Is there a canoncial reason why doesn't Dreddy ever takes off his helmet?

Is there a canoncial reason why doesn't Dreddy ever takes off his helmet?

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/file/vfmv7elcviay12j/
youtube.com/watch?v=i5EZaO1HPF4
belloflostsouls.net/2017/12/osprey-games-announces-new-judge-dredd-card-game.html
slowtorrent.com/details/judge_anderson_the_psi_files_tpbs_v01_v04_2012_2014_digital_empire_nem_
youtube.com/watch?v=W7TRF7jrSM4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

He does take it off they just don't show his face in comic.

He showers and shit like regular. When he gets patched up by medics he takes it off.

He's a literal Robocop by choice

That's the joke. A cop so determined to be DA JUSTICE that he can't even get out his helmet.

Something some idiots never get is how Dredd never advocated authoritarianism, in fact mostly times it makes sardonic fun of it.

At the same time, Mega City One is so fucked up that it would just fall apart or explode without the harsh enforcement of its absurd laws.

How the fuck is he not an advocate of authoritarianism?

One of his most famous quotes is "justice has a price, that price is freedom" or "IM all for rights, but not at the expense of order"

It think user means "Dredd" as in the series itself. Which is quite clearly satircal. Not the in-universe Judge Dredd character.

I love how utter bugfuck crazy the populace and the fads of Mega City are.

He's so handsome that it drives people to commit crimes when he takes his helmet off.

Kind of like an inverse Judge Fear.

It was too small for his head and it got stuck. He doesn't ask for help because he's too embarrassed to admit it.

Now what is the context of that lovely exchange?

He's disfigured. Some punks are horrified when they see him without a helmet.

I think he means Dredd the comic, not Dredd the character.

Someone should had lex steal the forty cakes.

Or maybe whenever he takes off his helmet and looks in the mirror he sees the face of Rico and he's like "Aww man"... and has a sad.

A sad as fuck story. Lemme share.

Oh. My bad. I feel silly.

Bless you user.

Dredd is so hard he can kill a man who has his face

Moments like this is why I love Cred Forums.

And the final page is Anderson has a rough life too.

>Some punks are horrified when they see him without a helmet.

It's just the shock. "Holy shit, you look just like Armand Assante!"

Who, by the way, was by far the best thing about that movie.

This is what made Dead End so harsh for me. After shit like this, after what her entire life has been, her just wanting to end it all felt dangerously understandable.

Hmmm.

Dredd's kind of like a prototype Space Marine. It's that type of world. Everything is awful,monsters exist and everyone is trying to kill you and the people you care for.

>four days without sleep
>literary would only need to wait ten minutes, then he would be refreshed
Goddamm, Dredd, I salute your dedication

What do we think about 'the Blessed Earth'?

Fantastic story. Showed her age well too. Then like a month later she's back to looking like a bombacious 20 year old again.

>10 years in the cubes for each cake, you bald creep!

Is she dead?

He doesn't need the whole face, he can kill a prep with only his CHIN

No Dredd saved her. She hung herself.

Look at this shit.

How come Dredd threads are always comfy as fuck, even by Cred Forums-standards?

Forgot image

what the drokk? all that time out in the cursed earth mutated his chin into it's own entity?

i was about to comment on how disgusting this is but then I remembered the Indian sewage divers were a thing.
anyhow thanks for sharing this user

Can Dredd save us?

They make us realize our lives are not that bad.
And hanker for human companionship.

i think we're all beyond saving.

Because Dredd's a man who screams relaxation.

If Dredd saved you hed still find something to put you away for 6 months at least.

He's kind of a real jerk

Is being held in the Cubes worse than today's prisons? Like can you get raped by fellow inmates, like muties and cyborgs and shit?

i always figured them as solitary blocks.

jesus fucking christ, he looks like a muppet

It changes based on artist/story.

Sometimes they are isolated in tiny rooms. Sometimes the rooms can be quite large with Windows.

In Mechanismo the criminals have a yard where they play basketball so I would assume you can raped like real life

Care to post it?
I promise this isn't entrapment for pirates

Protection from psi attacks

Insulting a Judge, 3 months in the Iso-Cubes.

>so I would assume you can raped like real life
I'm not sure you'd want to. Raping someone in prison these days cold land you plenty of extra time, or even change your sentence severely depending on state/place in the world.

Doing that in Mega city one? I doubt it'd end well.

>be a fa/tg/uy
>friend runs a Judge Dredd game using the Traveller system
>only runs one session
I just wanted to hand out sentences to perps...

The art got a little crazy at times in the 90's

>The originals? Poked out by some monstrosity in a future that never will happen.
>Don't ask.
I want to ask but I'm afraid of how many years I'll get in the cubes for doing it.

>tfw no open-world dredd rpg where you could deliver justice to the streets of the big meg

in that story, he also killed the chief-judge and himself!
technically an alternate version of them both, but still.

That game seems fun.

I love what I got to experience. Managed to roll a Psychic Judge, and found a drug den. What I really enjoyed was how it explicitly states that the goal is not to kill the perp, that you are a member of a large organization, and you can call on that for backup.

>it plays like a reverse grand theft auto, where the player is the police tryinh to stop often pointless and increadibly violtent crime

>That's the joke. A cop so determined to be DA JUSTICE that he can't even get out his helmet.
Have you actually read Judge Dredd?

The problem is players don't want to not be allowed to just run around killing people. Like the dude said it's reverse GTA, people wouldn't like that.

Sorry for the lack of storytime, but here you go:
mediafire.com/file/vfmv7elcviay12j/

City of the Damned. Good times.

Seriously why haven't they made something like this? hunting crime with extreme prejudice and copious amounts of overkill would be amazing.

Dredd advocates authoritarianism because it's the only way to keep the stupid masses in line and "safe".

The only problem is that the Judges are outright fascist and in the case of Silver, was so fucking fascist and evil, that he effectively made Dredd cross countless lines that ultimately led to Dredd going BSOD when he was forced to see the full-on collatoral damage that he personally caused, crushing the democracy movement in the late 80s (which led to Necropolis).

Since then, Ennis character assassination aside, Wagner has portrayed Dredd as someone who KNOWS the system is corrupt as fuck and built on lies, but that it's a necessary evil to which there is zero replacement available that can protect the masses just as well.

They did make a Dredd videogame. You could arrest perps in it.

He's not disfigured so much as ugly in those early stories. Dredd doesn't become outright disfigured until City of the Dead/The Dead Man, where he gets his eyes gouged out and later dumped into an acid like and irrevocably disfigured

>They didn't give them new clothes

How long do you think a young woman in only her underwear walking home in post-Chaos Day Mega-City One lasts?

Seems like an oversight of the Judges there.

>Ennis character assassination aside
redpill me, I missed that prog(s?)

Just recently read another story where his bionic eyes get taken out with an EMP.

It's really good and it's so similar to the Dredd movie in a lot of ways. And it came a year before.

Ennis' Dredd was kind of fanboy-y and not very good.

It's such a depressing world though. Nothing he's done in 40 years means anything. Everythings just as awful and there's no hope of things ever improving.

Every so often he has a nightmare or thought about that.

I love you

City of the Damned. Famous for wrapping up the entire Judge Child story (until Wagner revisited on the actual date of the prophecy in a one-off story) and infamous for being wrapped up when it was only about 1/3rd of the way through due to a combination of the art for one chapter going missing (forcing the chapter being redrawn literally at the last minute) and Wagner getting bored with the plotline of Dredd and Anderson stuck in a bad future with vampire Judges and demons

Was Mark Millar the worst Dredd.

He was insanely aggressive and basically broke the law all the time, would murder people at the drop of a hat and did cheesy one liners

I'm a Morrison fan and there's Millar stuff I like, but neither of them were great on 2000AD. The JSA threads did Zenith a while back and even that doesn't hold up so well.

Aren't Australian Mega-Cities super chill in terms of their judges? Like, "All our ancestors were perps, so no need to stomp your teeth out for stealing a pack of gum."

The only thing that makes them a dystopia is with all the radiation mutating shit you probably have psychic cassowaries and funnel webs the size of a fucking '91 Mercury Grand Marquis, and about as durable.

Why are Megacity citizens dressed up in armored jumpsuits? Isn't that like way too fancy for the average citizen?

I think it's just some classic Dredd comedy. Like you said, they probably got raped and murdered immediately off panel, but the Judges were just doing their job protecting the law. Law > citizens

Ayep.

Also famous for VAMPIRE HERSHEY.

They're also pretty corrupt going by Chopper.

Ireland/Emerald Isle is literally just like it is right now in real life.

At the very climax of the entire Democracy Saga, which was five years in the making and had basically shattered forever, the John Wagner/Alan Grant writing partnership that had made Dredd a huge commercial success? Wagner stepped down from writing the main Dredd serial in 2000AD one story shy of the resolution of the entire story. He effectively gave the franchise over to Ennis and told him point blank: "It's your strip now, I'm entrusting it to you and even going to allow you to decide how my magnum opus ends...."

Ennis basically decided to wrap up the entire story in the most "fuck you old man" fashion imaginable, having Judge Dredd (who's desire for the referendum to end the Judge System was so great that other judges targeted him for death; thinking if they killed Dredd, they could call off the vote) going on TV and demand the masses vote to keep the system in place. Which they did, in a low turnout election, due to the fact that many of the people in MC1 were too terrified of voting out of fear that the Judges would rig the vote anyway and kill/arrest anyone who voted to strip them of their power.

He then, with a smile, forced the head of the Democracy movement to debase and humiliate herself, affirming "Dredd is the law" and forcing the Democracy movement, who felt that the vote had to have been rigged, to stand down (leading to it morphing into Total War).

Wagner was so fucking pissed off that he wrote "America" as his response to Wagner fucking things up and among other things, once Ennis/Millar/Morrison ran Judge Dredd the strip into ground, basically took complete control over the book again and among other things, made his first arc back the restoration of Democracy in MC1, complete with the return of the mayor post and getting 2000AD to swear that they will never allow another Ennis situation happen again, as far as only Wagner being allowed to make ANY major changes to the franchise.

He replaced THE LAW with DA JUSTICE. That's all the answer you need.

Is it a fake theme-park run by the brits right now? oh, who am I kidding

A tourist trap for unusually stupid Americans?
Sounds about right.

This is pretty interesting. What happened between Wagner and Grant? That Alan Grant guy does some fantastic Dredd and especially Anderson stories.

Ah, thanks for the rundown. One more thing: what caused the rift between Wagner and Grant?

When was it ever not? Lol

Does the theme park thing in the comic ever even get mentioned or shown after the Ennis saga? The odd time they show up in Ireland they never really mention the whole theme park thing.

I tend to view Grant Morrison's as worse, because it has all the faults of Miller's without even trying to be interesting about it. He doesn't like Dredd, or even seem to understand the appeal, and it really shows (contrast with Ennis, who's showed by more recent writing that he does understand what makes Dredd tick but who let his fanboyism get in the way of good writing).

Then again, I'm not a huge fan of Morrison's work in general, so I could be biased.

Their Future Shocks are OK, generally speaking. I quite like Big Dave as well, possibly because of some hideous mental defect of mine.

Creative differences over the direction of the strip and how big of a bastard Dredd should be, basically. It all came to a head at the end of Oz, when Grant (I believe) wanted Dredd to shoot Chopper and Wagner wanted him to be let go. I've got several of the 2000AD/Dredd histories somewhere, I should be able to scan the pages if you want.

Why is Ennis such a giant cunt? Is it endemic?

>What happened between Wagner and Grant?
The short version is that Grant wanted to make Dredd more openly fascistic and villainous because Margaret Thatcher, while Wagner wanted to make him more antheroic and questioning a corrupt system that was no longer providing a clear and direct Law (for much the same reason).
Grant kept control over Anderson: Psi Division, which is why that title kept getting so fucking dark.

He's a Norn. They're inherently cuntish whether they're huns or pope-worshippers.

I'm going to get a lot of use out of this

While I won't argue that Ennis' solution comes off as fairly cheap and almost dismissive of the whole problem, I do want to note that Twilight's Last Gleaming came out in 1991. America came out in 1990. Ennis' run had barely started, and Millar hadn't even gotten in yet by then. So America wasn't really written as a response to any of those runs, it was just a secondary story that Wagner wrote to give the launching Megazine another Dredd strip by him, and also to play with all these themes that he was so interested in in a more comfortable format and without having to focus on Dredd.
As for Twilight's Last Gleaming itself, Dredd hardly does it with a smile. Sure, he's written as far more authoritarian and more in line with Alan Grant, but to me it works because that's the way he wants to do things: by the book. He chooses to put things up to a vote so he can, in his mind, "beat" Democracy at its own game instead of destroying it with the underhanded tactics that Silver and co used in the first place. It's still an absolute shame that after years of developing that arc it all got swept under the rug relatively easily to make room for more throwback-y stories like Death Aid and Judgement Day, but to me it's far from character assassination. And the fact that the turnout was so low is what keeps it ambiguous. Dredd doesn't care. If anything, the fact that the people chose not to vote reinforces his case. But we know how stupid Mega-Citizens are. Hell, the story itself shows it in the sequence where a cit is taught how to use the voting machine. And we also know the judges are purposefully keeping them stupid. So while it killed the democracy storyline of Dupree and such, it still retained enough ambiguity to keep it from being a complete victory for Dredd and company.

No. Several times people have committed crimes so they can go back to the cubes because they're safer and less crazy then the larger city.

>NERF Mavericks

Not gonna lie: I enjoyed Big Dave probably more than I should've.
>"DON'T BE A FOOL LIKE GALTIERI WAS!"

they literally pull nerf guns. gotta give the artist credit, at least they look like futuristic weapons.

Nerf is really popular on /k/, it's feasible that somebody made an actual firearm that looks like a nerf gun by the time it takes place.

I see your NERF guns and raise you Sombra's SMG, from two months ago in the Megazine.
Also, Savage was lugging around a Mattock from Mass Effect in the latest progs, but Goddard did a decent job of drawing over it.

Will she be back for the show lads?

That they haven't announced anything is weird. Not like shes got anything else going on.

I have no doubt that, if the show pulls through, Anderson will be there in some capacity. But heaven only knows if Thirlby will be up for it. Here's hoping they reach out and everything works out well, because holy drokk was she an amazing part of that movie. And it would be cool to see her do an Anderson that was maybe a bit closer to the original version, more jokey and flippant while still keeping that sympathetic core going.

I don't understand how she would turn down a starring role in a TV show.

The fuck else has anyone even seen her in since Dredd? Literally nothing.

I agree that Morrison's run is shitty, but, to be fair to the guy, Dredd is not exactly his cup of tea; for better or for worse, he likes to deal with conceptual and outright weird shit like The Invisibles. Writing something as (relatively) straightforward as 2000AD must have felt like kicking water uphill.

>those tits

Then he should have written Anderson.

Didn't he creates Psi judge Janus?

Sure did, and wrote her solo series. But for my money, it wasn't really as psychedelic and out-there as what you'd expect from him. Still decent fluff tho', especially the ones drawn by Paul Johnson.

Because not enjoying Dredd books gets you ten years in the cubes.

Grant became pissed off at how popular Dredd was and espousing the idea that the Judges were cool.

Grant pushed heavily for stories that made the Judges evil/doing illegal shit and outright fascist and anti-democracy. Wagner was OK with it, but soon realized that his partner had no real long-game for making Dredd and the Judges pure evil, as Wagner was trying to focus Grant's hate boner towards Dredd and the Judges into a long-running subplot about a Pro-Democracy movement and make Chief Judge Silver the main reason why Judge Dredd was suddenly doing horrible things (see the Democracy Protest arc, which had Silver order Dredd to stop the protests no matter what, with Silver ordering Dredd to break the law if necessary to do so).

The whole thing came to a head while writing Oz; Grant wanted the arc to end with Judge Dredd shooting in the back and justify it as Chopper being a criminal and basically deserving it. Wagner refused point blank to write said ending, pointing out that he wanted Chopper alive for future story usage (Wagner was hoping to do a spin-off strip for Chopper) and more to the point, that it would make Dredd a full-on villain and fans would hate Dredd forever for executing someone (in the back!) in cold blood out of spite, not justice. Grant said that he WANTED people to hate Dredd's guts and owned up to the fact that he considered Dredd a Nazi type fascist and wanted the Dredd fanboys to hate the character just like he came to hate him.

This spelled the end of the partnership, though they stayed together for another year to wrap up other projects/divide up existing projects, and set up Necropolis, which was supposed to pay off Grant's character derailment of Dredd

People commit crimes even with his helmet on. Just look at that one loony lady who thought he was her savior. Or DeMarco.

>Book of Law: Waterproof Edition
holy fucking shit

He's a conservative atheist who thinks society is turning men into sissies and shits on anyone who isn't significantly manly and who hates gays with a passion.

The only thing that keeps him from being a full-on pol-tard is that Ennis also supports bar/pub culture and wasting all of your money getting drunk on overpriced beer every night.

IIRC DeMarco only crushed on Dredd because she had a thing for Judges and fixated on Dredd, because of the fact that her precinct was a corrupt hellhole (which allowed her to whore around without any consequence, largely because she gave into the corruption around her) and she was happy that Dredd came along and restored said precinct to an orderly place that was free of corrupt judges doing as they pleased.

It wasn't until multiple rejections that DeMarco finally realized Dredd would never love her back that she gave up on him.

To be fair the Maverick is fucking awesome, way better than that rounded-off six shooter they replaced it with.

We don't talk about IDW here.

They are. That's why they're specifically called Iso-Cubes- isolation cubes. They're also a good indicator of when things are going to shit, Judges have to start doubling up people in the 'cubes due to running out of space.

>you probably have psychic cassowaries and funnel webs the size of a fucking '91 Mercury Grand Marquis,
Box-body Marquis aren't even that big, at least in comparison to the old LTD platform ones. I might be biased though, or maybe just have poor perception of vehicle size. Speaking of which, 2000AD bumper stickers when? Gimme a "HERSHEY 2020" sticker already.

>hates gays with a passion
Huh. I don't really follow the personal lives/opinions of writers and artists, but I've recently re-read The Boys, and from that I'd assume he had no problems with gays, since Hughie (who's supposed to be the, haha, straight man) goes on a few tirades every about Butcher calling them poofs/queers/etc. I suppose those parts might be editorial meddling/Robertson's influence.

The design changes a bit, but yeah, by and large they're isolated cubes, with only specialized prisons like Devil's Island allowing more mingling of general populations.

It was that and also DeMarco's huge daddy complex, which manifested first as rebellion by banging wotzisname, the asshole judge, and later by crushing mega hard on Dredd as an incorruptible figure of steely authority.
Something I really enjoy about them is that the final nail in the coffin wasn't just Dredd's rejection, but also him being totally OK with faking Volt's death after Doomsday Scenario. DeMarco figured she'd found a spark of humanity within Dredd when he took care of her, but in the end, realized he wasn't going to change and was always first and foremost a judge. With all the bullshit that entails.

I'll give you the first part, since Jimmy's Bastards seems to be leaning a bit much into old man yells at cloud, but... hates gays? The guy who wrote Midnighter celebrating after finding out everyone in the future was gay/bi? u wot?

>Hershey 2020: Because Nobody Else Has The Balls

Also acceptable: "I visited MC1 and all I got was this drokking bumper sticker" with a 500c fine for defamation of character of the city taped over top of it.

When do the original comics get good?

Depends on each reader. Some say it's the Robot Wars, the first long Dredd storyline. For others, it's the Luna stories, especially the ones by Bolland. Volume 2 of the Case Files, with the Cursed Earth and the Day The Law Died, is also a favorite early peak. And after that, volume 3 quickly sets into the pace of short stories with memorable antagonists like Judge Death and such, while Wagner and later Grant really settle in on the character and setting.

Bwaha, that's what you get for talking stomm!

Truly, an extremely relatable character. Both of them.

The fact there are no less than three different edits to that paragraph visible all with different kerning and anti-aliasing is bothering me way more than it should.

I don't know, this kinda implies disfigurement to me.

I find Dirty Frank the most relatable, except for the part where he's actually somewhat good at what he does.

This, there's an early comic where crooks make the mistake of breaking into his apartment and he takes them all out while taking a bath.

Well, it's a short one, and the artist recently passed away, so...

>Thanks for your help, control.
nice

RIP, Jim. Thanks for all the art.

Damn I was hoping this would crop up. Which case file is it in again?

>mega-city 1, 2 and texas-cit are formed from the United States
>only Texas Cit actually allows people to own guns
what happened to the 2A in-universe?

It's from prog 626, so I think it's in Vol 10, but I'm not sure.

The same thing that happened to every other law: the judges.
Also, some private citizens are allowed gun permits, usually if their job requires it (private investigators, security guards, etc.) or if they're Citi-Def. But the latter are reaaaaally stretching the definition of a "well-regulated militia."

Thanks, Memory's a bit fuzzy, and I didn't feel like hunting. Had to google when I posted

What game is this?

Man I love that art -- thanks for sharing!

Mongoose's Judge Dredd

Hey, couple weeks back I asked about some good 2000AD comics and someone recommended me Strontium Dog and I told you I bought the first volume

Just wanted to say I love this shit, probably more than good capeshit(not saying a lot I know), the small segmented fashion of the stories, consistent creation team and the black and white color scheme really draws me in, I'm gonna buy the rest as soon as possible, then maybe get into Nemesis the Warlock

Glad to hear, man! Hope you're strapped in OK, 'cause the next volumes only get bigger and better.
Also, while we're talking S/D: youtube.com/watch?v=i5EZaO1HPF4

Questioning a Judges Uniform choices OP?

SIX MONTHS IN THE ISO-CUBES!

>then maybe get into Nemesis the Warlock
Nemesis is my jam

Dredd, Goon and Hellboy are unambiguously good so we all agree on the basic question of quality and move on to finer detail.

What do they have in common that makes them so widely liked? A burly, gritty, no-nonsense protagonist?

>finer detail
Right. Finer detail. Right on. Exactly. Yuh-huh.

Well-developed settings, strong authorial voices, healthy supporting cast and main characters who can be fun burly punchy action dudes and also fully-rounded poignant tragic protagonists depending on what the story needs?

They deliver what they promise.

With a lot of media, the premise is enticing, but eventually falls flat. These don't.

The lack of shipwars also helps.

Are those Justice Dept-issued underwear? Wow, I'm not sure what the tactical purpose of thigh-highs are but hey, I'm not one to judge. That seems like an improper usage of helmets though and I don't even wanna know what the Boing!™ is for.

>The lack of shipwars also helps.
Well duh, most people try to stay out of the Black Atlantic.

Psis get special dispensation to wear sexy stockings I guess.

Maybe the boost in confidence amplifies their abilities

I have many questions about this panel.

He was buddies with Dillon
NOT a homophobe. Stop shitposting

>Duty Roster

>Go to work
>Go to work
>Go to work
>Go to work
>Go to work

Due to the highly stressful nature of their duties, Psi Judges get certain special dispensations. So under supervision, they're allowed to go clubbing or dance or have some fun. Some, like Hamida, are free to practice religion as well. It's been downplayed over the years, and the stricter regulations still apply, but yeah, Anderson can totally go out clubbing if she feels like she needs it.

I'll ask the question that always gets asked in these threads, but I never remember the answer: is there an omnibus that will show me everything I need?

The real trick is knowing that Dredd puts on the faceless authority figure role is just that, a role. The human underneath shines through sometimes and it hurts Dredd that sometimes he just can't solve a problem. Or that poor brain in a jar robot girl, nothing could've saved her....

Yep. The Judge Dredd Complete Case Files are big fat DC Showcase-sized books that collect all of Dredd in chronological order. That should be your starting point.

Sounds like they're worth it. Thanks!

The complete case files are indeed good but damn, the first 3 are by far the least interesting of the bunch, it feels like the better ideas kick in around #4 with the judge child and Unamerican Graffiti. Otto Sump gets a pass from me for being a fun little gag comic, plus Otto comes back and that's always nice.

Yeah, Classic Dredd for me starts to really hit its stride around the end of volume 3, with all the Bolland stories and Judge Death. Then 4-5 hit the peak and it stays there for an ungodly amount of time.
There's still great stuff in volumes 1 and 2, but the jump in quality of both writing and art in general is undeniable.

Does that mean it is possible to have carnal contact with a psi judge?

So Dredd is our guy?

Hahaha drokk no. Though that hasn't stopped Anderson before.

What if they're Wally Squad and you don't know it?

>Goon & Hellboy got a crossover
>No Dredd / Goon crossover

>never noticed the extra dots before
>sound effect is now BAP.P.P!
For what purpose

Those crazies all break the law eventually, so really he's just skipping the middle man here.

Yeah Fatties with bellywheels will never come true.

Moments like this make you realise Anderson's every bit as scary as Dredd by this point. They've both got the training and experience but whereas Dredd uses strength and sheer bloody-minded determination she's got the pre-cog flashes and mental NPC-detecting minimap/wallhacking in her head.

Bisley clones. Can't live with 'em and, unfortunately, back then nobody could apparently make a comic without 'em...

Sounds like an unstoppable force/immovable object kind of meetup. How could Dredd return to his own time/let Goon return to his, knowing that Goon is a criminal mastermind? Would he leave him be because Goon is the closest thing to the Law that his town has?

>I quite like Big Dave as well, possibly because of some hideous mental defect of mine.

Nothing wrong with Big Dave. After all, 98% of posters in 2000AD threads agree that Morrison and Millar got Terry Waites' characterisation 100% right.

These accents are a mite racist.

>I don't understand how she would turn down a starring role in a TV show.

Money, if the TV role sounds like dogshit, availability due to other, more interesting projects being offered...

Back to the Isocubes, creep.

>Maverick fucking awesome
More like always fucking jamming

So what is Dreddd drive, what keeps him going on what is basically Robo cop mode for an entire life in a place Ike mega city one?

Be aware that Robocop is essentially a Dredd parody at some points. They even directly ripped off some of the dialogue.

In general, Cursed Earth is consider the point "Dredd gets good". While not the first multi-part story (Robot Wars and the entire Moon arc where Dredd and Walter get assigned to the Lunar colony predate it), Cursed Earth was the first multi-part story to be truly epic in scope and scale, along with being marketed as such.

Cursed Earth was the starting point where the franchise would do a massive 5-6 month storyline for half the year and then spend the rest of the year doing one-off stories.

It was an excuse plot to get Anderson in party clothing.

Also, to explain why Anderson is so fucking glib and gets away with shit that any other Judge would get fired for, later writers (mainly Grant) established that the rules of conduct are much looser for Psi Judges.

They can have candy, read forbidden books outlawed by the Judges for possibly leading to people questioning the Judges and their authority, get nights off to go clubbing and shit, and have sex. Grant handwaved this by saying that the Judge system is TERRIFIED of the Psi-Judges and the potential of the Psi-Judges using their powers to stage a full-on coup. So they get special treatment/pampered so that they remain loyal to the Judge system for the sake of their perks and status as more equal than the average Judge.

It's also why Anderson hangs around with Dredd more than any normal human being would. Dredd's harsh exterior and take no shit way of doing things is a change of pace from hanging out with whiney weepers and self-absorbed quislings

Anyone got a scan of the Orlock arc where a bunch of sleeper agent Soviet teeps help Orlock escape and the ending of the story has Anderson, with zero hesitation or even debating alternate options, tell Silver they should murder the head teep that helped Orlock escape then then and there? And her marching off to do the killing herself, the second Silver greenlighted it?

He's a cop who will defend Mega City One until he dies.

He's a clone made to maintain order and justice.

>Something some idiots never get is how Dredd never advocated authoritarianism
How fucking deluded do you have to be to miss the fact that Dredd is a hardcore leftist propaganda?

Ah yes, NERF Mavericks.

The Naruto Headband of the steampunk community.

They only see what they, like, i.e. old school right wing authoritarianism, latch to that and ignore all the other parts they disagree with.

Americans have no grasp of UK politics because they have a dogshit two party system. A lot just gets lost on them. That said Farage in a Mega City 1 setting would be absolutely right

This guy's face just screams for the boot.

Yeah, but you gotta remember all the crazy shit that happens to MC1 on a regular basis.

Anybody that happy living in Mega City One is clearly insane and the Judges were right to take him in. That's where a lot of the anti authoritarian message of Dredd falls apart because Mega City One really is that bad

Judges dont get to have sex or candy? Wat. I dont remember any of that.

Dude, even tea and coffee is not allowed for anybody because they're stimulants. Judges aren't allowed to enjoy or use almost anything, unless you're a PSI.

holy shit

>male judge
>Has no lips

>Female judge
>Has black lips

>forgetting Judge Giant

don't project your shit on me normalfag, I've been alone for 27 years and I'll be alone another 27 if I can help it

Fancy a go, citizen?

Plus, Anderson is just kinda quirky like that. She likes to rile Dredd up a bit with bad jokes.

Before the depression anyway.

It’s worth the isocubes, but I am still afraid I won’t make it there without a terrible death.

Look how nice that art is. I don't think Ezqueera should ever be in colour. Or get someone else to colour his stuff. IM not a fan of the way he does it.

The funniest part of Dredd mostly being lefty propaganda is that the more fascist and horrible they make Dredd the cooler he actually is.

I don't really see Dredd as being any kind of propaganda, it's more like a parody with how the political/ideological stereotypes are taken to comical extremes.

I love Mrs.Gunderson. She makes me laugh every single time. The schtick never gets old.

Red Razors wasn't even that bad.

>that fucking face in the top right

>who hates gays with a passion.
Yeah, no.

>no more goon in general

So.... Uhh..... When this comes out are we all playing together? I have no friends ;__;

I don't know what it is but I also have no friends! Exclamation point!

It's the current staple of the american way of life.

>Work in thrift store
>Get hold of some folding design that isn't working
>Fix it, turns out the design is so shit it jams even when it's fine because you need to pump/insert mags in very precise positions (and wrecks the darts at the same time)
>Drop it back in
>Later find Maverick
>Put tape over a front part that sometimes snags darts
>Perfection

>parachutes are for poofs

Such a good joke, Millar felt the need to repeat it in the very first issue of The Ultimates!

Wasn't Robocop supposed to be a Dredd movie originally?

Yeah, how dare they only riff on right-wing politicans?

Did they ever mock Obama?

belloflostsouls.net/2017/12/osprey-games-announces-new-judge-dredd-card-game.html

A role playing game.

I wonder do games like this have much replay value though? It seems different to other rpg's

>sheeeeeit

Why does his belly look like he has a massive pair of testicles.

How big and saggy is that gut.

Supposedly Judge Francisco becoming Chief Judge is a parody of Obama getting elected as the President of United States.

Perp Lives Matter

'course they do, that's why they get life sentences instead of summary execution.

>Perfect in every way judge and one of the most loved and best Chief Judges ever

Wew what a scathing parody from the totally not left wing creators.

You're forgetting the part where he's an unwitting fool being manipulated, which endangers the entire city because he's too naive to see it coming.

Alan Grant is the most underrated writer of all time

If you pull out off, he would die

Can someone storytime this?

>Drugged and kept helpless by an evil white guy then eventually takes his position back to much pomp and fnafare

How will Obama ever recover?

Im sure someone will. I don't have it on me, but it's quite funny.

Let's go.

This story brought to you by John Wagner and Siku, who also drew

Have a Frank Miller Dredd

Ahh, if commissions could talk...

Dude. Read the story where Francisco wishes citizens of Mega City One happy x-mas. One of the most depressing shit I have ever read

sorry for breaking your storytime, I saw the thread and immediately uploaded the pic, didn't know that you were in the middle of storytime

I wonder why they haven't made more Francisco stories after he got sent back to the streets? Or did he die in the latest cataclysm?

would you obey her?

No problem, bruv! These stories are always short enough anyway.

Fuck if I remembered. I should re-read Dredd someday. Albeit I feel like the last few years Dredd was meandering painfully

Case in point, this story is over! But don't worry folks, I won't leave you hanging...

They made exactly one story about that and it was pretty decent, but other than that he's faded away.

With every fiber of my being.

I may be remembering it wrong, but I think somewhere between these two stories they had a page of "Let's check up on Clinton!" and it was the same as the bottom half of this: a bunch of repeating panels ending in "Heck!"

GONNA TAKE A RIDE INTO THE DANGER ZOOOONE!

Oh shit, early morning storytime!

What is it with 2000AD and putting old US presidents in weird sci-fi situations?

third goon bringing the pro-pain

>those lips
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmboy

>What is it with 2000AD and putting old US presidents in weird sci-fi situations?

Because the book takes place in the future of modern America, so using its history makes sense.

I don't think I'd really have a choice, and that's just fine.

My favorite part of the Bisley clones era are all the background women being ripped as fuck.
And that's it for the Clinton Case!

Yeah but I mean, there was that incident with Ronald Reagan in Strontium Dog and that's certainly a lot more straight sci-fi than Dredd's eye-to-the-past, fist-to-the-future tendencies.

>kick me sign
What
>Bisley and MacNeil written on their foreheads
I have no idea what the fuck is going on anymore.

This Bisleyesque 90's painted exaggerated yet anatomically realistic aesthetic is the best artstyle

Staples, Macneil, Bisley, Siku, Brashill, Phillips, Power etc are all GOAT.

US Presidents tend to get a lot of airplay and are pop culture figures in their own right, so they're ripe for lambasting. Not to mention how goofy and ridiculous most of them look to an outside audience. If you weren't directly affected by Reagan's polices, for instance, it's easier to point and laugh at the dodgering old fuck who somehow got to run a country. Distance creates enough detachment to eliminate any kind of reverence, and the jokes sort of write themselves from there.

It's certainly a lot more enjoyable than what was going on in the States around the same time.

I think I could very likely trace my fit gril fetish back to reading Dredd

This is a blue board, my dude!
>saving porn to your phone
>saving roided-out 3DPD with plastic tits, no less

Makes sense to me. And if it wasn't Dredd, Bisley's Sláine could surely have done the trick. All those panels of Nest and Medb...

Why wouldn't I save it to my phone? Easy access tapping. And what's wrong with giant fake tits?

Don't you kink shame me.

Man, I don't know, I barely even use my phone for stuff other than making and receiving calls. Do people really just save a bunch of porn and images of whatever normies save to their phone and then just like look at it on the bus or in the office or whatever? Weird. Not kink shamin', but fake titties are fake titties, man, the nice thing about 2D is you can have stronk without the loss of natural body fat deposits.

>a nameless minor background character gave J-A the largest erection known to man

"Hey Judge user, so you're my new partner I take it? Let me get a few hundred more reps in here at the gym then we'll hit the streets. Do you think this sleeve tat looks genuine enough for our undercover sting?"

I use my phone as a multimedia device. I never even use it as an actual telephone anymore.

Oh j-jovis...

That's such a strange thing to imagine. Maybe it's due to my lack of social interaction (or social media profiles) or maybe I'm just old before my time, I fucking hate phones and more specifically I fucking hate whoever decided touch screens with itsy-bitsy keyboards that make fake feedback by vibrating the phone when you "press" a "key" should be the optimal method of communication, and I also fucking hate whoever decided "mobile versions" of sites should be a thing when they break at least 70% of the time if you dare to use an adblocker and a browser that isn't whatever came with the phone. Like what does multimedia even entail? Do you not own a computer? Do you just never use it? How do you edit images, or type documents, or make posts on Chilean engine repair forums longer than 200 characters?

Is this what the start of going futsie feels like?

Blech, too roided-out for me. Have something a bit more down to earth.

YOU lack social interaction? *I* lack social interaction. It's why I don't have any friends to call or text. I also use a computer yes. Take everything you use on a pc and I also use it on my phone for the most part.

Multimedia as in youTube, twitter, Cred Forums, discord, twitch, WhatsApp, watching movies and TV, porn, especially reading comics. I read 100% of my comics on my phone.

And yes for anything productive like word processing or editing or any kind of real work etc you would use a proper laptop with keyboard and mouse. Phone interfaces are too simplified for that stuff.

What a fucking boss.
Also, I love how every pic of Wagner and Ezquerra together makes them look like the dodgeringest old uncles ever. Especially Wagner.

I mean, if you've got Twitter, Discord, etc. in your most-used things, you clearly have some sort of social interaction, no? I don't even know what a WhatsApp is (sounds like an app for identifying apps?), and if you read 100% of your comics on your phone I'm sorry for your eyeballs, holy shit.

>Take everything you use on a pc and I also use it on my phone for the most part.
Steam? GIMP? Modding tools for various games? Programming-related things in general? Various games themselves? Disc ripping and burning utilities? Just having an actual, sizable screen to read entire pages on at your leisure instead of a handheld doodad? I couldn't live with just a phone, I'd go bonkers.

>less wrinkles
>no grey
Holy shit, how old is that?

I think it's from around 3-4 years ago, when he was fighting lung cancer. He's a lot healthier nowadays, thankfully, and even joked that he only needs one lung to draw anyway.
I didn't even realize how many people, especially in the States, don't know Whatsapp. It's a ridiculously popular instant messaging app that everyone uses. My mother uses it. My goddamn supervisor at work uses it. Shit's crazy.

>Papa Ezquerra had the cancer
Holy fuck how did I not know of this. That makes the bald head a lot more depressing.

>I didn't even realize how many people, especially in the States, don't know Whatsapp. It's a ridiculously popular instant messaging app that everyone uses. My mother uses it. My goddamn supervisor at work uses it. Shit's crazy.
Don't all these various social media apps (because 'application' was too long and too computer-sounding, I guess, so app became the buzzword of the century) do more or less the same thing, that being instant messaging? The same thing that's already available on the phone itself? This is sounding more and more like every international tech or communication setup where there's six different standards, and then someone says they need to have just one thing for everyone, and then there's seven different standards, and so on.

And let's not forget about President Box Clinton, which was published like the same year, so I guess Wagner just really had it out for the saxophone man.

I really loved this blog this guy did.

heroesof2000ad.blogspot.co dot uk

He'd shine a light on specific writers and artists of Judge Dredd and talk about why they're so great. If you like Dredd you should definitely check it out.

But he hasn't updated since May of last year. IM worried he's gotten sick or something ;__; Hopefully he just has been to busy to update. I sent him a message a long time ago but had no response.

>that "small" fat without bellywheels

So this is 2018.

Do Judges have to work out? Do they get pumped full of Justice Department chemicals and growth hormones?

Dredd's will power is crazy. If he were dropped into the world of One Piece how fucked would pirates be?
Or maybe Garp already is the Dredd of their universe.
But then again Whitebeard has the Dredd chin....

>Do Judges have to work out?
Don't know if the working out part itself is mandatory but I'd imagine keeping a certain level of fitness is, especially for Street Judges who need to be in absolute top physical shape. Maybe not so much for desk jockeys, Tutors (many of whom have missing limbs or various other disabilities), etc., but everyone at the Academy of Law is subject to the same tests to graduate no matter where they plan on working in the Department. This comes up as a minor plot point for a character in Lawless who basically skidded by on the skin of her teeth because she intended to work as a paper-pusher anyway.

>Do they get pumped full of Justice Department chemicals and growth hormones?
Nah, at least not other than some of 'em being clones of various past Judges and the usual speed-healing, body rejuv, and sleep machines. Now, Deadworld on the other hand...

is that shit still going? i remember reading it in my weeb phase like twenty years ago or something

Yeah, but Oda claims it's reaching the tail end of the story, he promised it was past the halfway point about five or six years ago.
Manga is still good. The anime is garbage now though, Toei puts forth zero effort both in pacing and the animation.

Yep, Justice Central and all Sector Houses have facilities for judges to work out on what little spare time they have. Gotta keep fighting /fit/.

This is possibly the most unappealing Hershey I've ever seen and that includes the story where she breaks up organleggers in a nudist colony.

>another 27
I'm 39 and you reeeeeeeeeally don't want that :x

That’s obviously a jimp so... maybe?

>discreetly

Now imagine Hershey doing mobility drills.

>tfw no Hellboy/Dredd crossover.

:O

So what exactly are citizens allowed to do for recreation? Do they have books? Vidya? VR? Movies?

All of those.

But they mostly are retarded from lack of education and just watch TV all day.

I think a story said 50%+ of the population is watching TV at any one time. Which justice department love because if they are docile and watching TV at home they're not out commiting crime.

Also SEX ROBOTS!

that's not a helmet it's his head

I feel like a fair amount of people in the megacities actually live decent lives and we just never hear about them.

True. We only really get a peek at all the horrible shit that crosses Dredds path.

It's a number game. 400-200millon people.

Kind of like 40k.

There's untold amount of planets that never experience horrific wars, or genestealer infiltrations, or Chaos cultist-formed uprisings etc etc.

But none of the games in the setting are concerned with those.

Poetry in motion, it'd be.

Can't wait for this. Apparently he's doing this fully painted rather than digital.

There's sectors that are better off than others, especially around central, but even those people are susceptible to the yearly major catastrophes.

good.

he's ugly and feels bad about himself

Self-image is no laughing matter.

>not just playing the old Dredd RPG

Aside from the nukes I'm having trouble telling the difference between real Bill and fake Bill

To deep and complex. Plus someone has to sit and craft all the scenarios as a GM.

Plus you have to have friends ;__;

The original GW Dredd was alright as a miniatures skirmish game, but as an RPG it kind of sucked.

I was referring to the Mongoose Dredd RPG

How many off planet system are there anyways?

Why is Hershey so much hotter than Anderson?

Bangs and she's an untainted virgin

Better hair. Ride or die. Doesn't bother you with "feelings" or "sympathy" for creeps. Likes cracking skulls. Once elbowed a dude's surgically-sharpened teeth out. Even Anderson can't resist.

Was Hershey in the Stalone Dredd movie?

Yep. She was played by Superman's mom. But she didn't have the bobcut so what is the drokking point.

That's not the old Dredd RPG. The old Dredd RPG is the one by Games Workshop from the 1980s. The Mongoose Dredd is from 2002.

Like I promised here , I dug out my 2000AD books. David Bishop's "Thrill Power Overload" covers the falling out in only a few sentences, and just says that Wagner wanted Chopper to live because

>There was a lot of milage in the character I wanted to use him.

and describes going solo again as like "throwing away a crutch and that some of their best material was written after the split.

>It wasn't as though either of us couldn't do it alone, it's just that largely we hadn't for so many years.

That edition of Thrillpower Overload came out in 2009, long after tempers had cooled, but the much earlier "Judge Dredd: The Mega History" by Jarman and Acton goes into more detail - see pic related.

Also cougar.

To quote Alan Grant, on the failure of the strip BLAIR-1 (casting the then recently elected Labour prime minister Tony Blair as a cyborg out to make the country safe for rich people)

>I was using a sledgehammer to crack the nut. Readers hated it, probably with good reason. Simon Davis was doing lovely art but the stories were just too wham bam. It was my fault, but I don't see any point in being subtle about politicians. These people are evil - there's no subtle way of showing that.

See also Pat Mills and his consistent line that 99% of the upper classes are at best extra-dimensional soul-devouring tyrants and having Margaret Thatcher being shot on the steps of St Pauls cathedral in the very first issue of 2000AD in 1977.

As a side note, the Farage caricature is pretty tame compared to some of the old Spitting Image stuff.

I get the point they're trying to make with Chopper and everything but in 100 other stories that weren't as serious in tone or maybe didn't try to have a deeper message Dredd would shoot someone fleeing in the back with zero hesitation. He does it's all the fucking time.

I have trouble taking these kinds of big serious reflective character decision moments seriously because of that.

Same with Titan for example, Dredd deciding not to blow the ship up. Literally any other story he'd smash the trigger in a heartbeat.

Poor Kraken ;_;

>Dredd would shoot someone fleeing in the back with zero hesitation. He does it's all the fucking time.
this. he's a Clint Eastwood character, not a John Wayne character

mommy material

>Literally any other story he'd smash the trigger in a heartbeat.
Matter of fact, it's what he did at the end of Inferno, although Titan at least made the point that there were "innocent", non violent prisoners in the ships as well as rebels.
But here's the thing: Chopper is not a bad guy. He's a tenacious, ballsy kid who doesn't kill, steal or threaten anyone, who only wants to be somebody in a city of nobodies. Even before the end of Oz, Dredd admits he admires the kid's sheer brass balls, after finding out he succeded in travelling across the Cursed Earth and then the Pacific on a surfboard. He even tells him to go win Supersurf for Mega-City One, right after letting him know he's going to arrest him the moment he crosses the finish line.
Sure, Dredd is perfectly capable of working 99.99% of his cases with mechanical precision, but every now and then he runs into one case that for some reason resonates with him. Be it a talking rat or a girl's brain in a jar, it's stuff that touches him and makes him really think beyond what the Law says. And Chopper is a very extreme version of that.
Wagner's point in stories like this and Error of Judgement is that Dredd isn't an infallible machine, that he's susceptible to being touched by random cases, and that, much like with Minty before him, the older he gets, the more it happens. And then he gets that one letter in the mail and, well, we all know how that goes.

We never talk about the bad bach. Who is best perp?

Should he be considered to be handsome by Otto Stump-standars? Or the ugly fad isn't a thing anymore?

Is there an Anderson collection akin to the Complete Casefiles? Perhaps with links?

Reckon you already done post 'im. Though Cal was also a barrel of fun, and although he was spreading very thin by the end of his career, I really enjoyed PJ Maybe's constant game of hiding in front of Justice Dept's collective noses.
For one shot baddies, that one Cursed Earth Mutant drawn by Kev O'Neil who thought he was Judge Dredd is another of my favorites, as were the group of criminals trying to come up with the perfect plan. And of course, Marty Zpok, the Muzak Killer. Poor, poor sad fuck.

Yep, they're called the Psi Files. Don't have any links at hand though, sorry. They've been uploaded to Win-o-Threads, so you can look 'em up in the archives: "Judge Anderson - The Psi Files".

Both are good on their own ways.

Well Inferno was Millar who's Dredd was just edgy.

But I just think the revealing human moments of Dredd stories are better when they don't involve making a choice to kill.

Like the classic bury my knee where he stops the resyk of the old lady and sets up a burial plot or the alien story where the alien just wants to go to his home planet but can't afford it so Dredd deports him.

Those moments for me are more believable and get the point across so much better than Dredd deciding to kill or not to kill because he'll blow some fucks head off the very next week for something minor, probably.

Best perp is also best Judge

I like them both.

slowtorrent.com/details/judge_anderson_the_psi_files_tpbs_v01_v04_2012_2014_digital_empire_nem_

Dirty Frank is not a perp though. He is pure.

more like grandma material
lmao

You'd be sent to a psych ward for treatment. But seditious statements against the Justice Department carry a five year minimum, creep.

What's the essential Hersheycore material?

Unfortunately her solo stuff is all garbage.

And everything else she's a background or side character

Even worse: it was Morrison. But yeah, I can see where you're coming from. The last McGruder story is also an excellent example of how to show Dredd's softer side, while also giving her a magnificent send off.
But to me, stories like that are almost too easy. There's no strong conflict there because the "perps" involved are barely criminals, and Dredd doesn't need to sacrifice much to show leniency. After all, in Bury My Knee, he still arrests the old guy. But Chopper is different because Dredd travelled all the way to Oz, shot his way through the Halls of the Judda, murdered hundreds of bloodthirsty fucks, and once that was over couldn't bring himself to shoot one guy in the back. The conflict there, or in "Letter to Judge Dredd", is that much stronger, because Dredd has to choose between showing leniency and upholding the Law, and chose the former. While in most other stories he finds a way to do both and keep himself comfortable, in Oz and Letter there is no easy way out, and the lingering effects of his decision feel that much stronger as a result.

Hershey is a cougar?

Essential Hersheycore is:
>The Judge Child Quest
>The Fink
>The Apocalypse War
>The Graveyard Shift
>Judgment Day
>Doomsday Scenario (especially the end)
>Total War
>Tour of Duty
>Hot Night in 95
>Trifecta
And maybe Harvey, depending on how it ends. Her own solo series varies from mediocre to just plain bad, sadly, although there are a couple of halfway decent stand-outs, like Harlequin's Dance.

Oh yeah, I forgot, and City of the Damned if you want to see VAMPIRE HERSHEY.
And if you live in the UK, you may be able to get your hands on the 2000AD fanzine Zarjaz. Issues 26 and 27 have a couple of Hershey-centric stories you might enjoy. Although I may be biased considering I wrote them.

>And maybe Harvey, depending on how it ends.
it will be the end of her tenure
mark my words

Hush, you. Harvey is the bot that will protect her smile. She ain't ever gonna go Full McGruder.

Amee had a hard life but still drokk her with a spiked daystick for betraying Dirty Frank

>I wrote them
Nani, judge you write for these dudes?

>Hot Night in 95
wew

Not 2000AD (yet) but yeah, Zarjaz is a fanzine and they have an open submissions policies. I've managed to trick them into letting me in four times now, plus one in Dogbreath, a Strontium Dog-centric sister title.

Closest thing you'll ever see to a date between her and Dredd. And Staz Johnson's art is splendid. That last chapter though...

Can someone post the brain in jar story?

Sure, it's a classic.

Uh-oh, that sounds serious. Y'all wanna read that one too?

yes

Alrighty. Get ready for...

Topless Dredd!
He's thick... for the LAW!

:(

The guys only doing his job. Dredd should have been given 6 months traffic duty.

Oh wait, one law for Dredd the golden boy another for every other Judge. Bahrumph bahrumph it's not right

For the record, that mission was City of the Damned, which quickly erased any lingering doubts about brains in jars by replacing them with improper thoughts of VAMPIRE HERSHEY.

Its hard to replace Judges with a record like Dredd. That's like trying to replace an olympic-class athlete

>Reinhart is more cold hearted than Dredd

I'd be impressed if I wasn't so horrified.

Exactly. Golden boy Dredd can get away with it.

The first time Secretariat lost after winning the triple crown, they didn't grind him into dog food.

>when you tracing so hard you forget to remove the obvious tell-tale branding

You don't have to be a leftist to make fun of Farage. The man is a (barely) human shaped pile of dung with some lipstick.

Actually he's based as fuck and right about everything.

I think the author and consumer mistranslation of what Judge Dredd is about comes from the current political climate. Judge Dredd is a cynical and sarcastic look on authoritarianism and fascism but when the real world has what is essentially weekly news on not just police prejudices but police corruption and most worrying the downright ongoing incompetence of the police force, you can't help but appreciate the idea of a truly neutral, fair and dedicated police force. Even if half of the laws themselves are stupid and almost everyone but Dredd himself is corrupt.

Why would you depict politicians you like as a character from a dead game series with no personality and someone who is so replaceable that the thing that make their stories good is the villains?

Reminder that the EU is an abomination, that we're better off out, that we're leaving and that there's absolutely fucking nothing you can do to stop it.

>Symbol of masculinity and USA coolness
>Symbol of masculinity and British coolness

Take that libturd!

>that we're leaving and that there's absolutely fucking nothing you can do to stop it.
Never underestimate the power of loopholes and corporate influences user.

I assure you they'll find one way or another to make a laughing stock out of democracy.

A slow, overweight man with a bad toupee and memory problems is a symbol of masculinity?

Or a reedy neckless balding man

>Billionaire ruler of the free world that fucks pornstars and grabs pussy at will

Yes.

Good news, everyone! May solicits are in and guess who's back!
>we return to the post-apocalyptic landscape of Deadworld as the Dark Judges wreak havoc in ‘Damned: The Fall of Deadworld’ by Kek-W and Dave Kendall
So for all of you looking for a piece of undead action, it'ssss not far to go, sssinnersss!

I am so sick of the Dark Judges. Relegating them to their own spin off is the best thing ever.

Oh, those loveable young men! I've wonder what harmless mischief they'll get into this time!

Be a dear, and don't drag down this thread with your Cred Forumsshit

>57% of voters is considered a low % in a dystopian setting
>More or less the same amount my country gets on average

Thank you! Poor girl.

that's probably the joke

Did...this really happen?

The story is that an early issue was supposed to show Dredd's real face, but the staff hated every design given and so it was decided to mock-censor the scene with the unmasking. Dredd has never been seen helmetless since.

Fall of Deadworld has been pretty good imo
they've gone a long way to ensure the Dark Judges are a legitimate threat, and actually scary to boot

By Tom of Finland’s lusty erection!

Only in Demarco's head, but it is a genuine cover.

>that time when yanks made their oc dark judges
You can never have enough dark jusssstice

Stigmata posts to deadjournal while listening to Linkin Park. He can’t handle Skinner bouncing around to H-Pop high as a kite from wearing the skins he took off partygoers.

>those extra dark judges

I have those progs! It was strange seeing the Angel gang come back, again. You'd think all of them dying on Xanadu at the finale of the Judge Child arc would've been the end of it, but nope we missed one and Fink Angel appears and Mean Machine gets resurrected because reasons. They're just a buncha rednecks from Texas City, why do they keep appearing?

Those judges never appeared in the progs, only in the IDW ongoing, which is its own continuity so the Angel Gang never died in Xanadu in them.
As to why they keep coming back, the answer is simple: Wagner and Grant fucking loooove writing rednecks. Absurdly so. Something about the accents, maybe. Wagner in particular has always regretted murdering so many of the Angel Gang, although to his credit, he gave up on trying to bring more of them back after Awakening of Angels was lambasted to Hell and back.

pa and junior got saved by aliens on xanadau and they were put in hybernation for years in 2000ad canon tho.

Right, that's Awakening of Angels. Which people hated so much that nobody, not even Wagner, has done anything with them other than that short sequel to Beat the Devil. Wagner himself admitted it was a step too far. And now, the resurrected Angels are in the same place as those early progs where judges worked side by side with regular cops: the "We Don't Talk About This" corner of Dredd canon.

>doing that in front of a judge
Its like getting caught was part of his plan

Why is DeMarco such a whooooooooooooooore

you know, I always wondered why in Mega-City 1 where rampant unemployment leads to rampant crime because people want to work and are just bored that they turn to crime to stave off the boredom.....Why haven't they just made a law stating that only a % of your workforce can be automated to ensure at least most of the citizenry can have jobs and hopefully not turn to crime to pass the time. Like a 60/40 split of humans to robots to keep most of the people not going crazy and shooting up the place.

Because it's a parody.

I dunno you, pal, but if I saw a judge as fine as Anderson patrolling the streets I'd rob the person closest to me like my life depended on it. And you don't even wanna know what I'd do if it was Hershey.

Before Day of Chaos effectively destroyed their infrastructure, Mega-City One was a major industrial powerhouse, and a large part of that came down to their automated workforce. And now, after almost a century of jerbs being taken over by robots, it'd be more trouble than it's worth to force companies to start hiring actual, fallible humans who need all this silly lazy stomm like "breaks" and "food" and "less than 20 hour workdays".
A case could be made for other, less industrialized companies hiring regular people, but you can already see that in things like restaurants, retail and funeral parlors. But by and large, MC-1's workforce remains robotic because the benefits (mostly) outweigh the losses. And while a lot of citizens eventually turn to crime, most people are perfectly happy wasting their lives away in front of the TV or taking up welding as a hobby.

has then been a story done about what dredd would do in a place where there is literally no crime?

There was one where he's in his apartment and there's no crime going on.

Kinnnda. Rehab sort of deals with that, but involves criminals from MC-1 going into that perfect world, so it doesn't really count. You can also see how he acts in Oz and Emerald Isle when confronted with a mostly peaceful city.
For my money though, the best of those kind of stories are a couple like Block Court, Slow Crime Day and such were Dredd has to deal with the most horrifying enemy of them all: finding stuff to do when he can't fight crime.

REMINDER TO OBEY THE LAW
youtube.com/watch?v=W7TRF7jrSM4

Thats an excellent idea...

Who knows why they don't implement it. Having a hundred million plus people slaving away at work would keep them from committing crimes. Easy way to control the masses (like in real life).

Okay, here's the rules.
No demons.
No werewolves.
No vampires.

Hey
Cry about it

>Grant said that he WANTED people to hate Dredd's guts and owned up to the fact that he considered Dredd a Nazi type fascist and wanted the Dredd fanboys to hate the character just like he came to hate him.
Deliberately writing frustrating, unsatisfying shit to satisfy petty hatred of a project he chose to work on.

There's a lot of that going around these days.

You mean the guy that keeps his EU pension and then tells everyone to man up and tighten their belts for the country? The guy that abandonned Ukip after the referendum and came back like he was the second coming of Christ, with nothing but scorn for the government he helped put into place, after a while? Regardless of your political leanings, he has zero class.

Don't blow his cover

That was the part that really fucked with me. Especially since the Judge with the anime shades did the exact opposite when roles were reversed - trying to save her life and bring her in on the operation (which got him killed) instead of betraying her for his own gain

See, the problem is that's just looking at it from a narrow point of view. It wasn't just that Grant hated Dredd the character and wanted to piss his most right wing fans, but also that Grant from the start was always more interested in writing about the city, about crazy future crimes and weirdo future shocked people. He's mentioned in interviews how his perfect Judge Dredd story would probably not even involve Dredd at all, and sure enough there are several stories in classic 80s Dredd where he basically just shows up at the end to clean everything up. Most of them absolute classics.
And make no mistake: both Wagner and Grant have a deep disgust of people who advocate for a Dredd-like regime, or who read it to fuel their authoritarian fantasies. Otherwise we wouldn't have America. But the difference, as shown throughout the thread, had more to do with how each writer saw Dredd as a character and where they wanted to take him than anything else.

There's literally nothing wrong with the police cracking a few skulls. Dredd is right 50% of the time.

Lib cuckers that write Dredd probably subconsciously project how they really feel into the writing.

>Otherwise we wouldn't have America.
Wait, America was supposed to be ANTI-authoritarian?

I wonder what they are thinking

Killing terrorists who are about to commit terrorism is bad!

If you kill your enemies, they win!

Hot.

Is best bot Harvey back? I remember his debut but I didn't know they brought him back in action again. Which prog?

Black hair
Is law

>And you don't even wanna know what I'd do if it was Hershey.

You'd get your teeth knocked out is what you'd do.

he takes it off, its just that we don't get to see it. I mean he had robot eyes put in, cant do that with a bullet proof visor. Its sorta implied that some of the judges know what he looks like. old stoney face and all that.

that and his clone brother.

Hershey's having none of Dredd's shit, DeMarco is enjoying it far too much and Anderson's just happy to be there.

Well compared to him Trump is a chad.

Because Anderson is 'special' and will always have the 'special' character traits- psychic wise-cracker with a punny name and a disregard for helmet safety. Hershey is- or was- like any other street Judge with all the hard-assedness and lewd uniforms and helmets that includes, and just happened to be good enough at her job to rise through the ranks of the Justice Dept. and eventually become Chief Judge more or less because no one else wanted to.

I mean, uh, bob cut.

Which issue has the slow motion drug in it?
And why isn't Dredd wearing any body armor like in the movie?

Hershey could just be angry she has to share the long arm of the law with 2 other women, she's Chief Judge dammit! She gets some perks after all.

Likely the justice department doesn't want to be involved in the unemployment situation. If they made such a low then there would still be a huge number of unemployed people who would immediately go from being "boo hoo I have no job" to "Hey! The Judges gave everyone else a job but not me!! I'm angry and blame the city for that!"
Also they likely reason that more people with more money means more criminals that will have the cash to buy better weapons and fund more dangerous crimes.

Also impotent hence his over compensating fixation with the law as described by John Wagner in 2000 AD prog 1229 'Gun Runner'

There are canonical rejuvenation treatments that restore a person's youth and judges use them as well.

Some of those treatments involve grinding up cute little alien creatures and making pills out of em. The judges naturally banned it.

And unfortunately, with 400 million people, the 0.01% of people who might do that number in the tens of thousands.

Siiiigh... if only.

Slo-Mo was created for the movie. And the comics are a lot more about crazy over the top designs than believable riot armor and such.

I am a fan of Morrison and a huge fan of Dredd and you're right, the only thing worse than a Millar Dredd is a Morrison one.

Yeah but the also have face machines that can alter any detail about a person's appearance. It won't make you immortal like Stookie glanding, but you'll leave a good looking corpse.

Whoa, is that a poster for Gunsmith Cats/Riding Bean in the background?

there was a black lives matter comic

She got a mention in Dredd 3d too - assigned to deal with a riot on one of the JD screens they showed

That sounds like the kind of thing the judges would start mass arresting people over. They've done it over less bullshit in the comic, like mass arresting people who were protesting Gunge....and then feeding it to them as Food Stuff A, B, and C.

Anything involving someone trying to use building blocks or similar toys and not even being able to do that makes me incredibly, unspeakably sad, and it's not the first time I've seen it in this damn comic, either.

Fuckin' Accounts Div.