>desperate for more Black Panther

what's not too terrible Cred Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Agreement
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

See the flick

Read Kirby's African Indiana Jones on Acid run

Reginald Hudlin had a great run, easily the equal or better than Priest's.

Jason Aaron's Secret Wars tie-in is pretty well regarded. Evan Narcisse's Rise of the Black Panther has been an enjoyable recap of the character's legacy so far. Some folks enjoyed Jonathan Hickman's New Avengers, which features Black Panther pretty heavily.

I'd say the only run to ignore is the David Liss run. Its entirely forgettable. See how you go with Hudlin, but its not everyone's cup of tea. Likewise Ta-Nehisi Coates.

Coates. He starts off weak and ends weak but what you get in the middle is excellent worldbuilding.
Don't read world of wakanda unless you want to read about boring lesbians for several issues.

Christopher Priest's Deathstroke
Red Lion issues

lies
all lies

read Priest's Deathstroke

Unironically Deathstroke.

You have already read all the readable Black Panther in existence.

You've read the best Marvel had to offer when it comes to BP.

Is there a lot of red lion issues? Im thinking about picking the run up

Great Taste.

No. Do not read that bullshit. Well I guess it’ll make sense as to why the second T’Challa in Priest’s run was a complete buffoon

coates run has some interesting ideas
Its just so dragged out and verbose

The Secret Invasion tie-in was pretty decent, is only a three issues long though.

Hudlin and Coates sound like Whitey-blaming faggots in public statements, to what extent does their writing reflect that?

Can someone explain why Priest never went back to writing BP?

he didn't want to and he didn't/doesn't want to be known as the guy who writes Black Characters.

It's only two issues so far and it's a mini (so in total it might be what? 6 issues?) but Narcisse's Rise of the Black Panther has been alright so far.

Next week there's going to be a BP Annual with new short stories by Priest and McGregor so that might be good to check out.

Coates' main run is slow as hell and boring and Hudlin's run is the worst, Kirby's stuff is weird as fuck

Also I agree that you should give Priest's Deathstroke run a try.

TNC is good don't listen to Cred Forums

He's not an identity politics moron so yeah.

This, I was reading it issue by issue and got frustrated with it but it has some interesting concepts and ideas.

Does DC have Africacentric comics? Like what Jonah Hex does for the wild west but for Africa

Where is pic related from? Is it any good?

He's writing a short stories for next week's annual

I'll post the preview

Priest, Mcgregor, and Hudlin will be coming back to write short stories and this page tells you what they are about.

Preview for Priest's story

Where is pic related from?
New Avengers (2012) : Infinity tie-in issue

>Is it any good?
Fuck yeah

Hudlin is still on his bullshit I see

Thanks

Dont read anything after he becomes married.

That shit ruined T’Challa and Ororo alike

Preview for Mcgregor's story

The fact they got Mike Perkins back for it as well has left me with the biggest grin on my face.

And I don't care what anyone else says, I love Friend Ross.

holy shit I didn't even hear about this

Priest’s inferiority complex/self hatred is the stuff of legend. He only wants to write white characters (which is why Everett K Ross is the main character of his Black Panther run) and gets pissed when asked to write black characters which always gets him fired

Then there's Hudlin.....
Yes, and he can't write anything other than T'challa being a Mary Sue and he won't let go of his shitty pairing either.

I'm only picking this up for Mcgregor and Priest.

but Ross isn't an ubermensch in the comic

he literally gets cucked by tchalla

>Ororo
God damn it.

Yeah that's why he makes the white boy the weakest one.

Not to mention he has written a bunch of other comics with black protagonists.

>T'challa kills Doom once and for all because lol Americans can't take care of him for good.
Hudlin is shit.

McGregors conpleted stores are always Panthers (thing) be it rage, quest, prey...

>And I don't care what anyone else says, I love Friend Ross.
Do people not like comic Ross? He's more of a comedic relief but he has more character than Freedman's Ross.

He wanted Ross to be “Chandler from Friends” and to be an actual character while T’Challa was just a plot device

When DC asked if he would write Deathstroke he said that he had better still be white or he wasn’t doing it.

So, what will they set up for the next movie? I feel like they can make a subtle Storm spin-off, it would be really perfect. They can also introduce Doctor Doom, make Books of Doom related to it maybe?

The first Black to the Future story had Ororo in it, I don’t see why he’d deviate considering it’s an “Elsewolds” one shot story

A lot of black readers were annoyed by a Black Panther comic featuring a white guy so prominently. Priest himself initially planned to ditch Ross earlier in the run, but enjoyed writing him enough that he became a cast fixture.

Marvel preferred the idea of Black Panther being Marvel's "Blackman" rather than Marvel's Batman so Priest left.

>I feel like they can make a subtle Storm spin-off, it would be really perfect.
Why would they when they already established Nakia as his primary love interest?

I really can't think of a comic plot worth adapting that wouldn't just be a retread of the first movie.

It isn't good at all and that fight is off screened.

Fucking Hudlin man, that story sounds fucking awful. I guess DRUMPF declares war on Wakanda so all the Kangz rise up and take power.

His appearances on Earth's Mightiest Heroes?

Black readers were irritated that the book didn’t focus on T’Challa which I can understand. I don’t hate Ross but I’d rather follow BP.

>while T’Challa was just a plot device
Hardly. Priest wanted T'Challa to have an air of mystery about him, a sense of detached nobility, so a large bulk of the narration went to Ross.

Priest wrote T'Challa as essentially a high fantasy character, and used Ross' everyday narration as a way to balance it.

So what do fans of Priest's run think of the movie?

He was using Ross to hook in the average Marvel reader who weren't that into BP and essentially trying something new

>The character's name was, literally, Chandler for the first couple of weeks, until I settled on a Alex P. Keaton vibe in Everett K. Ross. Most fans assumed him to be a one-off of Michael J. Fox, and Fox could certainly bring him to life, but I was writing Chandler, not Alex. I had Ross appear in KA-ZAR #17 as a warm-up of sorts, a run-through with the quick-witted, sardonic half-pint, who effortlessly got Ka-Zar off of an attempted murder charge.

>With Ross in place, the book began to take shape. Ross became the key to making the book work. He was the voice of the average Marvel reader, who no doubt wondered why Marvel was bothering with another Panther series.

As for T'Challa yeah he said he didn't care for him in the beginning but if you read the comic he does give him his own stories and personality, and slowly puts him in the limelight.

>When DC asked if he would write Deathstroke he said that he had better still be white or he wasn’t doing it.
Because after BP all Marvel and DC were offering were Black characters and he didn't want to be typecasted. as a black writer. Which I agree it's stupid.

Priest wrote Quantum and Woody and he wrote for Power Man and iron Fist, he was involved in the early planning stages of Milestone Media and vouched for them when DC were being assholes against Milestone.

Yeah but no one was buying BP, Priest decided to try something new and as the comic went on Ross did become more background.

Then Marvel wanted a more urban BP and he did the whole thing with Kasper Cole.

>Black to the Future
Is Hudlin for fucking real? And I guess we’re getting his Mary Sue Blacktopia Wakanda as well. I’m fine with Wakanda being more advanced than everyone, but the whole
>Wakanda is down with the culture yo, open borders for black people, fuck whitey
Is just fucking stupid. The black people of Africa are just as competitive as the whites of Europe. It’s like writing France loving English people because “we all white”.

I wish they included Hunter as he is in the comics.

I agree with Priest’s review. Good movie, Killmonger is a fucking moron compared to Priest’s version, T’Challa is still learning but he’s on his way to becoming the preptime god. The movie is at it’s best when it’s not following the boring ass MCU formula.

I loved it. I'm a bit annoyed Ross was In Name Only and Hunter was axed, but otherwise I enjoyed it a lot. Wish they'd pointed out that Ramona was T'Challa's step-mother and not his birth mother, but movies have to stream line this stuff, and the Wakandan royal family is pretty extensive in the books.

Hunter would be an interesting counterpart to Killmonger. Killmonger is a black man raised in a white society that looks down on him. Hunter is the reversed.

I mean why not? Things are different from the comic book version. hence Killmonger being a title and not the actual Killmonger we know.

I kind of took the kids calling Bucky "White Wolf" as a callout to Hunter being out there somewhere (I doubt Bucky will take that name). Maybe the kids called him that because they never seen a white dude in their lives and have heard of the White Wolf and seeing Bucky could be them mistaking him for the White Wolf.

I don't think they will have him in the sequel especially since they just did "Evil version of the good character" with Golden Jaguar but he may pop out in the third one.

Yeah and I liked that Hunter was pretty nationalistic and a proud Wakandan despite his skin color and despite being discriminated by the Wakandans.

Man fuck off, Priest made T’Challa back into the preptime god. He was a fucking joke for a long time. Priest just got pissed that despite his years in the industry he was not getting the books like Daredevil, or Batman, or Captain America. As a writer you want to try different stuff, and Priest was just getting the black characters with the expectation he’d write about “black stuff”.

>I don't think they will have him in the sequel especially since they just did "Evil version of the good character
They could if they remember Hunter isn't a capital 'v' villain, he just thinks T'Challa is doing a shit job as king of Wakanda. Hunter has no ambition to actually take the Wakandan throne, he just wants his little brother to grow up and stop playing super hero.

Coates will put you to fucking sleep. He's so needlessly verbose and focuses too much on everyone else and not enough on T'challa.

I'm really liking that theory user, I have hopes he'll show up in BP2

I don't think black audiences would be comfortable with Hunter. A white boy adopted into the royal family of a black nation, experiencing racism and bigotry at every turn that turns him into a twisted enforcer of the throne? I dunno if they have the ability to get past the 'white guy grows up experiencing racism' part, particularly when they have such a utopian view of Wakanda and believe Killmonger was right.

And you can bet your ass there will be people saying 'why can't he be a shade of brown? Why a white guy? That's racist, reverse-racism isn't real and this character is problematic.'

>Be black
>Get tired of all this cringe because of the movie

Feels like people are cooning for this movie.

It's why I liked him and the New 52 Orm. They were antagonists and villains in a way but they didn't play into the "jealous evil brother who wants the throne" archetype like Loki and Killmonger. They didn't care that the hero was ruling (as a matter in fact both Orm and Hunter wanted their respective brothers to stop playing superhero and to be fulltime Kings) but they clashed with the hero because of their differences.

That said I don't know if Hollywood can do shades of gray like that when it comes to superhero movies.

They could pull it off if they keep the racism to a minimum, or at least just have the Wakandans just referring to him as an outsider or saying that a white person has no place with them, etc... it's not like it hasn't been done before.

Either way Hunter really didn't care much about how the other Wakandans viewed him, he just wanted to protect his country and wanted T'challa to have Wakanda as a priority and accept his methods just like his father did.

Pretty sure they would still complain about it even if he was a brown Latino, an Indian, or an Asian guy.

He just doesn’t care about the character. He’s more of a Spider/Xfag like most black kids that grew up in the 80s/90s. It will be interesting to see how the generation that grew up seeing MCU BP writes BP in the comics. Assuming comics are still around.

They would not be. They’re already asshurt about Ross and “whitewashing” the CIA.

I feel like he's more interested in using Black Panther to write a dissertation about blackness than writing a cape book. Nothing wrong with having themes and shit, that's the layer that makes for great books, but the first job a cape book should have is to be an exciting adventure story.

>see the movie
>killmonger isn't a 7'1" mandingo warrior
>suri isn't a 7'1" mandingo warrior
>the doras are bald
what's up with that

>the doras are bald
That comes from either Coates or Hudlin, can't remember which.

I don't know if he will ever show up but I am pretty sure Bucky won't take that name, if anything he stays as Winter Soldier or assumes the Cap mantle which are things people want more than him being White Wolf.

White Wolf is either just a throwaway Easter egg (which the MCU has done before) for BP fans, or if we're optimistic yeah it's a future tease for Hunter who is out there doing Dogs of War work.

This.
Comic Books are a visual/written medium. The writing should work well with the visuals, which means there has to be a flow between the writing and the action.

I'd say that first story arc starts off Okay and then decays into unreadable.
Probably the most disappointing final part of a story arc I've read... in a long time.

Is the Avengers of the New World arc better at all?

I doubt it. If Ryan Coogler is still at the helm, he'll likely keep White Wolf out since he doesn't seem interested in that particular arc and White Wolf isn't even that big in most BP runs.

It'll be curious, all the same, to see what they do end up doing. What are the chances that they write their own villains and characters, ones that haven't been in the comics?

>Ryan Coogler
Coogler has said he feels the Priest run is the one that influenced him the most in making Black Panther, and from what I've heard it was his idea to put Ross in Civil War so they could use him in the Black Panther solo film. You never know.

He said he took inspiration from Priest's run, and that he was in talks with Priest, Hudlin and later Coates when he was making the movie. Ross is in the MCU because of Coogler.

Again it's either a throwaway Easter Egg or he could be planning something, who knows. Coogler did say he likes family drama and that he's adept at it (especially father and son stories which was a theme for his BP movie)

But whatever happens I'm sure Bucky won't be White Wolf, if anything he will end up with Winter Soldier or being Cap especially since Mackie has no interest in being Cap. If he doesn't get his own movie he'll probably end up being in Black Widow since SebStan has a crush on ScarJo for some reason.

That panel is intentionally overloaded, right?

So taking bets is Hudlin gonna
A. Write a story where T'challa and Storm taking over the world results in the rest of the world bristling at being a Wakandan colony and forced to follow a foreign monarch, adopt a foreign culture and religion and call out the cycles of violence and hate
or
B. Portray T'challa's takeover as the best possible thing, where all the problems of the world are gone and everyone sings kumbya if they just let one man make all the decisions for everyone while marvel accidentally advocates for dictatorships and fascism.
My moneys on B

Also everyone's gonna job to T'challa and all the other black heroes are gonna loose all reason and loyalty and join Panther so Hudlin can jack it to his power fantasy.

>Wakanda is down with the culture yo, open borders for black people, fuck whitey
That sounds retarded. Wakanda would have the mother of all refugee problems.

>Jason Aaron's Secret Wars tie-in is pretty well regarded.

this but it was Secret Invasion.

>Focuses too much on everyone else and not enough on T'challa.
It'll prepare you for the movie though, how is the MC the worst part of his own movie

>last panel has clearly fucked up each figures line of sight
>skrull is glaring down at Panthers chest or lower
>Panther is looking clean over the skrull's head

What the hell

Sequel: there will be no refugees and everyone will silently ignore it

Or if they brave and not shit, Wakanda will be made garbage and overrun with refugees.

Wether Hunteris or isn't in the movies he's been getting more attention recently in the comics and he's being acknowledged in Rise of the Black Panther and that has been pretty good.

Get the fuck out Hudlin.

I knew Billy Graham had died, but not Rich Buckler.

F

He created Ross because he thought whitey would only read Black Panther if it was about not just a white guy but The Whitest Man Alive.

It actually predates all that shit. He wanted to do the world vs. Wakanda during his run. It's why the Watcher was at his wedding and was going to start because he married a mutant.

Shit's retarded.

This guy gets it

Volume 2/The four issue mini-series is my personal favorite

Hopefully they ignore what David Liss did with him.

They probably will or at least retcon it somehow especially if Priest is consulting or the writers are drawing from his work.

It feels like Liss just read a wikipedia stub and assumed Hunter was a poor man's Loki.

Yeah he wasn't suppose to be jealous of T'challa. He knew he wasn't going to be king and he never cared for being King, he's just a proud Wakandan.

But it's like writings can only do jealous evil step-brothers/half brothers.

Watch the BET Black Panther based on Hudlin’s rum. You’ll understand very quickly that he used the character and Wakanda to jerk himself and his ideological friends off about how evil and stupid whitey is.

Cant say much for Coates, cause I haven’t even exposed to his work in any capacity aside from hearing Cred Forums bitch about it, and you know how trustworthy these clowns are.

I have yet to meet someone who liked was Liss did to him, he was just a generic killer in his run, it was shit.

Did anyone like Liss' Man Without Fear?

Coates generally stays away from that in his comics, but they just haven't been very interesting.

Reginald does not.

Well, seeing that DC's hyper-advanced African city-state is populated by talking gorillas, I don't think you have the best chance on that front.

On top of competing with each other I very much doubt many of them have a very positive view of Black-American culture.

>>Wakanda is down with the culture yo, open borders for black people, fuck whitey
>Is just fucking stupid. The black people of Africa are just as competitive as the whites of Europe. It’s like writing France loving English people because “we all white”.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Agreement

No, I hated Liss’ out of character depiction of T’Challa. I’m base Hickman fixed it and that The Man without Fear/Most Dangerous’ continuity has been completely ignored in other books

>the Doras are bald
This came from Reginald Hudlin. They were bald with tribal markings on their faces.
And honestly I never knew I would be so attracted to bald women before I saw this film.

Basketball players can't act.

It's actually the exact opposite. Ross is sleeping with T'challa's ex, not the other way around.

It's a sin to lie user

The next notable run is Hickman's New Avengers. Technically it starts with an arc in Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF run that literally foreshadows the next 5 years of Marvel comics, and its cool, but it's not required reading. It's really good.

I like Coates, but I understand he's not for everybody. It's more philosophical than most, drags a lot early on (the first arc is 12 issues), and spends time on new characters nobody cares about, but it picks up after that.

Aside from wanking everyone black, his huge bias for black people, and his stupid pairing, how bad is Hudlin's writing? The dialogue also shit?

You act like these are separate issues but they're not.
A writer can say Wakanda is the greatest and show how amazing all these black characters are while writing a compelling story with believable dialogue. He does none of that, which opes him up to the worst kind of criticism... racist bullshit couched behind valid criticisms of his shit dialogue/plot structure/etc.

Illuminati stuff, maybe? Like in Hickman Avengers.

Coogler said if Marvel had the rights, he'd like to make Kraven the next villain.

Given the movie ends with T'challa talking to Shuri about setting up Wakandan outreach centres, I wouldn't be surprised if they adapted Priest's first arc and using it to show the issues that arise from Wakanda's new way of doing things.

Funny thing is that Martin Freeman said in an interview when he was talking with Coogler about the movie, he had no interest in playing an out-of-his-depth white guy.