A Japanese Company Wants to Build a Space Elevator by 2050

What does it do?

hashem-alghaili.com/videos/japanese-company-wants-build-space-elevator-2050/

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_ring
alumnus.caltech.edu/~jimmc/spelsim/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_elevator_safety#In_the_event_of_failure
aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2014/12/thieves-fry-kenya-power-grid-fast-food-2014122884728785480.html
youtube.com/watch?v=DLmMf7IegRM
newscientist.com/article/2093356-carbon-nanotubes-too-weak-to-get-a-space-elevator-off-the-ground/
youtube.com/watch?v=r6IZUq6v92I
latimes.com/business/la-fi-hy-musk-subsidies-20150531-story.html
futurism.com/bigger-is-better-jeff-bezos-just-unveiled-his-new-rocket-and-its-mammoth/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

probably the safest place for one honestly

>What does it do?
Guarantee you a monopoly on every single LEO launch, satellite or not, for the next forseeable future.

>finnish education.

Its an elevator to space you dumbass snownigger.

How does it stay together and not swing around violently? I've always thought this idea was retarded

centripetal force

centrifugal force keeps the rope taught. It works by having a counter weight near geostationary orbit.

getting things to space is very expensive. I think it's around 10,000USD per Lb sent into space.

An elevator could do it for a fraction of the cost and could propel a shitton of industries, like material recovery of old satellites, space tourism,next level solar panels and mining the moon. The catch is that a space elevator would have to be like 80 miles tall. If it fell it would devastate an entire region of the planet.

me too..

wind, inertia?

what if u tripped and fell off of it tho

i want to send a pound of beef into space..

10k you say?

It's a meme
Forces involved requires literal magic to hold the thing in place, in one piece

If it's in space then just waddle back to it

If it's with earth's gravity pulling you down, just deploy the chute

Still more realistic proposal than anything that Musk wants to do.

And they even gave themselves a lot of time for it.

We don't have the material for that.

We don't have the materials, orbital anchor, or economies to pull something off like this by 2050. Plus we will probably have WW3 before this so that will be a nice setback too.

I know some of these words.

You need a big rock floating in space to anchor it to. One that hovers over Japan. So good luck with that. I thought generally these elevators were supposed to be at the equator.

>Space Elevator
Whatever happened to him anyway?

He made some real good threads.

for what purpose?

It would costs billions and there is nothing up there

I wonder that too. Even with an anchor, it's going at an insanely fast speed compared to us down on Earth. And just imagine what happens if it gets hit by something. Plus it would be an eyesore, probably destroy some ecosystems (that shadow), and kill thousands, maybe millions, if it was destroyed.

What does it do? It bends and then breaks in half from centrifugal force. Impossible.

It HAS to be at the equator.

I'm stupid about our Earth and space.

A lot of the problem is about maintaining a stable orbit with Earth wasn't it? It's suppose to be like balancing a piece of rice on a needle by throwing it at the needle, right?

Why not make an artificial ring outside of the atmosphere, like a ring world surrounding our own.
Because it would totally surround us it'd maintain a perfect orbit wouldn't it? Gravity would be pulling it from all sides right?

basically if you put a massive counterweight at geosynchronous orbit, the whole thing will stay in place relative to earth. the problem is actually building something that tall and then placing something big enough at the end to act as a counterweight

Take a Yo-yo and let the string out, then spin it in a circle. The string stays taut, and the path of the Yo-yo is stable. Same principles behind a space elevator. The earth is spinning round and round, anchor the tether to the earth and have a big weight at the end, and boom: space elevator.

Problem is that there's no material that can withstand the enormous amounts of tension. All the strongest, rarest materials in the world were exhausted in making Lena Dunham's workout gear

> gundam 00 or Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn

here you go

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_ring

damn dude better tell them quick before they waste all that money

Kek

Gross

>centrifugal force
You must be at least 18 years old to post on Cred Forums, kid.

So they have a material with the necessary tensile strength? Because that's the only think keeping this from actually happening.

>centrifugal
Oh for the love of...

The problem with ring is that it wouldn't actually be in orbit. It would simply be balanced around the earth, relying on even gravitational pull.It will be dealing with pull from the moon, sun, and passing asteroids. You'd constantly have to be correcting the position. If it gets too out of whack, suddenly we have an enormous structure careening out of control and smashing into the Earth like a horseshoe on a pin.
For more, look up "the problem with ringworld"

>What does it do?

Become the biggest target for sandniggers and religious fanatics of every denomination. I want a space elevator but damn how to protect it?

Detaching the cable or destabilizing the orbit could cause a global catastrophe.

I still stay the gigantic rollercoaster that will shoot shit into orbit is better

with earthquakes and everything?

Yeah, like the whole fucking Shimizu Mega City and hundred others techno-fap projects these little shits come up with and never finish.

Sounds like Gundam 00 will be happening about 2100 then.

Who gives a shit Jacob Busey would just blow it up

It is calculated that 1Kg would cost 10$ to Transport to outer spheres instead of 3-5k$ via rockets.

That would mean heavy incoming space Revolution.

Or the rebirth of nuclear energy due to cheap space disposal.

Is this even practical?

Any physics fag care to elaborate how this shit could even be possible, I'd imagine it wouldn't be stable with all the vibrations and resonance.

>destroy some ecosystems (that shadow),
This is the dumbest thing I've read on the internet toady, and I scrolled facebook for a couple hours.

life imitating art..

right now it's not possible, but they are working on better materials such as carbon nanotubes and stuff like that that can auto-repair itself from dust damage, but it seems likely improbable

no sand niggers, Ahmed

It would actually only be really catastrophic if you blew it at the top or middle. Cutting it at the bottom would just cause it to drift off into space. Maybe clip a mountain on the way out. An incident at the top would cause the tether to bullwhip across the equator.

But really, just don't live on the equator.

Haven't heard this idea brought up for a few years, iirc the ideal place to build one was in the Phillipines and I don't know if that's going to happen with everything wrong with their country

a space elevator on earth needs shit like carbon nanotubes and all sorts of wacky other shit to work

a space elevator on the moon though is possible with current materials, iirc a kevlar rope could work

>Thinks buildings/structures can't be earthquake proofed

Welcome to the 21st century there sven. I know you think that Loki causes earthquakes and they will break any building down if he is angry enough... But here in the modern world we actually know how to stop buildings from being damaged in even the most violent of earthquakes.

>cause the tether to bullwhip across the equator.

Seems pretty fucking terrible to me. But then again that's just brown territory so maybe a really expensive way to cleanse the filth?

Buckytubes could do it.
We're also getting to the point where we can reliably manufacture them as well.

The problem is containing them. You can't fasten buckytube wires to anything, as they slice through it like a knife.

go watch the doc. on netflix. According to them they have all math of it figured out, they just dont have materials that support those figures. They figure with the development of carbon nano tubes (strongest material ever created) it will be possible and will revolutionize the way this planet obtains resources

I love you, you glorious slant-eyed bastards. Fucking do it.

Space elevators are a meme space project, Lofstrom loops are much more achievable for basically the same result.

i think a maglev system would probably more viable. would still need insane amounts of power and be only be useful for freight because of the high g-forces involved.

Until gundams powered by near infinity solar engines are invented and perfected, a space elevator would be impossible and if they did somehow managed to build it, there would be catastrophic consequences if it falls apart

How long will it take to get anything up there?

What's the biggest picture though ?

>What does it do?
It goes UP, of course.

lmao

Earth geosync is over 22,000 miles high, so the Red Mars style (drop a cable from an asteroid) space elevator would be this tall.

It's only a few miles.

Alternatively, if they built a mountain that extended above the atmosphere, it would only have to be 100-200 miles tall. If you put it in the Sahara Desert, the shadow would probably cool it down some, maybe make rain fall, and then all the refugees could live there instead. We could make them a new religion where they pray to the mountain, to keep them from bombing it.

You'd still have to speed something up to 17,000 mph to get it into orbit from the top of the mountain though.

Theory is that you built it the same lenght it takes to the outer spheres a seccond time the same distance into outer space. The centripetal forces hold then the elevator.

This is actually a very well thought idea and will be a true revolution if accomplished.

Found it, I think. This is a Java simulation of space elevator. You can break it at certain levels and see what happens, theoretically.
alumnus.caltech.edu/~jimmc/spelsim/

>Buckytubes could do it.

what? make her workout gear??

Because from that picture he posted it is apparent that the illuminati already used up the next 100 years worth of carbon nanotube fibers.... sad.

on a semi-related note... I really miss Space Elevator threads

I remember those, max comfy and made one forget about the problematic subhumans (for a moment)

A space elevator would need all the materials to build, from low orbit to an atmosphere where helicopters could take over, sent into orbit, no?
You can't build from the ground up.
That's a lot a material to get up into space.

Buy rocket stocks.

If Halo taught me anything its that Space Elevators, while a neat idea, are also terrifying in their destructive potential if it collapses.

Depending on how high up from the ground they anchor it, shit could wrap around the world if it gets snipped at a high enough point and cause massive damage.

Which episode was that?

Lot of effort to send used panties to niponauts

a ladder to heaven

I don't think they'll build it in Japan.

Very dangerous. It could create a pendulum effect and cause planet orbit drift.

Can't build it on this island, too massive, but you could build on in the USA, in Africa, in China, in South America, but not in Japan.

If a space elevator breaks at the base, it is just launched into solar orbit. No big deal.

That's a big elevator.

There is nearly just as much gravity in near to earth space as on the ground you retard. Depending on your position along the cable, you will either fall down to earth or shoot further away

Equator

UUU

they'd want to build it somewhere along the equator. where the earth is wider.

Without self healing cables its pointless. The whole idea is a neat pipe dream that will never be achieved in anyone who is reading this's lifetime.

>launched into solar orbit

The shaking will probably cause it to tilt at its base moving the top of it. I imagine it would fall on its side towards Earth before it goes into the solar system.

>Be japs
>make huge investment in space elevator
>construction stops halfway when sexbots are perfected.

Take a ball at the end of a string. Swing it around you, the only limit to how fast it can go is how tight your grip is and how tough the string is. Same principal just applied on a bigger scale.

North of SA, Africa or Indonesia are the places to build it.

kek

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_elevator_safety#In_the_event_of_failure

Just anywhere with a low amount of faults, good weather and strong ground.

Carbon nano tubes are strong enough, we are working on production and I bet the Chinese material scientists have some sneaky tricks up their sleeves.

When did 00 happen again? I didn't pay much attention to it.

Make it a fucking sundial.

didnt HLI predict this together with solar energy?

Fuckers saw Yugioh the dark side of dimensions and now they want to be Kaiba.

Imagine the fucking stress on the elevator by inertia if the elevator isn't on the equator.

Finally, Africa can do something besides absorbing vast quantities of charity money.

Its just a cable. Second the top of the elevator is only going as fast as something is geostationary orbit.

Put it in Africa, then all the wars to get control of the elevator will kill lots of Africans.

Take a high school physics class.

>Spend shitton of time and money on a space elevator
>A few months later a flying space dildo runs into it by accident
>The whole thing goes kaboom
Ebin

Wouldn't gravity pull it back in?

No itsIf you cut the cable it just flies into space.

Dont be retarded

Wont happen. Too big of a target for terrorist attacks. Even then, they cant make that shit, no material exist that is strpng enough to tether it to earth

not if it's in geostationary orbit

No because it's already counteracting gravity because the top is in orbit

>Putting 13000 ton on space

Good luck with that

Neat, about time

this is wordpress clickbait to log your info

sage

No because the station is going very very fast. Its just an orbiting object orbiting at the same rate the earth spins held to earth with a really strong rope.

Carbon microtubes are strong enough, plus if we built a tether that can actually withstand that tension then no retarded sandnigger or plane flying into it would do anything.

>What is a modular launch.

Worth it.

informative, and witty
I like you

My dick is also 80 miles tall, maybe you can use it ?

>What are....13000 tons!

Please get out reddit.

>You can't build from the ground up.
what is scaffolding

Sounds like a plan.

It's not tension since the top of the elevator is in geostationary orbit; from the POV of the bottom of the elevator (and indeed any other Earth observer), the top of the elevator is stationary in all directions, so it's not pulling at all.

Rather it's that the elevator column would be unable to support itself. We do not have a material strong enough and light enough. A space elevator would require constant thrust at regular intervals along its height in order to support it.

bahahahaha.
Dummy.

I just saw Active Raid

it crashes into Tokyo

Equador cant comprehend a modular launch, why am I not surprised.

Its basically is how we built the space station.

>Theory is that you built it the same lenght it takes to the outer spheres a seccond time the same distance into outer space.

I want in on this project. My brother will be glad to hear this.

Just dont do any drugs.

Wouldn't that just collapse into earth?

why would it need support? Its being pulled by other masses in our solar system

The only thing holding back a space elevator is materials science. The tensile strength isn't quite there.

We could build one now for the Moon and even Mars using Dacron. It's the 22,000 miles that makes it a little challenging for Earth.

I suppose the risk could be reduced by putting charges on each segment of the elevator so that they'll self-destruct into safer little pieces if they detect that they are falling.

seeand

>unironically building a new tower of babel

God is going to be extra pissed off when he gets back and see's what we've done.

If anything the force would cause a stabilizing effect, but the tower wouldn't be near large enough to make a difference.

Good to see there still are companies planning beyond next quarter

Go study some physics and engineering you Mexican intellectual.

Niggers keep taking apart the electrical grid for the toxic oil inside the transformers, so Africa is out. Too many niggers, we'd have to clear them all out first and I'm all for that but it'd add a lot of time to the project.

aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2014/12/thieves-fry-kenya-power-grid-fast-food-2014122884728785480.html

Yes, cause we have so much precedence for 10 mile high structures.

Just stop, you're making us look worse than we already look.

We're a joke, our candidates are a joke, and now you go and

>imply

that Sven is wrong even though you have zero valid argument.

>Japanese Space Elevator
[intervention intensifies]

>tower of babel
>implying this doesn't open up the possibility for space crusades

Except the technology to build the tether does not exist.

It's just some old fart CEO not understanding that "impossible" doesn't mean "I'm just lazy".

1) it would be equatorial so if it collapses it's just shitty equatorial countries that get fucked.

2) it is held in place by centrifugal force, so if it was released it would probably by launched away rather than towards earth.

3) it has a counterweight at the end so it's like spinning a bucket of paint

japan shouldn't do this in japan. needs to be on equator in the middle of nowhere.

Anywhere along that line is good. Now just choose an optimal place.

>Unironically believing the bible
Fuck off christcuck.

Buckytubes can do it just anchoring them at both sides would be the biggest issue.

It's being pulled by gravity. You'd need a material and structure strong enough to support its own mass for all of the enormous height of a space elevator, otherwise it will simply crumple and pull the top of the elevator out of orbit (actually it would collapse long before getting anywhere near the end) and it will all come crashing down to earth like some kind of doomsday ribbon.

Is the general idea still;
1. Send a bunch of nano carbon material into space
2. Make a cable that reaches a spot on earth
3. Then use that cable as a 'foundation,' and to send stronger/additional materials?

That's a lot a material to build the first cable.

Buy rocket stocks

>tfw alive for space tourism
>tfw alive for immortality
>tfw alive for space elevator

what a good time to be alive

Didn't you see the thread? The tower of Babel was a symbol against multiculturalism.

But once we got one it would be significantly easier to build more

That would probably cause more issues.
Weight change, structural integrity change, flexibility change.

I agree. I want in.

archive? I don't see how

I don't care the space station, these are 13000 tons of the holy modular bullshit, how many Energias? and at 13000km?? Is not even LEO!

Rocket launching has not progressed a lot, and probably will not in the future, because we are stucked with chemical fuel.

Pretty sure there isn't market for such endeavor, all these resources time...and rockets! can be easily used in a more practical way.

I mean, the earth is not perfectly stable, an earthquake could shake the elevator's foundation and snap it, sending it down on us, where would you build this? I think it'd be safer to just keep working towards rockets and space stations.

>it'd be safer to just keep working towards rockets
>an earthquake could shake the elevator's foundation and snap it
Just get out.

Tbh efficient reusable rockets wouldn't be too bad. I would mind us focusing on lets say the moon rather than a space elevator. There's more to exploit and we can build ships farther from the Earth's influence. But a elevator would probably be even more useful if you go with that plan.

Wouldn't*

probably western africa (since the earth spins counter clockwise the rotation of the earth means if it fell it'd go mostly into the atlantic.

the reason we can't just keep using rockets and why this is better is that rockets are very resource intensive and this is just an elevator.

the difference is that a rocket is one use and expensive. also the power to weight ratio required means airlifting heavy metals for ship or staiton building is super expensive, where it is nearly costless with a space elevator.

Space elevators are retarded af. Reusable rockets are much much cheaper and scalable.

> tfw you realize the story of the tower of babel is a warning against globalism and multiculturalism

> - And they said, “Come, let us build ourselves a city, and a tower whose top is in the heavens; let us make a name for ourselves, lest we be scattered abroad over the face of the whole earth.”

> "one city" = one world government
> "a tower whose top is in the heavens" = this government tries to take the place of God and discards God
> "let us make a name for ourselves, lest we be scattered abroad over the face of the whole earth" = let's define ourselves as one entity so that there will be no other place for mankind than in our city/government

> "Therefore its name is called Babel, because there the Lord confused the language of all the earth; and from there the Lord scattered them abroad over the face of all the earth."

Not even carbon nanotubes are the answer.

>efficient rockets
There is no such thing. Rockets are expensive and dirty as fuck. If we want to pioneer space in a serious way, rockets are out.
Unless we discover a new form of energy, and if we did that, fuck space.

But... the world is falt

Thread theme

youtube.com/watch?v=DLmMf7IegRM

Project orion when?

>Reusable rockets are much much cheaper
Who gave you this information.

>Rockets are expensive
Nothing compared to a space elevator, which would require many launches anyway.

>dirty as fuck
Really depends on the fuel.

But... the world is *flat

Kek.
When you embrace an early death from cancer, and accept mutants as your own.

i do too user,

You have no vision. Go mine some sulfur, primate.

In japan? That's retarded.
It should be in the less than 5% chances of natural disaster countries, like the USA, Brazil, South Korea, Germany, Canada, Italy and others, and even then in the lowest risk regions of these countries, like the Brazilian central west.

The space elevator will need energy to elevate the payload...

Is just a cable risen through the sky, that is all.

the weight at the end should be some form of space station could have a launch pad and have magnetic landing gear on the space craft

FUKOU DA

>that shadow

fucking kek u realize shadows move as the earth rotates

no, you mong.

as long as you are lower than geostationary orbit you will fall down to earth, and since like 90% of the cable will be below, you will most likely fall down.

please educate yourself.

and when you're done burning up rockets and the atmosphere, you have a fucking elevator. It's going to be a big elevator, with a snack bar.

I can't hear you over the sound of liquid methane and liquid oxygen burning.

couldn't be any more material than the transatlantic cable. how far into space do we need to go?

Tie a ball to a string and spin it around.

>That shadow
Jesus Christ... To think we're trying to copy your education...

The internet.

Falcon heavy will get costs down to < $1000/kg to LEO. The BFR will be even cheaper if they ever get it built.

A fully reusable falcon style rocket should be able to get prices down to $100 per kilo or so. I forget the numbers now. But yeah. A space elevator would be expensive as fucking shit to build and maintain.

Imagine building a 22,000km highway, how much would that cost? Now imagine how much it would cost if it had to be made of carbon nanotubes stronger than anything we have today, be resistant to collisions for 25,000kph space junk and to be able o support it's own weight for the full 22,000km standing vertically. Holy fucking shit guys.

Burger land can't even maintain it's crumbling highway system. Imagine paying to keep this shit going.

Efficient "reusable" rockets, where pretty much no parts are wasted while using as little fuel as possible. Leaving out the cost of the rocket since it would be reused the cost to send shipments into orbit would go from multi millions of dollars to a few hundred thousand. And to be quite frank with you something like a space elevator wouldn't be feasible within out lifetimes. Not just because of materials cost or some other bullshit but because not much people would have faith in it. There will probably never be proper funding for it.

Requires carbon nanotubes.. turns out having a single atom out of place compromises the structural integrity of the whole thing

womp womp

This is impossible to build.

>Burger land can't even maintain it's crumbling highway system

the fuck is wrong with out roads

Round earthers are getting dumber by the day. You fucks will believe anything!

but for how long? The elevator is a bit pie in the sky right now, but it will happen. It just makes sense.

Didn't NASA just develop an EM Drive? that's got to be much cleaner, not to mention affordable, than building an elevator to space.

there are no forces that would keep it on the ground. your imagination is unfounded.

newscientist.com/article/2093356-carbon-nanotubes-too-weak-to-get-a-space-elevator-off-the-ground/

it's thrust to mass ratio is not very good.

It has almost no thrust.

IDK, whatever.

Idiot if it's at Geo it's already at orbital speed. As long as it lasts so long as to start moving it'll stay in orbit should the supports snap

that shirt is intriguing I want

its the tower of babel all over again...

That's for space travel where there is no gravity or resistance.
Didn't I tell you to beat it?

>>tfw alive for space tourism
>>tfw alive for immortality
>>tfw alive for space elevator
no, no, and no

you will probably die in ww3

Pretty sure weather is the biggest issue, since a hurricane could disrupt/destroy a space elevator with relative ease (typhoon, whatever). It's a good idea in theory to skip launches and build spacecraft in space, but if you can get past the radiation a lunar base is more practical.

Plus there's no way Japan could pull it off solo, meaning the whole thing would be an international cluster fuck.

>Figure out the radiation belt problem
>Establish a moon base capable of construction
>Create a launch/return trade lane between Earth and the Moon

You know what a solar flare would do to the upper half of a space elevator? No? Then shut the fuck up.

The cable is not at geostationary orbit.

Imagine my cock in your ass.

You use more than one rocket and take multiple trips faggot.

>IDK, whatever.

It's just a prototype, we surely can expand into this technology, well, if NASA gets enough funding anyways.

> implying

THEY'RE TRYING TO TAKE ALL THE 2D GRILLS OFF PLANET!

STOP THEM!

Why dont we just build a man made mountain that is high enough to just drive to space

It produces about as much "thrust" as a torch does when it emits light out one end. That is, incredibly little.

>find a large moon crater where it's dark most the time
>make sure there is other craters nearby for mining and water
>turn smaller craters into cheap vegetation habitats

it's probably all shitty ideas but i love the ideas anyways

moon>mars

>going into space via explosions you ride is fine
>but don't you dare build something that tuches space
The desert kike god sure is a faggot.

Is fucking stupid...you will need a fuckton of rockets to build that thing, and then, you will need a Uber nuclear reactor to elevate payload ONLY to a specifically point of the sky.

And you guys are dreaming for such garbage

At least this doggo seems pretty happy about it

Now imagine you've got thousands of tonnes of tether dangling off of it with gravity being exerted all the way down.

don't worry, one day we will be able to dine with mares on a space station

>Shooting off particles without mass
>generating significant force.

Man, can you imagine looking out of that elevator above the cloud line? The speed at which it would be cutting through the clouds...
Wait... How fast would it be moving through our outer atmosphere? I bet it gets hot.

Gundamnit!

It elevates things to space.

Presumably the "by 2050" part means they are going to invest in R&D.

it would only be going as fast as a car

Slower than any rocket. Another reason it's a shit idea.

Friendly reminder that the cost of this is insane, so is the maintenance, therefor an agreement between a couple of nations is required for it.

When such agreements are signed, a well-known neutral state is chosen to host the project, since it's pretty much immune to political instability and will not be "stolen" by a dictatorship (see: CERN)

This will most likely be built in Switzerland.

>as long as you are lower than geostationary orbit

>Idiot if it's at Geo

are you literally this retarded and illiterate or just a pitty troll?

Again, for you immens retard. Since 90% of the cable is BELOW geostationary orbit, and will therefore be pulling down, you need a counterweight ABOVE geostationary orbit that is heavy enough (or high enough) to compensate for the forces pulling down.

For any stability, the cable must be held with a certain degree of tension, tension can only be acchieved if the net force is upwards, if the cable therefore snaps, the upper part will fly outwards

PLEASE, please kill yourself if you aren't trolling.

We UNSC now

LOL. It would take it about 20 days to reach geosynchronous orbit.

The atmosphere would be super thing so very little friction would occur to generate heat.

>build elevator 1000x higher than wtc
>religion of peace culturally enriches it

Stupid idea

Stick to making me fruit, or I'll send the CIA down there again, savage.

The whole point of the drive is accelerate sloooooowly over long distances.

Another creative money raising scam.

>implying nasa actually goes into space and are not just faking it like all (public) spaceagencies

youtube.com/watch?v=r6IZUq6v92I

The tower would need to be in the equator.

Just saying man, my ramblings are not completely baseless.

its going to crash and burn with all the space junk flying in our orbit

What's the point? What if space debris starts flying towards it?

>This will most likely be built in Switzerland.

Actually will be built in Ecuador ;)

But I don't want this ridiculous technological turd in my beautiful country.

how can they build space elevators when there is still misoginy and racism? instead of building yet another phallus shaped man toy, the money should be spent for feminism and starving black children. fucking man pigs.

>the retarded german is back once again despite having his arse handed to him over and over
Go and suck some somalian cum out of your girlfriend's cunt, hans, you cuck.

That would be the best with current tech, the best we could ever do is close to super sonic, unless later designs suck out air in the tubes. It's kinda like Ion engines, slow as fuck but incredibly efficient in the long run.

Yeah, it will never be built

Forget about it. For space mining to exist so you can actually use it to import some minerals to Earth, you'd need advanced spaceships capable of reaching the target, mining, and going back to the elevator.

With such a spaceship technology we wouldn't even need an elevator, or we would be so advanced that every nation would have one

>fucking man pigs
Did you just assume my gender?

I'm on my phone and my posting ability is ass. Search youtube for space elevators in a nutshell. It will explain plenty

>The speed at which it would be cutting through the clouds...

I mean laterally, or horizontally, not from the Earth to space.
That tether will be swinging at a tremendous rate through our atmosphere. I bet it makes a ring.

Look Pedro
I know you come from a country where fine cuisine is a bag of doritos soaked in V8 juice and covered with bean paste and five pounds of condiments, so I don't expect a lot

but if we can't make ion drives, which actually move mass to create thrust, generate enough force to do anything in a timely manner

what the fuck do you think's going to happen about something that doesn't move mass at all

>probably destroy some ecosystems (that shadow)

>it won't happen because there are trillonas of gorillonas of space debris/rocks/masontellites all around the spinning ball moving at very high speed that will inevitably collide with muh space elevator
>earth is flat and there is no space under the dome.

either case, it won't happen

what will happen when terrorists blow the cable up?

We are going to build a mountain into space
And mexico is gonna pay for it

im sorry i have an oppinion you dont like. but you mus be so sure of yourself when you get angry by the mere mentioning of something being different than you think

They will be stopped by tolarance and diveristy

>I forget the numbers now. But yeah.

Sounds reliable.

It'd just get pulled up by the rest of the orbital tether. It'd be a danger in the vicinity, though.

Look it up yourself then. 98% of the cost of a rocket launch is in building the rocket. If you can reuse the rocket, that saves a lot of money.

sorry if i triggered you

>NASA
>develop an EM Drive
It was two fringe as fuck scientists, an Italian and a Neo-Pakistani, and we're still not sure if it actually produces thrust, the measurements still fall within margin of error.

Shit yeah son, fuck nukes we colony droppin now.

My theory was he was poo in loo, stopped posting about the same time flags and that meme popped up

A TRUE LOSS TO ALL TRUE Cred Forumsacks

The weight of the cable alone would do most of the work for you if it is long enough.

>Burger land can't even maintain it's crumbling highway system. Imagine paying to keep this shit going.

actually yes, I can very well imagine them paying (printing more) to fake a shit like this
bread and circus is necessary to keep the plebs distracted and Musk is receiving subsidies exactly for this reason.

Also, _IF_ it actually does produce thrust, saying that it produces little of it is one of the fucking dumbest non-arguments ever.

Musk doesn't receive subsidies though

Mathsfags;
So the surface of the earth is moving at 1,040 mph.
If we attach a tether to it that's 8 miles long, how fast will that tether be moving at 7 miles high?
I bet it's fast, and in turn, hot.
But I'm all in for a space elevator.
FORWARD!

4U

Mathfag here
what is relative velocity?

Finally took japan long enough.

>what is relative velocity?
IDK, what?

>What's the point
Reaching fractions of C, saving a fuckton of weight, having practically limitless deltaV.

>What if space debris starts flying towards it?
Not a fucking argument. Reaction thrusters are a thing.

For you.

>Reaction thrusters are a thing.
The cable is in tension. How the fuck is a 22,000km cable in tension many meter wide meant to move out of the way of space debris travelling at 25,000km/h using some shitty thrusters?

latimes.com/business/la-fi-hy-musk-subsidies-20150531-story.html

$4.9 billion in gubermint support

SpaceX is absolutely receiving subsidies, a heckton of subsidies

Basically, you're moving at 1040mph relative to the center of the earth right now, if you're on the equator. But how fast are you moving relative to the ground? Not moving at all.

Draw a straight line across a record and put it on the turntable. A point on that line's velocity relative to the center of the turntable is greater towards the edge, but it remains at zero relative velocity to the parts of the record around it.

We have made ion thrusters before, and they're also slow, but we can make it better, I think deep space used ion thrusters in fact.
Latest experiments show that thrust is indeed possible with the EM drive, but only in very small amounts, like others have mentioned.
How is that a non-argument? The thrust is there, it's measurable, it's just not enough to be taken seriously.

yet...

thank you, record, etc
shekel give

>I bet it's fast, and in turn, hot.

Sounds like energy we can harness

>Thinking that you can move that heavy ass weight at the end of the elevator.

We're talking about an hypothetical vehicle equipped with a mEMe drive, not a space elevator. For fuck's sake Gennaro.

Wouldn't the atmosphere be too thin to generate significant heat through friction of movement.

I don't understand,
but how fast would it pass by a stationary object at 7 miles.

We Knight Sabers now.

good taste, too bad gal force was garbage

>government support = subsidies
every company in america gets "government support". Tesla and spacex are big companies.

All they get are tax breaks and government contracts, which they must compete for. Hardly unusual.

I dig. At the core you are moving slowly. So how fast would you pass a stationary object(not in movement with Earth) at 7 miles out from the surface?

Same.
Was a nice place to ponder the never ending questions about the future of humanity, AI, space exploration, hard problems or the Animatrix without shitting up the board.
Where am i to go with this, /lit/? Sod off.

It'd probably just be a big cable that something runs up and down.

good idea

EM drives don't produce enough thrust to escape earth's gravity.

why dont you leave the difficult thinking to others m8

the novel "red mars" for a depiction of a space elevator falling

everything gets fucked after they open up colonisation to every corporation under the sun, people start fighting, sabotage etc.

fucking excellent book

Bitch, I'll fucking cut you.
You tell me how fast that elevator would move at 7 miles out.
Do it, little smart bitch.
I'll fucking gut you.
Where do you live?

what the fuck are you talking about

the entire point of geostationary orbit is that it follows the rotation of the earth
the fucking clouds also follow this rotation

it wouldn't even "cut through" the clouds they would simply move around it

That is literally the easiest thing to build.

Nice rebuttal cocksucker.

so close

Good new, reusable rockets.
futurism.com/bigger-is-better-jeff-bezos-just-unveiled-his-new-rocket-and-its-mammoth/

>2050
means they're never going to do it.

I'll do this thing, but I'm not going to do it until 34 years from now.

>21 posts by this ID

Just kill yourself, you make us look bad.

The farther you get away from Earth, the less influence it has.
You think the upper atmosphere follows the rotation of the Earth?
God damn, fuck Canada.

he ascended and then departed.

such is the nature of elevators.

>You tell me how fast that elevator would move at 7 miles out.
Relative to what? The surface of the earth? 0mph.

Are you fucking stupid?

It's stationary you daft fuck, its a goddamn elevator. Do you not think the air moves relative to the surface as well or do you have 1040mph winds where you live?

Exploding failures more like
In BU case failures that didn't even leave drawing board yet

/ see , remember that the ground is also rotating at the same speed, and the air is too, more or less. The small local variation between the rotation of the earth's ground and earth's atmosphere is called wind.

You can find tangential velocity (the fancy physics term for velocity relative to a center in circular motion) with the formula v=ωr, where v is speed in m/s, ω is rotational speed in radians per second (think like rpm: one rotation per second is 2*pi radians per sec), and r is the radius.

plugging in earth's radius+7mi(6382658m) and 1 revolution per day (7.27221e-5 rad/s) gives us a speed relative to the center of 464m/s or about 1040 mph. Again recall that the earth's atmosphere is also spinning about as fast, so there's just wind at work, no jupiter storm force winds.
m8, what I'm saying is that we've made ion drives, and ion drives work, and they're fucking amazing for how much change in trajectory you can get out of them, for so little propellant mass

problem is they have fuckall acceleration. And the fact is to make them have any acceleration at all would take a stupidly high amount of electricity, and that's with mass to throw for newton's third law to help you along. you'd need even more electricity for a working (IF it works) emdrive to do anything remotely quickly. it MIGHT work, but remember it's so weak that the most promising experiment to see if it works at all is to just put it in orbit where there isn't any confounding factors. tl;dr chemical rockets and nuclear rockets are going to be, for a very long time if ever, the only game in town for quick changes in velocity

STFU, child.
Go post your hate frog in a BBC thread.
One post no nothing cunt.

Do you think the particulate at 7 miles out gives a fuck what Earth is doing?
Science more.

And what happens if a plane crashes 911 style into the elevator?

FUUUGGG the best episode of EEnE

How would this work it's like building a mile tall building of individual lego bricks, you'd need to make it ridiculously wide for stability. It's unfeasible.