Dennis The Menace Gets “Dreamworks Face” For New TV Show For The BBC

bleedingcool.com/2016/10/03/dennis-menace-gets-pixar-face-new-tv-show-bbc/

>Dennis The Menace is one of the best known British comic book characters. Appearing in the weekly Beano kids comic since the fifties, he graduated to lead feature.

>But now this famed bullyboy is being aged up into this new CBBC series.

>And does seem to resemble someone from Dreamworks a little more… the eyes no longer meet in the middle, let alone merge…

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Tap0yCIEAqE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Huh. Never would have guessed that he's supposed to be Dennis the Menace.

He looks like a saiyan with Down's Syndrome.

There is an American Dennis and British one which has black hair and that striped shirt. No relation in terms of creator, just two separate guys who used the same play on words.

I have never been bothered by the dreamworks face before but holy fuck kill it with fire.

Gnasher's gonna rip that posh nonce right up

Fuck the British version then.

American Dennis is a little pussy

Hope you Brit anons like paying your license fees.

British Dennis looks like a fucking fag who watches too much anime

American Dennis would menace the fuck out of that britty twat

So 'Murrcan Dennis is a pussy boy while British Dennis is a certified asshole?

Huh. Never knew that.

And I was just about to set aside folder space for the inevitable New Margaret and New Gina and Joey lewds.

Wow. British Dennis looks like an outright dick. I don't remember much about American Dennis, but I don't think American Dennis was anything but decent-hearted. British Dennis looks like he puts scorpions on the teacher's chair.

I get the feeling he's going to have inexplicable droves of fangirls à la the Onceler.

He looks like the guy from Least I Could Do

Holy shit it looks like he should be renamed Dennis the Malicious.

Yep.

>British Dennis looks like an outright dick
He is. But by the same measure, American Dennis is a fag.

Generally speaking, fuck Dennises of all backgrounds and nationalities.

Yeah, it's essentially backwards.

Rude. What about Denise?

>I don't remember much about American Dennis
All I remember is how hot his mom is.

Absolute Madman!

What do you call a denary of Dennis? Tennis

does he have a Cockney accent?
he looks like he would.

He looks like Pajama Sam.

His face makes me want an M&M blizzard from dairy queen

Yeah Bong Denis sawed his families living room table because he felt like it. He's a prick.

>because he felt like it
It was FOR A LAUGH you knob

Oh hey! A Freddie Krueger origin story remake.
Fuck you Dreamworks.

I wonder why both Dennis' never had a crossover.

Because American Dennis was a clueless little shit who always meant well but inadvertently made everyone else miserable. That was his whole shtick. He was a menace due to his good nature. (and it was fucking tiresome)

British Dennis was an actual menace, hurting animals, children and adults alike both physically and emotionally. He would not stand for US Dennis for a second and would probably hit him for being a bender.

Epic Rap Battle when?

So I'm not crazy! No one I know remembers those tokens.

He was always beating off fags too

Also his dad was Hitler

Problem Child would wreck both their shits.

Wow so edgy.

Maybe there are better comics but the ones I've seen are pretty sad and weak. I pick Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes. More imagination.

How about never.

Calvin is just a sockpuppet for a jaded middle aged man to spout his cynical views. He doesn't have even the semblance of a child.

He looks far too old to be Dennis

They both first appeared within a week of each other. It's a really weird coincidence

Yeah, we get a shit ton of tv and radio with no adverts. The radio alone is worth the fee, any good TV we get is a bonus

Beanotown is up North isn't it?

>He doesn't have even the semblance of a child
He's full of witticisms, but backed by naivete and imagination
He's a child who has been a child for 30 years

He's not supposed to be like a real child no, but I don't care. It's philosophy stuff but funnier and more interesting than either Dennis.

Oh, and I started reading Calvin and Hobbes when I was five (I was just learning to read and mostly liked the pictures but picked up more little by little) and loved it the, so I disagree it lacks little kid appeal, at least. Calvin was very identifiable to little kid me.

Most changes to Dennis made since my childhood are Not Muh, but it is a lot more satisfying to see Walter get his arse beaten for being a smarmy prick than it was for him to get it just for being soft.

Looks like this asshole

How does Dennis keep getting new tv series' when the Beano has had a foot in the grave for more than half a decade now? I was under the impression that the only people who bought the comic these days were adult collectors and nostalgiafags.

>This is the top image on his wikipedia page

kek

British Dennis the Menace first appeared March 7, 1951, while American Dennis the Menace first appeared March 12, 1951, so if you go by "older is the real one" it's British Dennis who's the original and USA Dennis should pay licensing money for the right to use the name, if anyone - if that was your point

He's talking about tv licenses

He's still the flagship character

Hell, Bananaman is getting a live action film

No thanks. With UK Dennis you have to go full shithead. This is 30%, at best.

Ah I see, thanks.

>it's an "American only knows about British tv licences because Britain is the only culturally relevant nation (not) in Europe" post.

He... looks...

He looks...

HE'S FUCKING HANDSOME.

HE'S TOO FUCKING HANDSOME LOOK AT THIS SHIT.

SQUARE JAW, THICK EYE BROWS, EY! YOU! DON'T YOU HAVE A TOWER TO CLIMB? SOME POOR GIRL'S HAIR YOU HAVE TO PULL BECAUSE YOU FORGOT TO GET A FUCKING ROPE? SOME SLEEPING WOMEN TO MOLEST? "OHH I'M JUST GIVIN HER CPR" THAT'S NOT WHAT THE TWELVE MIDGETS SAID

this chart is wrong French public TV still has advertising, just less than the others

Probably why he's had or used to have an annual of his own every year, while everyone else seemed to have to accept some stories in the all-around Beano annual.

BBC doesn't feature advertisements. They do bring in money by exporting shows abroad, though.

Bash Street Kids had one too.

But Finland has a kind of a tv license fee, it's just in the form of a special public broadcasting tax. The person who compiled the chart is a retard

He used to be on the side of the paper cups.

If its so great, why do britbongs keep flipping their shit over it and demand the BBC be privatized?

I never said it was great. I don't have my TV hooked up, so I don't need a licence. I just use it for my PS4.

Bananaman is also getting a musical stage show.

is this an edit? it actually gave me a chuckle

Channel 4 and ITV get some public money IIRC.

>hurrr me am amerifat
>me am live in cave
>there are others who live in different cave?
>hurrr deyr cave dumb

Now I'm no tumblr tot but he looks too tall and thin to me

Dennis is a top lad you soft cunts

>>But now this famed bullyboy is being aged up into this new CBBC series.

But...Dennis only works as a little kid who doesn't know any better. Removing that aspect of the character by aging him renders any acts done as malicious rather than comical.

>Ten-year-old Dennis breaks a window while playing baseball. "Oops, sorry Mr. Wilson. I guess that homerun went home." Cue laughter

>Teen (15+) Dennis breaks a window while playing baseball. The act is viewed as a juvenile offense with punishment.

>baseball
>implying Dennis isn't malicious

the youtube videos aren't bringing in the ash anymore, eh?

As someone who grew up on both, the British Dennis is infinitely superior.

Depends on which version of Dennis we're referencing. I grew up with the American version and didn't know about the British one until years ago.

This user said it nicely. American Dennis is good natured, just unaware of his actions.

British Dennis is a chav that needs to be shot like a BLM rioter.

Astro Boy: The Teenage Years?

Beano and British culture Cred Forums threads were the best, why don't we have them any more?

American Dennis
>Lovable prankster embodying good-natured, wholesome shenanigans.

British Dennis
>Mean-spirited thug-in-the-making.

Wait, what play on words?

"Dennis" and "menace" rhyming, I'd imagine

That's why he's called a fucking menace you retard.

Hey, it's John Egbert.

You still have to pay a license fee though.

This is horrible. He looks like the sort of twat who would be in a boy band or a teen rock band. He'd probably be the rebellious one or something, and boy band-tier rebellious is not what Dennis the Menace should be.

I really like how, up until at least the 90s, and especially in the 70s and 80s, British comics and cartoons had a real rough around the edges, dirty feel to them. This pretty much applies to all forms of cartooning, be it for kids or political cartoons, we really embraced a sort of idea of ugliness (infer what you will on how that reflects on the British). Think of the Beano, Gerald Scarfe, Quentin Blake, Watership Down and Plague Dogs, even Raymond Briggs' stuff. But along comes America with its media steamroller and they have such a stranglehold on the world's media, especially having cornered the market in CG animation, that even the artists who aren't actually connected to it look to America's smoothed off, soft, toyetic animations and say "that's how it should be done". Cultural identity in art barely exists any more. So now we have a Dennis with no British charm whatsoever. Do these people have no integrity? If you want things to be noticed, it's because they stand out, not look like everything else.

At least we still have Aardman.

I've always thought of it being in Lancashire.

Why does Gnasher look cute and cheerful?

Because Americans shitpost in them.

Because homogeneity and inoffensiveness to appeal to as many demographics as possible.

He looks so punchable

Because Pixar and Dreamworks. Gotta neuter everything. Can't risk it having any edge, it might turn people off.

He honestly looks too soft. I can't imagine this kid being anything more than mischievous. Definitely not a Menace.

>Gerald Scarfe

Mah nig-nog

Brit public tv has advertising too. Channel 4 is publicly owned, supported by ad revenue.

Correct, but Channel 4 was set up specifically to be publicly owned.

In fact, all channels that produce Brit-made shows or teleplays get some public money, because it's all actually produced for them out-of-house by arms-length companies, which are eligible to claim tax relief and all sorts of shit. Doctor Who was part-produced in recent seasons with money from US taxpayers - by claiming relief on costs after spending an appropriate portion of its budget in the US.

That's just how tv and movie production works, of course. Tax breaks are simple incentives. It's why Star Wars is made here.

We don't. There's surprisingly little support for privatizing the BBC (or selling off Channel 4, though most people assume it's already independent).

What we do have is a lot of media owned by Rupert Murdoch and a select number of other, lesser billionaires, all of whom are keen on seeing the BBC privatized as it "unfairly" competes with their own privately-owned media, such as the Sky network (the equivalent to FOX). Lately Murdoch has also been complaining about BT (which is various companies, but began as British Telecom and was privatized in 1984 (over 50% sold to private investors, the government's remaining holdings being sold off no later than 1993) and suggests that it should have its "monopoly" investigated - because BT has its own sports channel and managed to bid successfully for the rights to some big sports Sky previously had a monopoly on.

Nobody much is a fan of Murdoch and a fan of football here - he put up the cost of match attendance by creating a new, Sky-exclusive Premiere League in the 90s, leading to the hyperinflation of player wages and the consequent inflation of replica kit, match tickets and other means by which fans show their support, not just in the clubs that became Premiere League but across the board.

That was not the image I wanted to post.

The support isn't for privatising the BBC, it's for getting rid of the License Fee or at least not making it a criminal offence to not pay.

I've got a big fat book of his art called "Drawing Blood", it's great.

Since I've been complaining about the influence of American animation, I'd probably be remiss to not point out that Scarfe did do the character designs for Disney's Hercules movie, but of course they softened it all up a ton.

Happen to have the full page?

This prick looks like the type of handsome private school cunt that'll do a day's work.

Old Dennis looked 5 years shy of chav-stabbing some unlucky fucker outside of a corner shop for a pack of fags.

SOFT AS FUCK.

How many Britbongs do you know? Are they the same ones that Fox News find who say the American healthcare system is better than the NHS?

Your Dennis is shit and you know it.

WHAT THE FLYING FUCK!?

American Dennis would come up to him with a weak-ass quip and a pun.

British Dennis would headbutt him and go full out soccer hooligan on his ass.

British Dennis also has deepest lore.

>listening to the radio in current millenium

>"And I don't like caps either - unless they're the banging kind"

Any more of Freddie Fear's mum popped up recently?

I want a cloak room.

I have so many fucking cloaks and I have no idea what to do with them.

He'll have a phone, won't he?

This looks like it's from Mad Magazine.

Old Dennis is new Dennis's dad and is married to a red head

I'll be honest I was surprised when I found out myself.

Ehhhh... I'm not a big fan of the redesign, but the CGI looks decent. I know it's just a promo shot, but it doesn't look as cheap as I thought it would. I'll wait till I see actual video of it before I pass judgement on it.

To be honest, Dennis hasn't been the same since his dad stopped beating him.

Bleeding softies, nothing wrong ever came out of giving a kid a damn good thrashing

youtube.com/watch?v=Tap0yCIEAqE

Because Dennis is a British icon. He's probably still commercially viable while the rest of the Beano is not.

That said it is all still doomed, they should have switched to long stories when they had the chance

Bash Street Kids is the superior comic

Because we are not a monolithic culture. And in general loud complainy people drown out people happy with the status quo

It looks alright. Glad Dennis is getting some attention.

>>Ten-year-old Dennis breaks a window while playing baseball. "Oops, sorry Mr. Wilson. I guess that homerun went home." Cue laughter
Wrong Dennis m8. This is the Dennis who deliberately breaks windows with his slingshot and gets spanked with a slipper

>Working somewhere that doesn't have a radio

Sadly not, Dennis's parents got a makeover from Gok Wan when the previous TV show came out to match character designs.

Which is a pity, because Dennis being the child of the previous Dennis and Minnie works so damn well

That artist did the best Bash Street.

Remember when the Beano added Singled Out so we got three pages of Bash Street per issue? Shit was so cash