Redpill me on fracking, Cred Forums

Redpill me on fracking, Cred Forums.

Is it really as bad for the environment as people say?

It depends where you do it

Not usually but yes it can cause earthquakes depending on the area.

Fracking isn't bad, unless you care about pollution in California and North Dakota.

You Americans are really fucked .
The EU is shit in so many ways but damn I'm glad that they are against such bullshit.

Only subhumans doesn't have respect for mother nature

Nah not really. The majority of the pollution from it comes from mishandling of waste products. The USA is similar to the Middle East of Natural Gas so developing this resource only makes us more powerful. Natural gas also produces cleaner energy than coal.

If we want to reduce our dependency on foreign oil/shift towards clean energy fracking is the way we should head. Sure its still a non-renewable but its a much better alternative

Liberals just hate it right now because they want a 100% clean energy solution right now but they fail to realize the challenges of revamping our energy infrastructure/developing these new technologies.

Yeah it does produce earthquakes, but they're extremely minor. The max recorded as far as I remember was just a 4, which is still 1000 times less than a 7. The majority of the earthquakes are still just in the 1-2 range which are 1000000x and 100000x smaller than magnitude 7 quakes respectively. This is a necessary sacrifice, besides, we already have the engineering capabilities to earthquake-proof structures to these.

Greenie weenies can go pound sand until they pull their heads out of their asses about nuclear

Fracking is what billions of years of evolution has produced. Its natural all the stuff here on earth is

That too. When Obama shut down the Yucca Mountain facility because
>muh nuclear energy as in nuclear bomb? checkmate republicans
I was pissed.

Proves once again germans are either niggers or nigger loving tree huggers. Off yourself hippie

From what I understand, fracking absolutely ~~~~can~~~~ be done safely.

The issues with fracking so far seem to be associated with NOT doing it right, in almost all cases specifically with regards to disposal of what comes back up (that isn't gas products).

In many cases that shit is discarded with little thought for what it will do to the surrounding environment, and there's a LOT of that stuff that comes back up.

I don't see it as unreasonable to say "stop that shit until you can show that you can not ruin the surrounding environment (and specifically the water table) irreparably", so as far as I'm concerned the issues are with implementation and oversight, not with underlying theory.

>shutting down Yucca Mountain
>leaving all the nuclear plants up shit creek because then they had to hurry and find a new waste storage solution
>after already implementing new tax and regulatory schemes against the nuclear power industry to pay for it
>and not even rolling the taxes and fees back after shutting it down

God damn I hate our retarded government sometimes. Shutting Yucca Mountain down was just as bad as stopping construction on the Superconducting Super Collider when it was already 1/2 finished in 1993... It would've been more powerful than the Large Hadron Collider and made the US the Mecca of high energy and particle physics. Instead, by canceling the project they set particle physics research back by a decade and paved the way for CERN to be the Mecca of modern day physics....

Fracking isn't inherently dangerous. The issue is it's usually not done correctly.

Yes and if you love the opposite go to China and enjoy the wonderful air.

Coming from an area where fracking is VERY prevalent I can say that it's terrible and should be abolished immediately. Our tap water cannot be drank

TRIPS VS TRIPS THE FINAL BATTLE

>implying you can drink the tap water anywhere else in America without getting cancer

its not that bad

The fracturing is 2+ km below the water table, the only possible way to contaminate ground water with benzene is if the concrete well casing cracks near the surface (strict pressure testing legislation can really mitigate this see:BC fracking)

the earth quakes are too small to feel at the surface 99% of the time, but they can occasionally still produce magnitude ~4 which still aren't really a problem at all

also almost all earthquakes are caused by wastewater injection, they could just stop doing that and treat the water at the surface (slightly more expensive)

>TLDR: liberals are lying again, stop the presses

most people here have carbon filters in their refrigerators to filter our drinking water and ice

If you have these then an exploded fracking well leaking benzene shouldn't be an issue either.

We've been fracturing every gas well we've drilled for over 70 years. It only (((coincidentally))) became a problem in the last few, when NG was so abundant and prices were dropping so low that NG became the cheapest plants to produce electricity... even cheaper than coal.

We have hundreds of years of NG available domestically. No import needed. We are completely self-sufficient... and it bothers some (((people.)))

It's a hit-job by the same fucks that have been manipulating energy prices since we invented electricity.

>Doesnt know that environmentalism is fascism.

Wasted digits.

>even cheaper than coal.

Even cheaper than nuclear here in TX. I have a friend who's a manager at a coal-fired plant and he told me that when natural gas prices tanked their company's combined cycle natgas units were producing electricity cheaper than their nuclear plant (Comanche Peak). He also said that their wind farms consistently only produce ~15%-20% of their rated capacity and would be completely uneconomical to operate without government subsidies.

TX energy fag here.
Wind energy still receives a federal subsidy such that they can sell it for negative cost and still earn money.
You read that right- $23 per megawatt Uncle Sam chips in. So they can literally pay someone else money to use their power and still profit. Shit does odd things to the market.

Gas is cheap cause Chesapeake and others have successfully waged their "war on coal" via millions of dollars laundered in "green" "charities".

Hydraulic fracturing is decades old shit. Horizontal drilling is the new hotness so to speak, which lets us "frack" many miles of rock instead of a straight drop. If you have even a basic understanding of geology you can see the tremendous benefit of this.

Earthquakes caused by fracking are very minor and there is a lot of evidence that they are in essence a good thing, if you understand quakes. Pressure and tension builds up until a fault slips, sometimes catastrophically. Wastewater injection "lubricates" these areas, essentially, allowing many very very very small quakes, instead of tension continuing to build for an eventual huge release.

I will add that there is a fair argument that these small quakes may never happen without our activity, but still they are for all intents and purposes, harmless. I live in dfw and a few years ago I felt my very first earthquake ever. Was weird and a bit scary just because it was new to me, but was no big deal. I can't imagine a real one like in CA.

Energy production and consumption is "bad for the environment". To what degree and in what way is debatable. But to say we need to give up hydrocarbon energy is like a vegan telling you to stop eating animal products. It's retarded and just not how we live. Fire was the first bit of "advanced technology" man ever mastered and has granted us better lives ever since.

We make electricity from fire. Nukes, wind hydro etc is only possible because we burned things first to make them possible. Nice to have, use them where it makes sense, but will never ever replace hydrocarbons.

ok to all the fracking shills

i haven't heard one thing addressed: that the chemicals they use in fracking can make their way into the water table and anyone who gets their water from a well is basically fucked

How is a benzene ring relevent to fracking?

I'd rather be redpilled about Benzene.
>Did the jews do it?
>Is it actually a tiny snake eating itself?
>Why are the electrons so goofy?

Fracking is safe, and you should support it!

>t. Kim, an Energy Voter

Isn't benzene a petroleum distillate?

Really dude

Learn to read.

Drilling and fracking are done so far below the water table your claim is laughable. The only way anything gets into your shit is if there is a terrible accident or something. And if it wasn't fracking then, something else bad could happen.

Anyone who drinks well water without properly treating it anyway is fucked and retarded.

CTR hates fracking too? Did I just get baited?

>Earthquakes caused by fracking are very minor and there is a lot of evidence that they are in essence a good thing
they don't drill enough to actually damage what causes plates to rub, secondly. Drilling holes in the crust is gonna bite ass later on, if a magma chamber moves near these holes kiss your ass goodbye. All those chemicals dumped in the ground are gonna cause some violent reactions

>Greenie weenies can go pound sand until they pull their heads out of their asses about nuclear

this, 100%

most of them have absolutely zero knowledge of how nuclear works, and how safe and clean it is. coal power releases 100x more radioactive material than a standard nuclear plant

>>Did the jews do it?
No
>>Is it actually a tiny snake eating itself?
No
>>Why are the electrons so goofy?
They are only goofy if you visualize them with the 90% probability shells. If you use 95% or 99% you get HEALTHY AT EVERY SIZE orbitals which show easily how a electron doesn't know one carbon nucleus from another.

Most of the beef with fracking is in relation to the wastewater disposal (injection) wells that pump that shit back down into the earth to dispose of it, not the actual extraction of the natural gas. There are some idiots who claim that the hydraulic fracking fluid used to break up the shale formations is toxic but like you said, that goes on so far below the surface and beneath the water table that there's no way it'll have any affect on groundwater.

what sucks about nuclear in the US is all our plants are basically 1971 technology. I wish we could get some actual political traction to build new shit.

Yes, we desperately need to start building new nuclear plants. Many of our coal plants were also built in the 70's and 80's and many are beyond their initial projected operational lifespan as well. They just keep having band-aid fixes applied to them to keep them running and within regulations because it's almost impossible to build a new one with today's rules and regulations. I hope I live to see the day when the backbone of our energy production is carried out by nuclear plants and supplemented by high efficiency solar panels on every house.

In theory, it should be completely fine and have negligible impact on the environment. In practice, companies cut corners and take unnecessary risks to maximize profits leading to incidents.

Holy shit retard spotted. You are wrong, Fracking has already caused 4.0+ Earthquakes across the country and there are thousands of lawsuits against Frackers who showed up, polluted the aquifer, and then leave state. You fucks are the reason people like us have to go out and take care of Fracker equipment. Fuck you slave.

The earthquakes and aquifer pollution are a result of the wastewater disposal wells dumbass.

>ITT: fags who dont know anything spout opinions based on nothing

Fracking is just replacing oil under the ground with water and other waste liquids from the drilling process (aka, "mud"). If earthquakes could be caused by that, then we would be constantly having earthquakes from the oil itself, and removing it would actually make the ground MORE stable, not less.

What the fuck are you talking about? Green is the side PUSHING for Nuclear... Meanwhile the Oil Slaves (R/D) have kept America in the dark ages for over a century. It's time to do your part, people. Find and destroy the nearest uninhabited Oil Slave machinery, be it a Pump or a Fracking well. Fuck their jew slave shit up

Neat!
:^)

That's literally my point idiot. All types of Oil Extraction lead to death, but especially those in our backyard. Do your part America! Destroy these invader jew slime at the source of their power: OIL

TL;DR, hippies are dumb and ignorant of reality.
I work in electricity mostly and people cry about smart meters. It's almost funny except then I remember they actually are serious. "Nearby power lines gave me cancer" type shit.

Fun facts, nuclear energy is the
>cleanest
>most reliable
>cheapest
Form of energy production known to man.
>I thought it wasn't cheap
That's because regulation forces nukes to pay up front the decommissioning costs after estimated decades of service.
>that sounds dumb
It is. Decades ago energy companies were afraid nukes would put them out of business so they whipped retards into a "green" frenzy to be anti nuke and get dumb shit passed.

Look at Germany right now. When (((global warming))) got popular Germany had a head start on the world as far as "clean energy" cause of all their nukes.
One tidal wave and earthquake later greens want nothing to do with nukes. So Germany shutters their nuke plants and opens dozens of new, I shit you not, coal plants. And not "clean coal", some are fucking brown coal the dirtiest shit possible, just to meet energy demands.

They think solar is a solution. In Germany. Solar.
We can't turn a profit on a fucking solar farm in the southwest desert.

Maybe the Green Party pushes for nuclear (I don't know, I've never looked up their actual party platform) but most far-left environmentalist types are completely opposed to nuclear.

are you nuts? The greens are all anti-vax vegan morons who think that nuclear plants are the devil.

But I like making money trading energy companies and crude oil futures. Fuck trying to trade agricultural futures.

it can be bad for the environment without enough oversight, but, with proper supervision it is safe

Be realistic guys. Burgers are full power jews and dont give a fuck, they would hammer their dicks all day long if some jew master were to tell them oil would start to leak from it.

You're a fucking retard.

I drink benzene every day and it never dod me a lickr or harrtm IKD yntdonntow waht thaese peple and rtalkign about

its fine if done correctly.

fracking is jewish owned and operated.

its not done correctly.

>hammer dick all day long
>dick becomes big and black due to bruising

ayyy, we gots the BBC now, where all da white wimmenz at?

that isnt how you draw a fucking benzene ring nigger
delocalised ring of electrons not 3 double bonds retard

Someone needs to make a version of this:

>blowout soon, fellow fracker!
>oh really? When?
NOW
>face is a benzene ring

You can draw it this way if you are not an autist and know what you are doing.

>Teach chemistry on Cred Forums
>Dont be retarded

Pick one darling