Why aren't people reading anymore?

Why aren't people reading anymore?

Other urls found in this thread:

scotswolf.com/aldoushuxley_bravenewworld.pdf
multivax.com/last_question.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Becvause they are stupid or unable to
>mfw read 4 books in the last week

Personally, 2 of my favorite 3 authors have died in recent years.
I was mostly into military thrillers, but in recent years, a lot of the story lines have started running together.

I'd like to see the numbers for percentage of people who read a non-fiction book in the past year. There's a bunch of people in my family who read a lot, but it's all really trashy fiction.

>Hollywood, gaming and the Internet
>Why don't people read anymore?

I think more people should read too, but you're asking a pretty stupid question.

Does manga count?

I read all the time. Not books often (usually things on the internet such as the news and tech advances) but that's because working full time and going to college full time take up all of my free time.

How do you read so fast? It's the only thing stopping me from reading.

consider all the americans who can't read (17% of US is black, and can't forget the illegals)

depends...

get a job.

>book

Internet nigga. There's your answer. Learned people still read all the time. Most of the shit I read is non-fiction technical shit and news. Most of the information I want is online. Some of it still requires cracking a book, especially highly specialized and researched information, but most of my reading is done online now.

Fiction books are shit it's far more entertaining reading articles

You practice

In college, only 2 classes this autumn so a lot of free time. Also, problematic Hemmorhoids so i take very long baths, hence, reading.

I'm not that user, but I can read about that fast, generally I can read 1/3-1/2 of a sentence and figure out the rest from context.

If it ever fails I'll go back and read the whole thing, but it works pretty well for me 90% of the time

>You practice
Thanks for nothing.

Because internet.

I still read some old literature from time to time though.

what purpose do books have in 2016?

>non-fiction
internet is far superior, information can easily be kept updated down to the minute.

>fiction
there are already enough movies, TV series, and video games to last you 100 lifetimes and most of them can be pirated for free.

books are completely obsolete.

inb4 "but books r much beter then movies cuz you're imagination maks it beter lol xDDDD am i hip and cool yet reddit? upvote me please?"

they realized the evils of common core

Minorities don't read. Dumb white people at least usually read shitty books.

ADD. That's my excuse anyway. It takes me months to finish a book. I usually have 10 books on the go at the same time and flick between them.

Because it takes effort and concentration

Because we have superior forms of entertainment / sources of information now.
Duh.

That only works for light books. If I can read a book like that (and I have that) I usually lose my respect for the author because he required 300 pages to write a book that should be 50 at most.

Going through my textbooks is draining enough. I don't think I've read a novel in the past 4 years.

>doesn't appreciate literature as an art form

Shut the fuck up, retard.

>not being able to appreciate literature
Nigger detected

>doesn't appreciate cave paintings as an art form
Ooga booga unf ooga, retard

how do you read in the bath?

Dumbing down of the population. Also I'd say that there are less good books being released now than in the past.

This trashy fiction novels don't count. Only non fiction books should be counted.

Thanks for everything. If you don't practice you get nothing. but If you do you get hundreds of year of material at your fingertips. Masterpieces too.

So many books i wish i could read again with a clean mind, discover again.

With a toaster bookrest.

Brown people.

Brown people don't tend to read and if they do its the koran.

Even the graph is fucking brown.

>used to read books all the time for fun when I was little
>reading 1000-page Tom Clancy novels when everyone else was into harry potter
>then along comes high school
>suddenly I have no time for reading-for-fun because I am constantly reading-for-school
>and they're all shit
>every single book that gets assigned, just painfully, agonizingly boring
>filled with shitty unlikable protagonists like Holden Caulfield; jesus you stupid fuck just takes some antidepressants for fuck's sake I'm sick of reading pages upon pages of your emo tripe
>finishing the book didn't end the torture; no, then I had to thoroughly analyze it and write shit like what I think the author meant by this and that
>"I think the author meant to tell us that he's completely off his fucking meds"
>all of high school was like this, nonstop, just boring shitty book after boring shitty book (the sole exceptions being Count of Monte Cristo and Catch-22, which to my surprise were actually good)
>by the time I am out of high school, I am so sick of reading that I never want to even so much as look at another book again

A lot of people I've talked to have had similar experiences; they say they used to love reading until they were forced to do it.

Solution: Get all of the shitty boring garbage like Steinbeck off of high school reading lists and replace it with good stuff. Make Reading Great Again.

I keep the book out of the water.

What about stories like Dr.Zhivago? The characters are fiction but the events are real. You are probably just a dumb nigger anyway.

I used to read all the time. When I hit late high school and college the jews pushed a punch of bullshit and nonsensical literature on me. Literally haven't read since.

Horribly misleading. Not reading books /= not reading at all. I read a fuck ton; scientific papers, instructional manuals, procedures, newspaper articles, online articles, etc. I almost never read books.

>I'd say that there are less good books being released now than in the past.
I don't think that's controversial. Name a post-WWII author that's on par with some of the famous greats in the past like Tolstoy. Art, in general, has gone to shit in the past few decades.

>ebooks are a thing
>any book worth reading is in the public domain
>takes literally seconds to download legally
>people still don't read books

Aldous Huxley was a prophet

The problem with "historical fiction" and the like is that the reader, unless they're already a scholar versed in that historical period, can't tell where the line is between what's fact and what's fiction. (Movies about any real person or event face the same problem)

Normies would blame the book prices, but we have internet and free PDFs or even paid ebooks are cheap and easy to get.

I think they're too much focused on social media to do anything

MInd naming a few? Curious.

Being on 4channel doesn't count niggha. 90% of the shit you read on the Internet is trash. Go to a book store and read a book. You'll soak up more information in 30 mins than 1 week on the Internet.

I read the dumb shit people say on Cred Forums all the time

*fewer.

It's boring, slow and pretentious. There are superior sources of information.

There are too many leftist authors. Whenever I enjoy a book, only leftists make videos and write about it. is left-wing as fuck. So I don't read as much as I used to anymore. When I do read, it's mostly classics like Dostoevsky.

>all of high school was like this, nonstop, just boring shitty book after boring shitty book

this

all the "classics" are fucking meme books

t. guy who read at least 2-3 books a month

scotswolf.com/aldoushuxley_bravenewworld.pdf

I am though

it is an artform dumbass

>checks flag
>my bad continue shitposting citizen

i stopped reading books when I got the internet

thanks

This right here. You have to read a lot of shit in high school that really hasn't held up. Sure something like Lord of the Flies, To Kill a Mockingbird, and The Great Gatsby still hold up and are great, but there's also shit books like The Scarlet Letter and A Separate Piece. When you're forced to devote hours to reading a book that is insanely uninteresting and simply dull it really doesn't make you want to go out and ready more.

I feel like high school students should get to choose from three or four books instead of just being assigned one. Also wen ever read Animal Farm, 1984, or Brave New World in high school and I really think kids should read all three to get a good understanding of the perils of a corrupt society. What's more useful, learning about some whore who had to wear a red A, or learning about the dangers of a police state?

tldr
pics or its not happening
nuff said

Internet is great for research. IF you're researching. But just cruising the Internet most of the information isn't absorbed. It goes in and out because you're brain is taking in TOO much and doesn't have time to completely understand the information. Unlike a book you sit down and read you brain is working at taking in a smaller amount of info and is entirely more efficient.

>if it's not in a book it's not reading

Fucking leaf

Most books are Cred Forums tier via surgeon's law. Just because there are many great books doesn't mean that picking a random one isn't going to purge brain cells.

audiobooks for fiction
if asked I wouldn't count recreational textbook reading as "reading a book" though

More like percent of people who admitted to not reading a book in the past year.

BecauseI'm too busy reading up stuff on the internet and get different outputs on subjects I want to know about. Also fuck your Harry Potter, I don't need to read about adventures, I go out and make my own adventures.

Refer

I'm college educated and reading is the biggest fucking chore for me. I always find myself checking to see how many pages I have left until I can finally put down the book rather than being so immersed in the story that I can't put it down. I can think of only one book I've read voluntarily, all others I was forced to read because it was a school project or something.

I'm just psychologically unable to enjoy reading.

try reading the turner diaries.

The memes are funny as hell by themselves. Plus if you can ignore them the book is actually incredibly well wrote for a book about modern nazis.

Really surprises most people.

They do read, they read their twitter

This 100%.

This.
Especially this year with the election in Murrica and rapefugee crisis in Europe.

>I'm just psychologically unable to enjoy reading
In other words, you're a nigger.

>Also wen ever read Animal Farm, 1984, or Brave New World in high school and I really think kids should read all three to get a good understanding of the perils of a corrupt society.
because one of the few things that the Left and the Right agree on in this country is that they want more government power, more control over you, more ability to monitor everything you do. They do not want people to question this. The only difference between Democrats and Republicans is what they want to use that power to do.

Note how W authorized a bunch of brazenly unconstitutional spying programs after 9/11 and Obama quietly continued them. Both love the idea of a citizenry that passively accepts complete monitoring of everything by the government.

Does it account for ebooks?

Most TV and films are completely uninspired trash. Some books are, too, but you don't have to read James Patterson.

Why don't you just look at the wiki then, you fucking autist? That's not reading. That's called s k i m m i n g.

We have a 99% literacy rate and 13% of the US is black, perhaps you should read a book.

How many book reports do they make you do over there? Tv and films always have kids doing book reports. I'm sure I did less than 10 all the way through school.

Similar, but kinda worse
In High School when we did book reports, we had to pick books from Norwegian authors, couldn't even read English translated to Norwegian books. Fucking hated it, usually what ends up happening are groups of 3-5 people accidentally choosing the same book, because the selection is shit.

The Illiad is obviously trashy

Maybe so. I think there by be a nigger in my woodpile somewhere. It would make sense because I didn't become completely literate until 3rd or 4th grade.

is catch 22 the one with the gay guy? it turns me off from wanting to read it

I read science shit for work

And read politics, history and literature in the evenings

Project Gutenberg is full of redpilled as shit stuff from the 1800s and pre-WW2 time.

Don't be a brainlet.

If the normies realize that you know your shit they listen when you explain to them why the mainstream press is lies, idiocy and fucking garbage... and why Trump did nothing wrong and they should vote for him

I hated reading because of school and never finished a book. As soon as i graduated i read the brothers karamazov and many other books

For light reading i've read the entirety of the Discworld series 2-3 times , and I am restarting currently.The 2 first Dunes, and Lotr also i would forget to excperience anew. Boris vian also. And 1984/Animal farm

For more ''serious'' stuff i've read and liked a lot of the old french, Jules Vernes, Victor Hugo, Voltaire in french ( am from Quebec)
Medieval stuff like Lancelot from Chretien de Troyes.
Don Quixotte (english version, my spanish is shit) Also extremely interesting but hard to read due to unending side stories.
Read a lot of shorter stories from Anton Chekov and Aasimov.

I fear i already forgot a large part of what i actually did read.

Because they read the internet.

here's a nice little one someone linked to me a few months back.

multivax.com/last_question.html

books aren't as accessible as digital media.

>reading in the tub to quell literal butthurt. Behold the first miracle of kek. From henceforth thy ass shall be free of devastation!

Most books these days are published by (((leftists))) and are so boring because leftists can't tell a story for shit. Back when ordinary Americans could get a book published you had a wider range of expression, it wasn't all about "diversity" and "muh ignoring the rules because muh professor says it's okay". Men was men, women was women, good stories was good stories. That's the way it was.

Public school makes people associate reading with "reading what they tell you to"

The idea of reading anything other than the classics first is retarded

The idea of prescribing what should be read in what order is retarded

I am reading

I just read your shit thread and graph.
sage

I read it for a research project like 4 years ago, and I do not recall any gay characters. The main character Yossarian gets pretty damn redpilled through his experiences in the novel, which is always nice

I agree with most of your sentiment about forgetting a lot of information about books. I can usually recall the main plot, most of the important characters, and the most prevalent themes and whatnot, but I struggle to recall anything beyond that unless it is something that I have reread multiple times

TV is a lot more passive and more easily digestible. So is reading your social media sites all day.

True that. The only books i would consider to REALLY know would be LOTR, i've read the them every year, done it for close to 15 years now. Even then i couldn't get into the Silmarillon.

depends on the state
but usually you do 1 major one at the end of every book and minor ones throughout the book
its a lot of book reports

Reading is for pillow biters

Modern writing is trash OP.

With the amount of reading i do on Cred Forums, i would say that chart is being disrespectful desu senpai.

It may not be meaningful reading but some of it is.

reading is great! it soothes the psyche and opens gateways of knowledge one could not find on the internet. simpletons would rather read articles or hear the books but I for one wholeheartedly support reading in it's most pure form.

I have a cute little half politics half depression book collection. I've read about half of it, but I can't find time to really read the others. When I do get free time from work, my computer is literally ~3 ft away, with the entire internet (and you guys). I feel like I could be doing better, and some books feel like preaching to the choir, while I can get new information from here, or other sites.