Do people in the countryside cultivate vegetables / keep animals in their households in your country?

Do people in the countryside cultivate vegetables / keep animals in their households in your country?
Here it is considered abnormal not to have a vegetable garden and a few fruit bearing trees at least.

Other urls found in this thread:

abcnews.go.com/US/vegetable-garden-brings-criminal-charges-oak-park-michigan/story?id=14047214
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I wish. Most people over here treat the Supermarket like it's an extension of their refidgerator.

If shit ever hits the fan, and the shipping and receiving industry shits itself, most of us will starve to death in 3mons.

I own a pear orchard, A peach tree, an apricot tree, two cherry trees, three apple trees and a vegetable garden.

But I do live in utah so.

Yes. I live in New Hampshire and pretty much everyone here grows a garden to eat from and/or has fruit trees. Hunting is also very popular and wild apples and blue berries are abundant.

No, and if the economy and financial system breaks down, most people are fucked.

I live in a city and it's normal to see a garden in the yard, or at least like a tomato plant in a bucket or something. Some people grow lots of things on the roof.

Animals are rare, but once in a while you'll see people keeping a few chickens.

Not the norm. Should be though.

I own a hazelnut orchard, but I have a row of Apple trees and a pear tree.

I also have a garden, tomatoes, roots, cabbage, and herbs mostly. Also blueberries along the fence

Same

Pretty normal around here.

More and more people here are moving into the big cities. Small apartments in tall buildings. So they don't even have a field of grass.

My parents just moved out into the middle of nowhere, though. They have a lot of fruit trees and berry bushes. Pretty cool, but takes a lot of work to properly maintain.

Everyone here, grandparents have the best ones.

In Finland we have puukko which we either use to kill some asshole or hunt bears with spears with puukkos as tips of the spears and then take the bear fur and wear it... Its ok I guess tho you gotta be the man for yourself up here

Cool thing about gardens, even city dwellers can grow some herbs or tomato plants on patio or in a windowsill. Except New Zealand, who would be arrested and jailed. :^D

The average vegetable garden here isn't nearly big enough to feed a family on its own, but it allows low-income families to save money and to eat stuff they wouldn't be able to afford normally.
Like holy fuck I didn't realize what a delicacy raspberries and hazelnuts are until I moved out of my parents' place.

Plus homegrown usually means better quality - again, as a country boy I was surprised how tasteless store-bought tomatoes and how small store-bought eggs are.

Best analogy I've heard for tomatoes from the store is "wet styrofoam." I could not grow such awful tomatoes if I tried. Hence that's a really popular thing to grow at home. (Also really easy.)

Some people do but most consider it a hobby.

Yeah, everyone prety much has a garden where I live and for those who don't have the land there are share cropping comunes and such.

Tennesseefag here.

I'd guess that maybe one in 10 households grow something, but it's usually pretty minimal. I've been getting more into it myself, and have been spreading it by giving neighbors the odd plant or two.

I keep a seed bank in my refrigerator that would cover all my long-term needs indefinitely (100 or so staple crops, all heirloom and open-pollinated, enough to plant roughly 8 continuous acres). I also keep enough non-perishable food to last at least 6 months if need be.

I mainly focus on things I really like, like strawberries and peppers. If people knew what they're missing with certain store-bought foods, it would spark a gardening revolution. The difference between a tomato that was picked green, artificially ripened and then refrigerated -- and one that was picked fully ripe and never refrigerated is MASSIVE.

/k/omando or just prepper?

Both. Growing up in southern Appalachia, the prepper/survivalist mentality is just a part of the culture. It's insane to me that so many people are comfortable living on an incredible fragile system of life-support with zero contingencies.

Because they pick the tomatoes green before they go to the store to make them last longer. They still turn red. But that's because they're rotting. Red on the vine means more sugar in the fruit.

Gardening is good for the soul.

Very common out here, a lot of people are getting into chickens and even goats. But not strange if someone doesn't because a lot of the people out here split their time somewhere else.

This too. It calms me when the redpills are too strong.

This,
Home grown is so much better, I don't have a lot of space but do what I can
Portland fag.

If I pick my tomatoes when they're green, then they're still delicious. And if I leave them out until they start to rot, they're still delicious. I swear the ones in the store are some kind of Jew plot.

Oh well. The real moral of the story is that tomatoes are easy to grow and if everybody gave it a shot we'd all have more decent tomatoes than we'd know what to do with.

i have a pear tree and my backyard is half a mile of innawoods. i grow all kinds of peppers, onions, potatoes in the summer (the animals eat everything else i try to grow), and pumpkin and other types of squash during season such as this. I don't even have to try that hard to maintain it.
this is in connecticut. I don't have a gun permit but i shoot deer from my bedroom window with a bow when i need meat

I have grapes and tangerines
I also grow tomatoes

store bought tomatoes are usually cultivars that last longer. same with strawberries. the more aroma they have the shorter the time until they rot.

royal class of strawberry taste are the kind you pick in the woods but you should hurry up to eat them.

It's probably illegal in the US to grow food because it hurts commercial interests.

doood picking wild berries from the woods is amazing. Had wild blackberries, cherries, boysenberries and blueberries randomly growing in the back yard and they were awesome.

It's too bad fruit trees take so long to grow. My grandpa once carelessly chucked a peach pit into the weeds and then years later he was unexpectedly getting dank fresh peaches.

no

not so much, usually a few tomato or pepper plants.
growing your own food is seen as a thing for old people or hippies to do.
if people have a garden it is more for ornamental plants.

I have a gigantic garden.

abcnews.go.com/US/vegetable-garden-brings-criminal-charges-oak-park-michigan/story?id=14047214

Maybe you are a hardened criminal and don't even know it.

>not having an industrial size vegetable/fruit/chicken farm or a grandma who has one

I went for a walk the other day and it turns out this one house down the street has what at first looks like a really clever and picturesque ornamental garden consuming the front yard. Then you get close and you realize it's almost entirely vegetables, but just very carefully and tastefully arranged with a few flowers and shrubs for effect. Whoever lives there is living a bit of the dream.

Home gardening is a huge industry.

It's a big country. some parts have dumb rules. Don't live in a township

>violating some local ordinance in some shitty town I don't care about
wow its nothing

they must have a lot of spare time or an artistic gardener?

What a horrible place, you mean you can end up in a wholly different jurisdiction just by taking a few steps?

fruit trees take up a lot of room, user
and if you have to choose between having enough to eat or having enough to drink, it's obvious which one i'll pick

Abnormal? Not anymore IMHO. Even in the countryside you see increasingly less people having a vegetable garden or keeping animals for food. When I was young everyone in my grandparents village had chicken and pigs, some even cows - but hardly anyone does it any longer. Aldi, Tesco etc. is cheap it simply doesn't worth it anymore.

Somewhat normal where i'm from, plenty of greenhouses etc, even in semi-rural places where people don't own much of their own land theres allotments that you can rent. Usually 250 sqm for £30-80 a year depending on where you are.

Yes
How is this a bad thing?
It allows people to live with like minded individuals

Because it gets you ending up in jail very quickly if you leave your house and accidentally end up in a sharia zone or something like that.

July 12, 2011.

So what happened?

Why would I go into a sharia zone?
Also states can strike down local laws if they dont like them.

you get warnings, then fines, then jail if you refuse to pay the fine. In the link you posted the lady knows her garden violates the rules, she has chosen to fight it in court. that's the only reason she is risking jail.

Nevermind. All charges dismissed. Still has her garden today.

You can already get stuffed in jail for all sorts of arbitrary reasons. Like if your girlfriend calls in a fake rape complaint or something they might come bash down your door and throw you in jail until you buy enough lawyers to sort it out.

Most local ordinances and stuff just make your life hell and economically force you to behave or leave if you wind up pissing off the wrong people.

You wouldn't want that, that's why I wrote "accidentally".

Austria, you're really projecting hard. Our zoning laws are a lot less strict than yours and your muslim problem is out of control.

Yes if you are lucky enough to have space for a garden, but you can keep chickens in small spaces, I keep two for two eggs a day, and I have a small garden on the terrace to grow tomatoes for salsa

I have a pomegranate tree, so there's that

would you be okay with sharia zones existing if the vast majority of locals agreed to it?

There is no Muslim problem outside of Vienna.
>second lowest homicide rate in Europe after Iceland
>totally out of control
Yeah, sure.

>In the link you posted the lady knows her garden violates the rules

>Radner also pointed to an exception listed in the city ordinance that specifically allows vegetable gardens: "Exempted from the provisions of this article, inclusive, are flower gardens, plots of shrubbery, vegetable gardens and small grain plots."

And then this

>outside of our largest city there's not muslim problem

I am not ok with muslims in the country.
How do I accidentally end up in places?

I've got the weed XD

There's a bit of a difference here. We have for instance Amish communities, and they do things by their own rules, but those rules pretty much fit within our laws and they don't bother anybody.

So if we had a muslim zone and they started doing muslim things without bothering anybody, then we wouldn't really have to care. But if they started going full sharia, then there would be legal recourse to make them stop because when you go full sharia then you wind up violating our real laws.

I should add that even though I dont want them here I dont really care if they have sharia in their neighborhoods because I have no intention of ever entering one

Damn you guys make me want to start a garden. Hopefully I get my own house with a yard one day. Or move to another country where that is easier

The scary part is though that they're quietly importing and planting them around. I knew there was some kind of muslim population in my city, but not until Ramadan this year have I ever seen a yuge crowd of really foreign looking people take over a local park. It was really startling to think they're hiding in and around me in such numbers without ordinarily being seen. It's literally like the beginnings of a stealth takeover, and the government is only increasing the importation quotas.

Just get some buckets of dirt and put them out in the sun. It's super easy to get started, and that way you figure out what you're doing before biting off more than you can chew.

I say let them have sharia because it will lead to them getting removed sooner

Me too. I just want a small house on 10 acres of land where I gain raise chickens, tend a garden, and enjoy the outdoors. It's crazy how a simple goal like this is extremely unattainable for me. Land prices are fucking outrageous and the whole set up would run me ~250k

>large vegetable garden
>cattle
>apple orchard
>Solar power for barns and garage
>Saving up for wind power for home and power tools in garage alongside solar
>Live on well
>wood and coal for winter
>old coal mine about 3 miles down the road should I run out of wood
>House was built in 1866, and built to last
>Slate roof with no leaks and no problems

Once I get my wind power my only bills will be internet and fucking taxes. Fucking taxes. Fuck them.

I could be 100% self sufficient and sustain myself entirely if it wasn't for taxes. I live alone and can't find a wife willing to live this traditional lifestyle just because I don't have TV, A/C, or a furnace.

Bitch wouldn't have to do anything but cook and take care of children until they're old enough to work(6-7)

>3mons
Probably closer to 3 weeks, most people live paycheque to paycheque and buy groceries at least once a week.

Just proclaim the tax rate is outrageous and declare independence.

I have an old house with a garden. Used to grow vegetables there. There's a hill behind it. Someone parked a car there once. Someone else saw fit to chop it up with a hatchet. The gasoline leaked to the soil. Nothing grows there now. Now I need money to live. I hate this world.

Takbir and inshallah

i do. i grow peas, beets, kale, leeks, spinich and several types of loose leaf lettuce from spring until late fall. most people don't because they're too busy watching tv or keeping up with goybook memes

people would rather pollute their minds than engage in a fruitful and healthy pastime.

That's why the world needs more walls. Liberals won't understand.

or guns

The house I had before I moved had an orange tree, a fig tree and a handful of strawberry bushes.

The people who moved into that house chopped down every tree on the property.

A garden is a great way to understand the need for walls. I've never wanted to ruthlessly slaughter cute little local wildlife until they started eating my damn garden.

>fruitful

:^)

I don't grow these you posted because I hate vegetables, but I do grow spices (mint, basil and parsley) and 3 kinds of pepper.

Do you like bananas?

Hi monkey. Really cute that you have a garden.

yes for the most part.