Why is this so highly rated? It's just an incredibly average holocaust story

Why is this so highly rated? It's just an incredibly average holocaust story.

Keep in mind holocaust media wasn't much of a thing when it was being written, Schindler's list and all that came out well after Maus

Because holocaust content brings in accolades from critics who feel they have to give it a good review to show how compassionate and good they are to people. The whole SJW craze is this holier then though mentality gone on overdrive

I disagree, the original holocaust story has many plot holes. This one is much more uniform

This - plus the medium. I believe it actually came out before Sandman became a thing, so it was one of the first, non-superhero (e.g. Watchmen) related GN that both sold well and was reviewed by 'legit' sources, in those days when places like the New York Times were taken seriously even by hicks in the flyover overs and NRA card toters.

>that weird ass eagle emblem that says PROTECT WHAT YOU HAVE in prisoner on the hell planet
it's never been explained. feels slightly creepy and enigmatic.

>Because holocaust content brings in accolades from critics who feel they have to give it a good review to show how compassionate and good they are to people

Barry Windsor-Smith said this about Maus in the Comics Journal. He also trashed Joe Kubert's Fax from Sarajevo about the Bosnian War

They made us read this in 7th grade and everyone thought it was boring

white guilt makes idiots trip over themselves to praise anything about the holocaust

it's just a shit story about cats and mice

I can understand not liking it, but how is anything related to the holocaust boring?

Yeah, it might not be anything special now but when it first came out Maus was a huge game changer.

Half of it is the Holocaust
Other half is Spiegelman trying to deal with his father who while a survivor of the Holocaust, is still portrayed as a shitty human being

He was right. I'm jewish and I'm sick and tired of holocaust crap. None of it's even well made anyway.

The panneling is really nice

I like Life is Beautiful

Critics don't praise it for the other half. So the point still stands.

You guys got to read a graphic novel in 7th grade? I was forced to read a lame book about a boring girl and her rape and a book about some blind kid liking oranges

>Other half is Spiegelman trying to deal with his father who while a survivor of the Holocaust, is still portrayed as a shitty human being
Huh, thats an interesting aspect that most of these kinds if stories ignore by trying to paint the victims of having basically no flaws. Like how anne franks diary was heavily censored to remove stuff about her sexuality and bisexual desires and how her cousin told her to stop harassing.

Life is Beautiful started out really funny. And then it turned to shit once the holocaust part started. Didn't work as a drama at all.

>I was forced to read a lame book about a boring girl and her rape
What kind of god awful school makes 7th graders read about fucking rape?

Florida, my dude

It's also worth remembering that Spiegelman had a long history as a cartoonist before Maus. He was in the underground in SF starting in the late 60s, and was a major figure all through the seventies and eighties. Maus was an earnest expression of events that people tended to not discuss with such frankness at the time. It was contemporary with Shoah, which was the first major documentary on the subject. Basically, it was, for its time, innovative, but has been copied and re-copied and homaged and homage-copied so many times since then that it seems nearly boilerplate.

The same applies to a lot of works or artists of any given medium. The Beatles practically invented using the studio as a musical instrument, but that's become so infused into pop and music at large that we barely recognize music without it as anything other than 'folk' or 'classical'.

Figures

Are you seriously using the pan pizza logic that original works become unimportant after so many things copy them?

You just answered your own question

Yeah Spiegelman was the highbrow end of Underground/Alt comics, where as Crumb was his polar opposite reveling in the obscene. Raw vs Werido

>incredibly average
Because they're a dime a dozen.

He was talking about public perception, not merit or quality

So i just found out the guy who wrote maus made the fucking garbage pail kids

Everything Is Illuminated is an incredible movie, you shut your whore mouth.

see

SJW furries

the loudest combo ever

You mean the Seinfeld Effect?

Knew Maus was a big deal but didn't know this context. thx

>Son of Saul
>The Pianist
>Not well made

its become a bargaining chip. obviously. you can show a moral superiority in a public platform or media by pretending to express it some sort of serous way

jews dont even matter. they actually dont even value jews. all they see is hitler as a cheesy evil icon and americrap identity politics and themselves standing the moral high ground

>Won't somebody please think of the children

Usually when schools are teaching about rape these days it somehow is implanting the idea that all men are evil misogynist rapists to impressionable airhead women. And you know what they become later in life.

>found this in an abandoned apartment one day
>briefly wondered why some crackhead would own it then threw it in the trash
did i make a mistake

Muslims are regressive technologically and culturally hating homophobic savages, and the fact the left is defending them solely for being brown shows how the american democrat party needs to be gutted from the inside out

>Other half is Spiegelman trying to deal with his father who while a survivor of the Holocaust, is still portrayed as a shitty human being
That was honestly the most interesting and heart-wrenching part of the book for me

Yes.

I don't see how a book is resisting, unless he has some secret campaign to promote illiteracy.

>local TV series about a secret agency that controls time travel macguffins and enforces the time line's security
>literally the third episode onwards is about stopping the nazis in their time from getting one of these macguffins and changing history
I had such a hearty laugh at that time for how predictable that was.
I don't really care how they portray nazis, but the whole trope has just become so extremely played out that everytime I see nazi fuckers onscreen all I can think of is how unoriginal and boring the next chapters/episodes/arc is going to be. It's so cheap an easy to use them nowadays, and so, so incredibly boring.

lol, you do realize that like every middle eastern person thinks the Palestinians are worthless trash, right?

The vacuous hole that is jew victim complex.

No please. Don't start again.

Do it, ive had a horrible night and need something funny for once

You are right user

Oh yeah and we need a drawfag to recreate this painting but add a recently-emerge-from-hiding pregnant Anne Frank softly touching the flag of her rescuers

WOT IF JEWS WERE MIEC AND HITLER WAS A CAT
FOKIN MENTAL INNT

post the sauce at least

Is she carrying goku's baby?

Swastikas sell

As a Cred Forumsfag, Maus is unironically one of my favorite comics. Sure I find it difficult to reconcile it with some of the things I've learned from browsing Cred Forums but it's still a fine story. I like that it acknowledges those human quirks of Vladek, like he's actually a bit of a miser and goes far just to save a few cents like when he tries to return opened groceries at the store and has to browbeat the manager while Art is pissed off that his dad is acting like a stereotype, or when the entire book is about Vladek lamenting the discrimination towards Jews in WW2 Germany yet lacks the self-awareness or care to see he's doing the same thing by being racist towards the so-called "svartser" who just wants a ride into town.

never understood why the polish pigs in it were anit jewish and seemed to be happy under nazi rule, when in real life, nazis were killing poles left and right. The characters are ok, some are even good. Like lets say Vladek. But the over all feel of the whole thing feels like holocaust masturbation.

I want my eyes to stop working and my brain to turn off, just for a bit

>with some of the things I've learned from browsing Cred Forums
You don't learn anything in Cred Forums, take all the "HAPPENINGS" and conspiracy theories too seriously in there and all you manage to do is kill your own brain cells, its Cred Forums with a theme of politics attached to it, lot of fun saying something you wouldn't get away with in real life conversations but thats it.

Well the happenings never happen, that much is true, but there's a good portion of what Cred Forums says that's actually somewhat accurate. I don't just blindly follow everything that's said over there, I supplement it with independent research

Average is still well above the quality of most holocaust stories.

Based. This is why oscar bait movies are always about holocaust, slavery or dying children.

>but there's a good portion of what Cred Forums says that's actually somewhat accurate.

99% of things said in Cred Forums are false or shitposting. Like Malkavians theres a seedling of truth amidst all the bullshit, sure. Doesn't change the fact Cred Forums is mostly wrong about everything most of the time. The place is mostly used by everyone to scream nigger and jew out loud because they can't do it anywhere else. Politics in general is a shitty discussion subject so when you mix in shitposting in it you get a concoction of pure diarrhea which is hilarious to read but damaging to your brain if you actually take it seriously.

It's very well adapted to the comic format? There are tons of great pages in Maus.

Seems like you need to ignore the 99% of Cred Forums that is shill or slide threads and pay attention to the 1% that actually matters then. No one gives a fuck about the countless "defend this Cred Forums" and "this isn't raci-" threads

I know it's meant to be symbolism to portray Jewish people as rodents because that was the intent of Nazi's, to desribe them as pests with too much privilege, benefiting while Germany was still suffering after the war. But isn't it weird to describe people as rodents in a positive light when you want people to be sympathetic? I never understood that reversal technique, all it does is make people care about rodents I guess.

i like seeing cartoon animals in dire situations

that show was never funny though

Sauce?

Hey that orange book is good. No idea what that other book is though. (Plus I read that book in 6th grade)

Because it's not just a holocause/WW2 story.
It's also a great story about a fucked up father/son relationship.
Leave me now Richieu, I'm tired

Thought my class was the only one. My teacher said she went with the second one because it had action and thought we'd get bored by the wordiness of the first one.

furries

/his/fag did a couple requests last year. Sadly no one's heard from him since. For all we know, the Gestapo got him in his attic.

Some say the father is Peter van Pels, some say it's Charles II of Spain, some say it's Bomber Harris, others claim it's Nathan Bedford Forrest. No one knows for sure.

I never fucking got this, Muslim's culturally stand against everything SJW's believe in, they're some of the most conservative people on earth to the point of making legitimate inbred hillbillies look downright progressive in comparison, why the fuck do SJW's support them so hard?

>why the fuck do SJW's support them so hard?
Because all they care about is furthering goals they believe in (feminism, victimizing men, etc) and they can use minorites as a weapon against these men for saying that they “oppressed” them, regardless if these people theyre defending are thuggish backwater homophobic pedo worshipping feral beasts.

It's supposed a story from Vladek point of view. Of course his perception of reality is not an entirely accurate either.

Fun fact, Spiegelman tried to sue that movie because he felt it was a "blatant ripoff"

Isn't that the movie Cred Forums calls illegal immigration-promoting Jewish-Bolshevik propaganda?

I wouldn't blame him, it's a piece of shit except for the animation, which is spot on.

Anne Frank's diary is censored? It's still heavily sexual and goes too far into detail about her menstrual cycle. I didn't want to read it in middle school because it was so disgusting and I didn't see the point in reading it. I wasn't even politically aware at the time, I just thought reading some dumb bitch's diary about going through puberty while having to hide from Nazis was boring as fuck. Anyway, the whole thing seems like something I would be incredibly embarrassed about if I was a girl and my father sold my very private diary for sweet, sweet dosh after my death. The connotation of it being sold for profit puts a bitter taste in my mouth.

>gay immigrant muslim furry

too many sjw entitlements lmao

>Anne Frank didn't actually die after the war, she just fucked off into the woods somewhere and managed to get into a partizan group
>She never revealed she was alive simply because she didn't want to be associated with her now public diary
Tbqh I'd totally read a comic about it.

Nah, i like the alternate ending where she became a sex slave to a bunch of SS officers in argentina and they grew to love her

/k/ did a short story where Anne Frank is nine months pregnant and shoots Nazis with a sniper rifle

I really hope you guys have actually read the work. It really is excellent, I can't gush over it enough. I had to read it for school in the tenth grade and I fell in love, it was my first introduction into Cred Forumsmics.
That's not true in the slightest.

Im just saying thats why alot of holocaust stories get made now. I made because the entire part about his dad being a horrible prson sounds interesting

Her diary gave me a pregnancy fetish

I like the one where she’s pregnant and gets rescued by Confederate soldiers

Of course they would, gotta love /k/
Honestly I actually like Jewish partizan stories, it's nice to occasionally get something where instead of the whole movie just being sad jews yelling "I'm sad" you actually get some deciding "nah, fuck this, Imma kill all you faggots"

Because like the rest of the Holocaust, it's a well-written piece of fiction that can stir up emotions in the reader.

Because deep down, SJWs are marxists who may or may not know that they are infact marxist. They see the world in terms of class struggle where every form of identity can be defined as a class (that's the basic idea of intersectionnality).
Therefore, a brown muslim woman is hyper-oppressed because she is caught in struggle by her race (brown+black agains the dominant whites) her sex (oppressed women against the dominant men) and her religion (minority muslims oppressed by majority everythingelse)
They have no clear moral standards as the only thing they consider to be absolutely wrong is "oppression" by a dominant class. They hold no consistent position because their appreciation of any situation is completely dependent on the context. That's why to them muslims are a group that must be protected since they are a minority in some local context ; the fact that islam is the most widely spread religion in the world, the main source of terrorism worldwide, has a history of war and conquest and very much has supremacist views embedded in its principles is irrelevent : they are a minority oppressed class.

>Confederate soldiers rescuing Anne Frank
Please tell me you have a source

Same. Bielski partisans were some hardcore motherfuckers. Spent nearly 36 months in the bush and saved nearly 1,400 people in a region where the Jewish population was almost completely wiped out.

I'm writing one actually. I'll post an excerpt if you want to take a look at it.

This is why I loved Defiance.

The book "Destination ?" is the memoirs of an East-Prussian jew who after surviving most of the war and helping to rescue children from the Nazis, went back with Allied troops to act as a translator as they rounded up Nazi leaders for trial.

He then went on to become an actor and his first major role was an SS officer in Hogan's Heroes.

The creators of Hogan's Heroes actually went out of their way to specifically cast Holocaust survivors in most of the leading roles.

Better off calling it "Hogan's Holocaust"

I liked it for how unfiltered it is.
They were just hiding and trying to survive, not showing a life lesson of morality or build hope/resistance.
Hell often times you see all the characters seem like dicks.
It's one of the realest stories I've ever seen in a comic. Maybe the the realest.

his mouse wife is kind of hot