Why use fahrenheit in current year +1, Cred Forums? is there any rationale at all?

why use fahrenheit in current year +1, Cred Forums? is there any rationale at all?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZMByI4s-D-Y
youtube.com/watch?v=r7x-RGfd0Yk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astronomical_unit
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

but america is the most jewish nation after israel

you guys literally cut bits of your dick off for the jews lol, fahrenheit is jew af

I like Fahrenheit.

Who wants a daily weather scale that would go, where I live, from like 20-40?

Yeah it pisses the rest of the world off, and that makes us laugh. It's the same reason we say Soccer and use Football for something else, you guys get so fucking butthurt about it.

lmao yeah 68 - 104 is much nicer

It really is.

it's arbitrary lad

>Yeah it pisses the rest of the world off, and that makes us laugh
nah it doesn't piss the rest of the world off, it makes us laugh

France
r
a
n
c
e

If it makes you laugh and it makes us laugh, then why change things when everyone's happy?

i fucking kek'd

desu feet and pounds are pretty comfy for everyday use

yes indeed, and pretty badly kek

At work I use the Metric system, but I prefer using the standard system for everything else.

There is a very long video by an architect that explains the value of Imperial measure in terms of ancient ideas about aesthetics.

So what measurements do we have in common?

60 seconds in 1 minute, 60 minutes in 1 hour, 24 hours in 1 day. 7 days in 1 week. 4 weeks in 1 month. 12 months in 1 year.

REALLY

MAKES

YOU

THINK

Who gives a shit, honestly?

Metric > English, bunch of fuck wits who don't do any engineering in here.

>4 weeks in 1 month
that's not how it works, lad

Most metric units are defined in terms of other metric units. Celsius is not. Use metric for most things and Fahrenheit for temperature.

Americans are really stupid and lazy.

They don't change stupid shit like this till it becomes absolutely necessary.

>europoors are too retarded to measure things when they don't have an easy base 10 system
Kek

There is objectively nothing wrong with fahrenheit in the way it's used. Celsius is already used in chemisty and places where it actually matters.

>engineer
>doesn't use slugs as a unit of measure

Bet you don't use blobs either.

>Celsius is not
no, but it is used to define calories
1 (small) cal = energy to make a gram of distilled water at 1 atm pressure go from 14,5°C to 15,5°C

>implying average americans can actually do any kind of math irl
kek

laos, china, laos, etc?

You forgot France, China, Japan, and Vietnam.

>it's arbitrary lad

Then what the fuck is the point of your OP?

>My arbitrary system is better than your arbitrary system!

blow it out your ass

The base SI units are unto themselves; and the unit for centigrade is equivalent to kelvin. So use metric/SI.

>jews keep the best system for their own use while giving a 'fuck you' to the dumb american goyim, only allowing them to use a retarded pleb system
makes sense

Fahrenheit is very intuitive and convenient for average weather in many places in the US. Where I live summers will reach the 90s at their peak and winters single digits at their minimum. It fits a nice 0-100 mould.

Celsius and Kelvin are the go to scales for STEM but Fahrenheit works just fine for daily use.

>1 atm pressure

Nice unbiased metric measurement there, waffle.

The true question is why don't we use a base-12 universal system for everything. It's fucking perfect.

Right up until you think of how important 11 is for real world estimations.

would you have preferred I said "at 0 meters above sea leve"?

>Someone who weights themselves in "stones" complaining about measurements
This is a non-issue, quit trying to make mountains out of a mole hill.

100 degrees:

Fahrenheit - Hot
Celsius - Dead
Kelvin - Dead

0 degrees

Fahrenheit - cold
Celsius - put on a long sleeve shirt
Kelvin - Dead

Fahrenheit is clearly superior for common usage. C and K for stem

changing everything to Celsius word be a lot of work and would cost a lot of money

T. Dilma voter

you just have to switch measure on your phone dude

But China lost as well as south mores, Australia etc

>would you have preferred I said "at 0 meters above sea leve"?

On what planet?
Are you trying to be raciss?

It's not like changing a base will delete the number. What are you getting at?

dem kangz planet nigga

Because it's infinitely better than celsius

OP BTFO

How will they ever recover?

what about everything else

fpbp

>Fahrenheit is clearly superior for common usage.
How do you figure?

0C it might snow or have ice

10C nice day to go outside and do something physical
20C what most people can comfortably enjoy in a range of clothes
30C too hot to enjoy
40C might die if you work too hard without water

-10C cold enough to be annoying but not a danger
-20C starting to get really cold
-30C too cold to want to go outside
-40C better hope their is no wind, might get an ice tan if you are not careful, chance of death if you stay out too long

Face it, even accidentally slip up and use human relatable measurements sometimes.
>1 atmosphere
>1 Astronomical Unit

Hell, even the precious meter was originally defined as 1/10,000,000th of the distance from the North Pole to the equator, but was later retconned to be the distance travelled by light in 1/299,792,458th of a second, in a vacuum.

>He doesn't use Rankine master race
fucking jewish plebs

most use digital displays, there should be a way to set them
mercury thermometers, use double measure for the new ones produced for your market

Dates:
First off, month day year is superior for day to day life.
Properly indexed dates should only be used for cataloging and non-standard dating methods (ex: MRE date codes).
Also, using day month year in speaking sounds weird.

Metric time doesn't even meaningfully exist above the second.

Temperature:
Fahrenheit is superior to celsius for the same reason that celsius is superior to kelvin. (in day to day life)
76 is easier and shorter than 24.4 | 24.4 is shorter than 296.4
Fahrenheit is more precise while still being faster.
Celsius is the true cancer. Use either kelvin or fahrenheit you faggots.

Math:
Metric is superior in decimal, no doubt.
But the french fucked it up by cucking the kilogram as the base unit. It fucks with conversions.

Logic:
There is none. It's all arbitrary. All that was done was to make math and unit conversion easier. Metric is the same as imperial.
We won't see a truly objective unit system until metric 2.0 comes along.

Distance:
If it fits in your hands, use inches. Longer, use feet.
If you can see it from ground level, use yards. Longer, use miles.

Everything else can go, but distance measuring is going to be around for a long time in the US.

checked

what about books

>On what planet?
>Are you trying to be raciss?
He could state that 1 calorie will raise 1 gram of water 1C at 101.325kPa.

Or he can keep saying 1atm.

kek

rekt those fuckin gay ass yuropoors.

WHO'S BEEN TO THE MOON HERE?

THAT'S RIGHT EUROKEKS

0 °F = cold
100 °F = hot

0 °C = cold
100 °C = dead

0 K = dead
100 K = dead

>He could state that 1 calorie will raise 1 gram of water 1C at 101.325kPa.
>Or he can keep saying 1atm.

Still entirely arbitrary, unless you consider human relevance.

And, if you're going to do that anyway, then the imperial system is just as logical as metric.

FIRST REPLY BEST REPLY
I
R
S
T

R
E
P
L
Y

B
E
S
T

R
E
P
L
Y

ok but atmosphere too is now defined in a scientific manner, Pascals
1 atm = 101325 Pa
1 Pa = 1N/m2
1N = 1 kg⋅m/s2

0 °R = dead
100 °R = absolute zero

Most of the standard system originated from ancient europe and has been used by the romans and the anglo saxons

>ok but atmosphere too is now defined in a scientific manner, Pascals
>1 atm = 101325 Pa

>Still entirely arbitrary, unless you consider human relevance.
>And, if you're going to do that anyway, then the imperial system is just as logical as metric.

Brings a smile to my face every time.

Time systems are arbitrary. What the fuck is a week? We should use the french revolutionist decade of 10 days. Make a year a solar year and then change the definition of the months to exactly 30 days, and then change the smallest base unit, the second.

Redefine the second.

school books? aren't they gradually changed?
for manuals & co dual measure for new ones
for food packages & co same

give a couple years or so to comply so it isn't a too big shock

for complete transition let a lot more time than that pass so people get used

>Temperature:
>Fahrenheit is superior to celsius for the same reason that celsius is superior to kelvin. (in day to day life)
>76 is easier and shorter than 24.4 | 24.4 is shorter than 296.4
>Fahrenheit is more precise while still being faster.
>Celsius is the true cancer. Use either kelvin or fahrenheit you faggots.

A claim of a temperature of 76F outside of a controlled lab or maybe a clean room is a lie. If the temp was 24.4C people would say 25 or 24. The difference of less than 1C is more or less impossible to tell.

>Math:
>Metric is superior in decimal, no doubt.
>But the french fucked it up by cucking the kilogram as the base unit. It fucks with conversions.
How do you figure?

1kg of water is 1l of water
1000kg of water is 1000l or 1m^3

What better relation could you ask for?

end all

Pa is based on kilos and meters
it's just that measuring the pascals of the actual atmosphere does not give a round number

>How do you figure?
area to volume fucks it up, along with converting mass within a unit using volume.

g/l : kg/M^3 wew

you're combing a 1000th of a base unit and a 100th of base unit cubed and asking to convert to a base unit and a base unit cubed.
The scale is already fucked.

it's just not possible to measure any temperature under absolute zero

>deperately trying to make sense of a system that's based on fucking saltwater

The kilogram is based in this thing right here.

In what the pound is based?

>it's just that measuring the pascals of the actual atmosphere does not give a round number

Defining a meter by speed of light doesn't give a round number either.

You know why? Because a meter is an arbitrary length of measure that was later retconned to sound scientific.

1 atmosphere was retconned to sound scientific as well, but it's not.

Is it 1 Mars atmosphere, one Venus atmosphere, one average atmosphere?

No. It's one EARTH atmosphere. Ya know, something relatable to humans.

Just like inches, feet, yards, and fahrenheit.

>Still entirely arbitrary, unless you consider human relevance.

101.325 kPa is arbitrary but it matches the 0 to 100 scale of liquid water. If we wanted to change 101.325 to another a number we would lose the 100 degree range of liquid water. For example at 200kPa water is liquid to 120.23C.

So if we stop talking about standard pressure of 101.325 then we have two options, either we keep the 100 degree range which requires almost all other measures to change in amount, or we can throw away the 100 degree liquid range and keep all the other measures in proportion.

Clearly ignoring the 100 degree range is the option we took.

The ratio between pressure, temperature and the liquid state of water is not arbitrary. The we picked a set ratio that matches our base ten numbering system arbitrarily but with good reason.

>Why use Fahrenheit
You've clearly never lived somewhere were the temperature is below 0 Celsius for half the year.

>Everything else can go, but distance measuring is going to be around for a long time in the US.
This.

I only know imperial distance, weight, and time. I never learned imperial volume or temperature.
I've got not clue if water freezes at 32 or -32, or if water boils at 260ish or 320ish.
I've got no clue how many of anything makes up a gallon other than about 8 pounds of water.

Anything shorter than a yard I use metric.
I use deci/centi/millimeters and convert to imperial when necessary. 2.254:1 (cm:in)
I use pounds and convert to metric when necessary. 2.204:1 (lbs:kg)
I use liters.
I use ftlbs/sqin because thats what stuff is rated for and true metric is just as retarded.

I was not born in America and I still use cm over inches and things like that. I do not understand why Celsius is considered "more logical". Both Fahrenheit and Celsius are arbitrary. The logical choice would be to use Kelvin or some other absolute scale.

Also Year/Month/Day is the logical choice. Day/Month/Year goes against every other number system we have where the most significant number is left-most.

how the hell is fahrenheit relatable to humans? water (0/100C) is a lot more relatable to humans

Also I will say that I do not like how people use kg as a "weight". It is a measure of mass. Maybe I am just autistic though.

Someone put the Eye of Providence in the pyramid.

>area to volume fucks it up, along with converting mass within a unit using volume.
>g/l : kg/M^3 wew
>you're combing a 1000th of a base unit and a 100th of base unit cubed and asking to convert to a base unit and a base unit cubed.
>The scale is already fucked.

I'm still not understanding your objection to the liter, kilogram and meter.

What would you suggest would be a better way to relate the numbers?

0 is the temperature of a saturated ice and salt water mixture. 100 is roughly that of the human body.

>we picked a set ratio that matches our base ten numbering system arbitrarily but with good reason.

That good reason was to make measurements simple to work with in a controlled or theoretical environment.

The imperial system evolved with humans in the real world.
The metric system was created because the French wanted to do shit differently, and then modified over decades to sort of fit into the real world.

They're both arbitrary.
Lefties just push metric so they can feel superior.

>What would you suggest would be a better way to relate the numbers?
Pick a better unit of mass.

Gram is too small, so instead of just shifting the gram, they decided to fuck up all of metric by making the kilogram the base unit.

the 0 has already no link with common human experience
the 100 i "roughly" that of the human body I suppose because fahrenheit did an arbitrary measure on someone and it was never corrected to link it with the actual average warmth of people
so an arbitrary measure it is

The only people who know metric in America are drug users.

>The metric system was created because the French wanted to do shit differently, and then modified over decades to sort of fit into the real world.
This.
>Lefties just push metric so they can feel superior.
This.

Although imperial is complete trash for mixed unit outside of the real world.
(because imperial just makes new more continent units when mixed units are trash)

>the 0 has already no link with common human experience

Yeah. No reason any human being could have ever given two shits about when ice would form in a harbor.

>watching american "science show"
>"this forest is 500 000 football fields big"
>"the trees here are as tall as 25 story buildings"
>"one of them weighs even as much as 400 family cars"

0 had a lot of applications with science of the time. It was essentially the coldest temperature that could be recreated in a laboratory.

>30C too hot to enjoy

thats fucken perfect weather

>Defining a meter by speed of light doesn't give a round number either.
Yes it does.

>Because a meter is an arbitrary length of measure that was later retconned to sound scientific.
How does that change that a meter is now a perfectly round number as defined by the speed of light in a vacuum?

>1 atmosphere was retconned to sound scientific as well, but it's not.
Well it's exactly the force of pressure equal to 101.325kPa, which has a set meaning that is also in perfect relation to the speed of light, if you track back the mass to energy conversion and the meter which we agree is defined by the SOL. The only real point of contention is the duration of a second. But we have a few highly accurate natural measures that we agreed on for the duration of a second.

>because the French wanted to do shit differently
It was to create a unified system of measure for all of France instead of the local measures
then in the anglos said "We want to standardize our measures but heck no we're not gonna use the ungodly french ones" and here we have the imperial system

>>"this forest is 500 000 football fields big"
I only know the size of an acre in terms of a football field.
>>"the trees here are as tall as 25 story buildings"
Fair point, I would prefer fathoms over stories because they are so varied.
>>"one of them weighs even as much as 400 family cars"
Would prefer tons.

>How do you figure?
0 cold
10 cold
20 cold
30 cold
40 cold
50 cold
60 cold
70 bearable
80 not too bad
90 good
100 excellent
110 toasty
120 fucking hot
130 too late, you're already dead

because every sea in the world correspond to that exact mixture of course
that makes more sense

>is there any rationale at all?

Imperial / traditional measurements are based on the USERS of that system, while the retarded metric system is wholly arbitrary.

For example, a bushel is a bushel because that’s just the right size for a HUMAN to pick up and carry around.

The proof is this is that metric containers continue to be the _same size_ as the old Imperial / traditional containers, except now they have a completely arbitrary label slapped on them.

Bet you don't even know what slugs are.

Fahrenheit is superior for temperature. The difference in the feel of the temperature can be significant and Celsius isn't nuanced enough in that regard. Rest of the metric system is ace though.

>How does that change that a meter is now a perfectly round number as defined by the speed of light in a vacuum?

So what if it is?
It's still an entirely arbitrary measurement that was re-defined to be related to the speed of light.

It would be a simple matter to do the same thing with any Imperial measurement, or any other measurement that has ever existed.

>The imperial system evolved with humans in the real world.
I don't see you working in fucking cubits or an ell now do I?

The imperial system is based off of some mythical average which for the means of accurate measure almost no one would match.

That their are two different and conflicting names for a measurement is evidence of the stupidity of the system. Fuck the ounce.

>40 cold
>50 cold
>60 cold

Jungle nigger, please leave.

>Rest of the metric system is ace though.
pascals
kilograms
electricity and magnetism

... Not even close

>he thinks filing cabinets are/were organized by day

If base 10 is so great, why doesn't Europe use metric time?

>checkmate eurocucks

>The proof is this is that metric containers continue to be the _same size_ as the old Imperial / traditional containers, except now they have a completely arbitrary label slapped on them.

you just have to build new ones, lad

Celsius sucks for measuring the day's temperature in comparison to Fahrenheit. Temperatures fluctuate between 0 - 100 throughout the year in temperate climates. Why measure outside temperature on a scale where 100 coincides with boiling water instead of being roughly equivalent to the highest level of heat that occur in the weather's pattern?

Y'all niggers just want to be different.

>If base 10 is so great
It isn't, 12 is a much, much better base. That's why America realized sticking with feet/inches would keep us prosperous.

there were a couple problems with a 10 days week with only one day off during the french revolution

I've only ever seen snow once in my life.

Literally not how metric works. There is some orb or something that is the official weight of a kilo. Everything else is just an approximation, and the weight has changed since it has been handled and new ones were made.

The one benefit is its more accurate but otherwise I only use it for the oven and pool temperature

>It would be a simple matter to do the same thing with any Imperial measurement, or any other measurement that has ever existed.
Well the inch is defined as 25.4 mm and a yard as 0.9144m. So one light second = 327857018.81 yards. Nice of the .81 at the end to come along like a nigger and fuck everything up.

Also why do you give a shit if the length of a meter was slightly changed? You seem really upset that it changed. More so that a normal person would care about.

Yep, and based scientists are working on coming up with a mathematical constant for the kilogram since the official kilogram is susceptible to changes in mass.

I think all the other SI measurements have mathematical constants now.

The only reason im so good with metric is because of all the physics classes I took in college for my degree. Even when I use metric units I convert them to imperial in my head.

It's just relative, if you grow up with centigrade you make the same mental associations. You tell someone from a metric country that it's 42C outside and they'll know that means it's really fucking hot.

>The imperial system is based off of some mythical average which for the means of accurate measure almost no one would match.

The Imperial system evolved and changed with it's users and has remnants that have fallen into disuse over time.

It's ease of use in the real world is still impressive, even though with computers and modern implements it's less necessary than in the past.

but why have a realistic range of about 27 when you can have a realistic range of 120.

>There is some orb or something that is the official weight of a kilo. Everything else is just an approximation

And how is that of value to me as a human? All I care about is the "ergonomics" of the measurements.

I don't care that it can be divided by 10 in multiple ways, I just want a handy human sized container of milk.

Now instead of just simply dealing with 1 gallon, I have to fuck around with a wholly arbitrary number of 3.7854117 liters of milk.

How is that better?

Anyone who cooks with imperial measurements should be shot.
Anyone who does scientific/precision work in inches and yards should be lynched.

Spoken like someone who's never dealt with ice in their lives.

You hired Germans to build your rockets and used other European mathematicians to do the calculations.

>It's ease of use in the real world is still impressive
I can't think of any real uses that are impressive.

A mile seems like a retarded length, an inch doesn't have any reasonable relation to a mile. A fluid ounce has no relation to cubic inches.

Hell the fluid ounce doesn't have any sensible relation to any other measure of volume other than the oh so useful tablespoon.

And my fucking tablespoons don't have a carrying volume of a tablespoon measure so that doesn't even make sense.

>Also why do you give a shit if the length of a meter was slightly changed?

I don't. But to claim that Metric is the unchallenged, obviously superior holy system because it's the current year is silly.

Metric and Imperial both have uses.

I simply prefer Imperial for real world interactions.
It's a human relatable measurement system; work involving measurement and number is always more convenient if everything can be expressed in whole numbers and lengths that can be readily visualized.

/Thread

>How is that better?
You can buy milk in 4l jugs....

I mean you likely buy 2l bottles of pop/soda/coke (if you live in the retard section of the nation).

>I can't think of any real uses that are impressive.
>A mile seems like a retarded length, an inch doesn't have any reasonable relation to a mile.

That's because, like most Metric missionaries, you've probably not thought about the Imperial system at all.

One mile is 63360 inches. A half mile is 31680 inches. A quarter mile is 15840 inches. 1/8th of a mile is 7920 inches. 1/16th of a mile is 3960 inches. 1/32nd of a mile is 1980 inches. 1/64th of a mile is 990 inches. 1/128th of a mile is 495 inches.

(side note: a gallon is 128 ounces, or 2 to the 7th power)

The brilliance of the design becomes even more apparent when dealing with thirds: 495 can be divided into three equal whole-number parts—165, which can again be divided into three equal whole-number parts—55. 55 is then divisible by 5 and 11.

A major disadvantage of the metric system in the real world is that thirds and elevenths cannot be expressed as whole numbers.

The number 63360 is admirably practical as it is composed of the factors 2, 3, 5, and 11.
A mile is 2x2x2x2x2x2x2x3x3x5x11 inches.

These factors are the basis of other units of Imperial measurement as well:
There are 2x2x2x2x2x3x5x11 feet in a mile.
There are 2x2x2x2x2x5x11 yards in a mile.
There are 2x3x3x11 inches in a pole.
There are 2x2x2x2x2x2x5 poles in a mile.
There are 2x2x2x2x3x5x11 yards in a domesday league.

NONE of this is coincidence.

11 is an extremely important number in real world calculations, because Pi.

For example, if you want to construct a circle with a circumference of one mile, the radius will be 280 yards, or 840 feet, or 10080 inches.

If the circumference is to be one third of a mile, the radius is 280 feet.

A circumference of one fifth of a mile, the radius is 56 yards.

A circumference of one thirtieth of a mile would have a radius of 28 feet.

1/36th of a mile, a radius of 280 inches.

And a circle with a circumference of 1/360th of a mile can be constructed with a radius of 28 inches.

7ths

Inefficiently small.

3.78541178 big.

You guys are missing the point; a gallon container has historically been a gallon all over the planet since humans first made pottery, because that just the right size for humans to use.

>3.78541178 big.

That should be "Inefficiently large".

>Inefficiently small.
so buy more than one

>Anyone who does scientific/precision work in inches and yards should be lynched.
Only an idiot would think one unit of measurement is inherently more precise than another. You have no idea what you're talking about, you just like SI because your science teachers memed that opinion into your head. Count the number of distinct factors in 10 and 12 and see which is more dividable; feet are a much more useful unit than meters for this reason.

>It's a human relatable measurement system; work involving measurement and number is always more convenient if everything can be expressed in whole numbers and lengths that can be readily visualized.

So is metric.

4l of milk. 1km of length. 1kg of rice. 20C of temperature.
100kPa of pressure. 500N of force. 10 Sv of radiation.
1000W, 1000J.

I bet every electronic device you own is measured in power by watts rather than foot pounds per second.

Hey man how many foot pounds per second is the light bulb?

>paying for packaging
or the units could just be reasonable for day to day life.

>so buy more than one

Or just continue using a container perfectly suited for humans to use.

>You guys are missing the point; a gallon container has historically been a gallon all over the planet since humans first made pottery, because that just the right size for humans to use.

Historically the volume of pottery has been local and different for every user/maker culture. Is 4l too much? Milk sells well enough in Canada in 4l jugs.

Also if a gallon was just the right size why isn't the gallon of pop/cola/soda/coke more common?

Tell me what's more intuitive. A system based off of the power of 10, or a system based off of something insane .

What do you even use on calipers ? milli inches ? Totally retarded.

I can summarize the metric system in one line.
Powers of 10.
Explaining imperial took a whole essay.

Link? This sounds interesting

Imperial is better for day to day stuff, metric is better for STEM fields that need very accurate measurements.

Anyone arguing otherwise is retarded.

>not using the kilofeet

Too bad our math is in decimal and not duodecimal.
You would have a point if we counted from 1 to B

FPBP

>Also if a gallon was just the right size why isn't the gallon of pop/cola/soda/coke more common?

Because pop and other liquids aren't consumed by HUMANS that way.

The user is what's important.

What is so special about a double cup?

10 is an arbitrary base and doesn't help at all for mental calculations. With ten, 1/2, 1/4, 1/5, 1/8, and 1/10 are terminating decimals. For the same range with twelve, you get: 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/6, 1/8, and 1/9 as terminating duodecimals. You may as well throw in 1/12 because ten doesn't have 11 or 12 either.

>I can summarize the metric system in one line.
>Powers of 10.

But who cares? When you grab that gallon of milk, you're not thinking about how many times you can multiply or divide it by 10, you just want a handy sized container.

>I can summarize the metric system in one line.
>Powers of 10.

Too bad that the real world doesn't always conform to powers of 10.

Metric is a system that tries to force nature and human interaction with it into neat little blocks.

And, that's fine.

Now, tell me the nice, orderly length of the radius of a circle with a circumference of one kilometer.

>You hired Germans to build your rockets and used other European mathematicians to do the calculations.
Yes, and? America rarely does something completely on its own; instead, we take things others have done and embarrass them with how much better we do it.

Germans+Germans= blown up english fields
Russians+Germans= dead space dogs
Americans+Germans= subjugated moon people

>For example, if you want to construct a circle with a circumference of one mile, the radius will be 280 yards, or 840 feet, or 10080 inches.
Only if you don't care about accuracy. It's close, but wrong. 280 yards radius is 1759.2918860102842135390802946365..... yards in circumference. Close to a mile but not.

>One mile is 63360 inches. A half mile is 31680 inches. A quarter mile is 15840 inches. 1/8th of a mile is 7920 inches. 1/16th of a mile is 3960 inches. 1/32nd of a mile is 1980 inches. 1/64th of a mile is 990 inches. 1/128th of a mile is 495 inches.

1km is 1000m. Half a km is 500m or 0.5km. A quarter km is 250m or .25km. An 1/8th 125m 0.125km. 1/16th 62.5m.

Why would I ever care about 1/64th of a mile? 27.5 yards?

fpbp

>What is so special about a double cup?

You'll figure it out when you get older, son...

>What do you even use on calipers ? milli inches ? Totally retarded.

For machining if you use inches you use inches and decimal points.

0.1876 inches is as valid a measure as a metric equivalent.

No one in machining using fractions other than the most common, 1/2 1/4 3/4. It causes way too much confusion to start trying to do fractions for the measures needed.

>Only if you don't care about accuracy.

All real world measurement is an approximation.
Perfect accuracy is only theoretical.

Have you ever built anything?

Let me trigger everyone.
1 Gigabyte = 1 000 000 000 bytes

Fuck off WD.

>60
>cold

>USA calling others jewish
hmmmm

Actually a political prisoner and asylum seeker from the People's Republic of California.

Blame Mr. Kellog, not the jews.

>Slovenia
>South Korea
wtf

>No 28/29 for possible number of days

>Fahrenheit may be the best way to measure temperature after all. Why? Because most of us only care about air temperature, not water temperature.

>Think about it. When was the last time you used a thermometer to measure water temperature? It was probably in a high school or college level class. If you’re ever in need of boiling water (e.g., when it’s time to cook pasta), then you can usually determine that the water is boiling by just looking at it. The emanating steam and bubbles are a dead giveaway.

>However, things are a little more complicated when it comes to measuring ambient temperature.

>Celsius is great for measuring the temperature of water. However, we’re human beings who live on dry ground.

>This is one reason why Fahrenheit is superior.

Fahrenheit is also more precise. The ambient temperature on most of the inhabited world ranges from -20 degrees Fahrenheit to 110 degrees Fahrenheit—a 130-degree range. On the Celsius scale, that range is from -28.8 degrees to 43.3 degrees—a 72.1-degree range. This means that you can get a more exact measurement of the air temperature using Fahrenheit because it uses almost twice the scale.

>A precise reading of temperature is important to us because just a little variation can result in a level of discomfort. Most of us are people who are easily affected by even slight changes in the thermometer, and the Fahrenheit scale is more sensitive to those changes.

>Nevertheless, this doesn’t mean that scientists should stop using the Celsius scale, though.

>The metric system certainly has its merits as well. It’s easier to measure snow in centimeters or millimeters than to do so in inches, and offers the aforementioned advantage of precision. It’s also better to measure both distance and air pressure using the metric system, as opposed to pre-metric scales.

Month / Day / Year is far more logical.

The rest... it's what we're used to - why bother switching? We don't care what other nations use. If don't want to learn our scale - we don't care either.

Farenheit has smaller units, so there is more precision

Kek. Did Liberia ditched the imperial system?

they're switching for cocoa and coffe exports only
Myanmar also declared it will switch to SI at least for export products

>Month / Day / Year is far more logical.
HOW

It makes more sense regarding weather. At least to me anyway. 100 degrees is really hot and to most people (southern pussies) 0 degrees is really cold

Other than that I fully support metric. Chem student and I use it constantly anyway so why not

Yes, the fact that the Ogdoad Aeon/Archon members are who gave us the imperial system.
Metric is shit-tier human-devised retarded cancer.

BECAUSE FUCK KING GEORGE

THATS WHY

Because you don't say
>11th September, 2001
you say
>September 11th, 2001
fucking retarded non-country faggot.

I say
>le 11 septembre 2001
I don't say
>settembre le 11me 2001
Ameritard

then why 4th of July and not July the 4th?

Because it's THE 4th of July, not "4th of July" to designate it as a significant date separate from the boring mundane other dates that don't matter worth a fuck. The rest of the dates are spoken in the diminuative form "month date" to signify their mundaneness and not to devalue from the significance of INDEPENDENCE DAY.
>frenchkrauts into American culture
Don't you have an ISIS attack to die in?

>not using THE 11th of September as a date to remember
don't you have a school to be shot at?

we hate you

>September 11th is as significant a date as INDEPENDENCE DAY
Don't you have a bluewaffle to eating?

King George would be a gorgeous trap, I would touch his penis a lil bit desu

>implying it didn't change 'Murica forever
don't you have some doughnuts to choke on?

>small change is more significant than creation
Don't you have a non-effect on the world to be having?

>small change
>if we use the same date method it must mean it's now more important than the 4th of July
don't you have a ceasefire to not respect while blaming the Russians of everything wrong in Syria?

>retarded Burgers heartily defending their arbitrary, nonsensical system of measurement late at night
Really what you'd expect. You tards never let me down.

include me in the screen shot nigger

It would mean that actually, but I don't expect a non-debnts paying, non-country living, refugee welcoming yuropoor to be able to understand.
Additionally, there was nothing in the ceasefire about Deir Ez-Zor, the illegal bombing of SAA not only didn't break the ceasefire (al-nusra had already done that days before), but I'm not Samantha Powers. She's a nigger.
Kill yourself.

>the world is black and white only
what color are the chinks to your eyes, senpai?

>20- 80%

>false equivalence strawman
K..keep me posted.

youtube.com/watch?v=r7x-RGfd0Yk
>Americans unironically defend this
>Muh intuitivity

>false equivalence strawman again
K.. keep me bored.

This explains it:
All in all the name of the unit is irrelevant. The system still works.

The metric system is for communist cucks.
Stick to importing shitskins.

>implying communism hasn't been raped to death by capitalism already
just stick to importing metric system-user Joses, eventually you'll accept it

Jose uses imperial, actually.

Fpbp

One last thing. Many here say that Fahrenheit is better for weather. I'd argue that Celsius is superior, because it immediately tells whether there will be snow or rain, ice or just wet streets. And it also works for science, because the interval of one degree is the same as with Kelvin.

That took a long time for you to find off of knowyourmeme.com, fagwaffle.

oh wow
much impressed
so much bantz

>Many here say that Fahrenheit is better for weather. I'd argue that Celsius is superior

So what?
Water boils at 100c or 212f or 7314griblonacks.
It's still boiling water.

These threads are always
>muh Metric religion
>why u use stupid system
>it's current year

Base10 is handy, for many things.
Yet, computers still use Base2.

And nature fucks Base10 to shit.
Pi, phi, and 365.2425 days to a year fucks everything up.

All measurement systems are created by humans for humans, so just use the one that works best for the task at hand.

Name one thing, where your system is better than metric system.

99% of the world uses the metric system, the only 3 countries left in the world using it are Liberia, Myanmar and the US.
If you decide to go get a decent job in science or anything maths related, you need to learn the metric system. This is because of how fluid it is and it operates on a 10 base system. Its simply more logical.

>Name one thing, where your system is better than metric system.

"My" system?
All this shit was here long before I was born.

My socket set has both Imperial and Metric heads.
Stupid me, I just use the one that fits.

A furlong is 1/8th of a mile, or 660 feet.
A chain is 1/80th of a mile, or 66 feet.
An acre is one chain by one furlong.
A square mile is 640 acres.

How many properties are sold by the square kilometer?

>My land is exactly .3742 square kilometers
>Totally logical
>Get recked

Measure however you want, it's still the same area.

I use round numbers, you use decimals.
It's all the same. It's all humans trying to measure their surroundings.

"better" is a matter of perspective.

>your cock is only 6.5" yet mine is 16.51cm. My number is bigger!

And, now I understand why eurofags love metric so much.

south koreans are majority christian

>Its simply more logical.

I'm good with that, Bruce.
You convinced me.

How many metric days in a year?
How many metric hours in a day?
How many metric units in a Golden Rectangle?

The speed of light is 100 metric hours/kilometer, right?
Or, is it 1000 metric hours?

Land area is usually measured in hectares, which is 100m x 100m. A square kilometre is 1km x 1km, or 100 hectares. That's not more difficult to grasp than an acre (66 x 660ft).

Interior area is usually in square metres, which is very close to 10sqft. It's a lot easier to translate square metres to hectares than square feet or yards to acres

I read all of your comments and either you're a troll or just very, very stupid.

So 1 atm = (1kg.m/s2)/m2? What's the point of a fucking pascal then

also a kilogram is literally based o an old piece of iron

pls help i am confused

>just very, very stupid.

Explain to me again how the holy Metric System was handed down from the Gods, based on universal constants.

Explain how a kilobyte can be 1024 megabytes.

Remember that base2 is heresy against the Holy base10 system of measurement.

>That's not more difficult to grasp than an acre (66 x 660ft).

I completely agree.

Back to the point, why is it "better"?

Is it more accurate?
Is it tied to a universal constant? (when it was created, not a convenient retcon)
Or, as I suspect, is it just another random measurement imposed on a constantly expanding universe?

Keep in mind that one AU is now defined as exactly 149597870700 metres (about 150 million kilometres, or 93 million miles), nevermind that the Earth has an elliptical orbit.

And, nevermind that the distance from the Earth to the sun has fuckall to do with universal constants.

It's better, because Metric System!

I call bullshit.

You mixed megabytes and kilobytes.
Megabyte can be either 1024 or 1000 kilobytes depending on the context. 1024 kilobytes (or kibibytes) is actually called a mebibyte but people use the terms interchangeably. I don't even know, why you brought this up.

Some of the unit definitions in metric system are arbitrary but the point of the whole system is logical unit conversions. The power of ten exists to allow easy scaling. For example it's inconvenient to calculate the kinetic energy of a moving car using grams, so kilograms take a a few unnecessary decimals out of the equation. The calculation is still the same. The unit relations are what matter. In the US customary system they are all over the place.

Just use SI.

>You mixed megabytes and kilobytes.

Yep, I did.

>Some of the unit definitions in metric system are arbitrary

Some? ALL of the units are arbitrary.

Sure, they relate to each other nicely.
But, WTF do those units have to do with anything in the real world?

2.54cm = 1 inch

Why did you ignore the measurement for one AU?
Is 149597870700 metres too random to fit in a simple system?

Don't get me wrong, I love Phi.
I have 5 books written about one number. Yes, I'm a geek.

Proportions are universal. Common measurements are mostly random.

Men who have been blind since birth finding women with a 0.7 W/h ratio attractive is interesting to me.

Comparing 150 million kilometers to 93 million miles is silly.

Same distance, different numbers.
Superior? Better? It's the same distance.

Where does the chair end and your ass begin?

It's better that the units relate to each other and their definitions are arbitrary and not the other way around. The whole point of a unit system is to calculate, so the calculations should be made as simple as possible. Sure, you can measure things in inches, feet or pounds but the derived units and unit conversions are a mess.

This is why the astronomical unit exists:
>The metre is defined to be a unit of proper length, but the SI definition does not specify the metric tensor to be used in determining it. Indeed, the International Committee for Weights and Measures (CIPM) notes that "its definition applies only within a spatial extent sufficiently small that the effects of the non-uniformity of the gravitational field can be ignored". As such, the metre is undefined for the purposes of measuring distances within the Solar System.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astronomical_unit
I have a good hunch that astronomers wouldn't use it, if it wasn't useful.

I honestly believe you're not a geek.

The metric system is gay special snowflake French shit. Fuck France.

>It's better that the units relate to each other and their definitions are arbitrary and not the other way around.

You wut?

>I have a good hunch that astronomers wouldn't use it, if it wasn't useful.

Of course it's useful. It's the distance from our planet to the star it orbits.

How the fuck is that a measurement of anything else?

Yet even in God-given Metric units, it's arbitrary.

Sure, you could create a new system that denotes AU in base10 units, but how would that fit with everything else?

You could be French and create a new system of measurement 200 years ago, and then find that it fits nothing in the natural world.

What is a Metre? Is it one 10,000,000th of the distance from the equator to the North Pole?

That's what it started as.
Now, it's "the distance travelled by light in 1/299,792,458th of a second, in a vacuum".

Not random at all.
Why, I'm the distance travelled by light in 1/155,329,661th of a second in a vacuum tall!

How tall are you?

As far as I know, I haven't claimed that the metric units don't have arbitrary definitions but again, the whole point of the system is that the units have simple relations, easy conversions and easy scaling. AU is a derived unit, so don't get too hung up on it.

I'm done wasting my time. You just spout nonsensical gibberish at me all the time and discard all my arguments.

>Not using Rankine for everything

We drive on the right side of the road, use imperial measurements, use fahrenheit, use GAAP, our steering wheels are on the left, we're the most powerful nation in the world, and we have a multi billion dollar robot on mars.
When are you adopting fahrenheit, celsius boy?

Tbqh metric base 10 is just easier to convert. I understand the appeal and attachment of SAE though. But it's fucking garbage lol.

source: carpenterfag

Completely ignoring how much better the American system is for keeping track of records, how does that make any sense?
Months: 1-12
Days: 1-31
Years: A lot
I suppose you could argue how long it takes for each to pass, but then the records argument beats that.

You've got a point, yank. The Metre is completely arbitrary, just like the mile.

If only some wavelength in nature existed that was very close to 1m, they could tie the measurement to that.
>in before its the wavelength of a 1m/s wave at 1Hz

>americans are STILL defending using the length of various body parts of former rulers of another country as a measurement system
Speaking of that i'm surprised you didn't think of something like a cocklong, you could have used the length of king henry's dick as an average

how is it a special snowflake when almost everyone uses it?

The sin best thing ever is murrikan gage.
You measure diameter in how many fucking load balls of this size you can make outta a round of lead.
How dumb is that?

>How big is yor gun?
>12 mm
>Mine is as big as a lead ball which you can make if you divide a pound of lead into 20 equal parts and make perfect spheres of them.
Yeah, thats a great fucking measure.

When it's -20 you know shit is frozen.
Where freezing point even is at Fahrenheit?
-20 - frozen as fuck
0 - cool
20 - just perfect
30 - hot
40 - fucking kill me
Celsius is great.

Tear down imperial system.

>The sin best thing ever i
Fucking retarded auto-correct.
How the hell did "THE DUMBEST THING" turn into that?

>0 - cool

How do you even survive at that temperature, rossiya? Can you do it without chugging vodka?

12 inches to a foot improves divisibility. Same with 16 oz to a pound. Imperial volumetrics is almost ABSURDLY elegant; it's effectively a binary system with the tsp and its derivatives in place to solve the problem of divisibility by 3.

Base 2 (binary), base 12 and base 16 are all superior counting systems to base 10: 10 is a shitty number, and we only use it because it's the number of fingers we have.

Fun fact: the Germanic tribes counted in base 12 before contact with the Roman and later Arab counting systems corroded their culture. It's why we have odd words for "eleven" and "twelve" and it's why the "gross" unit of measurement (144) exists (it was effectively the Germanic 100: it's 12*12)

who else here lives on a 10 day week?

7 day week is *literally* jewish

We use hybrid too, mostly cause Americucks keep leaking in..

>So what?
>Water boils at 100c or 212f or 7314griblonacks.
>It's still boiling water.

It massively complicates all sorts of calculations.

1 literally of water = 1 kg = a cube 10xm by 10cm by 10cm.
A kilometer is exactly a thousand meters.

>Muh feets and inches
HOW MANY INCHES IN A MILE?
CAN YOU TELL WITHOUT LOOKING UP?
HOW MANY POUNDS IS A CUBIC FOOT OF WATER?
Metric system is perfect.

>water just freezing is cold
white men should be able to last for hours in that temperature with light winter clothes

>Centralized heating
>Brick and concrete house a that isolate heat
>Warm winter clothing
>Competent snow cleaners

Russians know how to deal with winter comfy

you mong this gets posted every time the metric/imperial thing comes up

>christians
>be obliged to circumsize
pick one

>So 1 atm = (1kg.m/s2)/m2?
1 atm = 101325(1kg.m/s2)/m2
>What's the point of a fucking pascal then
the point of the pascal is to write (1kg.m/s2)/m2 as a single unit instead of wrapping your head around the aforementioned equation every time
>also a kilogram is literally based o an old piece of iron
just to have a table standard, originally it was based upon 1 L of water but they found better to have a fiscal piece of iron as base instead of risking to have something influenceable by situation every time
they're working on a reference that's not dependent on the old piece of iron now (they're trying with an exact number of atoms I think)

Because its relatable and practical for real world experiences to joe average in day to day life and we are used to it, that's pretty much all there is to it.

Most people don't give a fuck that the metric measurements can be expressed in powers of ten becuase for the most part it adds nothing to their lives, they have no desire to go through the trouble of adopting a new system when the old one serves their purposes just fine and there is no significant personal reason to abandon it in everyday life, the distance light travels in a vacuum and whathave you means nothing to them.

When working within a system that requires the sort of easy unit conversions metric provide people just adopt the metric system for the purposes of that task without diminishing the familiarity the imperial system already holds for them.

>dividing years and feet differently..

shiggy