How much value do you put into visual direction?

How much value do you put into visual direction?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8-lNsV2IUoM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Enough to see that you're baiting.

These shows actually look unironically better than most

This.

I find the direction in OPM pretty conventional.

This. Idiots don't know good visuals when they see them.

>1 for each year
>2 for 2016
Get Re:Zero out of here and find a 2009 anime, you lazy fuck.

>Anime
>Art direction
As much as I like some of these shows 99% of the time they are dull or average looking with some neat visuals from time to time.
The way anime is done does not leave a lot of room for the visual storytelling or art direction.
OVAs, manga or movies on the other hand...

Here is your ((You))

>>>>>not MB100

Not really. Only SAO and Kimi have good production values, and the rest range from garbage looking to mediocre.

madoka's art direction was good

None.

>re:zero 2016 choice
>not MP100

Art direction is more complex then just looking beautiful. It creates atmosphere, sets the tone of a scene, and can tell a complex story without any characters saying anything. So, yeah. I think it's pretty important. My ranking is

1. Writing
2. Dialogue
3. Art Direction
4. Audio Design
5. Character Design

SnK and Mekakucity both looked like garbage, Re:Zero and SAO were pretty average, and OPM "looked good" but mainly as an animation highlight.

Re:Zero's animation was pretty average and QUALITY showed up on occasion, but it had really creative visual direction.

Madoka also had a ton of QUALITY, but I honestly don't care about technical skill in animation when it comes visual direction as much as I do with having the visuals convey actual meaning to the story, and being aestheticly unique.

Kyoani is so overrated in this regard. If solid animation quality is all you care about, US animation eclipses any anime.

>US animation eclipses any anime.
EL OH EL

Re:Zero and Madoka were both poorly directed. Madoka was narrowly saved by aesthetics, though.

Reddit zero was very average looking.

>Mekaku shittyactors
>Visual direction
garbage thread. Into the trash it goes.

You just don't understand QUALITYkino

That one is actually good.

Re: Zero was only watchable because White Fox know what they're doing. It wasn't poorly directed in the slightest.

>that retarded melodrama and edginess
>well directed

This has got to be fucking b8. Both of those shows can attribute a great bit of their popularity to the directing.

>thunderbolt
My nigga.

The US used that kind of animation decades ago.

What the hell are you talking about? Re:Zero's adaptation could have been easily botched and basically not talked about at all. It's source material isn't that outstanding in the slightest, and the anime is generally way more highly regarded than the LN or Manga. Re:Zero was basically unheard of until the adaptation.

The directing had a ton to do with it's success.

is this hyouka
i never finished it

ultra bait.

People watched it because it's edgy, has time travel shenanigans and waifus. That's it. The direction was really bland.

SAO was generic as fuck
Rezero was the same, except half the cast had same face syndrome

Which Thunderbolt episode? The direction style changed between them.

Okay, you're clearly an idiot. You don't even understand the capacity of things in which the director has an influence on. All those criticisms you're throwing out, not only are they just plain stupid and wrong, but not in any way relevant to the direction of the show. Your beef is with the source material.

Not him, but you sound like the idiot, not him. His argument is that the directing wasn't important to its success, so he's listing reasons people watched it that aren't relevant to the directing.

Are Retard:Zerofags now pretending that their mediocre, fading show had even remotely good direction?

Isn't that just "art style"

I remember Reddit:Zero being hyped a lot here before the anime aired.

This is a very good thread

Story > character design > seiyuu > background art > animation

can someone give me a rundown on what's wrong with this scene? I know the perspective for takane is off around 8 secs in and the animations a little stiff, but it still looks relatively fine.

SAO has production dosh but their actual direction with it is pretty standard and cookie cutter.
2012 huh? Psycho PAss came out that year right? I'd say it had better visual direction than the generic JRPG/Final Fantasy shtick that was SAO's aesthetic

Psycho Pass looked a shit ton worse than SAO.

Katanagatari has the best visual direction of the bunch

>1. Writing

>reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeddit:zero
>visual direction

lol

it was pretty average

Fucking kill yourself my dude

The backgrounds look very low quality, the explosion effects are very simplistic, the animation is stiff, the editing seems off, for example at sec 14 when she shoots a pig balloon from behind with her right arm, the next shot is a close up of her left arm shooting what it appears to be the same pig? Or maybe it was a different one but the fact that I'm confused about the continuity of the shot shows that the editing was sloppy. There's also a couple of other shots that confuse me.

This. SAO never had QUALITY and had much more sakuga than psyco piss.

Can somebody teach Shaft how to into shot composition?

>Re:Zero
>Not mob psycho

Are you blind?

rip beestle girl

I feel like someone who only got into anime within the last month or so could say this over calling out all of the rest of the bait in the chart

Fuck off, I did this first.

even worse than OP's

It was supposed to be a troll post back when I first did it.

even worse than OP's in that regard too

>mobshit
>space blandy
>hibikek

At least you tried, 1/10

>Wanting credit for something you posted anonymously on a Syrian boardgame wiki

Pathetic desu

>wanting style over substance

Solid choices. I'd argue Mahoutsukai No Yome has great direction even though it's held back by stiff dialogue.

>being an apologist for ugly anime

MP100 has absolutely stunning animation but its direction is mediocre, Re:Zero is the other way around.

why is that any anime with any ounce or visual flair or personality people are so quick to say "lolstyle over substance"

I don't understand how anyone could watch mob and come up with that opinion

Mob has great animation and good direction. Re:Zero has bad animation and mediocre direction.

Keep telling yourself that Mob and Space Dandy weren't visually outstanding

just cause you don't like a show doesn't mean its animation and direction are bad

It's all wasted when you have that shit-terrible character design.

>not Hyouka for 2012

You have no idea what you're talking about

>quoting mob and dandy but not eupho

it's a fucking bait image

are you serious?

So this year's top anime is a close race between yet another anime film geared toward normalfags that I might get around to watching. And its contender, a show that keeps 6-7 active threads up on Cred Forums and is commonly known as reddit:zero that looks so average, especially with the 5.0/5.0 rating on CR, that I dropped it before episode 1.

If you want substance, it's found in years past works.

> tl;dr New Game is AOTY; Nene is BGOTY

I can get behind this.

>that I dropped before episode one

Do you think this statement is supposed to sound smart? You sound like a retard who exclusively listens to e-celebs like Digibro on what you should like/watch and dislike/not watch.

Please acquire an actual personal set of opinions you underaged drone.

>this year's top anime is a close race between kimi no na wa and re zero
says fucking who?

>2014
>not Mahouka

>Two SHAFT shows
I can somewhat see how someone could put Madoka in here but SHAFT's visuals are fucking retarded, especially in Mekakucity Actors

Somehow I noticed this before sao, aot and one punch man

Shinbo's a hack, he's been pulling the same tricks since 1994

youtube.com/watch?v=8-lNsV2IUoM

we're talking about madoka here

>AoT
Remember that time they didn't even fucking color the ground?
>SAO
Remember how the only good artwork was the backgrounds? Unless you were dumb enough to think Starburst Stream looked good because there were pretty lights everywhere.

Woah there brother, you seem to have some incorrect opinions on those charts.

Please refer to this one and fix your charts to actually reflect good anime

Let me fix that for you:

Any anime
Any comics
Any movies made by Hollywood after 1950
Any TV shows
Any novels written after 1990

>Mekakushitty CGI
>good visual direction

>Expecting an anime not to have shitty CGI
>in 2016

The time between season is terrible.

it's animation's best selling point compared to other medium, so a lot

> keeps 6-7 active threads up on Cred Forums and is commonly known as reddit:zero

This is where my image of the show is formed, fagget

> a retard who exclusively listens to e-celebs like Digibro

Not sure what that is, I guess some gay shit you're into?

> bullshit, bullshit, etc. ... drone

I'm a drone while you defend this generic 2016 anime literally marketed to 14 year old Japanese kids. Good talk.

Is this post supposed to be bait or are you just retarded? I honestly can't tell

>>>Re:zero
>Visual direction

It was forgettable style wise. Animation and character design was bland and forgettable desu.

Hell, Danganronpa EASILY had better style direction. Or kiznaiver, as triggered as that show makes Cred Forums, had good character design and very crisp animation/style.

>My opinion of the show is negative because of its popularity

Okay

OPM looked bad besides the fight scenes.

mob looks bad all the time