Is it possible in the near future for something like Universal Basic Income to be passed? Realistically...

Is it possible in the near future for something like Universal Basic Income to be passed? Realistically, what could happen? And where should I go worst case?

A lot of art and home made inventors would happen... probably a second renaissance.

$2000 a month would be nice.

BUT DATS MUH TAX MONEY YOU FILTHY LEECH!

In the US? No way.

It is dumb because it will not attack the nature of the problem: natural resources. People will just get used to the gibmedat.

Fucking politicians

so basically you want everyone on food stamps and welfare?

>near future

unlikely

>sometime in the future

who the fuck knows

No, UBI would lead to the same social problems the current welfare states are experiencing: family breakdown, demographic declines, social fragmentation, and widespread apathy.

Human beings have a need to struggle and feel like they are earning their place in society.

I find the idea fascinating but it can only work locally right now. That means you have to build borders and walls to keep people from shitholes out. I do think that in the future AI is going to do a lot of the jobs that humans do today and the demand for unskilled workers will sink to an all time low. When that happens i think a basic income is feasable, removes the different and complicated wellfare systems and can benefit society. However it is not possible to do this without a wall or something similar and a lot more people will simply play video games all day.

So this leads basically to a society split in 3 classes. The ones that own the robots/ai, the ones who benefit from the robots via basic income and general lazyness and the rest of the world which do not benefit from the robots at all.

Giving all legal citizens a basic income will not only raise the general standard of living for all, but will completely eliminate most bureaucratic offices like SNAP, UI, and WIC - and cost LESS than what it does for running those agencies including the current spending they have today.

It will improve the quality of life for millions.

Everyone's rent gets raised by whatever the government is handing out and nothing changes.

Not until robots wipe your great grandpas ass and drive him to the robot doctor.

Most unskilled work is customer service. And robot will not start to build houses or repair them anytime soon.

The jobs that can be replaced by AI soon are already only a small percentage of the workforce.

I bet an Idiot like you would have said the same 100 years ago when still most people worked in agriculture and "predicted" that the million would live in wealth supported by a few tractor drivers.

An hero, lazy shit.

Universal Income will always be a disaster of an idea until we become so technologically advanced, we can create burgers out of thin air. And once we reach that point, why the fuck would we need UI?

Can it pass yes, will it fail?

You tell me, every swinging dick that doesn't want to work will go on govt welfare. You think productive people outnumber lazy ones?

So just how high will you tax to afford this nation destroying policy?

>So just how high will you tax to afford this nation destroying policy?
It would be physically impossible to implement a tax that can be paid to cover the expenses, as it would have to be WELL above 100%.

need more robots

Not until full automation of like 95% of jobs.

>universal basic income

There's work that needs to be done and someone needs to do it.

In the future there will still be work that needs to be done, but it might not be true that someone needs to do it (automation). Until that happens though, any attempt to institute UBI will end in disaster.

In addition, any possible success of UBI must be in a country with strong immigration laws. A government giving handouts to a certain number of people will find themselves in a lot of trouble when that number doubles or triples from shitskins flooding into the country in search of gibsmedats.

Most likely it will happen.

Automation is coming and it's going to leave a lot of people out of work.

Dont we live in wealth? You have cheap drinkable tabwater, have somthing to eat whenever you feel like it and live in a warm house. Furthermore you use a pc and can communicate with nearly every human on this planet in an instance. And you dont even have to work that hard to pay for that livestyle if you are modest.

When it come to jobs the next ones to go will be the truckers who will be replaced by self driving or semi-self driving cars. Factory workers are being replaced by robots since pretty much 100 years. Customer service can be replaced by machines at least to a degree even today. Most big supermarkets i went to have at least one self-buy checkout and when it comes to consulting robots can do it too but its still a bit more inconvinient than asking a human. Maybe your neighbourhood waitress is not being upgraded into a robot any time soon but in the bigger picture it will happen.

>You have cheap drinkable tabwater

>what happens if we try communism one more time-*millions of people die of starvation*