Tomo-chan

Okay she's just an idiot

Title: Jun's vow
Panel 1:
Jun: I'll...give this to you.
Tomo: Really?! You sure?!
Panel 2:
Tomo: Thanks, man! How long can I have it for?
Jun: Once I...
Panel 3:
Jun: Once I become a stronger man than you, then I'll come take it back.
Panel 4:
Tomo: So you're giving it to me, then? You don't have to!
Jun: NO, YOU IDIOT! I'LL SHOW YOU!

>Jun: Once I become a stronger man than you, then I'll come take it back.
we got a plot point boys

>He wants to beat Tomo
>Not because he admires her, he just wants his game back

at last i truly see

>she lost it forever ago

change that first line to "I'll lend this to you" i just realized the last line tomo says doesn't make sense without it

that's what i get for speed translating

>Jun finally beats her in a match
>she gives him his DS back
>it's snapped completely in half again
>his mind breaks

>DEEPEST LORE
Just kill me

What if Jun finally got his DS back and he completely gave up on any sports and activity and reverted back to being a game boy?

>Once I become a stronger MAN than you are

Confirmed, Jun is/will never get back that DS. Thanks

Tomo's a dummy!

>Tomo's face of happiness just from getting a simple gift from Jun

So that's why Jun is so mopey all the time, cause he knows by now he's never getting that DS back

>b-baka

How long until we get to see this ds again ?

tomorrow
>memoir ends
>Jun: ...
>Jun: Hey Tomo, you still got my DS?
>Tomo: Your what? Oh right...
>Tomo: ...
>Tomo: Oh FUCK

And watch as the entire romance aspect gets destroyed like Jun's old DS.

In the end, it was all for his gameboy.

>All this plot and a massive gag at the end

MAKE IT HAPPEN

How old are they during this flashback?

They are 16 during the main story right?

It's not clear when exactly "now" is. But yeah, they're 15-16 in the main story. Tomo's the eldest of them.

I was hoping for more along the lines of her remembering what Jun said here, but that's less likely.

Tomo just turned 16 yes.

The flashback is roughly 10 years ago so 5-6.

>Tomo: Oh, I found it
>Jun: You deleted my save file!

>Romcom manga setup with the girl MC and the naive dense love interest
>Turns out Tomo was the naive dense one all along.

Well played Fumita.

jun's entire life after this point is just that one r9k copypasta about saving up one billion good boy points by starting a family

once he gets his game boy back he's going to become mentally 8 years old again

I doubt Tomo would remember at all, that is if we're under the assumption that every scene we've seen in the past was under her point of view. Too lazy to do it myself but it would be nice to see a contrast between the two pages showing Jun's POV and Tomo's.

>Tomo just remembers them playing as kids
>Jun remembers it being a struggle through hell just to keep up

etc

tomo's always been pretty fucking dumb

Tomo with them sick burns

She's gonna break it anyway

will we ever see this smile again?

getting a ds as a kid would be pretty big fucking deal for anyone

He has a console at home. Chances are, Jun gets the DS back immediately as Tomo's parents don't let her get games.

on second thought, tomorrow's not going to be the end of the flashback. Tomom still has to start thinking about grandkids.

Just need to give her a N3DS or the D

Jun BTFO.

>tfw you will never make a tomboy that happy

very similar smiles

>Jun finally beats up Tomo
>Tomo gives him back his DS, but is blushing
>Jun asks her what's wrong
>Tomo admits to using it to grind her pussy while thinking of Jun

>Tomo and Jun start dating
>the series keeps going
would you still read it?

Of fucking course. Imagine the shenanigans.

Not sure.

Of course. In fact I would read it even long after their children get married. I wanna see the grandkids.

I'm imagining her pulling it out of a box that also has a vibrator in it.
You can't do that wordless, can you? It seems like it'd either come across as crude or too obtuse to be understood.

>So you are giving it to me?
Cute kid.

Dat Tomo bantz

Fuck yes. I imagine though Fumita would have to start writing on how jealous Misuzu is.

But seriously though, Tomo just understood what he was saying so well that she knew he was giving it away, but missed the fact that he was calling her a man?
wtf

0% chance of this happening.

This is a big part of the reason why I like Jitsu Wa so much.

You can understand this as him calling himself a man. Tomo probably still didn't figure out she's a girl yet.

>Tomo comes home with Jim's DS
>Parents see Jun & Tomo are injured
>Parents think Tomo beat up Jun for the DS
>Tomo isn't allowed video games anymore

What if Tomo didn't learn that boys and girls were different things until she hit puberty?

>Tomo probably still didn't figure out she's a girl yet
>Tomo doesn't realize she has a vagina until jr high

Lel

>Sad, but I can see this happening.
Jun's parents, when?

Yes!

This won't happen, but all the best stories in anime / manga continue after the OTP starts dating. Absolute top tier romance starts with a confession in the first chapter, and they're dating for the rest of the series.

>first chapter
No I like some build up and characterization before a couple gets together. The trick is getting them together before getting into "COME THE FUCK ON I KNOW YOU GUYS WILL END UP TOGETHER SO STOP WITH THE BULLSHIT" territory.

Kare Kano did this flawlessly, and it's the greatest love story ever told.

Did Jun really call Tomo a man? Or this some sort of translation error or something?

This is way before Jun found out Tomo is a girl

So basically what happened in Horimiya.

>So you ARE giving it to me!?

Damn, Tomo. Whip out your 17 incher while you're at it

This face is a miracle of the universe.

This is making me think. Hypothetically if Tomo and Jun start dating, would there be a sex scene?

Jun would be a blushing bride for longer than tomo would be.

Yes.
But a Carol/Misuzu sex scene instead.

It could simply be read/heard as him saying he's going to become a man with the attribute of being stronger than her, without an implication that she is a strong man as well.

>俺が 「おまえより強い」 男になったら

man fuck moonland
how do they get away with being so vague all the time

him saying "when i become a man who is stronger than you" would be really bizarre in english though so translation's hands are tied

There was in Kare Kano.

But no, there won't be. I very much doubt that we'll get a kissu. The two of them getting all lovey-dovey would shift the tone of the manga far too much. Personally though, I'd be super into it.

>No kissing.
How can a hentai artist get away with being such a prude?

I think "that is" or "that's" over "who is" would roll better.

it's still awkward as fuck, no one would ever say that

Translation is always going to be tricky when it relies on subtleties. They can get away with not using pronouns at all when we've got translators uncertain whether he's supposed to be thinking "him" or "her" in places where leaving it out or using a third option is just awkward.

>When I become a man who's stronger than you
Why? Because it sounds too formal?

>jun doesn't want to see Tomo as a woman
>not because he thinks being in love with her would ruin their friendship
>but because he promised to "become a better man" than her and he can't do that if she's a girl
>if jun thinks of her as a girl, he'll never get his DS back

IT MAKES SENSE

IT ALL FINALLY MAKES SENSE

Just "when i become a man stronger than you" works

when you split it up into five lines in a text bubble, it would sound weird.

If you were starting by writing it in plain English without using a Japanese original text, he'd probably phrase it just as something like "when I get stronger than you" while leaving the word "man" out of it, or adding on some form of "when I grow up" instead.

That's just sloppy grammar. You could certainly make an argument for it working for the character, but it's not really correct.

it just doesn't sound like something anyone would ever say in real life, especially not a 7 year old kid. translation-ese makes me want to kill myself every time i resort to it

No it doesn't. If he thinks of her of a woman he can just beat her with the cock

No one would ever say it. Ever. It's just awkward.

>When I become a stronger man than you
>I'll come back and take it from you!
Not awkward.

Anyway, I think is fine.

>tomo blushes and reaches into the box, gameboy et al. fall out
>vibrator lands on the floor
>jun's hand picking up only his gameboy
>walks out of the door while Tomo looks on

I think that could work.

it wouldn't sell it as a sextoy, though. it would just read as slapstick.

Implying an innocent girl like Tomo has a vibrator.
>This will ever be in your fantasies only.

Correct, the way it is written isn't awkward.

Wow just plain cruel tomo.

Well I tried. I'm certainly no comic artist.
Sexual innocence is highly overrated.

I know that, but that wasn't what I meant by that because if that was trully what Jun said then Tomo just missed a important opportunity to clear a big misunderstanding.

So wouldn't it be better leaving the word "man" out or "I'm going to become a stronger person than you", English can be vague as well.

You'd say man, though. The implication is roughly the same. Tomo even uses boyish pronouns, so she wouldn't notice/care anyways.

It's natural-sounding, sure, but written as such in English it has an additional connotation that he's saying Tomo is a strong man. Which, of course, is what he actually thinks at this point in the story, but him saying that out loud to her also necessitates her hearing it and then ignoring it. In the original, it's easier for her to hear "man" in the sentence and take it as Jun referring to himself and not to both of them.

I'm calling bullshit on that. Even in English the saying "being a stronger man" quite reasonably could be used for either gender, and its use as such would only MAYBE raise an eyebrow, and even then only that. Furthermore, Tomo uses male pronouns, so she wouldn't notice/care.

Her hearing it as "you're a strong man" and completely ignoring it is also in character for her.

>Tomo uses male pronouns, so she wouldn't notice/care.
that might be pretty uncertain while in this case, let's say Jun did In fact imply tomo being a man she didn't notice at all, but she would care if the idiot would pay attention.

Could you please rewrite that sentence, I can't quite understand what you're trying to say.

Sure.

>Could you please rewrite that sentence, I can't quite understand what you're trying to say.
that might be pretty uncertain while in this case, let's say Jun did In fact imply tomo being a man she didn't notice at all, but she would care if the idiot would pay attention.

She is adorable.

>americans will get triggered by this

No. What he said could be also translated as "I'm going to become a man who is stronger than you". You can read into the sentence that he sees her as a boy, but it does not imply it directly. Classic Japanese.

>Jun just wanted his gameboy back

TOMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

My man.
Bonnouji is a great example of saucy action after their confessions.

>it's not love
>it's not even the desire to beat her
>he just wants his Nintendo back
Manga of the decade.

Innocent girls can have lewd bodies and lewd bodies get hot. Though honestly I kinda agree, she seems like the type to ask rosa palmer for help instead. (Unless misuzu gave her a present)

Was Ferris really 13 when she had Carol?

Well, it depeds how it turns out. Horimiya got boring as shit once they started dating.

>there are people with taste this bad

So at last it is all revealed: Jun is not trying to catch up with Tomo because he admires her or loves her, he just wants his gameboy back.

>take it from you
He better take more than a ds

Tomboys are gay as fuck.

I miss her.

He's just tsundere, the DS is there to cover up his real reason.

I bet you fap to traps lmao.

That would never happen, but if it did the series would turn into Horimiya 2.0 which would be excellent

why

Blunt and self-confident. With every passing chapter, I fall a little bit more in love with Tomo.

I really wish it does go beyond the confession/first kiss, but I doubt it will. The manga is moving too slowly for that to happen, it hasn't even been a full year yet in their timeline.

I want this to hurry up and progress to summer so we can admire the quality of the artwork in the beach/hot-spring chapters.

Bump

How did it go from "I want to be strong enough to be your equal" to "I want to be strong enough to get my DS back" in just one day?

It didn't. Everyone just thinks that because gag manga.

But it did. Jun says it right in the 3rd panel, he will become stronger than Tomo to get his DS back.

Don't be retarded. It's a cliche and an excuse.

Wanting his game back is a much more plausible reason for a 7 year old than grown-up stuff like pride and honor.

And it was something he said while a child. it's obvious that reason has evolved into trying to catch up with or surpass Tomo in skill.

A seven year old doesn't really understand the 'morality' behind their friend sacrificing their well being for them, so let's not talk plausibility.

He probably forgot about it until now

A seven year old doesn't really understand the 'morality' behind their friend sacrificing their well being for them

Exactly. So it is much more realistic for a 7 year old to just feel gratitude for getting his game back, letting his friend borrow it as a reward, then wanting it back after a short while.

>Exactly

No, you don't understand what I'm saying. I'm saying the situation lost all plausibility when Jun said he wanted to become a stronger "man" than Tomo. The thing about taking back the DS is just a gag/cliche/excuse and isn't meant to be taken seriously, which I thought was incredibly obvious.

Why would the situation lose plausibility because he wants to be stronger than Tomo? To a 7 year old, it would seem like a perfectly achievable goal, like becoming an astronaut. His anger in the 4th panel demonstrates that he is perfectly serious in wanting his DS back.

Is it obvious though? He has often stated that he is trying to catch up, but he never says why. And from the sleep-over arc, we know that he is still a gameboy. Maybe he still just wants his DS back.

>Why would the situation lose plausibility

Because again, he's fully aware of the sacrifice Tomo made just to get him back his DS. The DS is the catalyst. It's what he has given himself (and physically to Tomo) to work towards. It's not like she stole it from him so he has to work his ass off to get stronger, beat her up, and get it back. She clearly would give it back at any time to him especially with all the effort she went through just to get it back for him. So no, him only wanting to get stronger to get back his DS is gag at best, idiotic at worst.

The fourth panel is him getting pissed off at Tomo for mocking him with the whole "so, you'll never be stronger than me and I'll get to keep it". It has nothing to do with the DS.

>Because again, he's fully aware of the sacrifice Tomo made just to get him back his DS
And he has rewarded her with letting her borrow the DS, just as how a 7 year old show gratitude.
>It's what he has given himself (and physically to Tomo) to work towards.
Right, he is working towards getting his DS back, not to beating Tomo or being her equal, he just wants his game back.
>him only wanting to get stronger to get back his DS is gag at best
But you just said that it was his goal
>It has nothing to do with the DS.
He would not have reacted as strongly if he did not think he could get the game back.

>Right, he is working towards getting his DS back, not to beating Tomo or being her equal, he just wants his game back.
Are you listening to yourself?

>And he rewarded her

??? He rewarded her by giving it to her crying and saying how he's going to get stronger? Stop basing your entire thought process on this one page and the logic of a real life seven year old.

>But you said that it was his goal

It's his excuse to get stronger than her. Why the fuck would he give it to her and go on a tirade about him getting stronger to get it back? If he only cared about the DS, he wouldn't have given it to her in the first place. Use your fucking head.

never change Cred Forums

The bait is strong with this one

>Why the fuck would he give it to her and go on a tirade about him getting stronger to get it back?
He cared about the DS, but felt obliged to reward Tomo for getting it back for him. It seems pretty clear to me that he only means for her to temporarily have the DS with the intention of getting it back eventually.

I'm only messing with you, what better way is there to bump a thread? But I have to go to bed now, maybe someone else can continue this? See you TOMOrrow TOMOhawks.

>Spoiler

Well played