Black Panther Film

Hello Cred Forums, just saw this at the theater last night and enjoyed it. However, this was my introduction to Black Panther, so my questions for you are...

>was it true to the comics?
>what did you think of the cast?
>what would you rate it out of 10?

Oh, and also... what are they gonna do for the next king, since the plants giving them their powers were burned?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/fR03T0STAig
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>True to the comics
Hardly. Comic Wakandans are bigger assholes, and Black Panther didn't share his tech with the world. As for the herb, I could see it growing back regardless thanks to stashed seeds and vibranium enriched soil

Bigger assholes in the sense that they were selfish with their technology and wanted nothing to do with the rest of the world? Or was there a lot more to it?

And with this in mind, do you feel the Wakandans in this were an improvement?

Comic Wakandans found the cure for cancer decades ago and still won't share it

Ah.. that makes me like them less, for sure. I'm glad they weren't like this in the film.

Did you have any complaints with the movie?

Is Shuri smarter than Tony Stark?

She's a lot less likable and that's all that matters

Mostly. To be honest, a lot of it is better. Wakanda is isolationist in the comics to a much greater degree, and has an unnerving taste for genocide.

Great.

An 8, I guess.

no, Nakia was right, although every one of them made sense
T'Challa:
>I want to help only people who live in my kingdom
makes sense, he's the king
Killmonger:
>I want to help only people who have the same skin color as me
makes sense, he's murikan
Nakia:
>I want to help everybody
makes sense, she's a decent human being

Kind of but Wakanda is a lot more complex than it was portrayed in the movie. T'Chaka was a bit more open than he was portrayed and they're all very xenophobic
I would've recast Zuri as Terry Crews to make him more like comic Zuri
6/10 I'm pretty tired of comic movies and it felt like a standard one. Entertaining but standard

Not a BP fan.
Good.
9/10. Most I've gotten out of a Marvel film since TWS.

I don't really see what the hype was about.

>yellow jacket
>kilmonger
>zemo

Top 3 MCU villains

>Not putting vulture on your list
Gay

Wakanda is one of those things that's treated differently by every writer, and needed a 'greatest hits' version of it (think Ant-Man from EMH) to really have a good, definitive version. This movie was definitely the definitive Wakanda. Was pretty accurate to the comics, some lines were taken right from them and some scenes like Killmonger throwing Panther over the waterfall

>cast
Great

>rate
9/10. Might just be the best MCU movie for me. Have to see it again but as of right now my favorite is Civil War, Black Panther second

Why not?

Main villain is of Wakandan heritage, but born and grew up in Oakland, CA. Grows up without a father because of black on black crime within his family. Becomes a violent killer and militantly anti-white, blaming the modern white man for modern black problems. Entitlement and anger prompts him to take over the one collection of black people on the planet who managed to get their shit together and not be degenerates, creating in-fighting and conflict within a day of rule. Master plan is to send high-tech weaponry to black people all over the world to rise up and take over. Kills himself rather then being jailed by the kingdom for killing countless people, claiming it's somehow the same as slaves jumping off a ship to escape bondage.

So most realistic Marvel villain to date. Shows that introduction of African American culture to any society, even a magical fictional all-black kingdom, turns it to shit.

Probably not smarter, but has access to nearly unlimited vibranium which is practically magic.

>So most realistic Marvel villain to date. Shows that introduction of African American culture to any society, even a magical fictional all-black kingdom, turns it to shit.
More accurately that exploiting and oppressing a people breeds violent extremists.

Just got back from watching it a few hours ago. I'm rating it 7/10 maybe 8/10.

I expected it to be better. Maybe the hype thing just got me too much.

Various things just bugged me. Panthers costume being completely bullet proof - him just sort of standing around and bullets bouncing off. It removed any aspect of danger to him and thus any sense of heroism for me. Just seemed like it was lazy. Maybe it has been too long since I saw any of BP, but I don't remember his costume being practically Iron Man levels.

I felt like Wakanda was too much like the US. It seemed like other than tossing a thin coat of 'I saw something like this on National Geographic' on top of it, it was just the US. People acted like Americans in a pop culture sort of way. Just so much stood out from under neath as being American. I really thought we would have a completely different culture.

I get it that the primary is the US audience, but shucks.

I felt a little conflicted by the mountain tribe guys. On the one hand it was comical that they were acting like Gorillas half the time - I felt just a bit embarrassed about the monkey/black people comparison. But on the other hand they were the only ones that felt different and that I found myself really interested in.

The CIA guy would have been better served if he had been killed in the remote control thing at the end. That could have been a plot point, just felt like it was missed.

There were a number of points where the green screen just really jumped out at me.

The super tech came across just a bit contrived as well.

Over all, I enjoyed the movie. I felt it was a good movie. But no place near the top three of marvel movies I think. Just too much hype.

Then again I'm feeling sick so there is that.

Probably not. She didn't build a prototype Black Panther suit in a CAVE. With SCRAPS. At least as far as I've heard.

Movie T'Challa had more development than Comics T'Challa has had in years
10/10
9/10

Nah I doubt it. Otherwise all their soldiers would be fucking around in power armor

>More accurately that exploiting and oppressing a people breeds violent extremists.

More accurately: African blacks need American blacks for nothing and will be poisoned if they accept their worldview. Self-pity and blame-shifting: the core of Killmonger's worldview. Purity of tradition and righteous intent: the core of King T'Challa's reign.

Don't know much, only read blank panther when he's guested in other books.
Better than I thought it would be
7/10. Would have been an 8 if I hadn't been jolted out of the moment multiple time by bad compositing shots where the lighting on the characters didn't match the background. A surprising amount of the CGI also seemed a either a little rushed (like the war rhinos, the panthers in the spirit tree, and the double panther suit battle

>Marvel movie has a challenging, complex, three dimensional villain
>Dead

But at least we still have Loki and his dollar store daddy issues kicking around.

would non americans even understand the whole growing up in the hood thing without a father; they don't show anything of his life besides playing basketball with a grocery basket. at least upper class folk have got boyz n the hood for prior understanding

I'm pretty sure places like the black ghettos of America exist around the world

To be fair, isn't the same true for Mr. Fantastic?

And Norman Osborn and Dr. Strange. Tony Stark could probably use Extremis to cure it since he can make homely people into models with it. Iron Fist used his power to cure it once.

>Comic Wakandans found the cure for cancer decades ago and still won't share it
Wasnt this exclusively from a single panel in the Hudlin run thats universally reviled and hasn't been referenced since?

His death was poignant and well done, you fool. And lets be real here, before Killmonger and Ego, Loki was the only decent villain the MCU movies had.

wait the Cred Forums leaks where real

holy shit

americans have lost it

Yes but you know how comic fans are, they pick a few panels from a comic and then act like that is all people should know about a character.

??

I think she's just good with engineering vibranium. Were she Stark smart she'd have gadgets that rival Iron-Man, all they've been doing is exploiting vibranium's natural abilities I think. No flying suit, no cut through everything lasers, etc. Stark even has remote suit piloting and some degree of miniaturization with a gauntlet hidden in his wristwatch all without the help of vibranium. Even Shield has some advanced stuff like cloaked ships and cybernetics that look like real limbs.

Red Skull, Yellowjacket, and Zemo were also good

I haven't seen the movie yet but it actually looks good.

I won't pay for it out of spite for the mass "censor all bad thoughts!" I dislike people who have such gal to think people can be Controlled like such sheep (even if they can be sheep).

How strong/intense/constant is the KANGs issue? It doesn't seem like an issues but I can't imagine it's not in there. How much in your face is it?

Wakandans are much nicer than they were in the comics

Pretty good, even if they forced Michael B. Jordan to say some truly hamfisted cringe lines instead of letting the man act

8/10 thanks to Killmonger taking too long to get to Wakanda and the relatively empty final battle location (and not even beautifully or interestingly empty, just grassy hills)

6/10 I guess? It was well acted, all the designs were really cool, it did a great job of worldbuilding. The action was pretty lacking, CG was ropey in parts, and the way certain themes were presented were suspect, but it is a Disney movie so yeah

And Tony found a "cure" for mutants, didn't he?

>my favorite is civil war
wut

>was it true to the comics

Pretty much to the idea and the debate of Wakanda supposed to be centered entirely on each other. KillMonger was right to a point that T'challa's acting like an ass for holding shit down.

All of them are interesting and they worked with the situation entirely. Fuck I even liked the women even more than the male cast members.

I would honestly rate an 9 out of 10. Some of the shit that Wakanda had was a bit too good to be true.

>Zemo

I liked Zemo. He was just regular guy that managed to rip a bunch of super heroes apart and almost kill each other just because he was really fucking angry at them. His motivations were bottom barrel stupid shit, but I still liked how he wasn't just oversized fodder villain. The second they actually got to him he knew he was toast

Why didn't they give the heart shaped herb to everyone to make everyone an awesome black panther fighter? Why just t'challa black panther? All you need to make a black panther is the herb and a mortar and pestle. Why don't all those old people like Forest Whitaker who are tending the herbs just make the super smoothie for themselves when no one is looking and all become black panther's too? Seriously they had a shit ton of herb in that grow-op.

>but born and grew up in Oakland, CA.
please tell me this description is a pasta

Alas it is not.
Also the whole dot tattoo thing for each kill seems a bit strange for someone who's supposedly CIA, kind of makes it hard to be subtle I would imagine.

>Never read the comics, couldn't tell ya
>Killmonger and Shuri stole the show in every scene they were in
>8/10, fun as fuck but kinda slow in some places

also the fucking score was so goddamn good. Killmonger's theme is the shit

youtu.be/fR03T0STAig

I thought Yellowjacket was kinda boring but I haven't seen Ant Man in a while, why do people like him so much?

This shit is so patronizing it's outright offensive.

You can't just imply every black person in the world is oppressed.

>blame-shifting
Was it Killmonger's fault that he was born in Oakland or that his father died? Explain how he blame-shifted.
Also I think it's more accurate to say that Killmonger hated being at the bottom of society than it is to say that he's "anti-white". This may sound like splitting hairs, but his arc is more about redeeming black people (even if whites must suffer) than it is about hating whites. He worked alongside whites his whole life, after all.

I don't really have any major disagreements with you, I just wanted to say that I like the way you express your opinion. You focused on your gripes rather than what you liked, and expressed them in an agreeable way.

He's a monster made by colonists, taught to be a colonist (I thought it was hamfisted that the token white guy explained that Killmonger actions in Wakanda were inspired by CIA destabilization techniques), applying that mindset and rules of "might makes right" to an ethnocentric level to wage war on a world where people take what they want on all levels of society. He was black Hitler.

The movie Wakandans are a lot less douchey, even the ones who decided to side with Killmonger.
Pretty cool. Supporting cast was good, but they stole the show so much that it made T'Challa stand out less.
8/10

Why the fuck didn't the trailer have music like this ffs

So people who hate rap can flame and troll about it and to get Black Twitter excited for it.
It's a win-win for Marvel Studios

The heart shaped herb is poisonous to anyone not of the royal blood line. This is explained in the comics, but omitted from the movie for some reason.

that king challenge / tribal fight is retard

>Panthers costume being completely bullet proof - him just sort of standing around and bullets bouncing off. It removed any aspect of danger to him

Klaw could be that danger

I kinda wish that was how it was in the comics. It would give the yearly challenge for being the black panther some more depth.

I think that was the point. The old traditions seemed cool but were the thing that bit Wakanda in the ass. Suddenly there was a complete psycho in charge and all he had to do was say his name and beat up the king.

And the white man did nothing wrong:the post
The last paragraph was pure hatred and misunderstanment of problems AA face. Watch I aint your negro plz.

hard to believe that was the first time that happened to wakanda

I don't think so. She just has access to vibranium. If both her and Stark had the same equipment I think Stark would be able to make something better out of it.

In the comics he's from Harlem, and instead of being a genocidal psycho, he wants to force Wakanda to become part of the global economy.

Maybe it wasn't. Kings can write their own histories.

reactionary horseshit
racebait marketing is a bad look too ngl

What about Vulture?

The costume

Let's not forget about Pym particles and the fact that they could be used to shrink cancer into virtual nonexistence anyway.

>On the one hand it was comical that they were acting like Gorillas half the time - I felt just a bit embarrassed about the monkey/black people comparison

It was an improvement. In the comics, M'Baku is the fearsome Man-Ape and his tribe all wear apeskin costumes

They even tied it to worship of the deity Hanuman, which was a nice touch.

i've made my fan art about wakanda

I'm pretty sure that is how it works in the comics. Or maybe it was at some point & some writer(s) forgot. I know for sure T'challa explicitly says it in the Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon, but I realize that isn't canon.

It's definitely not part of the film. If it's poisonous to everyone else without royal bp blood, why did the queen offer it to m'baku ape guy?

I know, the guy I responded to said he wishes that's how it was in the comics, to which I said I think it is. I did think for a minute there that maybe they glossed over it in the movie & that it was something comic readers would have to explain, but I totally forgot about them offering it to M'baku.

> felt like Wakanda was too much like the US.

That may have been the point in a way. Wakanda is to the global black community that the US was to Europe after World War II. The Wakandan international outreach program is pretty much the Marshall Plan.

Keep in mind I haven't dived into the BP comics but wanted some help

Where was the Panther God? Shouldn't there be a barrier of worthiness to be King given Killmongers lust for murder or is it just oh royal blood who cares if you literally have a hatred for Wakanda.

Also isn't T'Challa suppose to be top 10 at least smartest humans on Earth? Did they omit that or forget?

>henshin costume
vibranium is purely magic huh

You saw the same movie we did, buddy.

Panther God clearly didn't show up. Probably because everything mystical in the MCU has been shown as cosmic juju.

Even in the comics, there is no worthiness test. You win the ritual, you get to be king. In the comics, he eats the herb and falls into a coma, though.
They haven't given T'Challa any platform to show his stuff yet. Marvel Comics tends to rank smarts in superscience ass-pulls, and they clearly gave the 'techy' role to Shuri.

Ah true I guess we'll wait to see in Avengers when some one like Stark makes a micro aggression against T'Challa and he brings out his m e n t a l prowess

I imagine she has the potential to be, but right now since she's never really been challenged like Tony was with the Cave and a box of scraps and is essentially fucking around with what cool spy gadgets she can make instead of stretching herself she isnt on his level.

However in general MCU smartness rankings Pym is probably still on top because no one has come close to fucking physics in the ass like he has.

>some degree of miniaturization with a gauntlet hidden in his wristwatch

the new suit in infinity war is even more advanced than civil war, it's doing the nano assembly thing that star lord's helmet does without the blue glow. i'd put money on it coming out of the arc reactor that's on his chest in some of the photos.

outside of vibranium itself, tony's tech is pretty much on par. but more importantly, his stuff keeps improving, bilbo was flying the same plane that they were using in oakland, tony has advanced massively in just ten years

The jumping from a ship thing really threw me. He's wakandan, so I'm assuming his ancestors weren't taken as slaves because they were so advanced compared to the mud but dwellers elsewhere. So what's he talking about? The slaves on the boats weren't his people. That's like me saying the Vikings were my people because our skin is the same colour kind of

Ok but Kilmonger has/hasa mother and it’s pretty clear she’s NOT Wakandan. So I’m pretty sure he was referring to on his mother’s side of the family user....

>"Complex"

Is this board not 18+?

Half Wakandan. His mother was African-American.

His mom was American ding dong

Both sides of the KANGZ thing have been massively overplaying it. The idiots saying it's a "cultural milestone" and the ones saying it's forced PC diversity gone mad are both talking absolute nonsense, it's very very tame in that regard. I felt it was a reasonably entertaining way to spend a couple hours on a Saturday afternoon. The rhinos were my favourite part

That's why he's the bad guy. Getting that heel heat brother brother

Agreed, I may be misremembering but I don't think he specifically said white people, he was anti being at the bottom of the social ladder

>I don't think he specifically said white people
Never explicitly, but he did imply it with the term Colonizer

>Misunderstanment

Illiteracy one of those problems I assume?

user here is a life lesson:

Don’t be let other people, especially Cred Forums, to dictate what you want to see or what you’re interested in.

Both sides are shit. The movie is great. Go take your wife or gf and enjoy something in this miserable fucking world

Of course. Silly me

But Jordan's performance was delightful. He brought such charisma and humanity to the character that the move had to continually go out of it's way to remind you that he was actually the villain. He had what, three shoot the dog moments?

Also they Wakanda apparently only has one street it's royalty is allowed to walk down.

>Implying Pym wouldn't get impatient and bludgeon his patient to death

This post made me laugh. I thought you should know user

>we will never get a team up movie set in the 80’s with T’Chaka, Pym, Howard Stark, and Nick Fury

>>what would you rate it out of 10?
Somewhere around 6/10. Its an entertaining movie and visually appealing but it doesn't make the slightest sense. The overall concept of the plot is fine but the execution is terrible, is full of plotholes.

Also, I didn't like this guy The villain concept in this case was spot on, but I question the actor choice, or the performance or the design, or...I don't know, but this guy didn't feel like a menacing warrior or a seasoned veteran, he felt like some random raper.
Using a palette swap for his costume wasn't a good idea either.

The OST is kind of repetitive too.

Not terrible, but not one of my favorites. ITs watchable for the action and aesthetics but nothing more.

M'Baku was valid to challenge T'Challa, so I think that means he's of royal blood.

reactionary to what

Agreed about the OST and the villain execution, but what exactly do you mean by plotholes?

Daily reminder that Black Panther has never ever beaten the Killmonger in comics.

THE GOOD
>few quips, jokes were subdued (Cred Forums will hate it for this, as seen in the past few days, Cred Forumsedditors and Cred Forumsedditors will think likewise)
>decent characterization
>good use of setting
>not very liberal
>Armond White made a fantastic review on the surrounding politics and marketing of it
8/10, WAY better than the shitshow that was Ragnarok. Possibly better than Spiderman.

THE BAD
>camera work is iffy during actions scenes, and often times a touch too zoomed in
>when T'Challa takes Killmonger out to the sunset, we don't see any traces of the mine entrance/panther statue as they look towards the sun, almost as if they are out in the open
>mediocre end to Klau
>pretty sure slaves didn't throw themselves off ships, they were forcefully thrown off by the masters
>Bucky should have made an appearance in the main movie

On the top of my head

-He stole the vibranium 20 years ago and had it stored all this time until he sold it to Ultron?
-He is a weapon dealer and stole a "minering tool" and had it hidding during this 20 years until Ultron cut his arms instead of commercing it?
-IF in the end Warmorger only had to kill Claw and bring his body to wakanda, why wait so much, rob a museum, sell to the CIA, rescue him...he could have just kill him any moment and bring the body.
-Even if they have to bring CIA to heal him, they could have sedated him instead of just straitgh telling all their secrets
-IF someone with the right can enter the throne room and challenge the king at any time, not only during the coronation ritual, why man-ape didn't challenged before?
-Even with the "nanomachines, son" the vibranium suit wasn't even scratched by the vibranium swords, despite BP claws damaging CA shield in CW.
-How all those old women that needed a cane to walk climbed the wall where they watch the fight?

quick dumb question

M'Baku jokes to CIA that their tribe is vegetarian, yet later he tells them that one of their fishermen found T'Challa in the river. Do fish not count. What is the truth

It's possible that just M'Baku and his family are vegetarians and not the whole Jabari tribe?

Slaves did jump off ships, they also killed themselves and their children. Remember that the next time someone tells you slavery wasn’t that bad. The vast majority of course stayed in bondage but for those superior beings, death was better than slavery.

I agree with your points about Klaw, but with the Killmonger challenge I thought it was implied that T'Challa was technically within his rights to just tell Killmonger to fuck off and be thrown in a dungeon, but he let his pride get in the way and accept the challenge?

Give any 16 year old a magic metal and unrestricted by American education system and they can become the smartest person in the room.

>Killmonger was right

And by that very same breath, Black people justified Colonialism.

He was basically Hank Pym from the comics.

>why man-ape didn't challenged before?
The tribe had isolated themselves from Wakandan affairs in self-imposed exile until that very moment.
They even explained why they chose to end their isolation as part of the challenge.

Bruh thank you
When Killmongers theme played for i think like the 3rd time it threw me off so bad I was like really
There was one keen moment when t'challas sister and love interest run out in the final battle and the difference in the music flowed really well with the African xylophone sound or whatever.
Which made the whole repeat theme when the film goes back to the cave area during that whole final sequence with the Wakanda air ships so much worse imo

Fish don't count.
The technical term is pesco-vegetarian, but literally no one cares.
See also: ovo-lacto-vegetarian

Why don't the Alt-Lites and BLM kangz start their racewar already when they want it so much?

both sides have guns and are bitches if they don't have an advantage

Pride and guilt. But yes, as I understand it T'challa could have told Killmonger to fuck off and had him thrown off a cliff because KING and saved everyone a bunch of trouble.

But that wouldnt have been the right thing to do.

As they hung a lantern on it earlier in the movie: he's a good man. And its hard for a good man to be king.

That, and the majority of people simply don't give a fuck. The national guard or whatever would just roll in and shut the whole thing down, though it would be a complete shit show.

M'Baku was by far my favourite part of the movie.
It was miles better than any other iteration of the character.

Unironically Facebook afrosupremacist groups post this with like zillions of likes

Like Spidey's radioactive semen.

>Shows that introduction of American culture to any society, even a magical fictional all-black kingdom, turns it to shit
ftfy

A lot of these involve details from outside of this film so I don't care about those, but M'Baku did challenge T'Challa in the beginning and didn't challenge any time after that because he obviously felt gratitude for being spared. Cap's shield is an alloy of vibranium and adamantium. The others are interesting though, thanks for sharing.

Killmonger shifted blame from colonialism to Wakanda for "allowing" it to happen, but that's not what user's talking about.

How?

He wanted to end the oppression of his people across the globe due to colonialism's long lasting effects.
He wasn't trying to install governments across the world. He was just giving weapons to the oppressed.