So I've been thinking about Avatar the Last Airbender, since I've been rewatching the original series...

So I've been thinking about Avatar the Last Airbender, since I've been rewatching the original series. I got to the episode where we see the swamp waterbenders, and it really got me thinking. Imagine the shitstorm if Korra was born as a swampdwelling waterbender Avatar instead of a normal one. Would they even find her, or would the avatar be "missing"?

yeah

>she bends fire first and is treated like a demon child
>her mom is accused of cheating with firebenders or witchcraft

The writers were too prejudiced against white southerners to make Korra a hick redneck bumpkin.

Honestly I prefer a buff brownie and you should too.

Can we all just agree that Toph is best girl?

>Would they even find her, or would the avatar be "missing"?
That's actually a pretty interesting idea OP. Good on you. It'd actually justify a lot more of Korra's behavior (but not all of it) in season 1.

I'm pretty sure Korra would have already learned to waterbend by the time she'd also start firebending, earthbending, or airbending. And the swampbenders would know about the Avatar.

She is

>burns swamplands
>is found by white lotus
easy, OP.

Good job, OP. You actually put more thought into LoK than the actual show writers.

Wait for Four Elements Trainer book 4, I'm sure it will be better than the actual show

She's an awesome character and a powerful bender with a cool gimmick, I like her but I cannot consider her "the best". There's another character I like too much.

Crazy Azula is my fetish

It seems like the universe conveniently makes the Avatar easy to find. i.e. Roku just so happens to be best friends with the Fire Lord's son. Aang just so happens to be the student of the past Avatar's friend. Korra just so happens to be related to the Northern and Southern Water Tribe leaders.

Say that Korra was raised by the Swampbenders instead and had been enlightened by Guru Huu. How much more effective would she have been operating as an Avatar with inner peace?

Yeah but she wouldnt be whoring around like she probably would, and that's just boring.

>How much more effective would she have been operating as an Avatar with inner peace?
Considering that she was found at three years old and nothing is wrong with the Fire Nation, Su had her perfect city, and Tenzin is okay with having his family live next to the powder keg that was Republic City, there is no reason why she shouldn't have been effective as she would have people like that zen swampbender teaching her with their number in the White Lotus plus Su, whoever Izumi would pair her with, and Tenzin since she would be immersed in the new airbender lifestyle for a time.
It's just a case of bad and convenient writing that they tailored the plot to be the shitty things that we ended up getting.

the swampbenders would know... but would they share their secrets? They already keep secrets like vine-bending, if they had the Avatar they might just sort of hide the concept from the kid until they are already old enough to figure it out on their own (if they ever do).

>burns swamplands
You mean the extremely moist place filled with water and inhabited by waterbenders? I don't know how easy it would be to burn it down even with some pretty OP firebending.

>azulafags

Well for one she'd know that "pants are an illusion"
So at least she'd be bottomless for the whole show, that'd be pretty great.
Imagine Korra (assume she ends up looking pretty much the same) going around in what the swamp bender is wearing in OPs photo.

It's too bad. The American South is a rich well to draw concepts from, yet most shows and movies simply refuse to use it except for the occasional mean spirited joke.