Spawn

How come nobody talks about Spawn anymore?

because spawn, though looked awesome
had one of the WORST story executions ever seen in the industry
it took him 100 issues to kill male-bulge-yeah

thats 8 years of comics

Give it up, Todd. Stop making these threads.

Black too early.

edgy is not fotm

I didn't have a problem with that at all. I mean you're fighting the ruler of Hell. And like someone mentioned in another thread Marvel has so many weak, meaningless, easily subverted "devils" that it has no weight to the title. Mutants are just as capable of ruling hell as anyone.

I think the problem was an inability to grow the character in any real way. Nothing really affected Spawn or his situation. So if you read for any period of time you get pretty bored with the character. And then there was the suit which powered up and de-powered as needed to make whatever threat "challenging". I don't think McFarlane adapts to narrative change that well or has that many ideas so over time things just became really repetitive. And that just lead people to get bored with it.

I've been trying to read through Spawn but I just can't do it anymore. It's so boring. Even when he got his face back it was boring.

Lol

Power creep fucked up the comic. The original premise was that he was a hero who continuously got fucked over. It worked well when he was just a minion/pawn/slave of some devil but it stopped being interesting when he became more powerful than god. The death of the comics code didn't help either. When the big two started pumping out their own gory edge filled comics, Spawn just wasn't the unique snowflake he was anymore.

Big 90's character, that's why.

But they... haven't?... Todd Mcfarlane confirmed that they're doing a new Spawn reboot where he isn't the main focus. He'll be more of a ghost-like figure, hiding in the background. The main focus of the film will be a detective (Twitch?) seeing Spawn's influence on our world/trying to solve the crimes/murders. It's supposed to be a hard R and have more of a horror-atmosphere to it.

God Todd, you have the worst timing nowadays. Back in the mid-2000’s when he first floated it, this idea was workable. Now you have Black Panther breaking records and films like Nolan’s Dark Knight showing that audiences will embrace a darker, more ground level superhero story. Spawn as a movie in 2018 needs to be produced along Deadpool lines - medium budget, hard R, very faithful to the source.

>dat hand anatomy
why is he giving himself a wrist lock?

kek.
black AND edgy, years before it was a thing!

Spawn was one of my favorite characters when I was a kid, but only because the original toy like was so dope (before McFarland toys became barely articulated statues. )

I lived in a small town with limited comics access so I really only had an occasional actual issue and the comics with the first line of toys to go by. And news about him in wizard. (My only source of comic books was a gas station that would just get a random assortment of issues every week, but they always bought wizards for some reason. I have a box of like half of the ninties run at my folks. )

Either way, cut to a few years ago and I dl'd the first 100 issues of spawn. Holy shit what a nightmare. There are literally entire issues where he does nothing but monologue. I don't think anything actually happens in the first year of the book. The capullo art has it's charm, but the pacing was shit. I think I stopped around 20 or so.

I think it's basically only worth talking about as a relic of its time, but the book itself isn't good.

I heard the tv show was great

I do

it's really not. honestly it's pacing is terrible, he just kinda sulks in alleyways and hangs out with hobos.

Never saw it, I do know it had Keith David as spawn which is a fucking awesome casting choice. I remember seeing stills in the aforementioned wizard magazine and they looked cool.

It doesn't help that it was fucked over by Todd's bungled attempt at making a shared Image Universe when the line first started, which exposed the inherent weakness of trying to create a universe in which all characters are creator-owned. Now there's huge chunks of the earlier stories and arcs that're unusuable because Todd and Image don't own the rights to the characters involved anymore.

The TV show was actually straight-up superior to the comic in almost every way. Shame it was cancelled so soon.

It is, ignore this user - .

I like the first 20-30 issues. After that it becomes rather plodding as clearly Todd had an idea for a story with a definite end but kept it going due it becoming such a huge money-spinner. I think it would have been better thought-of if it had been 80 issues and ended.

Because it's not Marvel or DC.

If they bought Spawn it would be marketed and pushed and would a top property again instantly

Why is Todd such a fucking faggot? Just give the rights to adult swim to do a new animated series instead. It would actually get done in the next 10 years unlike a feature film

Eh personally I'm glad this movie isn't going to be a typical superhero movie. They did that once and it was shit. Doing Spawn as a horror movie is interesting and could work. Plus will probably make more money which is always one of Todd's concerns.

That's fucking stupid. Spawn is not horror. He's fantasy. Also, the main character who is the fucking name of your comic is shafted to be a cameo in his own movie? This is why we aren't ever going to get a new Spawn movie, you idiot Todd.

who cares about a nightwatch rip-off?

>Spawn is not horror. He's fantasy.

It gets edgy enough to be counted as horror.

Nothing really happens : the series

You see, when your comic plot has a deadline (The Judgement day) you most follow two paths
1 - Launch issues only from time to time, adding a little piece on the chronology, tickling the clock a little more, like they did with Hellboy.
2 - Launch weekly issues, but with legit new entries, twists and changes on the master plan of the Bad Guy

Spawn instead did neither. Instead created only spectacular fight scenes that ultimately lead up to nowhere. To add even more to the offense, the Judgment Day never came, instead we only got retarded prequels, like Medieval Spawn.

Gothic fantasy. It's like saying Hellboy is horror because demons n shit. Spawn isn't there to be Pinhead and wrap you up in chains. He's there for ass kickings and demon beat downs.

Yeah, while hunting for monsters killing serial rapists and killers and sewing their corpses in weird positions.

It stinks

you mean like the sam and twitch comic made by bendis?

Because it's not cool to point out he's the most successful black superhero of all time.

WWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Well he maintains some level of popularity if Injustice is anything to go by. People clamoring for this guy over DC's actual characters.

There's a difference between "demons" and "graphic dismembering".