So /pol, what is antimatter exactly? Is it real or just another jew meme to delay our progress?

Explain it, I want to understand

Other urls found in this thread:

helios.gsfc.nasa.gov/gcr.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Read a book nigger

>trying to learn something
>WHY ARE YOU SO IGNORANT NIGGER
please I'm just trying to understand it Hans

Does this look like wikipedia to you bitch?

>trusting jewpedia
just give me the gist, I understand it comprises on opposite particles or something like that, but how can that affect our world? What are its consequences?

Matter and anti-matter are pairs of particles with equal mass and opposite charge.

Ex. An electron and positron have masses, me and charges -e and +e, respectively.

Thanks for the reply. So how is this helpful, what use do we have for it? And how does the Schrodinger equation predicts it?

bump

spic bump, pls help

When matter and anti-matter come into contact, they cancel each other out of existence, releasing mind-blowing amounts of energy, making a nuke look like a cigarette lighter by comparison.

It's part of a number of theories regarding symmetry in our universe. It's believed that every fundamental particle has an anti-particle. Why our universe exists with almost exlusively regular matter and not anti matter (comparatively speaking), we don't know.
As for a use, anti-matter instantly annihilates into energy when it comes into contact with regular matter, so there isn't much there. However, there is work to be done to see if any noteworthy properties appear when we scale up to anti atoms, anti molecules, or perhaps larger structures.

We're still figuring that stuff out.

At the moment it's mostly about scientific curiosity - why does it exist? how is it created? what are its properties? etc

There could potentially be applications for it later down the line, but we're not there yet.

Go to /sci/ user

Here we are channeling egyptian frog god magic into:

how much energy would be released from the annihilation of them? How can we capture this energy? How much of it would be loss on annihilation?

Of course it exists, they make anti-hydrogen all the time.
>not everything is jewish conspiracy

Antimatter is simply where matter is not. When the universe expands, so does antimatter, but it's mass stays the same.

The bigger problem is that we've observed Symmetry (conservation of net charge, among other things) in every antimatter experiment.

I know today is the day of Kek(praise be upon his name) coming but I really need this

>how much energy would be released from the annihilation of them?

Energy equals total mass times the square of the speed of light, though a fraction would not be useful.

So we could conclude that there is actually symmetry or balance between matter and antimatter?

why the doubts on it obeying conservation then?

Antimatter is just matter with an opposite electric charge. So in regular matter, a proton has a charge of +1 while an anti-proton has a charge of -1.
Anti-neutrons and neutrons both have a charge of 0 but they derive their charge in opposite from one another.
Electrons have a charge of -1 and positrons (anti-matter equivalent of an electron) have a charge of +1.

Because they have opposite charges, they annihilate into pure energy upon interacting. It's important to remember that matter and energy are never created or destroyed, they merely change.

The problem with antimatter is that it takes a lot of energy to make and store in the first place. But scientists are interested in it as a fuel since it's as energy dense as you could possibly make fuel (as far as we know right now).

Anti matter explosions can be found in numerous places. Photon torpedoes for instance, while made of photons produce and antimatter explosion. Federation research had made great leaps in matter/antimatter connections.

Space seems to have weight. There's matter, but that matter doesn't weigh that much. So, what is it then that's taking so much of this universe, you ask..
Well, that's where antimatter comes into play. The stuff we can't see.

How do we know its there? Refraction or some shit?

>So we could conclude that there is actually symmetry or balance between matter and antimatter?

Basically, that would imply that the Big Bag would have generated equal amounts of matter and antimatter, and observational evidence indicates that this is not the case.

More specially, some types of cosmic radiation (GCRs, for example*) are actully charged particles, which have mass. If there were, say, antimatter stars out there, we'd expect to see evidence of annihilation events with the interstellar medium, GCRs, and so forth.

*Sauce on GCR: helios.gsfc.nasa.gov/gcr.html

That's DARK matter. Completely different.

E=MC^2
Energy Equals Mass times Speed of Light squared

Speed of light is a very very big number. Square a very very big number and you get a huge number. Figure the rest yourself :)

They think it's there because their calculations don't explain reality; and it's not antimatter they're positing but dark matter and dark energy.

The two biggest fudge factors in science history.

Thanks for the reply Ahmed. So what are challenges on collecting it? Is it worth? Whats is the efficiency on collision? How much of it could we store?

Fucking Google it you fucking Google Skype Cuban hooknose, this has nothing to do with politics. Enjoy your ban faggot

Yeah confused me there, thats why

>So what are challenges on collecting it?

It takes a huge amount of energy to produce, and it annihilates instantly on contact with matter.

>What Is it worth?

More than anything else, by weight, but the price has come down a lot.

>How much of it could we store?

Multiple atoms.

>throw equation
>figure it out yourself
Every fucking third grader know this equation, literally :^)

so those are completely out of this conversation right?

nothing interesting , it cost too much and our technology is way too obsolete to use it properly , it's just cost billions and don't have any utility right now. You won't see shit about antimatter and we won't use it , even after our deaths our children will still probably won't use it.
It will be a thing in 200 or 500 years but right now we just don't have the technology to handle it.

Yeah and anti particles have a very very small mass.

>burger gets mad cause cant count how many syllables antimatter has
>le enjoy your ban faggot xDDDddD
fuck off to the mart

They're completely out of most equations, really.

Yes, but most people don't know what it actually means.

>So what are challenges on collecting it?

As far as we know there is basically no anti matter around anywhere, because there is matter everywhere and if anti matter and matter come into contact they annihilate.

Small traces of antimatter are created in particle accelerators/cosmic events/radioactive decay but they as well annihilate right away. So no anti matter is not a potentiel fuel, since there simply is non. YOu could create some with a particle accelerator, but then you would merely transform electric energy to energy stored in anti matter. So its not a source of enegry.

To store anti matter you have to make sure that it does not have any contact with matter whatsoever. The only way to do this is have it in a vaccum and hold it in place with electromagnetic fields. Which is comlicated as fuck and uses a lof of energy.

So no there wont be any non scientific uses for anti matter any time soon

The >implications of it

Well they have the same mass as regular particles

So we can conclude that is a useless meme field?

exactly

It's real, it's exactly what the name says, when it collides with matter it releases a lot of energy as heat and light, there isn't enough to do the cool shit you think it can do, it can't do cool shit like you think it can do, we can fabricate it but at a rate of fucking nothing every 10,000 years, it sucks, it's shitty, it's gay.
The only real application of it is with PET scans.

>Hans trusts jewkipedia
Good goy...

It's not even fun making this joke anymore.

The fuck is wrong with you, Hans?

>The only real application of it is with PET scans
why?

why are people so stupid.

Don't you realize in 20 years we will have the technology to extend our lives indefinitely?

Don't you realize that as long as civilization exists it is completely reasonable to assume our current rate of technological progress will continue?

Antimatter tech by the end of the century at most.

No, you're shitposting on the wrong board you fucking nigger tier imbecile.

>technology to extend our lives indefinitely?
how?

>as long as civilization exists it is completely reasonable to assume our current rate of technological progress will continue?
what if Moore's law hits a plateau?

>Antimatter tech by the end of the century at most
for what use?

What field? Particle physics?
It wont have new applications in egineering right away, but well, we don't know what we are going to figure out, so we can't say that its useless.

However its promiseing to bring us "new" physics, and maybe one day it will bring us new applications for stuff, that we cannot imagine right now.

Like in modern microchips quantum mechanical effects like the tunnel effect play a crucial role since we managed to build them that small. Who would have thought that at the around 1900, when quantum physics startet to be developed

We don't have enough, we can't make enough, we can't store enough, and we can't fund enough things to use all of it if we could do all those.
It could theoretically be a great fuel, if you theoretically dump trillions worldwide into designing and manufactoring engines that can safely and consistently burn it while keeping up with supply demand by drenching every square inch of the Earth's surface in labs to make more but still only producing a spoonful every quadrillion years.

Why are you asking Cred Forums instead of /sci/?

>2016 believing in the jewmatter

Particle physics future is quantum computing, can't see any real use for antimatter from this thread anyway so I guess they should be focusing on advancing qc

You know matter? Y'know, the stuff that everything is composed of.

Well, anti-matter is the opposite of that.

It's not entirely useless. It is very efficient as a potential fuel source so if you need something that requires an ungodly amount of energy but a limited amount of space - antimatter would be ideal.

The theoretical FTL alcubierre drive, as I recall, requires a huge amount of energy to run. I don't recall how much but I believe it'd take the collective mass of the entire voyager probe converted into energy to run just once.

Wouldn't you be just wasting energy? All the energy used for its recollection? How does the benefit of having antimatter outweighs the waste of energy to collect it?

Its the jews user

Antimatter is cool. I would like to point out that a nuclear bomb only actually converts around 0.1% of the weaponized uranium which gets to interact in the explosion into energy.

So you can imagine how a 100% conversion rate would look like. A little grocery bag full of antimatter would solve the islamic question once and for all.

It's matter, but anti.

sci does not believe in kek

A FUCKING LEAF MOETHERFUCKING PIECE OF SHIT FUCK OGFF

>Tfw an antimatter moon crashes into Jupiter.

Gonna be sweet brah

No one is just researching "anti matter"
Anti matter is just one form of matter that you stumble upon while you make theories about matter in general. I dont really get what you are trying to say.

really really made my neurons engage on synapsis

>muh Auschwitz

so antimatter has a 100% conversion rate?

If research does not always go forward, it's because of people like you.

Because energy in a dense state is often far more useful than energy in a less dense state. You often end up with more efficiency by not having to haul around thousands of tons of fuel.

>implying Puerto Ricans aren't burgers
GTFO you smelly independentista

>tfw when it crashes into mapleland
>nothing of value was lost

Low transportation weight.

It's like a battery, you blow a ton of energy to effectively store it.

AM would be extremely useful as a space flight fuel source if we could create and safely capture / annihilate it.

>Implying anti-matter is real
>Implying

I though people were wasting time researching it nvm

the opposite of matter.
duh you stupid moran

Yes.

Yup

>muh antimatter
>b-but muh research
its useless, every reply on this thread points that out

Kek, this is precious

pay debt then

I actually just did some maths out of interest.
Assuming we have 1g of antimatter react with 1g of normal matter would produce ca 42 kilotons of TNT of explosive power.

Which is 3x more than the Atomic blast at Hiroshima.
I hope CERN doesn't fuck up :)

>falling for the 5th dimensional jew

how would you "burn" it leaf?

how much time would CERN take in collecting 1g of AM?

>antimatter
>5th dimension
>not even 4th
fuck off Hans2

:^)

Of course some people do research anti matter. A lot of different people research a lot of different stuff.

Just think of matter as Sunni muslims and antimatter as Shias. Whenever they come in contact with each other they blow up and for whatever reason our universe appears to have more Sunnis than Shias.

yeah because countries full of muslims as mine won't go into civil wars and won't have any affect on technology and accessibility to medecin.
You're a fucking retarded faggot.
go to /scifi/ and come to Cred Forums to talk about politics and not your stupid utopia.

Antimatter reacts instantly as soon as it comes into contact with matter. You would have to store it in a perfect vacuum, then I assume split it up with magnets and transport tiny pieces into a fission chamber where it reactes with normal matter in a controlled fashion, propelling the spacecraft.

The problem here is that a tiny fuck up leaves you with essentially a turbonuke blasting your entire launch zone into outer space instead of just the rocket.

PS: To everyone hating: This is a cool thread. Better than the infinite CTR slidespam.

why tho? there's no use for it