Determinism vs Free Will

Determinism states that our environment determines the way we think and behave.
Our environment automatically activates both conscious and unconscious goals.
Thus, we are not ultimately responsible for our actions, and we merely live with the illusion of free will.

Inversely,
Free Will presents that it is possible to understand automatic behaviors in a non-deterministic way.
We are not passively shaped by stimuli from our environment.
Individuals ultimately direct their own goals by actively bestowing meaning upon our experiences.

Which is it, Cred Forums?

Determinism...i don't remember the exact reason.

I saw my openly liberal philosophy teacher at the shooting range with a AR15 and a glock 19, what did he mean by that?

Metaphysical determinism is a fact. Existential free-will is a fact. The two are not mutually exclusive.

false premise that the two are incompatable. some values are noncalculatable and nonrandom, like omega. aldo if free will requires dice, then youre just hiding behind complexity and saying free will = rng, which raises the question if dice should face jugement

tl;dr determimism has nothing to do with free will

Anyone who believes in free will is backwards rationalizing their life, because they think they are special snowflakes, and that their ideas and opinions are special and unique.

The human mind cannot ever truly absorb determinism unless through deep meditation.

Please ELi5

I agree with determinism but see the belief in free will as an inevitability.

Vanity is supposed to be characteristic of free-willers. You fedora.

>born without a nuclear family
>raised by single mother
>now I'm a cross-dressing faggot that can't a gf

Yup, I would have to go with determinism

Consider that free will is actually a lie. A malicious lie. A lie that sits at the center of a global conspiracy. Consider just hypothetically, what would it mean if belief of free will was the ultimate state of denial, the ultimate state of vanity, and the ultimate state of aggression.

What if free will was a lie that can be attributed with nearly all of the suffering in this world

The ideology OP sets up is that the concept of determinism negates the possibility of agency. Everyone agrees that agency exists because every human is constantly confronted with choices, and it's everyone's experience that choices have consequences. If there is an "great clock maker" of a creator who attempts to hold each accountable for their choices on some judgement day, then the determinism vs agency magically becomes valid. Amongst us, living in the material world, we have culpability to each other.

Except not everyone agrees that agency exists. Determinism is the idea that every single choice is made based upon preexisting criteria.

We have a humanities board

Just because an agent is predictable doesn't negate the fact it's still an agent.

Again, under the scope of determinism, agents' choices can not be predicted between one or another. Instead, there is only one choice that individual can make, and it is based upon previous experiences and stimuli.

There's no scientific evidence for free will.

With all the information we have right now, it looks like our mind functions as a very advanced neural network.

The Universe as a whole though, is in-deterministic. Quantum mechanics makes everything probabilistic. Molecules have shown to also behave as wave-forms at extremely high temperatures.

At ~298K though quantum mechanical indeterminancy is negligible, so everything is basically deterministic.

TL;DR our minds are nothing but organic computers user

Sure, maybe more than that too including the precise time and place, and to whom, you were born. If I had the exact same physical existence and lived the exact same life as someone else, I would be none other than that same someone else.

Let's blow the notion of metaphysical free-will out of the water and say I conjured or invented an infallible oracle. I mean if you asked it what you would do on Tuesday, then through all your best efforts to prove this oracle wrong, you ended up still proving it correct. In your opinion, would this completely negate all culpability for anybody's actions.

This is strawman fallacy

It's a hypothetical. Strawman argument would be me putting words in your mouth.

It's strawman because it's a misrepresentation of my argument, not only that- you've also set up a loaded question.

It wasn't meant to be, and I'm not even sure which side you're on. This question of determinism vs personal responsibility is ancient, and using an infallible oracle as a way of approaching the topic goes at least as far back as Homer's Odessey. The actual existence of an oracle would nuke any possibility of the existence of free-will on the metaphysical level. Would its existence negate the basis of believing in personal accountability? Anyone can chime in on this.

Would believing in personal accountability negate the existence of an oracle? Would that make the oracle some kind of a.I./feedback loop? Or does it nullify the oracles existence? Putting us at odds with it, or possibly even in cooperation?

No, yes, no, no, and yes.

" (God) " ?

I've always felt this way, and that because of it, the interaction is always intrapersonal - something that I deal with on a very personal basis.

What role does the mind play? Obviously it's a calculator, but given my set of information (my life) this seems to be just a way to manage things between my meetings with god. The ego/mind dynamic almost seems like a good case for what I've heard others call "the demiurge/temptation/etc" it always seems to be there but life at least for me is defined by this "oracle" scenario. I seem to be in a constant dealing with choices that feel personal but at the same time feel like hive mind movements for the greater human body. I'm rambling.

Free will is feel good hippie bullshit with no actual arguments behind it except for "i would like it to be true".