Since when were trades so looked down upon? it's a solid career

Since when were trades so looked down upon? it's a solid career.
>1960s,
>be tradesman
>honest fucking work for honest fucking pay
>maybe not so honest pay if you knew how to charge
>you had your place in the community

Nowadays, I think because Tony Blair said everyone should get into university, trades still carry a stigma.

Pic related is a man fucking doing his thing

Other urls found in this thread:

mises.org/blog/student-loan-scam-killed-itt-tech
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Well, to some extent, I think the market value went down - either demand was lower because of automation, or illegals provided a supply glut.

But it is a shame, and most college degrees are worthless.

Electrician here.
The jews convinced everyone to get a degree in busy work

Unless it's a STEM

When it became socially acceptableto suck dick at your job and bitch about it all day

STEM is the least hopeless out of most degrees in terms of employment (at least compared to humanities), but it's still fucked.

Also, if you look at the chemistry grad job market, it's more or less the gender studies of STEM

this. Everyone started going to college because it was seen as better because it would allow you to get a nice plushy job inside and where you didn't have to work everyday, were as tradesmen used their hands and "worked" for a living. Also sold the higher pay that comes with college degrees.

But the pendulum is swinging back. I hear machinist are hiring people with zero experience at $15 an hour because the demand is so high and almost no one young has gone into the field. It's only going to get worse as the last generation start retiring and there's an even bigger demand.

>the demand is so high and almost no one young has gone into the field

This is part of the plan. They want to replace tradesmen with mexicans.
It used to be that mexicans only did dryway/painting...shit like that, but they are getting them to do real trades like plumbing and hvac now.
I really hate the.."yeah...b-but they work!"
yeah, they work fast, and do a shit job, and there's 3 of them instead of 1 because you get them for dirt cheap.
Quality in construction is going down...so far they are keeping the spics out of the electrical trades but they are pushing it...and that is scary

They aren't. Some of them are over saturated right now and have been for some time. A lot of people on Cred Forums romanticise them though and I'm certain most have no experience of them for any extended period. It can get very boring after a while and it will wear you out.

what isn't over saturated

>tfw always wanted to be a stone mason, but grew up in Aus.

Finally moved to UK and there's no way I'd be able to live here doing a mason apprenticeship.... Sucks.

It's a mixture really, there are some that there are real demand for. If you are reputable and have decent experience you can earn good money, at the same time economic cycles greatly affect them (eg:construction). But I think the most telling thing is the point about wear and tear. Often these jobs are exposed to the elements and require constant physical exertion.

Because generally real men work in trades while those who laugh at him are scrawny university-educated ragtags who actually wouldnt say anything bad about him to his face

Here is my life.

> Born in 1985
> Standard state education
> Finish with GCSE's all C
> "user don't get an apprenticeship they're for idiots like bricklayers. You'd be scum"
> Go to college, get average A-Levels
> Go to University
> "Wow user so smart, you'll be a success"
> Drop out of University after 2 years because I'm not smart enough
> Flounder for 5 years
> No shame, I'll do an apprenticeship in the Automotive industry
> 4 years later, I make £45K+
> Old University friends make less than me in harder jobs.

My one regret is going to University, alas that's hindsight for you. I hate Blair and the Labour government for stigmatising my natural abilities in favour of academic roles.

Hope you're in the Florida area user. I'm 5 weeks in to an 8-month machinist certification; my instructor with 30+ years experience says that four or five companies come looking for entry-level work without even finishing the program.

Trying to get a job that will get me practical experience increase my chances of looking good for a mech eng career pathway.

Welcome to how trade in europe works these days. First its gonna be mexicans and then the mexicans get to expensive and it just keeps getting worse.

I'm 32, have a job welding cobalt sources for industrial irradiation and cancer therapy. Got myself a general BSc and pull in 80k CAD a year with benefits. Only work 4 days a week, hang out with a great crew all day, and the boss leaves us alone.

I've got 2 kids, and I'll tell them to get an apprenticeship in a trade they like. Being useful to your community is what matters, not getting some random degree and then hoping your can land a job that can support you.

pic unrelated, but as a leaf I'm entitled to a certain degree of shitposting

Digger operator here

Recently got into the industry (about 4 months ago) and I'm loving it. Wish I could go out on my own and do my own jobs but I'm still quite noobie at driving machinery properly.

do you work for sytner, what do you do exactly

I got a buddy that did that for two years, then got into tree removal, and makes great money.

In Canada we have to import skilled labourers, everything from welders and to sheet metal workers. People who have their own welding rig can charge $150 CAD an hour, it's very lucrative.

I would love to do all sorts of alternative shit on an excavator. Like demolition, tree mulching, all sorts of shit.

I hope the pendulum will swing away from people wanting a ton of crappy goods to wanting a few quality items. That means repair jobs will return to the market, and good paying manufacturing jobs. Hipsters might save us all.

I never got the 'wear you out' meme. Im in my 30's and have worked in construction 13 years. My friends are getting diabeetus related shit from sitting down all day I think thats worse than callasus and sun tan.

I am part of a company and run excavators a chippers and mulchers a lot. May actually take it over one day cause reasons. I can run most stuff though...

I work at JLR. My role would be best described as a Tester. I am not an "Engineer" as a German might define it. I physically fit components in test environments and run software to carry out experiments. It's all on product development, so stuff that you cannot buy yet but the company is developing for future models.

made me laugh, leaf boy, ty

Also that mulcher in your pic a total joke I've been on a job with them.

sounds good lad, think you will stick with jag for the rest of your career

It's hard in the trades if you're not Union, but if you are union you have to be a democrat

I'm 4 months into a 10 month certification program for HVACR, I'm doing really good in class but I feel like I should be doing more. The career outlook for it here in Alaska looks damn good

Probably yes. JLR is very good to me. The work is interesting and the pay/benefits are great. I couldn't enthuse enough about the company. Promise this isn't a paid advert.

Who knows what the future holds but I hope to stay here for as long as I can. Perhaps in the future I'd like to work for Tesla and move to America.

Time will tell.

I always wanted to make beautiful furniture but the learning curve for ornate stuff is pretty huge. Woodworking seems like a based hobby.

my drunk uncle worked at jag in Coventry back in the 80's, let's just say his work represented their build quality

I have a particular hatred of the way Colleges push people towards University without offering them any serious alternatives. Maybe I'm cynical but it reeks of them padding their stats at the expense of the people they send down unfulfilling and harmful paths in the process.

There was never any mention of the more advanced apprenticeships available, or of the varied fields they can cover.

There were a few people who voiced their reluctance to go to University but all but one were eventually pressured in to applying.

I do shitty construction work at the moment, and yes, it is quite hard and strenuous. But it has its advantages. An 11 hour day doing construction flies by, while an 8 hour shift at my office job would feel like fucking forever. I actually see the product of my work which gives me a feeling of satisfaction, that didn't exist at the office. Finish one thing and move onto the next. Finally, when I get home I shower, shit, eat, shitpost for a little then sleep like a baby. My office job left me feeling restless and I got shit for sleep. They both have their pluses and minuses. To be honest, at my age, I would take whichever one pays more.

>1960s
>everything is going great
>become president
>get shot
>everything goes to shit

Does the union check your voting records or something?

Pretty much. Late 60s. Niggers revolt in Detroit. Massive white flight afterwards. Da Black man free now. Their cancer spread around the country, and boom, you have the USA of today

I think those days are long gone. Serious efforts are made to adopt the absolute best in terms of quality and processes.

I see a few old guard floating about but they've been saturated by people of all stripes who genuinely give it their all.

I got this buddy who started pouring concrete year ago. Now he's a multimillionaire concrete company owner.

Anyone here weld? I can do an 8 month course at a community college near me for 4 grand, I wouldn't even have to take out a loan.

Trades are a great career (for dumb fucks who are too stupid for university that is)

he came out with it with an ok pension considering he hardly turned up for work, what degree did you drop out of

Nah, even a bachelors in a STEM (besides medicine and engineering) is shit.

Been making minimum wage with a duel degree in biology and chemistry for 4 years. Friend who dropped out and works in a supermarket makes more than me.

Oh look, its another overpayed working class brit!!

Better stop those immigrants coming in so you can keep making 200.000 pounds a year laying bricks laddy!!

You fail to realize just how stupid most the people who get through tertiary education are,

why are you so bitter stavros

Well, here in the US they had and still have this push to get people to go to college. I think intentions were good, but that doesn't matter anymore. They pushed too many people into college who didn't need to be there and made them take out loans. Not only did that kill the value of a college degree by over saturating the market, but it also fucked people who ARE smart enough to go to college by inflating the college loan market and making tuition go to the roof. It also made less people go into trades.

Any non-STEM degree from a public university is literally worthless and because of the recent push to get people to do STEM, degrees from public universities even in those areas are being quickly devalued. I managed to get myself to a private university on full scholarship, but it's a only a matter of time before degrees here become worthless too (I'd give it twenty years tops).

That's why I push for people to take a trade up (much to the chagrin of my high school who wanted me to shill these idiots with 1200s on the SAT into college). There's no shame in it, and things like electricians and welders can make a very good salary.

But nobody listens...

I went to trade school and have multiple years of labouring experience, still can't find an apprenticeship. Trades are all about neopitsm, even more so than white collar careers, and the whole "trades shortage" is just a meme designed to undercut the wages of the last few unionized careers still left.

what trade, and what part of the country?

Electrician/Instrumentation, graduated into the oil crash so unemployment is to be expected, I know lots of unemployed journeyman and engineers right now

I live in Alberta I forgot to tmention

would you move to get a full time job user? I live in Ottawa and I'm embarassed at how many immigrants my company hires into 50k+ a year jobs with benefits

They're making a comeback. Artisanal shit and hand-made goods are really big among millenials. Big enough that there's a whole section of Amazon.com dedicated to handcrafted goods.

Everyone loves seeing a craftsman doing his thing but nobody wants to try it themselves.

You can make 40 to 50k starting on Louisiana atm.

T. Some one who works in a chemical plant

>t. Clementine J. Hipster

Since the time your government began funding, and profiting from, higher education

If hipsters have money, why the fuck not? If they think they're helping "the little guy" just to feel better about themselves then why not? A market's a market.

Would they even look at a random Canadian with a trade school diploma?

Maybe, been applying to jobs in BC and Saskatchewan, I can't move right now though because I'm taking a bunch of classes to try and find a new career. What trade do you work in?

I like weal crafted shit but artisannal stuff it just wank

There was a time when nearly 60% of New Yorkers worked in manufacturing and London was around 40% or so. And this wasn't in the victorian era, this was in the 1950's! Now we're told to be ashamed of making stuff and we should let the Chinese do it.

In the USA, trade wages went to shit.
I've been a framer, and wages are so low due to illegals that I'll make about what I did to start, but now I have to pay my own liability insurance, taxes, and get no benefits. The illegals have to do none of those things.
So at 40 hours, I actually make less than when I started.

Going back to school next semester for a welding certificate.

Straight bullshit. Sure the unions may tell you who to vote for, but they won't ever know who you voted for unless you volunteered that information. I'm a member of the UA, and though the UA has endorsed Hillcunt, I'm definitely not voting for her.

Things went downhill after the Great War

That is the difference between skilled trades and low/no skill trades. No way would a mexican that just crossed the rio be able to walk into a refinery and start fitting and welding pipe. They sure can learn how to slam lumber together though.

Good on you for the welding.

>wanted to be a biologist
>went to mech eng. for the money and job flexibility
>make 55k a year
Now I feel less sad when thinking of those 'what could have been' moments of being a biologist

Trades require manual labor and millennials look down on manual labor because they're lazy, useless entitled fucks

nice meme

>Since when were trades so looked down upon?

Since leftists got into power. Liberals help push the college meme, at least in America, and in turn American colleges push the liberal agenda. Every last liberal I've ever spoken to has a complete lack of self-esteem, relying on their validation of themselves to come from external sources, which is why they're always fucking screaming about how virtuous they are in a desperate bid to gain approval from their peers. They always, ALWAYS scream about how people who vote for X candidate or believe Y policy or what have you are stupid, retarded, ignorant, or otherwise mentally lacking, and they do so with the smuggest fucking grins each and every time.

Trades don't require college education to get into. Therefore those in the trades aren't indoctrinated into the liberal mindset, but even if they were there would still remain a divide as in the liberal mind "more educated" means "more intelligent." As if one is completely unable to learn things outside of a formal institution of learning, or one's ability to comprehend and retain information is decided by how many years they've spent in one of those institutions. Again, it comes back to a complete lack of self-esteem. "I did something that takes longer so clearly I'm better." "This costs more to get into and pays more starting so clearly I'm better." In many cases those that enter trades come out with more money than those who get degrees due to longer time spent in the workforce and less overall debt from their educational or training period, so even claiming superiority due to overall personal wealth is wrong.

Absolutely. Honestly if you came down and for for twic and safety card in pretty sure you'd get hired quickly for instrumentation or electricians work. Industrial process technology degree is pretty saturated down here though.

Look into companies like sasol, citgo, PPG they're all around here.

Nope. I can never find a decent plumber, bricky, chippy or spark when I need one. It's a fucking disgrace. There are times when I wished I'd fucked school off and and done something like carpentry or trained as an electrician. I know one thing I'd be rolling in it now that's for sure.

Also companies tend to pay for your twic and safety caeds. It's just a bonus to already have them.

Safety card is like 50USD and maybe 8 hours of class in one day. Bunch of no shit safety videos from the 80s

Emergency Services in the US (West Coast) is an interesting mix of white collar/trade depending on what level you go to.

The barriers to entry were elevated for many years, college degrees, prior military, EMT or even Paramedic a minimum to become a career firefighter.

While having those qualifications still helps and in today's market means you are pretty much guaranteed "some" job after a year or two of testing, they are starting to take folks with no experience again as they need people bad.

Dallas just put out that they have never seen before record firefighter retirements, Spokane needs to hire 50+, many California departments are in the same boat. Its a generation leaving, they held on due to the economy, but not that it has improved their pensions and outlook on retirement has improved, plus many are pushing 60 and cannot do the job anymore.

I have a college degree, my Paramedic license, various trade certs and have been in the biz for 10+ years. The department I am in has 20-30 years of growth and career advancement available.

I get paid $75,000 Salaried, but many years make $90-110,000 on overtime and pay out bonuses.

Perks and benefits are 10x better than anything the private sector has to offer even in the white collar arena.

It sounds like a fucking killer job, work hard, play hard, work 1/3rd the month only (8-11 days), hang out with the boys, do fun shit.

You'd be surprised though at how difficult departments are finding it to fill the ranks.
>Drugs
>Obesity
>Lack of physical fitness
>Can't pass background checks (no minor crimes allowed)
>Poor attitude

The trades are here, I have a feeling as they blend into a hybrid academic/on-job-training model that is even more specialized, mixed kids receiving bad information early on, as well as just kids being fat and lazy, they are going to be even more lucrative and stable in the future as the workforce is going to be small as fuck.

Cabinet/furniture maker here. Almost 40 years old.

I make a decent living, the work is strenuous but it isnt back breaking. Ive been in great shape my entire adult life because of my trade. It involves artistry, creativity, math (basic shit like geometry), problem solving. This keeps the field clear of idiots except in huge shops where its more assembly line. But ive been self employed for 20+ years so fuck those faggots.

Main thing is: after decades of doing this shit, i still enjoy it.

- Mixed "with" kids- as in kids are being told to go to go into STEM or cough cough arts and to avoid trades.

Sorry that paragraph was poorly written.

exmillwright apprentice here

good luck finding an apprenticeship at a place that doesn't suck complete ass

most factories are filthy disgusting shitholes where you make 20 bucks an hour fixing some millionare's machine

my resume:
>indian run gear shop.. $10/h
>nightshift at a recycling (garbage) plant.. 18/hour
>giant steel mill, dirty as fuck and full of carcinogens.. $20
I have one life and I'm not wasting it slaving away in a factory for some millionaire's pocket change. Im going into the medical field.

>work for your self
I want free time too ya know

DUDE
keep it a secret!
stop telling everyone

It's hilariously bad.
>Blacksmith, simple as fuck stuff
>Only make about 40-50k a year but its fun as fuck
>Go to the bar on weekends
>Inevitably someone asks what I do
>"Oh I'm a blacksmith by trade, it pays the bills I guess"
>Given a strange room
>"Right, but whats your *job* user"

People view me as some sort of strange hobo, it's so fucking odd. Doubly so when I'm being spoken down to about my trade by people who still live with their parents.

>Cabinet/furniture maker here.

Is the market expanding or contracting?

I never hear about anyone buying custom furniture. Is it a rich people thing?

>work in theatre
>4 years Technical Production Degree from Noddy
>automation coexists with trained mechs like myself
>lots of travel
>lots of rl bantz

love my job.
>nearly always interesting

>Blacksmith

Tell me more.

Not much to tell user. A few years ago I bought a gas forge (300 bucks) and a welder (300 bucks) with the argon and propane necessary for both (600 bucks).

Then I just hit up farmers, ferriers, and local smithing guys and asked if they needed help. Ferriers and "real" smiths (the Old Boys club for it is real) make around 100-200 an hour - I charge 25 and sell my other shit online.

You literally cant fuck it up. Buy in for a grand, fuck around on the internet and do maybe a month or so of research, and then put your shit online and wait for delicious hipster cash.

How about the fact the only places I could get was lab technician (on 20/7 call, no excuses) or making herbal extracts for an alternative medicine store, 6.5 GPA (we do it out of 9.0) as well.

I hate you as much as my cousin who does the same.

Shit man, I've been toying with the idea of giving it a go. I've got an old hand-crank forge that's been in the family for generations, and an anvil with some scrap to fuck around with.

Just wasn't sure if you worked for yourself or in someone else's shop, what kind of stuff you made, or how you even got customers. Naturally if I went into that I wouldn't keep the hand-crank forge except to fuck around with and maybe charge extra for "authentic" or "old-style" smithing, whatever you actually want to call doing shit the hard way. Maybe I'll fire it up, see how I like it, then grab some better gear if it's enjoyable.

Mainly I do weapons and armor. I'm on the East Coast - theres a large amount of folks who do rennfaire type shit around here.

Down South in Georgia when I was there, I did a lot more repair work. Welding shit on the cheap, fixing old civil-war era tools and shit, and other things.

You can do whatever, steel is fuckin cheap as fuck and coal is like 50 bucks a ton. Just take an afternoon, try banging something simple out like a shovel, see if you like it - the money isnt good enough to work that hard without loving it.
Love you too, ausbro

I'm in KY, so I'm pretty sure most of my work would be repairs or making knives and the like. Coal is cheap as fuck, but to start with I'll probably use coke, shit's everywhere around here.

Thanks for the tips man, worst case I'll end up with a new hobby. Best case, I end up loving it and making a living from it too. Even if it's just kind of alright, it's still got to be better than factory work.

Hope it works out for you man, def post results to Cred Forums and /diy/ if you get something done with it

Will do. I've seen the /diy/ threads, but always got distracted by bunkerbro instead.

You said you throw your extra work online, mind if I ask where?

If I could sit down and have a beer with you I'd show you the appreciation for your trade I love black smithing it's literally quantum alpha tier trade in terms of anything that'll be necessary in the grim dark abyss of the apocalyptic future. Good luck to you user fuck those nu males

it's because the marxist teachers want us to stay poor so we're easier to manipulate into falling for their ideology

No shit i have a job where its 70% mental and 30% hard work if your an idiot it flips. A retard i work with who runs less volume worked 12 hours and i brisked in after 7. Skills over robots

Is it worth it to get "educated" as an electrician?

Speaking of college.

mises.org/blog/student-loan-scam-killed-itt-tech

I'm a college grad with a comfy white collar job, but I respect tradesmen A HELL of a lot more than anyone with useless liberal arts degree.

Doctors > Lawyers > STEM > Trades > Liberal Arts > NEETs

In high school we were given the option of transferring to a career school for junior and senior year so we could learn a trade. Of course all the yuppies scoffed at the idea and said people who went there were stupid rednecks. I went, learned to weld, and had a job making parts for power plants while I was still in school. Fast forward a few years and now those same yuppies who gave me shit are tens of thousands of dollars in debt from their worthless gender studies degrees, they're still living with their parents, and they bag my groceries for me at the store while being payed minimum wage.

Glad to hear it worked out. It really seems like the college degree isn't worth much and the amount of people with degrees is saturated. The amount of people with real skills and experience is always more in demand.

Sure there are exceptions for those who go into specialized skills like engineering, but for the most part, the average person really is better off learning a trade. Even coding or maintaining linux servers. I know a guy who just went through certificate programs for linux and after I don't know how many years of experience, he took a job for over $80,000 per year. He's probably making more than that now.

tl;dr skills and experience are all that matter in real life.

This needs to be memed into the public consciousness. College students today on the whole are the stupidest people who fully believe they are smart.

Hey guv what's a chippy? Or a spark for that matter?

Prior military emt cert killed it on the physical agility and that civil service exam was designed for retards. Even bought into "get a degree" which though learned a lot, hasn't helped much for employment or getting interviews for the fire depts applied to. Maybe I need to branch out of state

Sounds like a carpenter and electrician to me.

Chippy = Carpenter
Sparky = Electrician

You really want to be putting liberal arts fags above NEETs? I'm pretty sure liberal arts people are worse in so many ways.

Ah good call.

You'll have to forgive me. I just ate a really good burger with cheese and bacon and I've been up for awhile so just about ready to pass out.

It takes one volt of electromagnetic force to push one ampere of current through one ohm of resistance, there, you're an electrician!

My union called me literally yesterday with their endorsement of Shills. "Can we count on your vote?" I told them fuck no, because freedom.

I almost went to uni but started a building apprenticeship instead. probably the best decision I ever made.

Since women are the ones driving society?

They are the ones with the problem.

Men do not look down on trades.

Doctors and STEM are definitely high tier. But lawyers are scum of the fucking earth and more parasitic than a NEET could ever achieve.

here in argentina a shitload of lawyers and psycologists are cashiers

Since white men should have stopped pretending it's still 1985 and stopped LARPing around in some long-gone Bruce Springsteen fantasy land.

I fucking HATE that white men still think the trades and manual labor is somehow honorable work. It's not. You people are retards. Why? I'll explain:

While all you fucking stupid low IQ faggots were pushing trades and pretending you matter, you managed to convince white men en masse to abandon positions of power in industries that DO matter. That created a power vacuum, and in that vacuum, women, Jews, and shitskins filled those empty positions and took control of EVERY fucking western country in the world, without firing a fucking shot.

What industries matter? What industries control the world? IT AIN'T FUCKING TRADES. But you retards will get triggered and ignore this post so I'm wasting my time. If you care, the following industries matter, and trades don't (fuck tradies and fuck you):

1. Banking
2. Finance
3. Education
4. Mainstream News
5. Entertainment (movies, TV etc)
6. Social Media
7. Politics
8. Technology
9. Law

How far have you made it? Psych? Chief's interview?

Move to Ontario and get in the automotive industry, things are looking pretty good over here