/og/ - Orthodox General

If you don't have an Orthodox parish in your area, send an email to Ancient Faith Ministries and ask them to put a mission to your area

Understanding how divorce works in Orthodoxy
Mass Baptisms in the Philippines

romancatholicsmetorthodoxy.wordpress.com/2016/09/18/philippines-february-3-2016-99-baptized-in-mass-baptism-into-orthodoxy/

workersectingreece.wordpress.com/2016/09/18/december-2015-new-orthodox-baptisms-in-philippines-two-filipino-protestant-bishops-four-pastors-and-their-flock/

romancatholicsmetorthodoxy.wordpress.com/2016/09/17/september-26-2015-mass-baptism-in-kiamba-philippines-187-former-philippine-independent-catholic-church-members-baptized-orthodox-christians/

workersectingreece.wordpress.com/2016/09/18/december-2015-new-orthodox-baptisms-in-philippines-two-filipino-protestant-bishops-four-pastors-and-their-flock/

romancatholicsmetorthodoxy.wordpress.com/2016/09/18/philippines-february-3-2016-99-baptized-in-mass-baptism-into-orthodoxy/

Orthodox hymns
Aramaic: youtube.com/watch?v=9nJP-4JzMhQ
Greek: youtube.com/watch?v=AE1FzSC8DBs
Spanish: youtube.com/watch?v=xc91xrGtaKo
Serbian: youtube.com/watch?v=DUCF4ZXpIuU
Bulgarian: youtube.com/watch?v=3wm4RlnnaOU
French: youtube.com/watch?v=GI92g8JWwn8
Arabic: youtube.com/watch?v=Y8r5r4R2yuE
English: youtube.com/watch?v=LUjtgV6OPBM
German: youtube.com/watch?v=2bYq1BqHURs
Chinese: youtube.com/watch?v=PS1uf0oQCg4
Russian: youtube.com/watch?v=hQAgrCuKwPc
Romanian: youtube.com/watch?v=M-rgQve74BI
cont

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/bN1ujq2x
saintandrew.net/files/catechumen info/Catechumen_Renunciations_and_Affirmations_Form.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=XP0J2eDPIjU
youtube.com/watch?v=fHZtbnaXuGk
youtube.com/watch?v=QxcOv4zPoVo
youtube.com/watch?v=noetoc2W4Pc
youtube.com/watch?v=u0iOBOIwQ2o
youtube.com/watch?v=qDoyZtkrU0s
youtube.com/watch?v=XN6UNVwlRbk
bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-06-16/the-orthodox-church-stays-in-the-dark-ages
nytimes.com/2016/09/14/world/europe/russia-orthodox-church.html?_r=0
youtube.com/watch?v=u3d_yxJhmjk
youtube.com/watch?v=0pqax_dPgTk
youtube.com/watch?v=Aj0iDeQchRM
youtube.com/watch?v=E-p1DmddP_I
youtube.com/watch?v=bSe0E1Mp2Ss
events.orthodoxengland.org.uk/on-conquering-nationalism-and-globalism/
youtube.com/watch?v=m08sYTHWK4c
oca.org/questions/parishlife/tithing
youtube.com/watch?v=OqjL4uKnYio
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_and_Vodou
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Orthodox pastebin
pastebin.com/bN1ujq2x

>Form for converts
saintandrew.net/files/catechumen info/Catechumen_Renunciations_and_Affirmations_Form.pdf

>Orthodox cartoon
youtube.com/watch?v=XP0J2eDPIjU

>Comparison of Orthodox and Catholic services
youtube.com/watch?v=fHZtbnaXuGk
youtube.com/watch?v=QxcOv4zPoVo

>Comparison of Orthodox and Catholic Liturgical hymns
youtube.com/watch?v=noetoc2W4Pc
youtube.com/watch?v=u0iOBOIwQ2o
youtube.com/watch?v=qDoyZtkrU0s
youtube.com/watch?v=XN6UNVwlRbk

>Media Attacks Orthodox Church
bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-06-16/the-orthodox-church-stays-in-the-dark-ages
nytimes.com/2016/09/14/world/europe/russia-orthodox-church.html?_r=0

>Putin's faith in his own words
youtube.com/watch?v=u3d_yxJhmjk

>Verses backing up veneration and intercession
Exodus 18:7
Joshua 7:6
1 Kings 13:6

>Based Patriarch

Orthodox Church on immigration
>Such an important aspect of modern life like mass migration is not left unattended. Unlike the Catholic approach that unduly favors migrants, particularly in Europe, the Orthodox notices the negative nature of the process, as well as the fact that it leads to confrontation of different identities and value systems. In addition, the Orthodox Church propose to look at the roots of this phenomenon. The reason for the migration is the liberal, hedonistic ideology bleeding the peoples of Europe and the interests of the capitalist elite, who need a cheap and disenfranchised workforce:

>Attempts by indigenous people of the rich countries to stop the migration flow are futile, because they come in conflict with the greed of their own elites who are interested in the low-wage workforce

bump

Yes, please

The orthodox church is a cesspool of corruption. If there's a hell, they're all going to it.

this that who i think it is ?

Not really.

Yeah

>Not really

Not in america, but in eastern Europe, yes.

Romania has some issues, but outside of Romania, not really.

CUTE!!

Orthodox is a meme, the Orthodox Church doesn't believe the literal interpretation of genesis. They completely reject God and believe some mumbo mumbo (((scientists))) who says God made monkeys who transformed into humans. Adam and Eve weren't gorillas they were humans

Guessing you haven't read Father Seraphim Rose.

No what is it? But every orthodox I met is an alcoholic and denies the bible. Yeah, it's the best choice for the big churches but you should just be non denominational and follow the literal interpretation of the bible instead.

There are a lot of people who identify as Orthodox for culture or reasons of heritage. That doesn't rally count unless they are regularly attending worship

I grew up in a Christian family going to a Church that follows the Bible as closely as possible and even though I dont really believe that anymore, I do find all the degeneracy, the complete absence of morals and values, rampant divorce, sexual promiscuity, breakdown of the family, etc of the modern times absolutely abhorrently disgusting.
In regards to finding a place to find a good wive and raise good children, is Orthodoxy the best place for a man to do that? Thinking about trying to do it alone, without being surrounded by people who could be a positive influence rather than a negative influence, even if a good man could find a good wive, which would be a miracle in modern times, bringing up a a family surrounded by such terrible conditions of the modern times seems like such a bad idea considering all the bad influences will relentlessly tirelessly endlessly try to poison and try to destroy everything good and turn the good man and good woman and good children into degenerates.
I suppose Mormonism could also be a good place but even though I dont really believe in the Bible much anymore I'm more comfortable with the Bible a lot more than whatever books the Mormons came up with out of nowhere.

Orthodox in the U.S., in my experience, are generally extremely successful and polite,the kids all have their hair combed and wear suits to church.

I was wondering if they are accepting of such an outsider and a man who has, before being redpilled, already has had sex and been married to a nonvirgin wife an then subsequently divorced. I mean they wouldn't let such a man anywhere near any of their pure virgin women who would make high quality wives. If such a woman even exists in today's world, and assuming she was inside the Orthodox Church, why would she want to associate with a outside man who's already basically tainted.

Bump

>>Comparison of Orthodox and Catholic services
>youtube.com/watch?v=fHZtbnaXuGk
>youtube.com/watch?v=QxcOv4zPoVo
What the fuck was that? I am disappointed in the latin rite.

Saint Augustine, before he became religious, was living with a woman out of wedlock and had a son by her.

Are you baptized?

The Orthodox Church is truly the last uncucked bastion of Christianity.

Catholicism is a joke.

Hi /og/
Ever since I began visiting Cred Forums I have been redpilled, hard. I always thought it would be "funny" to accept the crazy theories and assertions of Cred Forums. Then, one day, I woke up and I found that I actually believed it. It felt very good to be exposed to the truth.
It made me reconsider my stance on Christianity and God in general. I went to church with my grandmother until she died when I was ~6 years old, and haven't gone regularly (or, really, at all). Even then, though, I never really bought into it. I've been *tipping* my fedora pretty much whole life, but I'm open-minded and curious enough at this point in my life to try and actually accept Christ. The problem is, I can't seem to get myself to ***actually*** believe it.
Like, I would love to be touched by the power of the Lord, but I literally cannot convince myself that it's real.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

>year 0 + 2016
>having a religion

The Orthodox see faith in God as a part of personal experience of God. So my suggestion is that you start praying regularly, as well as regularly attending Orthodox worship. If you can, also start following the fasts.

Read The Way of a Pilgrim

Who /antiochian master race/?

When you say "pray", do you mean strictly praying with God in your mind, as though I am having a conversation with Him? Or is it like meditation, where I just kind of "do what I think praying is"?

> orthodox kid
> go to Catholic high school
> get award for doing well in religion classes

>implying that murderous whore Natalia is Christian in any respect except political

>Are you baptized?
Yes when I was in my late teens when I still thought I really believed that Jesus was the son of God and came to Earth to die for my sins I was baptized in the name of the Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit.
But I stopped really literally believing the Bible. And since then I went off and had sex with a few different women before marriage, but I was looking for a LTR with them but these women where not looking for LTR they just wanted to fuck and as soon as I told them I was looking for a LTR they got scared and ran off. I finally found what I thought was a good woman who wanted to marry but she had already slept with another man but I didnt know any better so we got married and right after getting married she changed a lot and wanted to get divorced.
Like I said I dont really literally believe anymore but I do think that the Bible is good because it is the culmination of the hard work of distilling thousands of years of the ideas that work really well to keep a society and culture functioning healthy into one book and its very good idea to follow and practice a lot of the things that are in the Bible and its no surprise to see when the Bible is abandoned how society and culture turn rotten.

I mean repeating the Jesus Prayer.

Don't use any images in your mind, that's considered idoltry in Orthodoxy (since it's very easy to get confused and think you are actually "seeing God", and not just a mental image, and that would be idolatry, taking an image for God himself--we are into "seeing God," but if you get to that point, it won't be in the form of an image in your head, it will be something must more mystical). If you cannot focus your thoughts with your eyes closed, and they tend to wander, then pray with your eyes open, looking at an icon. Pray either standing or kneeling (the Orthodox, like the early Christians, think it is disrespectful to pray while sitting down, unless you are infirm or elderly or something like that). Either life up your hands, or keep them at your side. Just repeat the Jesus Prayer over and over, aloud if you have to stay focused. You can also pray with your fingers by making the sign of the Cross, do this every time you pass a cross, hear of someone's death, or are about to travel. Pray the Our Father the first thing in the morning, before you do anything else. Read the Gospel every day and take time to quietly contemplate it.

Tone 7
O Blessed and Venerable To-om Hanks,
Thou hast shown thyself to be a defender of the true faith,
When thou won an Oscar for thy role as For-rest Gump,
O shining light of Ho-lly Wood,
Intercede for us and save our souls!

Praying takes many forms. I usually mediate and try to focus on God. I try to abandon the finite and truly resign myself to Him. I don't ask Him for anything. I stretch my hands out.

This way may not be traditional orthodox since my faith is largely based on Kierkegaard's writing.

Please, do not convert if you aren't planning on actually believing the faith, including believing Jesus is literally the creator of the universe and he died and was raised from the Dead. We are not interested in converts who just want virgin wives.

>We are not interested in converts who just want virgin wives.
Is that the only thing you took away from all that I wrote?

How do you guys do it? I mean how do you keep going?
I'm assuming it's easier if you are a true believer. At that point it must be like eating or breathing. Is this correct?

>1000 + x 2 + 15
>not being a Pagan

I will shill paganism every day for the rest of my life

GOD BLESS HOLY RUSSIA AND ORTHODOX CHRISTIANS!

The Orthodox are the only Christians I know of that actually tell people not to convert. It's kind of a double-edged sword. In your case, you sound a bit snobbish.

No, I was answering the rest, but I deleted it when I saw the end. I would be happy to answer your other questions, but it's pointless unless we can be clear on this first.

Nope, faith is never like eating or breathing, because faith is something that affects you very deeply and is conscious, it's not part of a mundane routine.

Is Orthodox same as Coptic? Whats the difference? Are any or these seen as too different ?

It's because you *can't* convert if you don't accept the faith. If you are interesting in accepting the faith, then we are very supportive of converts. But if you aren't, then you can't convert, because you reject the very premise of Orthodoxy.

What is Catholicism so disliked by everyone?

Does your abbot know you're on Cred Forums right now?

Just out of curiosity I wanted to ask what Christians think about how people on pol praise kek and think of like some sort of ancient god or deity with powers? Do you think this is some kind of satanism worship or something?

Coptic are Oriental Orthodox (they also include folks like Armenian and Ethiopian).

Literally the only difference between Eastern Orthodox (Greek, Russian, Antiochian, etc.) and Oriental Orthodox is this

Eastern Orthodox: Christ is two natures, human and divine

Oriental Orthodox: Christ is one nature, human and divine

Otherwise, complete agreement on all doctrine.

I'm not a monk, I don't have an abbot. If I were a monk, I probably couldn't even use a computer except for things in direct service to the monastery that my elder requested. Monks can't even use phones except for that reason. And all letter monks write, have to be read by the elder before they can go out.

It's nihilistic in the Destructivist sense that Father Seraphim Rose talks about in the anti-modernist work: "Nihilism: The Root of the Revolution of the Modern Age"

I think I found mummys younger sister!

youtube.com/watch?v=Aj0iDeQchRM

I've always romanticized the idea of monkhood, but without faith it would be literally impossible as far as I can tell.

Without faith, you aren't going to get up at four in the morning and close your eyes in silent prayer for hours standing and then worship and then pray again and then do manual labor and then pray for several more hours and do more manual labor and then eat a meager meal (one in the morning and one in the evening for half the days in the year, only one at four in the afternoon for more than half the days), and then go back to prayer. And do this day in, and day out, forbidden even from talking unless there is practical necessity, even with visitors (unless you are directly asked a question, but if's for anything spiritual, you have to tell the visitor to go to the elder). Most monks are on their feet or their knees their entire lives, except during eating and sleeping, unless they become to elderly to be able to do it.

>decries mental imagery as idolatry
>fills church with bright golden idols and images
Yeah, that's the problem with you guys. Well, one of them.

Massacre de la Saint-Barthélemy

So why do they do it? Sorry if I'm sounding like an idiot here, but I am genuinely curious and not trying to belittle it in any way.

Well we define idolatry as a man-made form that is intended or taken to be consubstantial with what it represents. That's why Orthodox icons are intentionally in a style that is flat an unrealistic. You are not going to think, even unconsciously, the icon is whom it represents anymore than you will think a cross is, but if you have an image in your imagination, you can definitely get mixed up and thinking the figment is Jesus's actual face appearing to you.

There is a recent novel, called Laurus, about a man who falls into grave sin, and spends the rest of his life trying to right it. Even if you aren't religious, if you read it, you will grasp what draws men and women to the monastic life.

Added to my reading list. I'll check out this and The Way of a Pilgrim as my next books. Thanks for everything so far.

Enjoy.

youtube.com/watch?v=E-p1DmddP_I

Idk man, the orthodox church has repeatedly issued condemnations against nationalists and the "alt" right.

What exactly makes you redpilled? And if you're not, why exactly are you evangelising in this cesspool, since almost every ethic of pol is anti-Christian anyway? Sad as it is, kissing the feet of poor refugees is something Jesus would approve of. The New Testament despises any form of violence, even in defence of the faith.

Only Russian Orthodox. Originally its level of corruption was comparable to other branches of Christianity, but original Russian Orthodox Church was wiped out almost entirely by commie kikes when they came to power. Some time after Stalin put together new church, mostly consisting of government functionaries and secret service agents, and this church remains like that to the present day. Yes, of course there many devoted and idealistic people at the bottom of its hierarchy, but top brass worships only a golden calf and shares business with Putin and his jewish friends.

I'm Macedonian and we're plagued with fat, greedy sacks of shit masquerading as priests.

I think corruption is is universal in Orthodox nations

What's the big deal about Jesus? He was just a weird Jew who was having an identity crisis.

youtube.com/watch?v=bSe0E1Mp2Ss

This might help you understand the Orthodox position on both nationalism and globalism: events.orthodoxengland.org.uk/on-conquering-nationalism-and-globalism/

The Bolsheviks imprisoned the clergy and took away the parishes and started the "Living Church", with the state running it. But the Orthodox faithful would not attend, and so Stalin gave the parishes back to the imprisoned clergy, during WWII, because he needed to boost morale.

Tfw no Orthodox qt to spend your life with.

The funny thing about this image is that there's nothing in the Christian tradition about KISSING the feet at all, just washing them. Washing implies purification, which implies the obvious - that feet are DIRTY and not the type of thing to be kissing.

The Orthodox kiss the feet of Jesus on icons. It's a sign of extreme veneration because, well, he's God.

Well their position is less anti-nationalist than other churches, but that's encouraging.

You still haven't answered my other objections. Mainly about how exactly you're planning to sell an explicitly pacifist, non-violent religion which actively discourages violence even to defend the faith to the Cred Forums crowd.

I mean, using scripture and/or early christian literature, can you explain what's wrong with this image?

Any normal person can viscerally sense something wrong with the image, but in a Christian framework it's perfectly ok to kiss the feet of Third World "refugees"

The image is wrong because the Pope is venerating someone who espouses a faith that explicitly denies Christ is the Son of God or died for our sons. It's completely inappropriate. Did Christ kiss the feet of the Pharisees?

Hail an English user. I am very weak in the language so I write through on Google Translate. The Russian Church has unfortunately - big business. A lot of the clergy "sanctify" cars, houses, etc. at a fixed price list. The age-old church was left in small towns and villages. The decline of faith.

The Church will bless the houses and cars of parishioners on appropriate days. It doesn't cost anything.

Are you talking about the Russian Orthodox Church?

>Are you talking about the Russian Orthodox Church?
Уes

That video is cool, but we both know it's a stretch. Sure, Jesus said to sell your cloak and buy a sword, but he rebuked Peter for cutting off Malchus' ear, telling him to put his sword away. He also tells us to bear insults, and turn our cheek rather than defend ourselves. None of the apostles ever defend themselves or persecuted Christians in the New Testament, they all meekly suffer and let the faithful suffer too.

The New Testament de-legitimises violence of any sort, so how exactly can you use it to justify any kind of violence whatsoever? In a Christian perspective, fighting against Third World migration is a sin.

And I have to ask, are you a real Christian, or just an alt right LARPer who promotes Orthodoxy because it's the least cuckolded church? Even Patriarch Bartholomew has called for increased dialogue and respect for Islam.

I'm not trying to be abrasive here, but if you're being genuine, you need to consider what I'm saying before you evangelise to people here

Wow I didn't know it was so bad.

How could it be, a religion that is corrupt and wants your money? I have never seen that before.

You thought >any church is not "so bad"?

Some patriarch's travel through Moscow
youtube.com/watch?v=m08sYTHWK4c

Sorry I have listened to Pimsleur Russian CD and the only Russian that I know sounds something like
Privet.
Ya ne ponimayu

I've always thought Orthodox is the best religion, but it seems weird to convert without any other reason and with no Slavic heritage whatsoever.

Can you explain what's happening in this video, user?

His words to Peter apply in a general way, but they also apply in a particular way to Peter, to ensure he didn't do somethings with his sword he might otherwise do--for instance, he probably would have put Ananias and Sapphira to the sword of Jesus had not told him this.

The Apostles didn't defend themselves partially because they overtly supported the Roman Empire and strove to present themselves as ideal Roman Citizens, and fighting back would be stirring up rebellion against the Empire. In the end, this paid off.

Patriarch Bartholomew is just a regular bishop with a ceremonial title, he's not like an Orthodox Pope. He's actually been called out by Mount Athos, and the last Patriarch of Constantinople was even struck off this list of people Mount Athos prays for after lifting the anathemas.

I'm not really 'alt-right'. Politically, I'm more in line with Father Seraphim Rose.

It's not, he's going off of gossip, memes, or preconception. Charging money to have things blessed is an excommonicable offense.

Most Antiochian Orthodox in America are converts or the children of converts, and worship completely in English.

Police cross the road so some high-ranked official (probably patriarch) could pass without any traffic jam

Yeah but I live in Australia, and not even in a big capital city. Most of the Orthodox churches here are Greek, though googling reveals Russian, Macedonian and Serbian churches within driving distance. I'd be the only person there who's not an emigrant form those countries.

Everyone earns money as he can. The average visitor to the church is not rich and can not make large donations. For example, in many temples is forbidden to use candles not bought from them. This is just one example.

I very highly doubt that.

And the part about turning our cheek?

Where does the Bible draw the line between meekness and moral cowardice?

Would it not be a sin to react to insults against you? Should not good Christians simply forgive incidents like Cologne?

No, it's not. You probably are thinking of the rule against using candles that are scented or extravagant, or using brought in candles for the placement in the narthex (which nobody compels you to bother with), since they don't want people bringing in individualist looking candles and placing them to grab attention among the others. Bringing in your own candle for things like vigils is completely permissible,. so long as this is kept in mind.

Yes, you should forgive all personal harm. But you shouldn't let foreign,anti-Christian invaders take over. That's irresponsible in the face of your duty to your people and family.

I understand that it's irresponsible, but where in the New Testament can you point to so as to justify the irresponsibillity of this act?

Where did the apostles justify taking up arms to protect our communities?

There is, for example against candles purchased in another temple.

This. Same with the catholics.

They don't, because they weren't interested in protecting Israel from Rome after Jesus said they would be rekt by Rome due to their rejection of him. That's not really the same as saying it's wrong to be a soldier, if you'll recall, Christ commended the Roman soldier who asked his slave to be healed, above the Jews.

Not unless you bring in more than one, since there are people who try to make a hustle out of that by reselling the candles bought at one parish, in another.

In regard to national defense, see Romans 13:4. In Luke 3:14, the soldiers ask Christ how they are to live, and he doesn't tell them to quite being soldiers, he just says don't extort money and be content with your wages.

Thanks, that's interesting

Could you recommend an accurate Bible translation what includes all the deuterocanonicals of the Orthodox Church?

I've got a Catholic one (Good News Bible) which has almost all the Deuterocanonicals (Except 3 Maccabees and a couple other ones)

See the pastebin in the second post in this thread

>In 1995, the Nikolo-Ugreshky Monastery, which is directly subordinated to the patriarchate, earned $350 million from the sale of alcohol. The patriarchate’s department of foreign church relations, which Kirill ran, earned $75 million from the sale of tobacco. But the patriarchate reported an annual budget in 1995-1996 of only $2 million. Kirill’s personal wealth was estimated by the Moscow News in 2006 to be $4 billion.

tfw your patriarch personally has wealth equal to almost 1/3 of all the Catholic Churches Wealth.

Shitposting aside what is the Orthodox view on evolution and what is the role of reason when it comes to the truth.

Also what is the Orthodox view on Tithing when did it stop/start and why?

The article you got that greentext from probably isn't very reliable, since it says the Patriarch is a former KGB agent, something that there is actually no evidence for other than the hearsay of one guy who claimed to have seen secret documents once that for some reason no one else has.

>Also what is the Orthodox view on Tithing when did it stop/start and why?
Because Pharisees used it as a way of getting out having to give to charity or support their parents.

Is there any source on his wealth? He clearly isnt poor by any stretch.

>Because Pharisees used it as a way of getting out having to give to charity or support their parents.

So why is that some church leaders push for it then?

Right here boi

He's not remotely poor, but he doesn't get any income from things like that, that goes to the Church fund. At worst, he charges a lot of expenses to the Church fund, but he doesn't actually manage it himself or have ready or legal access to it.

If by tithing you mean donations (as opposed to 10% "flat tax"), it's because you need money to keep the Church going. The utilities and cleaning alone for a single parish cost a ton of money. When you add the expense of missions, construction, and so on, it adds up to a fortune.

I look like the reincarnation of Nic2.

Think I have a chance with Natalia?

Did you ever find out from your priest if there was a Saint or Christian who spoke out / attempted to stop or protect the pagans from getting persecuted by Rome?

>If by tithing you mean donations (as opposed to 10% "flat tax"), it's because you need money to keep the Church going. The utilities and cleaning alone for a single parish cost a ton of money. When you add the expense of missions, construction, and so on, it adds up to a fortune.

Oh I meant actual tithing oca.org/questions/parishlife/tithing

I ask as it seems to be the best way of garunteeing Church Independence from the state

I didn't really ask him last time, because we were having a huge function last weekend and he and I were both way too busy to be talking much.

It's a good way to keep independence from the state, but on the other hand, you can't make it a demand, since charging people for church or sacraments is illegal in Church law.

>I didn't really ask him last time, because we were having a huge function last weekend and he and I were both way too busy to be talking much.

No worries Im sure another time will pop up.

>It's a good way to keep independence from the state, but on the other hand, you can't make it a demand, since charging people for church or sacraments is illegal in Church law.

So kind of like the Catholics and sort of the Mormons then where it functions on an honour system rather than exchange.

How much money do Orthodox Churches get from the Governments? Im guessing the Russian and Church and state are pretty close compared to others.

Pt 2

Also what does the Chruch do to prevent noble practices and rituals from becoming pagan in sections of the laity

bampin this absolutely based bread.
You're doing gods work user.

No, for Mormons is a serious rule and you will be excommunicated if you don't follow it.

I don't know, obviously zero where I live.

The Church uses flat icons instead of statues for precisely that reason.

Thanks.

>No, for Mormons is a serious rule and you will be excommunicated if you don't follow it.

Nah its voluntary for Mormons given the way they dont have proper ways of recording it or even set rules on the figure.

They only excommunicate people who make a big deal about not paying it and encourages others not to. If they are honest all it does it prevent them from getting a temple recommend.

>The Church uses flat icons instead of statues for precisely that reason.

Yeah but that doesnt seem to be enough, Ive met many Old Greek Ladies who treat Saints like house Gods and pray *to* their special Saints and ascribe magical powers to charms and icons.

>Nah its voluntary for Mormons given the way they dont have proper ways of recording it
No, they actually check your income to ensure you're paying 10%, at least in the U.S. You have to show them documentation of your income.

>Yeah but that doesnt seem to be enough, Ive met many Old Greek Ladies who treat Saints like house Gods and pray *to* their special Saints and ascribe magical powers to charms and icons.
There's nothing really wrong with praying to saints for intercession or miracles, since that was the practice while prophets walked the earth. Ascribing powers to charms is complete superstition, though.

Catholicucks are just that. Cucks.

Orthodox is the one true branch of Christianity and the only one to remove kebab. Pic related.

No, they actually check your income to ensure you're paying 10%, at least in the U.S. You have to show them documentation of your income.

Yeah if done at the Bishop level and even then its fuzzy over the whole 10% of total money or 10% of what is left over. If you send it straight through to the HQ ins Salt Lake city you get avoid that amoung other things.

Its kinda why I said sort of with the Mormons. Its one of their informal covenants a person makes why they join compared to formal ones of Baptism and Chastity.

>There's nothing really wrong with praying to saints for intercession or miracles, since that was the practice while prophets walked the earth.

Thats the whole issue they arent they are treating them like house Gods. Just having a funky art style does not seem to be working. I really have met old Orthodox ladies who for all intensiveness purposes are polytheists with a pantheon of Saints with God as Zeus and this is behaviour they have had for their whole lives.

>Ascribing powers to charms is complete superstition, though.

Which is one of the biggest issues I see at an informal level with the Catholic and Orthodox Churches and why I believe they are far more superstitious and prone to believing in charms and the like.

I think I should add, by the way, that prayer was not seen in just the context of worship until relatively recently. It meant to ask someone in any general sense, "Prithee" for example, is a contraction of, "I pray thee," and was used how we use "please" today. "Pray tell," a shortening of, "I pray you to do tell," is probably the only surviving common phrase that employs term "pray" in its older sense.

Like I said in my earlier posts I dont disagree with the theological logic of it however the origin of words doesnt have bearing on how people practice. For the same reason faggot offends even though its just a word for sticks.

Exarchate master race reporting in

You know the Orthodox Chruch is Catholic by definition right?

Greeks should not be considered Orthodox, they have changed the calendar they believe in.

Well, catholic say it too, but in more off hand maner, since we aren't to judge, so motivations for baptism are rarely questioned. More along the lines: We will, baptise him, but if he turns up to anything good, is on the jesus and him.

>Thats the whole issue they arent they are treating them like house Gods. Just having a funky art style does not seem to be working. I really have met old Orthodox ladies who for all intensiveness purposes are polytheists with a pantheon of Saints with God as Zeus and this is behaviour they have had for their whole lives.
No they don't. Saints are venerated for being exemplary servants of God, not for being other deities with their own interests who get in conflicts with each other. Saints, for us, are like our heavenly family, we praise them and pray to them and love them, and we give them the respect that was given to elders in ancient times. We don't offer them sacrifices or ask them for forgiveness. You just find the practice very foreign, but if you lived in actual pagan times, you'd see the difference quite easily.

>Which is one of the biggest issues I see at an informal level with the Catholic and Orthodox Churches and why I believe they are far more superstitious and prone to believing in charms and the like.
That has to do with their folkish, rural background, not their religion. You'd find similar superstitions among Protestants from equally folkish backgrounds.

This girl follows the new calender. Pls don't make her crei

By "Catholic," he obviously means the Latinists, not "Catholic" in the per se definition of the word.

You mean the pagan calendar that early Christians didn't even use (they probably used the Hebrew lunar calendar)?

Well, some Church-State history, unnecesary witch hunting (albeit evanglelicals did mayor part of it, we had our own deal), modern days we had somewhat watered down our zeal. And ity bity 4th crusade.

>No they don't. Saints are venerated for being exemplary servants of God, not for being other deities with their own interests who get in conflicts with each other. Saints, for us, are like our heavenly family, we praise them and pray to them and love them, and we give them the respect that was given to elders in ancient times. We don't offer them sacrifices or ask them for forgiveness. You just find the practice very foreign, but if you lived in actual pagan times, you'd see the difference quite easily.

No I understand the difference given my experience with Catholics. For the third time Im not attacking the theology of it.

Ive spent years talking and living with these people and I can say with complete assurance that they do not practice veneration. I know its not the ideal situation but it just how these people live.

>That has to do with their folkish, rural background, not their religion. You'd find similar superstitions among Protestants from equally folkish backgrounds.

Do you have any good examples of that?

Chill out m8 I was just having some fun with wordplay.

Could you explain to me what *you* think the difference between veneration and worship is?

>Do you have any good examples of that?
Louisiana is extremely superstition in the rural areas, Protestants included.

>Could you explain to me what *you* think the difference between veneration and worship is?
In this context:

Veneration is when you honor and or seek intercession from a Saint. Remembering them and keeping them as part of the living community and or asking from them to help plead your case before God.

Worship is when you begin to attribute the qualities of God to them, expecting them to personally intervene personally and or be the sole recipient of your prayers.

>Louisiana is extremely superstition in the rural areas, Protestants included.

Its also one of the Oldest Catholic regions in the US and was one of the more Catholic areas until Mexican immigration started ramping up so its not really a good case if anything it further prooves my point. Although I would say Lousianna is a bad example in general given it also has been influenced by African vodoo.

>Worship is when you begin to attribute the qualities of God to them, expecting them to personally intervene personally and or be the sole recipient of your prayers.
Would you say our Troparian to Elijah is worship?

youtube.com/watch?v=OqjL4uKnYio

>Although I would say Lousianna is a bad example in general given it also has been influenced by African vodoo.
What does African vodoo or Catholicism have to do with things like reading the Bible backward to send evil spirits out of he house backward?

>Would you say our Troparian to Elijah is worship?

Technically no, however I would say things like this lean more towards that which misleads the laity.

>What does African vodoo or Catholicism have to do with things like reading the Bible backward to send evil spirits out of he house backward?

Because I said earlier that Catholicism like Orthodoxy is more prone to creating such superstition than non apostolic faiths. Vodooism is relevant as this kind of practice is a big part of their animism.

Take a look at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_and_Vodou

Its a huge issue in Haiti and still has had effects in Lousianna hence making your example wrong.

Funny that you posted these hymns. My parent's house has them on repeat on a sonos channel, icons everywhere... We orthodox as fuck.

Every other church I go to looks like a circus. Doesn't feel as serious.

>Technically no, however I would say things like this lean more towards that which misleads the laity.
Do you think it would be wrong to ask a holy man to heal you?

There is no Catholic idea on reading the Bible backward. Or any vodoo idea about reading anything backward. It's just a folk-belief that arises in areas that rural and isolated and in poverty. America as a whole used to be rampantly superstitious, that's why there were so many witch burnings in Salem.

>Do you think it would be wrong to ask a holy man to heal you?

Can you just tell me what was wrong with the definitions I provided or do you want me to keep on answering questions like these?

>There is no Catholic idea on reading the Bible backward. Or any vodoo idea about reading anything backward. It's just a folk-belief that arises in areas that rural and isolated and in poverty. America as a whole used to be rampantly superstitious, that's why there were so many witch burnings in Salem.

Its animism combined with Christian ideas of exorcism. You still havent shown a rural communities as being the link between superstition.

>America as a whole used to be rampantly superstitious, that's why there were so many witch burnings in Salem.

Hardly compared to Orthodox and Catholic countries. The fact that you can only point to one community which only had an issue for less than a year prooves otherwise if anything.

>Can you just tell me what was wrong with the definitions I provided or do you want me to keep on answering questions like these?
They imply you are reading someone's mind and that the person expects only the saint to receive their prayer. I also don't think anyone is attributing qualities like omnipotence of existing from before creation, to saints.

>You still havent shown a rural communities as being the link between superstition.

Wouldn't you agree that superstition is mainly folklore? And that the more rural an area, the more vibrant the folklore?

>They imply you are reading someone's mind and that the person expects only the saint to receive their prayer. I also don't think anyone is attributing qualities like omnipotence of existing from before creation, to saints.

The only person reading minds here is you, you seemed to ignore the whole part about me living with them and discussing these types of issues for years. Remember my pantheon comment Saints cease being conduits and intercessors by lessor Gods.

>I also don't think anyone is attributing qualities like omnipotence of existing from before creation, to saints.

Convert heavy churches were members take theology seriously obviously dont but its a very different case in the ethnic churches you get in my country which havent undergone the change the US and European ones have.

>Wouldn't you agree that superstition is mainly folklore? And that the more rural an area, the more vibrant the folklore?

No, this isnt like robbin hood and faires this is evil eye, and doing certain actions any buying certain trinkets to ward of ghosts and curses put on you. You just dont get these things in the same concentration in protestant countries no matter how rural they are compared to Catholic and Orthodox ones.

Hell Moscow and Athens are probably far more superstition than any rurual population you will find in Australia.

>Remember my pantheon comment Saints [to these people] cease being conduits and intercessors but [instead] lessor Gods.

>Remember my pantheon comment Saints cease being conduits and intercessors by lessor Gods.
You said that, but didn't really explain how it's the case. I pray to saints, I ask them Prophet Elijah to heal those I care about, that doesn't mean I consider him a lessor deity.

>but its a very different case in the ethnic churches you get in my country
No one there believes saints existed before creation, are omnipotent, or any of that.

>Hell Moscow and Athens are probably far more superstition than any rurual population you will find in Australia.
I highly doubt it, unless you don't count superstitions more popular among Westerners, such as astrology and alternative medicine, as superstitions.

>You said that, but didn't really explain how it's the case. I pray to saints, I ask them Prophet Elijah to heal those I care about, that doesn't mean I consider him a lessor deity.

Because you don't consider Elijah to have powers separate from Gods which he exercise in your favor solely in his personal capacity.

Im not accusing you of being a polytheist but the people I know certainly fit the bill as they do not worship as you say you do.

>No one there believes saints existed before creation, are omnipotent, or any of that.

Remember my discussion above "lesser" Gods in the same way you would say the ancient greeks considered Venus a God even though she did not exist before creation or was omnipotent.

>I highly doubt it, unless you don't count superstitions more popular among Westerners, such as astrology and alternative medicine, as superstitions.

Id be hesitant to label all alternative medicine as superstition but I get your point. Its an interesting point you bring up, though oddly enough those seem to be urban supersitions rather than rual ones. So my challenge would still hold however it would be an interesting comparison to compare urban to urban centres

I'm sure they worship exactly as I'm, since you've never elaborated on how they do so otherwise.

>Remember my discussion above "lesser" Gods in the same way you would say the ancient greeks considered Venus a God even though she did not exist before creation or was omnipotent.
She was not venerated as holy for being a servant of Zeus, she was a separate entity with her own interests who could wage conflict with other gods. All the stories about saints, that make them renown, focus completely on their devotion to God.

> Its an interesting point you bring up, though oddly enough those seem to be urban supersitions rather than rual ones
That's because they don't actually use terms like spirit or magic, which is a more rural way of looking at the world because you don't deeply understand what causes things like sicknesses or bad weather. Urban superstitions don't use folklore, they are instead based on pop culture.

>I'm sure they worship exactly as I'm, since you've never elaborated on how they do so otherwise.

I did when I outlined my definition of worship and talked of how they were treated like house Gods

>She was not venerated as holy for being a servant of Zeus, she was a separate entity with her own interests who could wage conflict with other gods. All the stories about saints, that make them renown, focus completely on their devotion to God.

Thats the point I was trying to make, they treat saints as if they are greek gods - hence they dont have to ascribe the properties of the trinitrain god to be polytheists or idolators.

>That's because they don't actually use terms like spirit or magic, which is a more rural way of looking at the world because you don't deeply understand what causes things like sicknesses or bad weather. Urban superstitions don't use folklore, they are instead based on pop culture.

Not astrology - though defiantly some alternative medicine

Any way it is late and I must go, I hope you understand the nature of this problem and how things arent as rosey as they are in US Antiochian Churches.

I would encourage you to reflect on some of the Works of Sepharim Rose regarding humility though as Ive seen you be very quick to discount the experiences and reports from people outside your Church- particulary in eastern europe who have direct experience with Orthodoxy. There are issues of corruption - spiritual and economic in the Church that are happening even if thats not the offical policy and handwaving them prevents what could otherwise be fruitful discussion on solving them.

So how did the Orthodox church come to be?

Tolga nimenoga ya gavaryu pa ruski

Why is Orthodox take on primacy of bishop of Rome so retarded, Cred Forums?

Are you me? This sounds almost identical to my experience. We should start a community of people who want to uphold traditional social morals. But not centered around worshiping fictional beings.

Also, I think a conversion experience is simply a mental breakdown as a result from being overwhelmed. You could probably trigger one with psychedelics and over exposure to degeneracy.

It isn't. Pls stop

St. Francis of Assisi Day this Tuesday

Who is your favorite prophet of the Old Testament?

>we r so kewl and hip cause we follow ortodxy
Just

That's because nationalism and alt-right is degenerate, we /traditionalist/