The Orthodox Church

This is a thread to post in for the Orthodox and inquirers.

This is the Church Christ founded. Ancient, Apostolic, the One Church, the True Church

youtube.com/watch?v=AE1FzSC8DBs

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Y4xL0cDKWUs
youtube.com/watch?v=0fMJ9EdtVJc
youtube.com/watch?v=XP0J2eDPIjU
biblicalcatholic.com/apologetics/num44.htm
christiantruth.com/articles/mt16.html
biblicalcatholic.com/apologetics/num16.htm
biblicalcatholic.com/apologetics/num53.htm
biblicalcatholic.com/apologetics/num52.htm
biblicalcatholic.com/apologetics/num51.htm
catholicbridge.com/downloads/Papacy_early_fathers_debate.pdf
catholicherald.co.uk/news/2016/05/17/pope-francis-hails-election-of-sadiq-khan-as-mayor-of-london/
lifesitenews.com/news/orthodox-church-in-america-aims-to-protect-itself-from-lawsuits-with-strong
nypost.com/2016/04/22/pope-francis-reneges-on-offer-to-take-in-christian-refugees/
reuters.com/article/us-usa-pope-gay-idUSKCN0RW20O20151003
stmarys-waco.org/documents/Grounds for Marriage Annulment in the Catholic Church.pdf
ewtn.com/expert/answers/marital_consent.htm
catholicnewsagency.com/news/most-marriages-today-are-invalid-pope-francis-suggests-51752/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

youtube.com/watch?v=Y4xL0cDKWUs

I was raised protestant but want to convert to orthodox, should I?
What are the main differences?

You forgot Catholic

YOU COULDNOT F-CK YOU WIFU, ONLY THE LORD CAN

The Orthodox place extreme emphasis on fasting and contrition as part of the Christian lifestyle. Also Orthodox see pursuing perpetual prayer as spiritually desirable, to literally be always praying.

There are may too many significant differences to easily list, though.

They're heretics

that's if you want to be a monk

but traditionally, the obligations of a son of orthodoxy is slightly more virtuous and noble than that of a catholic

No, those are obligations for everyone. As Saint John Chrysostom points out, the only extra obligation a monk has is to remain celibate.

Christ never founded a specific church and apostolic succession is a load of crap.

Orthodox and Catholic are just other names for heretics. Restoration style churches are the only true christians.

Christ did establish a Church and conferred the Spirit of Truth upon it. Arriving at true Christianity isn't about coming up with the "real" Christianity, it's about being the assembly that continuously had the Spirit of Truth with them since ancient times.

>This is what heretics actually believe

I feel bad that you, fampai.

John 16:12-16

Acts 2:1-4 tells of the Spirit's coming.

It bothers me that you guys have no idea what the Holy Spirit is or how it works. It's even worse that you cling to false dogmas and doctrines instead of the truth.

It bothers me that you think you know how God works.

Even though im a sufi muslim, I really respect the orthodox religion, and was an Alter boy for 5 years, as my nene is orthodox.

It's pretty basic stuff, friend. I take it you've never cracked a Bible open based off that response.

Can I have anal sex as an orthodox?

No kys fag. Anal=sodomy

You were an alter boy but you weren't Orthodox? I don't believe you.

The Bible doesn't explain how God works, it only describes his workings

Dear orthodox friends. Please don't give in to current pope.

Keep yourselves pure. Also our God is the God of love. Be blessed.

I meant with a woman

So how about you tell me all about Mary having anal sex I hear the Orthodox say

Especially one by the name of Constantine

THIS.
ALSO DO GOOGLE "ХЛЫCTЫ CEКTA"

Nigga, what do you think the schism was about? They tried to pull that Donation of Constantine nonsense back in the day and the Pope hasn't been considered part of the Church since

Orthodox don't teach that Mary had any kind of sex

How come Contantine the tripfag keeps saying that?

Even Patriarch Kiril agrees

Markella Greek orthodox church in Mary Ester, FL

Source?

I don't believe you were an alter boy there.

I reiterate my previous statement. Study the Bible sometime, if your sect permits it that is.

I was lmao. Why would I lie? My family is a mixture of Bektashism and Orthodoxy

The Orthodox Church never stopped translating the Bible and always encouraged studying it. We have an ongoing tradition of Bible study from ancient times. I read Scripture regularly.

I don't know why you would, but alter boys *have* to be Orthodox, therefore I do not believe you. Even regular Orthodox can't enter the alter, they aren't going to let Muslims

I learned from secular school that the schism was all bout some political nonsense. "schism" almost sounds like a Jewish word, now that I think of it, but I've never researched it.

As for the rest, I don't really care. We'll all meet our maker one day.

WTF Cambodia

what happened to you ?

The schism was mainly over the Donation of Constantine. Secondarily, it was over the Filioque, or more precisely, what the West said the Filioque meant, which was at major odds with Eastern theology.

They let me. See, in my islam, we are supposed to use our experience to relate to god.

"The Holy Virgin who is the new Eve is indeed bethroved to Joseph. It is willed by God that a man and a woman when bethroved will be made one flesh. How then can the Theotokos remain virgin and pure whilst being in one flesh with her spouse, Joseph?

As our father amongst the saints St John Chrysostom points out in his Homily on Luke, "Mary is indeed pure and virgin but also one flesh with her husband Joseph. This is possible because of their intetcourse such that no seed is spilled in vain and Mary the mother of Jesus, remaining pure. Such intetcourse through the rear"

Therefore the Orthodox Churches concur with this blessed saint as our answer to this question"-Patriarch Kiril, "On the Holy Theotokos and her purity", pg 96, St Vladimir's seminary press

OG part if you were there at the time about Cambodia
youtube.com/watch?v=0fMJ9EdtVJc

What your Islam says doesn't matter, non-Orthodox can't be alter boys anymore than Muslims can use bacon for a bookmark in the Quran.

You fabricated these quotes.

LETS KEEP JEWISH FAITH AND TRADITIONS ALIVE

WE SAVE THE WEST BY ADOPTING 2000 YEAR OLD JEWISH MYTHS

Do they go over all that in the Orthodoxy or is that something you had to learn on your own?

I didn't

Do believe me, fine. I literally went every sunday from the time I was 10 years old.

>Et in Spíritum Sanctum,
>Dominum et vivificantem:
>qui ex Patre Filioque procedit.
>Qui cum Patre et Filio simul adoratur et conglorificatur:
>qui locutus est per prophetas.

Come back to catholicism and stop that "Muh all bishops are equal" bullshit.

I wanted to but the Novus Ordo mass sucked

So I became a slut and fornicate in sorrow

You did

In catholicism there both "Novus ordo" masses and traditional masses.
Don't blame us for being degenerate.

Christianity is very different from Judaism. So different that the Jews had to provoke Rome into sticking Jesus on to a cross.

Maybe I did

Tridentine Mass is rare

There's no parish that does it here

And I have to pay 1000£ for a few priests in Rome to come and perform it in my local Catedral

Stop that "Jewish myths" bullshit, Christians and Jews don't have anything in common.
Jews killed Jesus just because He went to save the whole mankind instead of only us. They are evil parasites who killed their own God just because they hate the others

Sorry for that. Come in Europe, there are lots of places you can follow Tridentine Mass. However, also New Mass is better than fornication

Well said, swiss chocolate.

Ignatius of Antioch

You [the See of Rome] have envied no one, but others have you taught. I desire only that what you have enjoined in your instructions may remain in force (Epistle to the Romans 3:1 [A.D. 110]).

Tertullian

[T]he Lord said to Peter, "On this rock I will build my Church, I have given you the keys of the kingdom of heaven [and] whatever you shall have bound or loosed on earth will be bound or loosed in heaven" [Matt. 16:18-19]. ... Upon you, he says, I will build my Church; and I will give to you the keys, not to the Church; and whatever you shall have bound or you shall have loosed, not what they shall have bound or they shall have loosed (Modesty 21:9-10 [A.D. 220]).

Cyprian

With a false bishop appointed for themselves by heretics, they dare even to set sail and carry letters from schismatics and blasphemers to the Chair of Peter and to the principal church [at Rome], in which sacerdotal unity has its source" (Epistle to Cornelius [Bishop of Rome] 59:14 [A.D. 252]).

The Lord says to Peter: "I say to you," he says, "that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church" . . . On him he builds the Church, and to him he gives the command to feed the sheep John 21:17], and although he assigns a like power to all the apostles, yet he founded a single chair [cathedra], and he established by his own authority a source and an intrinsic reason for that unity. Indeed, the others were that also which Peter was [i.e., apostles], but a primacy is given to Peter, whereby it is made clear that there is but one Church and one chair. So too, all [the apostles] are shepherds, and the flock is shown to be one, fed by all the apostles in single-minded accord. If someone does not hold fast to this unity of Peter, can he imagine that he still holds the faith? If he [should] desert the chair of Peter upon whom the Church was built, can he still be confident that he is in the Church? (The Unity of the Catholic Church 4 [A.D. 251]).

They go over it

Were you baptized?

>Ex Patre Filioque tanquam ab uno principio
Pic related

One day you will come to us begging for forgiveness for what you said and did... and we will have mercy for you, brother, and embrace you.
But this is not the day

Here is a more accurate picture of John Paul,

Yeah, sure, we'll ask to be forgiven for rejecting the Donation of Constantine

>They go over it
You will know a tree by the fruit it bears.

So we both know that we are committed to the path of honesty. Good.

I accept your surrender

Tertullian is an heretic, and you distort Cyprian majorly

Here is Cyprian from the same work

>The Lord saith unto Peter, I say unto thee, (saith He,) that thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build My Church, and the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth, shall be bound in heaven, and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth, shall be loosed in heaven (Matt. 16:18–19). To him again, after His resurrection, He says, Feed My sheep. Upon him being one He builds His Church; and although He gives to all the Apostles an equal power, and says, As My Father sent Me, even so I send you; receive ye the Holy Ghost: whosoever sins ye remit, they shall be remitted to him, and whosoever sins ye shall retain, they shall be retained (John 20:21);—yet in order to manifest unity, He has by His own authority so placed the source of the same unity, as to begin from one

No, just for have rejected to Pope supremacy.
> Why do the successor of St. Peter have supremacy on the others? I don't really understand it, lmao.

What a slavic retard

But I would be discriminated against for being a migrant

Yep

> Tertullian is an heretic.
Bye

>say the Muslims

But he is. He was anathematized. derp

We are more tolerant with Christians. Obviously you will not be appreciated for your skin, but I prefer a Christian brown Europe to a white faggot liberal Europe

He became a Montanist.

And he did got a bit assmad at Christians for drinking from globets with pictures of Jesus

I am not brown

My skin is fair

1 Peter 5:1

Do you think Peter was a retard too?

>Popes aren't bishops

If you reject it outright, then you will never have it.

But if you open your heart, then maybe one day you will think it over and make a rational decision.

>although He gives to all the Apostles an equal power

If membership comes with one of those, I'm in.

Also from the same work

>Certainly the other Apostles also were what Peter was, endued with an equal fellowship both of honour and power; but a commencement is made from unity, that the Church may be set before as one; which one Church, in the Song of Songs, doth the Holy Spirit design and name in the Person of our Lord: My dove, My spotless one, is but one; she is the only one of her mother, elect of her that bare her

>equal fellowship both of honour and of power

Sure does
youtube.com/watch?v=XP0J2eDPIjU

From the same work

>Our Lord whose precepts and warnings we ought to observe, determining the honour of a Bishop and the ordering of His own Church, speaks in the Gospel and says to Peter, I say unto thee, that thou art Peter, and on this rock I will build My Church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven. Thence the ordination of Bishops, and the ordering of the Church, runs down along the course of time and line of succession, so that the Church is settled upon her Bishops; and every act of the Church is regulated by these same Prelates

You have some reading
biblicalcatholic.com/apologetics/num44.htm

>tfw tried to be good Orthodox in the past
>tfw instead waste my time on Cred Forums and other godless shitholes on the Internet

So do you
christiantruth.com/articles/mt16.html

Start by not going on Cred Forums or other such sites during fast days

Don't (you) me.

When are the fast days?

Also does fast mean eat nothing, or does it mean some weird thing like not eating """meat"""?

biblicalcatholic.com/apologetics/num16.htm
biblicalcatholic.com/apologetics/num53.htm
biblicalcatholic.com/apologetics/num52.htm
biblicalcatholic.com/apologetics/num51.htm

Also
catholicbridge.com/downloads/Papacy_early_fathers_debate.pdf

It depends on the fast day. A few require total abstinence from all food or water (this applies to all pre-Communion fasts, but those don't last the whole day). Most fasts stipulate no alcohol, meat, dairy, oils, or fish. This are lent fast days, for instance, although on the weekend oil, fish and wine is permitted. The first three days of lent are no intake besides water, but while many monks follow that, most people are recommended to just do a day, unless they talk to their priest first and ensure their work will accomodate it. Also the day before Christmas is no intake, and the day before Pascha is no intake.

Almost every Wednesday and Friday are fast days akin to Lent, but there are a few weeks where they aren't, such as Pascha and Christmas

I guess the other guy is asleep or whatever, so I will ask you: what are you trying to prove?

Summarize it for the illiterates.

>what are you trying to prove?
That the witness of the early church absolutely supports the position that the office of the papacy is more than a position of honor.

He's trying to prove Cyprian said the Pope has power over all other bishops, and is the only one whom the Spirit of Truth speaks through, in spite of Cyprian saying this

ORTHIDIX IT BLUE PILL TO MAKE LANDLORD TO FUCK ALL PESANT TO MAKE EM GENETICALY STRONG, THEN HAPEN 1917 REVOLUTION.

That's pretty hardcore.

Some of my old family only eats fish on Friday because of how it used to be. Keep up the faith, bro.

I guess the church should have taught us that, then. I don't give a flying fuck about this pope other than that he's very worrisome.

IF YOU DO ALL THIS YOU DONT WANT TO FUCK

The Church has suffered the likes of people like Pope Alexander. Pope Francis has refrained from teaching any heresies in his official capacity as the source of sacerdotal unity.

Fasting two days a week was a Jewish practice prior to Christianity (although Jews don't keep it today), see Luke 18:12. But Pharisee days are Monday and Thursday. Judging by the Didache, Christians fasted instead on Wednesday and Friday to distinguish themselves from the Pharisees.

> But let not your fasts be with the hypocrites, for they fast on the second and fifth day of the week. Rather, fast on the fourth day and the Preparation

In Orthodoxy, these days are also significant as the day Christ was betrayed on, and the day he was crucified on.

Why is it there were so many Popes as debauched as Alexander, but there was never even one Orthodox bishop like that? The POPE, whom Catholics claim is the appointed and sole bishop chosen to have the Spirit of Truth.

Also just want to say that no meat on Fridays is still in canon law, and anyone who doesn't follow this discipline is in a state of mortal sin.

Canon 1250 All Fridays through the year and the time of Lent are penitential days and times throughout the entire Church.

Yeah, we all fast during the holy weekend when Christ was betrayed. That's a given.

THIS

You're wandering into Donatist territory there my man. That being said it's an open secret that the Soviet KGB infiltrated the Easter Orthodox church, and I'd consider that a set of pretty bad bishops

"No meat" is a pretty lame fast. The only time we have a fast like that is Cheesefare week, and it's not really a fast, it's more the opposite, it's a week of getting in all your last festivities and merrymaking before lent.

Go home.

>"No meat" is a pretty lame fast
In fact, in Orthodoxy, all monks have to be complete pescatarians anyway.

t. Soros

I am actually ok with no meat fasts

If it helps prevent or lessen hair loss

I am not balding ;~;

>Popes appeal to other bishops as "a fellow bishop"

> "No meat" is a pretty lame fast
Totally agree. I can't afford fasting lol. Look, 1 kg (2.2 lbs) turkey, chicken or pork filet costs only 6 euro here. But fish about 20-25. Fresh prawns over 30. I think it's better to concentrate on your personality and theology than blindly perform rituals.
Depends on internal rules of the monastery. Some of them have everything (incl. milk and eggs) but bread, vegetables and fruits prohibited. But some of them allow everything, incl. meat.

Sorry OP, I was raised Mormon and we all know it's the true church.

No Orthodox monasteries allow meat. Our monks can't have it anymore than they are allowed to have sex.

Fasting is not a blind ritual, it's an act of putting your will in check to God can run things, it is "turning down" the noise of the world, so to speak. It really helps with contrition, too. Being well-fed on luxurious food makes contrition rather difficult

>. I can't afford fasting lol. Look, 1 kg (2.2 lbs) turkey, chicken or pork filet costs only 6 euro here. But fish about 20-25.

Most Orthodox fast days do not allow fish either. Or dairy.

or oil, by the way, and this one I actually find the toughest. No oil basically leaves you veggies and bread and stuff like that

>the true church

Fuck off heretic

keep following the man that's kissing the feet of your invaders, cuck

>In April 2012, the election of a young gay man who was living in a registered same-sex partnership to a pastoral council in Vienna was vetoed by the parish priest. After meeting with the couple, Schönborn reinstated him. He later advised in a homily that priests must apply a pastoral approach that is "neither rigorist nor lax" in counselling Catholics who "don't live according to [God's] master plan".[38]

>Schönborn is a member of the Elijah Interfaith Institute Board of World Religious Leaders.[31]

>Elijah Interfaith Institute is a nonprofit, international, interfaith organization which was founded by Rabbi Alon Goshen-Gottstein in 1997.

>In 2014, addressing a question raised on the family, he argued that church doctrine can change over time, and "doesn't depend on the spirit of time but can develop over time." "Saying that the doctrine will never change is a restrictive view of things," Marx later clarified at a Vatican press conference. "The core of the Catholic Church remains the Gospel, but have we discovered everything? This is what I doubt."[12]

>We have to respect the decisions of people. We have to respect also, as I said in the first synod on the family — some were shocked, but I think it’s normal — you cannot say that a relationship between a man and a man, and they are faithful, [that] that is nothing, that has no worth,

>He said it was up to the state “to make regulations for homosexuals so they have equal rights or nearly equal . . . but marriage is another point,” adding that the state “has to regulate these partnerships and to bring them into a just position, and we as church cannot be against it

>The history of homosexuals in our societies is very bad because we’ve done a lot to marginalize [them],” he said, adding that as a Church and as a society “we’ve also to say ‘sorry, sorry.’

>Pope Francis has hailed the election of London’s first Muslim mayor in a wide-ranging interview with a French newspaper.

>"When I hear talk of the Christian roots of Europe, I sometimes dread the tone, which can seem triumphalist or even vengeful. It then takes on colonialist overtones," Pope Francis said.
catholicherald.co.uk/news/2016/05/17/pope-francis-hails-election-of-sadiq-khan-as-mayor-of-london/

Here is an Orthodox declaration from this year

>Such an important aspect of modern life like mass migration is not left unattended. Unlike the Catholic approach that unduly favors migrants, particularly in Europe, the Orthodox notices the negative nature of the process, as well as the fact that it leads to confrontation of different identities and value systems. In addition, the Orthodox Church propose to look at the roots of this phenomenon. The reason for the migration is the liberal, hedonistic ideology bleeding the peoples of Europe and the interests of the capitalist elite, who need a cheap and disenfranchised workforce:

>Attempts by indigenous people of the rich countries to stop the migration flow are futile, because they come in conflict with the greed of their own elites who are interested in the low-wage workforce.

The day after the Pope said the Church must apologize to gays, the Orthodox Church in America made this declaration.

>The statement outlines the Orthodox Christian’s "sincerely held religious belief" that marriage is "a lifelong, exclusive relationship between one man and one woman," and therefore any sexual relations outside of natural marriage "is immoral, and therefore sin."

>The encyclical continues, "We believe that God created the human race, male and female, and that all conduct with the intent to adopt a gender other than one’s birth gender is immoral and therefore sin

>Even more explicitly, the document states, "Marriage can only be between two people whose birth sex is male and female.

lifesitenews.com/news/orthodox-church-in-america-aims-to-protect-itself-from-lawsuits-with-strong

>A Christian brother and sister from Syria felt blessed to have been among the dozen refugees selected to start a new life in Italy — but now say their savior, Pope Francis, abandoned them on a Greek island, according to a report.

>Their dreams were shattered when they were informed the following day that they would not be traveling to Rome. Instead, three Muslim families were taken.
nypost.com/2016/04/22/pope-francis-reneges-on-offer-to-take-in-christian-refugees/

Pope brings gay couple over his embassy to hang out with him, kissing them on the cheeks
reuters.com/article/us-usa-pope-gay-idUSKCN0RW20O20151003

>The progressive group Catholics in Alliance for the Common Good welcomed the news that Francis had met the gay couple.

>"Pope Francis never ceases to surprise us. The news that Francis met with a gay couple should put to rest any notion that Pope Francis is held down by the narrow ideological divisions that plague the United States. He is first and foremost a pastor who is willing to encounter and engage anyone," the group's executive director, Christopher Hale, said in a statement.

Is this man really the only prophet of the Spirit of Truth?

> Our monks can't have it anymore than they are allowed to have sex
What? Are you really comparing this filthy and degenerate act of fornication called "sex" to eating meat?

I meant sex in marriage, ya derp

Your monks are allowed to MARRY? Are you kidding me?

Married men sometimes become monks.

exposing the serpents. Your doing God's work.

*you're

You guys allowed divorce and remarriage.
Also:
>CAESAROPAPISM

Convert to the HRCC schismatic.

Only if his wife becomes a nun. Only completely "liberated" churches allow their monks to have sex.

Orthodox divorce is harder to get than Catholic annulment though, and is for better reasons. Catholics """""annulment"""" is just crypto-divorce

alid grounds for annulment of marriage in the Catholic Church include, but are not limited to:
*you married for social status but the person did not have the status you expected
*you didn't know marriage was a "permanent relationship"
*you married intending to have the option of divorce open
*you did not know marriage was an "exclusive relationship"
stmarys-waco.org/documents/Grounds for Marriage Annulment in the Catholic Church.pdf
ewtn.com/expert/answers/marital_consent.htm

But adultery isn't one of them. Neither is abondoment. So if your wife gets knocked up by another guy, you are obligated to stay with her. Or if you are a mother of three and your husband leaves, you are obligated to raise them as a single mother. But all these stupid reasons are allowed

Compare the Orthodox reasons for divorce, very simple, very practical, pic related

>CAESAROPAPISM
How?

His wife doesn't necessarily have to become a nun, but yeah, he must be celibate to be a monk

Oh, and the Pope recently said most Catholic marriages aren't valid anyway: catholicnewsagency.com/news/most-marriages-today-are-invalid-pope-francis-suggests-51752/

According to Catholic procedure, this means any Catholic couple who could qualify for annulment but doesn't get one, is living in fornication. They just don't know it. And there is no way you can unless you apply for annulment using every method available--if you don't, there a very good chance you are living in fornication.

They have seafood...yes?

Because I am just gonna dine on shellfish and octopi for the Great Lent