If the Democrat party is the party of slavery...

If the Democrat party is the party of slavery, why do the Union states (the side that abolished slavery) typically vote democrat?

Seems like the parties did switch at some point.

They didn't switch. Democrats were always "the poor man's party," it just mutated from agrarian-centered home-grown populism into urban-centered European style social democracy/Marxism lite during the 20th century..

he Republicans were always the party of the rich/industry and protestant Christianity. Agriarian southerners started voting for them because they weren't quite as openly hostile to their politcal interests as Democrats became.

How shitty is it living in a swing state? I'd imagine it sucks because you never know if the person you're talking to is a filthy democommie or a fellow republican

Even within swing states the Republicans and the Democrats are geographically separated for the most part. They swing because of who turns out.

Not entirely true, there are plenty of Republican communities in northern VA (like McLean and Leesburg, filled with rich white business owners) despite the NoVA area typically voting democrat (white yuppies who never have to deal with googles)

Likewise, southern VA goes red almost everywhere except Norfolk and Newport News (high density of googles)

how to get account verfied?

Be somebody famous.

>Tfw your state will never go red.

With segregation no longer an issue, the South eventually began voting for other reasons, as did the North. It wasn't until enough of the old segregationist Democrats had died off by the 1990s that Republicans finally began to win state and local elections in the South. The Northeast had already been mixed in their voting patterns by several decades before the civil rights movement in Presidential elections, but it was similarly not until recently that the Northeast became solid Democrat territory.

Fundamentally, the parties did not substantially change. What changed were the issues of interest to the American people in each region of the country. Issues like civil rights were resolved while new issues like abortion and gun rights/control were nationalized.

>tfw your entire nation goes red, but the blue guy gets elected

Copy-paste

No dummy. Most of the midwest still votes republican for example. nailed it

Should I even bother voting in OK? I mean Trump is probably going to win my state no matter who I vote for.

This sums it up the shift in focuses pretty well.

>"Should I even bother voting in Vermont? We've voted republican every single election since the party was founded except once, Republicans will win no matter who I vote for.

fshghfbsd

I wish the system was more like: which ever candidate gets the most votes in that county, wins the county's vote, with each county holding one vote.

Voting would a lot more interesting that way, and large cities wouldn't get to decide a state's leaning.

So how would you rectify counties that have huge population disparities?

example:

>county 1
>population: 300,000 - votes republican
>1 vote for republican

>county 2
>population: 20,000 - votes democrat
>1 vote for democrat

Republican candidate got more total votes

Yes, absolutely. The more Republicans win by, the more discouraged Democrats are in future elections of the same state. Let the margin close and Democrats might start trying in your state.

Counties are arbitrarily drawn and can be arbitrarily redrawn. Imagine New York City and San Francisco deciding they suddenly want to be 20,000 counties each.

>implying land lock states matter

That kind of thinking is why states turn blue after being red for a century

That would be even more unrepresentative than it is now, think about it.
BumFuck county, Nowheresville with a population of 102 gets as many votes as LA county with a population of 9M+

>implying coastal states grow the food you eat, pump the oil you use, and contain the necessities to power the electric grid that your life depends on

Vote dummy. Local elections matter too.

Yes. Votes = (You)s

Funny to think that Missouri was once considered to be the best bellwether state. That was before the US became 60% white while Missouri stayed 80%.

democrats are easy to pick out

>white yuppie
>dumbass white girl
>poor immigrant
>anyone without a job
>ghetto trash

All democrats

I am from missouri and this state is being less white. Nigs from St. louis and kansas city are entering the suburbs in droves and what once used to be white suburbs are now nigger suburbs or white majority with a substantial nigger populace. Also a lot of Indians (poo in loos) are immigrating to St. Louis along with asians in the wealthiest parts. Also spics are becoming huge in size. Soon missouri will be just like america and the only parts still 95% white will the ozarks.