Horror general

Post recommendations, requests, favourites, etc. What's everyone watching tonight? Watching Willow creek myself followed by rec or hellhouse

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mTVKNW5s5js
youtube.com/watch?v=YxuA7_8_RdE
youtube.com/watch?v=hdi923NG-HE
youtube.com/watch?v=Qvuo95T0C9E
youtube.com/watch?v=uCba2YBjRgw
youtube.com/watch?v=1oMSE8VUadA
youtube.com/watch?v=hEzyoeRuxYk
wickedhorror.com/features/retrospectives/texas-chainsaw-massacre-2-set-apart-original-worked/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Recent watches

>The Ritual
Good suspense for the first half but quickly became old after revealing the antagonist of the movie - I have no qualms with it being supernatural but this just wasn’t very scary at all. Although I think the performances were good, it’s not a great movie

>The Invitation
Really enjoyed this as I didn’t know what to expect, even though predictable at points this was a solid movie and I’d reccomend

>Creep 2
Not as good as the first but still a great performance from the actor who played the killer - interesting premise that could’ve ended in a better way

Jigsaw - More of the same, you know what to expect and there’s nothing really new here but it’s worth a watch to pass your time.

I’m getting really sick of people recommended A Dark Song, I am Not a Serial Killer or Annabelle and conjuring movies - seriously leave that shit alone, it’s trash.

whats wrong with the conjuring? I hear from all my friends, even some with taste that it isnt bad as far as modern horror goes

Just watched Prince of Darkness again.
11/10.

good film, ending dream always creeps me out

>barely watch new horror movies
>Insidious or Sinister airs on TV
>Sure, why not
>It's bland as shit
No wonder every slightly more original horror is praised nowadays if this is the standard.

I thought the first sinister was supposed to be good

>Post recommendations

Do not watch Jeepers Creepers 3 or Hellraiser Judgement. Ever

It was Insidious, I always confuse them.

>watching any hellraiser past the first two

Agreed.

It’s not a bad movie in its own right, but definitely gets more credit than it deserves as I don’t think it brings anything new to the table, but if I were to alter my perspective I guess what it does do, it does well.

I just think possession movies are a dime a dozen and it takes a genuine effort by filmmakers not to buy into industry cliches that are overused. It has jumpscares and thrills but could build upon the sense of dread of being a child in that house while all that is going on.

One of the scariest movies I’ve ever seen was Ju-On : The Grudge. A lot of people here probably would say it’s not even scary, but I still find this movie legitimately terrifying as it did things I’d never seen before
>Daylight is usually an escape and room to breathe for the audience, this is where tension is built up as most people don’t feel anything will happen because daytime is safe - not here
>Death Rattle
>child ghost was not some omnipotent force, it was just a teaser for the real ghost: his mother
> isolated scenes cashing in on your fears: seeing ghosts, no jumpscares - it’s just quiet, ghosts appear in your bed, closet, living room and they don’t just show up - they slowly creep into frame

Ju On and the Thai movie Shutter are movies I’ll always recommend

I think I enjoyed Insidious. Sinister was the one with the freaky short films, Insidious was the Patrick Wilson one that turned into a trilogy. Right? I should google this. No wait, Insidious was the child that they allowed into their house and then they were being haunted. But that definitely had a sequel... I think I enjoyed Insidious because haunted houses are comfy but I really can't remember where the ghosts were coming from.

>>Creep 2
You got me excited for a minute there, I thought you meant this Creep

>willow creek
>takes over half the movie for them to get to the forest
>first half is just them and locals jacking off over bigfoot

Willow Creek was surprisingly good. That tent scene was brilliant.

Sinister was good, but I really think the whole "SUPERNATURAL ENTITY THAT'S EXISTED SINCE ANCIENT TIMES" thing is way too fucking played out for me to enjoy it. I honestly think the writers had something else in mind before the producers imposed that shitty fucking trope on the movie.

I've heard the studio basically slapped together some unrelated shit for the 3rd one, but that the 4th explores the mythos a bit more.
I just saw the original, and enjoyed the practical effects and world-building more than I thought I would.

The first Hellraiser is a great fucking movie. I watched it a few months ago and was blown away by how good it actually was. I've been meaning to continue the series. Should I?

Session 9 was fucking atmospheric kino

we're in the same boat - I made that post intentionally angling for recommendations for or against watching the 3rd/4th ones. this following post recommends just the first 2:
that said, I saw The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) a few months ago, and was just floored by its intensity - that experience is by far the greatest horror movie I've ever seen

1 and 2 go together. The second one is just a continuation of the first's story. The rest are all self-contained and are hit or miss.

Idk, it came out at the same time as The Conjuring, Insidious, and a bunch of other shit and it actually stuck with me. Genuinely creepy at times. Sequel was garbage though.

>Ju-On : The Grudge
You're talking about the original, right? Did you also see the other films in the series?

RAWHEAD REX who has seen this clusterfuck

so can someone help me with the ending to willow creek, why was that fat chick on the missing poster standing there naked

Tobe Hooper is a hack overall though. The only other good film of his is Poltergeist, which was actually directed by Spielberg.

According to the bigfoot lore, squatches kidnap women and use them as sex slaves.

oh, that makes sense then. wonder if I would have enjoyed the movie more if I knew more about bigfoot

fuck now I feel really bad for that chick

Inferno is actually great. The rest...not so much.

Of course the original, I don’t fuck with remakes - I don’t even think I’ve seen the one with Sarah Michelle Gellar

No I haven’t seen Ju-On 2 or the others - are they as good?

>Tobe Hooper is a hack overall
all his other work could be forgotten (probably will be, and maybe should be).
doesn't matter what he did before or after - artists ultimately should be judged by their high water marks, and Hooper's best crested higher than over 99% of the horror genre.

Isn't it actually mentioned in the movie? I could have sworn it is, though I haven't watched it in a while.

I don't think so, could be wrong since it would be so odd to leave that out

The Thing

Can we talk about how fucking stupid this was

>see the witch less than halfway through the movie
>witch just makes grunty animal noises alot and knocks over trees like a dumb animal
>most of the scares are just the characters touching each other without warning or camera cuts
>they have a drone for some reason
>FLYING FUCKING TENT

and what the fuck was up with the weird lights outside the house???

I don't think it is. I watched it like a week ago, and I didn't remember that being a part of it.

What are the best sci-fi horror films? I just watched Sunshine and Event Horizon and I need more.

I could've sworn there is a small reference to it earlier in the film, but I honestly can't remember. Either way, I really enjoyed the tent scene. The rest of the movie is pretty okay, but that scene is really great.

Rewatch those two.

Alien, the thing

>all his other work could be forgotten (probably will be, and maybe should be)
The Funhouse was good fun. I love cozy carnival settings.

Flatliners

Jason X

what's your favourite Italian horror/giallo? Pic related was surprisingly good.
Other than that, Fulci's "Gates of Hell" trilogy is a personal favourite.

Sci-fi is a very broad term. Even something like Frankenstein can be classified as sci-fi.

Mario Bava's La maschera del demonio and I tre volti della paura.

Wait a moment, was Julia on hell between Hellraiser 1 and 2?
She seems to know her way on the labryinth but was she taken by the cenobites?
Or does every absorved victim becomes a slave in Hell if the one regaining skin gets caputured again?
That would mean that the father of Kristin is also in hell isn't it?

All great films

Which version? I've heard a bit about the original but never tried it.

I was hoping to trick people into naming more "proper" sci-fi, i.e. horror on space ships or stations, or other planets. I imagine there isn't a lot of that though.

Bava is a fucking master

>Or does every absorved victim becomes a slave in Hell if the one regaining skin gets caputured again?
I don't think it was ever established. Last time we saw her (or rather her corpse) she had the box in her hands.

can somebody recommend some King kino?

not dissing the rest of his movies - just that the way these things tend to go historically is the future will remember just one of his films, and nobody really has any doubt about which one that will be.
that said, I'm one of those people who was so damn impressed by TCM that I probably will end up watching more of his stuff eventually

I loved Suspiria, didn't care for Deep Red or Inferno. The latter tried its hardest to make no sense at all, despite actually having quite a simple story.
>Fulci's "Gates of Hell" trilogy is a personal favourite
I liked Zombi 2 a lot, so I'll make sure to check that out.

Watch Galaxy of Terror. It's dumb, sleazy and entertaining.

youtube.com/watch?v=mTVKNW5s5js

Stephen King? I don't think anything will ever top Carrie and Kubrick's The Shining.

The Mist and Sleepwalkers

How do people generally like the Friday the 13th movies?
I just started watching them and even though they're occasionally kinda trashy they've mostly been pretty fun so far.

Stay away from Salem's Lot. 3 hours of boring shit for a couple decent scenes.

This looks amazing, cheers lad.

Final Chapter is the only genuinely decent film. You can even ignore the first three, since it recaps everything you need to know.

The Beyond and City of the Living Dead are the two best movies of Fulci's trilogy, imo. However, they are also pretty nonsensical, especially The Beyond, with a lot more focus on gore and a nightmarish atmosphere. But if you liked Zombi 2, they should be right up your alley as well.

>Carrie
sounds good.
already watched both
aight thanks.

I was quite disappointed with them after the hype they got. Jason X and Freddy vs. Jason are great though, but it may well be the comedy in those that made me like them more than the others.

I really enjoyed Bavas Blood and Black Lace
youtube.com/watch?v=YxuA7_8_RdE

oh, so she was the one that call them at the end

That movie is genuinely creepy, also The Tunnel is worth watching if you like that one.

Really good choice. So pleasing to the eye as well.

So...did anyone see pic related? I thought it was pretty okay, like, better than a lot of more mainstream horror, but still pretty much just "okay."
I would say its a better watch for someone who's a metal fan, there's little references to metal all over it, in backgrounds and stuff. Not kino but fun.

Dream catcher is hilariois

Misery, the Shining, the Mist, The Stand

they are absolute trash that just rips off everything so much its insulting. That said I watched all of them because most of them can be comfy

Yeah it was just alright. I saw people praise it but I didn't get anything out of it. Especially since I'm not a metal guy at all. It did get me to check out his other movie The Loved Ones which I thought was great.

I didn't even know Jeepers Creepers 2 existed, lel. How bad is it?

Fulci's Gates of Hell trilogy was fun in spirit, with The Beyond being the high point to it. City of the Living Dead has a lot of great moments throughout the movie, but they don't coalesce into a good film. House by the Cemetery is almost completely disconnected from the first two films in the series, without evening mentioning what's supposed to thematically link the movies (the actual Gate of Hell being opened). It has some good moments, but that kid is way too fucking annoying.

Wish Fulci had finished the series (it was supposed to be 7 parts, not a trilogy), but he's dead so that ain't happening.

For a no-budget flick (I think it was funded by Kickstarter), "Absentia" was pretty good. I wouldn't rewatch it because it plods along in places, but the ideas it runs with are pretty spooky. The lack of a budget means that the scares aren't frequent, but it also keeps the movie from getting retarded at the end with a "big finish" that undermines all the eerie suspense. And it had a good ending, too.

The DVD cover is SHIT, though. They could've tried a little harder on that.

My favs, off the top of my head.

>the thing
>all myers halloween movies - even RZ ones
>30 days of night
>the descent
>omen
>as above, so below
>original dawn of the dead

>can somebody recommend some King kino?

This is the best King movie, the best Savini movie and the best Romero movie.

Creepshow 2 is a major drop in quality, but still worth seeing, especially for "The Raft". Creepshow "3" is bullshit and had nothing to do with King or any of the original creators. Cat's Eye is the real Creepshow 3 and the first two segments in it are fantastic (it gets retarded in the third segment, but retarded in an entertaining, "Maximum Overdrive" sort of way).

It is alright.

watching the tenant, why is polanski so comfy

>but that kid is way too fucking annoying.
the creepiest part of House by the Cemetery is the dubbing for that fucking kid.
As you say, they are fun movies, not exactly masterpieces. But I do love the effects and the atmosphere.

I don't really understand how people get scared at all from movies. Mostly it's about seeing the characters be scared or at least suffer.
Even though I don't understand it, I love to watch them with people that actually get scared tho. It's like having the genuine thing sitting next to you.

I got really high and watched the first Paranormal Activity on my own. I managed to freak myself out lying in bed that night.

>Creepshow
>Creepshow 2
>Cat's Eye

Throw in Tales from the Darkside: The Movie and you've got the ultimate King anthology marathon. Yeah, he only wrote one segment in the movie ("The Cat from Hell") but it was the BEST segment. The other segments are good, too. One's got good performances from Christian Slater and Steve Buscemi and a mummy, the other is a decent American localization of "Yuki-Onna" from Kwaidan.

Underrated Carpenter. This and Assauly are my jam.

*Assault on Precinct 13.

While I wouldn't qualify Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight as "scary", it is so FUCKING cool that I never get sick of it. It has an awesome back story, a great single location with a lot of nooks and crannies to explore, ramped up suspense as the demons gain ground an inch at a time, kick ass practical effects, and holy shit such a good cast. Billy Zane, William Sadlet, Jada Pinkett, CCH Pounder, Roger Rabbit, Thomas Hadden Church, and it's all wrapped up with Based John Kassir's Cryptkeeper. It's amazingly good.

Bordello of Blood kinda sucks, but if you want to see a horror movie starring Dennis Miller, it's kind of your only option.

I liked the painting he did

>>omen
Great movie, and the sequels are really underrated.

>>all myers halloween movies
4 is my favourite, how about you?

Movie should have been a sex tape for the first 30 minutes

>4 is my favourite, how about you?
not that user but fucking love halloween shit, I feel 4 is easily the best outside of the original, also

Loomis>>>>everyone else

its a crime they got someone else for lauries daughter in the new one and not danielle harris, jamie>laurie

The importance of TCM out weighs the turds he made in the 90s onwards.
Lifeforce and the Funhouse are actually good, and I like Eaten Alive. Invaders from Mars isn't great but the production value isn't too bad.
And I am part of the cult that enjoy TCM2.

Also someone mentioned his only other great film is Poltergeist. Yet you forgot Salem's Lot.

Hammer Horror Kino

It was a little sad when Hooper got reduced to directing episodes of TV shows. I mean, he got to do the origin episode of Freddy's Nightmares, which is one of the only good episodes of the series, and I remember Real Ghosts very fondly, but the direction in those is so workmanlike you wouldn't know it was Hooper unless you checked IMDB.

I actually rewatched Poltergeist last night. It's such a good flick, but feels so unlike every other film Hooper ever made that I'm inclined to believe the stories that Spielberg backseat directed it to the point where Hooper was just his mouthpiece for issuing on-set instructions to the cast. Nothing Hooper made before or after is anything like Poltergeist.

Great tastes lad. All those scenes of Loomis hitchiking after Michael, confronting him at the garage, chasing him around Haddonfield again (but with more scenes), it really reminded me that Pleasence is a real actor and can carry a movie on his own. I hope he enjoyed his career, because his habit of saying yes to everything meant he ended up in a lot of shit.

No way.
3 has the best kills.
2 has best Jason and the best skinny dipping cliche.
1 is overall fun.

It's the last 2 of the 8 that sucked.

not casting Danielle Harris as Jaimie Lloyd is a travesty, not having Laurie's new daughter named Jaimie is a travesty as well

halloween feels wrong without loomis, he is the anti-myers. I thought mcdowell did a great job as him in the zombie movies.

>95lbs. Peter Cushing raping a girl that could break every bone in his body with a gentle tap

My suspension of disbelief could only go so far (but I still love that film series). Cushing's best performance was in the Amicus Tales from the Crypt film, though. God, his segment is sad.

she would do it as well, the fuck is wrong with mcbride??

fuck you dude, Part 7 Jason is the best look and part 8 is pure 80's comf, the only one that sucks from the first 8 is part V

Makes me think of Mick Garris. He acts as though his career is amazing, directing boring TV movies of King novels, horror tv episodes and some lame theatrical films.
Decent interviewer though. That's his charm. He loves horror and he did lots of behind the scenes stuff and interviewed the greats in the 80s.
He's got a great podcast. Much better than Shockwaves.

5 has some hilarious moments that I adore.
I'll give yeah 7, barely.
But I will stand by 8 being the worst. The shit on the boat was not bad but it took forever to get to Manhatten and it was a let down.

Jason being a fucking "ghost" in Part VIII is the weirdest thing about it. People joke about how he "teleports" in the movies, but he literally DOES teleport in that film. Then there's that underdeveloped, half-baked subplot about the ghost of his innocent inner child trying to escape from the monster he's turned into and appearing to the main character, begging her to save him. The ending we got was dumb, but the original ending would have been even worse as they filmed it, with the child Jason spirits escaping from the monster Jason's mouth in a geyser of water. Just wtf it's a slasher movie you don't need to get all metaphorical with it.

Is there any hope for this? I’m skeptically excited for it

I was totally on board for the weirdness of having McBride doing it but I'm really apprehensive about bringing back Jamie Lee Curtis as Laurie Strode. But I'm going to see it day one regardless so there's no point in thinking too much about it.

Am i the only one that was put off in the original texan massacre with that bitch screaming?

I like the movie, but the scences where the mc is just screaming nonfucking stop was so off putting like ENTIRE scenes is just her screaming.

I get it, she is freak out but I lose my "scared" and had to turned down the volume. Instead of me getting into it, those scenes just put me off the mood, even to th3 end

>laurie strode
>no loomis
>dont cast harris as jamie or name daughter jamie
>70 year old michael myers

no, and I got through ressurection

5 is entertaining enough and hast the best pair of titties in the series.
>People joke about how he "teleports" in the movies, but he literally DOES teleport in that film
youtube.com/watch?v=hdi923NG-HE

There's also those drawn-out scenes of the wheelchair retard spazzing out. I think it adds to the film, it's not supposed to be pleasant to watch.

anybody got a gif/webm?

That foreshadowing.

kek

I hear conflicting things about Hellraiser Judgement

>picking up forty years after the events of the original film while disregarding the previous sequels from canon
Is Curtis cursed, or does she insist that every time she show up in a Halloween film the canon gets torn apart? Obviously I'm going to see it, but it's bloody exasperating.

Timeline 1
>1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Timeline 2 (H20)
>1, 2, H20, Resurrection

Timeline 3
>1, [2?], 2018

The script jury-rigging started with 5.

Bigfoot got a hot new wife and ditched the old fat one

is there anything that actually conflicts with 4 5 and 6 in h20 though, she still "died" in a car crash, and there was a scrapped scene where she found out jamie died and threw up in a toilet, just makes her look like a terrible mother really

>Much better than Shockwaves.
Fucking Shill Waves. Last time I ever listened to them was when they couldn't stop fellating the guys behind Big Assed Spider. Jesus Christ, that was the worst fucking movie. And it wasn't even funny bad. It was just fucking BAD.

Also, fucking Elric Kane, the fucking living human embodiment of smug liberal condescension. God damn, I want that man to die in a fire.

Halloween 2018 time is just Halloween 1 and than this one I thought 2 wasn’t part of the time line? It’s so fucking confusing

Kurt Barlow is one of the best vampires in fiction

>there was a scrapped scene where she found out jamie died and threw up in a toilet, just makes her look like a terrible mother really
Interesting, that's actually the main reason why I assumed it was being ignored, she was so bonkers overprotective of her son that I thought it unlikely she would have abandoned a daughter who was terrorised by Michael for years before being raped and murdered by him. There's also that Laurie didn't seem to know that Michael had been on 3 rampages since she last saw him, which you'd think she'd be listening out for news about.

I just hope the script is good and can maybe bring back the original feeling of the first one. I’ll be seeing it first day as well I just hope it’s decent.

probably why they scrapped the scene, makes her look like an idiot

Part 2 is scrapped from this canon, so they may not even be related and it'll be a clusterfuck but I'm hopeful.

I know they wanted Curtis for sales, but they should have just had no-one from the other films but Michael now its just a confusing mess

My main issue with the original Halloween is Carpenter tipping his fedora and listing Michael in the cast as "The Shape".

Best channel coming through

filmstruck just added the new restoration of Night of the Living Dead and it comes with 2 commentary tracks, the workprint version of the film, 2 video essays (one by Every Frame a Painting), a 20 min interview with Del Toro, Frank Darabont and Robert Rodriguez, raw footage, a few random crew interviews, and even freaking radio spot ads for the original release

anything Bava really

It was carpenter who wanted Myers to just be “death” who just does evil shit bc he can there is no rhyme or reason for what he does.

excellent taste

Why is this an issue?

>tfw no filmstruck in Canada

shame the 3rd one was shit

well they just rolled out to the UK so they'll probably do Canada within the next year hopefully

It just makes me cringe.
You might be the kind of fingerless glove wearing baddass that thinks it's deep.

who's better at cinematography, Argento or Bava?

that's a pretty cool poster, i wasn't sure if i was going to bother with 4-6, thought i'd just watch H20. i liked 2 a lot more than i thought i would so if 4 is well liked i might as well see it.

Bava imo. But it's close. Argento's use of color is really superb too

h20 is hot garbage, honestly the only good halloween films are 1-4 and 2 is debatable honestly, some of the others are entertaining enough but some are just trash

h20 looks comfy enough though, i like bad late 90s teen horror.

Pretty much this.

Best death coming through.
youtube.com/watch?v=Qvuo95T0C9E

Just watched The Ritual, I enjoyed it. I also really enjoyed Conjuring and Insidious. I have a low bar for horror since its so few and far between I come across one thats not decent, and not torture porn.

>Am i the only one that was put off in the original texan massacre with that bitch screaming?

I could handle the screaming. But Franklin was such an obnoxious piece of shit, he almost tanks the whole film. Whenever I rewatch, I'm counting the minutes until he dies.

I love how they just went "oops" and treated it like no big deal

>Kurt Barlow is one of the best vampires in fiction

Book or movie? Because in the movie he's just Count Orlock painted blue.

Still haven't seen Mother of Tears. I hate to leave a trilogy incomplete, but Argento hasn't made a good flick in decades and Asia Argento is a terrible actress.

I know that officially H20 is a sequel to H1 and 2, but the movie-itself seems like it can't decide WHAT it's a sequel to.

>Laurie acts like Michael is still out there; like their last encounter was unresolved, which would make more sense as a sequel to H1 where Michael vanished after being shot.
>Laurie's son mentions "you watched him burn" which is in direct reference to H2 so you know it had to happen anyway.
>Laurie faking her death and Loomis having died recently both feel like bones thrown to the Jamie Lloyd films even though they aren't canon

Fuckin mess of a movie. Only Resurrection is worse.

at least I can laugh at ressurection

I appreciate both, and I always like the Orlock look with intelligence. I haven't finished the book but I'll get around to it. Book has been superior so far.

Just finished the tenant and now I'm depressed. What was the deal with the tooth, hieroglyphs in the toilet and was he just hallucinating the hospital bit at the end? I feel dumb

For a TV movie, the 1973 version of Don't Be Afraid of the Dark is really good. They do the best effects they can with their limited budget and manages to find creepy ways to imply the monsters without showing them too much. Lots of spooky whispering in the corners and the shadows of the house.

Just avoid the shitty remake with the CGI monsters that look even less convincing than the midgets in rubber suits.

>see the witch less than halfway through the movie
it was not the witch
>witch just makes grunty animal noises alot and knocks over trees like a dumb animal
again see above
>most of the scares are just the characters touching each other without warning or camera cuts
that was lame I agree
>they have a drone for some reason
it's hip with the kids now
>FLYING FUCKING TENT
fair. also, the weird lights was the witch fucking with the time again

Gerald's Game was decent

Most of the Dollar Baby short films are college student tier shit, but I always liked The Boogeyman:

youtube.com/watch?v=uCba2YBjRgw

It's a pretty solid adaptation of the short story. Has a claustrophobic feel to it and the acting isn't that bad for something so amateur. The same group did an adaptation of The Woman in the Room which was probably better, but it's not one of King's horror stories so much (though it does have one scary scene in it).

weird lights make sense being a time thing, thanks thought it was UFO from the engine sounds ugh. And yeah I read up on how the writer said it wasn't the witch but I feel like he is just saying that to appease fans, nothing indicates its anything BUT the witch in the movie and it was listed in the credits too (I know, writer also said that was a mistake).

Even if it wasn't the witch, having to put in a monster to show off and chase people is still just as dumb

How's VHS Viral? I know it's the sequel that killed the franchise; was it that bad compared to the first two?

if i recall the framing plot they used is worse than the second one but the segments are better than the second one
like if they switched those two things around then it would make for one decent film and one really bad one

It was meh, imo the only segment that's worth watching is that one with the parallel universes.

That's encouraging, thanks, since I actually liked the second one better than the first one. I'll have to give it a shot, then.

ABCs of Death > V/H/S

ABCs of Horror any good? I've seen a few of the shorts on you tube and man, their quality is mixed. I think the To is for Toilet short by Lee Hardcastle is the only one I've seen that I've liked. What's the good to bad ratio in the movies?

Just watched Gerald's Game

my face during the degloving scene.

Read the book so I knew it was coming but damn I didn't think that would show it that realistically.

>ABCs of Horror any good?

*ABCs of Death

fuck that scene, the necrophiliac is what kept me awake in my bed until I fell asleep due to exhaustion

It's a lengthy one, but an awful lot of the segments were hit or miss, like I didn't bother to catch the second one because the first one wasn't all that imo. Watch the first few segments and decide if you want to continue.

You mean Lurch/ the Giant?

I'd say it's more good than bad.
Some segments will definitely be stuck in your head for days.
ABCs of Death introduced me to Takashi Miike so it will always have a special place in my heart.

yup

Agreed.

Good call on Cat's Eye being the real Creepshow 3. Never thought of it that way. Used to watch that as a kid all the time.

I watched Hellraiser Judgement last night and thought a couple times in the first 20 mins "wait, what movie is this again?"
I read that Dimension puts these trash Hellraiser sequels out just to maintain the IP. It's possible the director cared, but that only goes as far as the studio cares - hence the quality. I also read that Dimension was pitched an Origins story that (seemed like it) would've been awesome, but they panned it.

Cat's Eye is great. The third segment and the wraparound feel like they're in the wrong movie, not because I think they're bad, but because they feature supernatural stuff/monsters whereas the first two segments in the film are strictly suspense/thriller stuff (and they're REALLY good). The effects on the goblin are pretty good in the third segment; I think I only dislike the slapstick comedy elements and the fact that the goblin is voiced by Frank Welker, so the whole time I'm watching him he just sounds like Slimer from The Real Ghostbusters and its distracting (like when Welker used his Dr. Claw voice for Malbolgia in the Spawn movie).

Well, what you read about Dimension and the IP stuff is true. Revelations was made for the same reason, to keep the IP, and it was as cheap as cheap can get. The director of Revelations and Judgment IS a fan of the Hellraiser series and he TRIES to make the best of what he has to work with, but Dimension gives him so little in the way of resources. His movies end up looking like fan films and not legitimate productions.

All that said, Hellworld is still the worst of all the sequels and that one was made back when Dimension still used a little bit of budget and got Doug Bradley to play Pinhead.

Langoliers is the shit.

SCARING the LITTLE GIRRRRRRRRRRRRL!?!?!?!

Thanks; I'll give em a shot. With 26 segments per movie, I figured they'd be very mixed. But at least that also means that bad ones don't last very long (or the good ones either, unfortunately).

its generic modern horror shit with jumpscares but it's elevated by having two interesting main characters.

James Wan's problem is that he's good at thinking up little moments that are spooky and memorable, but he can't string them together into a good movie. I'm thinking stuff like Dead Silence, Insidious and Conjuring, with Insidious probably being the best of the three (I only had a problem when the ending went full retard and the CGI demon starts running around the house and it looks awful). He also can't end a movie without having to go for a big special effects bonanza finish and it's always stupid. Conjuring at the backflipping with and flying magic shotgun.

The guy needs an assistant director or someone to look over his shoulder and tell him "No James, that's dumb."

Those 2 characters in real life are complete frauds who have these movies to sate their ego

So far as the Ed and Lorraine Warren films go, The Conjuring is probably the "best" of them. Prior to that, they only netted the occasional TV movie like The Demon Murder Case and The Haunted.

The Demon Murder Case is 90% boring and 10% retarded, even with an all-star cast of the era (Kevin Bacon barking like a dog on all fours, Andy Griffith as Ed Warren, and Cloris Leachman who I don't think has ever been young).

The Haunted I remember liking as a kid, but I rewatched it recently and boy does it suck.

>Vera farminger in the conjuring movies

Damn it I can never see her as anyone but Vera farminger

really? I thought they were real ghost experts.

I can never see her as anyone but MY WIFE

>King kino

Night Flier is underrated as fuck.

stranger things

HARD MODE:

can somebody recommend some Koontz kino?

About to watch the conjuring what am I in for

Skeptics call them frauds and I wouldn't say they're flat out frauds but I'm skeptical of all the things they investigated, because Lorraine still insists that the Amityville haunting was genuine (wasn't that a confirmed hoax by the people who lived there?)

With Miguel Ferrer? based

Anyone who fashions themselves as a "psychic detective" as Lorraine did/does sets off my bullshit alarm. At that point, they can dispense with any and all objective data and start going on about "sensing presences" and crap like that, which no one can verify. The best paranormal investigators are the ones who keeps psychics the fuck out of it. Same reason why Hanz Holzer's stuff sucks; he always dragged psychics into his investigations.

all paranormal investigators and psychics are frauds Not sure if they ever confirmed Amityville was a hoax. I think one of them actually claims that they left stuff out of the story.

one of my favorite films of all time

even the imperfections make it perfect

I thought the homeowners who first reported activity said that they got drunk and thought up a haunting. I remember seeing that somewhere.

While they might be frauds it wouldn't surprised me if they believed their own bs, live a lie long enough and you'll be convinced it was always the truth

Most of it stems from Ronald Defeo's defense plea that he heard voices and was "possessed" into killing his family. Which was bullshit, but he stuck by it all through his prison sentence.

I'm 99% sure Lutz never admitted to it being a hoax. The only quote from him about hoaxes I can find is him saying "if it was a hoax we could have come up with something better". Obviously its bullshit but I don't think anyone ever admitted to it.

>In 1979, lawyer William Weber reportedly stated that he, Jay Anson, and the occupants "invented" the horror story "over many bottles of wine"

From the Ed and Lorraine Wikipedia page under amytiville section has a link to article in there

>it's a sinister close up scene

Yeah I read something like that

youtube.com/watch?v=1oMSE8VUadA

Del Toro's horror short from he was still a journeyman in Mexico is surprisingly fun and Twilight Zone-y/Suspiria-ish

this wavers between amazing and looking like an educational video

I wish jason would kill me for all the things i've done wrong while I'm fucking a hooker.

Carnival of Souls is like Silent Hill if it didn't get stupid. It can be slow at times, but it moves way quicker than a lot of the horror movies of its era. A lot of great imagery.

not full horror but has some great horror sequences like the bathroom

I feel like Del Toro should be a character designer or set designer or something like that and not a director. His visual aesthetic is great but his movies always suck.

lol, he's gonna win best director this year, doubt he'd ever quit

I've been watching this series.

It's not particularly good, and the continuity errors are triggering my autism

The Strain is brilliant horror schlock overall, but the pilot episode he directed is kino

>and the continuity errors are triggering my autism

It's best to view the Leprechaun series as an anthology, where each film follows a different leprechaun (who happens to be identical to all the others).

i want him to do a whole black and white luchador horror movie

Gonna watch Willow Creek later, what am I in for?

Ash vs Evil Dead comes back next week

Probably watch some more Expanse. I'm at episode 3. Preddy gud

So, I can get the entire Poltergeist: The Legacy series for $30 on Amazon. I've never seen an episode of this show. I know it's one of those Friday the 13th: The Series situations where the show has nothing to do with the movie, but I liked F13 the Series. Is Poltergeist: The Legacy any good?

Nightmare detective 1&2 very creepy and somewhat original

gotta be selective about which horror movies you watch these days

the problem with these horror comp movies is that one story is always much better than the other stories

planning to watch martyrs. what am I in for? already seen serbian film

leprechaun in the hood is GOAT blacksploitation-horror kino

youtube.com/watch?v=hEzyoeRuxYk

Absolute KINO.
Must see if you love weird horror

It's a good torture porn, much less gratuitous and more consistent theme and plot-wise than a serbian film and most of the entries in the genre
What kind of weird? Troma weird or Carpenter weird?

I was waaaaay too young when I saw this, and it ruined me for years. There was a big heat vent in the floor of my house and I was terrified to even look at it because of this movie.

That makes sense too. I always just figured that the movies aren't a complete life story for him, he does stuff between the movies too. The movies aren't even in chronological order, seeing as In Space is in the very distant future, I wonder which others aren't too?

>Brain Damage

My favorite Henenlotter flick. Basket Case 1-3 and Frankenhooker are great, too. Man, that guy was like if Lloyd Kaufman didn't fuckin suck.

Did you see bad biology? You might like it. Hannenlotter caught cancer while filiming and still finished it like a boss.

I know it fucked you up, but being a TV movie Don't be Afraid of the Dark is actually a GREAT "kids horror film". It's inoffensive in content but very spooky regardless, so you can show it to kids with a clean conscience. Sorta like The Gate or Critters.

I actually didn't know he'd been making movies so recently until I checked his Wikipedia the other day. Good to hear it holds up; I'll have to check it out.

well, it holds up about as much as a flick about a sentient penis can, I am pretty surprised that it doesn't get memed on Cred Forums more often. The main chick is hot and it has Vinnie Paz fingerfucking a face-pussy... It is what it is.

Hush (2016)

Deaf woman in her house gets stalked by kille.

could a cinematic horror universe work?

That's what The Conjuring is doing.

>could a cinematic horror universe work?

There's already been two:

>Universal monsters (the original Golden age stuff)
>Toho monsters (the Showa era when all the movies intersected)

Mind you those were all done haphazardly and the continuity between films tended to be an afterthought, but both of those "cinematic universes" produced great films and crossovers.

sure, If the movies are set in the same place but different times forever, you could have one "classic" horror film or whatever at the end of which some bigger evil is released that causes the zombie apocalypse or whatever and after that you could have a post-apocalyptic road trip style film for instance. The 'trick' would be to make the references to the previous films subtle and shit so you could still appreciate every film on its own.. The thing prequel was terrible at this.

The mummy was an attempt to bring it back but it failed

was a fun movie

I was actually talking about this with my friend last night. I think Tobe Hooper accidentally created a masterpiece in the original TCM. I think it's the greatest and most perfect example of horror films there can be. Hooper thought people would perceive it as a black comedy though..so he must have a weird sense of humor. Regardless of how it happened, that film has an atmosphere unlike any other I've seen.

was too forced

Just Saw Honeymoon last night. Absolute slow burn Kino. The actors are ok but the setting and story made it really unnerving. When something is off about a character and they deny it to the point it gets hysterical, that will always be more spooky to me than a monster of slasher.

>. Hooper thought people would perceive it as a black comedy though
sauce on this? that would be almost as fucked as wiseau thinking the room is a serious drama

>According to Tobe Hooper, The Texas Chain Saw Massacre is a black comedy. He’s always seen it that way, but the masses that referred to it as one of the scariest movies ever made did not.
wickedhorror.com/features/retrospectives/texas-chainsaw-massacre-2-set-apart-original-worked/
It was definitely an accidental masterpiece. The 2nd film is fine, but no one would be talking about it today if that had been what the first was.

wow, that's so fucked. I wonder what the punchlines were in his mind. Headcheese? Bitches in Freezers? Cannibalism?

A Dark Song is such shit, why couldn't they have just called the ritual something other than the Abra Melin, an ostensibly real ritual whereby an aspirant basically reaches enlightenment and mastery of the world but it's apparently been achieved by some total fucking dickhead that acts like a stupid child.

I haven't really seen any horror movies in a long time but I want to get back into them and catch up on what I've missed in the last few years. What do you guys think about It Follows and Babadook? Everyone says they're good so I think I'm going to watch them

Only thing I didn't like about It Follow (no spoilers) was the ending. It felt pointless and devoid of real tension given the circumstances. Otherwise, it was very good.

Babadook was good, too, though it also has an ending "problem". You take the film at face value through the whole thing but suddenly the ending tries to deliver some metaphorical message and the approaches don't blend. Still real good for atmosphere. and some excellent character work, manipulating you into hating and liking characters at strategic points.

this

There are people who unironically reccommend I Am Not A Serial Killer? Oh man.

How far back are you going to look?

If theres a horror discord server here can I please get an invite?

If anyone wants to get creeped out I suggest watching pic related. Very few films have ever genuinely made me afraid; (The Shining, Alien, REC 1 & 2, Audition, Tale of 2 Sisters, first half of Noroi: The Curse are the only movies that have fucked me up) but I remember watching this film in the day-time a few years back and it gave me chills. One of these evenings when I'm alone I'll have to give it another go.

same

Both pretty decent desu. I agree with about the Babadook though. If you take the movie as it is it's pretty good, but the shoehorned metaphor kind of fucks it up.

A film that I really liked that flew under the radar was Green Room. Kind of toes the line between thriller and horror but pretty fucking scary and gory at parts. Also, it had Patrick Stewart and Anton Yelchin (RIP).

I didn't really care for the movie, but that one scene, made me tremble like a motherfucker. The ending was also pretty creepy as well.

Curse has been my favorite.

I know its the most hated, but it scared me to death when I was a kid, and just the whole atmosphere and music was a lot scarier. Michael looked less human, and like I said the music sounded like the soundtrack of hell.

Also the scene where he kills the grandma was the scariest for me when i was a kid. Just because it happened during the day when you'd normally think you're safe. And the grandpas death was fucking scary cause it happens in a creepy ass dark basement with the power out.

I could go on about the scary ass kills in this, the story was fucking weird and i didnt care for it, but every scene with michael was probably the most scariest hes been out of all the halloween movies.

Hideaway

I prefer to pretend for timeline 2 that resurrection didn't happen, and it ended with H20

I love hammer. Captain kronos is fantastic.

thank you based user

>F13th
>only solo q in match of 7 people on discord
>die early on, all laughing at me, chads and women normalfags
>come back as tommy
>shoot girl with gun, run over 2 of the (real life) chads, stun jason chad 2 times with knife and 3 with bat
>escape while making farting noises
>gg ez ;)
>"screw you bud ya fuckin asshole"
>"virgin loser" ect insult barrage
>kicked back to menu as one woman is pissy fussing at me
suck it

FUCK wrong thread
pls no ban