Why can't we have nice buildings?

Also architecture thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bHw4MMEnmpc
youtube.com/watch?v=ErGQ0rXkn74
youtube.com/watch?v=MzDDKE7Di4Q
youtube.com/watch?v=57rVDNAGCMs
montgomeryplanning.org/events/rethink2011/documents/MakeoverMontgomeryConference_3A_Tennant.pdf
vimeo.com/103665136
youtube.com/watch?v=0iriNIKeBLY
youtube.com/watch?v=_ICAOZFHcRw
interaktiv.morgenpost.de/berlin-1900-2015/
bathhistorytours.co.uk/bath-name-origin-history-of-bath/
youtube.com/watch?v=Q71A5hPk2mM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because it's cheap to build ugly buildings and it's oh so progressive.

It's not cheap, you have to pay the designer for his "genuine, innovative ideas"

There's no reason to.

What will be the architecture we remember from the 1900's? There is none basically. Everything is from pre 1900. Quite sad to be frank

because you eastern European faggots ruined the best type of architecture.

muh gommunism.

we could have had a beautiful world of mass poured concrete if you could have just let the leftists win.

selfish cunts.

you mean pre 1960

I think the French President has the nicest digs.

Always been a fan of the parliament building in Victoria, BC.

Another angle

Beauty = happy, proud people = disobedient goyim

Because googles would trash them.

>a fucking staircase

All these buildings were in reality designed and built by black architects. The whites just stole them and keep lying about it. #WEWUZARCHITECTS

Quebec city is also gorgeous.

In the US at least, nearly everywhere have tons and tons of land-use regulations that prevent the construction of traditional-looking European architecture, which tends to be very dense.

Zoning, height restrictions, setback requirements, minimum parking rules, density limits, unit size minimums, financing rules discouraging mixed-use buildings... all that shit adds up to make US architecture fucking lame.

>Why can't we have nice buildings?

Because of jews you bluepilled cuck

When did we stop being free user?

What's wrong with cardboard boxes, goy? Don't you want to save money for the refugees?

wrong board, retards

Based Roger

youtube.com/watch?v=bHw4MMEnmpc

This is a former Masonic lodge in Orange NJ, which is a city overrun with black people mostly hanging out during working hours while I occasionally do deliveries there.

You can see it was designed form over function in mind and turned out very nicely for what it was in that time period.

The Masons left though because the city turned to shit. There are store fronts on the ground floor and probably section 8 housing where someone tried to make a decent building.

If that was what my architectural project would look like 30,40, even 50 years down the line, I wouldn't really try much either.

literally a tumor

Most of the bullshit government regulations were passed by urban libruls to try and help poor black people--forcing a minimum standard of apartment size/quality, etc. Actual result was to make everything shittier and more expensive, and reduce the supply of shitty dense housing that kept black folk contained and happy.

Not Cred Forums related but fuck you I'll bite

I wish all low density residential homes could be Victorian.

Because.

>Not Cred Forums related

SEND. HELP.

In lieu of ugly new shit built by illegals like this

This is somewhat true user but I think that architectural functionalism, coupled with keeping costs way the hell down, has also led to the demise of beautiful architecture both in this country and abroad.

I know some architects however are trying to blend traditional styles with the practicality of modern architecture to form a kind of hybrid between form and function. Kind of like which is passable. Certainly not like

>1488

Aw hell.

Medina is about to receive its own vast and needless expansion as well.

I actually like Dubai.

This makes me wonder

Will someday Italians straighten up the Pisa tower.
I know that the leaning attracts the tourists but tourism will not cease just because the tower was fixed, the tower itself is the attraction.

Are you supposed to fly up into that or wot?

Not just as architects but also as funders of post modern crap.

doesnt have to be ancient to be classy as fuck
this is from the 20s, looks modern but not globalist trash

fuck i forgot the pic

You're right--urban policy and planning is fucked up for many reasons, but architecture is struggling for it's own very special reasons.

>roger scrunton

very nice, I have been meaning to pick up his books

We know, Mohammed. We know.

RHODE ISLAND REPRESENT
Newport is such a nice town!

There are plenty of nice newer buildings, they're just built by individuals rather than governments. Wouldn't you rather pay lower taxes for shitty public buildings so you can live in a nicer house?

Why did Brutalism even become a thing? Its so fucking ugly.

Empire State Building and Chrysler Building are pretty nice
I'm also rather partial to the new WTC building but I know there are people who don't share that sentiment

What makes you think PoMo starchitects come cheap?

Some dude making his own wooden house.

youtube.com/watch?v=ErGQ0rXkn74

Damn that street is comfy, 10/10 would live.

We have an Odeon ourselves.
It's better though.

Nuke this abomination from orbit, pls

Imagine the upkeep for this shit.

Oh yeah theres no question theres beutiful American architecture, such as the skyscrapers in your major cities. I was referring to European architecture only

Awful. Here's a tumor attached to a Toronto museum.

"Because traditional buildings are too expensive!!!"

In basically every city in the US, doing this sort of construction would be illegal and violate all sorts of stupid building codes and zoning ordinances etc.

We've literally made it illegal for humble citizens to get cheap housing and gradually upgrade throughout their lives as they make more money and build families and stuff. This is how European cities evolved for thousands of years, and we've regulated the process out of existence.

comparing fascist rationalism to semi-neoclassicism.

Truly nauseating.

In some cities it is even illegal to replace a faucet without hiring a plumber. In general the less densely populated an area, the more you can do by yourself without the government fucking with you.

Does Cred Forums often talk about architecture? I only come here for Syria gossip and spotted this thread.

The problem with modern architecture is that we killed cities with zoning laws and remaking streets as places for cars (instead of people). The architecture in this thread that people love comes from an era when buildings fronted out onto vibrant streets where people went about the business of living, shopping, selling, and playing. Modern architecture is different because there isn't anyone on the street to be appealed to - modern architecture is designed to be interesting when viewed from an airplane.

Though thb, there's nothing inherently wrong with modernist architecture when it's used properly, like this library that sits in the middle of a college campus. Love it.

Your argument doesn't work if all the expensive modern buildings look awesome.

Litterally Toronto 'Punished' museum

All I want is a comfy craftsman style home near a brook on ten acres in New England.

Craftsman=Best 20th century design

>Fascists will defend this

Never did find that sort of architecture appealing, to be honest.
How's art deco in Italy?

The fascist architecture is ugly, it's almost like the modern architecture

what's wrong with that?
That was basically a billboard for the elections
Also, the face looks majestic as fuck

I had a friend that lived in Beacon Hill. Walking around in the fall was 11/10. Crisp new england air, leaves falling on the cobblestones, gas lanterns flickering in the early twilight.

excuse me if this is wrong pic

Cartels and industry groups have corrupted politicians to establish all manner of bullshit occupational licensing and regulatory rules that serve to insulate workers from competition and end up raising prices and screwing people over. This is especially true in construction-related fields.

I want to fuck that library.

Sounds comfy. We can be neighbors

i kinda like rationalism but dont get me wrong, i do not think this is the best we have to offer in terms of architectural heritage

Sad.

Modern architecture is degenerate. Also, sorry nazis, but leninst/stalinist architecture is better than hitlerist....

Isn't America beautiful?

there

>i do not think this is the best we have to offer in terms of architectural heritage

Quite the understatement.

>eye sorrow tier shit
>"look awesome"

I wonder why rest of a planet see americans as tainted retards.

Because being surrounded by high craftsmanship would make people uncomfortable with being wagecucks and tax slaves.

I don't know what is a nice building.

Didn't the Tzar had this fucking amazing palace?

No-one has gotten in or out of that building in over thirty years.

It is its own self contained habitat, occasionally people desperate to escape fall out of the windows but they are something less than human.

Commie/Nazi ideas and it's oppressive vibes.

It only works in small amounts and with an extreme amount of nature to off set it.

We wuz tzars and shiet

>I worked so hard and now I see were all my taxes went!
>My town is best!!

or

>I worked so hard, why do they tax me
>my town looks like shit I want to die.

I would be so irate if I lived somewhere that made it illegal for me to fix and update my own home. I take pride in the work I do and enjoy having the skills and confidence to tackle a big project.

And if you don't know how to do something? Jewtube has thousands of videos on any kind of diy project. Working on your home is like cooking. If you can follow a recipe to the T without getting distracted and cutting corners, it'll come out great.

of course you don't

We can, but we dont want

Time to rebuild Tavarish

Oh please.

Its always cool to have different biomes to enhance the aesthetics of what you are building
This looks comfy to me

>One ring to the dark lords hand
>Sitting on his throne
>In a land so dark
>Where i have to go

This land is cursed

Our fault.

It's base has been remodeled it has weird Jewy glass study rooms with fire escape doors you have to walk all the way past and inside to get to.

More concrete than trees. More smog than air. Help us Donald

One ring to rule them all...

Manarola was amazing.

I thought Zaha Hadid died?

lol wut?
should we lve in twink cities?

i agree a new style would be fun

We can, but we have to wake up. Money is there, all we need is a good will.

I FUCKING HATE COMMIEBLOCKS!!!

Jakriborg - Sweden
Built in 1990's

AAAAAHHHH

bretty based

youtube.com/watch?v=MzDDKE7Di4Q

Lol, suck to be some of you.

Yeah it was le corbusier's fault. Also, those look more like German-style plattenbau.

Cool.

everyone has commieblocks

This sort of small, dense housing with minimal parking and lot size is completely illegal nearly everywhere in the US. We're fucking morons.

i hope it's just the facade and the rooms inside aren't townhouse-style constrained in width

These are pretty cool.

forest top

Unfortunately man, that house has a little bit more style than most by me. Architecture in America, especially the in suburbs, is sad.

This is in Budapest and it looks like a tumour. I see it daily and it is frustrating a bit to look at it. What do you think?

View from a top.
Gdansk was destroyed during the war and rebuilt.
As you can see middle of buildings have little parks to play with - this is post war idea.

So what does a proper turret look like?

Because the fucking googles burn them down when we do.

>going on Cred Forums

Talk to people and vote to change it.
If you could change whole society in last 50 years then you can change your cities as well.
Promote ideas you like to people you know, let them spread word further.

a giant robot came on that red brick building

rev up those strawmen

Middletown reporting in.

I don't often appreciate it as much as I should since I live right next to it, but Newport is honestly such a beautiful town. Vid related

youtube.com/watch?v=57rVDNAGCMs

We just have to fix them all one by one

Art and Architecture are connected.

Looks like one of Gehry's diahrrea abortion shit craps

It's actually a whale.

Joey blew them all up

The fact that we consider that building beautiful now reflects very poorly on the state of urban policy, which makes its construction effectively illegal. Those sorts of simple buildings (2-story, commercial on bottom, residential up top) have been build for thousands of years by random people without formal training. They just built them because that's what everyone else did. It's only recently that we've regulated and professionalized humble simplicity out our cities.

>tfw the only nice building in my whole state is the state capitol

Fuck urban sprawl. get rid of the opressive zoning laws and "low income' areas. Build decent multi-tenant buildings and townhouses!

But muh neighborhood character

Here in north NJ suburbs you can build a fence or even an outdoor brick oven without a permit because it's considered a permanent structure.

My dad invests in real estate and once put up a nice vinyl white picket fence too close to the curb at one of his houses. I mean like, three feet, one meter for you non Americans, from the side walk. It was still in our own backyard! But we still had to either move it back another three feet or bring the height down. There really are so many goddamn regulations it's fucking retarded. And every municipality changes them so you have to figure out what works for each and every town

Maybe we should make a market urbanism general thread. Seems like more and more people are beginning to realize government regulation has seriously fucked people over and made our cities look and function like shit.

DANZIG
IST
DEUTSCH

I respect your opinion on that library but you know what really gets me with modern architecture like that? Personally, it strikes me as though they're just trying way too hard. They're not trying to find the symmetrical essence of beauty like the Greeks or Rennaisance artists, they're just trying to be the edgiest faggots they can be. Like "wow look what I did isn't it impressive because it's so different?" kind of crap.

To me it's kind of cool but it's not what my eyes want to see. It's like hipster architecture and no one else did it before so I have to respect it. Fuck off with that bullshit.

Again, I can see how you might like that building and actually meant no offense but can you get what I'm saying with my perspective?

Their architecture is sterile like their religious mind. Fuck'em

Jenga!

It's the cheapest form of long lasting building.

>Does Cred Forums often talk about architecture?
Daily.

welp

Really?

Even governments with unlimited tax expenditure build in this ugly utilitarian-internationalist style now. It's become "hip and modern." We'll never see art or architecture that exalts culture and affirms humanity anymore, just lifeless slabs of ugly concrete that reflect our drab, gray little souls.

That kind of architecture reminds me of La Sagrada Familia and Gaudí's input of natural themes into the concrete. I went to Barcelona this summer and La Sagrada really blew me away.

>you talkin shit about my building-fu?

It's like a virus sweeping the streets.

It's hard to believe people actually enjoy modern architecture or find it satisfying/fulfilling spiritually.

You just made me prouder to be Polish. Thanks bro

>over a millenia

>We'll never see art or architecture that exalts culture and affirms humanity anymore
Strangely, even the billionaires live in abominably ugly housing.

>Even governments with unlimited tax expenditure
which describes French royal Versailles

>We'll never see art or architecture that exalts culture and affirms humanity anymore
Considering the suffering the cost of Versailles cost to the people, I dont think it exalts anything except the cruelty and indifference of the rich over the poor.

Well, it's popular. They only see the value of such things going up, as Jackson Pollack paint splatters sell for millions nowadays. It's a smart investment for a soulless billionaire who doesn't care about beauty or humanity.

I wonder if this trend will ever die.

I didn't say unlimited tax expenditure can't produce beautiful buildings. In fact, I said the exact OPPOSITE. Pay attention.

Many people died building art-deco monstrosities too. Architecture used to be a dangerous business. I'm not excusing the actions of monarchs like Louis XIV for making their peasants work under harsh conditions for little pay to build him pretty monuments.

When our culture dies. Which seems like not long from now, as Muslims are bringing their culture to us. At least they preserved theirs.

Today this area is infested with googles

Houston doesn't have zoning. This is the result.

Sweet merciful Jesus, even commie blocks look better.

Do any of you know modern architects who build in a classical style? I know the Art Renewal Center has a portfolio of modern realist painters, but they exclude architecture from their website. I'm beginning to think building functional, proper buildings will become a lost art.

Houston doesn't have zoning, but still has a variety of harmful land-use regulations that contribute to sprawl and excess parking, such as setback requirements, height limits, lot size regulations, and minimum parking requirements.

That said, Houston's relatively free market in building means it's been able to add housing supply as its population has grown, keeping it affordable and thriving.

Here is a very cool slideshow with some great photos demonstrating how Houston's architecture has evolved over the past few years (PDF link):

montgomeryplanning.org/events/rethink2011/documents/MakeoverMontgomeryConference_3A_Tennant.pdf

r8 my shitty city

The castle looks pretty comfy, the buildings on the right of the second picture are ugly.

WAKE ME UP

Quinlan and Francis Terry

that building is gorgeous

> all that oxidized copper

imagine that fucker when it was new.

looks like a city for clowns

>I'm beginning to think building functional, proper buildings will become a lost art.

I think it has to do with economics. Old buildings are more expensive to build, maintain and insure than shit-tier buildings designed to last for 20-30 years before scraping.

It's all very utilitarian, nothing is made to last or have character nowadays. It's kind of sad really.

The detail inside some mosques is astounding
>all of it is carved

Have you heard of Art Deco?
>refugee education

That is English as fuck. If I had the money, I would remove every liberal cuck and non-White and re-colonise it with my own...

What a beautiful, beautiful street!

>That golden dome
Is your state run by Iranian Gs?

Where is this?

We had to do the good doctor proud

>not liking modern architecture

Fuck off with your neoclassical garbage, it has been done for centuries.

Let's try something new for once.

That's a very naive way to think about Le Corbusier's work, the guy was a composition genius, you may not like the aesthetics of his buildings but they were incredibly efficient and beautiful in terms of light and space. The problem is he started the modern movement, which became a perfect excuse for architects to become lazy and simplistic "because it's more efficient"; classical architecture died there, there was a complete halt on tradition in universities.

Right now architecture is in a good spot though, the financial crisis fucked up the good life of architects who had enjoyed decades of easy public/private funding and cheap housing; now they've been forced to innovate and really squeeze the advantages of using new materials and technologies.

t. architecture student

This is the Baha'i temple in Delhi
its a lotus

How far away (in time, kek) do you think this sort of stuff is?

thats not modernism

also this

That looks like a giant toilet and I can only assume it was built in India.

That could certainly be built today if they wanted to.

We're getting a lot of "Spanish Style" now.

ugly af

it's a concept piece
>not real

I think its supposed to be a flower.. I dunno

the insides are usually also a cluster fuck of designs with corners cut.

>punished museum

>tfw your state capitol looks completely gommunist

actually looks ugly to me.

The old one

looks like a Mormon temple

I meant your pic, not mine..

*Danzig

Schonbrunn Palace, Vienna.

Deady hall

>pic

Because actual aesthetic architecture is so "passée" to the in-crowd critics these days. If it isn't vomit inducing to look at then you aren't "pushing the envelope"...

Also, required Cred Forums viewing if you haven't already:

vimeo.com/103665136

She didn't die young enough.

I don't think they do. I think it is an 'emperor's new clothes' kind of thing.

I really love this church in Quebec.

Georgian is pretty pro. The last they built just about before everything went to shit.

where is that church standing?

beautiful mate
in His image for His glory

That roof is a bit too busy, but otherwise 8/10.

Quebec

I think that one's American.

Might be more of a draw if you could go inside to the top. Unfortunately it's in a boring suburb covered in dog shit.

I think its 'Our Lady of Fatima Piscataway' in NJ
I don't really know

That one would look a lot better in the bare materials. The blue/white paint gives it a bit of a tacky look.

Thanks, friend.

Where is that?

>a snake kaiju.

St. Johns is one of the few cities in Canada that's going out of its way to shun modern/post-modern architecture bullshit. We have rules that dictate absolutely no building downtown that's really old can be torn down, and any new buildings being constructed must fit the theme, so we don't have ugly glass cubes and shitty commie zigzags.

Look up the Prince's Trust.

The Prince of Wales has been hard against modern architecture since he was a young man.

youtube.com/watch?v=0iriNIKeBLY

That's futurist dumbass

I hate fucking hate when they built for example a governmental building and it's all modernist crap. Is so difficult to build it in a spanish style?

Alive for the first year or so, never to be maintained. Brutalist edifices often had these gardens. Gone now

>Soviet era commie blocks from east germany
not an arguement

I would have at least somewhat respected you if you picked on Bauhaus or whatever

It's also very progressive to post pictures of buildings in Finland built Russian

>parking lot 5 meters away from the entrance
You never fail to amaze me

because liberals bitch about it being "too Eurocentric" and "noninclusive" which makes it "problematic" then the hipster feminists in city council will hire a mostly woman building company because "gurl pwer", why then cut corners and go over budget with a "form over function" attitude. They get wet over thinking "were making the future" so they just remodel whatever hotshit memes the art departments are throwing around that week and we wind up with the shitfest that is modern architecture.

Disgusting.

>American Colonial Architecture
>"new shit"

Bath is pretty comfy

I love you and fucking hate her. Dumb bitch drew squiggles in AutoCAD and people called it genius. She's a kid playing in fucking Microsoft Paint. Buildings are functional uses of space not neat pictures to like on Facebook.

>all that CGI
>all these fake colors
>all these shiny surfaces
it will never look like that
and you only have to wait 10 years, and it's rotten, just like these god damn commie blocks

Another one from Bath

Here's more of the church, it's probably one of the most gorgeous buildings I've ever been to.

youtube.com/watch?v=_ICAOZFHcRw

Some cities don't have a thousand years of architectural history. We do the best we can.

I just don't get modern architecture, especially the brutalist stuff. Sure, buildings like the Casa Malaparte are nice but the charm comes from its location, think what it could have been if made in a more traditional style.

I like the nike symbol on that thing
nice advertisement placement

thanks man,
that Christ with one hand off the cross and out stretched towards you is weird at 4:00
never seen that before

i've been told the frost bank tower is supposed to be a giant owl.

i don't really see it

more of this, it calms my seething rage seeing shitty architecture

>people make balconies without any sort of access from the inside

Stupidest shit right there. There is nothing I hate more than shit like widow's walks that are completely unusable.

Everything on a building needs to be practical, or at the least not completely impractical.

Look at Berlin in 1900 vs Berlin in 2015
interaktiv.morgenpost.de/berlin-1900-2015/

Nice buildings are out of the window.(pun intended)

Is that THE bath that Bath is named after?

looks like a nightmare

jesus fucking christ

Dubai is cool, it just isn't a place to raise a family. Nothing wrong with modern architecture when it is built in the type of environment where it belongs. A futuristic city-state made of glass in the desert makes sense aesthetically.

During FDR's regime.

Its the Notre-Dame Basilica in Montreal, Canada.

Is it wrong that if I were in charge of a city like that I would be in total advocation of the prompt demolition of the modern buildings and a reconstruction of the historical buildings redesigned to modern standards, but still in the classical style?

Also why did they get rid of that thing across the street with the pillars and the horse statues?

Please tell be the cranes in the 2015 picture are for rebuilding and not for disassembling the building.

Humanity would sink into eternal darkness, it would fall into a dull and primitive state, were the Skypes to win this war. They are the incarnation of that destructive force that in these terrible years has guided the enemy war leadership in a fight against all that we see as noble, beautiful, and worth keeping. For that reason alone the Skypes hate us. They despise our culture and learning, which they perceive as towering over their nomadic worldview. They fear our economic and social standards, which leave no room for their parasitic drives. They are the enemy of our domestic order, which has excluded their anarchistic tendencies. Germany is the first nation in the world that is entirely free of the Skypes. That is the prime cause of its political and economic balance. Since their expulsion from the German national body has made it impossible for them to shake this balance from within, they lead the nations they have deceived in battle against us from without. It is fine with them, in fact it is part of their plan, that Europe in the process will lose a large part of its cultural values. The Skypes had no part in their creation. They do not understand them. A deep racial instinct tells them that since these heights of human creative activity are forever beyond their reach, they must attack them today with hatred. The day is not distant when the nations of Europe, yes, even those of the whole world, will shout: The Skypes are guilty for all our misfortunes! They must be called to account, and soon and thoroughly!

california isn't america

That is the great bath in the Roman Bathhouse. Bath got its name because it is situated on hot springs.
Link here for how bath got its name:
bathhistorytours.co.uk/bath-name-origin-history-of-bath/

But in a sense yes, it is.

Why don't we have like buildings with a parking garage underneath them?

That seems like it would save space.

Like however many tables are in your restaurant, then you have a parking garage with that many spaces as your basement.

As a note - the baths have been a bit modified and redeveloped since the Romans were here.

It literally looks like a tumor.

I'm sure there's a metaphor in that.

I've always thought Edinburgh has some nice architecture.

oops - here is the pic.

Sure, that's possible but why bother when land is so cheap? Parking structures typically cost ten times per square foot as much as a parking lot. It's only when land is expensive or there is a law against surface parking that they'll bother with a parking deck (above or below ground).

Houston actually has improved some since that photo was taken but still places the needs of the automobile far ahead of those of the pedestrian.

But my city does have beautiful buildings.

modern architecture is so awful i can't even bring myself to be contrarian and support it

I'm not a fan of modern or postmodern architecture, but the original World Trade Center was definitely a work of art in its own right. The way the towers spoke to each other, and the way the resonate over the rest of the skyline makes the complex feel surreal and alive.

A lot of Canadian hotels built in the 1800s and early 1900s look spectacular.

I stayed in pic related once, it's thought to be haunted and I'm pretty sure it is.

dumb americlap

watching this live is amazing

youtube.com/watch?v=Q71A5hPk2mM

I absolutely love british architecture. Too bad alot of new buildings in London and UK are shitty commiblocks..

you know (((why)))

I know that feel

One of the only good looking buildings in Queensland is the Treasury Building

Which has been a casino since 1995

Yeah we have some beautiful places but as you say a lot of shitholes too.
Pic related... (there are many worse than this but this was the first I found)

>you will never live in Hitler's Germany

Saved

That bulding is Kelmscott Manor where William Morris lived.
It is about 20 minutes from my house.

*building