ITT: Non-cape, live-action Cred Forums movies that don't suck

ITT: Non-cape, live-action Cred Forums movies that don't suck.

It looks like it sucks

Well it doesn't.

This looks like 90s trash.

Fucking youngfags.

right here.

Was pretty good, even though I wasn't very receptive at the time of my watching it.
I purchased the comic for the friend who showed it to me, but sadly haven't been able to read it yet.

How is this Co?

Pretty great movie

They made a Daria movie?

Do your fucking research.

>Ghost World
>doesn't suck
pick one

I hated Enid

American Splendor

>searching through the tv guide
>see "Annie"
>oh boy oh bo-
>it's the 90s remake

Ew.

Annie is amazing though.

So much better than the comic.

It looks like it sucks.

I unironically enjoy the Garfield film.

I read the list three (3) times. It all adds up.

Does Hellboy count as capes? Got me into comics as a whole. That Goblin Market scene is still the gold standard in my mind as to what goblin markets look like. That may not sound like it means much, but I read a lot of urban fantasy and even ran a few Changeling games in college. Hellboy is right up there with Pan's Labyrinth for faeries.

I liked the first Casper movie and Richie Rich when I was a kid.

Hellboy's cape-ish enough, where I think it's okay to include it in cape or non-cape lists.

You're supposed to. The main characters are pseudo-intellectual, elitist bitches. The comic better illustrates their destructive behavior and eventual possibility of real growth through different avenues IMO.

Oh, I thought it said Non action. Not just non cape. So have some JVCD.

>So have some Jean Van Claude Damme

>You will never live in a world where his name is Jean Van Claude Damme and his catchphrase is "Claude Damme it!"

memes aside it was a very good movie

one of my faveorite movies of all time, just really did everything right for me desu
but i saw the movie before i read the series, so maybe i'm a bit biased

>tfw you will never stand behind old Jewish women in the supermarket
Why live?

This board is so fucking utter trash. This board should be called /Cape faggotry and cartoons/. It seems 95% of people who read comics on this board read superhero comics only.

To be fair, Ghost World is possibly the most boring comic Clowes ever made.

Who /wilson/ here? Now THERE is a comic worth reading and rereading.

Road to Perdition
A History of Violence (as says, better than the comic)
Sin City (though the sequel isn't much good)
Tamara Drewe
Dredd

Does the Rocketeer count as a cape? If not, add that to the list.

i don't know why people complain that most of the board talks mainly about the biggest and most popular genre of comics on a comics and cartoon board, like of course most people talk about supes nigga, that's all most kn ow. not saying it's right or fair or anything, i'm just saying

Yeah, I noticed too late that I got the letters wrong.

> i saw the movie before i read the series, so maybe i'm a bit biased

1) Likewise. This is the movie that got me into comics. However, I watched it when I was 14, and I never watched it again out of fear that it won't hold up in the 6 years since I've seen it.

2) to be fair, I think it's best to watch a film adaptation before reading the source material. Doing it the other way /usually/ leads to disappointment. Less out of the quality of the adaptation, and more out of the fact that reading the source material beforehand could create some expectations that the movie probably can't meet, possibly lowering your enjoyment of it.

There's nothing wrong with being ignorant, but they shouldn't be barging into our few non-cape threads to show off their ignorance.

I dont consider it cape

If you want to see a thread that actually doesn't belong on Cred Forums, try:
>not a comic
>not a cartoon
>not based on comics
>not based on cartoons
>22 hours old, 260+ replies
Why is this allowed?

You first, OP.

This'll come off as hipsterish as fuck, but it would be nice to come to Cred Forums to engage in the more esoteric and obscure aspects of various mediums. You'd think people here would specialize in such things. Can talk about fucking cape comic movies everywhere else.

It does seem weird, given that if you look at other boards like /lit/ or Cred Forums, their main discussions aren't about current top-sellers, whereas here the current top-sellers are the main thing discussed. It'd be like /lit/ having 90% of its discussion about YA novels and Dan Brown.

And yet it's a million times more civil than this thread. :^)

Did Cred Forums like this movie?

It couldn't have been worse than Jem.

DU JOUR MEANS FRIENDSHIP

Josie and the Pussycats was far better than it had any right to be.

Difference in industry plays a large role. It'd be like if YA and Dan Brown made up 80% of the entire prose market if you wanted to make an apt comparison. Generally speaking sci-fi and fantasy comics are well-received here. We even used to have regular Franco-Belgian threads, but I think the differences in publishing schedules kinda screw with people.

It's a genuine classic.

Uh, no?

Capes don't make up 80% of the market. They make up 75% of _sales_, but not of the amount of actual product available (big difference). And this only the case in America (other countries are better than us), and this is only the case in America's direct market (the newsstand market and bookstore market are much more non-cape).

The original comparison was much better. Cred Forums doesn't have an excuse for focusing almost-exclusively on capes.

I still love it.

I unironically love it.

I don't get all the hate on cape comics here. We talked the hell out of Y,Pride of Baghdad, and 100 Bullets. We had Ghost World threads before, Stuff of Legend and IKG but you can only talk about the same story so many times. There's a lot to dissect and discuss when the story is over but how many times can we have the same thread about the same book? Cape shit updates is all I'm saying and just because you never hopped into a SAGA or Black Science thread when it was new doesn't mean we haven't/didn't/don't still have Lucifer/Sandman/B.P.R.D threads. Or that when something that enough of us like to talk about comes out that isn't cape we won't discuss it either.

>Cape shit updates is all I'm saying
Every week there are dozens of non-cape comics released. The fact that Cred Forums only discusses the popular comics doesn't mean that the unpopular comics don't get updates to their discussion potential too.

Plus it's dumb to act like there's such a miniscule selection of older comics to talk about.

We had a million Gotham academy threads, we discuss Hellblazer. If you want to talk about something/introduce people to a comic you like make a thread for comics you like. I came into this thread ready to talk about the great music in this movie but while I was reading the thread it turned into another bitch fest which is no fucking fun. There's a lot to talk about in cape genre, the characters have a lot of history, most user here grew up on Superheroes, they aren't stand alone stories. There are reasons why these topics get brought up.

Kingsman

There's a Dan Clowes storytime up right now. Nobody's reading it. Nobody's posting in it. The system doesn't work.

The reason people keep lobbying for a separate cape board (which will never happen) is that coming here and seeing capeshit everywhere is like going to Cred Forums and having nothing but mobile game topics. It's the fucking worst.

Pretty sure it's one guy who keeps pushing for /cape/.

It would be nice if live action fucked off to Cred Forums though

I'm not in that thread because it's in black and white. Personal preference sorry. But best believe I read that Cat Man comic. I went out and bought the trades of Tokyo Ghost after it got story timed.
And the reason that's still a bad idea is because this board was slow as fuck before it got popular, and it will turn into /lit/ or /ic/ levels of crawl if we get separated. Seriously who the hell thinks manga&comics or anime&cartoons board would work we'd kill each other or they'd both didn't turn into waifu fag boards. Just waifus all the time.

>people who think that slowing down is a bad thing
The faster a board is, the worse it becomes.

Tell that to people with slow boards as their homeboard. But wait there aren't any. Speed just means there are more posters. Cred Forums is a mixed bag of quality and it's fast. You never have threads that pit genre's against each other unless it's shitposting and you can definitely tell when it's shit posting.

Dredd is cape.

Nope.

You sure proved your point there.
All gimmicky costumed action stuff is capes.

She was supposed to be a standard stuck up 18 year old.

You haven't read his other works if you think Ghost world is his most boring.

No, super powers are cape

Prep time isn't a superpower.

I hope that you're not trying to make some sort of joke about David.

I fucking love Super. Even if it has that shoehorned biblical shit in it. It's done tastefully enough.

>Sequel never

I knew next to nothing about Dredd and I still loved this movie when I saw it.

God fucking dammit, why do all the fun movies never get sequels, like Pacific Rim?

I thought that was in production.

That's pretty much I just said except you condensed "pretentious, elitist" into stuck up and bitches into "she". Regardless, she's not supposed to be looked at very favorable at the start of the film or especially the comic and by the end both of the protaganists are starting into their own idea of growth.

I want to see a Pacific Rim sequel about Ron Perlman beating monsters to death with his other shoe.

Nope, you're wrong. Fucking Americans and their narrow views of genre. Dredd is Dystopian Sf.

I swear to god if you're lying mang

I don't even care what the story is, just give me more gigantic fucking robots punching the shit out of monsters.

Reeeee not based on a comic or a cartoon, go back to Cred Forums, reeeee.

They're making a sequel, but slashed the budget hard and replaced del Toro with a nobody.

Ah yes, like Watchmen.

Ah, yes like many other works. You're being obtuse. Calling Dredd capeshit is like calling 1984 capeshit.

outperforming a downy isn't anything impressive

Was the new Annie bad? It seemed popular in general but rarely gets mentioned on Cred Forums.

/lit/ liking obscure stuff is not fun. I love books and wanna discuss, I dunno, Survivor Bears or The Series Of Unfortunate Events but they only like discussing the most mature philosophical stuff and books that are 200 years old.

Jem was an abomination against all that is holy. This was an awful adaptation too but at least can be enjoyable.

Casper was good. Ritchie Rich wasn't.

I use mainly /u/, /vr/, /vg/, Cred Forums, vand /an/: aka slow boards. They're much more appealing than fast boards like Cred Forums. You can actually talk and discuss stuff. Most of my Cred Forums threads are archived within 1 hour. Even Cred Forums manages to be faster than Cred Forums for some reason.

>that don't suck.
They why did you post Ghost World?

Its funny because the creators of Dredd actually hate hero comics and have done a story explicitly about how much they hate them

I'm so sorry we don't know your indie hipster garbage.

I want a retro Cred Forums board and likely a classic Cred Forums board (discussing silent films is impossible there) but separating Cred Forums into a /cape/ doesn't make much sense. I doubt it'll make people suddenly wanna watch about Jem and the Holograms or Lumberjanes more. It'll just cause a bunch of generals like /mlp/ has on /cape/.

I just want cartoons of my board

You can have cape comics take place in a dystopian future. Doesn't make them any less cape.

Is V for Vendetta a cape comic? What about Hellblazer and Sandman?

V for Vendetta and Sandman have been written by one person, and in a non-capey way. Hellblazer, like Judge Dredd, has been written by several writers, and there have been instances where he's written as a cape.

This. The comic was horrible but the based duo of Matthew Vaughn and Jean Goldman managed to salvage it into a pretty enjoyable flick.

>/m/ exists due to how much mecha shit there is
>/cape/ doesn't despite there is as much cape shit

>ghost world
>not suck
muh vinyls and yuri

I hate both the movie and the comic

The movie was ok. I did not like the British bits in training. comic was tryhard shit

I admit I wouldn't like this movie half as much if it wasn't for Edgar Wright.

what's up with Cred Forums and their obsession with capes? grow up faggots

Calling a Judge a cape. That's 20 years in the Iso-Cubes for you.