Ctrl+f

>ctrl+f
>no antique art thread
Let's fix this.

how is this antique

Grimshaw has always been one of my favorites. I use some as wallpapers from time to time.

Forgive my English mate.

I think OP probably meant "traditional" or "classic" since English isn't their first language. Antique does sound kind of weird in this instance OP.

Yeah, my English's pretty rusty.

Nudes when?

Thomas Cole's "The Course of Empire" is an excellent series of paintings.

Well it's something you can find in an antique shop. :^)

Btw art and antique dealer here, feel free to ask any question relating to art.

Who do you think are the most underrated painters? People that are regarded as excellent by artists and dealers but a normie philistine like me wouldn't know of?

Do you notice a distinct difference between the types of people buying modern art and more traditional pieces?

I fucking love Ilya Repin

What a shame that the classical style was replaced by garbage that (((they))) have the audacity to call art.

Would the artist sit at these locations and just paint them from there, or would they just do it out of memory/imagination?

Underrated painters are 19th century painters for sure (not Impressionist). It's called "Art Pompier" or "Académisme". They are still largely discarded by French people.
America saved such art from the 19th century till around the 1980s.

>Do you notice a distinct difference between the types of people buying modern art and more traditional pieces?
Yeah. Modern art buyers are younger white people (from 20s to 40s), while traditional pieces are either old white people (Americans and British mostly), or Russians and East Asians. There are all sorts of East Asians: young ones, older gees, women, men, anything really.

Pic related is a painting sold last month to a Ruskie... Picture quality is terrible I know.

>Would the artist sit at these locations
Rarely. Such trend really started with the Impressionists (from 1860s), more or less thanks to the invention of paint tubes.
But it's mostly just a quick study and they rework in their studio.

If you know, what happened to art that caused it to be so abhorrent, talentless and repulsive today?

>If you know, what happened to art that caused it to be so abhorrent, talentless and repulsive today?

In a tl;dr version, the beginning of modernism caused that. You know impressionism, and then Cézanne, and then so on.

The root is mostly when "Académisme" was almost shut down when the famous "Salon" (extremely important yearly exhibition in Paris) stopped being selectived and allowed almost everybody in.
And then impressionism came it, opened the door to all other sorts of modernism. It started smoothly, just by depicting modern life, and it slowly became more abstract. Cézanne was one of the first one to be a truly modern artist.
Things started getting real weird when artists joined together and tried to be as anti-mainstream as possible. Literary and philosophical figures followed steps and were supportive, that's when the whole modern trend grew big enough to become post-modern after WW2.

Also art patrons are no longer the same. From the Middle Ages to the end of 19th century, patrons were judged upon their artistic tastes so they had to be extremely careful when they buy art. Nowadays the trend is opposite; patrons define taste upon everybody, motivated by a sense of speculation.

Also forgot obligatory picture.

What is your honest opinion on contemporary art?

My personal opinion. Really dislike, it's a pure scam. Most contemporary artists are hobos but the few of them with crazy prices only went through lucky speculation.
The thing is, you have to think of it as a whole. Furniture quality are getting worse and worse year by year. Antique furniture required solid materials and craftsmanship. Contemporary furniture do not, they come in thousands and are made of plastic or cheap materials.

I have almost zero interest. I tried, went to some exhibitions, grasp some concepts thanks to books, even took courses... But I really don't like it. It also slowly kills my business, less and less people are buying traditional art...
Thankfully, Russians and East Asians are still very keen.

But modern art starded really to be everywhere since the mass production and computing science right ? Is it still "in phase" to make academism and classism now ?

I have noticed this trend apply not only to art & furniture, but in practically every product.
>almost everything's made in china; mediocre at best quality
>shit breaks more frequently because of bad-quality materials and/or intentional factors
But, I digress.