Alright pol. Elon is gonna send people to mars. A martian colony is looking very possible in our near future...

Alright pol. Elon is gonna send people to mars. A martian colony is looking very possible in our near future. The question is: after the colony has been running for say 10-20 years, what sort of society can we expect to see?

Questions for discussion:
>what economy will we see develop
>what influences will Earth have on Mars
>will mars become independent or stay ruled by Earth companies
>what sort of government if any will be there

Honestly I'm very excited for the future!

Other urls found in this thread:

nationalreview.com/article/418115/social-justice-warriors-are-worrying-about-white-male-privilege-mars-katherine-timpf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_revolution
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>inb4 mandatory diversity quotas for Mars

OP here, now on PC

Personally I felt in Elon's speech he seemed to be very in favor of a more free market society IE the pizza joints etc.

I would hate for the bloat and corruption of the old world to infect Mars given that it's a new chance for Humanity.

First attempt will be a total clusterfuck and everyone will die.

Then they will correct for mistakes and 2nd attempt will be there to stay.

I don't expect any mars colonies for another 25 years. But well maby have sent some people there in the next 10.

Any people who lands on mars will be stuck there. No-one is gonna pay the ridiculously expensive return-ticket back home.
This also goes for basically any valuable minerals that is dug up on mars. Apart from video streaming and useful data, nothing will leave mars.(at least not until space technology gets really fucking far and cheap)

I went to Burning Man.

What do you mean exactly? The first trip SpaceX sends for Mars to establish the colony? Like the ship blowing up or the initial colony just dying off after 1 trip? Or Even after many trips the colony collapsing anyway?

>Martian internet finally comes
>Very minimal, but noticeable lag to connect to Earthians.
>Mars vs. Earth meme wars
>We have aliens, y'all have a frog
Feels good desu.

What's happening here?

Well by nature being a colonist is a one way ticket. People didnt settle the New World or the Frontier expecting to go back. They went there to establish a colony and furthermore a settlement.

Did you watch the video? Mars' low gravity allows single stage rockets rather than using the expensive as fuck boosters it takes here on Earth. Mars has to be profitable so I assume the companies will find a way to make it so.

I imagine Marsnet will be very localized for some time. Connection to Earth internet will be very difficult and only accessible to some individuals and not the whole colony, or maybe I'm wrong.

>inb4 mandatory diversity quotas for Mars
They are already working on it since GG and shirtgate.

nationalreview.com/article/418115/social-justice-warriors-are-worrying-about-white-male-privilege-mars-katherine-timpf

Seems pretty pie in the sky to me. I mean I like where his heart is at and he's got the right idea for the future of humanity, but he's incredibly optimistic to the point of insanity.

AI/robotics should set up infrastructure long before humans ever decide to make any permanent presence off world, and it needs to start with the moon.

No, no please. No. Why. Why does this age of technological advancement have to also be the age of SJWs. I swear to god if they fuck up Mars Humanity is doomed. Might as well kill yourself if they get a foothold on the red planet.

>“To paraphrase Douglas Adams: ‘Space is white. You just won’t believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly white it is.’ It’s also very male and European,” Robbins writes.
Only if stupidity would hurt.

I'm looking forward to a Martian colony thanks to based Elon.

Hopefully a resource-based economy.

Hopefully just the trading of goods.

>>will mars become independent or stay ruled by Earth companies

Hopefully Mars will declare independence.

Hopefully a meritocratic minarchist government.

>Honestly I'm very excited for the future!

I'm honestly very excited for the future too. First we should terraform Mars, then we should terraform Venus. Then we should create domed cities under the thick ice of Europa. Then we should create floating cities in the atmospheres of Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.

Tesla = Jew Scam
Musk = Jew Scammer
SpaceX = Jew Scheme
Musk = Jew Schemer

This. We need to completely privatise space-travel to prevent SJWs and their entourage from fucking up Mars. I don't want Muzzies and other scumbags like them shitting up Mars.

Eh, probably an infrastructure will be set up by that time consisting of sat comms, sending packets back and forth from Earth to Mars. You won't be able to browse in the traditional sense because of the obvious lag. But communications will be fine, just a long delay between sending info back and forth.

I think we should work on the Moon before some crazy Mars shit.

Can I get them in my flying car? Faggot.

Plant some nice nice palm trees there to sway in the gentle breeze...

>I think we should work on the Moon before some crazy Mars shit.

Exactly. Sending people to Mars first is a death sentence.

Think of it like the Gemini program before Apollo. Gemini was there to test technologies/techniques for getting to the moon. The same sort of process needs to happen here. We need to test technologies/techniques on the moon first. There are dozens of things that need to be sorted out, and the moon is a prime testbed that's in our backyard, not 20 miles away. WHEN, not IF, something goes wrong they'll be 3 days away rather than a minimum like 7 months away.

Autonomous robotics/AI should pave the way for humans anyway. Cheaper to send them and no risk to life. They set it up, test it out. Then we send humans after everything's secure. Soon AI/robotics will be able to do everything humans can do and more.

>Elon is gonna send people to mars.

No.

He's not.

No one's going to Mars. Just like no one's driving cars that run on hydrogen. Just like no one has a jetpack. Just like we don't have a moon base.

This is science fiction. Screencap this post.

Cred Forums is always right.

Look ma no hands!

Capitalistic
Everything will be influenced by Earth.Maybe after 50 years there will be some culture trends, music,art.
I think it will be like India.
Firstly, it will be controlled by a big company, directly supported by UN
Then under direct rule(with a governor and semi-independant congress).
And finally, it will be independant(maybe become rivals with Earth)
(((democracy)))
The type US have.

Fuck off Achmed. I know space flight is haram.

looks like the pole is vibrating from when they stuck it in to me.

and without air it'd vibrate for a while because the only thing absorbing energy would be the ground.

My captcha was palm trees though lol

Do you honestly think that Elon's Mars colony is going to be some sort of White utopia? Have you SEEN a Tesla or SpaceX video? It's stuffed with lingering shots of successful minorities.

The man is a social and economic libertarian. He's blind to the fact that other races other than whites are extremely racist. He'll happily send a bunch of Indians, blacks and Chinese to Mars, naively thinking that they'll get along with each other.

It's great to see someone as excited as I am. With Mars' low gravity and closeness to the asteroid belt, mining roids is a definite option. A depot on Mars or one of its moons, rockets collecting the ore and dumping it in the depot. Then refining them or sending them to Earth orbit. Beautiful industry.

Mars is shitty anyways, who cares what happens to it. All it is a sandbox to make experiments in it. We will leave it along after 20 years once we are bored with it just like we did with the moon. Didn't we plan for moon colonies as well? At least on the moon you can get a lot more power from the Sun and can travel back to the Earth fairly quickly if you need appendix surgery or something.

Cry a bit more lunartard diversion Kike. We have all of your B-roll. Fantastic cock-up!

Hahahahahahahaha

no.

Will exploding be one of the features?

the flags own momentum and inertia are seen to create the "swing"
remember that lowered gravity means that any object that manages to expel energy, expels it for a longer period of time.

swing a ball on a rope on the moon and it will last 80% longer.

If not dying of cancer will certainly be.

No it doesn't faggot. Fuck off. All of your B-roll are belong to us.

I know I know, Muslims are anti-science. You don't need to tell us all again.

Moon will [must] be turned into a silicon industrial complex, mining silicon and manufacturing majority of solar panel components and sell to other space faring companies (asteroid mining, research sats, Mars).

Silicon and solar arrays in space will having the highest demand of any other material, while its prevalence is pretty high on the moon (20%), that commonality is limited to the moon and possibly rogue asteroids. Mars has little if any silicon and will not thrive until the moon has a silicon plant and launch pad established. Until then, billions will be wasted sending solar arrays from earth.

it does mohammad, I know physics isn't your strong point but things can move even if air isn't around.

Fuck off faggot we have it all including using forced perspective in LEO to give the illusion of being halfway to the moon. F minus drooling mook goober.

You won't be missed Jew,

Life on Mars will be cramped, dirty and complicated. The technically demanding lifestyle will demand that people be very skilled at what they do. They'll have to cross train in many fields and be proficient at it. Food will be sparse enough that it can't be wasted, all resources will be sparse and husbanded. There will be no room for socially divisive nonsense... Life is cramped, we must all get along and respect boundaries, vows and oaths. There will be a greater pressure to conform to group norms, you are a team and you must be an effective member of that team.

Mars will be conservative because it will have to be. There will be no room for the privileges of leftist rhetoric provided to Earthers.

Conform or die, place the group's well being before your own and/or die. Maintain strict discipline, or die.

>terraform Venus

>closeness to the asteroid belt
Yeah, this is very nice, but its very dangerous, because with all of those big amounts of resources, Earth-economy may become like the economy of Spain after the discover of America.
The prices of the goods will skyrocket.
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_revolution

Robotic factory churning out solar panels when?

>still doesn't deny he's Muslim

Holy shit Germany is so far gone...

fucking Musk worshiping autists, we should send you all and that moron Elon to Mars asap.

Cred Forums

the ticket price is 200,000 dollars

if we pool our resources, we could send someone to Mars.

>some things we dreamed half a century ago didn't happened like we thought it would
>that means that won't ever happen too!

When you get laid AKA never.

I've heard it made mention that Musk is planning on opening a Bosley Medical Group on Mars as the primary dream mission objective.

kek
Mars is literally covered in silicon. Silicon is one thing we're not running out of anytime soon.

I ignore lunartardnik shills studiously Sethlehem.

Once a company is there-and-ready to mine asteroids, with explicit purpose of bringing back precious minerals. Short gold, diamond asap. The second any company brings back diamonds and gold to earth, expect prices to plummet obviously.

Poor AND gullible....reads like a winning combination!

co-operative technocracy

>men haven't set on the moon in over 40 years
>but we're going to Mars pretty soon though
lol

Think of all the hotpockets and dragon dildos you'll be able to afford......none.

Man has never been past LEO. The end.

We already fucked up with Earth. We NEED to flood the Mars colony with nazism.
>inb4 I get v& by ICAAN

`
Tesla = Jew Scam
Musk = Jew Scammer
SpaceX = Jew Scheme
Musk = Jew Schemer

Anything is possible.

moon would be much harder to colonize

they will only send scientists and those with a perfect bill of health for the first decade or so i imagine. they and their offspring will not be influenced by media or politics and will probs do very well unless they start sending a bunch of fools over

The "high silica content" rocks found on Mars are not nearly enough for a scaled manufacturing plant. You can extract it, sure, but it will be more efficient in the long run to mine and make silicon-based goods on the moon, and send cargo to Mars.

It's cheaper to build a plant on moon than Mars, there's more silicon on the moon, and moons low gravity make it very easy to send to others (not just Mars).

How triggered are you, Achmed?

If they get a foothold on Mars, that planet really is going to become "Red".

>bare knees kneeling on a concrete road
these are fucking warrior princesses
they will save us all

>moons low gravity make it very easy to send to others

That's one of the reasons I think we should go to Mars first. Develop it as a sort of manufacturing outpost. Sending shit from the lunar surface to anywhere else has a much lower energy cost (once the infrastructure is sufficiently developed).

>Elon is gonna send people to mars

TOP KEK

>A martian colony is looking very possible in our near future

hahahahhahahahahhahahaha dumb murricans actually believe that scammer?

You mean go to the moon first?

>$200.000,- shipping fee
Shit postal service in my humbly honest form of belief.

Not an argument

a fascist cult will take over the colony and cut off ties with earth. They will begin purging undesirables.

The UN will send an aid ship and the colonists will kill all of the crew and sabotage their communications gear.

Then approximately 4 years later a Dragon 696 will land on mars and dump out 4,000 space marines who will genocide the colony and place a nuclear device on the surface before returning to earth.

Yeah sorry. Moon first.

We even have some sweet set pics, Thanks US DoE! 240 meters wide / 54 centimeter thick base slab. Regolith = spun silver mine tailings and cornstarch. Number of humans ever on moon = zero......number of non intact man-hymen fatties here = same.

>US DoE
>using metric

At least you tried.

Boy are you stupid....intelligence of your dimwitted dad but the ferocious masculinity of your slaggy mum. Some fucking winner.

A mars colony would a be a complete failure from the start.

Visualizing things that can't happen is for retards.

I am honestly concerned about all these billionaires thinking people want to live in space. They are smart, so they probably see an angle. Living on Mars would be horrible. You would be confined to a tiny space. Imagine living in the Mohave Desert in a trailer but you have to wear a suit to go outside for only an hour at a time. Who would want to do that? Scientists obviously. Normal people? Only if Earth was a radio active wasteland. Or there was plague. Or first world countries were Africa tier. Mr. Musk seems to be betting that the future on Earth will be fucking horrendous and people will line up to pay their life savings for a ticket out.

>he's still posting

You are preaching to losers who endeavour to have just one pringle crisp and fail every time.

Tbh, it really wouldn't be hard to conquer the colony. If you could get some of the security personnel to help, it shouldn't be extremely hard.

Yfw you learn Elon is a Jew.

lol, let me know how that delusion works out for you.

>Mr. Musk seems to be betting that the future on Earth will be fucking horrendous

It will be with the way shit is going now.

Aren't you late for your appointment to hang yourself ?

The whites last frontier

Posting actual humans instead of your inbred blech polishing fellow travellers shan't work Shmuelly.

>dumb murricans actually believe that scammer?
Yeah, there's a ton of retards here. They've had it too easy their entire lives and they think the rest of the world is just like their own. We need a plague or a war or something.

How come no space travel plans involve building an orbital spaceship platform?

Like a drydock, but in space? Wouldn't a ship built in space have no need for the tons of heavy fuel and separation steps required to get it in orbit?

You could build a ton of those little end vehicles, the landers etc to go between the moon and mars.

>Elon
>jew
No he's not. He's a fucking shyster but he isn't Chosen.

>population of >200 for the first 25 years

The trick would be to allow the colony to grow to JUST THE RIGHT SIZE before seizing power.

If you cut off ties from earth too soon you would be dooming yourself.

Sorry have no time to discuss....I am fueling up my neighbourhood's mini-thorium reactor core. Toodles!

Stop falling for this obvious scammer. Goddamn you people are rubes. This slimeball has literally done nothing but lie, fail, cover up failure with more lies, fail, lie, repeat.

You are just retarded, that's all
Making predictions on cherry picked unrelated facts like "muh jetpack didn't happen".

The smart thing would be to actually disprove Musk plan (which is already elaborated) with scientific arguments, not the state of space exploration since the moon landing which can be explained by political, social motives and a lack of motivation rather than technical difficulties

You think you are smart for being skeptical, have a upboat

We're a short lived species. We make bold technological advances because of this even if it isn't the most efficient or safe way possible because it has the potential to be immensely beneficial in a shorter period of time

To date he has

>revolutionized the electric car
>competed with google on self driving cars
>landed a re-usable space craft on a boat
>sent cargo to the ISS

How, again, is he a scammer? The man is a genius.

>Elon is gonna send people to mars.

No he's not. This cunt is full of shit.

I have no idea why people worship him as some sort of a business god. Every single one of his businesses relies heavily of government incentives.

>self driving cars
>a good thing

yeah ok sure

This looks like France.
Could this be some kind of "Jeanne d'Arc" commemoration gone wrong?

Let the butthurt flow through you, aussie cunt

>not the state of space exploration since the moon landing which can be explained by political, social motives and a lack of motivation rather than technical difficulties
lol

>Elon
>gonna send people to mars
In pieces I presume.

Fuck off Miguel, no one care about truckers

Just because you don't like or trust a given technology does not make said technology a bad thing or not important in the scheme of human development.

Human drivers will be phased out in the next 20 years.

In 10-20 years?
Virtually none. Homegrown food and occasional gibsmedats from Earth.
There's going to be billions worth of equipment on Mars and a handful of people
(((They))) will ensure to seize control if Mars turns out to be viable for human residence.
Technocracy.

This actually makes a lot of sense
MARS WHEN?

If there is a Martian colony in 30 years, and I doubt there actually will be, it will be a very earth-dependent and expensive, fragile, prison-style existence.

Alright, faggots.

How do you solve the water problem? The icecaps on mars most likely don't contain much water and you would need a long time to melt them. Elon, the bright guy, proposed to use nukes. Who's going to give thousands of nukes for that? You'd also need to transport those nukes since they can only reach one continent due fuel limitations.
How do you solve the problem of constant radiation due to LOLNOMAGNETICFIELD? Making the shelters resistant to this constant bombardment would be costly as fuck.

How do you solve low gravity? Low gravity causes severe infertility and malformations in fetuses. Not to mention the crippling effects on people who stay in low gravity places for too long. Going into orbit to achieve earth's gravity would need constant fuel expenditure it also wouldn't be an option since Martians, who were under effects of Martian gravity can't bear the heavy brunt of earth's gravity due to their blood pressure. Even if you make a successful baby, He will grow lanky and weak, completely useless. You'd need constant immigration to this hellhole called the Mars Colony.

And what is the economic point of a Mars Colony? Mars has no valuable resources that we know of. We would need constant supply of water, immigrants and fuel to keep this shithole running. Elon is just a con-artist who wants to bring in more donations from cuckolds like you.

This.

>Never even heard of him until he was on one of the new shit Simpsons episodes that revolved around him
>Honestly thought he was just a meme character and not an actual person
>Talks about all of these incredible things he's going to do
>So far he's tried three of them
>Electric cars which have been around for 60 years so it's not even fair including it
>Driverless cars that are an unmitigated disaster and absolutely no one trusts (except for the kind of people who bought a Prius, but in fairness you could sell them magic beans)
>His Spaceshittle that blew up before it even got off the launch pad and took $250m of Suckerberg's money with it thanks to him having his (((satellite))) on board

He's a fucking fraud and a joke. He has as much legitimacy as your average Cred Forumsack with the only difference being you'll get the truth from a Cred Forums poster.

kys, Elon.

We can't even make long term sustainable biospheres on earth.

All of that shit is for show, because this guy is an old school huckster.

He only competed with Google for attention, his self-driving car is an embarrassing failure of course.

He is lying about the quality of his batteries and how much energy they take to produce.

Landing a """space craft""" on a boat isn't that impressive.

Sending cargo at massive unsustainable cost isn't impressive either.

Face it, you're getting played. You hero is not able to transcend laws of physics, and that is why his fail ideas are always fail. He just wants attention which can be turned into shekels.

Every single one will be white, Russian, and Chinese mix no Japanese because they prefer 2d

Obviously, the first Martian colony won't be like a five-star hotel. But it doesn't have to be. We have to start with baby steps.

Spoiler alert: we will not see colonies on Mars in our lifetime and Elon Musk knows it.

There are a few reasons but two of the most important are besides the logistics of getting a man to Mars which we are still unable to do, is the Martian atmosphere and human physiology. Mars has almost no atmosphere to slow descent, unlike the moon which has some. Landing a craft is as big of a challenge as taking off, we've only been able to land small cargos yet. Not well known is the effects of longterm space travel. Most every astronaut that has been to space developed longterm infirmities who's causes are still unknown, affecting things like bone development and vision. We are very far from Martian colonies, my friends. Further than they want to tell you.

I say all this not because I'm an astronautics professional but because I don't like Elon Musk or internet billionaires in general. They traffic in a lot of vaporware. He made PayPal and sold it out as soon as he could and also a half baked automobile company that promises miracles and rarely delivers unless you're also wealthy. Fuck those guys and stop sucking up the smoke they sell you. Live long and prosper.

Yep.

Musk is the tech equivalent of a slimy used car salesman. He's got big plans for sure, but actually sending men to Mars ain't one of 'em.

Screencap this post. Cred Forums is always right.

>How do you solve the water problem?

nigga there's 15 litres per cubic metre in the soil nevermind the ice caps.

A drydock or any sort of main spaceship hub isn't economically feasible or wise at the moment. There is no space economy yet, no economies of scale, and as such the cost of shipping shit from earth (only option if this is to be built now) would cost hundreds of billions if not a trillion dollars. But this number depends on what you have in mind, but regardless it's too expensive right now.

To succeed at creating a thriving space economy you need:
- many + reliable shipments from earth to bring down costs of earth -> space shipments
- moon silicon manufacturing
- martian methane fuel manufacturing

in that order. This will consequently lead to all around wider opportunities for development of whatever shit you'd think would be necessary in space (stanford torus satellite, drydock, space strip clubs).

>“The last thing we need is to wake up in 50 years and find that a bunch of #gamergate nobheads are running Mars,”

>Earth turns evermore SJW controlled and becomes a massive welfare state only supported by prevelant automation and vast resources stripped from orbital mining.
>Mars becomes a fierce meritocracy due to the isolation and harsh nature of the environment leaving no room for free meals.
>Interplanetary war is inevitable

So...when can we book seats on these colonial transports?

Did you just read The Moon is a Harsh Mistress or something?

>Mars has almost no atmosphere to slow descent, unlike the moon which has some.

You sound like you know what you're talking about. I will trust everything you say.

And how are we going to extract that in large quantities?

Years ago. It's a good book, overlooking the literal deus ex machina

>And how are we going to extract that in large quantities?

Dude use google for fucks sake this is old shit that was figured out decades ago.

Even if you nuked the poles it would take ages to create magnetic field or atmosphere.

They believe that we will genetically modify to adapt them even tho we can't do it right now and won't be able in next 5 years.

What's the point? To make money of course. He is running a businesses after all and mars colonies just sound appealing enough to scam millennials.

There's shitloads (comparatively) of water in martian soil, as recently discovered. You just have to process the shit to extract silicon or whatever and you'll have water as by-product.

The rockets that take people to space come from the nuclear weapons program in the first place. It should be trivial to nuke Mars, it's not where the problem lies here.

You'll have to live underground for a while to escape the radiation, but you're digging those holes anyway to mine shit. Another way is living inside your water tank.

The effects are only crippling if they return to Earth afterwards, plus everything that's known about low gravity effect on human body comes from zero-G observations, Mars has significant gravity compared to the ISS. Sure it's probably gonna fuck up the babies, but you can grow those in centrifuges in Martian orbit, getting to which is much cheaper.

As for the point, there is none. We can agree on that.

I love how you ignored every problem and focused on one point that maybe was flawed.
And then instead of giving an argument you said that he can find himself one.

You can't terraform Venus but floating cities are easy

>You can't terraform Venus but floating cities are easy

Why waste all of the time and effort building fucking floating cities when you can just build orbital ring habitats that can simulate gravity?

Venus is shit as there's no water.

>Sure it's probably gonna fuck up the babies, but you can grow those in centrifuges in Martian orbit, getting to which is much cheaper.

This is the big thing in my opinion. Everything else is just an engineering problem, but without some sort of system to ensure Martians can reproduce without having to return to Earth, you're never going to have a self-sustaining colony.

Until they include a plan to establish a pretty massive station in Mars low orbit that's both robust enough to be spun AND heavily shielded against radiation, soley so women can go there to have kids, I don't see how you'd keep a permenent Martian colony going.

We've not even done studies into mammalian reproduction in micro-gravity yet, we have precisely zero data on how Martian gravity would effect the human reproductive system, but all evidence suggests it's probably not good.

If nothing else, the mother's heavily compromised immune system may leave the child unable to return to Earth without being killed by the common cold, and 2nd generation Martians may live in fear of new arrivals from Earth bringing disease that could wipe them out since they'd all be living in giant bubbles.

Hell, getting pregnant in the first place may be next to impossible, since micro-gravity leaves men unable to get erect, who knows if Martian gravity is enough?

elon is going to waste another billion dollars on spaceX then abandon it. its not his own personal money why does he give a fuck? its investors money in a company

I love all the shortsighted people in this thread...

>There is no space economy so we should build a space economy.
>Everything is too expense
>It's not worth the effort
>Musk is a jew and a liar

Fuck off you shortsighted twats. Off course it is gonna be expensive and of course there is no space economy yet. We have to build it!

Hows the quote go again?

>"We choose to go to the moon! We chose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard."

What happened to the stary-eyed humanity I used to know..

>microwaving the soil
>"At the concentration of water we're likely to encounter and the temperatures we're likely to encounter [on Mars], how do we validate those technologies are appropriate?"

They don't even know if it's going to fucking work.

>There's shitloads (comparatively) of water in martian soil, as recently discovered. You just have to process the shit to extract silicon or whatever and you'll have water as by-product.
They don't even know if the current technologies are compatible to extract that water.
>The rockets that take people to space come from the nuclear weapons program in the first place. It should be trivial to nuke Mars, it's not where the problem lies here.
The nukes would detonate where there is no atmosphere, you'd need a fuckton of nukes to melt the icecaps. It's also not a trivial thing to use nukes in any scenario.
>You'll have to live underground for a while to escape the radiation
200 years sounds fine to you? Fucking mole people.
>grow those in centrifuges in Martian orbit, getting to which is much cheaper.
Whatever star-trek technology "beam me up, scotty!" technology you're speaking of. You'd need to constantly escape the gravity of Mars to reach your centrifuges. That means fuel useage.
It wouldn't only fuck up babies, it would also fuck up teenagers in ways we don't fucking know.

We're not retarded and understand the benefits do not outweigh the cost.

Besides, everyone knows the Space Race was just a dick measuring contest.

Space colonies and exploration will only happen if the Earth is a mono race and world government.

>only happen if the Earth is a mono race and world government.

So by 2060 then?

>building a shit mars colony, a gay little bunker that costs trillions so 20 scientists can do unimportant and limited research

>not developing robotic spacecraft who can tractor asteroids full of trillions of dollars of rare earth metals into lucrative orbits where they can either be mined or crashed into the ocean

It's pretty obvious that we're taking all the bacteria with us if we're ever to procreate on Mars. You need to get your gut flora from somewhere AND you can't get rid of it even if you wanted to. I don't think immune system is a problem.

>micro-gravity leaves men unable to get erect
kek, source? How does that even work?

Gene therapy. Future martians would basically be a different species.

Poul Anderson's fireball series has a subplot about that but they're living on the moon.

that was awesome

>We're not retarded and understand the benefits do not outweigh the cost.

Seriously?

>Earth is overpopulated as it is
>Spread the human race out so we don't end up killing ourselves here on Earth.
>We require more mineralz
>Mining and refining rare earths so the chinks don't conquer the planet
>For science

Come on guy. Get with it. You know you want a n interplanetary civilization.

Send all the niggers and dunecoons to Mars first. If they fail we have proof that they are an inferior race and we get rid of them once and for all. If not... hahah who am I kidding?

I can't wait for the Earther aristocracy to implement unfair taxation on the Mars colony resulting in them blowing shipments of tea out the airlock

>The question is: after the colony has been running for say 10-20 years, what sort of society can we expect to see?
Pitcairn.

Earther? Earthians? Earthicans? We can do better than that. I am quite partial to terran honestly.

Martians and Terrans, done.

This however, is a bad idea

Did you told that about falcon 9 first stage landing too?

>he STILL doesn't deny he's muslim.

You make it sound like those are unsolvable problems. The only unsolvable problem is the gravity, and maybe the lack of magnetosphere, everything else is quite obviously possible.

Of course they don't know if it's going to work, that's why they're gonna make experiments first.

Atmosphere is not that crucial to a nuclear explosion - the heat is getting released. At worst we'd need twice as many nukes to melt the same amount of ice as we would on Earth.

Nothing wrong with mole people, some of us already live permanently confined to their basements.

Fuel is going to be relatively cheap on Mars, thanks to abundance of CO2 and water. And the gravity on Mars is weakass, if you remember that was your original point.

If we don't know yet in what ways it would fuck up teenagers and babies, it sounds like a good opportunity to observe it, doesn't it? We didn't know how being in space would fuck up the first cosmonauts, and yes, many died, but if back then you could bitchingly doubt the extent of their consent to this due to muh commies, this time the volunteers are gonna actually willingly pay $200,000 so that their babies could grow up thin-boned giants. It doesn't get more explicit than that.