Cont: Biology PhD AMA

Didn't realize the previous thread hit the page limit.
>

Other urls found in this thread:

dna.land/
promethease.com/
interpretome.com/#pca
puckermob.com/money/college-majors-highest-paying-lowest-unemployment-rates-and-more
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What's that photo?

A cell during metaphase. The blue stuff in the middle are chromosomes. The green fibers are spindle fibers which will pull the sister chromatids apart into 2 new cells.

If you remove the chromosome will it die?

A cell splitting

I'm the genetics PhD student from before.

My parents were Syrian but I was born in the US

>secular
>no funny accent

we can assimilate Cred Forums
my mom's mom was actually from Albania

lol yes

I have a cold what do I do

drink fluids and get rest

Nobody gives a shit about you trying to jack off about being a girly major phd. go to

Are you retarded? Jesus christ what education do you have

>we can assimilate Cred Forums
that's cool just don't racemix

Why can some reptile regenerate lost limbs and mammals can't?

too late :) I have an anglo gf

I have one copy of the blue eye gene so our kids will have 50% chance of being Ayran

Are they muslim ancestry or christian?

Calm down. Not everybody takes biology.

My last name is not a muslim one also my Y chromosome is actually related to Hitlers (part of the E1b1b family)

However I do have some muslims in my family.

Dad grew up areligious, Mom went to Christian schools and is still one

My grandad was egyptian who married a Norwegian women.

There son went on to marry my mom who was of mixed(mostly anglo) descent. Race mixing is the future.

He Albanian, need I say more?

It wasn't an evolutionary trait that evolved in us.

>My last name is not a muslim one also my Y chromosome is actually related to Hitlers (part of the E1b1b family)
Meaning my paternal line was not cucked by the invading muslim J haplotype

I am Bronze age Aramean mostly, also 15% Italian
>WE WUZ SPQR

Cool. I'm muslim/christian ancestry although I'm agnostic now.

I have this still around

That's a shit answer OP, why the fuck even come here?

It would be very painful...

>FAZA

I learned this in elementary school, then middle school, and again in highschool. And every dumb ass biology class i took after that in college. Then touched over it in medical school.
But everyone shoudk know this,
This is why religion controls the world. If more people understood how the body worked they might be more acceptance of science.

That's the only answer. Do you want me to make one up that's more interesting ?

MD Student here. Why are you not in pharma or med yet?

checked

my mom's arab side is muslim but was in Syria pre-islamic conquests. My granddad was a PhD too and was actually an academic bigwig in Syria.

He wasn't a good muslim with all the drinking tho. (and was obviously an academic my mom and her brother do not have muslim names but Greek ones)

What suggestions would you make to modify tracrRNA to increase Cas9 residency time?

>This is why religion controls the world. If more people understood how the body worked they might be more acceptance of science.
wew lad.

Didn't interest me.

thanks for sharing.

I study mutations that occur during Meoisis that are passed on to the children (thus the parents do not have the mutation)

>my mom's arab side is muslim but was in Syria pre-islamic conquests.
Most syrians are. Most muslims outside of the Arabian peninsula are genetically pretty much the same as their pre-islamic ancestors. Cred Forums tends to exaggerate the amount of raping that occurs.

Has the human hayflick limit increased over the years, why does a telomere's length shorten over time?

Also has the contingency of cancer been due to cell division becoming too good at its job?

Immortality when.

I'm not doing your experiment for you. Transfer a few sheckels to my account first.

Hi there, mate.
First: Is there any possibility to make a haplogroup-related deadly virus? If there is a way, please describe it.
Second: is there more accurate and precise restriction nuclease than cas9-fokl?
Third: Is there a long term shortage in cell biologists and genetic engineers nowadays and how much you earn?

If you can, I want to know why mammals don't have this trait.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck would?

That's true. You can also tell by the last name.

Most Syrians I met in the US do not have Muslim last names. They are mostly Assyrians or other Arameans.

Cred Forums likes a boogy man and Arabs are really great at being one

>Has the human hayflick limit increased over the years,
Not that I know of

>why does a telomere's length shorten over time?
replication. The ends of chromosomes are most likely to be unreplicated from one gen to another.

>Also has the contingency of cancer been due to cell division becoming too good at its job?
It's not so much cell division being so good, but it not being able to control itself.

>Immortality when.
100-300 years.

Am drunk
Acceptable towards*

Shoo shoo arab shill. Most Syrians are dirty sandniggers who hate the west. Even the ones with light skin.

>First: Is there any possibility to make a haplogroup-related deadly virus? If there is a way, please describe it.
currently only for slavic haplogroups.
>Second: is there more accurate and precise restriction nuclease than cas9-fokl?
There probably is.
>Third: Is there a long term shortage in cell biologists and genetic engineers nowadays and how much you earn?
There's to many. Salaries range. At a good biotech firm it can range from 50k-150k

>Is there any possibility to make a haplogroup-related deadly virus

you could say the Colombian contact was a good example of this. However it was due to exposure of pathogens in one group over 100s of years, and technically not what you are asking for.

Anything is possible in theory, but practically I doubt a haplotype specific virus is possible at the moment. Using something like CRISPR to recognize genomic DNA is a start.

>why is Cred Forums obsessed with genocide?

It either never evolved in them or they used to have it but it wasn't seen as advantageous so wasn't selected for.

Ask your mom. She's good at stuffing wood into her cheeks.

You better dont do it mate. Because mistakes and errors will rise quickly. If in case of natural radiation promoter will decrease it will make the whole treatment go nuts.
> less blocks - more recognized sites.
Think again

Genetically the muslim and Christian syrians are identical. I want to watch a Cred Forums fag get genetically tested and find out he's 25% arab. I would love to see that reaction.

>most syrians
>hate west
wonder why that could be.

I love the West and I wish there could be some adaptation of Western values (low corruption, personal liberty, tolerance) in the East. However from their point of view there's a lot of good things in their culture (which I can't really argue with)

No it isn't

>491
love mama Rossia tho

People assume, wrongly, that liberalization comes before wealth. It doesn't wealth proceedes it. Once eastern and muslim countries start developing they will start liberalizing.

I got a 5 in AP Biology and I still needed a moment to think about what that was

Fuck off

Mixed race children are on average healthier.

I was surprised I have filthy Mongol in me.

Funny thing is that my mom did it and she's het for the chr6 mongol region.

So I think it confirms it.

Do ashkenazi Jews have any semitic blood in them?

What company did you get this from. 23 and me? I've always wanted to do one of these tests.

Beyond the blood of freshly circumcised penises trickling gently down their throats, you mean?

that's true but one problem is the corruption which prevents so many countries (even outside MENA) to develop the poor.

Things will get better but it will take a few decades

Just look at the steps Saudi Arabia has made since the 70s. Small steps but important

>but fuck KSA tho. Saudis are smelly and rude

Yeah. Ashkenazi jews are actually surprisingly similar to north africans and levantines in genetics.

It's a slow process. It took Europe 700 years of constant warfare and government changes to get where it is. The muslim world will eventually do the same.

>immortality when
>100-300 years

More likely 50-60 years
Big data processing advances quickly.

>genocide
Why not? Just another one task. There probably are some solutions in govt labs already.

Ok, next question - what virus do you (personally) prefer use to deliver Cas9 to the cell?

Why biology?

I originally started as a Chemistry major but figured that that's nearly no jobs in Chemistry so I switched to Chemical Engineering. This is my last semester before I get a BS and I already have an internship with Exxon.

What job are you aiming for or have?

yeah 23andMe. I did it when it was $100 but it's really fun.

I've played around with the data too. You can impute SNPs for free with this (I used a burner email)
dna.land/

I did this because Promethease can use dna.land disease SNPs it's $10 for a health report. You'll like it because it has Odds Ratios for most disease alleles

promethease.com/

How good is the imputation?

Well I had a homozygous BPD risk allele imputed (OR 1.6 or something it's a missense which is worrisome)

My dad was whole genome sequences in a study for my lab (my halfsister has autism and is in my study)

In my dad and my half-sisters only he is HET for the risk allele. ...

My mom's imputed SNP from 23andME is HET for the disease allele.

Gotta say the imputation is legit

yeah look at the 30 years war it's a lot like what's happening in MENA now

Checked.
More likely 50-60 years
Big data processing advances quickly.

Nah we're still someways off.

>Ok, next question - what virus do you (personally) prefer use to deliver Cas9 to the cell?
Not sure. I think my PI uses a lentivirus.

I like it.
I'm a Harvard Ph.D grad. I'm currently in a post-doc. I start a tenure track position next year.

Was also a chemist back then (environmental engineering and chemistry). After graduation went for a second one - cell biology. Chemistry helps a lot.

interpretome.com/#pca

here's me (black square) and a PCA of middle easterners

>guess what I'm Syrian

see this

Nice
>inb4 get off my board shlomo.

Well now that you have some nautical sense of where the job markets going OP(atleast in STEM)

Can you point me in the right direction? Whats the most under-saturated STEM field currently? Pharmacy?
Something involving energy Conversation?

>Whats the most under-saturated STEM field currently?
Comp sci, Comp engineering, it. All still have lots of room

Pharmacy has almost hit saturation point. Average salaries are dropping because of this. The days of 100k+ salary pharmacist will soon end.

Check out the lowest unemployment rate by major

puckermob.com/money/college-majors-highest-paying-lowest-unemployment-rates-and-more

What's the genetics behind autism?

Would you say Comp sci is the new MBA in the job market? Surely I'd have to double major if I wanted anything specific right?

Yep, Pharm is still safe.

That's my thesis.

It's really complex. There are over 100 genes implicated in autism.

My lab has shown that about 20-30% of the ASD cases we get have de novo mutations. These are mutations that occur either in gamete formation or early cell division in a zygote.

Many of the genes implicated in autism have similar function or work in a pathway

These include:

chromatin modification
neuron migration in development
cell signaling pathways
synaptic processes

There's also a lot of genetic overlap with Autism to schizophrenia and other psychiatric diseases. So the genetics are complex and we are just beginning to understand them

here's some data off the presses

older dads have more of these mutations because the mutations build up in clonal population of sperm. So about each year a male ages one new mutation is generated in his sperm.

Women make their eggs during development in the womb. The eggs are dormant until they are released. Older moms have higher risk of aneuploidies but that's a different mechanism

>figure shows more dads contribute to these de novo mutations

Just submitted my PhD thesis on Thursday. Feels so good.

what biology concept was the hardest for you to learn

What's the topic?

Did you defend?

Congrats on your letters user PhD

I had problems with evolution and ecology. Never could understand the equations and the assumptions made. It wasn't until right before the final it clicked and I aced it.

Still was the only bio class I got a B in...

I find some population genetic estimates difficult to comprehend. Also genetic association took a while to fully click with me.

would you agree that the trend in biology is that you need to know more maths than you used to

are jews the most advanced human beings on earth?
why are niggers's dicks so thick contrary to white men's dicks?

yes and programming for genetics

>Would you say Comp sci is the new MBA in the job market? Surely I'd have to double major if I wanted anything specific right?
Yes

Yes. Statistics is required for almost all bio majors now. Most Bio departments also do work with comp sci department at their universities.

How many papers do you have and in what journals? How many do you need to get a postdoc in US?

5 first author papers in second tier journals. 2 second author papers in nature.

how much money do you make?

what goes into being a second author?

As a post doc about 45k. Next year is my first year as tenure track. I will be making about 75k with a noticeable increase every year. I also have no student loan debt.

What's your family background (scum clas, working class, middle class, upper class)?
How much do you earn?
Did you get your job on your own or with help?

I've been smoking full-flavor cigarettes out of a pipe for 8 years. How long will it take for my lungs to recover to their full potential and will they ever be as healthy as they were before I started smoking?

no h8 OP but that ain't much

Did you do biology PhD because you couldn't get into med school?

t. medfag

plz tell how exactly molecules became life

its not about the money m8

bretty good

I guess I will have to stick around here in monkey island as I don't have any chances of getting something on nature/science any time soon.

You're a fucking idiot m8 stop wasting everybodies time with this gay thread.

kek willed them into excistance faggit. NORMIES OUT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

75k is pretty good. Not amazing, but I didn't go into for the money. Mid career I shouldbe making 150k-350k.

God..sike. I don't know.

what do you contribute to a paper to be second author?

less than the first author. More than a third author.

I'm sorry that scientific facts aren't entertaining enough for you.

>I don't know.
>PhD
Top kek, you could have gone to trade school and learned something practical

but how does it work? do you do an experiment thats part of the bigger experiment and provide enough data for a figure, or something? or what

I'm sorry that I can't answer the holy grail question of biology. If I could I would have a nobel prize and be as well known as Darwin.

It's a pretty unclear process. First author is usually the PI/ the person doing most of the work. A second author is a person who contributed significantly, but not as much as the first author. There's no concrete standard

As an undergrad I had a professor put me as first author even though I didn't do much in-order to help me boost my resume for grad school. He would do this for most of his students since he was tenured and didn't care much about first author pubs anymore.

God

i thought that it was standard for PIs to be last author.

If the PI is just running the lab then possibly. If the PI was actually doing research then they are usually first.

interesting. thanks for answering my questions mate

/sci/ doesn't like soft science majors

Bio isn't a soft science.

yes it is, and you still suck at it

what kind of Phd can't even give a possible explanation for abiogenesis. your thread sucks, let it die.

Abiogenesis doesn't tell how life comes from molecules. It's a hypothesis at best.

what are some techniques you do in the lab besides PCR?

Is sterility from having ROB exclusive for males?

Blots. Southern mostly. Cell cultures. Fluorescent tagging.

Sorry what's ROB.

>Abiogenesis doesn't tell how life comes from molecules
what? are you retarded? abiogenesis isn't a theory, it's a description of a process. That process is the rise of life from non-life i.e. from molecules. Where the fuck did you get your Phd, ITT tech? was kent hovind part of your review panel?

Robertsonian Translocation, but specifically chromosome 15:21

Answer pl0x

Not sure. Most sterility in humans does tend to be male specific though.

Usually 5-10 years. After 1 year though most of the damage has cleared up.

What's the cause of the specificity?

do you know of anything interesting political-wise? any interesting developments in the biology world? I assume shit like genetics/gmo's

do you do biomedical research or pure biology? there are probably a lot more grants for biomedical research i'd imagine.

Not sure. I think it's because most fertility related conditions affect the sex chromosomes and women have a redundant chromosome while men don't.

It would be extremely retarded.

The whole fluoride in the water supply to control people mind thing is actually true.

How much for a Venti Latte?

Pure biology.

I don't know. Check the menu tomorrow at work.

Alright thanks for the help, cheers man.

interesting. can you provide any more detail?

I'm currently doing Crispr related research under a PI for my post-doc.