Destroying Useful Things

Los Angeles is buying a rail yard to turn into a park. Turning valuable economic infrastructure into "green space" we are told we can't water anyway because of drought. $60 million dollars!

They also want to remove the concrete from the LA "river" (pictured). There is zero institutional memory to know why the river was lined with concrete in the first place. Not to mention it will cost more to remove than it did to install.

Other urls found in this thread:

kabc.com/2016/09/22/city-reaches-agreement-to-buy-rail-yard/
theaceproject.org/
hsr.ca.gov/docs/newsroom/maps/Bakersfield_to_Palmdale_Spring_2016.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

forgot link kabc.com/2016/09/22/city-reaches-agreement-to-buy-rail-yard/

the most cancerous state

they need to remove the concrete before the flood of your shitposting overflows L.A.

oh noooooo loook ooouuuuut !!!

>Union Pacific

>liberals destroying themselves again
What a surprise!

I live here.

please kill me.

they call out your burger orders in Spanish

Is that the place where the liquid metal Terminator fought the Schwartzenegger Terminator?

They lined the river with concrete to control flood waters.

>la river
>the abomination in pic related
Stay classy California

THIS IS BULLSHIT WHERE ARE WE SUPPOSED TO FILM TERMINATOR SCENES??????!!

That will be a very long and very thin park.

Since the Army Corps of Engineers if responsible for the LA river your federal tax dollars are going to this stupid project.

>they call out your burger orders in Spanish
Oh fug that's actually pretty bad

I never realized that was a river.

At the height of the drought (about 2014) LA city was pushing hard for the removal of the concrete because "we don't get rain anymore." Then 2015 was a big El Nino year and they went silent. Now they are cranking the project back up.

Union Pacific no longer has need of it. The yard in question has been derelict since UP bought SP in the mid 90s, traffic is devoted to their nearby intermodal yard down south. The one that is connected right into the $3 billion Alameda Corridor and $2 billion Alameda Corridor East. Go look at it on Google Maps. Taylor Yard g2 is redundant. UP and BNSF move traffic from the port up the trench, then east through Cajon Pass (which goes all the way to Chicago and Houston).

LA County knows how much of a moneymaker the port, and the rail lines servicing it, are. They especially won't fuck with it if it means more truck traffic on the freeways.

No bud, it's just your tax dollars being wasted here. Make sure you stay in your containment state because fuck off, we're full in Texas

How the fuck is this even considered a river?

You see? It's fucking USELESS. A barren plot of land that was only useful because it was owned by SP, which has not existed (at least outside of pension plans for pre-85 railroaders) since 1996. UP probably got a huge pile of cash for it just like how SP got a huge pile of cash for the 4th&Townsend depot (replaced with office buildings) and their headquarters (1 Market in SF).

Also it's very likely LA County will pull a fast one and use it as a southern high speed rail maintence facility. The state HSR authority (CHSRA) is already about to Eniment Domain land for the northern one in Bayshore, CA (which thirty years ago was also owned by SP).

a century ago it legitimately was, but much smaller (imagine something like a creek). The big concrete basin there now was built in the 1940s to prevent seasonal flooding. A few years ago LA put a wastewater outflow pipe at the end of it, meaning it gets a steady stream of greywater enough to warrant conversion into a more natural-looking river

You seem to know stuff about rail. Do you know why large industrial properties with their own rail spur simply don't use them anymore? In some cases they're ripping them out.

(You)

And you're racist if you dont like it :)

I dunno, probably because there's no heavy industry there anymore?

Rail only makes sense if you're moving more than four truckloads of stuff cross country (roughly the equivalent of a single railcar give or take). LA is building up, a lot of industry is moving east to Vegas and Phoenix both of which are Right-To-Work. Also remember that the two big railroads, UP and BNSF, hate doing locals and would rather send trucks out to pickup intermodal containers as that is what their logistics are setup for. This is especially true in the LA area where they truly do not give a shit about any track not on the mainlines, which are their money machines. This is why it cost Metrolink $325 million dollars to repair BNSF's Perris Valley spur into reasonable shape.

mira toda la folla dos, marica

I live in beaner central in Socal and this doesnt happen

Also, for context this is the current freight rail megaproject in LA at the moment.

theaceproject.org/

The pink circle is where plot g2 is.

Also notice how the Burbank-Union Station part of CAHSR (the green line) goes right through it. Funny that.

might as well post this too

hsr.ca.gov/docs/newsroom/maps/Bakersfield_to_Palmdale_Spring_2016.pdf

There is a line that runs through Santa Fe Springs that seems like its always busy. Do you think any of that traffic would be routed further North to these lines when they are completed?

there's two medium-sized transloading facilities down there (clearly for petroleum from tankers and plastic pellets from hoppers) and a junction. One track goes east through San Bernadino to Phoenix, the other south through San Diego to Tijuana. Also there's a bunch of factories around the "river" who probably have a desire for bulk deliveries of oil and/or plastic pellets

Also, the track there will be part of CAHSR, because of Anahiem. Yes, Prop 1A specifically calls for a train between downtown SF, downtown LA, and Disneyland. This is why Anahiem dumped $200 million on their (mostly useless) mall/station/glass cockpiece known as "arctic".

we posting vaportransit now?

artic is an eyesore

Not racist, just an idiot. US isn't a country with one langue and it doesn't have a history of ever being such.

It's really a shame the German towns around the the US had to give up their haretage, due to Anglo being afraid of ebil Nazis

CAHSR is actually getting built, albeit slowly. Caltrain will begin putting up catenary next spring, while CHSRA finishes up Bakersfield-Fresno. 2019 will see the start of the Bay-To-Basin segment.

Why bother? Because Siemens has a big factory in West Sacramento where they're building Amtrak's new electric ACS-64's, and Caltrans (and others) new Chargers. It's capable of building high speed trains, and Los Angeles is a hub of six major rail routes (to SF, Sacramento, Vegas, Phoenix, Tuscon and San Diego). Our next Governor, Antonio Villaraigosa, will likely lift Brown's ban on fracking in exchange for a gas tax increase for it.

Look on the bright side: German quality. These are trains Hitler himself would be proud of.

Damn, people in this thread really know their trains.

I had no clue how this part of infastructure worked.

As long as they speak English IDGAF
The chinks spout chinkanese when I feel like shitting myself for the next four days.

California is a case study of two different styles of governance (and thus, transit): LA's trains is completely consolidated into one County. This is how they were/are able to build light rail in such a short (~30 years) amount of time but stymied development of regional rail. Up in Northern California, everything is split amongst the seven Bay Area Counties, two Central Coast counties and two Central Valley counties. Up here, development of light rail was stymied as a result but commuter rail (Caltrain, ACE, SMART) has flourished.

LA has the better system though, because they aren't burdened by the shitheap/money laundering device that is BART.

Oregon here, please nuke California after sending all of them back, even if it takes us in the blast

>have drought
>hey why dont we continue wasting money on fighting useless forest fires to save that one guys mansion in the middle the dry sagebrush forest! then we can use the remainder on the almond groves!

I pissed myself because my blood pressure is so high

The conspiracy is real, SFMTA is experiencing braindeath assuming it is not already infiltrated. Once the M-Market subway is completed in a decade BART will consume Muni and shit them out. The entire system they've built (except for T-Third and Embarcadero) will be abandoned and replaced with buses. BART will then use this as a means to push for a 19th/Geary subway. Then the destruction of Muni will be complete and the city shall be completely annexed by BART.

it fucking pisses me off, they would have taken Caltrain too if it wasn't for Prop 1A demanding regular rail service to SF. This won't stop BART from stealing Caltrain's money again (like they did ten years ago with the SFO extension, or like they are doing now with the SJ extension which could have gone to rebuilding the Dumbarton rail bridge)

FUCK BART GOD, FUCK THEM FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

In what fucking bizarro world is the la river considered navigable

it's not really a river. it is a CREEK

rivers have water in them year round, creeks have water seasonally.
end of story.

the LA "river" was lined with concrete because when it rains, it washes out huge volumes of water to the sea, taking big chunks of land with it.

removing the 'crete will result in erosion of brobdingnangian proportions, the undercutting of bridges and overpasses, and entire highways being washed away.

LA is run by morons supported by dipshits.

on the upside, entire areas of googles and doritos will be flushed out to sea

>There is zero institutional memory to know why the river was lined with concrete in the first place.

Erosion.
Concrete is tougher than mud, thus is used to prevent erosion which over time would affect property value, and potentially render some current properties inhabitable.

Even the environment needs safe spaces :^D

I'd like to add that a lot of the heavy industry still located in the country is in the southeast which is better serviced by navigable waterways than the west.

>mfw kern county gets fraked

yes

forgot picture

Does anybody even go to parks anymore?

Kern County will be blue after CAHSR is done, Bakersfield is slated to become an exurb of LA like Fresno will be with San Jose. Buy property now.

MODS ARE DELETING META-POSTS.
RUMORS HAVE BEEN GOING AROUND ABOUT SOMETHING HAPPENING TO Cred Forums AND Cred Forums AND THREADS ABOUT THEM ARE BEING KILLED!
SPREAD THE WORD!
GO TO 8 IN CASE!
>WE WILL NOT BE PLAYED!

quit talking about "high speed rail"

it will NOT be "high speed"
it's gonna stop in every podunk village on the way, never exceeding 75 mph

it will NEVER ride in a vccume tub on magical levitation coild nor will it look like a dildo designed by the faggot who designed the imac g3

Protip: everything that cockbag "Designed" looked exactly the same
translucent plastic parts for no rational purpose, curves where angles would be more efficient and gay pastel colours that no straight man can name

>Lets remove vital infastructure! And non-Californians s are going to pat for it!

Is this what it feels to be Mexican listening to Trump? Because ot fucking hurts now.

fuck dick faggot.

nobody cares about your conspiracy bullshit.

if you want a forum without moderation, start your own

moot/hiro/the jews/7 foot tall lizard aliens/whatevs can delete any post they want if they own the board.

Well played Union Pacific, get rid of unused rails and those dumb fucks are gonna pay for it... well played indeed.

But I like BART, Oakland here :)

>They also want to remove the concrete from the LA "river" (pictured). There is zero institutional memory to know why the river was lined with concrete in the first place.
Really? Did they think to go back and look at their records? You don't pave a fucking waterway for no reason.

Maybe they should set their feelings aside when making important decisions? Oh yeah, I forgot, it's Commiefornia.

i hate this state so fucking much SO GODDAMN MUCH>:((((
we don't need more green space. i'm int he valley and i can tell you "green space" and "parks" are literally just drug meetups what the fuck.
we have so many condos and they just can't let it be.
i hate this place so much
omg

So progressive. They want to go back to this.

>it's gonna stop in every podunk village on the way, never exceeding 75 mph

Then railpac, and everyone else who endorsed prop 1A, will sue the state until compliance occurs. Which means an SF to LA run in under 165 minutes. The larger problem is ticket prices, Prop 1A requires them to be "comparable" to SF-LA flights but if the system does not turn an operational profit then the feds will revoke their loans and demand their money (current investment: $4 billion) back.

>it will NEVER ride in a vccume tub on magical levitation coild nor will it look like a dildo designed by the faggot who designed the imac g3
>translucent plastic parts for no rational purpose, curves where angles would be more efficient and gay pastel colours that no straight man can name

I'm talking about trains, not a pneumatic tube. Siemens Velaros are used all over Germany at the moment and can be manufactured in California.

You're also living without east bay electric or the key system, and will thus have to share filthy BART trains with homeless niggers forever. Imagine if we hadn't ripped pic related up, and instead had made Muni a subway instead.

Don't you just love it when the river shifts and a building collapses?

KYS commiefornians. Do you have any idea how great a paved river is?

Trump will win

VOTE TRUMP

PRAISE GEG

This is what happens when liberal arts students get put into city planning positions.

It's been proven that autistics fucking love trains, I'm positive its because of the moving parts involved.

what is your profession?

>They also want to remove the concrete from the LA "river" (pictured).
Nooo! Where will we film car chases then?!

It really is just the liberal self delusion that man, especially white man, and all his works are inherently evil and that things should be reverted back to nature isn't it?

It's weird though. For those who claim to love nature so much, they have no clue how it works. Just one glance at that picture tells me two things. First, that there isn't much water there now. Second, that it fills up with water often enough to prevent any major plants from growing in the space. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that space lazy stream to rampaging torrent in no time flat on the rare occasions where that desert does get rain. If I were to find myself in the middle of that dry riverbed during the rain, I would get to high ground so fucking fast.

When your city builds up around such a natural feature, all sorts of safety and erosion concerns are raised. So you reinforce the natural waterway with something like concrete to keep the erosion in check while also allowing you to put in measures to divert and control the flow of water.

Actually green space is important in cities because of the heat island effect and drainage.

The rail yard was probably also an eye sore brining down property values while a park increases property values.

60 million is pretty cheap for land in the city like that poor fags.

The funny thing is that those things were built by their intellectual (and in many cases literal) ancestors, most of whom were associated with the Progressive movement.

Please anons, keep telling us just exactly how fucked California is.

TOO BIG WORDS CANNOT UNDERSTAND, IGNORE POST

CALIFORNIANS ARE DUMB IGNORE THIS POST!

>In what fucking bizarro world is the la river considered navigable

mmmmm floating in a river of street runoff..

most cities sanitary sewer run into rivers.

Liberals will always find ways to waste people's money, while making money for themselves in the process.

What I mean is that government officials who have inherited this infrastructure don't know or care why it was lined with concrete.

>Kern County will be blue
Yes, Mexicans do. On Saturdays every grass field large enough to play soccer on is taken over by them. Then left in a shambles of empty drink containers and corn cobs by midday.

>make commuting to the desert easy
>thus increasing the population of an area that already doesn't have enough water

It doesn't matter. All the LA mayor has to do is come out with some soaring rhetoric about green spaces and climate change and all opposition melts away.

Dude it's going to be beautiful if the whole project goes through. Have you seen the pictures? Go live in China if you want to live In a industrial shithole .

Also I never get doubles :(

nigga we've been fracking here since before your daddy was born

>There is zero institutional memory to know why the river was lined with concrete in the first place.

um...why was it lined with concrete?

>they call out your burger orders in Spanish

erosion control. pretty fucking common.

We have those rivers here.

It's to stop flooding.

they have more than enough water, and the capability to get more. it just increases in price. they're not building more desalination plants because they don't think they're economical. if they were just worried about water they could easily build them.

lol @ making commuting around the city worse being good for the people of the city in any way. that's retarded.

lol @ the idiot circle jerk here. yeah, they just don't know, and politics is all people's opinions, like some greek democratic ideal where they're all in togas.

you both should have been born niggers.

I like when there are finally knowledgeable and passionate people on Cred Forums from time to time.

Here they managed to demolish half the old superior bridge for four times the original cost in the 30's to construct the entire bridge a tunnel and an island. Just out of control. The Bart tunnel has to have pumping capacity added every few years because of new leaks I am told also..

You deserve that.

Así os podéis ir acostumbrando a la futura lengua franca.

¡JAJAJAJAJA!

>Tfw when made that image

I won't defend CalTrans' bloated budget, but let's get some facts straight. The original bridge was $77m in 1936 which is over 1.3b today. Demo costs are

That's it California, were cutting you off.

Your drunk on water.

Why does caption of pic use term "energized" rather than "electrified"?

when /n/ comes to Cred Forums

If you've been in Cali since the Beach Boys, why did Cali go from a white wonderland to a flaming satanic asshole?

Never been to CA, don't ever want to, but any utopia inevitably does that. Good times breed weakness and stupidity, which rapidly bring an end to the good times

washington here, couldn't agree more