Is Depression Real?

Is depression merely a front to push pills, or is there a real, identifiable cause?

After experiencing the symptoms of depression myself, I can say that the most effective treatment I ever received was exercising regularly, practising gratitude, eating right, and sleeping more. Most of my own misery is self-induced, though I'm still in the process of training my brain to think more positively.

Other urls found in this thread:

paulocoelhoblog.com/2007/07/16/daily-message-52/
joannamoncrieff.com/2014/05/01/the-chemical-imbalance-theory-of-depression-still-promoted-but-still-unfounded/
sendspace.com/file/wg4jf9
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Doesn't exist, just a bunch of pussies asking for attention.
This includes you faggot.

Fuck you, newfriend.

Depression is real and is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain, you ape.

yeah but you can feed your own depression, the amount of swines including my own friends one in particular that use anxiety or depression as a crutch disgusts me. My friend looks visibly distraught when I tell him if he stopped being a faggot of inaction he wouldn't be so depressed.

Nice source, faggot. It seems to me that in trying to be empathetic, psychologists et. al have effectively castrated people, convincing them that they cannot help themselves.

Well, your friends are clearly attention seeking faggots who haven't sought therapy.

Nothing is real. There is no spoon.

This is what I mean. Ideas have consquences, and if someone believes that they cannot do anything, they will not do anything.

It's like the parable of the elephant and the stake. When an elephant is young, it's tied to a tree that is so large, no matter how much it pulls and strains, it cannot escape until it accepts that it is hopeless, and merely gives up.

When the elephant is older, all it takes to prevent the elephant from moving is a stick as thin as a broom, and a single piece of rope, and the elephant won't move.

> paulocoelhoblog.com/2007/07/16/daily-message-52/

This is what believing depression is an illness/ is incurable seems to do to people, trapping them in their self-limiting beliefs

There are cases of depression that are not self inflicted. Not an expert, but my understanding is, that depression happens when your brain doesn't produce enough of a certain chemical. That can either be due to lack of sunlight, lack of exercise, shitty diet etc. or it can genuinely just be a brain defect that requires medical treatment.

Source? I keep hearing this 'chemical imbalance' theory thrown around, but this person doesn't seem to think there's anything to it

joannamoncrieff.com/2014/05/01/the-chemical-imbalance-theory-of-depression-still-promoted-but-still-unfounded/

Hey Keith

>Source?
None. I'm not here to write you a paper on it. Its simply my understanding of it based on what I've read and experienced. Depression seems to be caused by either
-A terrible lifestyle
-Something being wrong with how your brain functions
-Miserable life-circumstances

I see a lot of people who are depressed when they really shouldn't be. I saw a documentary once about some 50-something entrepeneur guy who had a decently succesful and fulfilled life, but he insisted on undertaking assisted suicide. Watching that documentary really changed my view on depression, thats why I simply believe that the "chemical unbalance" something kind of depression actually exists, even though its the absolute minority of cases. Most people simply either spiral into a shitty lifestyle fueled by escapism, or just inflate their everyday hardship into "depression" for the sake of pity and to be able to pass on responsability for their circumstances onto something outside of their influence.

Its real. Trust me. Severe trauma can bring on depression and it is 100% uncontrollable. You know there is something wrong nothing feels right anymore but you cant stop it. After years you begin to act on those feelings some people are lucky and snap out of it many never find their way back to normal lives. I almost killed myself and several other people.

I'm just waiting for a black or a muslim to come and end my suffering with his kind boots.

>Death of my Grandfather
>Death of my Best Friend
>Shot in the leg
>Lost my job
>lost my car
All this happened to me in 6 months and I lost my shit. I didn't want to live anymore nothing i did ever seemed to make me feel better. Doctors gave me a shit ton of pills to try and help. They didn't do shit. In the end it took me a decade of suffering and down hill sliding to get some hope back in my life. Once depression starts its like your down and the world just keeps kicking you most people just give up at some point.

The problem with mental illnesses is that a lot of these conditions are things completely normal people experience at times in their lives.

A small number of people seriously need help.... but there are a shitload who could just as easily work it out on their own by making positive changes in their lives.

We all know how people with no hardship in their life turn out, how superficial they are and how easy they crack. I hope yours has turned you into the opposite of that.

...Does people saying stuff like this actually change your perspective and cheer you up, or does it only piss you off even further because they try to romanticise your hardship? I genuinely feel bad for you but I don't know what to say in those kinds of situations.

if you are doing exercises, I suggest you increase your testosterone with it as well

sendspace.com/file/wg4jf9

Of course depression is real. Is big pharma taking advantage of that to push shitty liberal "medicine"? Yes.

Typical britcuck. Then cry in your bombed out buildings and beg for your big bad daddy across the lake to come save you from your bullies

Depression isn't real. People are just too cowardly to deal with their problems, and instead just whine about them.

Of course it is real.
But depression is mostly caused by external factors and it is completely natural. Depending on how long the situation lasts you will make the mechanisms that protect you from physical/mental harm into habits. Being very tense all the time drains resources and prevents your digestive system from working properly(sympathetic nerve system).
The pharmajew wants you to believe that 'healthy' people never feel bad, but everybody feel bad occasionally. This feeling of abnormality can actually cause stress and guilt to built inside your conscience everytime you have a bad day. Of course pills never work, you either habe to remove yourself from the negative situation or unlearn the habits you picked up along the way. Drugging yourself is absolutely idiotic.

Yes, though taking pills is not the answer.

Of course it's fucking real. That's like asking if air is real you fucking retard

I crawled tooth and nail back to some form of sanity. Slowly the depression turned into hate and I was able to use that hate to fuel enough motivation to stay alive and keep fighting. I get no real joy from life anymore. The fact is the world is a shitty place and all we can do is spit in its face as it tortures us.

Interdasting parable!
Depression for sure is real, we are modern apes living on an overpopulated ball of dirt with resources starting to run out. Most of our time is spent fornicating, shitting, eating and sleeping. If you can make more out of it than that it alleviates the depression a bit, pills rarely help anyone over the long run but they do line the pockets of the pharmacist ape allowing them to live a better life.

Double dubs of absolute truth and knowledge.

This is exactly what I mean.
You are not 'clinically depressed' or sick. You are rightfully sad about bad things that happened and were out of your control. Mourning the death of someone close to you can very easily last a year or more. There was a reason people used to wear black to show they were grieving in the past, it is a lot crazier nowadays you are supposed to get over it and move on so quickly.

No it was far more than being sad. It was more like being dead and still going to work every day. Nothing brought me any joy I felt nothing there was no longer any meaning to life and every time something happened it was just another kick to the ground keeping me from ever getting back to normal. If I was sad I would simply have cried and got on with life. This was as if life itself just kept conspiring to keep me down. Sadness is how I felt for a decade it was utter hopelessness.

I was so depressed I went into a clinic, basically meds didn't really do anything, what helps is sport, but then again I wasn't horribly depressed, but the people I met there I don't know, lots of it has to do with attitude and giving up or something. Lots of "I can't do this" thinking going on.