Here's a good question for /pol. Why do we in general hate unions? Why do republicans hate unions...

Here's a good question for /pol. Why do we in general hate unions? Why do republicans hate unions. I'm an engineer in a union, I'm 21 years old, I make about 42 an hour after taxes, get to work as much overtime as I want (I do about 72 hours a week) anything over 40 is time and a half, if I work 7 days straight it's double time and each hour on that day also counts as an hour of paid vacation. I start with a cumulative 52 days paid off per year, I get a Christmas bonus, free boots twice a year up to 200 dollars, I barely work by my defenition of labor, I get 17 an hour into medical, I get 8 an hour into an annuity. The only negatives are I pay about 15-20 dollars a week in union dues. I'm a white working class man living the upper middle class dream at 21 without a college degree. Why would any one be against this.

Bump. Even though self bumping is off.

I only hate most government unions.

Most government employees should be the easiest to fire.

But it's backwards.

The janitor at a state capital building makes triple what a privately contracted janitor makes.

It's nonsensical.

Trade-guild unions are another matter.

I actually appreciate the quality of human I've encountered when I have union-trained tradesman doing my housework.

I.e. AT&T employs people through the IBEW. Comcast gives you some nigger to fumble his way through wiring your house.

Workers organizing themselves is fine by me, as long as they are checked by certain legitimate free market principles.

Sounds like bullshit but I'm curious. How did you get the job without a degree?

The problem with unions is that I thought your post was satire while reading it.

>Sounds like bullshit but I'm curious. How did you get the job without a degree?

Building engineer maybe?

My father in law was a "field engineer" for GE. He assembled turbine generators, but he got on-the-job training.

I got into the union by going to parades for 2 years and applying, they give you a 3 year apprentice course that's 2 nights a week, and give you an apprentice job at 25 an hour, I was there 3 months until they bumped me to mechanic which is 36 an hour. It didn't hurt my dad was in the union, but plenty of guys got in through just trying.

Nobody hates the idea of unions. Some are actually good. But forcing people to join unions to work is also wrong. If a union adequately represents workers, it will attract members. If a union doesn't, it won't, and shouldn't exist.

Yes, I'm an operating engineer on long Island new york.

Unions, in small doses, are good things. They provide a way for workers to organize, protect their rights and benefits, and give them more leverage in negotiating with their employer. The problem with a lot of unions is that many have become too big and too corrupt, more concerned with filling their own coffers and influencing politicians than with the rights and needs of the actual workers. Teachers unions come to mind, which have become far more about keeping bad teachers from getting fired, than helping protect good teachers from getting shat on by school administrations or the DoEd. Or manufacturing unions which priced many of their own workers out of a job.

In short
>You can't treat the working man this way! One of these days we'll form a union, and get the fair and equitable treatment we deserve! ... Then we'll go too far, and become corrupt and shiftless, and the Japanese will eat us alive!

Man every day the Internet makes me want to learn a trade more and more. After I graduate college with my shitty degree I wanna get an apprenticeship. I should start looking now

Because those perks only apply to union members and as a result companies are forced to stiff employees in other areas to pay for your "barely working" ass.

Also the way you have driven up labor costs is what makes mass immigration and outsourcing attractive to employers.

Kys

>Why do we in general hate unions? Why do republicans hate unions.
>I only hate most government unions.

So much this reply.

Public-Union-Employee =/= Private-Union-Employee

PUE's stink

they making it sound better than it actually is

slaving away for 8-9 hrs a day with manual labor gets awful real quick .. maybe its nice for a week or 2 but the average millenial can't handle this

Guys where did the flags go?

Most things unions represent you can't outsource. You also can't pay on site people less due to Davis bacon prevailing wages shit.

>Why do republicans hate unions.
Because they use the coercive power of the state to compel people to do things. In some states you literally cannot work in an industry unless you are a part of that particular union, and paying dues.

Also public sector unions and private unions are two VERY different things.

money grubbing with a hint of communism

This. A group of people can collectively bargain without the state coercing people. The problem with unions is that they are overly empowered by the state.

Unions are 'fine', but they shouldn't be mandatory for employment.

But it's not exactly manual labor. I write down numbers a few times an hour like pressures and temps.

Did you need any prior knowledge or skills? What would you suggest for someone who wants to do the same?

rednecks here are against unions, against free education, against taxation / regulations of big corporations etc.

the whole "poor people voting against their own self-interests"-thingy sadly isnt a meme

So daddy got you in huh?

I've worked both union and non-union jobs. My biggest issue is how in some unions the non-skilled workers make up the largest part of the workforce. They tend to control the union's negotiating tactics and often look to increase their wages without consideration for the skilled trades.

In my experience, the non-skilled workers made way more than industry standard rates while the skilled trades were at or near industry standard rates. We had guys that cleaned toilets and made $25/hour.

Most unions look at everyone as equal which means they all deserve the same pay. Why should some knuckledragger who does a shit job be compensated the same amount as a skilled laborer who puts in a hard day's work? There is no room to compensate employees based on performance.

Unions also make it harder to discipline problem workers.

I did have quite a bit of relevant experience. I worked as an engineer on a ship for a year, and had been working on heavy equipment and machinery as a summer job since I was 16.

>so daddy got you in
Not exactly, no doubt it helped. Made the process much easier on me. But you can get in without family.

>I'm 21 years old, I make about 42 an hour after taxes,
Stopped reading there. Obvious bullshit.

Unions seem to me a little outdated. They rose to prominence in this country during a time with a completely different labor/economic picture. Nowadays they largely function as yet another mutual backscratching operation in the political cesspool.

All that said I would describe myself as a conservative who usually votes Republican but is not really "anti-union". I'm fine with private sector unions. A pretty small percentage of private sector employees are unionized. Nobody should have to join one just to work a certain job.

Public sector unions are the real bullshit.

Hey man we are pretty alike

I'm 20, no college degree, work at wendys, make 170k a year and my cock is about 9-10 inches.

>It didn't hurt my dad was in the union
that explains everything

Cause people buy into the kikes narrative that workers organizing against major corporations is a bad thing.

The real red pill ir organizing for a better wage against the kikery and neocon agenda.

Stay blue pilled plebs.

All unions will eventually realize citizen workers are no longer necessary and will lobby for more immigrants.

Take my union, California School Employees Association they will defend the worst employee every bit as vigorously as the best. Even more so if they have seniority. Unions have no skin in the game, its all a cash grab.

Then you should not recieve the benefits of being in the union if you dont participate in it.

"I barely work by my defenition of labor"

>look at all my cash
>look at all my perks
>I barely lift a finger
>I wonder why jobs are being outsourced
>I wonder why people think union faggots are worthless parasites?

drink bleach.

Union's have taught me to hate the word arbitration. Every time they fuck up they demand a 3rd party arbiter who is in their pockets.

>My father

unions for public sector workers are scum
here in ireland unions constantly organise strikes and demand pay increases for bus drivers and tram drivers, who don't deserve a penny more than they already get.
It cripples the country and nobody supports them. Unions are greedy scum

Because they violate free market principles. And they're all liberal organizations.

Because unions have driven millions of jobs out of America and made it too expensive for businesses to work here, and they also work like mafias and in many cases force you to pay protection money and join up or else you don't get hte job.

Unions bring justice to workers without need for government meddling. I literally see no reason for hating them.

Well its the qualifications that make the pay. If shit goes down its my responsibility to correct it, or I could end up killing people.
My unions logic for why we demand the pay we get is to decrease the divide between the upper class an us. They go with the logic, "the companies we work for still make their money off us, we just demand it isn't the 30-40% profits, and is instead the 15-20% .

You are in a workers guild not a union.

Unions can be good when they aren't corrupt and truly fight for workers rights against their corporate overlords. It's the unions that are run like the mafia and are balls deep in politics like Chicago that give them a bad name. Unions got us minimum wage, 40-hour workweeks, ended child labor, etc.

>Japanese will eat us alive!

The JAPANESE?!? Those sandal wearing goldfish tenders?!? Barsh! Flimshaw!

you left out the asinine work rules and the difficulty in firing worthless employees. that's why many of us hate unions.

if you've ever worked around that sort of union, and see how the "union types" openly try to get employees to hate the employer, and try to impede productivity, you would despise unions too.

but yeah, if not for unions we'd probably be working 70 hour weeks with no benefits like grandpa did.