There are people on Cred Forums right now that think that space exploration is a waste of time and resources

>there are people on Cred Forums right now that think that space exploration is a waste of time and resources.

Why? We live in a planet with finite resources, do you guys think it will last forever?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ouRbkBAOGEw
lettersofnote.com/2012/08/why-explore-space.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for Trump will become billionaire bros with Elon and take us to Mars

Humanity should always strive for bigger things, we will not be here forever, at some point the human race will simply disappear. This is why we must leave a mark to the universe that will be a proof of our existence.

>space EXPLORATION
>saving the human race
You can't columbus space, med kit

There are?

I thought it was only libcucks who think dooming Africa to uncontrollable population growth is more important.

Some people are stupid, news at 11.

That being said aggressive "human expansion" into space at this moment in time is a waste of resources because the technology just isn't there yet.

Aggressive, no. But the western countries should start working together on a space program.

sorry, gotta divert resources to the refugees

This. In all honesty I blame the lack of a bigger picture for most of the problems we face today.

Without something to strive for there's no point and purpose in our existence, and that can only lead to depression, degeneracy and hedonism.

Space exploration is a noble goal.

Humanity is a not yet a noble species.

It would be careless and reckless of our best minds to unleash the hoards of average humans on the rest of the galaxy.

We need to be responsible galactic citizens and clean house before we even think of going anywhere.

If we managed to find another inhabitable planet right now, it would become islamic or dinduist. That would be a worse legacy to leave on the galaxy than none at all.

Space exploration is a waste of time and money.

Space is very well known for being full of nothing

>the technology just isn't there yet

50 years ago, NASA was among other things developing and sometimes testing NERVA, Project Orion, Project Timberwind and Project Rover.

All of these showed great promise with the technology of the day, and could likely be optimized through computer simulations and flight testing.

it's the only forseeable way to abandon all the shitskins on planet earth and create the utopia god planned for us

whites and maybe japanese should be the only races allowed to leave earth (and will be if affirmative action never makes it to space... ;_; it probably will)

>Implying they don't

At current technological level """"developing"""" space resources bring less than spent. Like million times less. Burning million barrels of oil to get one barrel. What sort of plan is it? Liberal plan? (aka results don't matter only feels counts aka we """"developing"""" space)

The idea of space travel is inane and socially dangerous.

Space travel is an extreme version of a common belief that it is easier to run away from our problems than to solve them. Those who gleefully look forward to space colonization are either insane or brainwashed by fancy imagery to the point of religious devotion.

The optimistic belief in space travel, colonising Mars, etc.....has dangerous parallels with conventional religion. While it is human to seek comfort in religion, it is a misleading and dangerous way of thinking we should be aware of, and wary of.

As president Eisenhower once said, every ship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.

If the humanity as a whole used just 1% of the available resources on space exploration we would be sending humans to other star systems in the next 50 years.

Project Orion could lift enough assets to do whatever we wanted. But that isn't really the problem, it's life support in the long term. Radiation concerns, health concerns, etc.

It's possible but not really feasible at the moment.

We've barely scratched the surface of the earth's resources.

no we fucking wouldn't. the technology required to do that is only theoretical at this point anyway. it might not even exist

>people exist who are hungry, therefore they deserve the fruits of your labor
nah fuck off communist faggot

Not yet, but getting good at the right technology will eventually enable that. Conducting space exploration stimulates exactly that kind of development.

We could end up needing similar technology (surviving in harsh surroundings permanently) right here in the end. It doesn't even use a big part of the national budget.

Inb4 spacefag. Yes I'm a spacefag, but from age 4 it made me work hard, study engineering, become an engineer, and study for a PhD.

It inspires people, it's exactly the kind of noble pursuit a developed, civilised society like the one Cred Forums dreams of should rally behind, given the resources of course.

Any other spacefags. watch the whole thing. You'll work twice as hard and happy tomorrow.

youtube.com/watch?v=ouRbkBAOGEw

>A FUCKING LEAF

Your pathetic line of argument was debunked in 1970, while your mom was still being buggered by the local catholic priest.

lettersofnote.com/2012/08/why-explore-space.html

The space programs that are going on now are a joke with so little money spent on them.

What if I told you that its possible for every single human to live happily on the earth at the same time as we work on space exploration? Is it the fate of humanity to stay on earth as a primitive lifeform? Why cant we strive to be something bigger, safeguarding and creating life on other planets, harnessing the powers of the universe on our grasp, basically becoming gods.

We must first explore the oceans!

The largest ship considered by the Orion team was to have a 3-day to Saturn capacity of 1300 tons. You can get a lot of life support for 1300 tons, especially considering the short duration.

Should we just wait then for someone else to give it to us? We have already proven that the human race can discover new things at a super fast rate (space race, WW2). At the pace we are now, no, 50 years is not enough. But if we spent more resources then yes, its possible.

Seaquest DSV was the shit. Fucking loved that show.

I believe humans are inevitably destined to 'die out', whether by overpopulation, natural disaster, a virus, asteroid or whatever. The dinosaurs had a good run, but eventually they disappeared as will we, nature has a way & will recover after we have long gone, so stop worrying & enjoy our short time on this planet, let some other species have a go, sometimes space travel nerds are so selfish.

Nobody prohibits you to explore space paying out of your pocket. Maybe you can even buy 1/1000 of space launch. Do it commie faggit and fuck off from other people pockets.

>Elon

I want this meme to die

Newsflash retard, this planet isn't going to be around forever. If we want to survive as a species, then we're going to have to leave this shithole rock eventually.

Maybe if we had a homogenous white america and Europe we'd already be exploring Mars. Meanwhile libshits want a return to the dark ages by importing low iq 3rd world savages into every rich white country

If we could haul a couple hundred tons of shit to Mars we could build a habitat that contained enough industrial infrastructure to build additional habitats using only Martian resources.

Imagine a new dome of Martian glass silica held up by Martian steel forged from Martian hematite, under which is a city of people drinking Martian water, eating food grown on Mars and receiving power from the Martian sky

Before we go though, we should consider ignoring what they tell us and going our own way, far away from other humans and creating a new natsoc colony, i'd volunteer if that drugs jew (or whoever else) will fund it

>literally a nihilist

>The space programs that are going on now are a joke with so little money spent on them.
They are millions times more then governments spent of developing seafaring in pre-columb era. What did bring more results? Really makes u think who is pissing against wind...

>Literally blind to the concept that expansion can be a display of progress and enlightenment on top of our existing civilisation.

>Can only see one rational reason to spread: destroying current habitat.

What the fuck board did you wander in from user?

>If we could haul a couple hundred tons of shit to Mars we could build a habitat that contained enough industrial infrastructure to build additional habitats using only Martian resources.
Try to demonstrate such technology on Earth first and maybe you stop saying stupid things.

I wouldn't mind living in space like in star trek desu

See his other post He objects to space travel because he believes humanity should and must go extinct

As Neil DeGrasse-Tyson said, it would take the Voyager probe, which is travelling through space at 56,000mph, 80,000 years to reach that nearest star, which is almost 4 light years away.

It's unlikely that we'll ever develop the technology to enable us to travel even that far. And then it's just as unlikely that there's a planet capable of sustaining human life even if we could get there. And even if so, the indigenous species may have something to say about our imposition on their living space.

However, our astronomers have identified some planets with life sustaining possibilities, such as Keplar. At only a mere 50 light years away it's looking like were gonna have to face reality. We can either make it possible to preserve the habitat of our own planet or accept that we'll splutter out at some point in the near future if we continue as we are.

Given the choices, from that perspective, I'll stay here do my best to fight the excesses of destructive capitalism.

Besides, what happens if we do manage to escape and reach another habitable planet - do we start fracking there too?

We're not meant to live on this earth forever. It's almost over now. The moral sins of your people will be judged by fire from heaven. You cannot flee that judgment.

A FUCKING LEAF.

KYS already you selfish faggot.

I grow up on sci-fi films and vidya too, that doesn't mean I believe it

>Try to demonstrate such technology on Earth first
That's the entirety of human civilization in a microcosm, shithead.

A skyscraper is made out of steel that was created in a crucible. A crucible like one that was created by ironworkers who got their tools from a fire pit forge. That forge was designed by a guy who first discovered that certain rocks melt in neat ways in a campfire and can make hard or pointy things.

>muh environment
except increased fossil fuel use directly correlates to fewer climate related deaths
cheaper energy is BETTER for the poor, especially in developing nations, your debunked documentaries about flaming fracking water will never refute this fact

it's just something that has to be slowly discovered by multiple physicists all exploring different options. dumping all your resources into something that may not even exist or going in the wrong direction is stupid. the space race was completely different too. we already knew about combustion and how it could possibly put us into space. now we're talking about antimatter which we could never produce enough of and dark matter which might not even be what we think it is

It's like we've reached the logical end point of asking 'yeah but what if' to the core of the SJW psyche. And it's horrible.

>89917467
SPACE
UNLIMITED RESOURCES
GTFO

Again. Start kick-starter and try to build closed settlement working on the raw resources and which is capable to fully replicate itslef and that could fit into 200 tons transport. I can guarantee that you will not go further than medieval village (which obviously can't survive on mars without air and biosphere).

STOP GOING TO MALLS! START YOUR INDEPENDENT MARS COLONY PROTOTYPE!

It's only a waste of public money. Hand it over to private enterprise and see what they come up with.

Well, with russian technology it certainly isn't viable.

>mfw Spain tries to throw shade

That's the plan

You are free to use Sweden technology. GFTO from my Cred Forums and start building your mars colony prototype.

I'm seeing a lot of haters on this thread OP, but the simple fact is that WE HAVE TO TRY. If we don't develop advanced technologies and move into space to become a multiplanetary species, some disaster will wipe us out forever. We have to try.

>Why? We live in a planet with finite resources, do you guys think it will last forever?

And if the resources run out and our species dies, then tough shit.
It would just prove what I already see, which is our species is a pile of moose shit.

The Mars Homestead Project is experimenting with locally manufacturing complex resources from raw materials on a shitty little dry rock in the Hawaiian archipelago

They've managed to make supplies of new fiberglass and polyethylene using just what they've extracted from the craggy atoll

Modern Swedish tech is if not par, surpassed Russian tech.

>my Cred Forums

Since when is Cred Forums owned by a vodka-fueled mongol, with a serious case of delusions of grandeur?
Russia hasn't invented anything wortwhile since the whole 'starving your own citizens to death' thing

Space fag reporting in

Good. Call me when the build copy of their base using only local resources.

The technology will never be there till you develop it and you will never develop it till you do something like this.

why cant we explore deep sea first?

>fund research and tests
>don't fund expensive missions that don't advance science significantly
I'm sure some of the stuff like mars exploration could be held off until space travel becomes more efficient

Russia is right, you need to go.

virgin is not even doing anything
just some shitty small sat rocket that has no mission or purpose, and some suborbital thing that also sucks.

>he doesn't know how New World was found.
Don't they teach history of your country in school?

Hydraulic pressure is deadlier and harder to counteract than 90% of the hurdles people would face on nearby planetoids.

There is nothing on the surface of the moon or Mars that is trying to actively and gruesomely murder you every second you're there as aggressively as 1,000 bars of water pressure can.

>This. In all honesty I blame the lack of a bigger picture for most of the problems we face today.
>Without something to strive for there's no point and purpose in our existence, and that can only lead to depression, degeneracy and hedonism.

Finally someone who thinks like I do. Great to see people like you, britbro.

Humanity's purpose is to conquer the stars. Now we're basically stuck feeding the ever increasing population of our small globe.

We're basically throwing our resources into a void, which only grows in size as we feed it. The best part is that the void never contributes anything, it only consumes.

>space
>real

keep listening to what the tel avivsion is telling you

>the solution is to claim everything is impossible and cease science funding

You people are literally the cancer that's halting human progress.

People in Cred Forums are fucking retarded
we have many issues as a species, but it is not a waste to try to move out. the amount of resources near earth asteroid fields are worth trillions of dollars. we need a bit of extra tech and we be gud

>>there are people on Cred Forums right now that think that space exploration is a waste of time and resources.

There are also people that unironically believe the answer to all humankinds problems can be solved by shoving people on different planets.

How about you instead focus on fixing our own problems and planet as opposed to running away from it. Wait nevermind, the liberal mindset is to be a fucking cuck.

Its not all about solving problems, its about moving humanity further as a species, as we work on fixing our planet we should also work first on conquering the solar system and moving on from there.

> to running away from it
This is the main problem of this planet. It is impossible to running away from it if something happens.

>How about you instead focus on fixing our own problems and planet as opposed to running away from it.
The problem of the 21st century is that the Earth is about to be home to five billion Africans. They are not interested in birth control. Food aid to them will not be cut off. The more they suffer, the more of them will be welcomed into Europe and the Americas.

Planting a seed for a new Western Civilization that can't be reached on an inflatable raft or by hiking across Turkey is a decent fallback. Leave Earth the designated shitting planet.