Was he a Mary Sue?

Was he a Mary Sue?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YhrfhQbY0K8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

no, he was old and had a lot of life experience.

Yes, that fucker should have never been able to find that goddamned tile, but despite all previous shown episodes showing his lack of an ability to find things it just magically turns out to be in his sleeve.
Fuck this show and its lazy writing, I hope it becomes lost media.

How could you even ask that? He fucked up a few times and was very humble and wise.

>wise and well-characterized
>made some serious fuckups in youth
>tragic backstory
>humble and unambitious
>underestimated by most characters
Yeah, a real Gary Stu.

He spent years blindly following a dictatorship

Extremely talented and charming people exist in real life my dude

>Old friends
>who don't want to kill me?
This is not the line of a Gary Stu.

No, he was a paragon. A character who was already at the end of their journey. His test was not about how he could develop, but how he could help zuko.

For that answer, if you were Toph I'd hug you

So the difference between them and a MS is whether you're willing to call them that?

I know you're baiting, but what kind of definition of Mary Sue do people even run with these days? As far as I'm concerned a Sue needs to be a) the protagonist and b) clearly the author's self-insert they use for wish fulfillment, but especially the second point seems to have been completely dropped. Being overpowered and lacking flaws doesn't automatically make a character a Mary Sue, it's just boring. It annoys me when terms get diluted because people are desperate for buzzwords to use against stuff they don't like.

It means anyone that user personally does not like

A Mary sue is for me someone who has no flaw in his character that would be dangerous to the plot.
So if you're a monster fighting badass with no fear but are a little bit shy when talking to other humans you are a mary sue
I look at you welcome to the wayne

A Mary Sue/ Gary Stu is the protagonist who is good at everything, knows everything and everyone loves him/her, never makes any mistake, and the worst of all, has a lack of personality thus making the viewer to identify with him/her

Hope it cleared your fuzzy knowledge of what a Mary Sue/ Gary Stu really is

No, he was just an old man that experienced a lot, both the good and the bad (mostly bad). He learned from his mistakes and had to lived with his failures, but that never made him bitter. He was what Luke Skywalker should have been.

youtube.com/watch?v=YhrfhQbY0K8

The difference you find it reasonable for them to pull off what they do.
A character who's basically introduced to be beloved by all and we're meant to agree that he/she is worthy of praise? Self insert Marysue.
A character who is shown to be respected and shows the power that you feel is respectable? Possibly just a badass character.

Side characters with no flaws don't seem to bother people

A Mary Sue warps the world around them to make the narrative fit their needs. Everything else is secondary.
People react to Iroh in universe in a way that is consistent with their characters, and the world never bends over for Iroh. So no, not a "Gary Stu".

Nah, he was a raging hypocrite, though.
>"Perfection and power are overrated."
>is a member of a powerful secret organization that helps out the most powerful person alive