In 405 BC Aristophanes wrote the official comedic play of Cred Forums

In this classic work, the Greek god Dionysus decides that Athenian tragic poetry sucks, and he has to Make Athens Great Again. Dionysus is a chaotic god of wine and grapes, and also of ritual insanity and ecstasy. He is a very Old God, worshiped at least as far back as the Mycenaeans and Minoans.

Accompanying him is his slave Xanthias, with whom he always sharing bants, and whom is on the receiving end of Dionysus' constant schemes. Dionysus dresses up in a Lion Skin to go ask his brother Hercules for advice on how to get to Hades and bring Euripides back to life, so there can be a decent poet around again.

On the way there they are accompanied by a chanting group of Frogs, who serve as the chorus of the play. The Repeating refrain of the Frogs is "Brekekekex, ko-ax, ko-ax".

So far, we have an old, chaotic god who wants to MAGA. He wears the mantle of a Lion. There is a chorus of Frogs. Their chanting evokes both Kek and Brexit. There's more.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=GkbMQILr25Q
youtube.com/watch?v=TCbZrQA4ugs
youtu.be/JiGzyFjhxLY
youtu.be/RkxuPxdsZ58
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Frogs
youtube.com/watch?v=5nzRd1Il59w
youtu.be/yYYQIn_sC-4?t=13m35s
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Frogs_Who_Desired_a_King
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

m.youtube.com/watch?v=GkbMQILr25Q

Listen the hook of this song

Dionysus and Xanthias get into Hades with Charon's help. There are some folks who are mad at him, mistaking him for Hercules, and try to stump him. Dionysus isn't stumped (he keeps trading clothes with Xanthias, who is actually a total bro as he's a much harder worker and more brave than Dionysus to be honest). Dionysus reveals his true identity though, and goes further along on his journey.

Euripides is having a contest with another poet, Aeschylus, to decide who is the best tragic poet. Dionysus ends up judging. Euripides thinks his poetry is better because it is more realistic, and Aeschylus argues back that his work gives people a better model for virtue.

The two argue back and forth and Dionysus has a hard time deciding. He eventually does, though, and picks Aeschylus. He basically tells Euripides to go get rekt too, because he suggests to Hades that Sophocles should be given the empty seat at the underworld god's table instead.

Eurpides is modernity, Aeschylus is old fashioned virtue.

Gonna quote from Wikipedia a little:

>The parodos contains a paradigmatic example of how in Greek culture obscenity could be included in celebrations related to the gods.

This is pure Cred Forums

Is that Turkish song ?

bro, get a fucking life. you're spending too much time on nonsenical bullshit

> He finally decides to take the poet who gives the best advice about how to save the city. Euripides gives cleverly worded but essentially meaningless answers while Aeschylus provides more practical advice, and Dionysus decides to take Aeschylus back instead of Euripides.

That's funny because in a traditional dance here in Sweden we ''act'' like frogs and dance around the Christmas tree or Midsummer pole and chant the same thing

youtube.com/watch?v=TCbZrQA4ugs (0:30)

meme magic in disguise?

Kek love it

I just don't know you guys. Aeschylus is so inarticulate.

Part of the advice Aeschylus gives for saving the city is giving rights back to the original citizens.

Many interpret the play as hinting at Alcibiades, the Athenian leader who was rejected for his alleged impiety.

Sweden confirmed to be the first one to have a civil war

Nope but sure this is pure aussie original song™
youtu.be/JiGzyFjhxLY

Keep in mind the play was written when Athens was getting BTFO in the Peloponnesian war. The city was in dire straits and everyone was worried about how to turn things around.

Quoting from Wikipedia again:

>Kenneth Dover claims that the underlying political theme of The Frogs is essentially “old ways good, new ways bad”.[3] He points to the parabasis for proof of this: “The antepirrhema of the parabasis (718–37) urges the citizen-body to reject the leadership of those whom it now follows, upstarts of foreign parentage (730–2), and turn back to men of known integrity who were brought up in the style of noble and wealthy families” (Dover 33). Kleophon is mentioned in the ode of the parabasis (674–85), and is both “vilified as a foreigner” (680–2) and maligned at the end of the play (1504, 1532).

The political background of the play is a call to return to old-fashioned virtue and leadership, and to resist the advice of those whose loyalty is in question.

The obvious parallel to today is the more globalist elite and the resistance to it by a more nationalist political bent.

Good shit OP.
Have an uncommon.

>Bρεkεkέξ, βρεkεkέξ,
>βρεkεkέξ kουάξ-kουάξ!

>Bρεkεkέξ

>kεkέξ,

Awesome

Posting in a quality thread

>ITT: 15 year olds and manchildren who claim to love white civilization and culture learn about "The Frogs" for the first time ever

Exactly they are repeating refrain of the Frogs" Brekekekex, ko-ax, ko-ax" like Aristophane's description.

Best thread in ages.

I have to leave now, but to summarize the themes:

Athens (America) needs to be Made Great Again. This can be done by going back to its roots, reasserting the traditional ideals of the nation-state and real citizenship (represented by Aeschylus) in the face of more post-national, globalist goals (represented by Euripides).

Dionysus is the one searching for the solution. He is kind of a contradiction, as he tries to look like his total Alpha brother Hercules but is also mocked for his nu-male feminine traits. Nonetheless, he is trying. The situation may call for a leader who, like Alcibiades, is rejected by the elite class for his impious behavior and style.

There's lots of obscene humor and bantz and frogs and lions.

I figured there were some classics geek type folks on here besides myself who might appreciate this, it has been stewing around in my head the last few hours.

The why is it on page fucking 5 with less than 30 posts?

This is why I hate Cred Forums. They preach and preach and preach, then when you actually validate what they say, they are nowhere to be seen.

>Their chanting evokes both Kek and Brexit
how's your autism going?

There are more parallels that I'm out of time for, try to find them. For example, the ecstatic "IT'S HAPPENING" orgies of posts are rather Dionysian, in my opinion.

This is all for fun. I thought the French were supposed to enjoy life instead of walking around with clenched assholes all the time like us Americans.

Brekekex Brekekex Ko-ax Ko-ax

Praise!

I'm screenshot ring to do my own research, I love how deep this keeps going.

top tier autism here

i'm loving it tho

>praise kek

Will Kek remain after Trump's victory or will he fade out of our thoughts?

>implying a millennium old deity will disappear the moment its prophet will rule the earth

Entire courses will be taught on meme magic during from election. Kek will live on in (((history))) books and Marxist classrooms.

Hm, you're right: cream should float to the top.

youtu.be/RkxuPxdsZ58
Try the monkey chant on for size

b-but m-muh debts!

No. Kek will leave but he will return in ten years exactly to bring us the greatest happening we will ever witness in the history of humanity.

I think its funny our fake religion is now taking on the old elites fake religion

We learned from scientology didn't we. Dont dilute to quick. Dont be a target

Polytheism is superior in every way to Monotheism.

Come at me fags.

So what's the name of the play?

you'll dig it: The Frogs by Aristophanes

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Frogs

Aristophanes is also the guy that wrote the play about women taking over Athens and basically making it communistic with some body positivity thrown in there for good measures.

I think he was one of Kek's prophets.

Dionysus also got fucked by Portugal

Rightly so, you busybody.
the Muses of the fine lyre love us
And so does horn-crested Pan, playing his reed pipe.
And the harpist Apollo delights in us as well,
On account of the reed, which as a bridge for his lyre
I nourish in the water of the pond.

Brekekekex ko-ax ko-ax.

>a moon crest

it isn't that horrific unlike the abo, at least there is some order.

>being this new

Pretty embarrassing.

This, stop interrupting my spamming of Hillary memes with your bullshit OP.

why isn't it?

Yeah, but that's making fun of the French.

youtube.com/watch?v=5nzRd1Il59w

Interesting thread, OP. Have a bump.

Glad you all liked it. It satisfied my boredom for a while, at the very least.

This

Didn't even realize I got a triple dubs

This reminds me of Aristophanes' The Frogs

Ding ding ding!

you faggots need to read some more fucking books if you've never heard of dionysus or "the frogs" or the perhaps more popular "the bacchus"

then you can read how nietzsche interprets the whole shebang 2300 years later in "the birth of tragedy"

Is it a well-known nursery rhyme in Greece? I thought it was just a huge coincidence.

>you faggots need to read some more fucking books if you've never heard of dionysus or "the frogs" or the perhaps more popular "the bacchus"

Aristophanes has some hilarious plays. Full of dick jokes.

The Bacchae is pretty messed up.

Thank you for mentioning this, I vaguely recall this being brought up on Cred Forums lately. It was one of the things that got me thinking about The Frogs.

youtu.be/yYYQIn_sC-4?t=13m35s

13:35

kek will be wordfiltered, his first pantheon follower will be what it filers to

>Aristophanes

Is he "our guy"?

hail eris boys

I love it

Holy FPBP, Batman

Name of this symbol?

This is some mighty fine coincidence btw

Rust was right, time is a flar circle. What was is what will be, what has been done is what will be done, and there is nothing new under the sun.

Flat*

holy shit

kek, women never change, that guy speaks the truth in his based scenario

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Frogs_Who_Desired_a_King

You're playing with fire, Cred Forums...

The difference here is that half of Cred Forums welcomes global destruction in the form of the Happening juat as much as the other half desires salvation (some overlap exists between the two).

by the way the name Xanthias means ''Blonde'' or ''Fair Hair'' ;-)

Dead trees need to be cleared by forest fires so new saplings can take root and thrive.
Restoration comes from destruction.

He knew.

Did he write any more based stuff?

>mfw I've seen this play on an actual ancient Greek theater

>Then I saw three impure spirits that looked like frogs; they came out of the mouth of the dragon, out of the mouth of the beast and out of the mouth of the false prophet. - Revelation 16:13

Why do Christfags hate memes?

1. Savior
2. Destruction
3. Jew World Order

Fuck the current direction

Although I do enjoy Aristaphanes, I think The Clouds is a better play. The Greek is far more clever as well. Good use of puns and accentation. Random side fact, Aristaphanes of Byzantine invented Greek written accenting!

Source: Classics grad student for some reason... kill me

Why didn't we listen?

Saved btw.

Clouds is literally about a bunch of plebbiters at Socrates's Academy go on and on about how enlightened they are to be a "philosopher athiest" and the main character joins only because Socrates agrees to teach him how to jew his way out of shekels. It's hilarious, they even burn down the plebbit school in the end because it was full of fedoras

We did, for 2,300 years