What happened to ultra violent anime?

Andrew Cruz
Andrew Cruz

What happened to ultra violent anime?

Evan Jones
Evan Jones

It went away with the era of Japan's economic excess.

The real question is how did Genocyber, which isn't exactly high art, nonetheless turn into total garbage by parts 4 and 5?

Aaron Price
Aaron Price

They mostly existed as OVAs, which was a market that died when anime had more presence on late-night TV.

Carson Harris
Carson Harris

Good riddance. None of them were particularly good outside of the DUDE GORE factor.

Jackson Roberts
Jackson Roberts

The 90s ended

Easton Baker
Easton Baker

The 90s ended
Don't remind me.

Isaiah Jenkins
Isaiah Jenkins

OVA "market" died

Carson Ross
Carson Ross

Spriggan will never get a full length anime series
no cyber cold war

it hurts

James Hernandez
James Hernandez

Buy the BDs.

John Russell
John Russell

no super powered Hitler
That's what really hurts

Isaac Sanchez
Isaac Sanchez

I like Ohata's designs, but I don't think any of his works are really "worth" buying. There are so many damn problems with them. MD Geist 1 is probably the best (I don't know why people always say Death Force's "story is better" - the whole thing is like a barely-animated slideshow with an awful plot).

Charles Wilson
Charles Wilson

OVAs died and shounen trends changed

Connor Carter
Connor Carter

They became comedies.

Josiah Richardson
Josiah Richardson

that's a lie

Josiah Sanchez
Josiah Sanchez

Listening to take on me.
See this gif.
It syncs up perfectly.

Tyler Baker
Tyler Baker

Fuck you, user.

Isaac Nelson
Isaac Nelson

Look, it was for the best. The 90s were a terrible time to be alive.

Angel Lee
Angel Lee

No internet certainly makes everything looks grimmer.

Noah Barnes
Noah Barnes

the fuck

Nicholas Jackson
Nicholas Jackson

Can you honestly say you miss shit like genocyber?

Austin Thomas
Austin Thomas

there are people who don't know Blood-C

Brayden Morales
Brayden Morales

Hi MAL

Ian Baker
Ian Baker

Did you get turned around? Muh 80s/90s action is MAL incarnate.

Joseph Hill
Joseph Hill

I remember there was this one mecha series where two naked girls in separate mechs had their machines fuse and created like this big laser beam or explosion and later there was a guy just laughing maniacally. I can't remember what it was, but I think it was on the demon hunter kyoko VHS or something as an ad or maybe it was it was its own thing.

Jayden Johnson
Jayden Johnson

Hi, autist.

Jordan Harris
Jordan Harris

Do you even remember the last time any of those were profitable. Also this

Jonathan Ramirez
Jonathan Ramirez

Japanese soccer moms and their demonizing campaign on otaku ruined it for everybody.

Anthony Parker
Anthony Parker

I wonder what made the home video market profitable at that time to begin with.

You would think with the prevalence of different home media venues and streaming services today could point the way to a moderately healthy industry.

Oliver Gray
Oliver Gray

I wonder what made the home video market profitable at that time to begin with.
The same thing that made the otaku night hours profitable now

Charles Gray
Charles Gray

The TV industry wasn't focused on home media sales, so there was an opening there for OVAs to exploit. Then they realized people were willing to pay much more than expected for home media of anime, and as a result those sales become more relevant to TV anime and the number of TV anime grew, and OVAs lost their sales niche.

Hunter Thomas
Hunter Thomas

Then they realized people were willing to pay much more than expected for home media of anime,
All thanks to Evangelion

Ryan Hill
Ryan Hill

Nah, that's not what I mean. NGE helped them realize how many people were willing to pay, not how much they would pay. I'm talking about the actual prices, which went up because people bought rental copies after the initial run ran out, showing studios that consumers would pay those higher prices.

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Confirm your age

This website may contain content of an adult nature. If you are under the age of 18, if such content offends you or if it is illegal to view such content in your community, please EXIT.

Enter Exit

About Privacy

We use cookies to personalize content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyze our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners.

Accept Exit