So what's the big deal about somebody getting killed and stuffed in a fridge?

So what's the big deal about somebody getting killed and stuffed in a fridge?

>The one who raised a huge fuss about this is now one of the most reasonable women in the industry with regards to gender
What went wrong

slightly more context?

Comics were actually...kinda sexist. Not just looking back at the silver age weirdness- it’s a common trope to introduce a woman/wife/girlfriend only to kill them off.

Their entire existence was to suffer so as to spurn the male character into action.

Welcome to equality, cunt. You're just as disposable as the rest of us now.

oh that makes sense. i hadnt thought about it that way
but i meant who is this reasonable woman and how is she so reasonable

looks like she ran out of witts.
you actually need major force to put someone into a fridge like that....

I mean give me one girl Kyle has fucked that didn't meet a bad end?

Kind of like how male characters only exist in progressive comics to show how good a female character is by either openly declaring it or by acting as a strawman.

I want to say the only relationship that ended on mutual terms was with Donna Troy because her 1st family died in a car accident

improvement on being more disposable, to be honest

Gail Simone. Read her stuff (Birds of Prey, Batgirl, Red Sonja...), and all will be made clear.

>Comics were actually...kinda sexist.
Learn how to type like a normal person, tumblr.

Not if they're already dead and you break all their limbs.

No room for the veggies

Based Major Force
Underused af

>white woman bluntly points out sexism
>is more hesitant about calling out the racism and homophobia
Wew

It’s a common trope to introduce male characters just to kill them off or torture in various ways. Men suffer way, way, way more than women both in life and in fiction.

Are we somehow implying that characters in fiction are introduced to suffer indignities so the protagonist has some sort of motivation?

Regardless of sex?

The devil you say!

That happens to both genders you dingus, and is a sign of weak, contrived writing rather than sexism.

I recently went back and read some of the older Kyle Rayner stuff.

Alex Dewitt has been such a major figure in discussions of gender roles, women in refrigerators and all that shit, that I was pretty shocked at how few issues she actually appeared in. She’s an important part of Kyle’s origin story, but she was hardly a major beloved character in her own right. Given how controversial her death was, I always figured she must have been a big deal in the 90s. Turns out she wasn’t. Getting stuffed into a refrigerator was the most noteworthy thing about her.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think she was boring or badly written. For what she was, I liked her. But I don’t see her death being a motivator for Kyle as the huge problem I’m supposed to see it as. She’s there to service HIS story, because he’s the main character. Are people going to get their panties in a bunch over the Waynes or Uncle Ben?

Giving Kyle a personal tragedy helped to make him a compelling character and it established Major Force as a monster.

I'd agree. I enjoyed her issues because she was written well and a positive influence on Kyle. When someone's written well enough it provides even more force to the narrative if they died. If people didn't love yondu then they wouldn't have cared if he died

Gail Simone bitched about it for brownie points. (and probably to buy her a few extra days to turn in the work she was late on since she is famous for being late)

Hard left progressives took it as an attack against women, when it's fairly standard storytelling fair to have a villain go after friends/family of a hero they discover the identity of regardless of sex/gender.

It's was from a couple of "no hurting women allowed" nut-jobs who completely missed that fact that comics tell dramatic stories. Ones where heros lose family and romantic partners to evil, only to strive forward and prove themselves the hero.

>probably to buy her a few extra days to turn in the work she was late on since she is famous for being late

Sounds like a fun Saturday out.

Fuck off tumblr

he REALLY likes to put women in fridges, doesnt he?

Because it never happened to make characters

CARLOS

Never ever

Not once

Because as we know it's ALWAYS sexism

With Alexandra DeWitt, the fridging was pretty obviously just done for cheap shock value. The character had only just been introduced like 5 issues ago, and she'd never really been the focus of any scene. She was clearly just introduced so they could kill her off later.

Weren't him and Natu an item at one point?

Is she still alive? I can see her meeting a bad end, but more because of her dad and life choices than anything Raynor related.

AFAIK that was the essence of the original problem - Alex was not a character but a plot device and it was considered by Simone as sexist.
She then went full retard and made that website with a list of other "fridged" females, for example Ice, who had years of material in various Justice League books and heroically sacrificed herself.

>it established Major Force as a monster
I never thought that a character that's literally introduced during raping and strangling a woman while her little son watches from other room needs any further proof for being a bad guy.
But then, maybe killing Alex just introduced him as a monster to more readers - I heard Kyle as GL was very popular in its time.