SPACEX TESTS INTERPLANETARY ENGINE

IT'S HAPPENING

>SpaceX propulsion just achieved first firing of the Raptor interplanetary transport engine
>Raptor is the first large scale LNG rocket engine to be built in the world, and the first staged-combustion engine ever built in the United States
twitter.com/elonmusk/status/780275236922994688/photo/1

Mars colony soon, lads.

Other urls found in this thread:

wired.com/2006/06/ufo-hacker-tells-what-he-found/amp/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fission-fragment_rocket
makezine.com/projects/make-36-boards/nuclear-fusor/
iter.org/mach
youtube.com/watch?v=Ndpxuf-uJHE
google.com/search?q=uranium price
m.youtube.com/watch?v=QrWVDtQgf28
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_thermal_rocket
pedestrianobservations.wordpress.com/2013/08/13/loopy-ideas-are-fine-if-youre-an-entrepreneur/
sciencealert.com/independent-scientists-confirm-that-the-impossible-em-drive-produces-thrust
youtube.com/watch?v=vnDeX5EMy88
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Same Test

>50's technologies.

>LNG
Liquid Nerd Gas?

I knew I'd find this post.

I knew it would be a Russian.

KeK, so lame... this engine needs fuel
Noobs...

>Spacex explodes during refueling
>Spaceex interplanetary engine
Yeah no.

yawn. wake me up when we really start innovating.

fake n gay

>still no fusion
>still no anti-matter
>still no nuclear propulsion
>still no black hole energy

how the fuck am I suppose to explore the galaxy?

>implying reactionless engines will ever get things off of Earth' surface

>still uses re-purposed ICBM from the 50s
kek

>93% success rate

>literally rocket science

>stay mad

There should be different vehicles for interplanetary travel than reaching escape velocity from Earth. We need a space dock to construct a proper interplanetary vessel. Probably need a moon mining base before we can get a solid space dock going.

can we leave the jews and the fanatics behind finally?

me after eating indian food

We need something larger than a tiny capsule too. and what if we talked with aliens and shit?

Only feasible way to travel the solar system. Chemical rockets are basically useless

>Using shit like this
>When we already have antigravity ships and a space fleet
What's the point of all this?
wired.com/2006/06/ufo-hacker-tells-what-he-found/amp/
>I also got access to Excel spreadsheets. One was titled "Non-Terrestrial Officers." It contained names and ranks of U.S. Air Force personnel who are not registered anywhere else. It also contained information about ship-to-ship transfers, but I've never seen the names of these ships noted anywhere else.

Will never be cheap because manufacturing nukes is so expensive.

All we need are some aliens maaan.

Highest chamber pressure of any engine
Self pressurizing fuel
Ridiculous thrust (1/2 of an F-1)

It's pretty amazing
Y'all better watch the presentation at the IAC on Tuesday!

No we dont

This is correct

We've known how to get to mars since the late 60s

We could have done it in the 80s

It's just a matter of cost. As simple as that.

>3MN of thrust (F-1 was 6.8MN)
>382 specific impulse
>higher chamber pressure than rd-180
>two sizes, one presumably for new falcon 9 upper stage engine and the other for BFR
My dick is rock solid tbqh

No we fucking don't. We could have done Mars in the 60's if we really fucking wanted to.

>t. Owner of copy of Das Mars Projekt by Wernher von Braun

You forgot, 14ft diameter nozzle
F1 was 13

>ready for mars colonisation
>forced to send equal amounts of minorities

Fuck that shit

>Implying that shit would work
Ion engines for life.

lord trump will take us all to mars on glorious spacex lng

that sounds like for an upper stage engine bell only

But where is proofs?

Well, there will definitely be some international cooperation

However, musk is a goddamn American. People asked him why he wants an American flag to be planted first on mars, and he replied - "would you rather have china's flag on mars first"? it makes the noggin churn.

Also, the dildorocket is gonna be sweeeeeeeet

in all reality though,,, Ion engine are the way to go if we want to get anywhere anytime soon.

If decades of sci-fi have taught us anything, it's that any time you try to get rid of an undesirable socio-ethnic group by forcing them to go to a colony or ditch them on what's left of Earth, they always end up becoming a bitter superpower and cause an interplanetary war. Better to put them on space barges and then vent the ships on the sly if you're going to go that route.

>Soviet rocket engines from the '50s far superior than anything America came up with on their own
kek

Yerp.

The entire CoDominium / Falkenberg series of books should be required reading desu

Pournelle is one smart dude

see
This engine leapfrogs 4 generations of Russian engine tech in a single go.

Technology won't save us, we'll just spread our problems across the galaxy, ruining planet after planet, acting like a virus.

I'm surprised people are this blue pilled about the soviet and american space programs.

It was German scientist from ww2 that kickstarted both. The Russians couldn't start shit on their own.

in before...

Richard Branson develops the mars system faster than Nasa and gets to personally be the first human to step foot on another planet

>Ion engines on a manned mission
you know how low their thrust is right?

The main designer of this engine was designing engines in his spare time at work. His boss told him to stop wasting time on useless crap like that

Then Elon poached him, cause he saw how invested he was into engine design

Now his 10 year long hobby project has come to fruition (yes this is the same rocket he was designing in his free time)

THAT must be a good feeling

meme drive is the future

Saturn sent humans, falcon doesn't.

Branson is just a meme at this point
Jeff Bezos cucked him out of his only potential space market already

It will in 2018

>It was German scientist from ww2 that kickstarted both
>The Russians couldn't start shit on their own
>The Americans couldn't start shit on their own
Pick two and only two

It was Russian scientists that came up with a design for a closed cycle engine decades ago, the Americans thought that such a thing was impossible. Don't let your jingoism get in the way of acknowledging than the Soviets had superior rocket engine designs.

Soon we shall build our empire brothers.
Praise be to Kek!

Yeah, Branson is kinda ded right now. At least the recent flight tests are going well..

Bezos, though...
He has more billions than Elon, many many more billions. About 70 billions, to be exacts.

That's a lot of dosh.

the dragon capsule is supposed to take its first crew to orbit in a little more than a year.

The Soviet had (have) superior metallurgy and welding skills.

Heck we had to buy titianium from them to build the blackbirds

Better engines came as a result

ya but bezos's new ventures have been killing the washington post and opening amazon book stores. he's fucking boring. efficient, but boring

he had to buy titanium from them because thats physically where it is located on earth.

not because of any mythical welding skills

I still think this dream of man leaving the earth is a far off fantasy.
What's next, replacing horses?

Well, they couldn't weld titanium very well at all, but that's besides the point

liquified natural gas, don't have the Google in lithuania?

>sending people to the moon with computers weaker then calculators in 50's
>still cannot fix exploding rockets

Make Mars Great Again

that looks like my mixtape

>It will in 2018

November 11, 2015 Research and Development Institute of Power Engineering named Dollezhal (part of "Rosatom" GK) has successfully completed the testing of a nuclear installation process reactor vessel for spacecraft.
In late June, "Keldysh Center" has committed itself to build the end of 2018 a nuclear power ground prototype installation megawatt-class [120] designed to fly in deep space, including the Moon and Mars

Watch out for that asteroid!

>w-we will replace Soyuz!

Forgive me, this may sound very dumb, but couldn't we just use something similar to a weather balloon?

>liftoff
>slowly float to high altitude
>okay start engines
>profit????

We could cut the distance to escape earth in half, right?

From what I hear, Musk will be unironically buying a nuclear reactor to send to Mars for his colony.

>why is r7/soyuz more reliable when it's had 100x more flights than falcon?

getting altitude is the easy part

>Elon Musk literally invented the kamehameha
>Elon Musk is literally making anime real

>post yfw they hit the glass dome and none of this matters

>We need a space dock to construct a proper interplanetary vessel.

A "proper" vehicle isn't whats economically optimized & what works.

Nukes are extremely cheap and likely cheaper than methane or RP-1 for unit of energy with some mass production.

>to send to Mars for his colony.
How much money he ask for this time?

>Nukes are extremely cheap

Orion is outdated, and it was only ever a thought exercise paper concept in any case. Major engineering problems like "how do you stop the buffer plate vaporising", and the political impossibility of (openly) launching a shitload of nuclear weapons, were simply ignored. The latest thinking along such lines looks much more promising, although again it's mostly theoretical at this point :
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fission-fragment_rocket

you are now aware the uranium fissile material is about as rare as gold.

>Still 100% dependent on the Soyuz rocket system to get man into space.
>The most reliable manned launch delivery system.
>The cheapest method to getting someone in space
>Still 100% reliant on Russian engines to get into space your own military satellites

That's some cosmic level cuckoldry son.

>yfw they've been colonizing it for years and now they just decided to release this info

China's manned launch system is technically safer

Look at all those space tourists lining up to test it.

uranium is 30 dollars a lb...

No.

>why aren't there tourists flying in a military space program?

Will this explode on the tarmac too?

thermal nuclear rockets were built and tested by the US in the ?60's?. I think it was the Minerva program. Not going to google it.

Ion rockets have great specific impulse but low (read tiny) thrust. Nuclear thermal rockets can have massive thrust - the same range as chemical, but with much higher specific impulse - not as good specific impulse as ion though.

AFAIK speed is the main problem, but the balloon would also have to be absurdly large to lift a rocket.

One book at a time :(

>No.

????
Uranium is 30 dollars a lb, thats its current price, it is not rare at all.

NTR's have terrible thrust to weights, and the ones tested in the 60's had radioactive exhausts, probably could be fixed & improved, but theres noone working on them so w/e.

>still no fusion
Good news everyone we have (technically) had fusion for years, you can even build your own reactor that fits on a worktop in the form of a Farnsworth Fusor.
makezine.com/projects/make-36-boards/nuclear-fusor/

The hard part has proven to be getting net positive energy output. There's reason to be hopeful that this is mostly a matter of scale though, on paper ITER should be the first to achieve it (once various really hard engineering problems like "what the fuck do we make the reactor walls out of" are solved.)
iter.org/mach

The soviets came up with the closed cycle because they lacked the ability to make large liquid fuel engine.

Hence the saturn v only had 5 engines vs the Soviet moon rocket, which the closed cycle engine was designed for, had 30 engines in its first stage. The Russians needed efficiency more than the us, they invested in it and their process of trial by design worked.

Also, the US only took 2500 or so German scientist from paper clip, the soviets took nearly 10000. But both countries had fairly developed rocket programs before the end of the war, the Russians undoubtably benefitted more from the German war booty.

Post some sources of that you nigger

We need a reason for actually going to mars.

Should be working on terraforming.

We can experiment on Australia. If we could turn that inhospitable wasteland into lush greenery, I could afford a fucking house.

>We need a reason for actually going to mars.
youtube.com/watch?v=Ndpxuf-uJHE

google.com/search?q=uranium price

>rogue black hole detected coming to our solar system
>will get here in weeks
>we don't have the technology to get far enough away from it in time to preserve our species
>literally stuck sitting around for weeks knowing there's no fucking hope whatsoever for the human race

Hmm. The thrust to weight was probably only due to their being static fired engines. From what I remember there was not much to them. They just pushed liquid hydrogen down graphite tubes. The graphite was the moderator of the reactor.

Radioactive exhaust? Well they did discover early on the hydrogen dissolved the graphite at those temperatures. They later figured out to plate metal down the graphite to keep it intact.

But even so, you are in space man. I don't think that engine is really going to influence the background radiation.

I must have missed the part where uranium yellowcake could "suddenly" be used in bombs

That stuff can be made by an amateur chemist in a garage from a bit of uranium ore

There's really only one important property in rocket fuel: energy density (mass density, not so much volume). On that count, methane gives far less bang for the buck than, say, liquid hydrogen.

This is important because methane is *cheap*. Unfortunately, you now need way more of it to carry its own weight into orbit.

>elon musk

Meme.

So not safe enough for civilians apparently. Soyuz costs 30 million a launch and they are charging 70 million a seat. That's a monoply on space travel right there. That shit is more capitalistic than Space X.

Right, and one can just buy enriched uranium on the open market?

I think congress just passed an appropriations bill for travel to mars.

they havent built anything at 1:1 scale yet and 2/3 things explode. they are retracing nasas road map and have a lower budget. dont expect anything that will even get to the moon from spacex

I don't think the ore is reactor-ready...

No. In 1992 the Grateful Dead had to buy the Olympic basketball team uniforms. They were pretty cool though.

Reactor grade uranium is literally 1000x easier to make than bomb-grade uranium too, and it is still outrageously expensive.

>chemical propellant

Useless. You're massively increasing the energy requirements to get it into space, and after that you're looking at 8 year missions just to get to Mars.

The EM Drive appears to work. Why is SpaceX wasting time building 50 year old technology?

NTRs have outstanding specific impulse, far better than liquid fuel. This makes them much better for operation in a vacuum as your top speed possible will always be half the specific impulse.

They don't make sense for first stages, but they were looked at for Mars+ manned missions because they are better for that profile than liquids.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=QrWVDtQgf28 Check 15:10

SpaceX fakes as much as nasa does

Even if the EM drive works it will never be able to lift rockets off the ground.

The volume is very much relevant
LH2 kinda sucks and there is a reason why SpaceX is avoiding it.

Wait does this engine work in space?

arstechnica.com has some really good articles on the state of NASA. They seem to argue that the entire NASA budget is bullshit. The massive SLS rocket is going to cost so much money per launch that there will be no money left over to do any missions.

It may be left to Bezos and spacex to make things affordable enough for any practical mission to be launched.

Besides NASA wants a glory mission. 100% safe. Land some dude and bring him home. Fuck that noise. Lets get off this rock.

oh, god, you're right. Fucking tragic.

>LNG
It's actually a Methane-LOX engine. Although the majority of LNG is methane, there's a distinct difference.

Blue Origin's New Glenn will use LNG for its first two stages, but not SpaceX's.

>doesn't know what camera auto-focus is
>expects to be taken seriously

All rocket engines technically work in space

Squares vs rectangles m8, and they both use Methane

The food is shit. That said, you're a fucking pleb. I'll never understand people who joke like this. Like your diet must be so bland that you shit your pants every time you eat a bell pepper.

Does this picture make your butthole clench?

Nuclear can be used far more effectively, Like nuclear thermal rockets, which are an old concept. But never tested in space thanks to hippies not wanting to send nuclear powered ships into space because of the marginal possibility of it exploding.

As far as i know, in terms of power it fits between chemical and ion engines nicely.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_thermal_rocket

>Mars colony soon
do you really want to export diversity into space?

only in air and underwater, sorry man

Space colonies will have lower standards of living for the first century or so and no gibs. I don't think diversity is going to want to go(nor could most of them afford it if they did want to go).

they work really well, except for zuck the cuck.

>not knowing that you don't type implying after meme arrows
>thinking that reactionless engines can even physically exist

We actually did that a lot in the 50s/60s. The balloon would carry the rocket up on a gimbled gantry and fire it from there. Our first satellite assassin rockets were of this design.

Brandson is also playing it safe, hasn't got huge space ambitions like the other billionaire in the rocket club.

Brandson's endgame is probably turning space x into a sub-orbital flight company with bases around a few major cities, and 1-2 hour flight times to anywhere in the world.

He wants the ultimate executive airline, not to put his ships into space, let alone mars.

The camera getting dark at the beginning is normal, yes, but it stays dark even when the rocket is gone. When the camera switches to a far away point its still dark. Announcer said sun set several minutes ago. So its not a camera issue. First scene was probably exited the right way making it dark. Then after the cut some other guy takes the work, sees its dark in the previous work and keeps it that way. Than the announcers had to go with it

I have like 10 g of pure Uranium Oxide in crystal form...how hard to you think it is to get pure U? Did you not take college chemistry?

Remember, no black people

they won the god damn bronze, too

Nah. My shitty paint skills show what can happen.

I dnno if they will be going anywhere with their shit.
So far they are just in the experimenting stage, and they killed a pilot... why would they have pilots in their experimental vehicles?

Has the musk ever talked about Israel?
probably why he purposely sabotaged Cuckerbergs satellite

But it's easy to underestimate how difficult a manned mission to mars would be. Earth to the moon is ~239,000 miles.
Earth to Mars, at the next most favourable opposition on July 27th 2018, is 35,800,000 miles - about *150 times* further.
We have theories on how to have the humans not die on the way there from radiation, and then survive on the surface long-term and/or return, but they would have to be proven with experiments on unmanned missions first. You're correct that survival on the barren oxidising radiation desert that is Mars would be just barely possible at tremendous cost, but it's just not worth it based on what we know currently. It makes a million times more sense to colonise earth's oceans / depths and Antarctica first, then the moon, then probably near-earth asteroid mining.

>Never heard of asteroid mining, the one actual use for fuel in the Solar System?

Also what makes you think they are stopping with propane?? Picture a flying scanner on a large ship that sends down drones in order to shave nuclear fuel from the millions of large rocks orbiting us only a few years of travel away!

Musk has said 10 years till people are there

this may be the most retarded youtube channel i've encountered

I think they should send large probes with serious drilling equipment first just to see what its under the surface. Unless theres some profit to be made the travel is useless.

Shurely they wont find oil there (lol) but at least they could see if there are any valuable metals.

One alternative would be to construct a set of large probes that could attach to the roids and push them in our direction so we could mine, but I have serious questions about its profitability.

Its a lost cause really.

Before people can go they need to be producing methane & liquid oxygen on mars, from buried ice probably.

Fucking this! Antarctica is full of hippies and nobody really mines there. The bottom of the oceans also have plenty to explore still.

Its just way too much effort for no return. Mainly because all planets are non habitable. Our star system sucks balls ass.

Aside from th flat earth stuff i actually like the channel. He has some good videos on the nasa and stuff. I think he came to the wrong conclusion that the earth is flat, but other than that his observations seem fine

>its a Cred Forums are now rocket scientists thread

The point was assembling a Mars vehicle in orbit, without an assembly station or moon bases is absolutely feasible.

Look at the context of my reply

Asise from the flatearth stuff he made some good observations about nasa and so on. He just draw the wrong conclusion out of it imo

If we don't go beyond our planet, we'd never eventually go beyond our solar system. If you want to make money, mining asteroids is the way to go. But colonising worlds is also a valuable endeavour.

And often the technologies developed to make other worlds more habitable can often be applied back on earth to help it cope with it's population.

>HoaxX

Yeah, but Musk has said a lot of whacky shit based on his feels rather than science. He seems like a classic example of the high ego entrepreneur who makes it big once, then assumes that means they can magically achieve the same level of success in any other business. It's good that SpaceX exist, but like all other private launch companies they're going to be dicking around in LEO for the time being, because going beyond that is significantly harder.

pedestrianobservations.wordpress.com/2013/08/13/loopy-ideas-are-fine-if-youre-an-entrepreneur/

Well considering we have a fucking perfect planet teeming with life and intelligence, I'd say our star system got pretty lucky.

The trick is making sure it stays liquid in the center, otherwise the light gets scattered, and the crew dies. It's cold up there.

Getting a person TO mars is pretty feasible by 2027, Getting them back is a lot harder and needs way more space infrastructure.

The pilot killed himself by making a mistake. He put the plane in feather mode at the wrong time. (or something like that).

well Pablo most people don't live off of common Mexican cuisine therefore it makes them shit. don't you have a wall to be starting on anyway?

I just want to live on a house sized space station on my own, i don't need a planet

I don't care about the isolation. I just want to float my way into an early death while I code my mind to oblivion. Is that too much to ask?

I'm actually thinking about going down to some remote town on tierra del fuego. All I need is a computer and a internet connection, nothing more.

>muh bad humanity

The solar neighborood is our rightful clay

wut

>tfw you won't live to see the dyson swarm

that´s a big rocket

>methane-fueled beast
so a giant pajeet?

Sweet engine bro. It will be great seeing it explode a few miles over Cape Canaveral. Should make for some exciting headlines.

>SPACEX
GIVE BACK OUR SATELLITE
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

You need delta V to get into orbit, not altitude

How'd that staged combustion thing work out for the Russians, again?

>Fueling accident

>FUCKING FUELING ACCIDENT!

no.

What happened to that engine that was supposed to be "impossible" but has been given the go ahead.

EMdrive was it?

Dubs doesn't know shit.

>how do you stop the buffer plate vaporizing

The short interaction time of the material makes this surprisingly easy. Plate ablation (yes, and heating) was minimal on the trials piggybacked on other nuke tests, and periodically applying a low-vapor-pressure oil would prevent even that by ablating in the place of the steel.

>political impossibility of (openly) launching a shitload of nuclear weapons

You think they couldn't have done it in the fifties? Back when people still knew radiation was good for you?

Also, the fallout hazard wouldn't have been that bad. Only a few of the detonations would have been in the low-altitude band where meaningful fallout occurs; the rest would be high enough for the fission fragments to behave like they do in a relatively-harmless airburst.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fission-fragment_rocket

Could never get off the ground, though.

Literally, it might be solid in a vacuum, but it wouldn't have the thrust-to-weight for a launch, which was one of Orion's selling points.

its still just chemical tier energy density
nothing special

fucking imbecile

>Literally, it might be solid in a vacuum, but it wouldn't have the thrust-to-weight for a launch, which was one of Orion's selling points.

You could easily bypass this.
Use a standard rocket to propel a shuttle with a fusion drive into space and then use the vacuum and nuclear radiation in space.

Emdrive, yeah

It may be technically possible, actually

Can yall recommend one good book/show that deals with that theme pls? Really curious thx.

But the point is that you don't need much of it, and conventional rockets are RUINOUSLY expensive for doing anything... cool.

The minimum amount of plutonium for building a nuke was about 4kg based on released info from 1960. Estimates on developments since then are that you could get down to about half that.

Also remember that we build up to a five-figure arsenal in basically a decade.

>The volume is very much relevant

But not as much as the mass. To put it in simple terms, absolutely nothing is more relevant than mass.

Also, methane costs you about about 70 seconds of specific impulse, though it is easier to use than LH2.

But if you really wanted that, then you'd mass-produce solid boosters.

>Slow thrust applied over a long amount of time, crazy fucking fuel efficiency.

Just do a few orbital passes and burn along the pro-grade to earths orbit.
Common m8 have faith

>Explodes

>probably why he purposely sabotaged Cuckerbergs satellite

That was actually just a bit of banger over their disagreement on the dangers of AI.

>Getting them back is a lot harder and needs way more space infrastructure

So why bother? What's so great about Earth?

The postmortem on the crash revealed that this was part of a MUCH larger problem with training, though.

what are you implying

did they try something alike and it went wrong?

Read The Mote in God's Eye

Then go read The Prince - it's a compilation of all of the books that take place before Mote

severely underrated post

>Chemical rocket launch
>Easy

This still means any interplanetary craft has to be lifted to LEO ~250 tons at a time, or manufactured there. In itself, this is a massive roadblock.

The 10,000-ton Orion model would have gotten more than 5,000 tons of payload to orbit, and that was being built with 1960 material sciences.

>It may be technically possible, actually

So what did Sir Isaac Newton get wrong?

Yes. It was intended as the primary engine for the N1. I believe the test model... exploded.

Something something microwaves larger than the universe producing heat

I'm more excited for the microwave meme drive that violates the laws of physics yet still works

sciencealert.com/independent-scientists-confirm-that-the-impossible-em-drive-produces-thrust

>interplanetary engine running on natural gas

>2016
>falling for the interplanetary jew

The space program is one giant hoax. We have never left the Earth. NASA is full of lying Freemasons, as are the other space agencies.

Satellite is an anagram of 'latest lie'.

Think about it.

space threads on Cred Forums are the fucking worst

I don't get the anagram conspiracy shit that is pulled so often. Why would they want to risk the conspiracy being discovered by purposefully doing something like that?

Same for logos revealing a pentagram and such

It's not violating anything, it just ends up bouncing a microwave around in a specifically designed cavity creates a "Screen" of electromagnetic radiation that other types of less understood radiation can bounce off of.

U-238 maybe, but not U-235.

But when there's more green bits, won't more cunts try to get in?

Most other star systems have way less planetary bodies (That we know of obviously).

Having what we have, AND a planet with life that's barely in the Goldilocks zone is kind of lucky as fuck.

t.lithuania

Post yfw the first human colony in Mars is composed of a "diverse" group composed of black males and white females, forever tainting our hopes of evolve into a galaxy spanning ethno-empire.

Forgive grammar I is Spain.

Just... don't invest in anyone who actually plans to use it.

In fact, short the stock.

Largest non-nuclear, man made explosion ever.

It would fail. Immediately. The googles would burn away the oxygen reserves by smoking weed.

Nah, that was the final version of the N1. While it exploded on both launch attempts.

I was referring to the NK-33 test engine, which did not work.

mfw a problem occurs
mfw niggers protest for whitey to do something as all the air gets sucked out a hole
mfw the coalburners' last thought is that they wish that they'd come with a proud Aryan man who'd have known how to repair a tiny hole

>mfw I'm mission control

My mistake.

Still, copying anything the N1 programme did is at best risky, considering how spectacularly it failed.

>yfw we will explore the universe forever with qt 3.14 ai waifus at our disposal

muh whisper drive

yes they might.
who knows.

for you.

this fucking guy
exdee

I love this guy.

GOD I LOVE THIS GUY.

NASA has been doing shit wrong all the time.
Granted thy subsist on a tiny tiny fucking budged compared to what they do, but they absolutely can't organize for SHIT.
The new spacesuit design is outrageous.
Their ideas for new rockets are to bring saturn V back bascially.
They fucked over almost the entire world when they didn't launch JamesWebb 5 years ago (i talked to one of the people who had been working on it)
They kicked themselves in the nuts when they flat out scrapped the X33 project, despite there only being one element that was a concern and they had a 95% complete prototype. The technology and the linear aerospike engine was so good that lockheed martin later independently continued the testing without congress funding because it's so awesome.
(the x33 was the best ever and is my waifu)
NASA are also planning longterm and can't into public relations.

A bad combo for getting money.

Now they only need to reach space.

Scotch tape is great in space.

I laughed for a minute straight.
Saved upvoted liked and subscribed.
godspeed et un tres tres bon jour mon ami!

So they invented a rocket?

ty ty

Flag seems to commie, we don't want a People's Chinese provisional republic of Mars do we?

Add something representing Earth or some shit

>Add something representing Earth or some shit
How about this?
We should add something representing commune ideals without it being communism.

or this

It's a colony right, but how is it governed and does it get to be its own sovereign territory or is it governed by the UN, some other agency, or the nation who colonises it?

>You will maybe participate in resource wars between the 2 warring colonies.

>sad post is sad

If it wasn't in paint, it could maybe work, I'm a fan of vexiollogy so il try and get something made tomorrow.

>engine runs on farts

Is that supposed to be an abstract representation of a shit stain on your pants?

>The hostile environment of the moon's surface

I wouldn't call it hostile exactly. Sure you can't walk on it without a spacesuit, but there is no wind, rain, earthquakes, volcanoes, lakes of acid, hostile aliens, nothing.

For an inanimate object that doesn't need air, it's pretty damn peaceful - which means you can get away with what would be flimsy materials on earth.

you say that like its a bad thing, if we dont do it some filthy ayliums will.

>If decades of sci-fi have taught us anything
>sci-fi
>science-FICTION
>taught
>If fiction has taught us anything

murican education people...

>mars colony
more like Googles confinement camp

in both:
>gray because the martian sky looks grey orange, it also represents determination and other values associated with the color black without it being too extreme
>blue representing freedom, feace, prosperity, and unity all over the planet, leading up (into space) and into the future
>dynamic rounded forms as opposed to lines represent modern values and ideals

In the upper flag,
>the white half circle above represents the unknown further planets to be discovered.
>the dark blue represents the earth and a stable basis
>the orange circle represents mars

In the lower flag,
>the orange represents mars,
>the yellow circle represents the sun and the solar system being just a stepping stone for humanity. and wealth from within peace and unity (blue)

First definitely individual colonies would be governed by the nations governing it.
Then the UN or the agencies responsible for the colonies would set up some rules for cooperation.
True independence would come once the first people are born there on soil that other countries have no right to and they are self sufficient.

I wanted to do some vector drawing but i couldn't be assed as i put a filter over it anyway.

i don't know about your shit, but i don't shit blue and orange.

>getting worked up over a shitty taco bell breakfast

>interplanetary
Yeah he is gonna need it to reach Planet Bankruptucy from his ISS Welfare Statal Leech

JUST PUT A NUCLEAR REACTOR ON AN ION ENGINE ALREADY.

This isn't an engine that's going to be used between planets.

You can't keep LOX from boiling off, the longer it sits the more you lose.

I'm curious how their going to keep it stable.

There is a fuck load of radiation.

I think i also included some numerology in the placing and sizes of the objects on the flag, but i don't remember. There definitely should be some though.

Also i couldn't decide whether having the top of the blue area tapering would be good or bad.
>On the plus side the tapering triangle thing would look like the vector symbol in the logo of almost every space agency.
>On the minus side, the gray areas would be too big (it would kinda imbalance the flag) and the center planet/star would be too close to the origin planet at the bottom.
>On a neutral point the gray areas would look more like the martian sky and the whole would be more recognizable as an actual image.

Noice, working on a concept in paint right now.

Too bad I'm on phone so I can't do shit, do you suggest any programs to do some amazing flags in?

>spaceX does something that was already done at least 20 years ago
>shills start spamming

We could just use an Orion nuclear pulse platform to put a skyscraper sized reactionless engine in orbit.

GIMP can do vector images i think
other than that i don't really know.

I met this guy on a long plane ride last weekend, works for one of the National Labs, has a P.H.d in Aerospace* (i forget what the suffix was, either physics or engineering probably)

We got to talking about the whole mars colony thing and his opinion was that these projects are entirely just PR gimmicks to get the public invested in space again and not anything people in the industry are seriously working to achieve on the timescales that the PR goons tell people.

Just food for thought, I know this idea has been expressed before, but this is from the horses mouth so to speak. Part of his job is acting as a commissary between his lab and washington on things like budget issues, project goals, etc, so I think he was at least qualified to have some idea of the situation. That doesn't mean he is right of course, all of this is just an opinion that I am now poorly passing along

Since I'm on phone il have to post a camera pic of a shitty paint pic

Fucking thing didn't upload

Reminder that everyone posting in this thread will never live long enough to travel to a Mars colony.

SpaceX >>>>>>> NASA.

The state ain't got shit on private enterprise.

LONG LIVE CAPITALISM!!!!

Reminder that everyone in this thread is too much of a peasant for their children to afford it.

>ywn be the governor of an independent Mars colony and attempt to conquer other colonies in order to become the first planetary nation.

some bastard squashed a frog!

that's just the danish flag with planets on it :|
it still looks pretty

>implying we'll be paying for it and we won't be the ones paid to go to do the maintenance as engineers

>just the Danish flag
Didn't really notice that, my bad

this is why i made the no straight lines thing.
makes it look a bit otherworldly

You faggots trying to reach Mars NOW when Blackshirts were already there in 1939
youtube.com/watch?v=vnDeX5EMy88

This makes the most sense. A human Mars mission is nearly infeasible when you start looking at the numbers.

>Disrespecting glorious Martian Empire and his Holiness Emperor Elon, the First of His Name

>fiction can't teach us anything

?

>terraforming mars
that is pure idiocy. Unless you figure out how to artificially give the whole fucking planet a magnetosphere :^)

How can liberty even compete

You mean a launching station in low earth orbit? Send up vehicle sections and fuel in repeated trips? It's a good idea for greatly increasing the number of planets that can be visited without careful slingshotting, but complex.

Would you want to spend nearly 3 years (return trip) in a small capsule?

>far superior than anything America came up with on their own
>Implying the soviets came up with thier rockets on their own
The nazi empire wouldve been to mars and back by 1982

50's technology, there's a reason it wasn't done before. When we say "interplanetary rocket" I hope you mean a rocket that can actually get to its destination in a timely manner.

So when do you steal the technology and claim it to be Slav innovation?

see

>Plate ablation (yes, and heating) was minimal on the trials piggybacked on other nuke tests
There were no plate test with nuke in Orion configuration.

>not using nuclear engines

Ooh yeah big manly Russian, haul my cargo for me ooh yeah give me ride to space on your big WHITE rockets mmmm yeah baby

Take my space program please!

But the term satellite doesn't just apply to artificial satellites we've put in our own orbit. Anything orbiting you in space is a satellite, which is why our silly space machines are called this. Even if they were all fictional, the moon is still a satellite as are all moons and any rocks captured by a planet's orbit

"Satellite" isn't the name for a machine floating in space, it's the name of any object orbiting you in space. Are you suggesting that the moon is also a "latest lie?"

>Terraform dead planet, making it habitable.
>centuries later this colonization will be taught in schools as opressive against local geology and humans should feel guilt
>rock lives matter

The expensive part is enriching the levels of the U235 isotope. That is what is needed, and that is what is extremely expensive.

You don't really think they spend 10,000 on a toilet seat, 1,000 on a hammer do you? The pentagon lost over 20 trillion in my lifetime. I don't think it disappeared.

emdrive hasn't been disproven in space yet.

So until that space test is complete we don't really know. And its not an EM drive its a cannae drive.

How would you even know the difference between a solo-station surrounded by vacuum and a basement surrounded by concrete?

One day I can say I want off this gay earth and it won't be a joke.

I just saw a click bait about space x competitor retrieving the rocket boosters fr the sea floor used in the Apollo missions. Apparently the plans for those engines were (((lost))).

Tbh I have seen the wiring in the Apollo nose cone on display in Houston. Either it is a crude mockup or I am utterly amazed that thing flew at all.

> assuming that was an accident
Based elon knew what the payload was

>sponsored by photoshop CS2

There is radiation on Earth, what's your point?

Drop a hammer.

Bezos recovered them.
NASA has been making new blueprints iirc. Not just from those but whatever is kicking around.

Wow, sauce?
Stupid managers that can't think outside the box piss me off.

> being this rectally ravaged by a man
Jelly af

Where in science is a 93% success rate considered a "success"?

> killing people
> playing it safe

Only if you happen to be a chemical rockets only shitbag looking at numbers fronted by people who what to use the money for Gibs instead.

>SpaceX

Im surprised it didnt explode
but nevermind, the second test will

Kek

The issue for that disaster was because the US wanted each state to manufacture a part, and in doing so compromises had to be made, one of them was the O ring, had the entire rocket have been built on site that would never have happened.

Tom Mueller

"For 15 years, Mueller worked for TRW Inc., a conglomerate corporation involved in aerospace, automotive, credit reporting, and electronics. He managed the propulsion and combustion products department where he was responsible for liquid rocket engine development.[1] He worked as a lead engineer during the development of the TR-106, a 650,000 lbf (2,900 kN) thrust hydrogen engine that was one of the most powerful engines ever at the time it was constructed. During his time at TRW, Mueller felt that his ideas were being lost in a diverse corporation and as a hobby he began to build his own engines. He would attach them to airframes and launch them in the Mojave Desert along with other members of the Reaction Research Society.

In late 2001, Mueller began developing a liquid-fueled rocket engine in his garage and later moved his project to a friend's warehouse in 2002.[1] His design was the largest amateur liquid-fuel rocket engine, weighing 80 lb (36 kg) and producing 13,000 lbf (58 kN) of thrust.[1] His work caught the attention of Elon Musk, PayPal co-founder and CEO of Tesla Motors, and in 2002 Mueller joined Musk as a founding employee of SpaceX.[2]

Mueller is currently the CTO of Propulsion Development at SpaceX,[7] responsible for all propulsion development, including the Dragon spacecraft propulsion systems and Merlin rocket engine family that powers the Falcon 9 launch vehicle to orbit.[1] The Merlin is the highest-performing hydrocarbon engine made in the United States and the first hydrocarbon booster engine made in the United States in 40 years.[1] Mueller developed the Merlin 1A and Kestrel engines for the Falcon 1, the first liquid fueled orbital rocket launched by a private company as well as leading the team that developed the Merlin 1C, Merlin 1D and MVac engines for the Falcon 9, the first to launch into orbit and recover a spacecraft.[8]"

>Also, methane costs you about about 70 seconds of specific impulse
Yes but methane allows you to achieve a much better mass fraction, and LH2 is no good for a reusable vehicle/engine. So the performance "loss" is basically a wash, made up in other ways.

the mars colony is the whole point of SpaceX and they spend like half the time of board meetings going "How does this get us to mars?"

Obviously ULA and the other guys aren't doing anything for mars colony, but Musk is.

>Mars colony soon, lads.

MT

also lets just send all the googles and skypes

Thanks

I'm actually in the space industry and a spacex customer.

All this jazz about Mars and shit is just for PR. The last launch failure set them back another 6 months. Their reliability is now Proton-tier aka garbage tier. ULA and Ariane have like 100% success rates over past 10 years. Falcon heavy is fucking 3 years late.

Only thing saving space X is their cheap cost, but I guarantee you if they blow another mission within a year they will go bankrupt.

Before we can -into- mars we need terraforming or some way to decrease the amount of radiation that blasts Mars's surface.

>The last launch failure set them back another 6 months.
They say november return to launch, it wasn't a launch failure but a failure during testing of the vehicle. They don't sit around doing nothing during these downtimes, so they can take advantage of some time without the pressure of launches.

>ULA and Ariane have like 100% success rates over past 10 years.
Both these failures could have been sabotage
And the Spacex's vehicle is new, hence will have occasional failures as things are ironed out, especially since SpaceX is doing new things like reuse or supercooled fuels.

That's not a new idea of all

>But not as much as the mass.
Larger tank volume means larger tank mass.

soooo
what's the best thing to draw flags in?

Momentum. Also, do you know how many goddamn balloons we would need to even LIFT goddamn rockets?

I get what you're saying, but its really impractical and extremely high risk.

>spacex launches
>encounter the globalist space fleetâ„¢
>space niggers have to pretend to be ayyliums as a distraction to prevent their existence from being found out

ms paint

Well i did that and then someone said this would be great if it wasn't ms paint.

Gimp/Photoshop
I just said paint because if you have to ask you probably don't know how to use them. Go ask /gd/ for help. Well actually that might get you in trouble, maybe /wsr/ is the better bet first. See if they can take your idea and make it look good

GIMP is really cumbersome to actually do vector paintings with though.

Isn't there something better for that?

>mars soon

more like deport the shitskins and kikes to live on mars.

I'd rather live on a living breathing planet that a shitty colony in the cold depths of a dead planet

Fuck you for posting, now I have the urge to go play kerbal and send a few hours down the drain when I could of been doing something productive, Once again, fuck you, and can I have 3-4 hours refund in advance.

Just download a cracked copy of Photoshop & Illustrator, GIMP is fucking garbage, sadly.

wasn't spacex that abo group that hit a pregnant lady with a baseball bat