MTV's Short Film American Male Examines How Gender Stereotypes Hurt Men

>When’s the last time you were told to just “be a man”? How did that make you feel? American Male, a short film by MTV, shows how gender norms about masculinity drive men into violent, self-destructive lives.

>Directed by Michael Rohrbaugh for the MTV Look Different competition, the five-minute film follows a young man as he crushes beers with typical “bro” friends, lifts weights, and eventually erupts in violence against a younger man. All the while, the young man recites all the things that women and men are “supposed” to do.

>“Order beer not wine,” he says. “And beef not chicken. Never light beer though. And not tofu. Never tofu. Can’t get more gay than tofu.”

>The list of restrictions goes on to include clothing, professions, and hobbies.

>By the end, the young man is disillusioned with his own identity as he tries desperately to live up to his own gender.
youtube.com/watch?v=zJ-Pyhk7GQA

What happened to MTV?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ftEs0HqCV6s
youtu.be/RWMtss0u3Ns?t=689
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon's_razor
google.com/amp/amp.www.complex.com/pop-culture/2016/09/goat-movie-review-nick-jonas?client=safari
youtube.com/watch?v=LI6U_W2usxA
youtube.com/watch?v=vLqHv0xgOlc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>What happened to MTV?
lol what do you mean what happened? It's always been like that.

Wow man, ordering beer and not wine, and beef not chicken. Such a fucking struggle, amirite?

nothing gay about a brojob dude just getting that protein, no homo

>When was the last time you were told Just Be A Man

A couple of days ago by a feminist who wanted me to defend her from valid criticism of her poor work performance by a male.

Masculinity is bad, goy. You need to get more in touch with your feminine side!

Cred Forumsacks
B T F O
T
F
O

>MTV
uh racist and sexist much??????????????

>feeing a bit ill
>wavering on going to the gym
>colleague tells me to man up and go
>end up breaking a month long bench plateau

Thanks patriarchy!

Masculinity makes men happy. It's peer pressure which doesn't because that is submission to another man's masculinity. If a man has a strong sense of his own masculinity they will live a happy life.

Wtf is wrong with wine?

>Michael Rohrbaugh
>Michael Rohrbaugh’s work engages viewers by way of the gut, the heart, and the head. Harnessing media as tool for change, his team’s latest PSA champions global gay rights and helps drive donations to The Russia Freedom Fund, a charity supporting Russia’s LGBT community. Released online two days before The Sochi Winter Olympics, the piece quickly went viral, receiving over 1 million views and 5,000+ comments. Worldwide press included The Huffington Post, Luerzer’s Archive, RT, The Advocate, and PolicyMic.

A homo trying to deconstruct masculinity. Huh. Isn't there a "why does Cred Forums hates gays" thread floating around?

faggot

the left hates everything masculine. i cant even read about football online without libshit writers telling me how dangerous and corrupt it is while they love fucking soccer while fifa literally enslaves people

>And not tofu. Never tofu. Can’t get more gay than tofu
this is 100% truth

don't fall for the estrogen jew

It's for womyn

>Muh stereotypes
Who fucking cares, if you're a man you'll live how you want

There's different cultures throughout history defining masculinity.

The director decided that Irish Potatoniggery is the sole defining masculine culture in the world.

Frats =/= Male identity

Remember that patriarchy hurts men too! Men force toxic masculinity on all other men, when they could just be themselves, in touch with their feminine side.

>Harnessing media as tool for change
No right-wingers are crazy when we say the left is out to control the media.

This wants made because someone cared about white males, its because jews want to push narrative that white men are weak

Professional sports is pure Jewery.

>Can’t get more gay than tofu
Tofu doesn't even taste good
Nothing. Cheap beer is just easy to drink

fpbp

I wonder if he gets support from George Soros

Sorry i forgot that "wine" in the USA is just scented tap water with chem in it, like everything there. I don't think that beer is any better to be honest

MTV? The channel that had such shows as Jackass, beavis and butthead, and Daria.

They broadcast stupid guy stunts that could have gotten people killed and now they bitch about gender stereotypes??

It's fine Italy, it's only Americans being American.

Fuck man, why is not breaking down into an emotional wreck seen as terrible. Most times you're told to man up, it means to stop bitching and solve whatever problem you have instead of expecting someone else to.

Some Jews went full frankfurt

The dude he is peaking at throughout the video is sexy as fuck.

>Eating chicken and drinking wine is unmasculine

Literally never heard this before. I would laugh in someone's face if they tried to tell that to me.

Lamb > Beef

I think the biggest problem with these whackjobs is that they think it's a coincidence that in almost every society to ever exist men have typically followed a very similar pattern of values and social cues. These types of men are a result of what women will be attracted to and nothing more. If you could change what makes women tingle, you could change how men behave. All shit like this serves to accomplish is to make sure men die alone or get married to a used up harpie who won't fuck you. We're now shaming what it is to be a male just like how we shamed women who like to raise children. I don't like where this is going one bit.

Same senpai. I drink wine all the fucking time.

Beef > lamb

Lamb is shit-tier...

The only time anyone's ever told me to be a man was when some bitch on Facebook was trying to goad me into an abortion argument. I called her a cunt and that I didn't owe her anything and that was that. MTV sure is making a lot of money off of things people really don't say, though. It's like people interact with tv shows instead of people.

hello ahmed

I like dressing up as a girl sometimes

It's funny. I was in a fraternity in college, basically what they're trying to stereotype here. And none of this shit happened.

Some people lifted weights. Some didn't. Some people dranka shit load of beer. Some didn't. Some people ate beef, some tofu. Each guy did whatever he wanted because no one cared how they lived their lives. Just do what you want, bro.

And interestingly, the only times I can remember someone telling me to "man up" or "be a man" or whatever, it was coming from a pissed off woman trying to manipulate me.

white people live in rich countries where chicken to them is as cheap as potatoes.
asians consider beef to be the food of royalty, not food for men only

wine is for pretentious fags

unlike craft beers and hipster beards

They hate masculinity because they hate everything that it's not easy to control.
Typical masculine behaviours like proudness or dominance are difficult to control. When they talk about "toxic" masculinity, they are right because it is toxit for their narrative and goals

Sturgeon>lobster>lamb>scallops>pork>beef>chicken>eel> turkey>>>sole
No

>it means to stop bitching and solve whatever problem you have instead of expecting someone else to
This is how women, in general, solve problems, because they usually have a man around to solve it for them. You can see this in the way men and women complain about their problems. When a man complains, he's looking for solutions to the problem rather than just seeking empathy. When a woman complains, she just wants empathy. This is why when a woman complains to a man, the man will often try to offer solutions to her problem (because he thinks she actually wants to solve the problem). This will usually make the woman bitchy, because she's not looking for solutions. She just wants to complain.

And now we have women projecting themselves on men, thinking that men want to be emotional wrecks and never solve their problems, and so they blame the patriarchy for not allowing men to do that.

No white male. Every frat is like this.

youtu.be/ftEs0HqCV6s

Listen and believe.

Jew, by Jew, by Jew!! The white Man marches On!

"Eat beef not chicken," who the fuck says chicken is not masculine? Bodybuilders practically live off the shit.

Anyway I don't see why these leftist are always attacking social norms, I mean whats the point? Every culture has them, and socialization effect everyone and about every aspect of our lives. If we didn't have the current "standards" for male masculinity, I'm sure there would be other ones to replace them.

and also if you honestly would resort to not eating tofu because you found it unmasculine, or any other arbitrary thing mentioned in the video you're a pussy.

Only been told to man up when I wasn't doing what a woman told me to do and it was a woman who said it to me.

Are they sure this is a patriarchy problem? Because I can't even recall a time outside a movie of a guy telling another to man up.

>It's always been like that.
millennial detected
mtv, believe it or not, once showed music, not reality tv

I love how feminism thinks they have the solution to men's problems to
>what's that men face more suicide rates then women?
>why it's the patriarchy's fault ofc!
>men should be more like women
>masculinity just makes you hate yourself!
>everyone should hate masculinity!

I need advice Cred Forums this shit infuriates me to no end and I know for a fact i'm not changing. I wasn't pressured to not like dick, I dont, I don't cry just because and hug my friends and share moments, that shits weak. I'm upset that little by little its just gonna be bitch ass numales running around hugging it out and people like us are probably a dying breed, if I have a son i'd probably be a bitch to raise him with the traditional values my pop has.

luckily i'm hispanic though, and our culture hates this shit with a passion, at least in our 3rd world shitholes. Even we are getting infected by it though, with this new "latinx" shit that these millennials are pushing.

Obligatory Sam Hyde.
youtu.be/RWMtss0u3Ns?t=689

Don't fall for the estrogen Jew.

>This is why when a woman complains to a man, the man will often try to offer solutions to her problem (because he thinks she actually wants to solve the problem). This will usually make the woman bitchy, because she's not looking for solutions. She just wants to complain.

This is true

The only people I hear say, be a man, are women when they hear men talking about social issues facing men

Until we need you to feed our War Machine.. Then you better strap them Nuts back ON!!

That hazing stuff always seemed really gay to me

Every guy that I know who doesn't want to be a "man" and does what feminists say never gets pussy ever.

My dad thinks a relationship is an equal partnership and he's 100% whipped.

There are so few male feminists because men know what it takes to get laid

Marxist Feminism asserts Masculinity is the Bourgeoise element holding down the Proletariat females.

Just like regular Marxism, the solution becomes "Once everyone is nothing, nobody is on top".

'Member Boy George? Oh I 'member!

my jimmies are rustled right now

>I'm kidding my jimmies are literally turned inside out on a molecular scale at the moment

it is no longer a conspiracy. white men are being targeted for destruction. a world without white men though, will be a very bad place

>if I have a son i'd probably be a bitch to raise him with the traditional values my pop has.

Homeschooling isn't illegal yet.

>Even we are getting infected by it though, with this new "latinx" shit that these millennials are pushing.

This IS a huge problem. The Mexican middle class worships European politics. It'll start being the norm in a few years.

yea you can "enjoy" life and do what this (((film))) tells you to do

but you are acting also like a child with this behavior, not because the act hasnt manly things in it, but the fact you lack rest of actions that fully devolped man requires. and no, i m not talking about you need to be passive, loving or understanding like a faggot, like often women tell you to be. i start to understand now, an american culture isnt what you see in this clip, this is just kikewoods protrayal to make you forget the important things, what it really means to be american

you work out, you eat right, you protect your rights, you look at the days of old and you find ways to improve, your body and your mind. great minds of the far past are the ones to follow

They still do in the morning

You shouldn't assume hostile intentions with everything. It's rarely the right answer.

It's better to assume that they're simply stupid. A lot of these people actually believe that "toxic" masculinity hurts men, and want to get rid of it for that reason. There's a lot of projection going on, and they simply don't understand men.

Be liberal with the use of Hanlon's razor. Most people aren't malicious. They're stupid.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon's_razor

>My dad thinks a relationship is an equal partnership and he's 100% whipped.

Patrice was right. It's a company and a woman should only get tenure after years of service.

There's nothing wrong with wine. Some young teenage American guys will call it a woman's drink. Their opinion means nothing.

Do Americans really do that? smack each others buts with a bat? is this American tradition?

Maybe if half the people in the world didn't live in an area smaller than the size of North America you would have room for cows

>all those upvotes

Not typical for a MTV youtube video.

Don't act like you've never been smacked in the ass with a boomerang Straya.

Tofu has phytoestrogens in it and literally kills gains

I'll just leave this here
google.com/amp/amp.www.complex.com/pop-culture/2016/09/goat-movie-review-nick-jonas?client=safari

youtube.com/watch?v=LI6U_W2usxA

It all right, pol brethren..... Every few decades or so, there is a shift, Just as a pendulum swings back and forth.. I think we've nearly come to the end of this swing and it's gone SO far this time, that I believe when it swings back to the Right it's gonna decapitate all the Kikes, Niggers and all the pussy white-boys that try and stand in the way of said pendulum..

>MTV
>"""Examines"""
>doing any type of Investigative journalism
Discarded right there

ok this unironically made me think. have i been subverted?

>When’s the last time you were told to just “be a man”?
Never, because I'm not a faggot who needs to be told.

True, but I was just making a point that if you refuse to do something you enjoy because you're afraid of other people's perception, then society is not the problem, you just have insecurity issues

I do what the fuck I want. Because thats what being a man is about. Just doing whatever the fuck you want. Someones got a problem and they can take it up with me.

Stop oppressing his inner gay. Let him do whatever he wants.

Ayyy

>s this American tradition?

unfortunately it is. it's in our constitution

I hear it is getting less and less common every year.

> what happened?

mtv doesnt seem to understand that real men arent disturbed by small comments like women

Can you explain why there'd be such a coordinated movement in the first place? Look at the people who find the programs who promote these things. These are not stupid people

I just wish we would stop worrying about the jew bogeyman and focus all our efforts on defeating feminism.
inb4
>but user the Jews are behind feminism too!
>look at my shitty inaccurate infographic that I got from stormcunt!

I've actually spent hours contemplating this and the only answer I can come up with is: We have to start our own church.

>Press N to hear more

Why doesn't israel fight the shitskins?

Oh...wait...Europe and burgers will do that for them.

>Women hate each other and are constantly bickering between each other
>"Gay" men do the same (By gay I mean faggots - Limp wrist, forced lisp, etc.)
>Men don't give a fuck what other men do unless it gets in the way of them getting laid and men leave each other alone
I honestly think shit like this is just made up garbage to break men up and make us hateful and mistrustful of each other like women are.

times have changed buddy, this isnt the 50s - the USA has better wine AND pizza than italy

That shou;dn't be titled "American Male" but rather "Insecure Male".

>00:56
Protein, not even once.
Now really, i dont about you guys but those are some solid guidelines to not be a huge faggot.

A complicated question deserves a simple answer.

im curious why leftis have such scorn for men like this, who are victims of pressure frm societal norms yet they have nothing but sympathy and acceptance for women experiencing the same pressures

Wine is for pussies and old people, and women.

Real men drink beer, preferably a case per night.

>>When’s the last time you were told to just “be a man”?

Never, because I already act like one

>As an american who moved to Iceland, where gender equality is the highest in the world, and gender roles are not so strict (or toxic) it was amazing to see how differently men behave. Surely I can go to the gym and find the dude-bro covered in tattoos, but more often than not, they aren't afraid to be soft spoken, or to knit, or any other "non masculine" activity.

>It's really illuminating just how strictly american culture enforces gender roles, going to another country where the genders are allowed to just "be" how they are.

Jesus Christ I hope this a meme

>t.shitty4-5%alcoholdrinker

Excuse me while I drink extravagence

In the constitution? lol you can't be serious... what part of the constitution?

The film maker is a faggot and decided to live out his fetish for a few days because those situations don't happen any more, because people like him feminised men.

Put them on the list.

The guy in OP's picture looks like the type of pathetic beta male who has to built himself up physically to compensate for the fact that he was bullied severely in middle school or that Uncle Rick fucked him up psychologically by fingering his testicles every Sunday for a few years.

Embracing the blue-collar, muscles-over-mind ethos is retarded and niggerish.

>beer over wine

Yes, I'm sure that the whites of European civilization didn't drink wine 400 years ago.

>clothing

Let me guess, he believes that dressing up like a nigger or like an unemployed dockworker (shit-covered boots, low-class-scum work jeans covered in holes, and a wife-beater) is the only masculine approach to clothes.

This is typical Judeo-Bolshevik b8 meant to divide and conquer whites along class lines and to make white women feel even more alienated from the men of their race. The more stupid and brutish white men are made to seem by the Jewish media, the more white women will see nigger bucks and white men as equals, making the former more attractive as potential partners.

yep, men should not care about muscles. the weaker and skinnier the better imo.

*build

A man is sexually mature male (with penis). It's purely biological definition by genes. Everything else: clothing, hair, make-up, way of thinking is a trend. No such thing as woman with penis or male sexual organs.

>t. A pussy

Summer is fucking over

>implying I said that

>muh dik
>muh gains!
>muh sports

All right, Tyrone.

I honestly don't give a fuck. These types of trivial issues are used by leftists to divide white men and exploit insecurities and differences in lifestyle preferences.

Why is this guy telling me about being a man?

Wait? You just realized that MTV has been like this? You like 30 years to late bro.

But i thought they were supposed to be stronk and independent now? Or is that only as long as they still get given everything they want for free?

nothing, wine has been around since the dawn of time

This. The fuck happened. Not even talking about mtv """"""""""news""""""""""

first the jews promote destructive stereotypes through their media and education, gangster rap, satanism, sex, drugs and rock and roll. then the jews flips it on its head and says those are typical gender roles and that instead of all that a man should also wear womens clothes and eat tofu

Nothing wrong with blending in and pretending you are normal.
I am seen as a playboy type by most of my co-workers.
Little do they now that I am full blown degenerate and fuck ladyboys all the time.

MTV is like the kikes unabashedly showing their hand of cards and being like "fuck you goyim, what are you going to do about it". They don't even try to hide the subversion.

Feminism is a conduit for Jewish Supremacism; it, therefore, only exists to destabilize target societies and populations - whites in particular.

Feminism's main purpose is to artificially drive down white birth rates below replacement levels, of course opening the door to the next (((Globalist))) step of inviting endless non-European mass immigration until white peoples are finally demographically compromised, displaced and destroyed; the other major objective is to saturate the market with a theoretical 50% increase of the total working population, driving down the 99%'s wages and, again, filling the (((Globalist's))) pockets.

Consequently, non-Jewish Feminists are simply highly temporary useful idiots, who will soon find themselves in an extremely precarious situation, one way or the other:
youtube.com/watch?v=vLqHv0xgOlc

>Just like regular Marxism, the solution becomes "Once everyone is nothing, nobody is on top".

And, of course, "nobody being on top" doesn't actually mean there won't be (((someone))) on top, naturally.

Of course you wish """we""" would stop worrying about the """""""""jew bogeyman""""""""", since wasting time on a symptom (Feminism being the tip of the iceberg) of a far greater problem is standard operation procedure for Jews to slow down the gentiles' historical response.

The end result is a global caste of "sub-human" slaves who will be too cognitively inferior to ever be able to reverse the vicious cycle.

You'll understand, soon enough.

>he lifts weights
>beef not chicken

Do some fucking fact checking, cunts.

>Can't get more gay than tofu
He's right

When are you going to man up and settle for that single mom who had 10miles of cock in her collège years and support her kang baby

Don't listen to them, just americans being idiots again.
They think wine is effeminate or something. Yet they drink their beer that taste like water but whatever

>better wine than Italy
HAHAHAHHAHA no.

American Psycho already tastefully made the same movie. You just have to pay attention to Bale's performance to pick up on it.

>Boohoo I'm a college frat douche who takes sterons and drinks beer
Fucking hell man

>italian
>Wtf is wrong with wine?
being this insecure about your own taste, you are worse than these faggot generalizing amerifats, and yes its kind of a pussy drink

PÁLINKA IS THE ULTIMATE DRINK
if you dont agree with me you're a cuck

>Be a fag goy

Scoffing down a bucket of KFC and some goon right now, like a good femboi. Don't hit on me, silly alpha males ;)