You have a seat on the council, but we DO NOT grant you the rank of master

>You have a seat on the council, but we DO NOT grant you the rank of master

Who was in the wrong here?

Anakin, who was he to try and sit on the entite council instead of a single chair like all the other masters?

I’m not sure why Palpatine was allowed to choose a Jedi for the council anyway

There was no reason Anakin should've expected to get a seat let alone be promoted to Jedi Master, wasn't he still in his early 20s during Revenge of the Sith?

The council literally fucked anakin over to the dark side with this misguided attempt at tough love. I haven’t even watched the prequels and the context of this scene makes me mad.

It was a dick move tbqh

Seems to me that being on the council is a higher prestige.

He was more powerful than any other Jedi there, that’s how he managed to kill a temple full of them

Anakin. The only reason he was put on the Council was because of Palpatine. He wasn't ready to be Jedi Master at any point in the series.

Jedi of course

They had become arrogant. They were all about seniority and not ability or accomplishments. Anakin at this point had served in more battles, killed more and done more for the Republic than any of those assholes. Most of those 3 years those fuckers on the council did jack and shit while anakin was out in the mud shedding blood. They just viewed him a some Peon with an attitude while secretly being scared of his power. He had trained multiple of the Jedi already and could easily have kicked the shit out of everyone but 2 maybe 3.

It was a punk move by the Jedi Masters

ONLY A SITH DEALS IN ABSOLUTES

near-ULIMITED POWAH granted by the senate

But there were no Jedi actually at the temple, he just killed the kids

All the adult Jedi were off fighting robot separatists or whatever

Those jedi masters all served in the clone wars, and they had fought many battles in their decades prior to council status whilst anakin was a punk kid compared to their experience. The jedi had lost much of their originial purpose but the council only had like 10 members for a reason, and they never give a position, or master title to someone in theor 20s.

After watching The Clone Wars this scene makes no sense in retrospect

Eh? There were plenty of Jedi at the temple, even the master bladesman Cin Drallig was there. Anakin cut through them all like butter, you can see him killing them in a hologram in a Kenobi scene

The Council didn't trust Anakin - partly because of his close relationship with Palpatine, but also because they recognized his (mostly unrealized) potential. Such potential had the capacity to destroy them, and eventually it did.

As a consequence of their ego and their belief that the Sith were largely extinct with the exception of the "mystery Sith Lord", the Council believed that the best way of handling Anakin was keeping him in check while still dangling the proverbial carrot in front of him, constantly baiting him with new authority and new power. It didn't work. Anakin's frustration with the council and the Jedi way of life as a whole boiled until he exploded, causing the destruction of both the Jedi Order and the Republic.

So, really, the Council was in the wrong. They were fueled by ego and pride, and paid the price for it.

The reason Anakin wanted to be a Jedi Master is because Masters get access to the restricted section of the Jedi archives, and Anakin hoped there would be something in there to help him save Padme

So really, Anakin was in the wrong. He wanted the rank for the wrong reasons

Unless you are reading out of "legends" in canon nope. Very few of those masters actually served and not as much as anakin. Anakin was literally on the front lines for 3 and half years. Yeah some of those jedi's eventually came out as the war dragged on but no one besides Obi wan had as much battle time as anakin or had accomplished as much. The fact that he defeated Dooku in single combat, and saved the chancellor and obi wan single handledly... I mean come on

Dude even trained multiple apprentices. The only reason they were holding back is he was young and they were threatened by him. I mean why the fuck was obi wan granted mastership so fast compared to anakin?

It was a punkass move, hell even luke with less training was a master

Oh, okay, I haven't seen any of the extended universe stuff so I just assumed they had all gone off to do other shit

To be a Jedi is to be Humble no matter the circumstance. Anakin didn't have what it takes to be a Jedi. Every other Jedi Master managed to keep themselves in check, yet Anakin couldn't. Because he was a power hungry child. After he killed those tusken Raiders there was nothing the Jedi could do to help him.

Re-watching the PT was pretty illuminating in regards to what a cunt Windu was. He shits on Anakin at every opportunity and was condescending even to a respected master like Obi-Wan.

They held Anakin back cause they knew he was power hungry. He didn't have the mind of a Jedi Master, only the skill of one.

Anakin, but windu should have been more diplomatic

This, he wanted to be Jedi Master for the wrong reasons. The Council knew this.

Those masters had been fighting the enemies of the order and the republic long before the clone wars. And it is canon that most of those masters had extensive involvement in the battles of the clone wars themselves. And they all had trained more apprentices than Anakin.

he was the senate user, he had the combined strength of one thousand and twenty-four men at the very least (as this is the number of detachable repulsorpods contained in the Galactic Senate Chamber), far greater than that of just one man like Mace Windu

He was one of the most successful generals of the clone wars. He led armies of millions against overwhelming odds in hell holes, trained multiple apprentices and defeated Dooku and Ventress.

Come on

Anakin. You need to understand how the Jedi think. They are not "Force Users", they are a religion doing the Force's Will. That's why when Anakin seeks Yoda advice all he got is:
>"Rejoice for those around us who transform into the Force. Mourn them, do not. Miss them, do not. Attachment leads to jealousy, the shadow of greed, that is."
>"Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose."

Because the Jedi must purge their own ego and emotions so they can "hear" the Force and do it's will. When Anakin tries to bypass the trials to become a master, they slap him in the face, and they are right. The lesson here is "You are a jedi. No emotions, no ego, no attachments. You may sit here if the Chancelor demands so, but you can't expect that an title can make you a master". You may say that's harsh, but at this point Anakin should have known better about his place and obligations. To take the position in vanity, thinking he "deserved" for any reason is a mistake, and a man that can be so easily manipulated by gifts and/or thinks so highly about himself is no master in the Jedi Order.

From my point of view, the jedi are evil!

Doesn't mean he's a master. Power isn't what determines who is a master among the Jedi. Obi Wan was a padawan when he defeated a Sith Lord while his master fell

Like I said, he had the skill, not the mind set. I mean he killed Dooku, after all his years of training, just cause Palpatine said "Do it". A Jedi Master would have known better.

This whole thing was just standard routine out of the Palpatine playbook: force your opponent into a catch-22 where the only way they can avoid conceding to outside pressure is by shooting themselves in the foot. Both sides are in the wrong for playing directly into it; Anakin didn't need to take obvious political maneuvering so personally and Mace didn't need to exacerbate things by being such an asshole about it.

Pretty sure the Council said they allowed it only to find out what the Chancellor was up to.

The jedi masters had treated anakin like shit for years and as an outsider. They let other pupils rip on him for being a slave. Of course anakin is going to seek a father figure in the only dude not treating him like a complete piece of shit.

Like I said Jedi's fault

You for posting a picture from Episode I when trying to meme Episode III.

>Darth Sidious did nothing wrong

If Obi Wan had stayed at the temple, would the coup de tat have been prevented?