Which is THE anime soundtrack of the last decade?

Which is THE anime soundtrack of the last decade?

Pic not related; I'm just listening to it now, and I'm loving how atmospheric and drawn-out it is.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/r5_OpBw8t3s
youtu.be/SyyYfQbwOgA
youtube.com/watch?v=hrLvoyFpLGc
youtube.com/watch?v=YIO9nXW08Gg
youtube.com/watch?v=3WiR6q6TiJI
youtube.com/watch?v=NeF8xLhQtu8
youtube.com/watch?v=TTiOhl6gRtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4CE7C8570BEE35B0
youtube.com/watch?v=wv5TOyh6Tg4
youtube.com/watch?v=la_b5AUmJMs
youtube.com/watch?v=k3MoKDa-Lzs
youtu.be/rkpu4Ruz8i4?list=PLMTCIgZ9bzxQ_YltpSaxrmrdc84aRabRU
youdubber.com/index.php?video=0qo78R_yYFA&video_start=0&audio=v25MaXwopNI&audio_start=0
youtube.com/watch?v=Vcrb6365GsQ
youtube.com/watch?v=vOcgOcY4iaE
youtube.com/watch?v=yIT-qkGqYC4
youtube.com/watch?v=ewBOcdz29Sw
youtube.com/watch?v=XHakl2bMQYI
youtube.com/watch?v=ONnLrnziaUE
youtube.com/watch?v=7LX1x_rZ-T8
youtube.com/watch?v=v25MaXwopNI
youtube.com/watch?v=24Ea_mJ5hzE
youtube.com/watch?v=jFPFh4SFW18
youtu.be/oGD_NzLnIHU?t=1m15s
youtube.com/watch?v=ntzkOwoE65k
youtube.com/watch?v=7zLZbgenBjU
youtube.com/watch?v=QGgYSqT_S4Q
youtube.com/watch?v=EYLGuczHfWU
youtube.com/watch?v=f0YKo8tx4x0
youtube.com/watch?v=CHhq5M-yNcQ
youtube.com/watch?v=0zHtWlhXDXo
youtube.com/watch?v=cKYYlzl-4Xs
youtube.com/watch?v=RHP_9heGEKo
youtube.com/watch?v=17TDiBQ0pAE
youtube.com/watch?v=g02nDryupqU
youtube.com/watch?v=GcZP0lGk_Nk
youtube.com/watch?v=doEwWzMz99A
youtube.com/watch?v=pIHXQHztvzw
youtube.com/watch?v=KbJanCYONrk
youtube.com/watch?v=vRGoU8nKpJE
youtube.com/watch?v=QKTVbUMBeao
youtube.com/watch?v=sFI65Zbm2x4
youtu.be/7MAtwGwSQ74
youtube.com/watch?v=OUpsKUva9RQ
youtube.com/watch?v=qdjYPxFMi7c
youtu.be/yLD9mf5ebg0
youtu.be/QO2yKgfKkPA
youtu.be/m_xOskRGMnI
youtube.com/watch?v=dixsFSqdjmU
youtube.com/watch?v=S3q2PDL8Kqw
youtube.com/watch?v=cxwzlrXaqrA
youtube.com/watch?v=j4dmBZdRjLY
youtube.com/watch?v=voWvpabPr-E
soundcloud.com/vivio-459366146/sets/denpa-onna
youtube.com/watch?v=xBX-3jwH6MM
youtu.be/hNrXDrs352g
youtu.be/vlgwgEVBRUk
youtu.be/J2yzMhNkgsk
youtu.be/8CFdDzJaZw8
youtu.be/SHYElBX7hn4
youtu.be/84XVtCTeBUg
youtu.be/HZ6Ar3S7ILQ
youtube.com/watch?v=CwK_bD7Qb4k
youtube.com/watch?v=GBRA7kWingA
youtube.com/watch?v=OPfPZ9W_3R8
youtube.com/watch?v=HyCaXV4zurU
youtube.com/watch?v=6wzXxTQeq58
youtube.com/watch?v=9p-vepnUEfo
youtube.com/watch?v=D8LGZllK8ps
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Kara no Kyoukai.

If you mean this decade I'd pick Kekkai Sensen. Smooth as hell.

youtu.be/r5_OpBw8t3s
That'd be my pick for the 2000's. The original Fate had a great OST too.

Is Sawano the Hans Zimmer of anime?

Last decade is hard, 2006 alone had NHK ni Youkoso, Black Lagoon and Death Note.
In more recent terms my definitive favourite would be Aku no Hana. That OST really made the anime for me.
youtu.be/SyyYfQbwOgA

I'd say Samurai Champloo because it's still one of the only hip hop OST's.

Not this decade but I just watched Planetes because I heard some of the music from it

Infinite Ryvius had a GOAT soundtrack

I'm gonna write a bit about Iwasaki Taku. Each of his soundtracks sound generally vastly different, but there are also a lot common elements that persist.

For example, Victory (from Qualidea), S.Battle and Real World sound like pieces he wrote for TTGL, but they didn't make it in.

Sawano also has the same problem, but in spite of how bad and overdone his "battle tracks" are, he wins me over with the quiet, ambient ones. They're somehow more emotional than Taku's tracks, and I have no idea how.

I'm not saying Sawano's is crazy good, but don't shit on him.

Kara no Kyoukai and Mawaru Penguindrum

Zankyou no Terror
Yoko Kanno is a goddess

Kaiji

Agreed. I was surprised with the cold, barren Scandinavian tone.

It's incredibly powerlevel-ish; e.g. you can't tell it's from an anime - it sounds just like actual music a scandinavian band/artist.

You could listen to it in public and nobody'd bat an eye*

Just watched that one, I agree as well, the ost was perfect.

Others I enjoyed that don't get much recognition around here include the Sora no Woto OST by Michiru Oshima and the Canaan and Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom OSTs by Nanase Hikaru. So good.

Kajiura, Kanno, and Sawano are great too, but it's nice to give recognition to others.

Really good soundtrack, but the anime itself was a steaming pile of shit.

Nigga, you can listen to everything in public and no one'd bat an eye, unless they snatch your earbuds and took a listen for some reason.

Have to agree with this. My second vote would be the first Last Exile.

Not anime, but have you listen to Clint Mansell's The Fountain or Requiem for a Dream? It's really good

Spice and Wolf's was incredibly beautiful. It PERFECTLY matches the tone of the series; I haven't seen something matching so well in my life. Very warm, natural sound. There are even drums in the background that don't stand out, but rather compliment (no, that doesn't sound right; "support" would be a better match) the tracks themselves.

"Kagen no Tsuki", especially, makes me tear up for some reason. It's not one of the album's highlights, but it hits me in the blind spot.

Spice and Wolf feels like a damn сказка. Calling it a "light novel" just feels like a goddamn insult to it. It's leagues above those.

Русские вперёд!

I nominate Jojo part 2 soundtrack

Boogiepop.

Never seems to happen though. Sony Music has brainwashed a generation into only liking a couple generic composers they use over and over and over. Surprised Yoko Kanno is even getting mentione here but I'd also swear her last truly great soundtrack was Turn A Gundam. Nothing has stood out to me since and her efforts are all too short after that

Gundam Unicorn

Interstellar, worths watching?

Kill your self

Gundam Thunderbolt is a strong contender:

youtube.com/watch?v=hrLvoyFpLGc
youtube.com/watch?v=YIO9nXW08Gg
youtube.com/watch?v=3WiR6q6TiJI
youtube.com/watch?v=NeF8xLhQtu8

It enhanced the atmosphere and rush of the battles like nothing else.

Sora no Woto

Yes.

My brother.

Kyousougiga

>same problem

Nigga, everything Sawano does sounds the same with a few exceptions. Ever since Attack on Titan he's been rehashing the same fucking melodies and orchestral arrangements in every single soundtrack. The main theme of Attack on Titan is barely any different than the one for Aldnoah or Kill la Kill. Iwasaki is fifty thousand leagues above him.

>For example, Victory (from Qualidea), S.Battle and Real World sound like pieces he wrote for TTGL, but they didn't make it in.

Not sure how you reached that conclusion considering TTGL had like 6 different types of music in it, but if you insist (and Real World sounds like Soul Eater style).

>Sawano also has the same problem, but in spite of how bad and overdone his "battle tracks" are, he wins me over with the quiet, ambient ones. They're somehow more emotional than Taku's tracks, and I have no idea how.

You mean those piano tracks plastered with horrible Engrish like Aimer and Mika Kobayashi? Well, I guess someone has to buy that shit for Sawano to keep regurgitating it.

I'm generally not grabbed by anime osts too frequently and don't go out of my way to listen to them but I absolutely loved HxH's ost. BnHA also had a decent ost.

I'm almost done watching Turn A and goddamn that fucking OST.

You sound like a shounen tool

>Confirmed plagiarizer is a goddess
> it sounds just like actual music a scandinavian band/artist.
Probably because it was stolen from one.

ping pong the animation

youtube.com/watch?v=TTiOhl6gRtg

youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4CE7C8570BEE35B0

Has anyone ever checked out the Fractale OST? The composer was the only one on that project who actually delivered. It's especially impressive considering it was his debut work.
youtube.com/watch?v=wv5TOyh6Tg4

Of course he hasn't had any work since then. Maybe it's the curse of Yamakan.

Even if you hate Madoka Rebellion, you have to admit it had a nice, atmospheric soundtrack.

youtube.com/watch?v=la_b5AUmJMs

i think snk's ost isn't bad
youtube.com/watch?v=k3MoKDa-Lzs

youtu.be/rkpu4Ruz8i4?list=PLMTCIgZ9bzxQ_YltpSaxrmrdc84aRabRU

Probably. I'm not particularly into anime and haven't found too many that I find compelling on an emotional or thought-provoking manner. With some shonen I can get some simple escapism. Maybe you can recc something that might change my mind

>ctrlf "zetsuen no tempest"
>0 results

Seriously?

Gundam Unicorn baka

youdubber.com/index.php?video=0qo78R_yYFA&video_start=0&audio=v25MaXwopNI&audio_start=0

Not him but you either watch more anime and find good stuff or you don't watch more anime and stay where you are. It's as easy as that my man.

This. I listen to the soundtrack religiously.

space dandy or kekkai sensen

One punch man OST is really great

Gotta be Gundam Unicorn. And I don't even like Sawano.

Kaiba

no cause Hans Zimmer renews more than Sawano whose songs always sounds the same

really? no cowboy bebop?

youtube.com/watch?v=Vcrb6365GsQ

Of last decade, I'd go with either Joe Hisaishi's score for Spirited Away or Susumu Hirasawa's for Paprika.

For this decade, The Wind Rises by Hisaishi and Radwimps score for Kimi no Na wa. are at the top in my book.

not last decade, faggot

Anyways, I actually started watching anime because the NGE score blew me away and it all went tumbling down from there...

Have a helpful chart as my excuse for blogshit!

for anime series I would say Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

Gundam Unicorn

Panty and Stocking.

Nothing mindblowing recently, apart from that one terrorist anime. The Persona movies had nice soundtrack, too - I'm a fan of jazz-y stuff, but I wouldn't call that soundtrack of the decade or anything.

Probably not the absolute best, but I love the Trinity Seven and Ninja Slayer soundtracks.
Madoka is also good.

Tempted to get Gunbuster on CD.

Its pretty good

Which specific one were you thinking of?
I remember having to delete tons of < 30sec tracks that just were in-character announcements or something from my dl of the Gunbuster OST collections. If you don't mind this sort of listening experience, then go for it, Beyond The River of Time is one of my all-time favourite pieces of soundtrack music.

Zetsuen no Tempest
youtube.com/watch?v=vOcgOcY4iaE
Kekkai Sensen
youtube.com/watch?v=yIT-qkGqYC4
Death Parade
youtube.com/watch?v=ewBOcdz29Sw
Boku no Hero Academia
youtube.com/watch?v=XHakl2bMQYI
Haikyuu
youtube.com/watch?v=ONnLrnziaUE

Amazing movie, do watch it.

One thing that rubbed me the wrong way was Dr. Brand's "Love is the only thing we are capable of perceiving that can transcend time and space".

What were they thinking? It's like something the girls from a random idol anime would say; it doesn't belong here.

Also, I remember liking one of the Trinity 7even EDs, but was another shit show, like holy fucking QUALITY.

Cred Forums can hate Sawano as much as it likes but the soundtrack for Gundam Unicorn is incredible.
youtube.com/watch?v=7LX1x_rZ-T8
youtube.com/watch?v=v25MaXwopNI
youtube.com/watch?v=24Ea_mJ5hzE
youtube.com/watch?v=jFPFh4SFW18

I always thought it was a clumsy attempt at saying people do things for other people even if those others aren't around. It tied into the movie's theme about fatherhood and also foreshadowed the black hole ending. Wasn't well done however.

>1:15 is orgasmic

youtu.be/oGD_NzLnIHU?t=1m15s

No idea.
I can't read the track names on CDJapan, and I can't be bothered to search somewhere else right now.

Well that's the state of basically any big music corporation. You just gotta look hard enough and be open to the possibilites, and that's where the good shit is. Shame most people won't get to experience it though.

This one

Angel Beats may not be good, and Maeda a hack, but the Ost is solid. It may not be the best, but I find it one of the most consistent.

Girls und Panzer, both movie and series.

First post, best post

Zankyou no terror and gundam unicorn easy.

youtube.com/watch?v=ntzkOwoE65k
Bandai's money making machine.

Gotta be Mawaru Penguindrum's ost for me, it never felt out place and just consistantly great. youtube.com/watch?v=7zLZbgenBjU

The first hour was good. It goes full retard once they start the Interestellar™ travel.

youtube.com/watch?v=QGgYSqT_S4Q underrated gem.

For this decade, definitely.

Touka Gettan should be on that list.

It has a fantastic Japanese-style soundtrack.

>Shaft will never be this good again

youtube.com/watch?v=EYLGuczHfWU

Meme movie.

You mean from 2001-2010?
Definitely GitS SAC.
From this decade?
Hard to pick, ZnT, Dimension W, Sora no Woto, Gundam Build Fighters, Unicorn, Redline among others I can't remember right now are tough contenders.

What about Macross Frontier? I listened to that non-stop for almost a year.

Simon you're a fag.

Hey, I didn't make that chart, don't mistake me for a productive member of society or something.
That said, I'll definitely check out Touka Gettan, though the artstyle turns me off a bit...

No worries, just a suggestion to anyone who feels like editing it.

Just a warning though, the episode order of the anime is a bit wonky, so you might want to watch in story order, nor air date order.

>pretty go-
>*sees Sora No Woto
FUCKING BASED

also you should probably and Space battleship Yamato 2199 there (if you gonna throw Gundam and Macross there). It deserves to be there.

> 2006 alone had NHK ni Youkoso, Black Lagoon and Death Note.

I'd add DEEN/Stay Night there as well. The OST is the only thing that still holds up from that show.

youtube.com/watch?v=f0YKo8tx4x0

Always. Michiru Ooshima is always incredible in her OSTs. Sora no Woto, Patema Inverted, Rokka no Sales, Little Witch Academia, and so much more

No, I won't add anything to that chart. And no, I don't think anything objectively deserves to be anywhere.

>The OST is the only thing that still holds up from that show.
That might be true, but I seriously doubt it is any good. I hate fucking Type-Moon
The three I mentioned are the ones I still listen to sometimes. I like them not only as soundtracks to a series but as stand-alone pieces of music (as far as that is possible - if I listen to, say, some of the Black Lagoon tracks, I can't help but picture scenes and moods from the anime, you know?).
Other anime from 2006 that to me had good soundtracks but nothing more were School Rumble and Ergo Proxy (Paranoid Android doesn't really count) for example.

You're gonna be missing out if you don't, so i say yeah.

Yup, by far one of my favorites

>ctrl+f Aria
>no results
Disappointed. Origination aired in 2008 and the Aria OSTs as a whole are the only anime OSTs I listen to regularly.

I don't know if it holds up technically to some of the more classical-oriented OSTs in this thread, but I can't imagine a soundtrack fitting P&S better than the one it got did.

They had rejected all her rational (and as it later turned out correct) arguments because they thought she was being biased. So she started grasping at straws and basically pointed out that when it comes down to it, love is an incredibly strong motivating factor for people. We need something to hold on to, and the higher the odds, the more it matters.

Hell yes. Watching it in the theater was an incredible experience. It was the first time I've ever seen a movie that actually made the entire audience breathe as one.

>ctrl+f Horizon
>no results
Guys, please...
youtube.com/watch?v=CHhq5M-yNcQ
youtube.com/watch?v=0zHtWlhXDXo
youtube.com/watch?v=cKYYlzl-4Xs

Welp, I'm and I didn't saw about "the last decade" portion in the thread name, so I must say sorry and fix my mistake with this.

youtube.com/watch?v=RHP_9heGEKo

Yeah, I think she's easily the most skilled among currently active anime composers, but doesn't get a lot of recognition. Probably because she hasn't been involved with anything super popular except FMA.

Even her early work is pretty damn nice:
youtube.com/watch?v=17TDiBQ0pAE
youtube.com/watch?v=g02nDryupqU

>Texhnolyze
All I remember about its soundtrack is that it had the best goddamn OP song I've ever heard.
youtube.com/watch?v=GcZP0lGk_Nk

This decade?

REDLINE

youtube.com/watch?v=doEwWzMz99A

youtube.com/watch?v=pIHXQHztvzw

youtube.com/watch?v=KbJanCYONrk

My choice is Accel World
It used three album for its soundtrack. And it's all so fucking good

youtube.com/watch?v=QKTVbUMBeao
youtube.com/watch?v=sFI65Zbm2x4

One of the best Sawano tracks.
youtu.be/7MAtwGwSQ74

prob something like Akagi

Fafner
youtube.com/watch?v=OUpsKUva9RQ

youtube.com/watch?v=qdjYPxFMi7c

Attack on Titan, no doubt.

Say what you want about Sawano's works all sounding the same since he did the score for AoT, but my god, it's still orgasmic.

The epic tracks, the emotional tracks, the atmospheric tracks, everything. A perfect OST.

The only one

>Savor the harmony of the sky
>See that all is essential
>And understand that you also write the melody
Fucking beautiful

The evangelion music is all repurposed james bond music from the 1960s.

Yes, I can see why you'd jokingly say that.
But no.
youtu.be/yLD9mf5ebg0
youtu.be/QO2yKgfKkPA
youtu.be/m_xOskRGMnI

Not all. Only Decisive Battle (and the 50 other variations of the theme).

The real problem is that Sagisu has been recycling his Evangelion music for 20 years now.

I adore the Shiki ost, not nearly as good as whats been posted here but still.

youtube.com/watch?v=dixsFSqdjmU

this is a pretty good sampler IMO

Really? The only good thing about 3.33 was its pretty good soundtrack.
youtube.com/watch?v=S3q2PDL8Kqw

>Madoka
>Good OST
bleh

Also the lack of Yugo Kanno stuff is detestible

Can't find a link anywhere, but PsycoPass did have a very good OST

>No Yugo Kanno
youtube.com/watch?v=cxwzlrXaqrA

He makes the most memorable theme leitmotifs

Many of his soundtracks really only have that main theme going for them though, with most other tracks being by the numbers filler stuff.
And he doesn't really develop his themes either. Just repeats them louder or with changed instrumentation.

He does come up with great melodies though. A lot of his work for drama/movies is really nice too.

While he does have leitmotif variation all too often I don't think its true that his other tracks are mere number fillers (for that you have Motoi Sakuraba). The "Dominator" these is pretty distinct and kinda reminds me when Yoko Kanno uses signature instruments to symbolize different characters.

I don't understand why people keep praising the Madoka soundtrack.

The character themes and battle themes are amazing

Character themes were a hack and a barely recall any of the battle themes in Madoka, let alone Rebellion.

The only theme I recall is the bell-like tune that plays when something weird and creepy is amiss.

Other than that, Mami's theme is overplayed and the rest I just forget. I don't even remember what Madoka's sounds like.

Yeah, I like that track too. Psycho Pass doesn't have that problem as much anyway.

Because it is attached to a popular show.
See Hunter X Hunter 2011. The soundtrack get's a lot of praise despite being pretty much the weakest thing the composer has done.

Ninja Slayer

>Mami's theme is overplayed
I can't think of a time it plays when it wasn't appropriate

>I hate fucking Type-Moon

Why do people like you exist anyway? I get hating Fate or whatever but the entire company and everything they produce, no matter the genre or story? What the fuck is up with that?

I must be the only person to mistake Yugo Kanno as "Yokko Kanno", as at times he does have Yokko's signaturees when it come to some arrangements. (Also a Production IG work giving SAC vibes...)

In that regard, I wish Yokko Kanno did more recent series OSTs.

Post your favorite ED so I can judge your taste

>youtube took down most of their songs because of copyright
>japs won't even let me buy the songs

Fuck them all

Wait what the fuck is happening here, all of the songs are linked to that one you linked and were posted back in 2011/2012 but whenever I search on Youtube for the songs normally it gives me shitty covers and vocaloid versions first

Fucking youtube

youtube.com/watch?v=j4dmBZdRjLY

Can't you just torrent the OST?

youtube.com/watch?v=voWvpabPr-E

Tell me about it

>Was about to post DRAGON SLAVE theme from OAV
>Video taken down

A shame since the OAVs had such terrific soundtracks.

This is why piratery and torrent sites exists.

Denpa Onna
soundcloud.com/vivio-459366146/sets/denpa-onna

This.

>bartender
I am listening sountrack of this right now and holy shit it is good

/thread

youtube.com/watch?v=xBX-3jwH6MM

Yuki Kajiura movie soundtracks are out of this world.

Yeah, you and are both correct, but they botched it. Could've been better done, but it didn't ruin my enjoyment of the movie.

Not even joking, we got some pretty hype music from it.

This but in the reverse order you posted.

Okay, more precisely I just neither like Nasus writing nor Takeuchis Illustrations.
That said, I have no idea why I or anyone else should exist, which makes me confused and angry and sometimes I happen to direct these feelings somewhere, completely unjustified.
Might be that my "elitist" taste is one of the few things I take pride in, so seeing stuff like Fate be hugely popular triggers me just a bit.
Did that make things clearer?

kyousougiga, penguindrum, and samurai champloo are the first that come to mind.

forgot to add ping pong the animation.*

I love Naruto for introducing me to various japanese rock bands; they weren't that good in hindsight but it's what helped me get into japanese rock scene, so I appreciate it.

Clannad has some memorial soundtracks

youtu.be/hNrXDrs352g
youtu.be/vlgwgEVBRUk
youtu.be/J2yzMhNkgsk

I personally like Mushishi's ost. It has its own atmosphere

youtu.be/8CFdDzJaZw8
youtu.be/SHYElBX7hn4
youtu.be/84XVtCTeBUg
youtu.be/HZ6Ar3S7ILQ

>CTRL+F
>no satoru kosaki
youtube.com/watch?v=CwK_bD7Qb4k
youtube.com/watch?v=GBRA7kWingA
youtube.com/watch?v=OPfPZ9W_3R8

thread shoud've ended here

Wouldn't Has Zimmer be the Hans Zimmer of anime?
youtube.com/watch?v=HyCaXV4zurU

The Last Unicorn

3.0's soundtrack was absolutely beautiful. Meanwhile, 2.0's soundtrack was hype as fuck.

/thread

>Hans Zimmer
Only good thing this guy made was the soundtrack for TTRL.

Katanagatari
youtube.com/watch?v=6wzXxTQeq58

youtu.be/SyyYfQbwOgA

Beat me to it, a crying shame it was wasted on such a below average anime.

She looks like a man

How can other anime and composers even compete?

Also, fpbp.

I started writing down some of my favourites and ended up listing almost half.
If I had to choose only one, I would probably end up with no. 3.

Favourite non-ED song is probably Last Girl Standing.

Not even close.

All of the monogatari.

youtube.com/watch?v=9p-vepnUEfo

Shinsekai Yori and Shiki, of course.

This.
youtube.com/watch?v=D8LGZllK8ps

yes, my vote goes for Ping Pong too. Someone make a strawpoll

Honestly, I'd say Gundam Unicorn.