Can you survive a nuclear blast by hiding in a ditch?

Not concerning fallout/heat, just the initial shockwave

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YERtfFpLIsU
youtube.com/watch?v=GAr9Ef9Aiz0
youtube.com/watch?v=9nvTd5mNRz0
youtube.com/watch?v=jcoMi5AUjug
youtube.com/watch?v=xx2MRo3M3Fs
abomb1.org/nukeffct/enw77b3.html
youtube.com/watch?v=yk3-XUe0oEU#t=10m00s
brookings.edu/articles/50-facts-about-u-s-nuclear-weapons-today/
youtube.com/watch?v=L_tKAg5KIuQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byford_Dolphin
youtube.com/watch?v=ZWSMoE3A5DI
youtube.com/watch?v=LU3AMfAUD4U
youtube.com/watch?v=1_GUwklvWJ0
ctbto.org/nuclear-testing/the-effects-of-nuclear-testing/the-united-states-nuclear-testing-programme/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Depends on many factors but basically yes

If you're as close as the picture not a chance.
Further out maybe.

Pol is full of retards you should post this on /sci/ and see what they say.

youtube.com/watch?v=YERtfFpLIsU

See evidence

Providing the ditch doesn't collapse, which it probably will, you'd feel a dampened shockwave.

In terms of JUST the shockwave, you'd experience a somewhat weaker one than above ground, meaning you'd be able to survive closer to the impact.

Dude, I think you'll find better answers on Quora.
This is Cred Forums, sewer filled with inbred, uneducated, gay nazis.

I study Computer Science and Physics

Depends on the size of the blast, how far away you are, how deep the ditch is but basically yes.

>youtube.com/watch?v=GAr9Ef9Aiz0

The expert has spoken.

Thermodynamics, bitch. Learn it.

Nukes aren't detonated on the surface, they're detonated in the air.

HAYYil Hitler!

even better if you take your doors off and nail them to the wall.
this worked in the 80's

>/sci/
>not a bunch of retarded xerox machines

kek'd and checked

im pretty sure by the time you realized a nuclear blast was happening you wouldn't have time to find your ditch/hole

>Japanese
>Gives opinion on surviving nuclear blast

Yes, you can. It would have to be a pretty sturdy ditch though and you're better off just making a bunker like everyone else.

PHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

First hand experience?

It's relatively easy to break up shockwaves and overpressure. Look it up.
This has not a lot in common with thermodynamics, it's more aerodynamics here.

Presumably the pic is just an idiot's scribble, being in a trench would protect you from the flash burn and prevent you from being thrown or dismembered by the shockwave or having your organs burst.
But if you are close enough the shockwave or fireball will still kill you.
Somebody very close to the hypocenter at Hiroshima survived because they were inside a bank vault when the bomb detonated

Ditches would probably be the worst place to be, considering the fallout would quickly settle in them.

kek

That reminds me - imagine a shockwave as more of an expanding sphere than a disc. If you're close to the explosion for the shockwave to come 'down' as it were, then you'd be rattled around your hole like coins in a piggy bank.

tl;dr: human soup in a can

This. You get maximum damage this way.

HAHAHA le epic bantszzz xD

I saw this one movie where a guy survives a nuclear blast by hiding in a fridge.

It depends on a number of different factors - mostly your proximity to the blast, the altitude of the detonation, etc. But in principle, yes.

Despite how much it gets mocked, "Duck and Cover" was and still is sound advice on how best to survive the immediate impact of a nuclear explosion.

Shockwaves, like all wave phenomena, weaken as they diffract around edges and boundaries in their path.

If you're too close to the blast to have enough time to react, you're fucked, but if you've got enough time to realize what's happening, Duck and Cover is your best and simplest reaction. The more you can put between yourself and a blast, the better.

Now... the stuff afterwards like the fallout, that's an entirely different animal. Assuming you survive the initial blast, your first response afterwards should be to get as far away from ground zero as possible, preferably upwind.

I don't bloody think second law of thermodynamics allows it.

If you're that close, you'll just be incinerated, even if the shockwave doesn't kill you.

To actually survive, you'd need to be in an enclosed space to survive both the heat and the shockwave.

That's the only way really. If you don't have enough material between you and the burst the X-rays will basically vaporize your bones into a plasma that expands outward at a high fraction of C before you ever knew what happened.

Kek'd hard at this.

Oppenheimer? Is that you?

youtube.com/watch?v=9nvTd5mNRz0

Checked.

yeah? who the fuck is dumb enough to use nukes in this day and age anyway

yes.

read "how me and my ditch survived nuclear war" l ron hubbard.

youtube.com/watch?v=jcoMi5AUjug

Blastwave you'd likely survive. Biggest concern would be the things that would fall into your hole going 100s of km an hour

>If you don't have enough material between you and the burst the X-rays will basically vaporize your bones into a plasma that expands outward at a high fraction of C before you ever knew what happened
What the fuck do you think an X-ray is?

>aug 6 first blast
>aug 9 not one defensive ditch

Fucking japs man... thought you guys were smart...

Maybe. Ground bursts are effective when you also want area denial such as airfields or major thorough ways and in a tactical nuclear war would be often used as such, although air bursts are more effective for pure destructive power.

Each has a use.

No gamma and X rays will kill you

>I saw this one movie where a guy survives a nuclear blast by hiding in a fridge.

>Indiana Jones
>"this one movie"

seriously nigger?

Nah because the shock wave isn't just traveling horizontally.
It would probably be as effective as hiding behind a wall.

If the hole was deep enough, yeah.

They made a couple games about it, actually.

What do YOU think it is? Don't ever respond to my post again fuccboi.

HAAHAHAHAHAHA 10/10 yip

>gamma and X can't penetrate heavy elements
>Surface rocks are made of heavy elements

India, Pakistan, China, Russia, US, Israel, Best Korea, Japan, France, the U.K., etc.

You think people make these weapons for show? The only reason we have not yet is due to MAD, but that assumes rational actors, and lately rationality seems to be a fading memory.

your eyes and ears would be bleeding because of pressure, but you'd live

He's talking about being right inside the fireball, which can actually touch down even in airbursts if the yield is high enough and altitude low enough.

Pic related:
>"Rope tricks" are seen in this image of a nuclear explosion taken less than one millisecond after detonation. During operation Tumbler-Snapper in 1952, this nuclear test device was suspended 300 feet above the Nevada desert floor, and anchored by mooring cables. As the ball of plasma expanded, the radiating energy superheated and vaporized the cables just ahead of the fireball, resulting in the "spike" effects.

Oh I wasn't aware that a thin film of sediment and rock made me invulnerable to high energy particles. Hey guys don't worry Spain's got us. Just smear mud on yourselves when the nukes fall like Arnie in Predator, they'll never see it coming.

It's hard getting information when you only have radio and everyone you were supposed to be receiving information from is dead.
Japs are also known to be about as flexible as steel. That's why they continued banzai charges and kamikaze dives throughout the war.

You also have to remember that Japan was still decades behind the west even in their most advanced cities. Most of their country was and still is rural farmland.

Depending on the impact type you may find the shock waves of the impact literally rippling the ground may end up bouncing you well out of that hole. Imagine dying because you feel to death while hiding in your hole.

You look at detonations over a Mt and shit gets all sorts of ugly any way you put it.

What happens if we launch a nuclear weapon into a tornado and detonate it?

Would it break up the tornado?

(posting from my comfy fort)

You're too close which is good and bad, basically you wouldn't survive but it would be fast.

Being far enough to not die instantly is the worst fate though.

assuming you knew where the bomb would fall, shouldnt you dig the wall closest to the blast at an angle perpendicular to where the blast will occur, and the opposing wall at an angle and lower than the front wall?

if its higher, youll catch some blast, if its lower, youll catch less blast, if any, but the angle will also help deflect

Nuclear hellfire tornado.

Throw in piranha fish and it's all fucking over. This is science FACT!

What about if the ditch was at the end of an inclined ledge?

If your chest is in direct contact with the ground, the shockwave can stop your heart. You need to have at least one arm underneath you.

Beautiful

> flash travels at the speed of light
> shovkwave travels at the speed of sound

Learn 2 physics. Jump in the ditch if you see or sense the flash. You've probably already been killed by the radiation, but there's always a chance you might survive, or at least do something useful during your "walking ghost" period so you'll be remembered by somebody that survives. You'll be too broken to do more than moan and take up space if you get hit by the shock.

I read about this in a survival book. This is true but of course you need to take care of water and you need to keep the top covered by some shit and you can't leave for like a week or something which means you'll be very uncomfortable.

nukes are almost always detonated in the air in non-test situations because air detonation results in far greater destruction due to the heat from the fireball being able to reach everywhere (same for the shockwave).

a nuclear fireball is hotter than the core of the sun, anything near it will be completely incinerated with a giant crater below ground zero. the radiation alone would turn you into swiss cheese. you would simply vanish unless you were hundreds of meters underground and not directly near the fireball. the shockwaves are so powerful they will actually reflect off any obstacles and move backwards (all nukes explode as spheres which look like mini-suns but they get squashed into a mushroom shape by the rebounding shockwave from the ground).

webm related, you can actually see the shockwave reflect.

That's not at all what he's describing, he said something like X-rays microwaving your bones into relativistic plasma that blows you up from the inside. Total nonsense.

Being "inside" the fireball is just being completely annihilated by levels of heat and pressure only matched by stars.

It would probably suck the air out of your lungs and suffocate you.

Read the book "Hiroshima." People survived while out in the open.

I have an old book from the 50s about nuclear war. I found it funny that the book suggest using magazines to block out radiation lol.

>shovkwave travels at the speed of sound
>Learn 2 physics
wew lad
I need to get out of this thread before I get triggered into a stroke

Anybody can survive a blast like this...

youtube.com/watch?v=xx2MRo3M3Fs

They used lead in ink back then, so that's not an entirely foolish idea

Pretty much anything between you and the radiation will be better than nothing.

Wow, literally first thing that came to my mind as well haha

Just somehow find a way to get above ground against the shockwave like on a hill or something and you'll be fine

This thread is evidence that JIDF and others successfully infiltrated this board.

FFS, when was the last time you saw a redpill thread?! When I started lurking Cred Forums a couple of years ago, there were always at least ten different daily redpill threads helping the goyim learn about the Jews, the Synagogue of Satan, Zionism, globalists, White genocide, Frankfurt School, cultural Marxism, communism, black crime, race & IQ, etc.

Cred Forums has been infiltrated and we're losing...this thread is one more example.

We need to do three things:

1) repost this text
2) report thread
3) create more redpill threads

If you were that close you're going to die anyway but the high energy particles/thermal radiation are going to vaporize your body before the shockwave even hits you.

How would sufficient levels of radiation cause immediate death?

I know that radiation fucks up DNA, cell processes and leads to organs failing, but how could a sufficiently large exposure to radiation cause immediate death?

Wouldn't the shockwave just travel up the hill?

Immediate cellular death, across the entire body.

It means you're dead.

You would probably survive the blast only to essentially melt from severe radiation poisoning.
Really if a bomb is falling near you, better to get close and get vaporized. I'd probably try to survive anyway but realistically there is no way.

>sufficiently large
Retard

Fair point. What I was trying to recall wasn't the rope tricks it was the irregular shapes in the fireball you can see. They are caused by the streams of plasma that are the ex bomb casing and components, being adjacent to the reacting fuel these really were heated and propelled out by by x-rays.

abomb1.org/nukeffct/enw77b3.html
>2.110 As seen above, most of the initial (or primary) thermal radiation from a nuclear explosion is in the soft X-ray region of the spectrum. If the burst occurs in the lower part of the atmosphere where the air density is appreciable, the X rays are absorbed in the immediate vicinity of the burst, and they heat the air to high temperatures. This sphere of hot air is sometimes referred to as the "X-ray fireball." The volume of air involved, resultant air temperatures and ensuing behavior of this fireball are all determined by the burst conditions. At moderate and low altitudes (below about 100,000 feet), the X rays are absorbed within some yards of the burst point, and the relatively small volume of air involved is heated to a very high temperature.

I replied because what he says is sort of legit although exaggerated in that you'd pretty much have to be sitting on the bomb.

It should be mentioned that a huge portion of the casualties of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki were due to subsequent radiological exposure.

Nuclear wasn't even part of the public vocabulary at the time. So there was no procedures in place for dealing with a radiological catastrophe of any level.... let alone the largest one to ever occur.

By the time the Chernobyl event happened, procedures did exist. And as a result Chernobyl had relatively few casualties compared to the scale of the contamination.

When it comes fo nuclear blasts japan knows best

Just hide under school desk and youll be fine.

Explain.

Everything I've read says that the cellular death and interruption to biological processes occurs over the course of, at the very least, a number of hours. Even if the radiation amount was say 100,000,000x the lethal dosage of gamma rays, would this cause IMMEDIATE death and total breakdown of all cells in a person's body? It would be like something in a movie.

Can I survive a nuclear blast 200 miles away by sitting upstairs in my bedroom at my computer?

Hiroshima was a comparatively low yield bomb, measured in kilotons. The H-bombs of the fifties are in megatons

That's a retarded question.

The Tsar Bomba had a blast radius of 22 miles, but still caused major structural failures in a village 34 miles away.

That was an absurd propaganda bomb that caused so much trouble for the soviets they were like "never again." with bombs that size.

These days you are looking at the main threat in nuclear war of being ICBMs that have 100-500kt MIRV bundles. (i.e. clusters of smaller nukes).

That will essentially be guided towards military and major civilian infrastructure weak spots. Power plants, Air fields, etc.

With the level of urban sprawl you have these days, you could be on the outskirts of a city that has been targeted by nukes and probably survive and be fine if you avoid direct contact with fallout.

A lethal dose is like each of your cells getting stabbed in the gut and bleeding out.
A million times lethal dose is like each of your cells standing in front of a German machine gun nest and eating a full belt from an MG-42

A billion times lethal dose is just your cells getting vaporized

Today I've learned that nuclear bombs don't have to impact against the ground to detonate.
Interesting.

They were impractical propaganda weapons that aren't practically deliverable in any sense of the word.

Actual warheads that are intended for tactical use measure in the kilotons.

>That's a retarded question.
I know, I was shitposting. You're a leaf, you should be familiar with the concept.

Theoretically if you're close enough to receive such a stupid dose of radiation it could kill you instantly. There are some tales of workers that died instantly by acute radiation poisoning.

But basically if enough high energy particles hit your body at a high enough rate they're going to react with perfectly functional chemicals in your body, impairing them, and producing unexpected products. Also, most of the energy absorbed by you body will end up as heat in a matter of minutes or seconds depending on the dose rate.

With high enough radiation you'll basically be cooked instantly.

Like a... bunker?

>high energy particles
High-energy radiation does not "vaporize" you.
Low-energy radiation, like infrared and visible light, heats you because it's low-energy enough to be blocked your body and disperse itself on you.
High-energy radiation particles are atom-sized bullets that shoot holes into your DNA. You start dying when your cells fail to replace themselves properly.

Anything putting out enough radiation to do that would have already killed you from the heat it's putting out.
The closest practical example of what you're looking for is the Elephant's Foot.

It was more meant for the retards out there who actually will take your question seriously.

(((They))) would like people to believe that a nuclear war would be completely hopeless so that nobody tries to survive.

But that's just patently false.

(((Carl Sagan))) was the retard behind the whole "nuclear winter" thing. And his paper got BTFO in peer review.

>I've taken Intro to C++ and Physics 101

Yeah airburst is what is usually done. I don't know exactly what the benefits are.

Then just make all sides inclined. Voila, you're the safest that can be.

Shock waves are generated by waves moving faster than the local speed of sound (in the case of nukes, the expanding cloud of subatomic particles moving at the speed of light). Shockwaves do not move faster than the speed of sound themselves, in fact the whole reason they occur is because something moved faster than the atmosphere could handle, so if the shockwave itself moved faster than sound, it would create shockwaves itself, and the end result would be the entire Earth's atmosphere eventually being shocked apart by the self-replicating shockwave of the first object that moved faster than the speed of sound.

>megaton warheads
>not practically deliverable
Literally every kind of non-aircraft nuclear delivery system in service of the major powers today involves multiple megaton-level warheads packed into a missile.

>nuclear weapons
>tactical use

We did learn this in the military.
There's a big chance it's just a meme and they are fucking with us.

hot air rises
so yes

Nah its better to take the hit. Youll have a blessed afterlife. Thanks to mother nature and Gods perfect formula for humans.

Less fallout, more likely to kill with the direct blast. Remember, only fanatics want to permanently destroy everything with "dirty bombs," and neither Russia nor America wanted to permanently destroy the other's farmland.

I'll have you know it was Intro to Java.

Not if it's in the blast zone

What the fuck are you going to breath?

>as well

He's in a well

Well played sir

kek?

Very yes.

A foxhole with 18 inches of overhead cover stops almost anything that isn't a direct hit.

ditches/trenches/foxholes are better than walls because walls are much thinner and can be knocked over.

10/10 top kek

Ground bursts are to fuck shit up that's underground, airbursts for everything else. Creates a phenomenon where the waves combine into mach stem and run along the ground.

>Also, most of the energy absorbed by you body will end up as heat in a matter of minutes or seconds depending on the dose rate.

Anyone else here love how unrelentingly metal this whole field is? Literally our baby steps at manipulating the fabric of the universe and the results are often orders of magnitude beyond what we can physically deal with.

A mistake can permanently shred your intrinsic biological coding or even turn you into super-heated plasma.

youtube.com/watch?v=yk3-XUe0oEU#t=10m00s

Just deactivate the atoms

Gambled on the link working, skip to 10:00

I don't know why I ever imagined this thread would be different than any other time there's a science question thread on Cred Forums

49% of the blast radiates uselessly into space no matter what.
With a groundburst almost half of the energy gets dumped into the dirt and absorbed.
With the air burst, 30% of the blast has a direct line of sight with the target area.
Much more energy hits the whole city, but the crater in the middle isn't as deep.

Groundburst makes much much much more fallout too

regular bombs don't have to detonate against the ground either.

Proximity fuse

Japan on point today.

I guess you'd have the most practical experience.

>multiple megaton
brookings.edu/articles/50-facts-about-u-s-nuclear-weapons-today/

Largest currently stockpiled by the US is 1.2. That's the largest. That's also "multiple" only in the most autistic sense of the word.

You are wrong. you are a retard. Kill yourself. Don't hesitate just fucking do it.

Jfc I laughed really hard

>Can you survive a nuclear blast by hiding in a ditch?
Just duck and cover
youtube.com/watch?v=L_tKAg5KIuQ
Shit is pretty easy

Simply incorrect. But the drawings were lulzy.

Australias got some competition.

Nope, Air moving over a ditch creates a pressure differential vaccum that would actually rip you out of the ditch and fling you into the air.

That's how planes fly its called lift, you learned it in first grade, remember air above the wing is moving faster than air below it?

So can someone answer how to survive a nuke that's gonna land somewhere in your city?

Now you can survive

Stop, drop and roll

Find the nearest desk

Best of luck to you lad

Your entire post might as well be pic related, I didn't think it was possible

I live on a coastal city so my best bet would be to jump in the sea right?

go into your basement. Provided you're down far enough and far enough away from the blast zone you'll be fine.

the bonus is that you'll also avoid a hefty chunk of the radiation too

Someone in Hiroshima did survive in a similar fashion, jumped into a pond or river just as the bomb went off

fuck off faggot, shockwaves are chemtrails made by lizard people

No

You maybe thrown by the blast but it won't be from "aerodynamic lift" if you're lying face down in a ditch

I own a boat so i think i'll just sail into the ocean and try my luck living of fish and distilled salt water.

Chuckled

Oh shoot, I think we had these charts in our radiology notes in one of my vet tech classes.

Sure, you have diving gear? You have getaway sub for emergencies? That last one would be a great option to have as well.

this is the same kind of retardation that led to people believing a ufo destroyed the SpaceX rocket

Japan has the best posts

Does lying down save you from being ejected from a spacecraft that is explosively decompressing?

Nope.

Yeah I live on the ocean, and I have a slide off my back deck that goes into the water for just this purpose.

>explosively decompressing

Keyword. 2mi away from Hiroshima it was like 2psi.

Can anyone explain why thousands of nukes have been tested but a few dozen falling on some major cities would be armageddon?

Hippies are retarded, news at 11.

l o l

Get into the tube ASAP

thousands of nukes going off over decades of testing.

not thousands going off in the a day.
there is quite a difference.

Byford dolphin explosively decompressed from 9 atmospheres to 1 and the only guy who was thrown out was the guy standing in front of the hatch.
The guys lying in their bunks just exploded where they were but they didn't fly out.
you can find pics of the guy who flew out, they sort of reassembled him after they found all the parts and got his spine off the roof and pulled his splintered long bones out of the corpse of the guy who opened the hatch

That's a good idea would probably be crowded with muslims tho.

nice

Your version of Metro sounds like a fun experience :^)

Yeah that story is horrifying. Was considering a career in underwater welding.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byford_Dolphin

>different than any other time there's a science question thread on Cred Forums
/pol has some of the best and brightest minds, the space elevator threads were great
>pic related

he's right except
>surface rocks aren't made of heavy metals
>gamma rays can penetrate everything, a foot of concrete only like halves the ionization
well, ok he's wrong

Plot twist: All the Muslims are wired with explosives.

was going to make a joke about a Timex commercial but then noticed that the watch exploded too

Submit to Allah

But a bunch of them did. Tons of them died in the following days because of radiation sickness and the like, but they survived the actual blast

>not thousands going off in the a day.

That also wasn't what I said, you dumb cunt, nor is it realistic. India vs Pakistan is the most likely scenario IMO.

Good shit user.

Here is booty for your efforts.

Depends how oblique the angle is, if you're in a deeper trench and the airburst isn't so high there could be a lot of dirt between you and the gamma radiator.
but yeah you're probably fucked

Dammit Japan you win this round.

kek

The blast from Fat Man (21kt) could be felt 1200 miles away, survivor accounts claim they felt like they were being cooked in an oven after they were blown across the room by the blast wave.

The field tests of nuclear weapons I saw some British soldiers claiming they could see their own bones due to the X-Rays being blasted at them from our bomb tests. The families are still suing the government over it or something because of cancer.

>Shock waves are generated by waves moving faster than the local speed of sound
yes
>(in the case of nukes, the expanding cloud of subatomic particles moving at the speed of light)
Nooooooooooooooo

Relativistic particles generated by the blast experience almost no interaction with the air and simply zip out in all directions until they get absorbed by some heavy material. The shockwave is caused by the rapid heating of air molecules in the vicinity of the blast. The air expands rapidly, exceeding the speed of sound in the surrounding area, which collapses the expanding gas into a shock front.

Along the discontinuity of the shock wave, there exist massive temperature and pressure gradients that cause substantial damage in their wake.

>India vs Pakistan is the most likely scenario IMO
Like anyone would even notice, unless you had a geiger counter handy

Oh Christ. Depending on distance yes.

Here you go, you historically-illiterate philistine:
youtube.com/watch?v=ZWSMoE3A5DI

/sci/ is just college students who think they know everything.

P.S. the ranges on these tests depicted were 6000-10000 yards.

those were not the players when the scare was on.
it was Russia and the US.
you asked why people are afraid of it. this is what they are afraid of happening. not so much a fight between 2 small time counties. it is not like they have tsar bomba.

Because putting a nuke on a city is a waste of a nuke.

Nukes will go into two categories, a) Strategic and b) Tactical.

An example of strategic nuke target is power stations, nuke silos, etc.

An example of a tactical nuke target is a US carrier group.

>you asked why people are afraid of it

No, I didn't. Are you incapable of actually comprehending what you're reading?

>[shockwaves generated by] the expanding cloud of subatomic particles moving at the speed of light

Oh god, there is just so much wrong in that sentence

I don't think the world is that small.

Economic targets in a total war scenario though. Places like Port Authur, TX would see a few nukes thrown their way for sure.

Nah, it depends. See pic.

FPBP

it would take like 9 nukes to wipe out the US eastern sea board
so probably no

Curious I see it in most nuclear detonations but what are the small lines that are next to the plume? Heated ground debris blown upwards that isn't part of the main column?

Why are they always so pretty?

If you want some good laughs go make a thread asking them to explain lift over an airfoil

depends how close. enough pressure, ditch or not, will squash you like a grape.

Which would tie into strategic assets, just lower on the totem pole than power grids and places your enemy has their nukes.
Nuclear target maps are basically works of fiction, I would not take them at face value. That one in particular IIRC is taken largely from a FEMA publication that listed a bunch of "possible" targets. This has somehow been twisted to mean "likely" and ignores the reality that the FEMA map just showed targets, not the number of warheads aimed at a location.

Hillary.

Idaho confirmed most irrelevant state, and safest state.

Sounding rockets fired vertically at equal intervals.

By observing the footage of when the trails of the rockets are disrupted, they can measure the speed of the shockwave.

By measuring the shock speed it's possible to estimate the explosive energy of the blast, and determine the efficiency of the bomb.

Nice find, do you know what was the blast yield of the bomb in the vid?

>many factors
>japan

There are nuke silos in Idaho, no?

Depends on distance and depth. Although even then enough dust could be kicked up that you are buried alive and the initial radiation blast will scar you for what little of your life remains.

Really? Interesting, cheers.

>Now boys what we are gonna need you to do is sit in these holes while we test this nuke over here.
>oh and we will need you to walk towards the mushroom cloud after the shockwave hits

Lol.

But depends. The shockwave isn't as bad as the "heat burst"

First thing is they don't detonate nuclear weapons on the ground. Usually 2000- 10,000 feet up. The reasons are why the ground absorbs to much of the blast and you damage more area with the infrared burst

Blah blah

You could survive but you'd get burned horrible and eventually die

>Not concerning fallout/heat, just the initial shockwave

Sure if you survive the over-pressure / under-pressure resulting in your lungs collapsing from the air/oxygen literally being pulled out of them etc etc

tl;dr highly unlikely

Lot of factors go in to it. Height of burst, warhead yield, distance from burst. I think it only takes 2 - 4 psi overpressure to kill a person. So even if you're shielded fom the direct effects (near speed of sound shock wave) of the blast the static overpressure can blow out your eardrums, collapse your lungs, so forth.

Remember kids, further away is better for you.

The trainer literally ordered them to look at the blast after first light, obviously wanting to examine the damage it can do to eyes.

youtube.com/watch?v=LU3AMfAUD4U

Every time.

>you would know.

In fact they are most effective when detonated 100-200 meters above the ground. On the ground level you just dumping bunch of energy into soil, creating big ass crater.

>Despite how much it gets mocked, "Duck and Cover" was and still is sound advice on how best to survive the immediate impact of a nuclear explosion.

The mockery of duck and cover is a prime example of Jewish subversion at play.

>Here's a way to increase your odds of surviving the Apocalypse.
>LOL YOU THINK HIDING BENEATH A PICNIC BLANKET WILL PROTECT YOU FROM A NUKE HAHA THE MAN IS STUPID FUCK AMERICA THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT US LOL DRUMPF!

Yes, there was some Japanese guy that survived both nukes by taking cover in a road ditch.

youtube.com/watch?v=1_GUwklvWJ0

This is the debriefing/'educational' 1955 desert rock video. 6:30 is when the briefing starts.

this is how mammals survived the killer asteroid. although the earth got covered in a fire storm, thr temp more than 5 cm below ground stays the same due to dirt being a good insulator. you def would not survive an open trench due to the heat.

>no goyim really duck and cover will help you survive the new that is going off just a few blocks away

If nukes are apparently hotter than the core of the sun, why doesn't it just instantly incinerate it's way through to the Earth's core?

Checkmate, "scientists".

If that's the 1951 tests it's probably between 15 to 30 kilotons

I already had a laugh by trying to start a discussion on synthesizing crude oil.

those kids are fucking clueless.

>if this bullet is going fast enough to kill someone why doesn't it kill everyone on the planet

Include me in the cap senpai
Japanese American here, can confirm this mofo knows what he's talking about

Faggot burger can't physics

Average yield of all tests done with soldiers and/or Marines present in the 1950s was 8.6 kilotons.

Highest test was 40kt at 6 miles.

ctbto.org/nuclear-testing/the-effects-of-nuclear-testing/the-united-states-nuclear-testing-programme/

Because it needs a sustained reaction to keep on burning so it can burn through the surface of the Earth.

Idiot.

Obligatory

kys

>getting boiled alive

>radiation
>a non issue
>not important to the ground troops

2/2

if your not in the basement when the nuke goes off your still going to be hit with the ionizing radiation.

Well, here's a question for you: would you still hear the explosion if you were hiding in a ditch? ... See? It wasn't that hard to figure out on your own. (Although there's obviously gonna be some small interval of distances where the shockwave entering your ditch would be dampened just enough to make it survivable)

to be fair almost everybody misunderstands how airfoils work

Obviously it won't.
It wouldn't matter though because if a nuke detonated a block away from you'd be vaporized instantly so the advice isn't for you.

The advice is for people actually far enough that damage mitigation could save them, but hey fuck them right? Better the goyim not practice any proactive defenses against nuclear annihilation and instead slip into apathetic depression so the Soviets can operate unopposed because "better Red than dead lol".

"city busting" nukes no longer exist but they definitely did back in the cold war. both the USA and the USSR had deployable 25 megaton hydrogen bombs. that's 25x bigger than the most powerful nuke today.

the fireball of a 25 megaton nuke alone would be so large and hot that it would burn all of your skin layers at a distance of 50 km (~31 miles) from ground zero. they never tested the 25 megaton nukes but there is footage of a 15 megaton one (see webm).

No.

>effective when detonated 100-200 meters above the ground.
Depends on the psi effect you want to maximize.

Thats Buster-Jangle, Dog Shot. 21 Kt airburst.

Simply brush you down with a straw broom :^)

fixed the problem for you OP

an x-ray is a high energy, low frequency photon

>tfw wrong image

Unless you're talking just bombs, the russian heavy-lifting icbms (R-36, RS-28) can be equipped with a single ~20 megaton range warhead.

If you are close enough to be hit with prompt radiation, you are going to be killed in a few moments by blast effects.

needs more dilemmas

Wish they'd hit me with one of those so I definitely don't survive.

>he said something like X-rays microwaving your bones into relativistic plasma that blows you up from the inside.
If you are standing next to one when it goes off, thats the probable mechanism of your death.
It would happen before the explosion had even breached the bomb case.

Not any more they aren't.

this shit is gold.
>you all have look at the sun some time in your lives
>they all look at the sun

This doesn't tell me anything; sound waves experience diffraction, hence they can be heard around corners

What would happen if you used NATOs atom deactivator just before the exploding atoms hit you?

well he knew he wasn't gonna get any of that data from japan.

Are you lost?

uhhhhhhh can i survive a bottom floor studio apartment made out concrete

From what I've been told I always thought that the radiation from Airbursts is rather negligible. Though this was from my military training so its likely bullshit. Never really cared either way as i figured if a bomb was used we were all fucked anyway.

Fallout from airbursts in negligible.

>It would happen before the explosion had even breached the bomb case.
wat

>Include me in the cap senpai
would you retards please stop saying this

please respond

you mean a basement?

Thats some nice numbers. And yeah being blind and having all the skin peeling off of you sounds like a bad fate

Depends how far away you are from the blast, how much shit is between you and the bomb (buildings and mountains/ hills), and how structurally sound the building is. You could be simply crushed to death as the building collapses on top of you from the force of the blast.

1m of lead shielding =/= some dirt with pebbles thrown in.

>This doesn't tell me anything; sound waves experience diffraction
That's some burger-tier shit right there... Guess what? Shockwaves also experience diffraction. All waves experience diffraction. But here's the kicker: the sound wave from an explosion literally is the shock wave. :|

As the primary fissions, it would release huge amounts of x-rays. Some of these xrays would be used to ignite the secondary, but a lot would travel thought the case, and out into you, where the calcium in your bones would absorb it.
There would be so much energy from these going into your bones that they would become incandescent.

All this would happen so quickly that the shockwave from the exploding primary would not have even breached the bomb case.

Yeah unless you were ya know, not direct near it.

There are ranges at which things like ditches and even covering yourself with a blanket will be effective.

If you are close enough to worry about prompt radiation, then the ditch wont save you anyway.

>Not concerning heat
Kek. Then your qustion is useless.

well, the roof is also really hard concrete its an old building from the 1960s an old style studio. ,maybe older.

>yfw when the instructor teaching you about radiation pauses for a second so he can remember how to spell the word

Okay that makes sense.

Reminder. Hiroshima was a pussy 15kt nuclear warhead. At distances of 500m you'd be vaporized but over a mile, you'd have a 90% chance of surviving. It wasn't the blast that killed a lot of people, it was the radiation.

You'd probably survive in your little foxhole but the radiation would ultimately get you if you were semi-close.

vault 111
a
u
l
t

That was kinda my original point.

>implying shockwave is 2D
>implying would not die from exposure and starvation
>implying this is /k/

SAGE

This are the kind of things that makes me love Cred Forums
I hope the board never dies.

I wonder does Russia still have a Tzar Bomb or has Israel purchased them during the fall of the SU?

Jesus fucking Christ

To illustrate, the green radius is the 90% fatality radius for prompt radiation. The red one is the 20 PSI blast zone, where not even concrete commercial buildings would survive.

The grey circle is the 5 psi ring, where residential structures would collapse.

As you can see, if you are close enough to worry about prompt radiation, then you have other issues that will kill you first.

What uniform is that?

well, obama and putin agreed both to nuclear disarming of most atom bombs so maybe they do but who knows what kind of bombs we have now. I bet we have top of the line technology

i remember that thread

>shut down atoms

The Soviets didnt have any in service when they collapsed.

Even if they did, Israel would have no way to deliver them.

Yes you can. in fallout 4 the blast geos over your head as you are lowered into the vault and everyone is fine.

so true

I think Tsar Bomba is overrated. At 50MT, you are hurting the environment more then anything else. When they detonated the first Tsar Bomba on that northern peninsula, it destroyed house windows in Finland hundreds of miles away and if the winds are strong enough, they could have carried that radiation into Europe. And that was the 50MT version. The 100MT version will create earthquakes felt around the globe.

You need a small, portable 10MT bomb if you wanna wage nuclear warfare not some heavy ass doomsday bomb that will destroy the entire planet.

If you can see the blast, you're probably blind and or dead.

...look up our launch system. it has been leaked alot.
we use floppies still.
im talking big ass ones. like we have not upgraded that shit since the 70s.

Not true at all

There are very good reasons for that.

>some heavy ass doomsday bomb that will destroy the entire planet.
That was the fucking point.

You know to make it clear that you won't be winning a nuclear war anytime soon.

that is things available to the public. Also ill give it a look.

Most of the energetic payload is radiation, which travels at near light speed.

Only if you're an arch

Shock wave =/= Sound wave

>As you can see, if you are close enough to worry about prompt radiation, then you have other issues that will kill you first.

>first

The prompt radiation would kill you first and then your remains would be scattered/destroyed by what followed correct?

shhh

you are better off hiding in an old school steel refrigerator

You can be far enough away to see the blast and not be killed by it.
Or blinded.

:/ imagine a grenade throwing atomic shrapnel. If you are close enough they wont just do several holes enough to kill you soon, they'll shotgun you to death right there. Plus getting cooked and crushed by the rest of the explosion.

I'm immune to soundwaves.
>ear protection
>get on my level

>The prompt radiation would kill you first and then your remains would be scattered/destroyed by what followed correct?
Probably not.
You could be close enough that the prompt radiation would kill every cell in your body in an instant, but that is probably close enough that the expanding cloud of plasma that was your bones would have done the job first.

Further away, you might receive a lethal dose that would kill you in seconds to minutes, but the thermal effects and blast effects would combine to kill you before that happened.

And if you're that far away you don't have to worry about the shockwave. So a ditch still doesn't help you.

Reserving my spot in the screen cap

It's not the blast that kills you... you only have to worry about radiation poisoning if you find a way to get yourself out of a 1000 ton burial.

topkek

>And if you're that far away you don't have to worry about the shockwave. So a ditch still doesn't help you.
This is incorrect.

See this pic: Even if you are outside the grey circle (5 psi), you still can be killed or injured from blast effects. Being in a ditch at these distances would give you some protection from this, while still being far enough away that thermal and radiation effects are not a significant risk.

Meditate in a group to release a forcefield.

So they are shit at their main topic like all the boards then?

No

Dig a ditch yes, but dig it under a vehicle, and don't just toss the dirt anywhere; build a thick low wall to cover the gap all the way around the vehicle.