Why is this show so much better than Adventure Time?

Why is this show so much better than Adventure Time?

youtube.com/watch?v=2F8HvKqnp5s

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hLqSODxRoZM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Wait, so the endings of the episodes combine into one huge song?

That's actually pretty damn cool.

Should I watch this show Cred Forums? My older sister is obsessed with it

>Should I watch this show Cred Forums?
I enjoy it. The only catch is that it takes a while to get going - the main character is annoying until he gets some growth, and it's quite a few episodes before the main plot gets more than hinted at. The character interactions are very rewarding to watch, though.

Only if you don't associate yourself with the fanbase.

because adventure time actively attempts to be as bad as they can get away with

Because you prefer one thing over another.

Or perhaps because you haven't tired of it yet.

The overarching plot of AT was bassically written as the show went on while most of the plot of SU was planned out from the beginning. SU still suffers from sometimes poor pacing of the plot elements due to its storyboard based nature.

You can but just remember the target demo is girls and the gays.

It has its moments, but is very uneven.

Ok, just finished the first two episodes. Show is already pretty damn fun. The writing is clever and I really like Steven's dad. The gems are an interesting trio, especially Garnet. I'm hoping I get to see a lot of Greg in this show, but considering the demographic I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't the case.

not much of an achievement these days desu

Greg is one of the creator's favorite characters and he shows up a bunch.

Also it's good that you're enjoying it now, general consensus is that the show doesn't pick up until around episode 8, again around 12-15, and massively at 25/26. Most people can only stomach a few of the early episodes, so if you enjoy it already you're in for a treat.

Adventure Time at its height is far funnier than any episode of Steven Universe.

SU is better for drama, lore, on-going story, etc. But AT is better for humor, funner plots, no townie episodes.

I would say watch it. Steven gets annoying unless you're a teenage girl or enjoy pacifist characters, but his friends and family make the show watchable. Now lets talk waifus because thats all the majority of /sug/ cares about in this show. Pearl will annoy you to no end with their constant drama speils and crying. Amethyst will either be lovable or a complete asshat depending on the episode. For most, shes fine. Garnet will be either lovable or disliked depending on whether or not you like the strong silent type character, but she is portrayed in a more loving, motherly figure as the episodes progress, so if you like her in the beginning you're going to love her later on. Stevens father is the butt of a lot of a few slapstick jokes and looks like a bum, but as you listen to the things he says you can tell he genuinely loves his son and is probably one of the best cartoon father figures in recent Cred Forums history. His friends are all normal people, and besides lars, who you will most likely hate, pretty much all of the townies are lovable and good people. If you're looking for action, look elsewhere. While the show starts off with a monster of the week plot and some decent action scenes, later on you will find the action to be dropping in quantity, but when they do happen its sort of makes up for it with an increase in quality. The soundtrack and art is amazing, the plot is okay as of now. Nothing special but it isnt complete garbage. The villains arcs are laughable, but like i said, this show isnt known for its action or plot. Its known for the characters, cutesy shit, and drama. Take the show at face value.

to me garnet really feels like she stopped being a character after the Return two-parter. A lot of her role since then has been relegated to muh fusion and detailing ruby and sapphire

Very true, but i chose to keep that out for spoilers sake.

>not know for plot

I would diagree. I guess in terms of how the story has played out its nothing crazy, but the lore is more well written than ANY other kids show, EVER. Seriously, I don't think theres been a contradiction yet.

It's nice to hear positive thoughts about this for a change. It's usually just the general posters shitposting aggressivly or people complaining about the show with such vitriol

Yep. Bits of the song were released over the first three seasons, and were only combined in the season 3 finale.

First season starts slow. You might want to skip ahead to Mirror Gem/Ocean Gem. Second season's best season. Third season has its moments. Haven't caught up on the 4th season yet, but from what I've heard, it's a bit slow again.

>The user likes Greg
>The user doesn't mind the early episodes

We welcome you into the fold, user

I generally try to look at shows for their merit, not my internet biases.

There's a certain charm so far that shows me how much potential the show has, especially with Steven's mom. Hopefully it doesn't go off the rails like AT or RS did, though this show seems like it wont be as episodic so I doubt that's gonna happen anytime soon.

Isn't season 3 just the latter half of season 2?

I feel like it's the perfect mix between RS and AT. It has stand alone episodes like RS, but it also a plot that doesn't crawl so far up its own ass like AT

Well, depends.
Do you like people getting into emotional turmoil and crying?
Because that's what happens a lot.
Not even fake stakes, actual problems.
Also singing. They do that a lot, too.
And deeply disturbing memories of what amounts to nuclear genocide, necromancy and post mortal torture.
It's a mixed bag, in a way.

Yes. CN broadcasted them as season 3 but those episodes were intended to be part of the second season

>trio
Watch the star door in the temple. That's gonna be important at the end of s01.

Season 2 was cut in half and became 2 and 3.

The planned season 3 was also cut in half into 4 and 5.

I was looking for a cute show about a fat magic kid and his gay superhero moms user

If what you're saying is true it seems I'm in for a ride.

Come for the comfy town scenes and gem capturing. Stay for the underlying emotional problems, deep lore and fun songs

Have you picked a favorite gem yet? It's mandatory that you pick a favorite gem

It's very subtly hinted at throughout the first 24 episodes, with a bit of drama here and there, then episodes 25/26 bring a lot of things into the light. The continuity's actually one of the show's biggest strong points, you'll see references to events and things from the first few episodes scattered throughout the show. Everything seems to get elaborated on at some point, and what hasn't as of yet clearly hasn't been forgotten.

For that exact reason it's strongly advised not to skip episodes. There's been a few misses here and there, but little things hinted at in the episodes, early on especially, frequently become major points later on.

Oh, they are so gay, I'm risking to sound like Trump describing how tremendously gay they are.
The super hero part is more of a... but I'm getting into spoiler territory.

It's not as good as adventure time was, but it's better than it is right now. Long and short of it is that adventure time has gone on too long so now it sucks.

this

Together Breakfast is still one of my favourite slice of life episodes. That stupid dubstep drop still gets me to this day.

Consider the fact that you're talking about kids cartoons, and literally the only kids cartoons with lore are SU and adventure time, gravity falls, over the garden wall, and and maybe star vs if you look gard enough. Can you please explain the lore to me becsuse the only "lore" ive seen so faw was space rock civil war.

Does Steven count? If not, then Amethyst is pretty great. Shes probably my favorite.
Yeah, I wasn't planning on skipping episodes anyway. If I was just looking for the plot twists I would read a summary or something. The show is enjoyable enough that I can sit through some filler here or there

Also, the music is damn good. Sounds like a weird jazz-pianio chiptune hybrid and it really works

>Amethyst

Acceptable

Oh yeah, the music's definitely one of the show's strong points. Early on the electric-chiptune stuff is more prominent, but it has scores that feature tons of instruments, it's actually extremely varied. You'll hear harps and strings about as often as piano and synth or even jazzy brass pieces down the line.

Is it bad if I say I really don't like Steven Universe? I watch it when it's on. I don't hate it. It doesn't impress me either. It's all the little things about it that grate on me. From listening to Steven's whiny ass voice to the pointless secondary characters stretching out filler episodes. I felt the same way about Hey Arnold in the 90s. What a terrible show, but watchable anyway.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

I feel the same way about Regular Show. You can't like everything that Cred Forums likes

Not everything is for everyone. But you still watch it, so there must be something about it that appeals to you.

I love Regular Show. I can see how some would hate it though. I was thinking about it a little more and there have been some SU episodes I actually enjoyed watching. The show is great from a technical standpoint, I like the art. It's just all that crap in between I can't stomach.

>SU is better for drama, lore, on-going story, etc.

But its good at none of those.

KND, Danny phantom, Fairly Odd Parents to an extent, are a few other shows with lore.

Both suffer from interesting buildup with very lackluster payoff.

>Posting an opinion on Steven Universe
>Easy (you)s

thank becky for the good old days of AT

youtube.com/watch?v=hLqSODxRoZM

Because AT started as a lolrandumb show and then tried to be a action comedy show, then reverted back to lolrandumb and jumped the shark a dozen times. Bubblegum is the same age as Finn and then two episodes later she's not, Finn loses a arm and it's a big deal except a couple episodes latter he gets it back.

SU started as a somewhat more serious AT, compare their first episodes, but when SU started introducing more action and drama elements they never looked back.

Because SU has true suffering where AT just has shitty relationship drama thats just finn getting cucked 24/7

Best Gem

>Why getting kicked in the stomach is much better than getting kicked in the balls?

It's not even a fourth as good.
>muh crying
>muh songs

>avatar isn't even mentioned

>muh ebic schaozow

What reason is there to prefer AT over SU unless youre an autistic child? It literally does everything better.

It is not
Adventure Time still beats it by having a better balance of comedy and drama
Steven Universe takes itself a bit too seriously at times

I say give it a try

Pretty sure he meant currently airing hombre, otherwise he left out a metric shitload.

cause it does not come even close

Steven Universe takes itself WAY too seriously, while Adventure Time is not ashamed to be silly, while still being able to pull off a serious plot from time to time

Literally the exact opposite. Have you even watched Adventure Time? Its so up its own ass with "le deep allegories" that it lost it's own fanbase. Even during SU's darkest episodes it can get a laugh out of the viewer. There are episodes of AT that made me legitimately regret wasting time watching them. I never feel that way with SU.

SU's first episode is about a kid sad that his favorite brand of ice cream got discontinued. It got popular by being cute, then shifted to a more serious tone once actual threats started coming in. Adventure Time started out as a fun show, then got popular when the creator revealed it takes place in a post apocalypse. Mortal Folly was the first real "Serious Plot" and it was almost immediately undone. SU not doing dumb shit like that doesn't mean it takes itself to seriously.

Adventure Time is constantly tackling subject matter it does not have the capacity or competence to tackle. Shit like nihilism, depression, self worth, etc. Jake the Brick or whatever its called is the most pretentious, dissapointing thing I've ever seen called "deep."

THIS
Ironically the AT equivalent of "Townie" episodes are usually god tier. Most of my favorite episodes have nothing to do with Fin and Jake.
Are AT and SU truly opposites?

KND and Avatar arent recent. If you were a kid when those shows aired you're an adult now, anons.

Yeah, they have been overdoing the surrealism and symbolism so much it's hard to follow AT sometimes. And with PB being not actually morally grey, but swinging wildly from well-meaning, competent, independent and friendly to cold, jaded, calculating and downright monstrous, it is hard to even pin down characters anymore. Or take Finn! At some point he was established as "Super Good", but then he goes and plays with people's feelings, gets selfish and abrasive at times.
The real problem is that AT is completely aimless.
Nobody even has an endgame. They just kinda dick around.

Well. SU is all about the whole picture, and the individual scenes. Setting up some scenes and points has made episodes suffer.
They just released 5 shorts that have completely different moods and are each one scene and they were each awesome. Now some of the episodes have had like that one scene they absolutely needed to do, but then had to make that into an episode just to get people there. Which is where they dropped the ball a bit.
On the other hand, AT episodes tend to have one big theme to them that works through the whole thing swimmingly, but they are so disjointed that they just don't add up to a show anymore.
Insofar AT's weird dream logic mostly works for the individual episode, but keeps the show treading water as nothing really happens to form a meaningful narrative.
SU has this really big story it tells and characters in a net of relationships and personalities that generates conflict and progression almost automatically. Which makes the episodes that go away from that a lot more jarring because you feel how they drop the strings hard and just do something else.

>Its so up its own ass with "le deep allegories"

not that guy but can you post an example

Well, have you been keeping up with what the fuck Finn's swords are supposed to mean, what that flower arm thing was about or what the thing with his father was about?

>its another "Shitven Universe picks a fight with another mediocre cartoon" thread