Why are we supposed to sympathize with a replicant who selfishly chases a fragment of a memory all for his own goals...

Why are we supposed to sympathize with a replicant who selfishly chases a fragment of a memory all for his own goals, lies to and disobeys his human superiors, isn't bothered by having his human coworkers murdered one by one, slights his own kind, mercilessly murders multiple innocent drivers who were just doing their job in transporting Deckard and Luv, and strangles Luv despite her letting him live previously?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6iqmIoHL74Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because his ending mirrors the videogame players favorite cartoon
feels bro
ae s the etic

>his ending mirrors the videogame players favorite cartoon
Drive??

The conflict of wondering whether or not you should sympathize with a robot is what the whole movie is about, user

Replicants are not robots. They're vat-grown humans with Gattaca-style genetic modifications.

Wallace please

>“All the best memories are hers...”
>“Why? Who am I to you?”

This is the emotional apex of the film and I was surprised to learn how many people miss the nuance and importance here: As far as K’s memories are concerned, Deckard is his father. If there’s anything the first film taught us, it’s that we are but a collection memories. Implanted or not, they are real in the mind. Remember that line earlier in the film, from Deckard to K: “to love someone you have to be a stranger”? This moment is a direct callback to that. K’s smirk says it all. By saying nothing, he shows his transformation; his ability to love selflessly. And given all the references to fairy tales throughout the film, it is fitting that our Pinocchio has become a real boy by the film’s end. K sitting on the stoop, watching snow fall around him as special unique snowflakes fall on his hand only to melt away forver is also foreshadowed earlier in the film. The significance here being the dichotomy between K and the girl. She is “real” yet she lives in a bubble with fake snow and in isolation. K, the “skinjob”, has been the one to have lived a full life, complete with bouts of Luv and Joi.
So, as ever, Blade Runner is utterly existential in its message - it is how you live that truly matters.

because they killed his waifu

>despite her letting him live previously
She didn't. She left him to die, she didn't know the resistance or whatever they're called were going to come pick up K

it's a movie, he acts like a human, you're a retard, it's ok they have pills for your condition

Because like us, he lacks a sense of purpose in life, because like us, he is lonely, because like us, he ends up falling in love with an illusion and because like us he has a bit of hope which is then mercilessly crushed.

K lives a soul crushing existence, believes he can escapes said existence and has said belief crushed
I see a lot of myself in K

>Q: Why didn't Luv kill K when she abducted Deckard?
>DV: The thing is, for her, he isn't "left" there - she thinks he will die. The truth is, there was a scene that was cut out of the movie where it was obvious that she was killing him. She was doing something, but it was so violent that I said "alright, alright, I have to kill some darlings, I have to remove that, it was way too violent." But K's left for dead there. She could have finished him but that would have created problems for the rest of the story [laughs].

>She could have finished him but that would have created problems for the rest of the story [laughs]
Instead of having a character be well-developed and do the logical action, he changed the character so it would fit the narrative. Through Luv is shown as cold and calculated, and this is all thrown away in this one scene when she for no reason decides to spare K. Villeneuve is a hack.

Nice pasta. Why should anyone argue against your points when you having nothing original to say yourself?

>Why are we supposed to sympathize with a replicant who selfishly chases a fragment of a memory all for his own goals
Aren't we all?
>lies to and disobeys his human superiors
Aren't we all?
>isn't bothered by having his human coworkers murdered one by one
He isn't aware any of them are dead.
>slights his own kind
Yes, that is the theme of the film, scraping the shit.
>mercilessly murders multiple innocent drivers
There can only be one driver.
>strangles Luv despite her letting him live previously
She didn't, Villeneuve has cut a scene of Luv doing extremely violent things to K like stomping his chest until his insides rupture that definitely imply that she is leaving him dead there, but he cut it out because he's a pussy. That's why you see K fucked in pic related scene far more then when we last saw him.

>Through Luv is shown as cold and calculated,
Did you miss the part where she killed K's boss out of sheer butthurt despite that going against her orders? She even says she's gonna lie to Wallace about it. Luv is simply not cold and calculated but sadistic. Same reason she kills Joi. I suppose it enforces the dichotomy between her and K. Both are starting to develop human traits and breaking out of being emotionsless replicants blindly following orders, but K is developing positive emotions and she is developing negative ones.

I wrote it, so it's entirely original. I post it everytime someone blatantly misinterprets the themes of the that scene and the film itself. Feel free to refute anything

Cowboy bebop! The orginal 2049.

She kills mercifully multiple times in the film (bombs the scavengers, kills the morgue guy, kills Lt. Joshi, etc). Her character is show throughout to be cold and calculated, so it's incredibly out of character for her to not simply crush K right there and then and move on. It's a cliche "villain spares the protagonist" moment, and lowers the film as a whole when Villeneuve himself commented that it was done solely to further the plot because the script was poorly written.

let's see how long until this thread inevitably becomes just an autist screeching central of neverending "no YOU ARE REDDIT REEEE" from both sides

>that it was done solely to further the plot because the script was poorly written.
that was a joke user

He lived under an illusion of love and purpose, only to find it was all a lie. He knows he's an artificial human from the get go but as the movie goes along, he comes to terms with the fact that everything in his life was artificial too. In the end he finds a purpose in his mission, an arbitrary one, but he fulfills it and that's real.

Also "sympathize" sounds like "likeable" in the context of your post. If that's what you need to enjoy a movie go back to rddit, or just kys, it's all I can say

Cya space gay boy

>"villain spares the protagonist"
Like Roy Batty or worse?

No!

>Did you miss the part where she killed K's boss out of sheer butthurt despite that going against her orders?
That is itself calculated, as it's a thin line between getting away with it and Wallace striking her down. It's not impulsive whatsoever. Maybe her being sadistic would explain her letting K live, but not when you consider the importance of her mission, and the danger K poses. Why would she take any chances at all, especially knowing K is one of "our products" and thus her being aware of his incredible resilience due to being a replicant?

>It's not impulsive whatsoever.
her tearful face and angry, breakin voice said otherwise. she's clearly extremely aggravated that the child was killed and it's open to interpretation how much of that is based on the fact that wallace won't like that or that luv herself as a replicant has some vested interest in such a child existing. and why does K pose a danger at this point? that's never established. he's a replicant who does what he's told. his sole purpose was to lead them to deckard, from that on he's useless to them. there's nothing about his character screaming "oh no he's gonna get on a revenge mission and kill us all to free deckard". he's useless trash at that point. the fact that he goes to save deckard despite having no gain from that is what completes his character arc in the first place.

Because you never seen a miracle

youtube.com/watch?v=6iqmIoHL74Y

because we all saw cowboy bebop and found funny the sequel of Blade Runner actually copies an anime.

Because of the exact reasons you just listed moron.

Evidence that men are all about muh feelings