Is studying engineering a meme

Obviously you're better off burning your money than going to college for a liberal arts degree, but what about studying a hard science? Is it worth going to college to study engineering or is it just a meme as well? What's the best engineering to major in?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITT_Technical_Institute
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Get into a mid-tier university, do slightly better than average and you're guaranteed a solid job.
From a reputable site:
> Engineering program dropout rates depend strongly on how much of a mathematics background the student has. Inability to handle the course load in calculus, statistics or linear algebra is the leading academic cause listed. Because of this, more prestigious engineering programs, like MIT, CalTech and UC Berkeley, tend to have lower dropout rates.

Yes

do electrical engineering it will never go out of style

I hear that a lot. What sets electrical engineering from the rest?

I'll always regret not getting a trade. I think college is shit (I graduated (STEM) so don't try to discredit me by saying I'm just salty I didn't finish it)

Flow of electrons.

Is it worth going to college to study engineering or is it just a meme as well?
Yes it is worth and yes it is a meme because jobs come easy if you are not a complete sperg.

What's the best engineering to major in?
Really depends where you want to live. Some US cities are made for just 1 specific industry.

This. Electrical eng is the S Tier of engineering. Other fields are fine, but EE is god.

Engineering in general is one of the few careers worth going to school for. 4 years and you're out with a great career path.

Also, engineers in general are the most based and it's not close.

It's all about designing and building things ran on microchips. Given that the future is only going to get even more dependent on that shit, that field is going to keep booming.

I meant to ask why so many people suggest studying it as a career choice as opposed to other fields

There's a shit job market for chemical and civil

Electrical, biomedical and mechanical are always in demand

Sounds like you need a swirly in my high flow toilet nEErd
Get with the MEn

Nah but I respect you electrical engineers, a lot of the conceptual stuff you guys do is fascinating

That's more computer engineering.

Of course it is.
Studying anything in depth is a meme. You should have a broad overview of everything, so that you can pick the right man for the job when you need something doing.
Anyone actually doing the work is a good goy, real men should be directing and managing the work.

Civil engineering pays well

Worth it if you have an IQ above 130.

Else it's a waste of money, learn a trade instead.

Computer engineer here.

Honestly man look up potential local jobs first, at least down here everything comes does to either programming or design. I ended up as a code monkey (I enjoy it tho) but there are a lot of non related engineers that have a hard time finding worthwhile jobs.

Everybody is going to need electricity and electricity-driven devices in the future. 20 years from now, 50 years from now, 100 years from now.

EE is very broad.

Power systems (power plants, transmission, alternative energy)

Communications (telecom, satellites, wireless, fiber optics)

Control systems (automation)

Robotics

Electronics (processors, circuit design, microcontrollers)

Etc.

There's also a lot of crossover into computer science, physics, biometrics, medical, and other fields.

I've found that EEs are the most flexible and can do just about anything.

But user what if we become the electricity?

>But user what if we become the electricity?
We already are.

Yeah EE and ME are probably the most broad because of how much their work and systems interacts with each other
An EE has to be an amateur ME and an ME has to be an amateur EE

I've looked into taking Electrical Engineering at my local institute of technology. Electrical has the lowest requirements of all engineering programs at this school. I was told this is because the other engineering fields directly prepare you for a certain position compared to EE which is much more broad.

From what I have read in this thread it sounds like EE should be one of the harder ones to get into. What gives? Is my school just retarded?

I was comparing EE to power engineering and civic engineering if anyone is curious.

Read "The Master Builder" by Henrick Ibsen it will answer your question

This is true. They are all about do what interests you, but you really as a youth need to look at where you want to be geographically as much.

Find something that interests you that you can get a job doing around where you want to live.

>making money is a meme

Are you that bad at Math?

I'd go with a BS in computer engineering. You'll do a mix of EE and CS work, but it will give you a pretty good background for entering the market. There's a strong chance you'll end up writting software, but that's where a lot of high paying jobs are.

im studying and working as an engineer, if i could turn back time id go with business/finance or something

>engineering

Ya have fun with that stem meme degree
Go medical all the way faggot, correct me if im wrong but the human body isnt changing unlike the constant change in the engineering feild, youll be replaced in 10 years by more knowledgable candidates with the future in their eyes.

Trauma surgeon here, can 100% say medical is best field for stability and money

You get what you put into it man.

I know several recent college grads at my work place (high profile aerospace facility) that are lazy and dumb as fuck and got thrown in the blue collar schlub department until they prove themselves.

Others come and get promoted within a few months because work ethic/passion/not retarded and critically thinks.

just remember; a university can't give you anything more than an oppurtunity.. what you do with that oppurtunity is up to you user.

I'm having a hard time deciding between electric engineering and computer science. But I think I'm leaning more towards computer science. I think both are great fields that are not going to go away anytime soon.

How do you think you get yourself into a position to be in charge?
Do you know which one has a better potential career path?
Never gotten my iq tested but I know I'm not stupid.
I really wouldn't mind moving anywhere for a job desu

If you just want to make money you're best bet is becoming a dentist

>Institute of Technology

In America that means low tier

Their """electrical""" program probably means teaching you basic shit like how to use a multimeter and spectrum analyzer.

So you can care for your mouth after all the Dick you suck?
Because that's where the real money is at

>MIT is low tier

I don't know. All my friends who studied STEM related degrees are in a good position I would say. The only exception is a girl who is now a housewife

>dealing with fat unhealthy lards everyday

Would rather live under a bridge

Housewife is the dream

There's a lot of crossover into CompE with EE now too. Many schools now offer only an ECE degree with the option to specialize in either EE or CE towards the end of your academic career.

That's the exception

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITT_Technical_Institute

don't do computer science. That is the memiest of degrees.

Market is saturated with people who started doing that shit when they were like 5. Chances of finding a job will be slimmer compared to engineering; especially if you aren't the best at what you do.

besides; EE and ME will have you interacting with that stuff on an mid to ametuer level anyway.

Jobs don't really judge the degree, it's just a foot in the door; a qualifyer if you will. What they really care about is the meat and potatoes; what have you done and accomplished, are you good at it and how many skills do you have.

i know plenty of engineers who make a lot of money with an IQ of less than a hundred.
So no.
It just depends how hard you work in school.

Fair enough

My dad was a physician so I know for sure that's not what I want to do.
Why?
Thanks for the advice. I'm really interested in aerospace, do you like it? What did you major in?

Software engineering is where all the money will be. The people that crack deep AI will be fucking balling, basically the new Apple/Google.

Wish I'd done that instead of faggy aerospace

Go CompE and you'll be doing a mix of both

Whats a trauma surgeon ?

this. Don't be a lazy asshole and actually try and you will go places in life.

>engineering
>science
Anyway as long as you're not a retard you should be okay

tfw EE but hang out with ME and CE guys because they are randomly the only Chads of STEM who work out and shit

Computer Science isn't really worth it. You can learn that stuff easily as a hobby.

Also the field is saturated by H1B hires and Indians who will write shitty code for 10% of the cost and stupid managers will still contract work to them.

It's a meme. Don't major in it, w-they're full. Not any jobs at all, don't even waste your time checking

Puts band aids on metaphorical boo boos in liberal hug boxes
But actually they're like a first responder surgeon that stabilizes patients

>hurr durr hard sciences

Dude, 99% of the cunts who study hard sciences end up being teachers. Why would you want that?

Just because something is 'hard science' doesn't mean that it has any actual value in society. Being a good lawyer is way better than being a good mathematician. If you're not a genius in hard sciences, you're literally wasting your time.

If you're a genius, go for it. There are none of those guys on Cred Forums though.

I know of projects with the aim to build roboters, to replace physicans. Some dignostics robots/Programms are already better than fifty percent of all human physicans.

>How do you think you get yourself into a position to be in charge?
KEK
This guy REALLY thinks you can work your way to the top. HAHAHAHA.

Aerospace engineering pay scale $60-120k

Not a meme!

>housewife
Lucky bitch

What in god's name is faggy about aerospace??

60k is a meme.

Because 99 percent of all students are actual not realy scientist, but archivists of knowledge and were never good enough to do make any noticable scientific process.

Never went but I'm changing that in January.

I'm just saavy because I've been doing this stuff for 6 years now. Eating shit in the gauntlet is the best way to learn and I will never under appreciate the days I spent sweating in a romanian run machine shop because now I get to sit on my fat ass all day doing "engineering" projects.

Aerospace is like being in an abusive relationship. You keep hanging on because you think he can change and you find pleasure in spots of the relationship but he's always there to undercut your value, verbally abuse you and makes retarded decisions.

Progress*

Holy fuck...this

I got degrees in math and economics. a friend of mine got math degree, got master in teaching, he's a teacher now

I thought he was smart...but nope. few days ago he told me some students asked him why he was vegetarian

"because I'm going to die at some point anyway, might as well save the Earth while I'm around"

and then the student asked if he would eat an animal if the alternative was starving to death, to which he replied that he wouldn't, and he would just starve

guess who he's voting for?

If you're smart enough to consider the cost:benefit analysis of a college degree, you will will be fine with whatever you do as long as you keep being smart about how you make choices.

Look, real redpill on education here:

-By a number of measures, which I will expand on later, the situation for people going through post-secondary schooling has been getting worse.
-BUT, that is a symptom of a larger problem, because what you don't often hear about is how it has become EVEN WORSE, for people not going through post-secondary schooling
-I will cover trades later, the situation is complicated there
-One of the big factors in all of this is the way our economy has been changing in the US. We are not seeing much of a change in the supply/demand of goods and services in a way which would foster favorable conditions for fresh labor. I.e. Because of how the market is, the demand for new labor participants across the entire economy is objectively lower relative to the population than it has been in the past.
-This is caused by a number of factors and trying to compile an accurate picture in the present is always difficult, however a few big culprits are the big sources of gains in our economy wind the recession being industries which do not significant hiring of new labor
-Another thing which is not talked about, a lot of these "boohoo so sad" stories about Johnny Smith who can't find work and pay off his degree aren't actually new phenomena. There have been more of these people (+5% since 2000) lately and more importantly the cost of education has skyrocketed.

Now what does this all mean put together? It basically boils down to: the economic conditions for young people suck, they are still way better for people who have an education than don't, the promise that everything would be fine if you just go to college was never true, but is less true today, and finally the cost of college has been rising at an incredibly fast rate.

I have several friends who went to school for engineering and they all have good jobs now. I'd steer clear of petroleum engineering and maybe aerospace engineering though.

Do you want that medic robot from Star Wars or Bones from Star Trek? Yeah, I thought so!

I think most people are scared of electricity as fuck. It can kill, so most average people will not go near it - even other engineers will avoid it as much as possible especially when important systems are involved.

T. mech. engineer

Exactly.

That's why you should not study hard sciences if you're not a genius/autist

If you aren't hard working and self motivating (necessary traits to be successful in business), going to college isn't going to change that.

Are you retarded? I can get an EE degree in a third of the time as med school and still start 80k after easily getting a job.

Plus, no offense but how does serving other people progress society towards the future? While we're building majestic cityscapes and quantum computers eventually capable of eclipsing the human mind, you'll be sitting in some office serving another fat dude with diabetes using tools some biomed engineer made for you. Kys you arrogant faggots.

>all this aerospace hate

What gives?

Some things you need to understand about aerospace;

The entire industry is dominated by stuck in their ways baby boomers that don't know shit about the current world or current economics, the Unions can be absolutely crushing and it's a feast or famine industry for most companies. either everything is booming or it's dead in the water and you're getting laid off.

My company does pretty well for itself but man, these fucking baby boomers need to die already. We sabotage ourselves all the time with their shitty logic. Some of the people will encounter here are duuuuuuuuuuumb as fuck.

Enjoy being replaced by robots in the future

Holy fuck finally.

Engineering is absolutely a meme. It's so fucking stupid.

Study Business, take easier classes, get higher marks, go to a better school, and get a higher pay job with more free time.

Business majors at legit schools make way more money than engineers. If you can go to a half decent engineering school then you'll be able to get into an even better business school

Engineering is a fucking joke. Leave it to the shitskins

networked systems engineering is the way to go

it's what everything is gonna using soon

Aerospace industry is completely sewn up. Only a handful of companies have the resources to compete, so near impenetrable barrier to entry, so zero innovation in the last few decades.

The only signs of innovative thinking are in the military, and the current western fighter jet project is an absolute shit show.

I guess it will be kinda cool when uav's become more mainstream, but thats a long way away and it will almost certainly be dominated by the same 3/4 usual suspects.

>hur dur get to tell people i'm a rocket scientist

that meme got old after one week

I think the knock on trades is that they are mainly all dangerous:

welding = melt your fingers together, burn out eyes
plumbing = infection, some fucked up sewer croc bites you
electrical = death
carpentry = saw blades cut off your body parts
anything not listed = major back pain and arthritis/joint ailments

Also that its surprisingly hard to get into, like you have to go to a certain college to get a certain bit of knowledge BUT you must also be able to network so that a master will apprentice you, and you should probably not be a dick and look for someone to apprentice which means you need to not be anti-social sperglord.

College jobs are so easy in comparison, just get your skillset, learn how to do calculus, make a resume' go on indeed.com and get interview, don't be sperg and badabing.

Im doing MBA in a top 10 program. Engineers make up more of our body than any other professions. The engineers Ive met are pretty much all very bright and respectable.

They also have average salary of $120k and average age of program is 29.

No other profession can boast this. It is great in terms of undergrad decisionmaking.

Most have grad as well though.

What does Cred Forums think of Computer Engineering?

I'm in my last year of my CpE degree and I think the course material is a decent mix of EE and CS, but it seems like every company/job posting seems to think CpE is the same thing as CS.

I want to do actual engineering work, re: hardware when I graduate. Most of the jobs around chip design or microcontrollers/FPGA seem to be looking for EE's, not CpE's.

Most of the graduating CpEs from my college seem to go into programming.

Did I fuck myself by picking a degree not suited for the type of work I want to go into?

I've got about a years experience working in a Robotics shop, mainly doing GUI and algorithm design for moving stepper motors around in robots to do things.

Do I just have impostor syndrome? I can't help but shake the feeling that I'm going to be fucked when I graduate unless I want to go into programming.

To add to this...

Please do not study aerospace engineering. It's only kids that get excited by something fancy and fall for an "original" program

THERE IS NO JOBS. and the few jobs there are will pay nothing and have no prospects. Please do not waste your redpill on this bullshit.

Mechanical Engineering & Chemical are the only ones worth your effort. It seems boring and plain but its the truth

What is spacex?

good joke user

The fact that you think it's easier to go to college for four years and rack up tens of thousands of dollars in debt than it is to just cold clock a bunch of contractors and construction businesses proves you're an antisocial speed. The implication that you need to attend school before getting an apprenticeship is also bogus.

If you're Canadian jump off a bridge

>cold clock
call*

>speed
Sped*

Fuck my piece of shit phone

K well I'm gonna go get my aerospace education now...

An anomaly at best.

One company in the past few decades that was founded by a millionaire and would have been bankrupted years ago if nasa didnt bail them out.

You can't rest the advancement of an entire industry on people like Elon Musk, I don't think there will be another one of him for a long time. At least not in our working lives.

Just do what you're better at or enjoy more: do you want to design circuits and shit? or do you prefer coding?

I'm an EE and am 1 and a half years from graduating but just want to code and shit because Matlab and c++ were the only classes I really enjoyed... But it's a sunken cost, I think I'll end up doing comp engineering since CompE and EE are virtually the same classwise

>still start 80k after easily getting a job.

I know a handful of guys with a bachelors in EE. They all started off at $50k-$60k back around 2010. They've all moved up and are making close to or over $100k salary now though. I'm not saying that you won't make good money in EE, I just think that $80k starting is being a bit generous with your expectations.

>he fell for the computer engineering meme

Should have gone straight CS or EE, no one fucking knows what a "computer engineer" is, that's why they never get hired.

>founded by a millionaire

Like that's rare?

why's the demand shit for chemical? I always thought they had the broadest job opportunities

This is such bullshit, if everyone goes into professional/financial services then who the fuck is actually going to make the products we trade and build our economy with.

>Business, economic, accounting majors
>Cancer of the western world

And you wonder why China is taking over

Trust me most business mayors today won't, while from time to time you met someone bright, Most of them qualify as secatray at best. But if you are good and able to develop some unique thoughts, the companies will do everything to get you.

They fix people that got their shit fucked up

I mean that you can't even found one without significant capital. No one is going to crowd source/invest in a new and unproven aerospace company.

The only people that can are millionaire's who don't mind squandering their fortune on a venture with a 90% chance of failure.

That is fucking rare.

Because that shit is toxic as fuck. Better to be good at medicinal chemistry and biochemistry.

Biology being the notable exception for this rule. You just need to not be a complete retard, and you'll get a good stable job.

There's always going to be a demand for beer, cheese, clean water, and food that isn't poison. The day we stop wanting beer is the day the world ends.

I think you're good. Computer Science likes to pretend it's a real science, it's really just CS majors sucking their own dicks. Applying information you learn in courses like that, IS engineering. Applying Comp"sci" information? That's pretty legit to me.

They aren't scientists though. CS is pretty engineering-y in itself already.

Going for game design is the meme

A lot of job listings I've seen were looking for EE / CE. You'll probably be fine but you might have to move somewhere else to get a job.

Do you have any experience with PLC's and microcontrollers? That's in pretty high demand now in A LOT of different industries.

what if i go into pharmaceuticals? or energy? always thought that shit was big bucks and easy to get

I live by silicon valley bro lol. It's very diff here than, say, the midwest

>Meme level of college degrees
Low Meme: Chemistry, Law, Medical, Software
Mid Meme: Economics, Engineering, Mathematics
High Meme: English, Liberial Arts, Psychology
Epic Meme: Art, Automotive, Business, Game, Hotel Management, Marine Bio, Sociology

Depends most companies in Western Europe have high saftey Standards and Most School chemistry teachers at school will have higher levles of chemical contamination, than your average chemical engineer.

Kek

Ah, true. It's also extremely fucking expensive to live there. I'd wager that $50k starting in Dallas or Houston (where most of my engineering friends found work) would go a lot farther than $80k starting in Silicon Valley.

Because understanding financial valuation and economics is far more marketable as a global service than being a mediocre engineer that "goes through the motions" and can easily be replaced by a nip that can barely speak english

I know pol won't like this but there's legitimate certified skills in the business world that protect your jobs better than an engineering degree

Building products?? They have large teams under a select few people. The economy has turned into:
1 genius invents something and then everyone else innovates it (financially & engineering)

Yes America has the best pharmaceutical schools, but it is as tough as medical school from what I hear.

Energy(biofuels), I think you can have success as a start up company.

>tfw dropped out end of third year
sometimes regret it, sometimes i don't. it was a pretty hellish experience

What a stupid fucking question.

It doesn't matter if it's "worth" it. You have to be accredited to work in engineering, period. It's not a question of worth - it's mandatory.

>Low Meme: ... Law ...

I've been hearing for several years now that the market is oversaturated with law students and that it's a poor career path to take unless you manage to get into a top-tier law school.

>engineering
>business/economics
>medicine
>law
Literally every other degree is shit or a useless meme degree

Kek, yeah going to a top business program is an epic meme.

Those poor Ross & Fuqua students won't know what to do with their $90k starting salaries

Good thing you guys all went into compsci so you can work back office IT for the secretary. You sure showed them

pretty meme tier. It's still a viable choice if you like engineering and office space. Suggestion: Look up jobs that fit the description of the major to see what the work environment looks like.

>sage from previous thread

Agree even the low meme have a good amount of meme, chemistry will here i Germany make you a teacher if you don't go for the phd. The medical field Will Play of, but you will have to work hard, at Night and often 60 plus ours a week. Software and law Will pay of but you have to be part of the best 40 percent.

Yeah true, I personally never meet chemistry grads who found high paying jobs without their job tied to biology or medical fields, maybe that is just the job market here in Denmark.

Finance industry is completely over saturated with econ majors and tech companies are desperate for stem fields..why do you think so many governments are pouring resources into getting more kids into coding...

>can be easily replaced
implying the skills required to obtain an econ degree are greater than an engineering degree

Not econ, finance. Huge difference between economics students and finance students.

If you can get into a half decent engineering school then you'll be able to get into a solid finance school. Much better life

I guess because the industry is run by a few big megacorps and they don't employ more than they need, mostly keep producing what works

Also your CFA & CPA will protect you for most of your life. Way more protection than a P.Eng

Well not a poor one if you spent your time efficiently in the law school. I have several friends who took their LSAT and they are doing well after graduating from a law school that wasn't top-tier.

And this is coming from a mid-level law school graduate who is making some serious money.

Of course if you're not in the, let's say best 30%, you can literally abandon your hopes of becoming a lawyer. That's how it should be though. Law schools are full of retards who think that they deserve something just because they are studying law, and then end up having shitty GPA. Then they complain how the market is bad and unfair.

And yes, your GPA means a lot. Law firms won't hire spineless tards, ever.

>because 99% of all business degrees come from top 1% schools.
Get fucked. 99% of all business students end up as low end managers for the rest of their lives making 40k a year.

Even the retards in IT degrees make it out of school with 110k a year in the tech industry.

Lawyers are oversaturated, you are correct on that. But it's really easy to get into Bio Tech or other adversory positions that could with a 90k+ salary.
>The technical writer that covers all the documents my team is a law degree student that graduated a year ago. Makes about 95k at the moment; good kid, does a good job.

There are some, my uncle is higher up, and has some labs under his supervison. He studied Bio chemistry and got accepted for phd. stop it when a Company approced him and told him he could tell them the best sallery he Imagined for him and they would pay it. But i guess other times and being the excaption from what normaly is the case, is what lead to this Story.

It's really hard. It's not that individual courses are especially difficult, it's that five pretty difficult courses at once is overwhelming.

We are the most diverse field after mechanical. Everything from lighting to radio communication is based off of electrical theory and how it all works is very difficult. I did research in undergrad wth no internship and was able to get 2 offers less than 2 weeks after graduation. I applied to 3 places.

>Huge difference between economics students and finance students
Lol, this is what anglos think because their colleges offer 20 different meme degrees. In most countries it doesn't matter to anyone but you if you studied business adminstration, economics, finance, accounting, international managment... whatever. Most of those majors offer programs of the others anyway and the only person who will insist on having studied "finance, not economics!!" and "muh snowflake degree" is yourself.

Gear maker here, that fucking pic is triggering me.

the proportion of mba grads going into finance is dropping year on year, the smart people are jumping ship.

Look, there is undeniably a shortage of STEM field graduates and its a much harder degree to obtain.

Though the money doesn't reflect it (yet) engineers will soon become more valuable in order to plug the gap. The opposite will/is happening for finance majors. Your golden age is coming to an end, time to jump ship.

If you're unsure of what you want to specifically do after graduation. ECE or ME are your best bets due to the sheer range of uses it has. In which you can specialize later in an occupation or graduate school afterwards.

Not if you go to a top 20 school burger

If you're capable of doing engineering at a good school then you'll be able to go to a top business school. Just do some volunteer work or some bullshit and you'll pass the extra curricular standard.

These aren't the same guys working at rent-afucking-car

People with their CPA & CFA aren't low-end managers. They're analysts that work in small teams doing research and analysis.

You guys are thinking of "pure finance". I'm talking about the skills based finance jobs like valuations and logistics

I really wish I picked EE instead of aerospace engineering (which is basically mechanical with 2-3 extra classes). Sounds way more interesting and it seems like EE are more valuable because you don't learn this stuff elsewhere.

>valuations and logistics
Should note that the line got blurred awhile ago especially when Industrial Engineering is starting to come to. Also why IE is the fastest growing engineering degree there due to being that bridge between professions.

4 years is the low tier one in the Netherlands. If you want to become a real engineer (MSc) it's 5 years.
Still have 2 years to go myself but currently the average time before you have a job is -2 months. Meaning you got one before you graduate. All people I know studied some bullshit social studies and are looking for ages just to get a shitty one.

It's quite interesting and people are not as dumb as liberal art students.

we both fell hard for the aerospace meme

>feels bad man

You likley picked it at the Wrong Place.

Basically anything from natural sciences or law school.

I'm doing industrial engineer (the engineer one and not the "engineer" one) and its really broad as well. Over 5 years you choose where you end up and it ranges from logistics, robotics, ict and chemical production engineering.

Engineering is pretty based, especially in nuclear. Because of 35 year gap in nuclear brainforce due to post TMI shenanigans, the old fucks are now retiring faster then fresh blood is pouring in. You can advance career much faster there than any other field, and there is a steady demand.

t. 28y/o making just shy of 160k. And my boss retires next year and I'm next in line to replace him.

this is because most people can't computer. they try to make even mathematicians do light programming, so CpE is already sold as programming in many listings.
Microcontrollers/FPGA are totally CompEng though so it should be possible to get a job like this. If they actually never put CompEng there, start applying to them anyways. It's literally half of our studies.

Meh, there's a large overlap in something like IE and Operations management. One of the issues is that there's a pretty large swath of completely unnecessary education in engineering for that job.

SAP knowledge and a low level mathematical understanding of distribution systems and supply chain analysis will do very well. Amazon offers high level internships to MBA's with this type of education.

> Top 20 Business School
> Math Minor & Logistics/Supply Chain Major
> Don't be a psychopath, pick up a sport, volunteer at a soup kitchen and you're good

My point is the math is still important, but you can severely undercut a large part of the engineering knowledge (along with the grievance and torture education). The "prestigious" jobs that take you through rotational programs are much better than entry level engineering jobs. You usually need a business degree to get into these rotationals.

You gotta do what you love. There was plenty of competition for my job, over 100 people applied for the position, so it's not like we are super rare. The trick to getting a job, at least in my experience, I'd to show an interest in the stuff outside of a professional environment. I was a hobbyist with side projects and people really like that

What matters is really your university. Put aside bad universities and meme tier things like political science, sociology, literature and you'll find a job

So, don't go for fake diplomas and for fake universities

what about computer science lads

How bad is it? :( Tell me more about it, I'm only in the second semester.

How do you mean this? What are good aerospace universities?

Oh and btw if there are law school students here reading: do not fall for the 'human rights' meme. It will lead you to the career of a shit tier university lecturer or you'll be a low-salary ngo-monkey. It's just as bad as political sciences and shit.

Law is not safe if you don't choose the field in which you'll specialise carefully.

t.

With all these computer science is meme posts i'm guessing I.T. and Information systems is also meme. True?

Is using the word meme a meme at this point?

I would agree on the operations research, this is what Sets you apart, from the dumb average Business mayor. The Business mayor is not something that will likley get you in high Level Management, but if you Chose the right uni and classes, had some internships mid Level Management is in reach.

I wouldn't. The field is loaded with Indians with H1-Bs who work for pennies on the dollar according to one of my parents whose a Computer Scientist. Only go into it if you can get a security clearance or come from another technical background.

T. An electrical engineer whose applying for his masters in Comp Sci

absolutely. In germoney there is almost no tuition, your studying program is mostly like a library card. so it's relatively easy to schedule the courses as it makes most sense to you.

nearly all of the reputable engineering jobs you will apply for will be looking for mechanical engineers.

you'll spend half the interview convincing them that aerospace is still a legit degree, assuming you get an interview

no one in hr really understands what aerospace is, so they tend to look for mechanical/civils instead. save yourself friendo, transfer to mechanical.

Munich and Aachen
maybe Stuttgart

On it's own, it isn't good.
For those who needs code monkeys, there a bunch of low tier guys against you. For projects that require a bit more, many engineers can do the necessary coding work that doesn't necessitate a pure programmer.

You're too "specialized" to be applicable to anything else but aerospace. Mechanical engineers can pretty much get the same exact jobs with a little more effort later on but get the benefit of broader realm that comes with the name.

Fuck this makes me want to go back in time. I hope it's different germany. Everyone said I'll be able to get any mechanical engineers job and can work in almost any industry.

I'm in Stuttgart and it's ok I guess. We're lucky that the name of your university doesn't matter as much in germany as in the UK and US

Business majors are a fucking joke on it's own. Reason is simple, it's so fucking easy to get it that the market gets oversaturated. If everybody has it, nobody does.

This is the same reason why you usually have to pair your business degree with something else to make it worthwhile. It's utter shit on its own.

>Everyone said I'll be able to get any mechanical engineers job and can work in almost any industry.
It's the complete opposite though. ME can anything an aerospace guy can get. Not the other way around. Bail out now if you have the chance. ME and Aerospace courses are pretty much identical early on.

>but get the benefit of broader realm that comes with the name.
It's really the name I think because (at least in germany) mechanical and aerospace are 90% the same during the bachelor.
It's even worse here because with mechanical everyone knows you're a qualified engineer but aerospace is called "Luft- und RaumfahrtTECHNIK" here which makes it sound like a shitty fake degree for people who don't know much about it.

I just should have gone into economics.

Mechanical Engineering grad here. unemployed for slightly over 2 years.

It was my fault for picking a shitty choice. I picked mechanical when canada has 0 manufacturing and now 0 oil jobs. I was under the impression that I could work overseas but you typically need solid connections or 5+ years of experience. I did get calls back when applying in the US, pretending to be a US citizen... so engineering is not totally dead in the US, yet.

Generally you want to go into a field that is in demand in your geographical area. Protip: don't pick industrial engineering if all the industrial/manufacturing jobs are moving to mexico.

Generally civil and electrical engineering are safe bets. You also want to network as hard as you study.

And in Germany most people know what you are and you are likley to get a better payment, than the average mechanical Engineer.

>business
>a bullshit major people take so they can maximize their party time because the homework is only like 1 essay and 4 pages of reading each week yet it sounds solid enough to convince their parents they're actually doing something worthwhile while not actually doing anything worthwhile

Pick two.

Source: every frat party ever.

Would you say EE is even better? Also what's your source on all of this? Already looking for a job?

I went to a careers fair at my university and had a small talk with an electrical engineer who said that in the UK there is a shortage of elec engineers

Which makes their pay marginally higher for the amount of work they have to put in

i beg to differ as a mechanical.

Maybe in the US it is worth it... and same with your aerospace degree. you need to go where the jobs are and Canada has JACK SHIT.

tfw 28y/o unemployed mechanical engr.

should i switch to ee from cs?

Imo yes. Job prospects and payment seem better and personally EE would be more interesting for me. Just pick the one you're better at

How long until companies decide to start outsourcing engineers? I know some jobs just can't be outsourced but can't a lot of engineering jobs just be sent to someone overseas?

This is half-right. Take something like Industrial engineering with a business minor. Work for a while, then get an MBA. You will be golden. Making more money than the dime-a-douzen business students who didn't know what to take so they just went with business so they'd have a low course load and a decent degree.

>he didn't do based mechanical engineering

Kek, I managed to land a job in the aerospace industry (jet engine design) before I even graduated.

Mech eng pretty much shits on all other disciplines as you can go into almost any area you want depending on your penultimate and final year course selections

Aerospace doesn't even come close to the breadth of mechanical engineering. Sure, you guys know your way around an aerofoil but when it comes to things like robotics and engine design (auto and jet) you barely know shit.

How many fucking different engineering degrees do you have in the UK and US? We have mechanical, aerospace, electrical and civil. The rest is very rare and mostly from "Fachhochschulen" (wannabe universities)

Is there like a single degree only for nuclear eng. for example?

EE student here. Graduating in December and have a job starting at 80k/year

The only degree that's not a meme

You can have all the eng. degrees in the world and still not have a job while having a gender studies diploma and being the chief of universities committee as is the case in Israel.
It's all about how good you are at fixing a position for yourself.

There are a ton of specialized engineering degrees in the USA but the majority of universities will usually split off into mechanical, electrical/computer, civil, and chemical. Industrial may be there as well. Everything else is considered a specialized focus degree.

This is me but a year and in SE Texas. ME is fucked anywhere but the Midwest is the US right now. I'll be damned if I move to CA too.

Yeah but i had a 2.5 with my chem degree and no one wants me

>engineering major ending up as teacher

Quality post
>engineering requires being a genius

Every degree is a meme if you don't actually get off your ass to network and secure your positions. You should start the process in your freshman years of university. Go to career fairs, shoot applications everywhere, get your name somehow out there.

You guys made me really nervous about aerospace... I'll see if I can switch into mechanical.

I hoped the exact degree won't matter because engineering = engineering and that networking is more important.

The majority of the population should not go to college especially not into engineering. It depends on your own aptitude, but most people need to be getting vocational training that is much cheaper and drills application without too much theory. Too many people are going into schools and getting in debt to escape this dichotomy that has been pushed saying you either go to college or work at mcdonalds. While blue collar, mid-tech work has been majorly outsourced from the US, it shouldn't promote incompetent people to go for degrees to get into positions requiring higher analytical skills they lack. Curriculum is being downgraded to fit the less intelligent that are paying, and people are being passed through higher education just like grade school without gaining skills and grasping the knowledge. In turn, it devalues these degrees and now more jobs than ever are requiring college graduates for work that doesn't need someone with a college education, simply because college education is becoming the norm. It's honestly a scam for most people.

So really, if you truly have the aptitude and passion, go for it, and you will succeed in as much effort you put in. But there is a lot of room for success in people who utilize trade schools and self study that is often more appropriate and won't leave you in debt for a great portion of your life.

Excuse me, but as a redditor with a political science degree my parents bought me at summer camp school, I think that aerospace engineering is a huge accomplishment.

just graduated engineering here, and I've had a good amount of job interviews/offers so far, but none in my field

don't pigeonhole yourself into just doing meche work - you have strong quantitative skills, leverage that when you apply for shit

there's a reason why india and china have millions of intelligent engineers who study with a rigor that would break 99% of americans but still don't create Googles or Microsofts

their culture is too cutthroat - you need freedom to innovate. you can't innovate if you're in a constant rat race and you're forced to study from the moment you wake up to the moment you go to sleep

they can do the shitty work, and they do - india has a ton of code monkeys. but americans will always be creating the shitty work for them to do, and reaping profits off of the bigger picture idea

source: poo in loo who lives in the US

fuck meant to respond to

>Study Business, take easier classes, get higher marks, go to a better school, and get a higher pay job with more free time.
This guy is right.

To anyone who reads this and is not too late into it: Unless engineering REALLY (!) interests you just go into business/finance/economics... it doesn't matter. The amount of work you'll have to put into a good engineering degree will get you a excellent economics degree and you'll have to network in both anyway to land a decent job. The same amount of learning and networking will get you a very good job in finance but only an ok job in engineering from my experience.

>in last semester of EE
>already accepted job offer
>start a week after I graduate

Do it faggot

But employers will always hire the guy with the more diplomas other things being equal, plus no one, i repeat, NO ONE will train you on the job, you'll have to come with qualifications, so you must study first.

Ok seems like I can get out of the hell called aerospace and swtiching to other engineering majors is easy.

Electrical or mechanical Cred Forums?

Out of all STEM feilds, engineering is the most cucked.

Undergrad degrees tend to be: Mechanical Aerospace, Civil, Chemical and Electrical. Some universities will then do their own combinations of modules that can be traced back into these disciplines as well as adding other modules and rebranding as a different type of engineering. At a masters level is when you tend to find the more specialized type of engineering.

All that rigor is gone to waste when you can't think outside the box. One of my old lecturers was so tired of hearing the complaints regarding the uselessness of chinese students–as well as other incidents– in group work that he made ¨chinese only¨ groups, none of them did a good job.

Since in Germany you still make shit I would go to Mechanical. Electrical might be a big leap of faith.

Got a degree in graphic design in a community college (paid minimum $600 for all classes and fees), working as a design coordinator for an advertising firm making $55k a year, not that bad.

>Market is saturated with people who started doing that shit when they were like 5.

Wish people that have no idea what they are talking about would stop peddling this lie. I literally had like 2 personal projects (both mobile apps) when I got my comp sci degree and my phone didn't stop for weeks when I made myself available for hire.

It's a meme if you don't learn to code much. But if you are half competent you will find work.

>mechanical engineering
>chemistry
>software engineering
>robotics
>machining
>cnc

Basically anything that relates to hard reality. Dont listen to keks that play the trades vs design game, combine both

a girlfriend of mine for a M.eng job in cali (dual citizen) for 13/hr, she upped her wage to 15/hr last year.

Yeah. I have a sample size of 1... but it doesn't look great.

a friend of mine, mech engr already ended up as a teacher in thailand.

I am a design engineer and I am 23, went uni and learnt how to use design software for years

you couldnt pay me 1mm to be around radiation m8

sorry not sorry

i agree with you... the thing is Canada has no innovation. it is very difficult to find a job that needs quantitative skills here compared to US, Germany, Austria.

Canada is literally the white trash of the western world, highly skilled people need not apply.

>design engineer
>design
>engineer

I don't know if there's a special name for it but being an 'Air compressor Engineer' is great fun. Always work available, too dangerous for your average user to bother and a somewhat nice salarium.

What fields have you been reaching out to?

Design Engineer. An engineer typically in a product development role who oversees the design of new products. Some specialise in CAD, Some CAE, some solely project manage. As opposed to a production engineer or an electrical engineer.

Sometime you need to realise you are the ignorant jerk.

> Implying that design isn't an engineering practice.

kys

In Portugal we have:
>solid (undergrad)
Mechanical
Electrical
Chemical
Civil
Materials
Computer and Telematics

>shit (undergrad):
Physics
Management
Aerospace

>solid (grad):
Mechanical
Electrical
Chemical
Civil
Industrial Automation
Nuclear
and a few other extremely specific

>shit (grad):
too many to count

The holy grail is really Industrial Automation, as you learn a mashup of mechanical and electrical, with touches of computer engineering.

>Wanting to work for scraps

HAHAHAH

Good job. Nuclear engineering is the true S Tier.

>engineering
>hard science
choose one

>Is there like a single degree only for nuclear eng. for example?

Yes, I was enrolled in the nuclear engineering program at Texas A&M before dropping out of college. There are 2 nuclear test reactors on campus as well as 5 particle accelerators in the Accelerator Lab.

Small market..

There are a shitload of electrical engineering jobs going

I did and undergrad in ME and grad in IA and I learned:
>structures
>usual physics mishmash of everything
>a bit of materials, mainly metals
>thermodynamics, a shitload of it
>mechanical project, ranging from motors to gearboxes and stuff like that
>fluids
>automation (industrial and others)
>product design (shitloads of CAD included)
>technical drawing
>manufactoring (CNC, soldering, etc included)
>operations management
>systems control
>industrial informatics (networks, databases, servers, etc)
>circuit and general electrical designing and projects
>shitload of sensors
>robotics
>computer vision
>programming (MATLAB, Visual Basic, C, C++)
>a bit of general management and economics

>nuclear engineering won't explode once petroleum dries up
Have fun fixing quirky sockets dumbass.

>once petroleum dries up

Do you seriously think that petroleum is going to dry up in under 30 years? Do you not realize that they employ as many, if not more, electrical engineers at nuclear power plants as they do nuclear engineers?

>wanting to be one of the 100 replaceable EEs and be told what to do rather than the irreplaceable NE who tell people what to do

?????????

>Engineer
>irreplaceable

Bullshit, Nuclear engineering undergrad programs are picking up in enrollment and there hasn't been a new nuclear powerplant built in the US for 40 years. If you get fired, your plant shuts down, or you lose your job for any other reason then good luck finding another job.

I make 30k a year as an author with a meme political science degree. My life is a meme. Reminder to everyone that despite the "cut throat" and "no jobs" stuff here, some of us are really on the hustle. I make more editing the copy India fucks up than anything. I see lots of engineering papers - I am baffled by fully all of them. I make dirt doing a job any one of you could probably do as well as me.

I should really switch to Transgender management studies or some other obscure social meme degree and get a job working as a coordinator for you smart people.

>being 24
>living at home

People get reforms, you know?

I've spent the last 2 years learning calc, diff equations, and linear algebra in my own time. Will start an engineering degree next year. Haven't decided on mech e or electrical/electronic.

I'll be almost 30 when I graduate. Going to suck being around kids.