Never read a comic

>never read a comic
>Doesn't know anything about them
>interested in reading one

What would you recommend?

Other urls found in this thread:

desuarchive.org/co/thread/81525250/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'd recommend one based on a genre you already like. Same as if someone said "I've never watched tv/read a book/seen a movie, where should I start?"

A comic.

Read everything by bendis. And civil war 1. Greg lands art is pretty good too

Would you be more satisfied by being recommended a long ongoing arc or would you enjoy single issues that tell complete stories.

>Done in One's
Warren Ellis Moon Knight
Warren Ellis Fell
Grant Morrison Multiversity (helps to have a working knowledge of DC Universe)
Joe Casey Adventures of Superman #612-623 (not all done in ones but other arcs are 2-3 issues max).

>Long Story Arcs
Bendis New Avengers Vol. 1 was a fun ride and a good intro to "New Marvel".
Joe Casey Wildcats Vol. 3 was fantastic (although some exposure to Vol. 2 would help).
Joe Casey - Nixon's Pals was a neat graphic novel with fantastic art.
Garth Ennis Preacher, Hitman, and The Boys are all comics with a lot of heart and violence.
Robert Kirman Invincible is a superhero story that both loves super hero tropes with simulatanously defying expectations.
Kirkman-Diggle Thief of Thieves.
Mignola Hellboy and B.P.R.D
Remender Black Science
Gerard Way - Umbrella Academy
Nick Spencer - Bedlam (incomplete series)

Silver Surfer Requiem

Everybody seems to like Hellboy. Easier to get into than capeshit

Little Dot

DO NOT offer a first timer Multiversity you fucking lunatic

What do you want?
Genre? Theme?
If it's superhero stuff, what character would you like to read about?

I am not really into super heroes, I've read a tiny bit of preacher and i kinda liked it, maybe along that type of genre.

>Little Dot
>not Little Lulu
Are you TRYING to drive people away from comics?

why would you recommend fell it's not even finished and never will be

Locke and Key, great comic with amazing art. Every person I've shown it to has loved it.

Joe Kelly's Krypto one-shot.

I feel like it fizzled out near the ending.

>Also
Matt Fraction - Casanova
Jonathan Hickman - Secret

Good Mark Millar - Superman Adventures, Jupiter's Legacy; Jupiter's Circle, Superior (pic related), Huck, Marvel 1985, Kick Ass vol. 1, Chrononauts, Superman Red Son, MPH, Starlight, Marvel Knights Spider-Man #1-12

Edgy Millar - Ultimates Vol. 1-2, Wanted, Chosen, Supercrooks, Kick Ass Vol. 2-3, Hit Girl, Nemesis

Ellis, Millar - The Authority 1-29
Warren Ellis - Planetary

>recommending Multiversity to a newfag
You are one dumb son of a bitch.

Listen to this user OP.

Not OP, but theres a few characters I'm interested reading about in the comics
What would you guys recommended for the following:

>Dr Doom
>Mr Freeze
>Raven
>Cyclops
>Cyborg
>Magneto

Aside from that, does anyone have recs for comics with Romance in it?
Non cape shit preferably, but I'm open to anything

Jonah Hex. All of them.

Uh, when you say "romance", do you mean like, ideallic romance ala a "chick flick", or do you mean a dissection of what love is/means/how we express it?

Patience by Daniel clowes is a pretty entry level "graphic novel" (they're comics but for differentiations sake I'll use that word) about the latter. Uh, daytripper sort of? Is about love, though maybe not the romantic kind. Daytripper is by moon and ba.

Oh, asterios polyp!!! That's the best graphic novel about love by far

>>Dr Doom
Dr. Strange & Dr. Doom: Triumph & Torment
Books of Doom
Doomquest
>Mr Freeze
Beats me.
>Raven
Avoid Teen Titans, stick to the cartoons if you really have to.
>Cyclops
New X-Men and Astonishing X-Men. You'll follow later books easily.
>Cyborg
He didn't have book until recently. Start with his Rebirth series, it has only couple of isues so far.
>Magneto
His recent solo was nice. Age of Apocalypse, Fatal Attractions and mandatory book God Loves, Man Kills.

>>Dr. Doom
What If Doom Kept The Beyonder's Power?

>>Magneto
I'd recommend his Marvel Now! run.

None of those characters have runs in the comics that I would consider good

Comics are a format, not a genre. What interests you?

For Mr. Freeze, I'd recomment Batman: Snow. He's also got a pretty cool bit near the very beginning of Gotham Central.

Batman the killing joke and deadpool for plebiabs like uuu

Red Son, that's how I began.

What are some good comics with kid, teen, or young adult main characters?

I liked the start of Runaways.

Tomboy.

>pick a character that you like
>find a comic with them in it
>read it
>go from there

This. Also Girls by the Luna Brothers, Trouble, The Unfunnies and Wanted by Mark Millar

Supergirl: Adventures In The 8th Grade
Kickass and Kickass 2

Despite your shitposting Civil War 1 is best read as a casual so you don't notice a lot of the dumb bullshit and OOC writing. Bendis is likewise good for new readers since his runs are always jumping on places and take a lot of cues from TV and film making them an easy transition work, plus his pre-2006ish work is really good.

I don't think even first time readers think Land is anything but shit though

Hellboy is more fun and way better than most capes. Start with Volume 1- Seed of Destruction, and prepare for some good stuff.

I don't think Casey is really a great writer to start out with. Wildcats 3 could be different from 2 but in my experience his work is based on playing with normal cape conventions and to a newfag would probably be boring.

>Joe Casey Adventures of Superman #612-623
Is there an easy way to get this? I looked a while ago and I couldn't find a good collection of just his run (Adventures of Superman in general was hard to find)

They're Not Like Us
Young Avengers
Sweet Tooth

Hitman, it's by the same writer as Preacher so it has similar themes and humor but is less obnoxiously atheist and has far better art.

I'd recommend reading a comic

Zot!

>New X-Men and Astonishing X-Men
To clarify for him this is Morrison and Whedon right?

Spider-Girl
Current Ms. Marvel run (Kamala Khan)
Black Hole (much darker tone than the other two but very good)

Don't bother actually reading comics. Just scroll through Wikipedia articles, follow comic book news sites, overreact to single panels/pages posted out of context and pretend you're an avid comic book reader like most of Cred Forums

I'll storytime part of it tonight and the rest tomorrow.

Link Here

hell yeah

Walt Simonson's Thor run.

Scalped

There was a good Superman: Red Son storytime a little while ago. Read that.

desuarchive.org/co/thread/81525250/

Bomb Queen

Take your pick from Beetle Bailey, Little Nemo, Persepolis, Asterix & Obelix, Tintin, Peanuts, Calvin and Hobbes, etc.

Oh, and I suppose if you like capeshit, there's Action Comics #1.

Yes. I mean, Whedon's Astonishing is very newb-friendly, but I think that it best works if you read Morrison's New X-Men first.

Don't do it.

For about a year you're gonna find stuff you like, then develop a taste for it, then everything afterwards will be utter shit until you die.

>Cable & Deadpool
>Preacher
>Moore's run of Swamp Thing
>Neil Gaiman's Sandman
>Watchmen
>Nextwave
>East From West
>Transmetropolitan (though some consider it edgy, and arguably so)
>New Super-Man

>I see what you doin' there

You are a dumb-ass motherfucker if you are seriously suggesting OOC writing is excusable in any way, especially new readers

That's like servicing overcooked duck to someone who never had duck.

Seriously, consider killing yourself

Just for the record, I just started getting into the fray less then a year ago and started with these (among a couple others) and each has been very rewarding to read.

If you're going to read Civil War at any time it should be as a complete casual, that's the only time you'll enjoy it.

A new reader will probably enjoy Civil War because Millar has a very casual friendly writing style, it doesn't make the dumb shit Millar wrote good but chances are they'll like it.

Here's a smattering of non-cape stuff I thougjt of right now.

Ed the Happy Clown by Chester Brown
Love and Rockets by Los Bros Hernandez
Lint by Chris Ware
Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron by Daniel Clowes
Bone by Jeff Smith
Prison Pit by Johnny Ryan
Fun Home by Alison Bechdel
Scrooge McDuck comics by Carl Barks
A Contract With God by Will Eisner
Scott Pilgrim by Bryan Lee O'Malley
Green River Killer: A True Crime Story by Jeff Jensen and Johnathan Case
Parker: The Score by Darwyn Cooke

Give a glance at those and see if they pique your interest. There's a whole world of non cape stuff out there. Just have to grab them when you find them.

If you want a comic about love and autism read I Never Liked You by Chester Brown.

>Aside from that, does anyone have recs for comics with Romance in it?

Old reprints of Romance Comics, basically. Young Romance: The Best of Simon & Kirby's Romance Comics is pretty good. DC'sgot a showcase volume of Young Love out. Archie's pretty okay too. Then there's shit like Weird Love that focuses on collecting these old, weird romance stories where the topic is like "I can't get married because I'm fat!" and "oh no, my boyfriend is a communist!" which has this delightful kitsch value to it.

If you really want to read a lot of romance comics, manga's far better for it than western comics due to accessibility and the amount of stuff out there. Harlequin actually has an entire romance love manga line where the idea I think is that Japanese manga artists adapt old Harlequin romance novels into comics. I've been buying them recently on Comixology since every month they offer a new selection of handful of volumes for a mere buck per pop. They're Harlequin, so super cheesy, but kinda okay if you're into romance and know you won't get anything particularly big on substance or characterization.

Though if you're looming for romance manga recommendations, unless it has gotten better recently, don't go ask Cred Forums they get really mad at recommendation threads.

You have to make a bait thread where you declare one shitty title to be the best romance manga ever, like any title where after a lot of cockteasing the main girl turns out to be a total slut, and thus trigger the board to shit out what they think is far superior.

Power Pack by Gurihiru

Read from the left, to the right, then down, then again, left to right, until you reach the bottom of the page. Besides reading, I recommend looking at the pictures.

Now thing get dicey when sometimes the image continues past a normal page, then you have to treat that whole two page section as one, keep calm, you can do this, continue with your pattern, left to right, down, left to right until the end of the page, remember to read the words, remember to look at the pictures.

Read Glorious and Superior Eurocomics

Dc has deadman dark mansion of forbiden love coming up soon.

Why do so many of these threads start of with a request - and feature almost zero responses from the OP?

I mean, they clearly care so little about the medium that they can't even be bothered to put any sort of effort into considering what they might like - so is that why they get bored so instantly and don't bother responding to anons' advice?

Are these actually bait threads just designed to trigger people like me and waste everyone else's time?

^This!

Read some capeshit. It will save you from spending any more mind or cash to the medium.

You know, I've always wondered what Cred Forumss general taste of manga is. Mostly shounen shit I would wager, largely due to power levels, strange quirky powers and fighting being the emphasis.