This looks like it was drawn by an 80s Saturday Morning cartoon artist with a gun to his head...

>This looks like it was drawn by an 80s Saturday Morning cartoon artist with a gun to his head. Superficially trying to look like classic cartoons, it confuses 30s rubber-hose style with 40s pear and sphere style and gets every aspect of both styles wrong.

>No clear distinct shapes in the design or poses. Everything is cluttered. The clothes don't follow the forms underneath - they bulge out in awkward wrong directions. It's not visually funny or well designed or remotely human. It's completely contrived, awkward and insincere. It screams "lie".

What did he mean by this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yeBHZuC1F90
youtube.com/watch?v=v1W-wnh__DM
legion1979.tumblr.com/post/53244951390/animaniacs-stew-episode-35
youtube.com/watch?v=lNJ6dFwh8a4
youtube.com/watch?v=AZuYGCHOKzI
youtube.com/watch?v=ed-hUoeHcz0
amazon.com/Essential-Bugs-Bunny-Mel-Blanc/dp/B003U0AHGE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475441598&sr=8-1&keywords=the essential bugs bunny
twitter.com/AnonBabble

He didn't like it.
>They bulge out in awkward wrong directions. It's not visually funny or well designed or remotely human.
The irony would be funny if it weren't so sad.

animaniacs was shit

He means, "I'm bitter that Ren & Stimpy wasn't as popular as Animaniacs."

it's pretty clear what he meant, unless english isn't your first language; then i could understand someone not getting what he was saying

ren and stimpy was better anyways

Hi John K

Fuck off John, shouldn't you be making Cans Without Labels?

Calm down, OP. Just breathe.

they look fine

John is the Shyamalan of animation.

The lack of character distinction showed in the animation too. Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, and Pinky/Brain were animated like they were made by spastics who didn't know much about gestures and were trying to give the audience whiplash every other second.

I even remember listening to BTAS commentary where they mention bad, unnecessary experimentation in the those shows.

They were both shit.

TMS is the only reason why Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, and Pinky and the Brain are remembered at all.

>implying ren and stimpy wasn't the same way

Sure they are Senpaiicom, what's next? Tne girl from hamtaro is the new bugs bunny?

give it up john.

there's more to a show than animation.

you fucking hack

Honesly, I agree with this. It fails to remind me of old time animation, and just comes off as trying to.

Doesn't mean I think it's awful though. I mean, come on, it was made in the 90's for gods sake, the fact it was popular baffles me period.

The Dover Boys of Pimento University looked disgusting when they cameoed in the show. I can see where he's coming from.

Does John K really hate Animaniacs or is this just a meme?

John K hates everything that isn't made by him.

Idk but Animaniacs is hilarious. It's a sketch comedy particularly filled with parodies, why does their appearance matter that much?

if a cartoon's mission is hearkening back to 30s and 40s warner brothers cartoons, a subject very dear to John K.'s heart, it's game to be looked at with a certain level of scrutiny.

Wasn't it originally made 20 or 30 years earlier to be a parody of those old cartoons and hated? Or is that just a rumor?

>it was made in the 90's for gods sake, the fact it was popular baffles me period.

It was on the air in an era when old-time animation was still everywhere, for hours per day. If you grew up on that, Animaniacs came across as more relevant, if not funnier.

Then Warner consolidated all of the Looney Tunes, Popeye, Tex Avery, Tom and Jerry, and Scooby-Doo on CN/Boomerang without actually requiring that they show them. CN strategically backbenched LT, Avery and Popeye to keep their popularity and ratings from threatening TNJ and Scooby, the two on which CN also received merchandising revenue.
And that's where we are today.

They just wanted to riff on Warner Brother's company culture a little. They're based on Bosko, a character Warner Brothers pretty much locked away for decades.

Tiny Toons also made a more overt reference to him, though both shows completely avoid the blackface subject.

I think the shows mission was to make fun of everything it possibly could. The comments in the OP sound like he took the show way too seriously but really, he sounds like a big hater.

It means he's angry at a TV show for not looking like theatrical cartoons that took a couple of years to make each, and didn't slavishly follow the old styles to his liking.

Respect where respect is due, but John K and Chuck Jones were both very territorial people, to a point of pettiness. This doesn't detract from what they've accomplished, but should be kept in mind while reading the bile they spew at others.

>What did he mean by this?
Old man who had a short taste of the limelight doesn't like thing. It's his meaningless opinion

and yet for some reason time and time again people's reactions to it manage to fill up a thread.

I disagree. Pic related sounds like a big hater.

You know what? Fuck the Animaniac John K circlejerk. I just want more Dot in that dress.

John K has shit taste then.

Every time I leave Cred Forums I'm surprised at how many people actually like John K

>CN strategically backbenched LT, Avery and Popeye to keep their popularity and ratings from threatening TNJ and Scooby, the two on which CN also received merchandising revenue.
Dirty dealings even when it comes to cartoons? No escape.

For me it's the opposite. I'm surprised at how much Cred Forums hates him, Cred Forums can barely go a week without a John K hate thread.

I'm sorry that fanboy trolled the early Adventure Time threads so hard but it's time we move on.

I didn't have a problem with the character designs for the most part and the voice acting, but the animation was pretty shit. Too fast, too jumbled.

Anticipation, follow-through, lines of motion, secondary movement... these things were non-existent. It was often pretty hard to look at. It tried to be like the classic Warner Brothers animated shorts, but it was like they didn't understand those things were actually very well drawn.

>but it's time we move on.
No

Calm down John

Does he hate Cans Without Labels?

People today are so insecure in their tastes and opinions, they need everyone even remotely knowledgeable to agree with them perfectly at all times or they get so fucking threatened and flustered, it's sad. I don't agree with a lot of John on a lot of things but he has interesting views I love reading his old crank blog posts

>in case anyone cares - is this is one of the times I disagree with John? No, his take here is perfect. I still like Pinky and the Brain but on the whole Animaniacs blows - but muh finger Prince!! mature references for mature viewers such as myself

John K. is a very jealous man.
I love Ren and Stimpy, don't get me wrong, but his ego is so inflated, that he believes himself to be important in the current animation industry, despite having no part in it.
He doesn't like Iron Giant, either. I can't like a nigga who doesn't like Iron Giant.

I seriously hope Famicom doesn't get Barneyfag'd.

He only likes Daffy Duck cartoons made before Bugs Bunny was popular and shits on literally everything else of the era. Dumb nigger doesn't think animation should have plots that exist as something other than a coathanger for gags.

>before Bugs Bunny was popular and shits on literally everything else of the era.
But he's right. Bugs Bunny ruined so many Daffy shorts that it hurts.

Shymalan is more productive.

Really when you think about it Animaniacs was a show DESIGNED for immature adult men with inflated ego's.

Have you ever seen how much Doug Walker praises it? He is the archetypal moron who think's he's mature for understanding "adult" jokes and references when in reality they're mediocre and unfunny and forced as hell.

Jon k is such a little hack bitch

Why is he touching thier bums?

Better question, why is he ignoring Dot's?

>people comparing John K to Miyazaki because he dislike the current state of the industry he worked on
>people comapring John K to Moore because he doesn't like anything

These are not valid comparisons, Miyazaki and Moore actually had a influence in the medium they worked on and are well recognized by the public and critic. John K is a literally who surviving of being and scamming people online who did that weird show in the 90's most people don't even remember.

Also Moore hates the industry because its corporate leanings fucked him as an artist, while Miyazaki hates it as part of his overall environmentalism and pessimism. Neither of them hate young'uns for not respecting old cartoons enough and expanding the range of storytelling, if anything both have railed against artists that only stick to stale old concepts just because they worked in decades past.

>Anticipation, follow-through, lines of motion, secondary movement... these things were non-existent

Fucking this. Many of the over-budgeted 90s WB and Disney cartoons felt like animators were dicking around rather than trying make something visually coherent. It's as if their crews looked at Clampett's stuff for 30 seconds and then tried to replicate the techniques from poor memory.

He likes Mike Judge stuff, believe it or not.

Hey John, why haven't you completed Cans Without Labels yet?

Am I the only one who thinks Animaniacs is actually pretty fucking overrated? Mind you, I like it, I don't think its bad, but I think it could be the most overrated cartoon in history.

it is

I'm afraid to ask what that means.

Strawmen AND bait? What bountiful gifts, user!

I've only seen him criticize Chuck Jones Bugs and the studio homogenizing the whole Looney Tunes cast to be like those cartoons, not the character itself.

Here's the thing: kids generally don't give a flying fuck about animation quality, they just care whether something is entertaining. Animaniacs was entertaining far more often than it wasn't. That's what matters.

If animation were the only thing that mattered, we'd have to declare the opening sequence of the original Thundercats to be the best fucking thing ever because holy shit that was some gorgeous animation. Animation quality does matter, but solid scripts can sometimes overcome bad animation, and Animaniacs did just that.

Deal with it, John K dickriders.

what article did he say this?

As a whole, it's far from the best thing ever. But certain segments/episodes are in contention for being some of the best fucking cartoon segments of all time.

>THE DRAGON! THE DRAGON! THE DRAGON! THE DRAGON! THE DRAGON! THE DRAGON!

are you legitimately mentally disabled?

John K. is a great example of "those who can't do, teach".

I dont care for any of his cartoons but he's one of the most knowledgeable animation fans on the planet.

>repeating the same word 6 times over is somehow considered a highlight of western animated humour
Now that's fucking sad.

when did he start that? 2004?

It's not. The payoff to the gag is, though.

I just want to say that you're all fags and that Freakazoid was more humorous than animaniacs could ever hope to be.

I do think the references have dated it.
Still a lot of gold in there.

>solid scripts
Stopped reading right there. Cartoons need CARTOONISTS, not writers. Writers are a a parasite and leech on my beautiful art form.

Anyway, I thought of a really good joke. So basically, the camera zooms in on this guy's gross sweaty butt, and then he rips a massive fart and, uh, the fart comes alive and chokes the guy out with his fart gas. We can spin that into a short and have it done within a few months of the deadline.

Freakazoid was the better series.

Well if you're CARTOONIST, Johnny, then why the fuck have you got into animation? Animation needs animators, not cartoonists.

>this was posted one day before my birthday
The greatest gift I could ever ask for.

AHAHAHA! It's funny because it's true!

>What did he mean by this?
Take, for example, the chin lips. Instead of having anatomy, the lower lip is just a chin, and the mouth is a magical hole that is not really attached to the face anywhere.

This is true to other aspects of the design, and makes the character design (and animation) look bad (for certain people)

Take this, for example. While superficially similar, here the character has a chin and a lower lip, and even though their mouth distorts in completely unnatural ways, it's still completely embedded in the character's anatomy.

Contrast with this, where the lower lip and the chin have little or no relation, but the lack of distinction is clearer in OP's pic with Yakko's mouth which floats off his face.

This is one aspect of character design and animation style that doesn't understand the motion of rubber hose or the geometry of pear and sphere.

Does it matter to kids watching the show? I don't know, but I do know that this type of devolution in character design eventually leads to...

...amateur hour like this. Do good design principles matter when it's just a fucking cartoon? Probably not to most people.

Just a reminder that John K said this.

>I tend to be more demanding of comedies since a lot of them have similar elements which gets tiring after a while. Plus, I don't find Japanese humor very amusing so I end up not watching a lot anyway which gives me a notion that there are a tiny number of really good ones, and that most of them suck.

In short, TMS burned him when John was on Tiny Toons that he attacked his whenever he could.
No it was not.
No, the team behind those show word on lots of Ghibli movies, Little Nemo and Akira, far from spastics.
You also have a big shot movie director on board as well.
We don't have a 2010s version of Bugs since all the 2010s had for Hamtaro were reruns.

Remember what happen with Mighty Mouse, the same can happen with Laura Haruna as well (before the golden staff retires as we deserved better then Blue Jacket).
Theres music as well.
youtube.com/watch?v=yeBHZuC1F90
What are you even talking about?
No, it was made for intelligent otaku and was made to ass rape Gainax, they did and how.
We have already debunked that, after all, Spumco was the Ghibli of the west.
No, TMS put in their heart and souls into the cartoons and reversed engineered those cartoons so that they can be the Ghibli of TV animation (they were already a subcontractor for Ghibli anyway).
Seek help.
It's not.
Yes they do, otherwise they woulds of not jump to net streaming and Studio Mir won't be as big as they are right now if people did not care.

The issue is that nobody is competing against Mir and they are allowed to run a monopoly and nobody is stopping them.
That is Japanese humor, not western humor.
No, it was on par.

Part 1.

>...amateur hour like this. Do good design principles matter when it's JUST A FUCKING CARTOON?
triggered.png

It's funny because Magisword's creator despises John K.

TMS shill pls leave

Probably because he can't animate for shit and all his designs are some horrible mix of Anime faces and the worst trends of western animation.

Part 2.

Tiny Toons & Animaniacs had CARTOONISTS running the show, you have folks like Toshihiko Masuda and Kenji Hachizaki putting in their hearts and souls in to those shows just so that they can be the Ghibli of TV animation.
It was on par.
Read this.
What do you expect from a country who 99% of the time does nothing but downwards "D" lip flaps, TMS did a excellent job on this.
Yes, yes it does, otherwise Mir would of been out of business by now.

how the fuck can we get TMS to animate our cartoons again?
how much do they charge for outsourcing?

Dude you are thinking of Avatar/Korra, even Voltron:LD does the same thing.
Not from him, stop pin pointing.

Here we goes!

youtube.com/watch?v=v1W-wnh__DM

>I don't find Japanese humor very amusing

It could be amusing if they didn't explain the joke every fucking time.

I think Animaniacs has aged like a fine wine, but mixed with cheap alcohol. You can really enjoy several segments of it, but sometimes the animation feels off or disjointed, and not in a fun cartoony way. Other times the humor relies on current events or celebrity guest stars, and that's not necessarily a bad thing, but going back and rewatching the series, I've noticed that some jokes haven't aged well.

Personally, I think Looney Tunes pulled it off a tad bit better in their hayday, since the celebrity caricatures were funny even if you didn't get what they were referencing, whereas with Animaniacs I felt like you had to know the character and be up to date with their history to really appreciate some of the jokes.

Rest assured, though, I think alot of the comedy has held up, and some of the cast are still A material to this day, like Slappy Squirrel and Goodfeathers.

>TMS did a excellent job on this.
TMS shill pls leave. Being the best turd in the shitpile doesn't make you "excellent".

Chinlip.

I didn't say you're somebody in particular. I said you're behaving like a TMS shill by sucking TMS cock. For example you might be this guy
legion1979.tumblr.com/post/53244951390/animaniacs-stew-episode-35

Or you might be some other idiot that read that TMS do great animation and believe it because of autism or some other mental illness.

Just give them enough money and make sure they can edit the ideas (for the better).

>How much do they charge for outsourcing?
$2-3 million per 22 minute episode (for the wast anyway, also inflation), the episodes of Space Dandy (episode 2 and 17) for Bones and Aikatsu (most of season 1 and the movie) for Sunrise (Bamco never used them when they took over due to getting sick of idols/too many of them) cost more to make then their in house produced efforts.

>That anime snout on the girl

KILL IT

TMS shill pls leave.

And that why he draws like shit

John draws the ugliest fucking characters

I can't believe they let garbage like this air, and yet they won't pick up Wally Man.

why do they charge so much though

I can.

>people draw things differently, which is bad
good 2 know

TMS shill pls leave

How is Japanese alcohol? I know German & French alcohol are the best in the world but I don't know about Japanese alcohol, I know American and Canadian alcohol tend to be watered down but whatever, as I don't drink alcohol.
Remember.

>Good subcontractors.
Telecom (headliner studio), Tokyo Movie (main animation unit of TMS), Studio Jungle Gym, Nakamura Pro, Mushi Pro, Studio Nue, Flying Dragon (bland, but great).

>Hit and Miss.
Ajia-Do, KyoAni (Tatsuya Ishihara = good, Naoko Yamada = bad), Magic Bus (mostly miss), Actas (mostly meh).

>Bad subcontractors.
Tokyo Kids (they were so bad that they were pared up with Studio Jungle Gym & Mushi just so they can do retakes on Tokyo Kid's animation, later parted due to cost), Mizo Planning (got better in later years), Far Eastern.

>bad
Never said it's bad. I explained why John K calls Animaniacs "fake cartoons" (because they don't understand or implement the design and animation principles that they imitate), why TMS is a turd at animating and character design, and gave one example of a cartoon that further strays from these cumbersome design principles like anatomy.

Inflation, cost of living in Tokyo and quality standers.

I wonder if the Animaniacs fandom cultivates this meme or if it really is just one deluded person.

Dude, we have already debunked that, TMS is excellent at animating character designs, end of story.

...By making them furry. Zootopia's predecessor was about studio execs locking three black kids in a water tower for fifty years.

smug_anime_face.jpg

>TMS is a turd at animating and character design
The fact that you actually believe this makes you entirely delusional.

Does anybody have that page of character designs John K. did?

This strip's actually pretty sad when I found out he wasn't using this style ironically. The guy is obviously jealous of John "Hits the Pussy" Kicfalusi.

One was a post where he griped about a "best of Bugs Bunny" dvd that came out, and otherwise you just get that opinion from any of his posts about the Looney Tunes.

I could believe that he hits it, but not that he taps it.

>118 replies
>no one posted this yet

youtube.com/watch?v=lNJ6dFwh8a4

He can draw cute, but it's nothing special when it's not off-the-walls batshit crazy. Check out the Spumco Old Navy ads.

youtube.com/watch?v=AZuYGCHOKzI

what is John K.'s favourite Looney Tunes character?

I imagine he'd be an Elmer Fudd kinda guy. He probably gushes over his walk cycles.

walk cycles are boring as fuck though
explosions in animation are way better

DID SOMEONE SAY FREAKAZOID?
youtube.com/watch?v=ed-hUoeHcz0

God, you're an idiot.

It's not a meme, it's listing studios, in other words, facts.
This was the DVD he was talking about, it's worth it for the Greg Ford shorts and Carrotblanca

amazon.com/Essential-Bugs-Bunny-Mel-Blanc/dp/B003U0AHGE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475441598&sr=8-1&keywords=the essential bugs bunny

No, I'm not.

actually it was drawn by some poor shmuck in korea trying to make a living

Also high pay.

That episode that was traced from was from Japan, not Korea and those animators at TMS are rich.

All clip art for WB shows are done in the States.

If artistic quality were all that matters, kids would be watching the ARTS channel 24/7, but they don't, so it obviously isn't. Animation is boring with bad writing, and writing is unengaging with bland animation. The sad truth with animated shows is that good writing is often cheaper than good animation.

The Mona Lisa =/= The Great Piggy Bank Robbery, also if that were the case kids won't be jumping to Minecraft streams from TV animation.

>Animation is boring with bad writing, and writing is unengaging with bland animation.

The latter can sometimes be overcome by exceptionally strong writing. The former can never be overcome by even the most gorgeous animation. Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust is one of the most beautifully animated films I've ever seen, but the plot is thin and the characterization is just barely there. I enjoyed it the last time I watched it a year or two ago, but I'm not pretending that it's a fuckin' five star film because of its animation alone. (On the flip side, Beavis and Butt-head Do America has arguably bland animation outside of the hallucination scene, but the film is hilarious from start to finish because of solid writing.)