Art regressives of Cred Forums

Why do so many people on here have such an extremely negative view towards all contemporary art?

I see threads here pretty regularly where you guys will spend hours wanking to classical paintings and denouncing all contemporary art as degenerate trash. I agree there is a lot of shit art nowadays (there probably always has been though and we just forget about the shit with time), but don't you guys see how retarded it is to basically reject all art that isn't oil paintings of religious figures and historical events?

Is it because a lot of contemporary art takes more time and effort to appreciate and understand because so much of it is "idea art", not just a beautiful image?

With a lot of classical art you get the instant gratification that comes with seeing a finely crafted and aesthetically beautiful work. It's not hard to appreciate craft and beauty.
I'm not trying to insinuate that all classical paintings have no value beyond their aesthetic beauty, many of them have tons of interesting symbolism and history they are attached to, but you have to admit it's easier to instantly appreciate the beauty in something like Pietà without understanding any of it's symbolism or history than it is to appreciate the concept and intent of something like Breathing Light by James Turrell (pic related, also it's a big evenly lit room and those are real people standing in it, just in case that isn't obvious).

I appreciate classical paintings too, but I would never want art to be dominated by those styles and subjects again. One of the primary purposes of art in the past was to record history, but we don't need it for that anymore, so it's progressing beyond that.

What do you guys think?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=lNI07egoefc
youtu.be/I9lmvX00TLY
realismeamsterdam.com/index.php?lan=uk
independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/art/news/contemporary-art-is-a-fraud-says-top-dealer-1628929.html
independent.co.uk/news/world/modern-art-was-cia-weapon-1578808.html
nypost.com/2014/04/27/inside-the-mad-world-of-modern-art/
styleweekly.com/richmond/wynton-marsalis-speaks-frankly-about-the-controversy-surrounding-his-view-of-jazz/Content?oid=1391667
youtube.com/watch?v=d7ez-gIt08I
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Posting art to bump

A Quaker meeting house by James Turrell. The rectangle on the ceiling is an open skylight.

I don't have a problem with contemporary art in general, only the fraud stuff

this guy come to mind:

10/10 would sit in and watch an americana court trial

If you have to explain it to me, you failed at making worthwhile art.

Genuine art doesn't need an excuse or a hidden meaning. I'll feel it when I see it raw and pure.

Because a lot of contemporary art is promoted based on intention and virtue signalling.

Serious.

I spend a lot of time down at the MCA. I like art. I like contemporary art.

But I can tell you that a good 50% of the gallery is given over to extremely mediocre works that are there because of the personal narrative of the artist or his/her declared political beliefs.

There is a lot of "hiding" in contemporary art, and because of the nature of contemporary art, it's very easy to get away with it.

>tfw the description plaque is bigger than the work of art

>The rectangle on the ceiling is an open skylight.
then its not fucking art is it
post more so we may berate you please.

>I appreciate classical paintings too, but I would never want art to be dominated by those styles and subjects again.

mainly because you couldn't do it if you tried.
on the other hand your 'people in pink space' monstrosity could be knocked out in an afternoon.

Modern is great because it starts conversations like this -- conversations on the very philosophy of art.

because it's more money laundering than it is art

>architecture
>not art

Kys, philistine.

>modern art

>hole in roof
>faggot insists its art

A lot of people seem to get hung up on the process of creating rather than the final product.

Contemporary art is just pure expression. I can shit is a can and call it art, because it represents something deep and meaningful to me.
Classical art combines personal expression and even political statements
with an objectively measurable beauty standard which requires talent to reach

I somewhat agree with you. To me the point of art is communicating a message or at least showing the observer something they may not have considered before. That's actually why I'm such a huge fan of James Turrell. His art is all about how we perceive objects and depth through color.

Here's another skyspace by Turrell. By lighting the ceiling so evenly and contrasting the color of the sky it's almost like he's bringing the sky down to the same level as the ceiling. We use textures and changes in value to tell us what shape things are and how far away they are, and you realize that intensely once those elements are taken away. I've seen one of these and person and it's an insane experience. It's something you really have to view in person to fully appreciate imo. When you do Turrell's intent is very clear.

projecting this hard. If you wouldn't give terrible shitters this much attention they would just disappear. But no, you clog the internet with the same meme pictures taken from idiots for idiots like you.

I like the ceiling but your description is what turns most people away from accepting this ceiling as 'art'
I will leave your thread alone after this post as I am not being very nice but I must post pic related before I depart.
your full of shit mate, ever consider that?
you are almost a work of art yourself

I like this thread I hope it won't be flooded by cheesy digital paintings of polish knights and pseudo-neo-classical Azerbaijani architecture

>mainly because you couldn't do it if you tried
I'm actually pretty technically skilled with drawing and painting, although I don't do it much anymore because I'm not really interested in that type of art.
Pic related is something I did like 4 years ago, I don't have anything I did since then saved but you get the idea. Boring isn't it.

>One of the primary purposes of art in the past was to record history

You're right. The modern world is shit.

We have to go back

Pls leave and close the door behind you

its actually very good.
shame that you got caught up on the bullshitters end of the art world.
I like this image as I can appreciate your skills and efforts but i f you started to tell me that it had hidden meanings about the suffering of mountain goats in postmodern post apocalyptic world id have to end the conversation and quickly.
I agree with you that not all art has to be a beautiful oil painting or a sculpture but please do me the courtesy of agreeing that 99.9 percent of art produced now days is complete TRASH designed only to elevate the 'artist' in there warped social circles

Nah, I'm a white classical musician. I have to deal with this everyday.

>go to contemporary art exhibit
>3/4 of it is shit in a can tier
>huur projection! Why do you give them attention?!
Why is shit tier art in exhibits in the first place?

I know said you left the thread but I'll reply anyway.
I get that most people get turned off by descriptions like that because they sound pretentious, but it's an honest description. The first time I went and saw one of his skyspaces I had no prior knowledge about Turrell or what his art was about, but all those thoughts and realizations about depth and color came to me anyway. His message was communicated extremely well just through viewing his art.

guess i just have a hard time accepting simple things a masterful. sorry for being rude, Its just I've lost a lot of close friends to 'art'
good luck user

(((Modern art))) is garbage.

Would you care to give some pretentious explanation of how any of these are art?

If you don't seek out art that you enjoy then most of what you're going to see is edgy garbage that makes the news. I agree that a lot of art nowadays (particularly performance art) is shit (sometimes literally), but there is a lot of good stuff out there too, stuff that is totally new and uses mediums that didn't even exist until recently.

It's sort of like how you hear about all the bad things happening in the world when you watch the news and it makes the world seems like total hell, but there's a lot of good stuff happening too. You hear about the bad stuff because it's controversial.

i can feel this ones pain. its clearly a feminist lost in sea of male accomplishment
LMAO

As if you fucktard would have gone to any art show. You just project and parrot what people on this board say. What was the last exhibition you visited?
>eeeh eeehm it was it was, I'll tell you in an hour!
Name a good contemporary painter or photographer.

Some of those are very interesting please post more

>Name a good contemporary painter

dat sum Boris Vallejo?

Art, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Performance art was never art in my book.
ok well, well have to agree to disagree.
I'm sure theres some good stuff out there but I refuse to wade through the shité and 'artists' to get to it.
my loss, I'm sure.

holy shit.

Modern art reflects a shift from respect of great things (beauty, history, ideology) to a respect of nothing of any significance. Some abstract notion that often times other people don't understand and can't identify. Narcissism is prevalent. There's no unified standard for what makes art good and what makes art bad any more.
It's why no one sticks around.
No modern art appeals or resonates with people like traditional art has.

Michael Borremans
Luc Tuymans
Neo Rausch
Marlene Dumas
Sigmar Pölke
Thierry de Cordier
Elisabeth Peyton

Nigga please.

Holy shit that's pretty good technical skills. Imagine if you had the drive to be creative with it.

>that brush

>Why do so many people on here have such an extremely negative view towards all contemporary art?
Firstly only low-IQ retards are completely opposed to all contemporary art, there is definitely worthwhile work in the contemporary sphere but it is (like in every medium, really) drowned out by the piles of shit being produced en masse every day in the art world.

If you can break through the pretentious surface of modern art you will find that we live in an age of great artistic talent, and I think anyone who fails to understand this simply doesn't enjoy art in the first place and needs to stick to banging rocks together and screaming like apes for entertainment.

Hating ALL contemporary art just means you hate art and probably shouldn't talk about it because you look like an idiot.

At least show good contemporary art.

I don't think many people dislike contemporary art. People here dislike the styles called modern art and/or abstract art primarily. I, personally, really love impressionist pieces, regardless of when they were done. I just don't like the two styles I mentioned.

Pic Related is from an exhibit called Projective Instrument.

The artist created a collection of objects based on math. Kind of hard to explain this one with words but I feel like the objects speak for themselves honestly.

Seriously why not just take a photo? She's literally a meat photocopier (I used to be the same way). The subjects are not interesting even on a visual level. Its only merit is its craft imo.

They are fine.

Funny that the Italian faglord doesn't respond.
As a different user already said, if you don't go and seek for contemporary art you can enjoy, you will only see shit in anything.

For starters, go to exhibitions and galleries that are into good stuff.

Like that blurry photo you posted?

I dislike contemporary art not because I don't "get" it or because it's "idea art", but precisely because the toxic philosophy that underpins it is, to put it bluntly, evil, and no moral person should abide it. Now do the world a favor and gas yourself.

>Using a photo reference
>Good art

Real art is made solely from sacrificing your life to learn extensively about the different facets of art and then being able to create anything from scratch.

This is what someone is selling for 5k on Craigslist. It's a 9x14 recreation of someone else's photo

I never thought about that. Art used to be complementary to a person's culture. Today it's meant to revere your narcissism, how amazing and clever you are at art, not an ideal or something greater than yourself.

Because most contemporary art is shit, requires no skill and is usually pushing some leftist political message.
There is some good contemporary art but it's a small percentage

From the great postmodern artist Pierre DuPain comes the talk of the art world: "Nothing."

Pierre describes the work as representing the void of nihilism inherent in the modernistic world.

The work resists commodification, as every viewer leaves with it and, indeed, arrived with it as well.

It's literally fucking nothing, just a description plaque describing nothing.

BIG?

I live fairly close to a sculpture museum.
There's usually a couple of good-looking contemporary pieces on display, when they're not being stolen and sold to scrap merchants.

Yeah you could train to like eating shit, it would be pretty difficult but that wouldn't make eating shit actually good

Your definition of "good" is very american.
She did all right, but it still looks bad, give her 20 more years.
What you show is a Hiper-realistic painting, it is quite nice when you do it right, but still it lacks "soul" and story.
It lacks reason why it was created.

Check the painting I attached.
It has great style, story, emotions, and is done beautifully.

You need all the right components in a right proportion to make it great.

Think about art as a food served to you.
It has to taste good, look good, present good and have proportions!
You don't want to eat small piece of meat with tons of salad. There has to be harmony in everything.

I definitely agree.

Photography hurt art in more ways that one, it firstly put many good artists out of work and secondly resulted in artists using photo references instead of drawing from life like what you posted, which no doubt sterilizes the entire process down to some primitive copying method. The masses aren't smart enough to understand the difference between good and bad art and you are forced into a culture of mass-appeal if you want to succeed in the contemporary art world.

When you can perfectly freeze any scene forever and have hours upon hours to copy every livid detail of it onto a canvas you aren't producing art you're producing a crude duplicate devoid of creative worth, but the fact is that the dummies that purchase this utter trash don't care about creative worth, they just see all the pretty details and want to hang it on their shitty apartment wall to occupy space. It's soulless furniture.

that art is degenerate. no nudes! cover up!

OP is a faggot.

"The art scene" has its roots in the aristocratic sensibilities of rich twats and well-heeled churches. This trend continues to this day with rich patrons, museums, and people educated in the fads of dead artist circle-jerking that it's more meaningful than it is. It's fucking art, get over it.

Meanwhile we've had an explosion of amateur and non-art-scenester art on the internet. An absolutely huge explosion. Art twats don't give a shit, they just care about their art twat clique.

Music has a similar problem: classical music is considered "intellectual" and somehow beneficial to your mind, but prole music isn't. It's all aristocratic horse shit.

That's retarded. So he 3d printed some stuff. Fuck that guy

The three main criteria for perfect art are nobility of content (a spiritual condition, and the raison d'être of art); exactness of symbolism or, in profane art, harmony of composition; and, finally, purity of style.

In this regard I agree that Bougereau was, in what regards profane art, one of the last traditional artists of his time, but he belonged to a tradition that had embraced individualism, sentimentalism and subjectivity to the point that the degeneracy that surrounded him was its inevitable conclusion; contemporary art is the result of the erroneous ideas that took root in the Renaissance. We must look further back to find Western art that is Perfect, in the Gothic or, better still, the Romanesque.

user, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

>here we go

THICC

just by this faggots pose you call tell he is a fraud, a faggot and someone who takes it up the ass

>if you don't like some modern art you're retarded

Well, that's about the quality of argument I would expect from a fucking leaf.

lmao that's a dead on description of the impression I got about what type of stupid asshole would have made this.

Fuck you I'm going to start going just to call everything garbage to people's face. I hope I make some artists cry. Those tears are on you now.

>come on goys, this Jesus painted with shit and this statue of a police-woman pissing is just as good an art piece as Mona Lisa, David, etc
>come visit the gallery you fucking goyim, my business is failing and no-ones buying my paintings made by throwing a can of paint at a canvas!
>2deep4u goyim!
KYS Schlomo.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=lNI07egoefc

>i can quote movies
>that means i'm smart

my penis is an art, at least thats what your wife told me

Good points. I think I've learned to laugh at the absurdity of the pretentious garbage instead of getting angry by it, maybe that's why I'm not as phased by it as a lot of people here.

Pic related is by Tauba Auerbach (oh no! a Jew!)

Because only low testosterone nu males are passionate about art. They sit in Starbucks and read Marx unironically.

All look like shit.
Are those paitners autistic and have problem looking at people faces?
This is how I imagine world seen with autism.
Blured faces with no details.
People say that Hitler was shitty painter for not painting people properly and focusing on buildings, but those are PORTRET PAINTERS. Their only focus is a human face and still they can not paint it properly.

Madaluladada hotline bling

>extremely negative view towards all contemporary art

Because it's dominated by huge faggots? It's not all bad, but you have to look for it on the fringes.

>read Marx unironically
They don't even read it, they just talk about what they think he wrote.

would fuck

This. Art is a signal that a race of people sends to itself in order to clarify what its goals are. Indo-Europeans are an expansive group, and absent cultural subversion, you should expect to see a reflection of their noble objectives. When the sand people sneak in and monopolize art dealing, however, you get a different outcome. Semites of all forms, racial originators of Abrahamic religion, have an abhorrence of the image (thus their historical abhorrence of idols), and they value the written word over spatial sensibilities. Modern art is what you get when Jews begin to subvert our cultural norms, when you go to the Met and see ceiling tiles covered in house paint, or groups of objects that bear no resemblance to anything in particular, or blobs of color with no scheme. That's the eye of the Jew looking back at you, the absence of any motive in his heart other than base profit. Fuck all that noise.

Kys

Is that a tampon??

who cares, that sculpture is breathtaking

Does "properly" mean "as realistic as possible" to you?
If so there's this fellow Nadar that you should meet, his new thingy is amazing.

> more time and effort to appreciate and understand

Shit justification used to excuse an absolute void of talent

And Bernini was only 23 when he finished it.

>mfw I'm now 24 and have achieved nothing noteworthy

What are you talking about?...half of these painters paint paint well known photographs (and I agree, fucking garbage)...if ONLY they had the skill to actually be able to paint live models.
However, Neo Rauch is a wonderful painter and if can't find the proper appreciation for it, it's your fault.
Neo Rauch is great contemporary art, it's your bad taste that disables you from realizing this.

No it does not.
But even portret painting should be done the wahy that it takes your breath away.
The ones you posted are very very dull.
Even photo I posted is better than 95% of what you posted.
It has style and story. Makes you think, and ask questions.

Who is this guy?
What year is that?
Is he dead?
Did he fought on a war?
Did he win or did he loose?
Where was it taken?
Why is he the only one looking in to the camera?

Paintings you posted rise only one question:

What for did they paint them?

>man made 30 million dollars for taking pictures of anuses
To be perfectly honest, I'm actually kind of impressed that he pulled that off. I don't know how I'd even begin to pull a scam like that

Contemporary art is not a genre, it merely describes art created in the period we're living.

Non-depicting art is garbage, I agree.
I appreciate the skill needed to create something beautiful not what the angry sjw feminist was thinking when she wiped the canvas with her blood stained menstruation pad.

>Neo Rauch
I will asume you are joking there.

>Modern art

>posts first google result.

Nice effort, fag...like I said before, the fault lies with you.
You have no taste.

Still looks like shit.
>You have no taste.
I must go and educate my self?

My wild guess is that you have wasted 3 years of your life at Art Uni. Am I right?

Modern Art exists solely to launder money

What about once you get past the beauty of the image though? Art that has no message or intent is pointless once you get past it's technical merit. If it has no deeper intent (whether that intent is obvious or not) beyond displaying an image I wouldn't even consider it art.

I used to know an extremely skilled portrait painter who would do commissions in their spare time. She would take a reference photo of the person and just copy it. To me she wasn't doing art. She was doing what a photoshop filter and a printer could do, creating a slightly stylized image. It's pointless beyond depicting a subject.

That's your opinion mate.

Paint is a colored paste that has no intrinsic representational value.
You seem to be worshiping an illusion made of a thin crust of colored paste spread on a tensed fabric.
The realistic rendering that you seem to like is the result of several conventions that no one is forced to follow.
Realism adds no value to an artwork it's merely technical like a photography or a 3D printing machine.

No, I come from a family of (magic realist) painters and am an autodidact painter myself.
Next to that, I am art historian mostly focused on undiscovered art from the 20's til 80's.
I used to be involved with the gallery world, but I was more interested in sculpture so that is what I'm currently pursuing.
I travel Europe yearly and document classic art in small medieval villages mostly around Italy.

What have you been doing?

>Realism adds no value to an artwork it's merely technical like a photography or a 3D printing machine

Why do modern art lack rest of a values I talked about then?
You are fixated at realism, but at the same time you ignore:
-meaning
-symbolism
-tradition
-proportions
-story telling
-style
-human nature
and many others.

Whan you think about art do not concentrate so hard on how it was painted, but on what it tells.
Modern art tells NOTHING.

>Realism adds no value to an artwork it's merely technical like a photography or a 3D printing machine

Jeeeeeesus, get yourself fucked in Aeroplastics, jeanetteke.
If this is a defence of Marlene Dumas-style low effort, low skill stuff...you'd have to come up with better arguments on why they don't even create the original image.
They take already established photos and lazily paint them.

Is that adding value?
Someone like Jenny Saville at least has the skill and originality of taking the photo herself and painting it with much greater skill.

>What have you been doing?
Hyper realistic graphic desing mostly.

>art historian
So you did waste 3 years at Art Uni, where they made you like that shit.

If you like those "paintings", good for you, just don't force other people to like it you freak.
What next? Create "Modern Art Parade of Pride" and make children watch it in public area?
Everyone can like what they want, just live it in behind closed door mate. Disgusting.

You're clearly not interested in contemporary art which explains your lack of knowledge about it.
Most of the values (sic) that you're pushing can be found in nowadays art. Even tradition, which sounds really stupid, is found in the work of many artists like Neo Rauch (deal with it) or Borremans. It depends on what you mean by tradition whether it's some familly/church values or the reference to older artists and works of art.

Modern art tells (you) nothing and so be it.

No, Autodidact...I mentioned it before, I am an art historian in a field I kind of carved out for myself.
I have a few contacts that are doing the same, but it's very specific and it has nothing to do with going to school.
"We" quite literally have to sometimes visit the artist who has no idea his work has been rediscovered.
It's touching, really...nothing like the cold, calculated, inhuman world of graphic design.
No wonder you are unable to recognize good art when it stares you in the face.
Graphic design is truly the playground of autism.
I have been told it's very difficult working in graphic design, especially because of all the cock you have to suck to make a living.
Do you make a good living out of it?...I imagine you do.

>modern art

I don't have to come up with arguments, like it or don't like it I don't care. You're clearly not in the disposition of someone who would listen to sound arguments anyway.

Call me a philistine I don't think I've ever seen a painting past or present I was impressed by.

>Do you make a good living out of it?...I imagine you do.

I do rent a 2 room apartment in the city centre in hight standard, but it is nothing above average.

>No wonder you are unable to recognize good art when it stares you in the face.
You call me autistic.

I enjoy listining to Black Metal, but I never call it good music or would tell other people that it is their fault they can not understand it.

Just because YOU like some shit it does not mean it it not-shit.

Graphic design is a job. You asked so I answered.

Also remember: Me being wrong is not making you right.

Can we at least agree that 'contemporary art' has nothing to do anymore with the avant-garde?

The same conceptual, low skill, low effort has been pushed since what should have been it's ending in maybe mid-80s...contemporary art really isn't asking questions.
If I have to come across one more contemporary piece based on 'interpersonal relationships' and 'modern communication', I get really bored.

I actually love arguing about art more than anything and I'd defend Marlene Dumas in a heartbeat.
It's Luc Tuymans I have a huge problem with...it's so lazy.

Visual arts are all ASS, and people who like it are shoulderpatting themselves for being so cool and openminded.

I have more respect for battle rappers than any hack who glues some shit together and calls himself an artist

entartete kunst thread?

entartete kunst thread!

dumping

Even the average person can name Da vinci, Michelangelo, Rembrandt, Goya, Van gogh.
Hell even Dali and Picasso who are more recent but did more decent art than today.
Now tell them to name a moder artist. Any from the last 30 years.
They're forgettable

>Now tell them to name a moder artist. Any from the last 30 years.

Jeffery Gold?

laziness is not a bad topic, there are very good works on boredom

Anyway art has nothing to do with nothing, it's what people do with it. It may be political, poetic or both or none.

>I do rent a 2 room apartment in the city centre in hight standard, but it is nothing above average.

It's still an impressive amount of dick sucking, good for you.
You worked hard for it.

Also, I am the authority on a certain field in art, I can make the assessment because I not only can make it, I have studied it for countless hours...I'm right when I say what is good and what is not.

You are a graphic designer who listens to BM who has to suck dick for a living.

>posts 5 jpgs
>Hey look at the state of art today

I'm currently an art major at university. Would you be willing to hire me as an apprentice?

I don't have a problem with contemporary art, in fact I love some of the art today, like pic related.

My problem is that often I see works from hacks and trust-fund shitters being elevated and promoted. Everyone has some over-explained 2deep4you shit that the only reason you didn't like it is because you didn't understand it and everyone is afraid to call out that shit because then their own vague "hipster" status would be threaten. Like vid related : youtu.be/I9lmvX00TLY

Five? I've got a whole folder full of jpegs

>Interior Semiotics

oh man that takes me back

>authority on a certain field in art
Did you remmeber to take your pills today?

>I'm right when I say what is good and what is not.
kek

>suck dick for a living.
If you see working as sucking a dick then I must guess you still live with parents.

See this is the problem with modern art it's all bullshit. It's a story given to mundane objects to make them seem special. Why do you need the artist to explain his piece to you? Shouldn't the piece speak to you as soon as you lay your eyes on it? Until modern art can convey its message through the medium and not through exposition than it will always be trash.

Hey graphics user I have a question.

How do you deal with being told what to do and what to change when you're making something? I recall a time many years back at my parents house when I was helping them scan old photos and edit them.

>shrink that
>make it a bit wider
>can you cut that bit out?
>why is this area so dark?
>straighten this a bit

It nearly drove me mad

He is really into sucking dick from what I seen.
Try that.
PS. He/she has no job.

Modern art comes off as insincere and pretty retarded.

My wife is a realist. She is an illustrator, but other realists who try to go to galleries get rejected, no matter how stunning their work is. They are told "that's not the sort of thing we sell here." Instead they put up shit like a literal banana sticker on a cellphone.

All artists are taught in college to bullshit out the ass. Just make whatever comes to mind and afterwards, invent some deep meaning for moronic pseudo-intellectual hipsters to fawn over.

Modern art is an absolute joke.

I am curious though, how common were those names during their time?

Yup. Writing, film, music how many other arts raise up shit to the top and try to make you believe it's good. Only fine art

this is the kind of shit that makes normal persons support isis

Is this bait?

1. Because "idea art" and "you just don't get it" and "it's what I want it to be" is just an invitation for fraud.
2. Because classical art was commissioned and paid for by private people whereas modern art forces taxpayers to finance degenerates.
3. Because even many figures involved in modern art agree that it's mostly an overheated investment market that uses art as a speculative alternative currency and has little to do anymore with what art is supposed to be.

If you make art so subjective that you can call it art to go around and piss on people after robbing them, you can't really complain that people turn their back on you. It's just another value that modernists destroyed.

The initial joke you flew right by you, it would be cruel to continue...who knows, I might even get insecure that you never realized that I was calling you a literal sucker of penises instead of a graphic designer.

No, go through the process, loose all faith and start getting into classic painting...buy yourself a second hand etching press (they're reasonable) and teach yourself the skill.
You'll learn everything from doing it yourself.
Mostly if you have the stamina to do it...actual painting, actual sculpting is a lot of work.

You just do that. Before you start you give them 5 feedbacks. This way they can't spam you with idiotic remakes and have to think hard on what they want fix and what is not important.
I do web design so not much to fuck up you know.

This is an empty room with a light that turns off and on every now and again.

This is apparently art.

> Mechanically copying a photograph, essentially turning yourself into a technically inferior human Xerox machine

Draw from life, you fucking idiot. What makes a beautiful painting is a visual impression distilled through a human consciousness, not a soulless attempt at achieving a 1:1-ratio in likeness.

Your pic-related proved why no one likes modern art.

I think it's pretty good, desu sempai

I'm majoring in printmaking actually and I'd love to get myself a press at some point. Don't really have the room for it in my single bedroom apartment though.

>Because "idea art" and "you just don't get it" and "it's what I want it to be" is just an invitation for fraud.
Modern art is the Emperor's New Clothes of our society.

My wife loves bullshitting hipsters. Usually I help her with it too. Its tremendous fun.

daily remider that modern """""""art""""""" degenerates have nothing to do here and should return to their holes from which they crawled

Here in Europe, the market for realistic paintings has been in a boom for the last 10 years...every realist painter I know has not stopped selling work, the market seems insatiable.
People with the money for it seem to no longer fall for the conceptual meme.

Have her go through some of the galleries here: realismeamsterdam.com/index.php?lan=uk

Holy fuck all these comments and still no one has figured it out.

Before when art was beautiful it was because humans were going through a phase of "we as humans are magnificent, life is glorious" that was the mentality of a lot of people so they tried to capture that mentality and it reflects with the creativity we experienced in the past. Now the mentality has morphed into "i am magnificent, i am glorious" there is nothing wrong with the ego but only if it can be backed up. Beethoven had a huge fucking ego but
the guy had a right. Now days you have people who are no doubt terrible artists with zilch creativity and yet their works are praised because no matter how utterly shit it is, it is still a direct representation of the mentality we are experiencing today which is worship of your ego.

Is it a result of the "you're a special snowflake and can do anything!" mentality that kids are raised on nowadays?

The only good art is anime.

Modern art is a joke as you can get away with fuck all.

I once broke a glass in my sister hipster friend's house accidentally and I told him it was a statement on xenophobic politics. Dumbass motherfucker praised my 'ingenuity'

>political

enjoy your thread while it lasts

>Some people like things that I don't like and it makes me angry

A very childish behavior

for the love of god just go back to reddt

>some people print fake currency and suck the money out of my pockets but if I don't like that, I just don't get it and should stop being a child

>everything is subjective and nothing has intrinsic value anymore and everyone's opinion is worth exactly the same

Wew

>Now days you have people who are no doubt terrible artists with zilch creativity and yet their works are praised because no matter how utterly shit it is, it is still a direct representation of the mentality we are experiencing today which is worship of your ego.

No.

>Is it a result of the "you're a special snowflake and can do anything!" mentality that kids are raised on nowadays?

No.

Modern art is a money laundering scheme by kikes. They need the art to be done by a retarded stooge because it needs to have zero intrinsic value, so they can buy it up for nothing.

Using their connections in the art racket they then say artist X is an exemplary visionary of the modern age and inflate the value of the painted paper to millions.

Suddenly this piece of canvas worth about 10 bucks in materials is worth millions, because everyone in the ((((art world)))) says it should be.

That alone would be a scheme worthy of a kike investor, but it's not enough, because in trading this (((art))) they can both inflate value and create "losses" just based on what their friends say it should be.
They use this to manipulate their bookkeeping to what they want it to be.

That's to say nothing of the real retards, the people who invest in this bullshit legitimately, who don't know it's a scam.

I am looking for a piece depicting a german soldier resting his head kneeled on a maiden's lap.

It doesnt give me an Art boner like pic related .

>If you have to explain it to me...

What if you're a moron?

Even a moron can appreciate a pretty picture

The important thing about this thread is...you are saying that contemporary art is bad and you post examples.
Contemporary art agrees with you...you mostly post examples of absolute nobodies, nothing nobody with taste or money would buy.
Tampon art or ass paint art really isn't a thing, these art egregious examples of feminism and degenerate faggotry.
A child scribbles made by an adult or some dumb text painted on a wall will not be preserved for future generations.
Damien Hirst is nothing that will hold any place for the future of art.
It is already dying and the future looks bright.

I'm not saying all post-modern questioning of art will be gone, but we will see a huge influx of classic, academic skill in art.
Rich kids will always have their schools of Modern Art since they are useless to their parents as any type of heir...however, the competitive nature of painting and sculpting that has existed throughout the history of art will make an enormous comeback.

imagine if one day well be living in a god pastoral society like the old days and you come to that place and see the ruins of modern world overgrown with weeds like a new roman empire (pic related)

the very thought on that brings a tear on my eye

I certainly hope you're right

>The realistic painting death comes from photography
What about music? Or dance?
Did it have a recording history purpose? No. Though it's still got decadent as fuck.

So you copied a photo.
No wonder you got bored with your 'art'.

Memes are art.

I used to love making these things in kindergarten

Op asked, do you not realise how questions 's work?

In a way yes but art has been degrading for a long time before the special snowflake thing. People are creating art for all the wrong reasons. Do you think Michelangelo painted the Sistine chapel because he thought "i'm fucking great fuck yeah check out my sick paint skills" no he did it in the name of god thus removing any ego he had allowing him to do something incredible.

Take a break from Cred Forums, jews really aren't that intelligent man lol

Because the kind of "art" your talking about has been rehashing the same fucking concept of "this art subverts your traditional expectations of what art should be and is therefore a complex and intellectual endeavor :^)" for a fucking century.

When the "point" of the work is the abstract concept that it represents — not just the work having a clear message or meaning that can be drawn from it, but that the entire purpose of the work itself is to be an obtuse representation of a singular idea — then the work itself becomes meaningless and only the message can be valued, which 99% of the time is either totally unoriginal or fucking nonsense. There is nothing to be appreciated in repeating the same "statement" a more talented person made long before you.
Furthermore, the primary advantage that traditional art has as a medium is that it is relatively easy for its viewer to appreciate the skill and technique involved in its creation. If the focus of the piece is not supposed to be the work itself but the idea that it conveys, then there is almost never a reason to choose traditional art in order to achieve that goal when almost any other medium could accomplish with far greater ease and complexity.

And here you are circlejerking about it on a japanese anime board

THIS.

Please upload your folder, too lazy to download these all with filenames

I, as an aspiring artist, just want to create art that people will enjoy

>Take a break from Cred Forums, jews really aren't that intelligent man lol

independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/art/news/contemporary-art-is-a-fraud-says-top-dealer-1628929.html

"A new age has begun"

>figure of Damien Hirst shooting himself in the head

I'd buy that

thats how its supposed to be

I'm too lazy to upload it anywhere

independent.co.uk/news/world/modern-art-was-cia-weapon-1578808.html

Soon

Art is valued by technique, not time

>If you call out something that's going wrong, you're no better than them because you talk about it

>Maybe they commit fraud and make bad art on purpose just to make you realise that and think about it, EVER THOUGHT ABOUT THAT HUH?

You're a complete retard.

Artists are not responsible for the state of the art market

Can you read nigger ?

You are correct.

nypost.com/2014/04/27/inside-the-mad-world-of-modern-art/

What's more regressive, some leg beard driving the contents of a can of ravioli up her whoha or the person that says it's garbage and not art?

I usually stop reading after the word "kike" pauvre con

That's not an insanely deep message. That's like a factoid. Bob Dylan was deep. This is a guy who makes smooth colorful shapes and says they look weird, yehhh no shit. I'm sorry user, I'm really taking a dump on this guy.

>look at me guys i traced one of goya's engravings and drew a swastika and tony abbot because fuck that guy! xDDD
>oops it came out backwards because i don't know how engraving works never mind its SUPPOSED to be that way! To show how BACKWARD tony faggot is! xxXDD rofl

that's one of the only decent things i've seen in this thread.

Yeah go figure, shlomo.

i brought one of leonid's paintings, now he won't stop spamming me with offers

Sums it up. Literally all of its basis is I was just pretending to be retarded

Irony should be outlawed

ITT: OP defends modern art then posts shit examples

To be fair, the hell pieces were pretty good when they just started them...

There is nothing to understand or appreciate about a blank canvas with a single line through it or a high resolution photo of a bunch of anus.

I wiuld argue that modern art is in fact advertising, the stuff you see in museums is just masturbation. That's if you follow the narrative that art must have meaning.

Maybe we should all smear shit on the homeless to spark philosophical discussions of morality.

Modern art is trash because the artist puts no effort or skill into it.
Art is "good" because of geometry.
Sentimentality while important shouldn't be the end all criteria, how you feel is not the whole story.
There are specific images which please the mind and the goal is to get these to coalesce with an idea so the observer understands and appreciates the meaning.
Modern art lacks this almost entirely.
Art follows philosophy and a bunch of a retards got together and decided to murder philosophy with nihilism, an undefinable, unpinnable, vague "philosophy" about life.

"""""""""Modern art"""""""""is a jewish invention. It requires no talent and no effort and it's used for money laundering purposes

Oh this 'style'.
Copied my millions of tumblerites and entry level self taught artists. Because it's so easy to copy.

Yeah I will concede that. They've got that at my city's art gallery and its pretty damn awesome.

>Its only merit is its craft
That's the whole point of visual arts, retard. If you wanna explain some piece of shit in words, you might just as well skip the piece of shit itself and just write literature.

go for beauty, something undeniably great.

Sadly i stand corrected, i can see your passion friend so i apologise. The same fate has happened with music. People they may be jews or just money hungry scum realised the amount of money that can be made from art and have manufactured it. Its all just a business to them now. I really hope we have another renaissance for they have taken something that makes humans truly incredible and spat on it.

Anyway speaking of modern art, anyone know where you can get lifesize rare pepe oil on canvas?

There are airports and hospitals full of these...I'm not saying you can't enjoy them or that it's badly painted, but it is really ugly.

I might start making those.

contemporary art is very high percentage garbage. it's easier to say "it's shit" rather than list every single piece of contemporary art ever created and whether or not you like it.

are you dense. it's called prejudice.

I am looking through Afremov's gallery now and for some reason those paintings just "speak" to me. I am calm as fuck when looking at them. Thank you.

Jews are. Collecting "art" and reselling it is just a way for them to do money laundering.

You're stealing my idea but I'm too lazy to do anything about it. Hit me up when you've painted the rarest, I'll pay top dollar

I'll make you an engraving or a relief print if you want

It's jew funded, but it was definitely the white right-wing elites that started it as a way to fuck with the bourgeois classes (who hated it) and destroy academic art.
It was way more of a class thing than a race thing, but yeah...kikes funded it.

whats the artistic thing im supposed to be looking at? Is this a painting or a photo?

>I really hope we have another renaissance for they have taken something that makes humans truly incredible and spat on it.

I agree completely. Art based on striving and beauty is not marketable art today.

As far as the defenders of modern art go; most of their arguments boil down to the impact of art, that even shitty art that offends or upsets is good because it creates emotions.
To them I say Cred Forums does what they claim is great every day and for free too. Everything contemporary art to conceptual art and performance art wants to be is something a bunch of shitposters did on their spare time far more successfully.

When did any other artist collective influence an election like we've done?

That's a big stack of Christmas puddings he has there

WE

I'm learning how to paint by my own, I'd love to be a painter but it feels so underrated nowadays it's not worth the effort. Pic related is my first painting, it's my cat. I know I still have a lot to learn.

Quakers like to have park benches indoors is what you're supposed to take away from it.

Oops

There is a thing that annoys me when discussing art on Cred Forums...they don't seems to recognize shitposting IRL when they see it.
The buttplug garden gnome is not "DEGENERACY", it's shitposting.

You do understand this is a politics board right?

A religious one no less, of course they are gonna like religious paintings, they can actually resonate with that

Why would you think that Cred Forums of all places will comprehend contemporary art

AW YEAH FLIP THAT UPSIDE DOWN A-AND
>J-J-JAM IT IN

No it's not the "artist" is a degenerate faggot.

>Is it because a lot of contemporary art takes more time and effort to appreciate and understand because so much of it is "idea art", not just a beautiful image?

I could convince you idiots to appreciate literal dog shit.

Someone already tried it with literal shit

pissing people like you off was the literal purpose of this piece's existence

duchamp was very talented btw, see pic related.

The point isn't that it's deep. It's just showing you something about how you perceive depth and color by taking away the tools you usually have to perceive them. The impact of it is trick it's playing.

Here, this is another example of the same concept, actually his first piece like this. When you walk into the gallery all you see is a blank grey rectangle on the wall. It looks flat, no depth or form really. It's not until you actually try to touch it that you realize it's a window into another room. The point is to show how we use changing values to perceive depth. The impact is the realization that you actually have no idea what you're looking at, even though you're looking right at it. The tools you usually use are gone. Like I said though, you can't really experience it through a photograph, walking around and reaching through is part of the interaction it takes to fully appreciate it.

Yes, but a Cred Forums-tard is also a degenerate faggot...are you morally outraged as well?

It was intended to hurt the christians and french natives.
It was neither art nor trolling. Leftist can't troll, you need self awareness for this.
Besides look at the rest of this amerijew's art.
He is dead serious about it.

contemporany art is degeneracy promoted by kikes, kikes reward mediocrity, inferiority and mental illness.. for this decadent society if you are fat you are a hero for being fat, if you are retarded you are a hero for being retarded

This is art.

>AFO
Boy that sounds familiar. Look her up. Yep. She went to the same college I went to.

I've really got my heart set on a big old rare pepe in oil. I don't know how much art generally us but if someone could do it I'd definitely consider paying up to like £2k

this is art for jews (no kidding)

this is music for jews (no kidding)

>french natives
Isn't it a bit preposterous to speak in the name of all French "natives"?

contemporary art no longer means anything

its the curse of the post irony era

when everything is ironic, nothing has meaning any longer

Nice, get yourself over to /ic

>DEEP
I cut a hole in the wall , I duped my senses to think its a rectangle. If i was a child I might enjoy it but this is just bullshit.

We live in the age of Machines and technology. Its cold and superficial. Contemporary art reflects some of it , I don't think there is anything deep in that.

Did I ask for your opinion, mongrel?

>I agree completely. Art based on striving and beauty is not marketable art today.

This is what shatters me to the core, how we have gone backwards all because of currency. Haha you are so right friend, by their logic any emotion is good even if its disgust. What a time to be alive.

>We live in the age of Machines and technology. Its cold and superficial

Wasn't that the goal of Futurism?

>yes good
Do people really talk like that?

Are you forgetting where you are you dense bonehead?

If you look at his name it was probably more like a "yesss gooood"

A actually like this image. It has a clear setting and characters, evokes emotion and tells a story like real art, not the usual Jason Pollock ink blot meme. I do admit that a random Ice Age storyboard cell would probably be just as artistic. Framing characters like this isn't hard when you can visualise it.

>photorealism meme
completely worthless and pointless in every way

just panders to retards who like to masturbate over how much time it must've taken

You just took the picture from that "forgotten languages" thread and copy pasted it and stretched it a whole bunch didn't you

I'm a jazz musician and even I can't fucking stand the pretentiousness that comes from every corner of the "art" world.

There's no such thing as a simple conversation to these people, even a 2 minute discussion of their craft inevitably descends into philosophical ramblings on the nature of "what is beauty" because this is the only realm in which their inane drawings and lack of obvious talent can be presented.

Yeah Jazz gets criticized for being too intellectual, but I practice my fucking scales, changes, work on riffs, voicings. You can hate on it all you want but at the end of the day you can't replicate it without the same amount of effort. Not so for modern visual art. No wonder nobody has any respect for it. You have no appreciable talent and instead have to piggyback off philsophy to "ask a question" or "start a conversation" like that's the only thing art can possibly do.

I just googled "modern art". It's surprising how many of these look like clip art or bad wallpapers.

go to bed wynton marsalis

I drew from life too back then (although I rarely had the opportunity to draw portraits from life), it really didn't make a big difference at all. I would draw statues and they didn't look any different than things I drew from a photo. Not to discount the value of knowing how to draw from life, but for me it didn't make a massive difference in the end.
Have an MC Escher rip off drawn from life.

But yeah I totally agree with what you said about being a Xerox machine, that was a big part of why I stopped drawing in that style, it's extremely boring and pointless beyond dick wagging about technique, especially when the subject is boring as well.

>VijayKreationz

>>We live in the age of Machines and technology. Its cold and superficial
Nope, it just turned out that way. People were excited to bring the world closer to utopia, never anticipated how it would change the kids who grow up such a world.

It is now a Windows 98 wallpaper

Odd name to reference, has he made comments about modern art too, or are you just namedropping a jazz player for some reason?

How is this art? What is it conveying? What emotions are you reaping from this shit? I sense no wonder or amazement. You can tell whoever made it was on a bender of pretentious egoism.

>look mum i'm an artist!!!

he rejected free jazz, avant-garde jazz, etc in favor of neo-traditionalism / "classic," conservative jazz.

styleweekly.com/richmond/wynton-marsalis-speaks-frankly-about-the-controversy-surrounding-his-view-of-jazz/Content?oid=1391667

How to Make "Modern Art"

youtube.com/watch?v=d7ez-gIt08I

LOL epic

I meant OP's image. Main guy is staring at the edges of his pink square, really making himself think, while couples exist are outside of it in the real world staring at him. You could put this in a depression pamphlet instead of the usual stock photos of sad people. It's successful art, but not groundbreaking.

That mess of vector shapes I posted is completely meaningless in comparison. Doen't even makes sense.

Modern art is still art in the same way Simpsons keyframes are art.

sounds like fuel for the ovens to me

Well his opinions there seem pretty reserved and understandable. Any subgenre that strays far enough from it's roots becomes something different. Hence why Jazz is different from the blues.

>it's like lemonade. Take enough lemons out and it becomes something else. In any case, it requires judgment."

Good shit right there. I'll have to watch the documentary, thanks for turning me on to this.

Nope. I work in that business. 99% is absolute shite. Much like acting. But if you get a good one, it can be pretty amazing.

>1366x768
A little dated to be /contemporary/