How do you feel about the fact no artist will ever be as good as Moebius?

How do you feel about the fact no artist will ever be as good as Moebius?

Moebius thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cK-Lf_qP5m4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'm loving the current crop of artists directly inspired by Moebius since they grew up reading Heavy Metal or the Epic collections.

Also can't wait for those Dark Horse collections, really hope some Blueberry or The Long Tomorrow come soon

His influence is already so ingrained due to his impact on manga and 80s sci-fi concept art/production design, but yeah, direct inspiration is a little rarer.

>due to his impact on manga
I wish I knew more about that era of manga or that more of it were translated. I pretty much only know Otomo's Akira and Domu and Miyazaki's Nausicaa

forgot pic

I'm not an expert, but you have stuff like Dragon's Heaven that hews pretty close to his aesthetic.

It's in a lot of mechanical designers styles. Makoto Kobayashi and Kazuhisa Kondo both draw a lot from him in their designs. It seems like his influence in Japan is a lot like it is in the west where it's just so ingrained it's hard to notice. While he talks about being influenced by Todd McFarlane a lot, the guy who did Trigun used to crib a lot from Moebius early on.

Maybe there is some truth to this part of "Even a Monkey Can Draw Manga"

Wasn't this drawn with Geoff Darrow?

Yeah, this was part of a series they did together.

I wonder how Jodorowski's dune would had turned out. With Moebius being storyboard and art director of the project.

It might have been too ambitious for the effects technology of its time, but it would have been interesting. At least the Jodorowskiverse comics came of it.

Too good for this world. If I could have one canceled movie be made it would probably be Jodorowski's Dune.

>With Moebius being storyboard and art director of the project.

I wish they would put out a book for that, I don't expect full storyboards because I've seen a picture of that giant pile.

>If I could have one canceled movie be made it would probably be Jodorowski's Dune.
Yeah, as much as I want to see 90's Tim Burton do Superman

Art Adams is better.

Kaoru Mori is also better.

Art Adams peaked when he broke into the industry with Longshot and New Mutants Special. He was never able to actually create anything of his own and maintain it, I mean his DH comic lasted 3 whole issues and then he just became that guy who draws annuals and covers

His art quality never went down though.

But he hasn't produced anything worth reading since those three issues of Fantastic Four with Walt Simonson.

He didn't influence manga though. Another hack artist.

>*and her team of assistants

those faces seem out of place for such a detailed scene

Dude, density lmao

like that makes it any less impressive
youtube.com/watch?v=cK-Lf_qP5m4

so you're saying Winsor McCay is the greatest comic artist of all time? That's alright with me

>
>so you're saying Winsor McCay is the greatest comic artist of all time?

Yes. This.

Little Nemo in Wonderland is a towering achievement that every fan of comics should read, if only to realize that he created that amazing work one page per week, year after year, for almost twenty years.

A hundred years ago.

That guy Abaddon who does Kill Six Billion Demons is showing some real talent, as well as a strong muse.

Here's hoping!

Is it supposed to look like a dick and balls?

Koike Keiichi's a big Moebius fan. Pic obviously related.

Aside from the clothes and food tray, what the fuck's supposed to impressive about this? I mean, just look at at the other room in background. Fucking lazy.

>like that makes it any less impressive
As a matter of fact, yes, it most certainly does.

Manga's M.O (or at least it used to be manga's M.O) is detailed backgrounds with simple, expressive faces.

In your dreams, hipstershit, his "art" doesn't look 1/100 as real as the GOAT Alex Ross.

>Real = Good
You and your ilk are the reason western animation is for kids

>ITT non artists talk with authority about shit they do not understand.

Gets me every time.

Came here to post discount Moebius. Same color palette. Also lots of splash-pages that are busy as Moebius stuff.

Still love his webcomic.

Yeah its not like have eyes or anything. Fucking faggot.

The greatest ever.

Did he have any direct connections to the film? Was the heavy metal magazine translation of his trebuchet magazine, or war it just inspired by it?

I just recently learned about moebius, so forgive my little knowledge.

I believe it was inspired by his art but he didn't actually do any work on the film. How is that film? I'm not huge into metal but I heard its pretty good from a visual standpoint.

Not a good film per se, but a ball to the wall experience.

Its very good, but not that creative as it's mainly existing textile design.

The artist is undoubtedly incredibly skilled, but it's missing the imagination which made Moebius one of the greats.

So what's his style like? A bunch of stuff with a bunch of detail?

Because I don't see anything in these pics that indicates ''inspired by Mobious''

He made concept arts for Alien and other movies. He worked for Marvel after Stan Lee saw his works for Metal Hurlant.

Makes me feel down, desu. I go through my stack of HM magazines from early/mid 1980s and remember when my Mom had a subscription to it and the countless hours of pleasure reading them.