>>89570740

I really do have so little faith in this. We don't have a single working computer program that can take in, analyze, and acknowledge all the variables and information that goes into safely driving a car. We are talking about something we don't trust teenagers doing and yet we think we can write a program that would handle it better despite no such thing existing.

A driving car would basically need to be a highly intelligent self learning program. At best I could see this working on straight highways, but at that point it is just glorified cruise control.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4pbAI40dK0A
youtube.com/watch?v=qhUvQiKec2U
youtube.com/watch?v=9NqFWNvwSRM
recode.net/2016/8/18/12540068/uber-paid-680-million-for-self-driving-truck-company-otto-for-the-tech-not-the-trucks
youtube.com/watch?v=bK76W1kH4jA
whowhatwhy.org/2015/02/20/car-hacking-report-refuels-concerns-michael-hastings-crash/
youtube.com/watch?v=MK0SrxBC1xs
wired.com/2016/08/hackers-fool-tesla-ss-autopilot-hide-spoof-obstacles/
gizmodo.com/your-self-driving-car-will-be-programmed-to-kill-you-de-1782499265
electrek.co/2016/07/01/truck-driver-fatal-tesla-autopilot-crash-watching-movie/
theregister.co.uk/2016/09/07/tesla_model_s_crash_electrical_hazard_fire_brigade_netherlands/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>leaf education
it's already happening you fucking idiot

I'm not sure if you are aware of it but self-driving cars already exist, the most popular ones being from Tesla.

Also it would literally be a free lawsuit win against the auto companies everytime a self driving car hits something.
These companies would basically have to lobby the shit out of every government to strike a deal where they would be immune from lawsuits.

Yeah, no.

DUI fines, parking tickets, parking fees, speeding tickets, registration fees, court fees and fines.

The Government alone stands to lose a fortune to automated vehicles. There's no way they allow this to happen without working out how they still get their extra money from vehicles. That will take years on it's own.

Big business also has it's thumb in the pie: insurance, tires, oil changes, car washes, brake repair, glass repair and replacement, paint jobs, general maintenance, car stereos, dvd/blu-ray players and screens, camp and travel trailers; hell, even the companies who sell those PoS air fresheners.

They aren't going to give up that revenue without a fight.

Lawyers will have a lot to say about this as well, considering how many make a living off driving lawsuits and criminal cases.

Automated vehicles will start like the light rail experiments in our cities--overpriced, over-hyped pork projects that line some politician and his friend’s pockets.

When you call an automated taxi, it will arrive with graffiti, piss and sometimes shit on the floors and upholstery, garbage everywhere, and broken everything, just like any other public transportation niggers use.

Proponents claim that security cameras will catch the niggers doing that shit and they'll be sent to jail.

BULLSHIT. Those same proponents are the liberals who whine about too many niggers in prison right now for little things like burglary, armed robbery, home invasion, assault, rape, and murder. There's no way they'll allow their pets to be imprisoned for victimless crimes like destruction of property.

Add all this together with monumental infrastructure challenges like decentralized fleet charging stations and this won’t become a serious thing for decades, longer for rural areas.

fucking this

>Giving up your direct control of driving a car to a self driving computer
>Being this much of a cuck

Fuck off fags

Even tho I'm pretty sure that, this is just a leaf quality shitpost, I'm going to repley
>We are talking about something we don't trust teenagers doing and yet we think we can write a program that would handle it better despite no such thing existing.
>teenagers don't pay enough attention, and that's why we don't trust them. A softwares attention, however surprasses every adult.

>A driving car would basically need to be a highly intelligent self learning program. At best I could see this working on straight highways, but at that point it is just glorified cruise control.
>google car

Driverless cars. The perfect blame free way to kill political dissidents

>tfw trucker

Fuck it NEET life here I come

how many times are you going to post this retarded pasta

Driving a car is great for your confidence and is seen as a rite of passage, which is virtually nonexistent in the west now. What will a rite of passage look like in 2050?

Driverless cars are already happening, lobbying might slow it down but it's an inevitable evolution.

It will be a huge boon in safety, convenience and air quality.

youtube.com/watch?v=4pbAI40dK0A

Only ignoramuses who think they are better than computers are against it.

>oh my god you can walk without assistance??? what are you racist???

the only people who could possibly be against self driving cars are retarded neets that dont actually have a daily commute
my commute would be 100x faster and easier if fucking idiot drivers actually knew how to merge and change lanes without slowing traffic to a crawl

This would make assassination so easy.

Not just faster but also more enjoyable. Imagine catching that show you missed, browsing the news, or even squeezing in an extra thirty minutes of sleep.

This is a godsend technology.

Yessir exactly. I honestly don't know why people would be against this other than the economic issues that's will arise.

If I could sleep for 45 minutes on my way to work in the morning or be able to nap on 3 hour drives. Would be amazing. Plus It would be great to go into a scenic area I could actually look out the window instead of focusing on the road.

>thinking your employer won't just pile on extra work for you to do during your robocar commute

That's adorable. You're adorable.

>booming market
>literally just a bunch of venture capitalist scammers now that google has bailed on it

Leave it to the Obongo regime to embrace a dead ass meme like this so late in the game.

this bullshit is coming full circle. why invest in this before investing in good railways reeeeeee

transportation / driving jobs are 6-10% of the workforce

>mfw this kills the prole,
>proles revolt
>all new jobs in security to fight off the starving prole hordes

Workers are far more powerful than the capitalists. They will win in the end.

Fucking this. I can already see cock smokers at office jobs wanting you to have work done before you even hit the time clock.

I hope so, user.. I really do

>why invest in this before investing in good railways reeeeeee
because our road infrastructure is already here and doesn't need to be rebuilt for self driving cars

boom bust boom bust
>What investors and consumers want
Sit back and sleep/jerk off while your car drives 4 hours away
>What we're probably going to get
Highway-only autonomous driving that turns off in construction zones.

youtube.com/watch?v=qhUvQiKec2U

youtube.com/watch?v=9NqFWNvwSRM

also taxes and regulations out the ass

Its still highly flawed and IN BETA. Furthermore, Tesla hasn't even been doing anything particularly new, all the tech it uses has been worked in before

These cars are designed in a way that you can be murdered over the internet and the logs won't show anything went funny

So it's another way to make the populace dumb and lazy. Also the government and various Jewish run organizations are now in complete control of where you go.

>Big business also has it's thumb in the pie: insurance, tires, oil changes, car washes, brake repair, glass repair and replacement, paint jobs, general maintenance, car stereos, dvd/blu-ray players and screens, camp and travel trailers; hell, even the companies who sell
those PoS air fresheners.

Some of these things would be more useful and would sell more if cars drove themselves, and cars dont stop needing repairs just because they drive themselves

What in the everloving fuck

In first world countries we have self-driving cars already.

What's really annoying to me is that these vehicles will probably hardly notice motorcycles, and it will take many many deaths for a fix, if any.

Considering the fact that 90% of people are literally retarded and cannot operate a machine with three controls (four if you count the gear shifter), this would be a win for everyone. I can't count how many people cut in front of me, turn in front of me, tailgate me (mind you, I'm driving in the right lane), and even worse, the fucking left laners who sit there and go as slow as the people in the right lane so no one can pass. Fuck those people especially.

your car would need so much expensive electronic equipment to do this reliably and robustly. i wouldn't feel comfortable with this for a while

It is called dealing with reality.

the cars will be driving more not less, some people might just live on the road with their driverless RV taking them around the world

the money made by increased efficiency of cities and highways will far outweigh the money made from trivial court fees. After all of these fee based systems are dismantled the net increase will be immense.

Surprised to see a leaf being reasonable for once.

>Cred Forumsacks have it all figured out, folks!

just because your retard brain can't figure out a way to circumvent these things doesn't mean it can't be done.

like 4 cameras and a computer?

cameras? lol. try again.

Even if this worked perfectly why the fuck would you want it? It removes your freedom and you hve to trust your life to a comouter while you sleep. Are you that much of a lazy slob??

recode.net/2016/8/18/12540068/uber-paid-680-million-for-self-driving-truck-company-otto-for-the-tech-not-the-trucks

youtube.com/watch?v=bK76W1kH4jA

agreed

Yes and?

This is what national socalism is all about!

yikes well this is a good time to become a shut in

you normies have fun driving on the road with those 5 ton brain dead death machines

Any Politician who even MENTIONS this in public has a 0% chance of reelection.

It isn't going to happen, period.

just make left lane passing only and all your problems are fixed

That Nvidia car I posted earlier only has a high-MP commodity webcam for it's self-driving

I think it has a LiDar sensor but it isn't used, it's just for backup.

Fuck that expect automated government authorized killings for all you dumb fucks.

SW controlled by satellite? late on some debts? Pissed the wrong guy off? *GPS automated CRASH* ohhhhh it was the softywareware sowwy our technowogy screw up sometime :'( SOWWY

>2016
>leaving the house

it's like you guys are TRYING to see minorities

O really faggot? Been wacthin the news latell? Them cars have killed like 10 people already.

>can't drive car if servers are down
>can't drive car during natural disaster
>can't move if government declares you a harm to others
>locked down easily if your online posts somewhere hurt feelings
>suddenly car accelerates to 120mph on a backroads and raps around a tree
>oops glitch))))))

The self-driving car fad will die when someone loads one up with a few hundred pounds of high explosives and remotes the damn thing into the White House, or maybe just a local shopping mall.

A $35,000 self-driving car is basically a bargain-bin guided cruise missile. All it lacks is an easily-made warhead.

>captcha select all cars
Nice.

I wont say never but for sure not in the next 5-10 years, it is going to take longer than that.

you would absolutely need lidar

Thank God. 90% of the people on the streets shouldn't be allowed to drive. Me included probably. This way you just sign a subscription for a car that drives you to work and back home every weekday and if you need to drive somewhere else you can just order one for the trip. Will probably be also and lot cheaper than buying a car to have it stand around 23 hours of the day.

whowhatwhy.org/2015/02/20/car-hacking-report-refuels-concerns-michael-hastings-crash/

Already bin dun

This shit will take off in China. In America, we love our freedom. Driving is a freedom. It's the reason Americans were so eager to start driving. How about putting all that money into teleporter research?

Get fucked.

t. driver of slightly over 15 years with zero accidents

t. driver of classic car

t. someone who pays attention to the fucking road

t. someone who can tell the difference between the sky and a semi truck (Unlike the first Tesla autopilot crash).

Like cameras, some sort of proximity sensors like radar or sonar, and damn good algorithms to avoid running over the retard jaywalking through a busy street. I don't know enough to be certain whether anything else is needed. Apparently driving in less than ideal conditions like rain and snow really fucks with the self driving cars

Just look at what shit drones are turning, theres going to be endless ways to mess with people using self driving cars.

Except it can't do that at all. It follows a route coordinated by Google Maps. The only way the vehicle could go rogue was if the software glitched, which is highly unlikely.

things a driver can do
>see an accident coming
>steer out of the way to avoid accidents
>speed up to get through nigger neighborhoods quickly

things a driverless car can't do
>see an accident coming
>steer out of the way to avoid accidents
>speed up to get through nigger neighborhoods quickly

sucks, doesn't it? people ruin everything.

But they can do that now...

My brother died because a human was driving the vehicle he was in. I will always support autonomous cars. I will not fight it from fear that the tech will be abused by the government, I will instead fight the government from abusing it, this is the only non Luddite approach.

>highly flawed

>has vastly superior safety ratio compared to human drivers

>Driverless cars end up requiring some special thing to be on every single car to be able to function properly
>tamper with that thing on somebody's car
>they get slammed into by other cars
rip

>>fight the government from abusing it

good fucking luck.

ITT: Cred Forums refuses to understand how technological advancement works.

Is it run by a computer?
Yes.

Guess what that means...
It can be easily fooled by faked "official" numbers. Because computers are just machines with a program. Program it to drive into a shopping mall and blow people up and it'll do it with no hesitation or moral qualms or fear.

Brilliant and dirt-cheap WMD. The military spends millions to do this.

Thank. Fucking. Christ. Fuck human drivers foreal

>Lawyers will have a lot to say about this as well, considering how many make a living off driving lawsuits and criminal cases.

From the lawyer side of this shit, this is great. GREAT
G R E A T

When some drunk asshole hits somebody, you can sue the drunk asshole. He's probably broke, because he's some random drunk asshole.

But when a super amazing "intelligent" self-driving car runs over somebody, the sky is the limit. You can sue the person who owns the car, and he's probably some rich bastard with a fleet of 50 who has deep pockets that you can get your evil little lawyer hands into. You might be able to sue the rich bastards who built the car, who also have deep pockets.

This is one of the obstacles that self-driving vehicles face - blood sucking lawyers are going to LOVE this.

You don't know how this works at all.

>program cars to drive niggers into the ocean

just imagine...

>I will instead fight the government from abusing it, this is the only non Luddite approach.

good luck patching all those zero days in proprietary code from multiple car manufacturers you have no hope of getting access to.

Then when you say something bad about the .gov the NSA TAO hacks into your Prius and slams you into oncoming traffic.

Sometimes we aren't meant to develop certain technologies if our society can't keep up with it. That's all part of being a developer, if you were one then you'd know that.

I know you guys will hate this but I actually would enjoy not having to drive. Drink a beer while the car drives for me, smoke a joint, listen to some music, shitpost a bit.

I used to live in the city and there are so many shit drivers that tailgate and fuck up the flow of traffic that getting places would be way faster. Faster speed limits, better fuel economy, everything would be be more efficient.

There will always be a need for manual driving.. like camping and going innawoods, but I think the self-driving thing is going to be awesome. No more dealing with a lot of the bullshit associated with it anymore.

ideally, such a car would have several redundant sensors/systems and perform checks to ensure that they're working

>he thinks employers care how long you work rather than how efficiently you work

You probably work at mcdonald's. real jobs aren't like that

Roads needs to be constantly rebuilt and maintained. Rails last much longer with much less maintenance.

>putting your life in the hands of a computer

>never been in any form of accident
>only tickets have been from speeding
>could care less about driverless cars

>shithead friends that cant drive and have been through multiple cars due to accidents or just not taking care of them
>driverless cars are the most important thing ever, car culture is stupid and for hick retards

I drive a shitbox, but its my shitbox and i take care of it. driverless cars can go fuck themselves because they are made for absolute retards and the disabled

wired.com/2016/08/hackers-fool-tesla-ss-autopilot-hide-spoof-obstacles/

ITT: people who don't understand techonology

>I used to live in the city and there are so many shit drivers that tailgate and fuck up the flow of traffic that getting places would be way faster. Faster speed limits, better fuel economy, everything would be be more efficient.

This can _only_ be achieved when V2V and V2G communication is achieved on all vehicles, autonomous or not. The traffic grid needs to know the location of all cars at all times and all cars need to be able to communicate with the cars closest to themselves to keep everything safe.

This is at the very least 30-50 years out without massive government intervention and enforcement.

Ever fly on an airplane? Guess what, you've already had your life put in the hands of a computer.

>driving something you can't control

no thanks mates I'll stick to good old analog.

>in this post: a man who would sell his ass for a phone upgrade.

Autonomous vehicles make every driver Reginald Denny.

It's not going to catch on, it's just going to be a passing fade for upper-middle class city folk and urbanites, I can't wait for the uproar for any software updates and the problems they'll cause.

also, sorry about your brother.

You literally do that everyday , also

>doesn't trust computers to drive
>still trusts people whose only real requirement is being 17 and passing a 5 minute test

theyll take your guns, your cars, everything else, you will have no way to fight nor flight

>driving through bad neighborhood
>niggers run into the road and start surrounding your car
>start smashing your window and trying to get into the car and steal everything and probably kill you
>car stays still and lets this all happen cause theres a nigger standing in front of it

never gonna happen in your lifetime. Gotta make AI that's smarter and more capable than humans to replace the human driver.

>b-but you'll get to take control if you need to
alright imagine you're on the highway and the car in front of you loses a tire or loses control and swerves into a barrier bouncing back into the road while travelling over 60MPH. What's the driverless car going to do?
Smash into it?
Slam on the breaks, smashing into it?
Steer out of the way and around it?

Oh look at that we're in the city, 20mph speed limit. Oh shit a retard is crossing the sidewalk while you have a green light. What does the driverless car do? Does it barrel into the pedestrian, shattering their legs, potentially killing them? probably.

Visual recognition data for computers is nowhere near advanced or consolidated enough for this kind of tracking and alertness and knowledge of clearly visible road signs to a human driver.

it's yet another run-of-the-mill science-fiction chasing pipedream that is causing more problems than solutions, much like touchscreen smartphones and virtual reality headsets.

It's fuckin' meme-technology for only the most gullible.

>the entire global energy grid is computerized
>the entire global financial system is computerized
>the entire global agricultural distribution network is computerized
Your life has been firmly in the hands of computers since your birth.

Driverless cars can be relatively easily made to be more precise drivers than humans.

Imagine intersections that do not require stoplights, just alternated timing of speeds, so two lines of traffic thread between one another.

Imagine standing traffic waves (jams are caused by this very thing) being eliminated via collective speed algorithms.

Imagine tripling or even more of the average speed limits because of the increase in safety and precision.

No sir.

gizmodo.com/your-self-driving-car-will-be-programmed-to-kill-you-de-1782499265

don't be retarded

I'm against automating transportation at this point in time. We simply don't have the processing power or network/internet infrastructure or networking technology to make it safe.

Do you know how many lines of code are in the Mercedes Benz S-class? Somewhere around 100M. An F-35 probably has around 1-1.5M.

Which one is safer? The one built to standards to avoid priority inversion and is secure past EAL-4 or the one that lets you plug an SD card directly into it?

Technology has to be introduced intelligently and safely. If people want to work on self-driving cars then so be it, but they need to put work into more than just sensors and data-crunching for rudimentary obstacle avoidance. There needs to be communication and coordination between the devices and protocols need to be put in place before deployment.

>we should ignore tech that will save countless lives, increase travel efficiency by untold percentages and revolutionize our lives because muh feelings

So can I get hammered whilst my automated car is driving?

>Very few people know the technical details of or the amount of work that went into driverless cars on both software and hardware levels
>They feel like they're still entitled to have an opinion on it

Shit's not just something a bunch of interns threw together with some kinect cameras in a weekend. This stuff is seriously well made and is infinitely safer than any dumb human outside of any moral choices that may never come up.

It can see more, know more, react quicker and in all ways outperform a human when it comes to the act of driving - and it's not even a particularly mature technology yet.

It's the future and you should embrace it.

Or viable, outside of cities and into more rural areas where infrastructure is neglected and people can;t afford to buy a new care for no reason or don't see the need to do so.

>Shit's not just something a bunch of interns threw together with some kinect cameras in a weekend.
It's pretty damn close, it's the love child of some idealistic capitalists that think it's the next big thing because they've never left a big city.

>>we should ignore tech that will save countless lives

The only lives it'll save are lives that should not be.
I do not care nor want retards or shit drivers to be able to breathe my air.

Hopefully, people who actually choose to own these things will die pretty fast from ghosts in the machine.

How will it do any of that?

>It's pretty damn close

>i get to decide which lives are worth it because i'm the most important person in the universe :^)

Yeah but in reality you're a nobody and noone gives a shit what you think.

It drove right into the side of a semi at 70 mph, obliterating the entire car, "driver" and all. Because the car "thought" it would fit under the truck. These things can't drive straight without killing someone. They will never be able to predict human behavior

And thats the catch: humans are unpredictable. Either you make ALL cars self drive or NO cars self drive. We cannot co-exist. Multicarturalism is a scam

>It can see more, know more, react quicker and in all ways outperform a human when it comes to the act of driving - and it's not even a particularly mature technology yet.
And THEN, lol, it hits a patch of black ice while you're sipping a coffee in the passenger seat one cold night. And because it has no instinct, intelligence, or experience in handling that common situation, you fly off the side of the bridge.

To those of us who actually know driving, this shit looks very fucked up. To idiots who know fuck-all about driving, it seems promising.

>First it'll be the trucking industry, then your personal vehicle.

Things said by people who have either never worked or live in a city and work in a cuck cubicle.

Shipping is really the only way it's viable, or necessary really.

And what happens when a group of rowdy dindus figure out they can buy cheap Made-in-China lasers and blind your $100,000 Tesla from an overpass on the I-95?

The tech isn't there yet, not even close. Corner cases like nutonomy in Singapore work fine because it's low speed and serves a small well-laid out area. In the US it simply wouldn't work.

>Multicarturalism is a scam

Technically the cars _could_ predict human behavior if they were receiving data about wheel position and acceleration and correlated the directionality with beam-forming wireless mesh networks. It's possible for other cars to know what you're doing, but your car would have to have the technology retrofitted into it in order for it to work.

So in a way you're right, but it's a problem of technology more than it is a problem of human drivers and autonomous driving coexisting. This is the kind of shit that worries me.

>The tech isn't there yet, not even close.
Forget about the tech, what about the infrastructure?

It's best to ignore the low IQ arguments in this thread. Government just spoke. Turn in your keys meatbags.

The one possible delay for this technology was government and they are bending over for it.

See my other post here

We don't have either. America can't even keep its bridges and roads from falling apart and retards think we're going to have _safe_ self-driving cars in the next decade.

>[Citation Needed]
The things are designed to be cautious and law abiding at all times - the only flaw in the system is humans.

>Genuinely believing that autonomous car developers are stupid enough to completely ignore a common occurance in a car which involves little more than the loss of and inability to gain traction
Because there are currently no systems which are intelligent enough to measure and manage traction on even a wheel to wheel basis right?

Ya this is ridiculous. Im not saying its impossible, but this is decades away. SpaceX cant even launch rockets NASA was putting up regularly in the 60s and this nigga Elon wants to make self driving cars.

Doesn't surprise me with the rise of cell phones it would come to this. Too many fucking people incapable of ignoring the fucking thing while operating machinery.

People are horrible drivers. I agree with the government on this one.

Nigel, it drove into a semi at 70mph because it thought it could fit under it. Forget traction, it cant even go straight without Paul Walkering into an 18 wheeler

Between distribution centres and ports maybe, places where the cargo is standardised and the environment is fixed and controlled. Even then I bet the truck will still have a driver, he may just knock autopilot on when on the motorway but it won't be 50 tonnes rolling around unsupervised.

As for personal vehicles, could it tow? Could it reverse a trailer to let another vehicle pass on a tight lanes?

Low IQ illogical meatbag.
>America can't even keep its bridges and roads from falling apart and retards think we're going to have _safe_ self-driving cars in the next decade.
We have advanced smart phones and bridges that fail. They are not connected. The engineers and scientists working on self driving cars are not in charge of infrastructure repair and spending.

>[ C I T A T I O N N E E D E D ]

>Government just spoke. Turn in your keys meatbags.
And it'll speak again when a US district courthouse gets blown to smithereens when an enterprising terrorist decides to pack his self-driving wheeled cruise missile with 400lbs of ammonium nitrate or potassium chlorate.

"How could this have happened?" the news media will ask a dumbfounded public.

"Duh."

Shitbrain

The autonomous system used at that point in time isn't even part of Tesla's current development. It was outsourced and temporary.

It also came with clear instructions to keep your fucking hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.

electrek.co/2016/07/01/truck-driver-fatal-tesla-autopilot-crash-watching-movie/

I would never use a car again. Like I hope they understand that.

>DUI fines, parking tickets, parking fees, speeding tickets, registration fees, court fees and fines.
>The Government alone stands to lose a fortune to automated vehicles. There's no way they allow this to happen without working out how they still get their extra money from vehicles. That will take years on it's own.

Savings on government spending might be bigger than what government loses in fees and taxes.

>Big business also has it's thumb in the pie: insurance, tires, oil changes, car washes, brake repair, glass repair and replacement, paint jobs, general maintenance, car stereos, dvd/blu-ray players and screens, camp and travel trailers; hell, even the companies who sell those PoS air fresheners.

Only business that will lose here are repair and insurance.

So you admit the technology doesnt exist

They should be illegal.
I really hope every idiot that buys a driverless car gets their car hacked and they die because of it.
Multi billion dollar companies get hacked by neckbeards in their parent's basement or some dumb chink in china, what makes you think driverless cars aren't going to be able to be messed with from outside sources?

>implying they won't own all the self driving cars and rig them with AI cameras to know exactly what is going on with each one.

Why the fuck would anyone trust these things? They are literally being programed to value everyone but the driver.

The technology exists and is under development.

>know how to drive, yet don't have my license because of anxiety
>never left my home state
>this news kicks in

is it bad i've wanted this. i've been a mess literally because i have a fear of driving.

desu i'd like it if it were a hybrid- like you can drive it, but also leave it into the hands of computer.

>Autopilot
>Not even remotely close to a full autonomous system
>Legally required to maintain attention and control over the vehicle at all times
>Watching a DVD
>"THIS IS THE PROOF I NEEDED! AUTONOMOUS CARS KILL!"

Shit Tyrone, at least you tried though right?

>implying electronics can't be easily fooled
You're not this naive. You can't be. You post here FFS.

They aren't though.

The ethical programming fuckheads are just theorists.

Actual self-driving cars do not do suicidal actions after ethical calculations. They just attempt to drive as perfectly as possible, nothing else. If some fuck jumps in front, then some fuck is getting ran over.

Because the driver is in the safest place possible: inside the car.
By prioritizing the pedestrian's life it's minimizing risk as much as possible, you are a pedestrian too so it's not like it's prioritizing someone else's life over yours.

never happen.

reason. insurance

>electronics are easily fooled

Yeah this is why modern fighter jets don't bother with electrical systems or radar and instead rely on visual aiming and dead reckoning.

Or not.

shitbrains

>muh totally baseless claim is correct cuz hackers can just spoof the visuals of a road

>he thinks employers care how long you work rather than how efficiently you work

Bull shit, I'm a c++ programmer and I get my week's work done in 2 or 3 hours yet I'm still forced to sit at work for 8 hours a day 5 days a week unless I want to get fired.
I quit my two previous jobs for this reason and the third is the same, on top of the fact that I'm in a small city in Ohio where it takes them months to get one person to apply since no one wants to work in this city so you'd figure they would be a little better to me.

never happen.

reason: glass windows.

>makes as much sense as your shit post.

what's to stop from these things from being hacked

>Desktop software and hardware, exactly the same as autonomous cars

Another poorly informed low-IQ post.

Thanks Mustafa.

Is this similar to the auto-pilot they use in planes?

Nothing. They're computers and as such are vulnerable. And there is a lot of code be vulnerable (this before automation).

What's to stop a f-35 from being hacked? It's pretty much fly by wire too.

For one thing your car isn't going to be browsing sketchy porn sites or opening email attachments.

the same reason nobody has hacked my facebook

what is the fucking point?

What's to stop your honesty from being havked. What's to stop your credit card from being hacked. Right now?

Idiots. There is never anything we as Humans can do that won't have downsides or risks.

>Oh look at that we're in the city, 20mph speed limit. Oh shit a retard is crossing the sidewalk while you have a green light. What does the driverless car do? Does it barrel into the pedestrian, shattering their legs, potentially killing them? probably.
no.. it will stop, which will enable to nignogs to rape/murder/death you

How the fuck does facebook take over 60 million lines of code?

>Oh look at that we're in the city, 20mph speed limit. Oh shit a retard is crossing the sidewalk while you have a green light. What does the driverless car do? Does it barrel into the pedestrian, shattering their legs, potentially killing them? probably.
What if I'm in a town with a speed limit of 35mph and noone on the road for miles? Or noone obeying the speed limit.

You're a retard. Black ice has a different spectral signature than the surrounding road surface, and looks very different in infrared. Furthermore, these cars can process many more instructions than a human can, at a much higher rate. It is foolish to believe that automotive engineers would not come up with systems to detect, manage, and recover from poor roadway conditions.

Advertising algoyrithms.

***phone not honesty, wtf spellcheck.

They cant even make a PS4 that isnt completely defective for the first 6 months or a Samsung that doesnt burst into flames, but cars will magically drive themselves without a hitch.

What do you consider the last major technological breakthough?

too easy to cause a crash with a self driving car. no insurance company would cover it. How hard would it be to commit insurance fraud when you know a self driving car cannot avoid a collision if you wait until last second to pull in front of one?

Lol guessing the Advanced Military System was just ridiculously inefficiently written

Really? I'm pretty sure the Samsung phone I've had for years is just fine. Ooooh one version, the s7 explodes and now every Samsung ever made is the same. And my PS4 worked and is working just fine for the past year.

Things have risks and technology that's new isn't perfect. Hell technology that's old as shit isn't perfect.

the easiest way to kill someone, car hacking

>tfw i'm an auto body shop owner

I'll be in the line right with ya for those NEET bucks

I asked what the last major tech breakthrough was.

>
>We don't have either. America can't even keep its bridges and roads from falling apart and retards think we're going to have _safe_ self-driving cars in the next decade.
Ooh.. I taste a logical fallacy.

In what context? GPS was pretty damn impressive, but was mostly an amalgamation of previous technologies. Cold war and space-race era technologies drove tremendous amounts of innovation in hardening and miniaturization. In terms of sheer breakthroughs though, I'd probably say the transistor invention or the atomic bomb.

Here in asia we've had and are building fully automated railway systems. And we've been doing it since the 70s. Yeah, thats a railway and a roadway has more input to deal with. But if a bullet train from 1972 can safely deal with trackway conditions, such as ice, a modern automobile surely can.

And hell, there's already systems in place that detect ice related skids and automatically attempt to counteract them. Mercedes and Lexuses both have them. At the very simplest, traction control systems, which were invented in the late 70s.

The first iteration will probably be shit. But, in 10-25 years no one will think twice about it

How hard is it to commit insurance fraud now?

(Not very)

I swear to God you people are so stupid. Imagine if the ability to instantly whine about news had existed 100 years ago when the Wright brothers were making the first airplanes. All you faggots would talk about is the dangers and bad shit that could happen. Tons of people have died in airplane crashes and accidents since we've had them yet you cucks and everyone else still flies every fucking day now.

And thus highwaymen gain a new life.

you can bet the jews are behind this
they will gain a new business, new way to monitor people, and execute them

they will further infantilize the population and make them even more stupid and dependant on technology

>implying they won't still give you a DUI in your driverless vehicle

This desu
Being conservative should not equal primitivism
Running after every fad is stupid but this technology has huge potential
How many people are killed in Traffic accidents in the us each year? That number would drastically decrease, so far self-driving cars have a pretty gud record despite being still under development

Modern fighter jets ALWAYS have a pilot. Even drones require a pilot at the helm.

No, I'm no retard. I just know that TCS systems will always mistake black ice for wet surface.

You see, like I said, those of us who actually know how to drive know that these things are disasters waiting to happen.
Even if the system itself can become perfect in driving, it's still a computer, which means it is a slave to the numbers being fed to it.

Those numbers can be changed by the nefarious.
Government is stupid. It lacks foresight. Always has. That's why it has so many failings, especially in dynamic systems. I can bet you to tards making the decision to set rules for these lolcows-waiting-to-happen haven't even had the thought cross their minds about them being used as fucking cruise missiles. They're not forward-thinking enough to see the potential here for massive death.
Driverless tractor-trailers are even better!

You give gov goons and humanity too much credit.

Yeah I dont doubt it could happen eventually. I meant more along the lines of how long has it been since a major tech breakthrough?

Our late-stage capitalism is wrecking innovation. Why build dozens of billion dollar factories and trillions on R&D to make self driving cars when you can revamp the Chevy Malibu every 3 years and sell out of them with little to no risk or competition. Government has destroyed innovation through cronyism, Tesla being a prime example

Too easy to cause a crash with a drunk driving a car. YET insurance companies do cover it. It's easy to commit insurance fraud when you know a drunk driver can't avoid a collision if wait until last second to pull in front of one?

Not at all the same. Theres little to no need for cars that drive themselves, since we already have cars. There were no planes before Wright Brothers. Self driving cars are just unnecessary

That is bit misleading. High end car probably includes shit like operating systems for entertainment systems. While Boeing 787 for example includes only avionics software.

people will hack their cars to make them driveable again

then they will put sensors everyhere to check if the cars are hacked

people will fin ways to circumvent that

and thus a new drm and hacking war will begin

>Muh black ice
What are Temperature sensors

>Humans are just organisms, slaves to the sensual stimuli they are being Fed

Incorrect, especially because the Tesla isn't a self driving vehicle. Musk warned about this time and time again. These cars do not feature a lidar system capable of 360 3d imaging from multiple angles and effective gps coordination. Tesla's "self driving" is more of a toy than anything else, which is why it was turned off (see: prohibitively priced) for a long while.

In addition to this, you must read about how the driver's hands were on the wheel for the last 20 seconds before the crash. He was in full control, meaning it was 100% human error.

>Lol guessing the Advanced Military System was just ridiculously inefficiently written

If you mean infamous Future Combat System that got axed. Lots of drones involved with some autonomous and semi-autonomous operation. It was no where completed when it was cancelled and generally simply retarded program that didn't match real life military requirements.

>implying it won't just be windows xp running machinevision.exe

Stay deluded, Mohammed.

Infographics, always presenting shit that would be more clear as a list in retarded, space-wasting ways.

The same argument you're using for computers receiving data packets that can be intercepted and nefariously altered before being eventually received by their target, is an argument one can make about the Human mind and the reality we think we live in.

Consider the only method the Human brain has of interacting with the world is through its senses, and consider that those senses come from data packets being sent by photons and from sound waves. You only see the resulting data a photon gained from bouncing off an atom, not that atom itself. Who's to say something or someone couldn't alter that data packet in the photon before it hits your retina, changing the actual information into something else, causing you to see something besides what was actually there? Same with sound waves. It's entirely possible and we wouldn't have a clue if it was happening.

>I know literally nothing about technology
>Here's my opinion anyway

>What are Temperature sensors
Ineffective when cresting a hilled bridge or in many other places.

You'd know that if you had actually learned to drive, Fritz. Or should we call you Ahmed?

But there's a difference. It's piss-easy to influence a computer. Getting into the human mind is harder. A lot harder. And it always causes side effects that make it obvious the person under control is acting funky.

With a computer controlling a car, everything will be moving perfect until a set of coordinates is met, then all of a sudden BOOM.

Have a nice day.

there's no doubt those cars wil be "safer" than normal cars

sooner or later
it might take a few decades to iron out all the issues, and some people will die, and of course the lobbies will ensure those cases remain ignored
people will just have to deal with it and be beta testers of this new tech for a few decades
most of them will be safe
but with so many variables, and so many cars, there will be deaths, guaranteed

Nah. Fuck this.

I'm no technophobe, but I am a government-taking-my-rights-phobe, so fuck driverless cars.

>programmer

Yeah so like I said; real jobs. You're a code monkey who probably barely understands what he's doing and you'll probably be replaced in the next 5 years by a kenyan self-taught code monkey who will do your job for half your salary

How long before the Jews start driving dissidents off cliffs and bridges?

We all saw what happened to Michael Hastings. Imagine what they could do on a much wider scale.

And you would have been able to avoid the ice the camera couldnt see coming because it was visually obscured? How?

You know, accusations like that are funny coming from an American who probably thinks the gear Stick is for practising his handjobs

>60%
>And falling :^)

>And you would have been able to avoid the ice the camera couldnt see coming because it was visually obscured? How?

Because I have experience and the ability to think ahead, and thus know a crested bridge in winter may have black ice and thus I would drive safely beforehand.

Very simple concept.
The only unsafe drivers on the road are people who shouldn't have licenses to begin with.
Instead of using automated systems, let's stop letting morons drive, and teach better driving to others.

If you knew how easy it is to get a license here in the US, you'd understand why our drivers are shit. Think about it. Parallel parking is considered the hardest part of the test. I was parallel parking tractors via stick-shift, double brakes, and inside of fucking barns, when I was 9.

>can't even use relevant images

Go back to chasing Chantelle, Muhammed.

You'd be suprised how easy things like experience can be emulated by a Computer

Christ, most gps receivers can tell if you're going over the Limit since they have access to a street database
Roads prone to Ice could be traversed more carefully when there has been snowfall or it was below Zero recently, just pull some weather Data

Will it be perfect? No, excellent drivers will probably outperform Machines in certain Situations. Then again this is a fringe case and most drivers are fucktards, even here where getting your permit requires at least 14 hours of theoretical course work, usually 28 hours of supervised driving as well as a theoretical and a practical test

Also keep in mind that the ability to take control of the Car yourself at a moment's notice won't go away in the foreseeable future

Look bud, the answer to bad drivers is not driverless cars.
The answer to bad drivers is-
1. Carpooling
2. Cabs
3. Buses
4. Bicycles

People are easy to predict. CPUs are not. Especially when you'll have a dozen competing algorithms out there.

Also, who pays when your CPU fucks the pooch? You? Car company? AI-developer? Road designer? Where do I take my insurance claim?
Right now it's simple: The other driver.

I was once almost killed by a gps becacuse it told me to take a street the wrong way.
Yeah once I saw the other cars actually driving towards me, not with me, the mistake became obvious.
Thanks google.

>1. Carpooling
Decreased Flexibility, but sure
Really only viable in large enough cities but that's where to majority of Traffic Problems are anyway
>2. Cabs
Eh, trusting an Achmed with your live instead of your Car? Not sure i like that better. I've known enough Cab drivers to know many of them are fucking imbeciles despite driving for a living
Too costly for the daily commute anyway
>3. Buses
That's communist
But for serious, all these innovations in urban transportation, no matter how viable, are a reaction to the public transportation being so shitty
Needs massive Investment
>4. Bicycles
Now you're just fucking with me

Oh i forgot

>Dozen competing algorithms
There is such a thing as standardization

>Who pays
Well that depends on what fucked doesn't it

>Well that depends on what fucked doesn't it
No, because every company involved is going to take the "it wasn't us" road leading to huge wastes of time being fought in court while the injured waits for a settlement.

Right now, the driver is the center of responsibility in a crash in the majority of crashes.

I don't hate technology. I love technology. I hate seeing tech being misused. There are far more problems with this shit than solutions.
As long as the shit is kept in cities I care little because I rarely go near those containment centers for the moronic.

But if their fucking robocars do any of the following-
•cause my insurance costs to rise
•tailgate me or cut me off
•enable more laziness amongst the already terrifically lazy population
-then we are gonna have problems.

And I'll NEVER own one. I'll be god damned if anyone takes the wheel from my hand. Man and machine go hand-in-hand with one another, like a man and his horse, or his dog. Folks that can't grasp this need to GTFO of civilized society.

>People are easy to predict. CPUs are not.

Are you fucking retarded?

What are innocent passengers and innocent victims of traffic accidents?

I dunno mang, driving is one of the few enjoyable things in my life and I'm not giving it up ever.

>What are innocent passengers and innocent victims of traffic accidents?
Morons riding with morons, and morons not paying attention, respectively.
Both cases are easily solved by raising the standards to get a DL.

I'm dead serious. People by and large act the same because person A does not work on a different brand of adrenaline than person B.
With CPUs in cars, you have wide variations between manufacturers.

'self driving' cars now are essentially just adaptive cruise control with lane assist, they can't read signs, they can't respond to traffic intelligently, they cant operate on roads that are not highways or freshly marked straight roads, they can't join or leave busy roads across traffic

This isn't going to happen for a very very long time. They're be one serious accident, and no one will want anything to do with driverless cars, and they'll have to back them out.

If it works, then he's right.

>First it'll be the trucking industry

Good riddance. Those things are disproportionately involved in fatal accidents. Exhausted, drugged up motherfuckers in hurling huge machines down the road at 70 miles per hour = trouble. I'd be all for anything that could provide a safer alternative. Not to mention that the industry is constantly understaffed, anyways. You'd still want an operator, but perhaps people would be more willing to get in the truck if it didn't demand constant focus.

And admit it, it would be great to be able to play videogames while going from place to place instead of having to drive through traffic.

I also don't think that the public would allow them to disable manual driving, whether it's the government or the manufacturers. There are too many legitimate safety concerns, people do like to drive, and there would be questions of liberty.

>they can't respond to traffic intelligently
>they can't join or leave busy roads across traffic

If they were going to implement this, the first step would be to make sure that every vehicle is legally required to be equipped with the system. Then they'd want to wait a few years. With that in place, you could tell where other cars are and how they're moving by the signals that they send out.

>they can't read signs

Have you ever used a GPS?

> they cant operate on roads that are not highways or freshly marked straight roads

They'd be concerned with solving this issue if they were going to implement self-driving. It'd definitely become a top priority to get the new road ready for the system before it was even ready for the drivers, and parking lots would be mapped.

Tesla already killed a guy where it couldn't figure out there was a trailer in front, it thought it was part of the sky or something.

The US government is enthusiastic about driverless cars because with driver car tech, then they could track the cars metadata, and essentially know where you are..And Im sure government agencies are developing tools that could allow the FEDs and NSA to control a driverless car,

Teslaslaughter must stop !

theregister.co.uk/2016/09/07/tesla_model_s_crash_electrical_hazard_fire_brigade_netherlands/

I don't want driverless cars to become a thing, I like driving. And anyway if trust my own skills over a computer program any day.

But do you trust the driving skills of the drunk idiot over a computer? What about the tired truck driver who's plowing through the divider and straight into your line of traffic?

>I don't want driverless cars to become a thing, I like driving.

I don't think that this would ever result in no option to drive manually. It would present too many safety hazards and too many concerns about liberty. And like you said, many people do it for fun.

We trust programs to fly planes and control nuclear reactors.

When it comes to specific tasks, computers can be much more capable than squishy human brains already.

>A driving car would basically need to be a highly intelligent self learning program.

We let every fucking moron who cannot even spell their name correctly drive cars and you think we don't have programs capable of performing that task?

Such a weak argument because they already kill political dissidents with impunity and no one gives a shit.

>Earlier today [dissident] committed suicide by shooting himself in the back 9 times. And now the weather

Ironically, it is probably those very same retarded people who are staunchly convinced that no program could ever match their driving skills.

>>Legally required to maintain attention and control over the vehicle at all times
why do u think that is?

Leafs are dumber than niggers