I liked 2049 but you have to admit that the set design was super bland. In the first film...

i liked 2049 but you have to admit that the set design was super bland. In the first film, pretty much every shot is like some kind of painting. Pure artistry everywhere. In 2049, a lot of places just look like Dentist offices. Really bland.

Part of the appeal of Blade Runner was that it was still filled with the old 20th Century buildings in LA, meaning we have these older Art Deco buildings alongside futuristic pyramids and urban decay and sprawl. It had this Neo-Noir feel and look. 2049 lacks all of that. No film noir, no art deco, no Bradbury building. In fact, we spend almost no time downtown where the first film was mostly set. LAPD HQ is totally new tower, and K's neighborhood is newer build commieblocks with people crammed into them.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6iqmIoHL74Y
youtu.be/EFudzSsAZDI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

youtube.com/watch?v=6iqmIoHL74Y

it's okay, you can admit it was a failure

agree 2049 is a pretentious dull mess
came here to post that. literlally my favourite frame in all of cine'

I agree with your, but I guess a "sterile" feel was what they were looking for (that's what I got form talking to friends about it).

>agree 2049 is a pretentious dull mess

I liked the story, and characters, but the city and set design was a step back. Where are all the Chinese? Why does it look like a bland cliche sci-fi city now? Why are the streets so damn narrow?

It's 30 years later, all that shit's been torn down

In just 30 years?

How much have NYC or LA changed from 1988 to today?

They also mention some kind of upheaval in that time period (the blackout), it's possible a lot of the city was damaged

gentrification has changed alot

it's because 2049 was dishonest filmmaking

>Why does everything look different after 30 years and a massive technological blackout

>Really bland
i have the theory they didnt use the budget to the full potential, thats why despise being high budged it dont look like it.

disney keeps posting this reddit video

youtu.be/EFudzSsAZDI

fast forward to about 7:30 where it talks about film noir elements. 2049 retains SOME noir elements but wasn't jam packed with neo-noir scenes like the 1982 bladerunner

>thats why despise being high budged it dont look like it.
Literally what?

its because while 2049 has impressive one-shots, they don't feel real and authentic the way 1982 epitomizes film noir with moving shadow and light, wafting cigarette smoke and venetian blinds

The special effects and wide city shots are great. The interiors are super boring.

>agree 2049 is a pretentious dull mess
Is not what he said.
He said the set design is emptier.
Is more in tone with the new movie, but I agree that on an exquisitely aestethic level the original is better.

make your own movie then, if you don't like something.
it's not like someone is stopping you........

BR2049 isn't supposed to be a noir film, it's about an investigation but stylistically the intention was never for it to be noir the same way that the original was

This guy complains the order K attacked the hobos and claims the police boss was an antagonist.
I don't know what to say. Is embarrassing.

This guys is such a pleb he did not even get the baseline test.
I would ignore his opinions.

>all that focus on Joi
pleb confirmed

br2049 is reddit incarnate

I don't know what you'd define as 'bland', but this isn't it