Why is Tamako Love Story so good?

Other urls found in this thread:

desuarchive.org/a/thread/147367208/#147367208
research.similarminds.com/female-male-differences/3
vocaroo.com/i/s1BJLFsDprDU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You already made this thread today.

desuarchive.org/a/thread/147367208/#147367208

Simple but universal story told with conviction and a striking artistic vision. Vivid and expressionist imagery, realism and romanticism flawlessly intertwined. A modern masterpiece.

Low standards. For a story about love, two competing storeowner's offspring to be in love is not only an incredibly dull and common trope, there's no triangles to spice things up

There was a triangle but she gave up for the greater good. Drama would have killed the sweetness of that movie.

Because it had Mochi in it and he's cute as fuck.

Because it was made by Kyoto Animation.

Because Dera isn't in it

I want to marry her!

Tamako Love Story is fucking trash they shouldn't have gotten together

The lack of burd and Azunigger helped.

Clever posting but I still feel shocked because people out there think like that

A love story doesn't need a triangle or many conflicts.

not an argument, you're just saying 'kys' in more words.

This thread again?

It does very little, but that little bit is done really well

Manko chan should've been secretly in love with the mochi

you guys package this as the greatest masterpiece to ever exist, but that's still not gonna make me watch the abomination called tamako market to watch this

>two competing storeowner's offspring to be in love
PICKED UP

Because you have shit taste/are socially retarded? The love in the Love Story is awful. Every single character acts like a girl. There is zero chemistry between the couple, who seem to pretend they are in love more than actually feeling like they are in love. A big part of this is again, the fact that the guy acts like a silly pubescent girl, not a teenage boy.

So, it's "good" because the animation/directing is pretty and the music is nice, I guess?

No seriously, Mochi and his stooges acts like 12 year old girls, not highschool age boys. Are Japanese males really THAT emasculated these days? It's hard to imagine a band of bigger pansies.

Because romance is the best genre, and life isn't worth living without love.

You sound jealous.

Woah, different cultures behave differently, who would've thought

Because birds in anime has been trending.

This has nothing to do with cultural/racial differences. Is Tamako Love Story the only romance anime film you've ever watched? I think I got the answer to my questions: this was made by an all female staff of dorky virgins. So they made everyone feminine.

Not an argument.

Because TM shipped Tamako and Mochi so hard TLS had to put an end to it.

So all male leads in romance anime/manga act like 12 year old girls? On what planet?

It was trash.

Stop being mad that Ouji is cooler than you and got best girl.

This user is right. Yamada is really good at portraying girl dynamics. It's why K-ON is so damn good. Tamako Market does the same thing, but calls some of the characters male. Mochi even does that cute gesture with the hands over their nose that Mio does so often in K-ON.

It's a really, uh, weird romance. It would've probably worked better with an all female cast because it would have played to the strengths of the director. I'm not even a yuri-fag, but its pretty obvious that's what happened.

"Cool" is one of the last epithets I'd ascribe to Mochi. He's the epitome of a doormat "nice guy".

Because TM paced it pretty much perfectly. The fact that the romance was just a slow burning undercurrent rather than a constant in your face plot point.

>look at these pussies I was much more alpha when I was in high school haha!
yeah, sure.

Don't you talk shit about my husbando faggot.

It was average at best. It's like a romance story that didn't dare to be itself. Confession scene was entertaining, but that's about it.

Are you honestly positing that every single high school boy you've ever known has asked a girl out? Is that actually what you're saying? That the standard for teenage boys is to have done that before leaving high school? You're fucking retarded, my man.

>So, it's "good" because the animation/directing is pretty and the music is nice

Every Kyoanus show to be honest

It was a LITTLE bit charming. Like a really really small amount. I own it btw. The dub is okay.

>The dub is okay.
There is no dub.

Kyoani cant do romance for shit
They should stick to moeshit

Sorry to break it to you but I am a woman. There is nothing attractive about Mochi. I'd accept it more easily if it turned out he's a homo, so he'd be my gay guy friend.

Yes there is. It's done by Sentai. This DVD isn't my imagination.

For Tamako Market, but not Tamako Love Story.

Meh, same thing part duex.

>a woman making sweeping statement about male sensibilities
well that's even better

Being shy has nothing to do with it. He frets and gets all giddy over it like I did when I was his age and I am a woman. I expect an 18 year old guy to act a little more stoic and dependable. You know, boyish at least. If not manly. Plus, his mannerisms are extremey feminine. He acts like someone who would cry during romantic scenes in movies. That's incredibly off-putting, like you'd never even imagine.

The story didn't feel like a romance between a boy and a girl at all. I can't relate to it at all. It is what it is.

>btw im a gril
Here's your (you).

>There is nothing attractive about Mochi.
Nah, he's pretty manly, in the movie at least. Other than the fact that he tucks his pants into his boots, he really has it going on.

I half expected Mochi to put on a dress and come out as wanting to get a sex change operation while watching. Maybe he really is a woman, and Tamako is a lesbian? That's cool, but again -- completely weird and not relatable.

It'd be interesting to know what exactly you found manly about him.

>boys not acting manly all the time is bad
I can feel the tumblr welling up in me

There's nothing wrong with a guy having a sensitive side. It is a charm killer when he only has a sensitive side though. Same question to you: when does Mochi ever act like a guy?

Yeah, okay, your preference for men isn't really relevant to the quality of the storytelling or character writing, though. Just because Mochi isn't the type of boy you like doesn't mean the relastionship is bad.

when he masturbates to Tamako's clips

>when does Mochi ever act like a guy?
I'm like 90% sure that nutting up and telling your feelings to a girl easily puts him in the top 10% of guys in terms of acting like a guy, frankly.

This, her preferences in guys might be typical and her views of the movie are her own, but it's just a personal opinion. There's no use in trying to convince other people to see what you see, to view the movie as bad when others found it good.

I think she just doesnt likes closet homos

It kind of sounds like you wanted a male character out of a shoujo manga. I honestly don't have a problem with that archetype, but they're not that realistic. In real life, even "manly" guys have a vulnerable side.

>It'd be interesting to know what exactly you found manly about him.
-tall
-high aspirations
-getting into a good school
-confesses without stuttering or acting embarrassed
-takes charge when Tamako's grandpa gets taken to the hospital
-has cool hair
-cheered Tamako up after her mom died

You're trying to turn him into a beta nice guy because of a couple of moments of him acting goofy.

So, never.

Girls confess to boys too.

I just want a believable romance story, seeing as I'm a massive consumer of the stuff. This wasn't it. I don't need to like the guy, but I do need to empathise...

Why did people shit on the anime a lot but then do a 180 on the movie?

>-tall
>-has cool hair
I'm mostly talking about personality, not looks.

>-high aspirations
>-getting into a good school

I don't see what's "manly" about this. Girls have high aspirations too.

Same for the rest. I will give you this though:
>-takes charge when Tamako's grandpa gets taken to the hospital

My point still stands. He acts more like a girl than a guy most of the time.

>It kind of sounds like you wanted a male character out of a shoujo manga.

No, I wanted a believable male lead in a romance story.

So basically you're saying you need to self insert to enjoy romance. You can't "empathise" with male characters who don't fit your ideal because you can't insert into the female character, right?

>girls do x too
How is this a counter argument? Are you saying manly attributes are things that only men do? What's even an example of that?

>So basically you're saying you need to self insert to enjoy romance.

That's exactly what I'm denying though? I don't need to self-insert or sympathise with the girl, but I do need to feel for her. You know, relate. What's so hard to grasp about this?

No, I am saying that manly attributes are things that men typically do but women do not. Are you trying to say that women typically have low aspirations? That's extremely weird because I know virtually no woman like that.

Because what you're saying is that a male character needs to fit your ideal for you to be able to relate to the female character. It shouldn't be impossible to find a romance believable just because a girl likes a boy that you typically would not. If you can only sympathie with girls who partake in the sort of romance that you would personally enjoy, then that's the definition of self-insert seeking. You'd be able to empathize with someone even if they weren't like you, otherwise.

>things that men typically do but women do not
examples

>I don't see what's "manly" about this. Girls have high aspirations too.
Far more women are attracted to ambition than men. If I had to guess, I'd estimate at least 80% of women are attracted to ambition and success, whereas with men, it's probably less than 30%. So yes, having high aspirations and achieving them is "manly".

>My point still stands. He acts more like a girl than a guy most of the time.
>Y-YOU'RE STILL WRONG
okay

>No, I wanted a believable male lead in a romance story.
It sounds like you weren't attracted to the character so you don't want to believe anyone else would be.

Vote and not shit up threads.

>Because what you're saying is that a male character needs to fit your ideal

No, I'm merely saying that the male need needs to act like a male, not like someone who would like to be transfemale in a couple of years once he really gets to know xerself.

The fact that crossed your mind shows you weren't serious.

It's hard to give examples since it's a holistic thing. But take your pick:

research.similarminds.com/female-male-differences/3

Okay, so asking a girl out isn't manly because women sometimes do it though men do it more often, but then you post a list of shit that both sexes do but in varying degrees, which, by your very definition, would make every single one of them neither manly nor womanly.

Again, your preference in men is cool and all, but you can't make psuedo-objevtive statements about believability and overall quality of the characters and their relationships based on your ideal man. People who aren't looking to self insert are able to empathize with and find believable people who aren't necessarily like them. You understand that, yes?

>I really like Ayn Rand.
>male 2.04
>female 1.85

>I'm not a fan of subtitled (foreign) movies.
>male 2.52
>female 2.83

So you wanted him to have an imported copy of Atlas Shrugged on Blu-ray (the sub, not the filthy dub)?

>that comic
people like that don't actually exist, though

The comic is obviously ridiculous, but there were some people who were pretty close to that in my high school (ten years ago?). The comic is definitely a false dichotomy for a couple reasons. Anyway, while actual weaboos certainly exist, I don't think they're all that common on Cred Forums. At least not in the sense that they glorify Japanese culture, and think it's superior and shit. Most anime fans on Cred Forums, while they may be delusional in other ways, are not delusional about Japanese culture somehow being superior to western culture.

It's shit.

>are not delusional about Japanese culture somehow being superior to western culture
But it is in a lot of ways.

-low divorce rate
-dad works; mom takes care of the house
-cheap, efficient public transportation
-children able to walk to the corner story at night without fear
-people are polite and non-confrontational
-low rates of obesity

Every culture has it's pros and cons, obviously. Plenty of things are fucked about Japanese culture. I once saw an old dude collapse on the ground in a station and no one went to help him.

Nice buzzwords.

The undesirables should be allowed to perish without comment.

Sure. There's also stuff like absolute obsession with image, the overtime loophole, tertiary education largely being a complete and total joke. It's cool and all, but it's far from perfect.

>once saw an old dude collapse on the ground in a station and no one went to help him.
Bystander effect, not exclusive to the Japanese. You retarded racist.

Because Yamada

Well, if you want to talk about racism in japan we can lul

It's not.
/thread

This

I teared up when Tamako was chasing after Mochi.

Nice brain death.

This. It's not good, it's a masterpiece.
/thread

Best Kyoani movie after Disappearance.

The ED song was dope as fuck. I even made the edited version of it.
>vocaroo.com/i/s1BJLFsDprDU

I still believe that Midori love Mochi instead of Tamako though.

>I still believe that Midori love Mochi instead of Tamako though.
You must be slow.

Where is the evidence

None. Neither Tamako x Midori has evidence though.

>I still believe that Midori love Mochi instead of Tamako though.
This is silly. Not only is it pretty obvious that Tamako is the one Midori loves, but in an interview an interviewer brought up Midori's feelings for Tamako and the conversation didn't turn to Mochizou at all.

– It seemed like there was going to be no way for Midori-chan’s feelings for Tamako to have an outlet but that wasn’t the case. There was a new path and an outlet appeared for her. We felt like “Good for you Midori-chan.”
Yamada: That was excellent! We planned it like that. We wanted Midori’s emotions to be involved, but furthermore, we wanted to be able to do it without messing up our development of Tamako. It seemed like if we worked on Midori, then we couldn’t develop Tamako. I wanted to rescue her…. And then Tamako’s depiction worried me.

this, every kyoani has godly storytelling and animation.

>every kyoani has godly storytelling
>Chu2 Ren
>Phantom
>Free
>Kyoukai no Kanata
>Munto

And again not an argument.

Not an argument.

97 / 6 /

Assemble Kannafag!

Tamako it too dense and it ruins the whole movie. In the TV series it worked because there was no drama and due to the short subject matter of each episode, but such a character doesn't carry a feature length movie well, nor is it a good catalyst for dramatic storytelling. Because she lacks any defining characteristics besides liking mochi (how quirky!!) she lacks the most basic personality to feel invested in her story and lacks as strong a characterisation as Mochizo that would result in decent romantic chemistry.

The only reason people overlook this failing is because a 12-episode television series acts as a surrogate for good characterisation. Yamada didn't need to make Tamako at all interesting because most of the show's audience will feel attached to the character because of the time we had already spent with her and because the story is largely told from her perspective. It's perhaps a testament to Yamada's directing that she still managed to tell a story that is at least slightly engaging despite having the most vacant lead imaginable.

As much as I'm looking forward to it, this is the reason I'm nervous about Koe no Katachi, Yamada doesn't have the crutch of a series to support her characters

>Because she lacks any defining characteristics besides liking mochi (how quirky!!) she lacks the most basic personality to feel invested in her story and lacks as strong a characterisation as Mochizo that would result in decent romantic chemistry.
She's naive, cheerful, okay with saying blunt/perverted things, and happy with the little rut that is her life. The entire fucking movie is one big character arc for Tamako. It's about her realizing that her idyllic life isn't always going to be the way it is and how she's going to handle that.

>She's naive, cheerful, okay with saying blunt/perverted things, and happy with the little rut that is her life
so the basics of the dense archetype
>The entire fucking movie is one big character arc for Tamako. It's about her realizing that her idyllic life isn't always going to be the way it is and how she's going to handle that
and she handles it with that Disney-ass Mickey Mouse ending that, while I admit is cute, does not show he grow beyond her dense/idyllic outlook. I will agree with you that she grows in the sense that she's confronted with Mochizo liking her, and in a greater sense confronted with the idea that the world isn't how she seemed, but that doesn't give way to practically well realised character development (see the ending) and is hampered by the fact that the film tells the story of both characters parallel.

Not an argument.

I identified with Mochi pretty hard, I dunno man.

Decent romance without hysteric braindead things unlike Love Hina o Chuu2 S2.